• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy On Thunders Wings

BugDozer73

The silence of the returning wind
The sun had only begun to set over the ocean surf, and so the shadows only just lapped at Sylas's boots as he walked down the road. He held a small coin pouch in his meaty green hands, his fingers as large as they were dexterously moving through the coins over and over, as if to materialize more of them out of thin air. He sighed loudly after finally accepting the count of 22 copper pieces and 12 silver. He had gotten a fair amount of money from this last job running some local bandits out of a nearby town stead, but the damage he had caused when he knocked them around was expensive, and he had ended up losing more coin than he made. He stowed the light pouch on his person, which itself was also rather empty: Simple leather armor and worn longsword. If he had more coin, he could afford some better protection: real metal armor would be no problem with Sylas's physique, but he would never commit to a full set of it: maybe he could get some half plate and patch it over some leather with some chain parts. Still much more functional and not nearly as restricting for his big form. Much like an Alligator, Sylas was big but nimble when he needed to, which caught more than one bandit off guard.

Sylas's longsword was worn, but in good shape. It was clear it was older and used often, but it was well maintained. In fact, the few things Sylas owned were much like what he carried with him when he traveled: old, well used, and as well kept as he could afford to keep them. In about an hour, he would cross back into the gates of Samu keev, not a penny richer. He stopped walking and turned to see the sun sinking into the glittering blue of the coast, now all alight with golden shine. The wind off the sea blew his hair back gently and cooled his face. He crossed his arms and took in the scene, relaxing while he could. The prospect of giving up his stubborn ways and signing a contract with one of the benefactors was not something he relished, but he was running out of options. He mused with the idea of giving it all up and serving food at the Levaith-Inn with Brianna and Susanna, and smirked at the idea of him in a dirty apron trying to move through packed tables on a busy night. Not something he was looking forward to, but maybe better than giving up and signing a contract.

His eyes settled on a strangely shaped rock on the beach, one that swayed with the lapping waves. His eyes snapped to attention as he realized the form was a woman and dropped his bag on the ground, taking off down the rocky bluff and onto the sand below. In a few moments he had gotten to this woman: she was short and lithe, in a basic soaked tunic. Her lilac hair was stuck to her skin and covered in frothy sea surf. her delicate fingers seemed to dig into the sand, as if she were clinging to the ground to not get pulled back out to sea.

"Hold on, I gotcha" He muttered to himself as he put his arms beneath her and scooped her into his chest, her form curling into him. He took her back some paces, away from the rising tide and laid her on much warmer, dry sand. Her skin was pale, and her chest rose up and down lightly, each breath shallower than the last.

Now, its important to mention that Sylas once was a simple swordsman with no aptitude for magic (not that he ever got a chance to go to school to study the arcane). It was only recently, within the last year when he made his Oath to Alfonzo Sawtooth, that he began to harness any sort of magic. Alfonzo had told him there was power in you word, and in your spirit. Those who made and upheld an oath could develop a strength of spirit much unlike anything else. He passed so quickly, however, that Sylas never received true training on the extent of his abilities. He had spent the last year (on top of trying to start his own guild and working many jobs) stumbling over his abilities and trying to hone them, to some success.

"Here" He whispered, and he raised his hand to her form, placing it on the flat of her stomach, against the wet cloth of her tunic. His hand began glowing a warm sea green, and the smell of the ocean intensified: color flooded back into her form and her breathing stabilized. He drained the last bit of healing he could manage and hoped it would be enough.

Purize Purize

Last edited:
The darkness rippled like water, reacting to subtle vibrations. Forgotten memories whispered on the edge of understanding, slipping further and further away until there was nothing. The dark water became like wind, whipping up and around to sink further into the endless expanse. Finally, a cold plunge came and wracked roughly, tossing and turning before everything settled again.

