• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
The year is 2025. A cruise ship is lost at sea on the edge of the Bermuda Triangle in a freak storm. You were aboard that ship. What happened to you is beyond strange. It was like something out of the Poseidon Adventure. The ship was tossed about, then slammed right to the bottom of the sea and lodged into the seabed.

The maximum capacity of the cruise ship was 6780 passengers and 2200 crew (Using the Oasis of the Seas for some specs). Many died in the disaster. Those who did not were changed. They awoke in something resembling giant caviar like eggs. (They will be naked in the eggs. But their gear is all still in their cabins.) When they ‘hatched’, they immediately discovered that they could breathe underwater. (Breathing on the surface world will be more of a problem for most.) They had become creatures of the sea.

For many the changes were more than internal. Some developed claws and tails suited for underwater propulsion. All developed webbed hands to varying degrees. Nictitating eyelids were no longer vestigial and their vision adapted to underwater needs. Their hearing had become enhanced. And their physical strength had roughly doubled. Dehydration while on land would be a serious problem.

Speech underwater was impossible in the sense that they could before. However, it was soon discovered that those who lacked the tails and claws and were more human in appearance could breathe air once the water was expelled from their lungs. They could hold their breath for long periods like a dolphin, as well as use the air to produce the same sort of high pitched whistles.

All of the new “Atlanteans” could feel one thing from the start. They could sense one another. In short they had developed a short ranged empathy and touch telepathy. It is slow, but at least they can work together. This, above all, had helped them bond into a community.

While the less human appearing “Atlanteans” can swim faster, the human ones have begun to slowly develop a sort of hydrokinesis, initially discovered when expelling water to breathe air. This ability IS useful in helping them swim fast enough to not slow down their less human companions.

It has been the better part of a year since the cruise ship was lost. A cruise ship is only designed to last a maximum of about 12 days at sea. Most never go out more than 7-10 days. That said, the Atlanteans discovered that whoever or whatever had done this to them had taken measures to ensure they would die of starvation right away. The food stores in the galley and cargo hold had been preserved in some sort of goo gel that served to protect from seawater and insulate frozen goods.
Characters

Characters should be developed as they were up until the accident. Then choose their adaptation (human or merman). Note: In the case of families, adaptations will be shared by all members of the family. But I will not be enforcing this on group members.

Plot

This is to be largely a Group driven plot, with the world responding as needed. After a year the search would have been called off. However, actions by the Atlanteans could change things.

Will the Atlanteans begin to see themselves as separate from the rest of humanity, the sea as their world? Or will they seek to share their gifts with the world? How will humans respond if they discover humans adapted to an amphibious life?

NOTE: I DO have some surprise plots that will eventually be introduced. But these will probably depend on group actions.

Posting
3rd person past tense
Decent spelling and grammar
At least a few paragraphs. About a page is ideal, but I want to stress quality.
Don’t forget to use tags.
FORMAT - I will be applying some formatting requirements - very simple ones.
  1. Use of imageFloat BB code to add a SMALL pic of your character. (NO Animated Gif please!)
  2. Heading in each post of the Location and Character.
  3. Insert link to your character to your character’s name.

While the Plot is to be Group driven, scenes will need to be planned and approved in advance. (Who, Where, basic scene). In short, I do not want people jumping into scenes without permission. Solo scenes can be posted concurrently, but stick to the basic plot.

Discord - OOC
If we get enough interest generated, I will create a Discord for OOC discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back