• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trektek

Happy Necromancer
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Steelhold was without a doubt, the busiest place in the entirety of the Steam Empire. Which made sense, seeing as how it was also the capital city of said empire. And even with its boundaries expanding every day, everything important had to make its way back there sooner or later. Hence, back to the business. Tribals from the mainland and Vapormen wandered about to and fro in the crowds. All and all, it was a normal, average day. Proving once more that Steelhold was a melting pot of diversity as it also acted as the main port of call for the islands that its citizens call home before traveling to the mainland colonies to explore.

The sun was beating down hard that day as the summer was finally coming to a head. Once the daily morning fog lifted, it soon enough became a blazing inferno of heat, only undercut by the cool breeze air that wafted in at varying lengths from the open sea. Something that the non heartlanders were unfamiliar with about the islands. It was a nice respite from the summer heat, and almost magical in a way. though obviously not actual Magic. That was forbidden and dangerous. Something that The Dreamcatchers looked out for and protected the citizens against.

At midday, it was imperative that one avoided the marketplaces. It was a very crowded time and place. Which made it very easy for pickpockets to relieve unsuspecting people of their valuables. Mostly their very full wallets from their pockets or satchels. That was something that had slipped the mind of one Jasper Perrywinkle. The young man six feet tall wearing a golden brown vest with a matching sleeveless jacket, gloves, and top hat. His eyes were a similar golden brown color, with only his hair a normal darker brown color. His looks were completed with an almost smug look of satisfaction. Mainly due to the fact that he knew he was a damn good engineer. That was why he was being hired on for this Salvager crew. They needed a good engineer. And he was ecstatic when he was chosen. Recommended by his mentor and master, Gavin Rightsburough.

However, the smirk that was his normal, was not on his face currently and had instead been turned into a look of worry and panic. His alarm clock broke during the night, and on what was to be his moment of triumph, that had instead turned into a major disaster. He didn't want his first time out with a group of salvagers to stick him with the term unreliable. That sort of path would follow you everywhere. And there was no way that he would become a rich and famous explorer of Old World locations if he was the laughing stock of the Salvager world. Heck, The Department of Reclamation might not even issue him the appropriate licenses if that were the case. Oh, what a way to end his career before it began. With a broken alarm clock.

The young man had rushed to get himself ready in the morning. That was when he decided to take the ill defined location of heading through the crowded marketplace at midday. Jasper weaved in and around the various people. It felt like he was starting to make up lost time. Which was great. Maybe, he wouldn't even end up late to meet up with the group. Yeah. Maybe he would manage to pull of getting there on time.

And that was when he felt it. The color drained from his face as his normally slightly tanned face became white as a sheet as he realized what had happened. Suddenly his back pocket felt lighter. Jasper turned around and caught sight of a child squeezing through the crowd. Suddenly he was torn. If he followed them, he would definitely end up late. But if he didn't, then he would lose everything that was in his wallet, including his papers for joining the crew.

Jasper let out a heavy sigh as he took off back through the crowd, attempting to locate any sign of the child that very clearly stole what belonged to him. Trundling through the crows was getting him nowhere. It was going to end up in disaster if he kept trying the same thing. Scrambling up on a nearby crate got him a few dirty looks, but it accomplished the task. He spotted a small handful of children in a side alley. The engineer made his way towards them slowly through the crowd so as to not arouse any suspicion and when he was close enough, he grabbed the one child by the arm as the rest quickly scattered.

"You're quite the little roughian, aren't cha?" Jasper spoke as quietly as he could and still been heard over the din of the market.

"Hehehe. Maybe. B...but I dun know why ya holdin' me. Leggo my arm!" The child nervously chuckled.

"Not until you give me back what you stile from me." Jasper firmly replied as the child continued to struggle away into the darkness.

"F..fine. H..have it." The child threw down the wallet onto the ground. As soon as Jasper's grip had loosened enough when he went to pick up the wallet, the kid took off and ran far away. It no longer mattered to Jasper as he had what belonged to him. Opening up his wallet to check on the contents however, led to another big surprise. Most of the money was already gone. That kid still managed to swipe it.

