Other Most Painful Character death

HUGHES. MAES HUGHES AND NINA TUCKER. Both from FMA / FMAB (though I find the FMAB version to be more emotional).

Then there's Kamina from Gurren Lagann.

And Shun Aonuma from Shinsekai Yori, though Shun's death pales in comparison to the three previously mentioned. Regardless, his death was painful for me to watch. ;n; I was freaking out at school as I watched it.

Apart from those three I can't recall any other anime character deaths that broke me. :'D

hyakinthos said:
Has anybody here seen Le Chevalier D'Eon? No? It's just me? (Me and my tastes...)
I've actually seen that anime (thanks to Animax). But it's been a while so I can't really remember much about it :'D

You open a door long forgotten, i remember i just started into anime and a channel had some old re-runs, there was this anime i got really invested with called Gene Shaft, it wasn't that great but it really captured my interest; the death of Mario Musicanova, after getting a love interest and after knowing his story and rejection, he did the impossible and had to die in the proccess; you made me remember, curse you hahahahaha

Hide from Tokyo Ghoul

7dc8c603926f4de3371df291b9be48e2e08c142a13f748ceeb823acf2703b6a0_1.gif

This is from Tokyo ghoul:re but I found the death of Matsumae so sad yet badass at the same time.

She died avenging and protecting the ones she loved, definitely going out in style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neji Hyuga and Kaori from YLiA. They both made me sob like a little baby. I'm actually pretty sensitive in general... but those deaths just made me cry and cry and cry.

Masaoka from psycho-pass, it made me cry for fifteen minutes straight. I don't cry easily either. Another character death that got me was Shiro from blue exorcist, especially when his children and familiar were mourning over him.

I have a list.

Finnick from THG; Kat from Alice in Zombieland; all the animals to ever die in everything; basically all of the Disney character deaths; my own characters; Sirius Black from HP; Quicksilver in AoU; *continues for ten years probably*

(This is an anime thread, right?? xD I'm talking mainly about that here)

I cry basically over everything, so I challenge you all to a sissy contest. xD Jk

But the most painful death? Mmm, I'd say either Wizardmon from Digimon Adventure or Future Lucy from Fairy Tail.

With Wizardmon, it was really his last words that made me sob and scream, "No, don't go!" and want to hug poor Kari and Gatomon. He was just so accepting of his death, and the fact that he was never reborn like other Digimon made the pain all the more piercing.

With Future Lucy, I just was sobbing forever. She protected her past self with her life and then was able to rejoin her own guildmates in her own timeline in a heaven-like place. It was bittersweet for me. I curled up into a ball and practically died inside. In my opinion, that was one of the best moments in Fairy Tail.

OH WAIT. There was also Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist. OH MY GAWD, HUGHES. I was crying as I read that volume of the manga, and shaking my head, muttering, "No no no no no no no NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!" I kept thinking, "He's alive. I know he is. Someone's going to save him." So I ended up crying in my room for a good few days every time I thought about it. I just...it was THAT heartbreaking for me. One of the most entertaining characters was killed off, and left a lasting impression on everyone around him.

Okay, yeah. Hughes takes the damn cake.

Eunoia said:
I have a list.
Finnick from THG; Kat from Alice in Zombieland; all the animals to ever die in everything; basically all of the Disney character deaths; my own characters; Sirius Black from HP; Quicksilver in AoU; *continues for ten years probably*
OH MY GAWD KAT! I was screaming at the book for Kat to stay alive. I wanted her and Frosty to get married. Not that I don't like the fourth book, but

Kat X Frosty for lyfe, man

And Sirius's...yeah, that makes me bawl every time

Last edited by a moderator:
The most painful character death (from an anime) was Fulle from Scrapped Princess. I literally cried, yes, literally. It was so heartbreaking to watch and it made the ending of the anime a bit bittersweet. Thinking about it makes my heart ache a bit.

I have a list:

Wash from Firefly
Gavroche and everyone else from Les Miserables
Archie Kennedy, Clayton, and Henry Wellard from Horatio Hornblower
Samuel Ludlow from Legend of the Falls

It's hard... I'd say it's a tie between Dr. Janet Fraiser's death in Stargate SG-1, or Dr. Carson Beckett's death in Stargate Atlantis

• Moritz Stiefel from the musical Spring Awakening. This deeply anxious kid struggles with his own sexuality while the school system turns its back on him. Disowned by his family after the school tampers with his test results in order to purposefully fail him, he pushes his friends away and kills himself. He also sings the one most gut-wrenching songs I've ever heard: " Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind, a counterpart duet with the equally tragic figure Ilse.
  • Mercutio from Shakespeare's iconic Romeo & Juliet. He just has so much energy, smarter than even he realizes and too brash for his own good. Takes up an honor battle for his friend, and is all reckless jokes and dueling until he's mortally wounded. The worst part is that as he's crying for help, his friends think he's still joking around and don't realize he's dying until it's too late. He wasn't even a fucking Montague. He was doing it as a shove at Romeo, who later kills Tybalt to avenge him which sparks the disastrous tragedy spiral we all know and love.
  • Leslie Burke from the book (and later Disney film) Bridge to Terabithia. Her death was a sudden, stupid, tragic accident that comes at a point in the book where you wouldn't even expect a major character death. Her death is just.,. a death, just in the way it is in real life. The worst part is it's followed by a heart-wrenchingly spot on portrayal of childhood grief as her surviving friend Jess struggles to process the sheer weight of the tragedy, It's that realism that made me sob hysterically for an hour as a kid.
  • Sayaka Miki from the anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Watching her completely destroy herself over a wasted wish, manipulated into basically selling her soul and becoming a slave to a magical warrior regime all for a boy who didn'teven realize what she'd sacrificed for him. She's corrupted by her own despair and becomes a monster that her friends have to hunt down and kill.

Mordin Solus from Mass Effect.

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong."

After for like, three days, I still can't get over with the deaths of Lubbock, Mine, Chelsea, Tatsumi, and Leone from Akame ga Kill. The manga turned out better.

Kanas death from Hostel. O-ouch. Also the beartrap-death from the Friday the 13th Remake.
Kenny, Doug (Lilly you bitch if you DARE to appear in S4 be prepared to get your head blasted off!), Lee (not on an "Ouch"-level. More emotional)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back