Colors danced through the darkness now, shimmering through Beatrix's eyelids as she realized that the world around her was solid and corporeal. Still dazed, she felt herself rise effortlessly, muffled reassurances reaching her ears as her eyes opened ever so slightly. The world was washed with orange and blue light from the late sky meeting the ocean in the distance-- then green as she was clutched close to something.... no, someone? Her whole body felt numb and cold, damp loose cloth clinging to her body like her consciousness clung to the surface of her mind. Suddenly, warmth bloomed at her center, spreading through the rest of her body, easing the numb feeling of pins and needles. "Here," she heard like a buzz in the distance.

Beatrix's eyes opened further, more colors and sounds filling her senses. She winced, realizing a discomfort coming from her back like some delicate part of her was being crushed in the embrace. As she looked around, things slowly began to come into focus and clarity. She was being held and all around was sand and water.

"Where..." she whispered softly, her voice cracking as her throat burned with the taste of sea salt. Finally, she looked up at her unexpected helper. A man dressed in haggard leathers, looked down with concern and concentration as his hand pressed firmly on her stomach. She pushed at it weakly, her small ivory hands dwarfed by his large, green ones. "Where am I?" She coughed again.

BugDozer73 BugDozer73

Last edited:
Sylas watched as her eyes fluttered open, and relief settle into his mind. She pushed his hand back weakly, and he lifted it away, and tried to give her some space.

"Easy now, no need to strain yourself" he spoke gently, like he was tending to a hurt animal.

"You were washed up on the beach right outside of Samu keev; you had some injuries. I healed you the best I could." Sylas reached down and untied his small water sack, half empty, and held it out to her. "My name is Sylas."

He brought his hand away and Beatrix sat up sluggishly, feeling as though she were waterlogged to the very core of her being. As she became upright, the irritated ache in her back lessened, but twitched and flittered, which was a weird sensation, but she had bigger concerns that started to flood her, the more and more aware she became. She looked up at the man with wide, confused eyes as he handed her the waterskin. "Samu-Keev?" She repeated, the words feeling foreign and unfamiliar on her tongue.

She lifted an arm, still feeling a bit sore, towards the waterskin and took it tentatively. She sniffed its contents and poured a few drops out before taking a sip... followed by a greedy couple of gulps as she realized just how thirsty she was. With a gasp of relief, she handed it back to the man and wiped some water from her lips. "Thank you..."

She glanced around again. They were on a long stretch of beach with the sun setting beyond. Behind the man seemed to be trees and a dirt road leading to and from somewhere, but no other travelers currently traversed it. "Hello... Sylas." Beatrix said, a small nervous smile forming on her small, sundried face. She opened her mouth, as if to say something else, but paused. Who was she? What was her name? The more she thought, the more blank her mind became until a single word bubbled to the surface.

"I... I think my name is Beatrix..." No, that didn't feel right. "But I go by Bea... I think," she amended. Much better.

Sylas Smiled warmly as she took the water and sat up, and she quickly finished it. She handed him back the empty leather, which he took and stowed at his side.

As she spoke, Sylas's brow furrowed slightly. "You think? You mean you can't remember?" He looked her over a little more, trying to see if perhaps she had some head injury. (PERCEPTION ROLL: 10)

He gave her a glance over, but decided it would be best to give her space and not run his hands through her hair to look for bumps.

Did she remember? Other than the obscure idea of her name that seemed to just feel right, nothing else surfaced in her thoughts. No sense of familiarity beyond who and where she was.

She patted her damp gown, hoping to happen on some sort of clue or possession that could give her answers, but she had nothing.

"Um... I'm pretty sure that's my name. But.." She trailed off again, looking uncertain at everything around her, her eyes landing on the man named Sylas before her. "Do I know you?" She ventured. It was unlikely, since he'd introduced himself, but she was grasping at straws.

"Thats not good." Slyas commented to himself, looking her over.

"No, we've never met. I was just coming back from.... Nevermind. I found you laying on the beach, like you had fallen overboard possibly? Does that ring any bells?" HE stood up and offered her his hand. The sun was setting quickly. If he didn't leave soon, it would be dark before he made it back across the town gate.

Bea bit her bottom lip, confused and increasingly unsure of what to do.

"No... I don't... I don't know." She took his hand and stood up with him, her feet sinking into the warm sand. A brisk breeze from the sea made the damp cloth on her skin feel colder and she shivered. She looked behind them again scanning the shore and waves for answers, but it only pushed and pulled against the edge of the beach, indifferent to anyone's plight other than its own.

Standing now, recalled attention to the flittering and twitching feeling on her back once more, and as she scanned the horizon over her sounder, something caught her eye: something was attached to her back. She jumped and let out a soft gasp, the appendages reacting to her shock with another twitch and some nervous fluttering. She had wings.

"This keeps getting weirder and weirder..." she murmured softly.

He watched her move, dazed, confused, cold. One of the problems, he could fix. He removed his leather coat from around his shoulders, leaving him in just his leather armor, and he handed it to her, not wanting to wrap her himself and damage her wings. Even her own body seemed to confuse her.

Sylas had never seen a fairy before, but he had heard about them from sailors and adventurers and read about them in books. They were mischievous and often liked to play pranks, but something about this seemed genuine to him. (Insight: Natural 20 {total 23})

"I'm sorry. I wish I could have done more, but my healing is kind of minimal. I did the best I could. There are some healers back in Samu keev that maybe could help with this problem. I could take you there, if you want to come with me." He asked gently, his low voice humming with the breeze.

Last edited:
Bea looked back up from her new distraction. "You healed me?" She asked, genuine curiosity and awe filling her eyes. "Is that what that was?" She demonstrated by putting her hand on her stomach where his had rested earlier. "Thank you... I didn't realize..." She kicked the sand at her bare feet. Bea had been very wary of the man until now, but now she could see how his seemingly honest and patient nature came naturally to him. (Insight: 13+4 [ total 17 ])

He handed her his coat and she took it gladly, albeit feeling a little sheepish for having absolutely nothing to her name. If it weren't for him happening along, she'd very well may have not lived for very long sitting on that beach overnight.

"I don't know what a Samu Key is, but if it helps, then I trust you." She said, her smile becoming warmer and more hopeful.

Sylas smiled, and gestured to the road, leading her in the direction. "You really don't remember anything huh? It's pronounced Samu-KEEV" He annunciated as well as he could. He offered her his hand up the rocky bluffs and got them both onto the road. By now, the sun was setting deeply, and the light golden yellows and darkened into a powerful burning orange.

"Maybe if we get there, it will jog your memory? Although I gotta say, I don't remember meeting any fairy's in the city before. I figured I would have heard something before." He scratched his beard, thinking about other causes to this strange occurrence. Any way you sliced it, Sylas's plan was simple. Get her to town, get her some food and bed, and in the morning, take her to a healer to get whatever was going on taken care of. As he thought about hiring the healer, he winced at the idea of emptying his coin purse and going (finally) flat broke. Tomorrow, after she was healed, he would have to find a new job.

"Samu-KeeEEeEeV" Bea mimicked back to him, playing with the funny-sounding word. "Doesn't sound familiar."

Bea followed Sylas up the road, taking in all the new sights, sounds, and smells around her as they strayed from the ocean. "Fairies?" She quizzed, her wings flickering to equally reflect her curiosity. "Is that what you think I am? Because of these?" Her wings buzzed almost to answer her own question in kind.

"Yeah... Fairies have wings, or at least I thought they did" He felt a pang of guilt for a moment. "I didn't mean to assume."

They walked for some time talking, the sun continuing to set beside them. Eventually, the last rays of sun slipped behind the horizon and the evening air set in fully. It was chilly, and slightly windy. In the distance, one could see the lights of the city coming into view, now lit for the night. The sparkled and reflected in the sea beside it.

"You know, I think they look super cool. I always wanted to know how it felt to fly."

"You probably know better than I do," Bea replied dismissively, not picking up on his unease.

She tugged the leather coat around her more firmly as the day grew darker. Something about the gradual receding of light bothered her, but she couldn't put into thought why it did. Her growing discomfort was soon abated, however, as the road became illuminated with life further up ahead.

"Fly!?" She spun to look at him, appalled, her face white as a sheet. The very idea of being high in the sky with these paper-thin, translucent wings made her want to curl up and cling to the earth for dear life. "I think... I'm afraid of heights..." What an odd way to learn a thing about yourself, she noted with faint bitterness.

Sylas looked at her for a moment, shocked at her fearful cry, before breaking into a deep full laugh. He laughed for a good 30 seconds, and had to wipe away a tear from his cheek. "You really are a character, you know that?" He collected himself and caught his breath, moving on. "You wouldn't want to see the world from up high? The freedom to speed through the air? Feel it blow in your face?" He thought back to his time at sea, hanging off the mast and letting the wind sweep him back as they sliced through the brine. It was a fond memory, one from a time before all this debt and failure.

Sylas's laughter was full and hearty, but rather than being contagious in its warmth, Bea's became flustered. "It's not funny! Heights are scary! I wouldn't know how to control these terrible things if I tried! Let alone speed through the air with them." She shivered at the thought of careening at full speed high enough for things to look like miniatures below her. It made her stomach curdle.

"Look it's like they're mocking me!" She blustered, motioning towards her wings fluttering with an excited buzz as the tips peaked out of the neck of the leather coat.

Soon, they happened upon the city's gates, and Bea was once more set into a state of awe and wonder at the dazzling lights and tall, colorful buildings.

Eventually, the two of them reached the gates of samu keev. The city was large built into a sloping hill that met the sea, and filled with multiple buildings of various colors shapes and sizes, plants and gardens of many varieties, all of which was packed up behind some large stone walls. The gates themselves were still open, but mostly empty, save the four guards on duty. Three of them were huddled around a box by the wall with a small lantern, playing a game of dragon chess. The fourth strode forward to meet the couple.

"Who comes to the gate at night?" The man was human, probably in his late fifties, with some deep stubble that covered up his chin and travel down his neck, and a set of shoulders that seemed to lean forward a bit. He wasn't in the greatest shape, but it had been a while since bandits had tried raiding a proper city. The most a guard like this would have to face would be a vagabond or petty thief, typically.

"Sylas and Bea. Im an adventurer from the city, coming home from a mission. I picked up Bea on the road back and i'm taking her to get some medical attention in the city. Sorry its late, Its been a long day." Sylas flashed a half hearted smile at the guard who looked them up and down skeptically. (Persuasion: 9)

"Maybe you're telling the truth, or maybe you're a couple of smugglers trying to sneak things into the city. Half orcs are not the most up and up citizens i've heard, and faeries ain't much betta." He put his sour eye on them both, sizing them both up. One of the other guards who had already lost and was watching, seemed to notice the escalation and grabbed his spear and walked over slowly, keeping a passive stance but making sure his presence was known.

Bea took in the sour tone of the guard talking to Sylas and looked back and forth between the two as they talked. She didn't know a lot, but it didn't take much to realize his obvious prejudice. Maybe the best they could do in this situation was tell the truth and hope the guard would see reason, she thought.

Bea stepped forward a bit to be next to Sylas. "You can search us if you'd like, but I don't have anything worth smuggling. You can see that this man here has a sword and equipment for adventuring. Not sure what smugglers look like really, but surely, he isn't it." Bea affirmed, nodding toward Sylas confidently. (Persuasion: 11)

To show her good faith, Bea lowers the borrowed, oversized jacket from her shoulders, revealing her sea-soaked tunic and the fact that there's clearly nothing else on her person as the cloth still clings to her in places. Goosebumps raise on her lithe arms as they're reintroduced to the subtle breeze of the night air.

The guard turns and watches the fairy strip slightly, revealing herself to him to show good faith. Sylas watched the guards lips curl slightly in a smirk. He turn his attention away from Sylas to face Bea. The way his eyes moved over her was unsettling, and Sylas tensed up slightly.

"We're going to have to search you, make sure you aren't up to anything illegal." He smirked and reached towards the form of the girl.

Sylas grabbed his wrist firmly, staring at the man unamused. The guard jerked his hand back once, shouting loudly as he felt the pressure of Sylas's hand, who squeezed his wrist slightly tighter. "I promise you sir, we aren't smugglers. If we were, we would already be inside instead of out here trying to reason with you." Sylas's tone was calm, which seemed to drain some of the color out of his face as he looked up and took in the size of Sylas now, no longer smiling. (Intimidation: 19)

The other guards rose from their game at the commotion, both of whom yelled and grabbed their spears. They rushed forward and leveled them at the two people. "Let him go!" One of them yelled. His voice peaked slightly; clearly still just a boy. Sylas released his grip on the fool from earlier, who was still trying to pull against Sylas's grip, and fell back into the dirt when he was released. Sylas looked back at the other guards, none of whom seemed particularly eager to be the first to take the fight with him.

"I'd like to take this young lady inside and get her some food, since she's clearly no threat to any guard or town. As a gentleman yourself, i'm sure you won't cause us any trouble, will you?" Sylas's tone was firm, and the guard on the ground stood back up and waved off the others. "L-let them through" He said, working hard to keep his voice calm. They watched as Sylas pulled the coat around Bea and walked her through the gates a ways until they could no longer see the men.

"Well that was a warm welcome into town, huh?" Sylas sighed audibly, tired and hungry and ready for something warm to eat and wear.

Bea flinched at the guard's sudden unsettling interest, his eye wandering to places that made her skin crawl. She fucked up. In an instant, however, Sylas stepped in and suddenly the power dynamic between the two was made clear to everyone present. Sylas beat Bea in height by several feet, and the guard wasn't much better off than she was.

After a tense moment, he gave the go-ahead for them to enter and she felt her coiled muscles relax slightly. She felt the leather coat get tugged around her tightly once more and she followed after Sylas without objection.

At Sylas's quip, Bea snorted. "Does everyone dislike people like you and me?" She continued to follow him as he weaved his way expertly through the town as if he knew it well. (Insight: 18) It was dark now, the sun fully retreated below the horizon, but lanterns filled the streets with a warm glow as some people still strolled about, occasionally giving the two of them strange and quizzical looks. Bea kept her attention on the town itself, occasionally looking down at her bare feet padding softly on the dirt and cobble street.

"Not everyone, but some." Sylas spoke as they walked. "Orc's are hated in Markeev, and so many people see half orcs as nothing more than weaker monsters I guess. Faeries i'm not so sure: I know there are some that say fae are dangerous, but I think most people are just frightened of what they don't know." It was true. Since the empires collapse, and the influx of monsters and bandits and all assortments of nightmarish things, people had become more shut off to the world. Circles shrunk, and people began lash out at danger to protect themselves.

"Don't worry about it too much. Let's get you some warm clothes." Sylas gestured to a run down building ahead of them that looked like an old dock house. It was by the water and made mostly out of wood in a box shape. It had one door and one dirty window that was too covered in crap to see through. The sound of the sea and of boats tilting with the tide mixed with the brine-y smell, making not the most pleasant first impression. Sylas reached over and fiddled with a small key for a moment before he cursed under his breath. Chuck must have changed the locks since Sylas was behind on his payments. "Ma-HalANG be trualana" He cursed louder and kicked the door.

One good kick on the old door was enough to send the thing flying off its hinges. (Athletics: 24) Sylas rubbed his face and ushered in the fairy girl, walking in behind her and picking up the now loose door and leaning it against the frame. He would deal with it tomorrow.

On the inside, it was pretty much exactly what it seemed like: an old boat repair house. There was a small canal with large double doors to let in ships to be worked on that seemed permanently closed. Most of the area was a little dirty, with old tools and trinkets lying around with dust and cobwebs. Over on the far side of the building was what looked like a small office. Sylas walked over to his home, and with his tinderbox lit the few candles and the small wood stove against the wall. The room lit up with an orange glow. There was a small kitchen with a bit of repurposed counter space, the wood stove he had lit, a small wooden table with three mismatched chairs, several over grown plants that were in desperate need of tending, and a sofa the was old and worn thin. Beyond all that was an open door that led to a room with two mattresses stacked on top of one another, with a few blankets folded at the base of them.

Sylas grabbed one of the blankets and offered it to Bea, before himself going to the kitchen to pull out a large pot to begin cooking something for dinner.

"Make yourself at home." He said, finally smiling again. "It's pretty cozy once you get used to it. I hope you like stew by the way." He added in, almost as an after thought.

"Well that's silly," Bea replied. "You don't seem weak or like a monster." And she meant it. Sylas seemed genuinely good-hearted. He had a soothing aura like he was a life raft in the eye of a stormy ocean. As for fairies being dangerous, she had no clue if she was or not. The most immediate danger she posed in her eyes, was her wings suddenly lifting her into the air and dropping her from a high-up place.

Bea traipsed alongside Sylas to the small wooden building. Clapping when he burst down the door with ease, though a little confused why he had to. Inside was quaint, not that Bea had anything else to compare it to. More than anything, she was grateful for the promise of a temporary roof over her head and dry clothes. Curiosity got the best of her, though, and she couldn't help but meander about the space, looking at the bits and bobs strewn or piled about. Her hands itched to pick things up and inspect everything more closely, but she restrained herself. Barely. As the stove in the corner was lit, she happily made her way to it and sat down, embracing the warmth on her sea-battered body. She took the blanket with a smile and a nod of gratitude.

As he began to set himself to work, Bea watched. "I certainly feel cozy now," she chirped, her head and pile of purple hair barely peeping out the top of a mass of blankets. "I'm sure I could eat absolutely anything," she added, then immediately wondered if that was somehow creepy for a fairy to say.

To change the subject, she stood, blanket wrapped firmly around her like a rolled-up carpet, "You live here, then? Just yourself?" Her eyes flicked over the two mattresses and then to Sylas briefly. Then, she wandered to the pool of briny water, peering in. The closed doors cut off the view of the rest of the sea.

"You got it: just me, myself and I, home sweet home." He smiled to himself as he diced up some potatoes and meat, salting and seasoning as he went. (Cooking tools Check: 16) Sylas reached over and grabbed some sauces and spices to add to the broth, and soon an aroma began to fill the room. Sylas wasn't always the best cook, but living alone had pushed him to improve quite a bit. Tonight he got a little saucy with his ingredients, using up most of what he had left, but it was paying off a little. Sylas could feel his own stomach beginning to churn as he smelled the air.

"You can have the bed" Sylas said as he closed the pot lid. "There are fresh blankets in there, and there is almost no draft and no leaks. It's actually pretty cozy." Sylas smiled to himself again: it wasn't a castle, but it was his little nook. At least, it was tonight, until he was most likely evicted tomorrow by Chuck Barry Dimadome. Chuck owned a lot of land and property in the city, pretty much anything that wasn't already owned by the city or the benefactors. Most likely, Sylas could spend some time at the Inn with the Sawtooth sisters and gather some coin to pay his debt off.

The aroma of the stew filling the small boat house had Bea inching closer and closer to the kitchen area, her stomach rumbling in response to the delicious smell. "Thank you," Bea replied absently, focused on the creation of the meal. "Where are you going to sleep though? There are two mattresses."

At the prompting of more blankets, Bea happily took it upon herself to grab another one and lump it over her head and shoulders. Her tunic was mostly dry now, but its sheer material did little to provide warmth.

"I can sleep on the couch" He replied softly. "Its comfy enough, and those mattresses are stacked so they don't feel to springy. Don't worry about me, just make yourself at home. We can find some alternate arrangements later." He nodded as he spoke, and it took not too much more time until the stew was ready. Sylas un-lidded the pot, letting the full finished smell of the spiced beef and vegetable stew fill the room with goodness. The heat from the stove and pot helped to warm the room up, and the steam that rose up was like a small volcano plume. Sylas grabbed his ladle and two bowls and fished up a good serving for them both. He passed Bea her steaming bowl and sat at the table with his, and began to eat his carefully, blowing to make sure he didn't burn his mouth.

"So, I don't suppose you have recalled any memories, have you?" He asked earnestly. Now was a good time to really gauge the situation they were in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back