Jasper hung his head in shame. At least he still had his papers and some of his money. Never again would he travel through the market place at noon. Too dangerous to be sure.

The young man gathered his wits and continued on towards the meeting place. The Gear and Googles. A popular meeting place for both Salvaging groups and the men and women of the Imperial Navy. Hopefully he wouldn't get there too late......

Ashelynn Cogswell. Short red hair. Tall, slender figure. Younger sister of Eric Cogswell IV and oldest daughter of Eric Cogswell III, who led his life known as a cousin to none other than His-Royal-Majesty himself. Steelhold. The capital of the Steam Empire. A city fortified by entrepreneurship and a bit of oil. A place Ashelynn knew all too well.

She grew up there, yet, it had been years since she last visited. She remembered the things she loved about Steelhold, she remembered the things she learned to hate about Steelhold, but Ashe held her breath. There was no knowing the Steelhold she grew to know even existed anymore.

Her journey to the capital started two days ago by airship, one which was crafted by her family. Her soft brown eyes caught a glimpse of a familiar shape- a simple building, and Ashe could tell just by the architecture that her destination would soon be just below her. She raised a pair of goggles over her eyes and stepped out to the exterior deck of the ship. The feathered tail of her jacket flew behind her like the wing of a seabird in the wind. Looking down, she saw the bustling marketplace, stuffed with Steelhold’s desperate citizens like cattle. It was a scene she often avoided but seeing it now brought a smile to her lips. It was still a part of what made Steelhold the city it was.

The airship continued to the edge of the city before landing. Ashelynn felt a sigh release itself from her chest. The trip to Steelhold was over but her real journey was just about to begin. Wandering citizens gazed as she departed the airship. Some of them anticipated her arrival. They arrived earlier to either bless or curse her family name. Noone, however, could turn away from the outfit she chose to wear. It had been tailored for moments that required strong first impressions and she had even designed the pattern herself. Eye catching as she was, her fashion, if anything, was a warning sign. She intended to be taken seriously.

The reality was that Ashelynn Cogswell was a woman. That fact alone made her seem less important and impressive than her older brother to most. Her involvement in family business only became necessary if father or brother became irrelevant. Sir Cogswell organized the project to keep his oldest son out of trouble, but Ashe knew that their family had been obsessed with sightings of Old World sites ever since the Bardell’s made their fame and fortune. She was in charge of the project now. Her brother must have reached a new level of boredom or found something else to distract him. Those specific details in the letter that she had received from her father were smudged and unclear.

She paid the pilot his well-earned fee and made haste to The Gear and Googles. The meeting place was also busier in the afternoon, similar to the marketplace, though no one needed to worry about having their pocket watch snatched. She weaved her way through a small maze of bodies until spotting her crew of scavengers.

“Pardon the interruption,” Ashe approached, “I see that most of us have made it to the meeting. There’s still a couple of minutes to spare.” The pocket watch she had been analyzing closed with a soft click.

“And pardon me,” a male voice responded, “but who in Steelhold are you?”

“Come on now, you don’t recognize the family resemblance?” Ashelynn frowned. This only garnered awkward looks. “I know my brother is a touch taller than I am, even when I am not wearing my tallest boots, but you can’t ignore our matching beauty marks.” She pointed to a small dot on the side of her nose. “I am Ashelynn Cogswell, if we want to be boring and formal about the whole deal. Eric Cogswell is my older brother. Oh, but this shouldn’t surprise me in the slightest,” she continued as she faced the confusing stares. “I should have known my brother would forget to inform you of these changes.”

“Changes?! When?” a shocked voice chimed in.

“Since Tuesday,” Ashe answered. “You remain under the supervision of my family but I will be the one representing my relatives and directing this project.”

“Clint Harrington, here,” the same male who had spoken earlier introduced. “This is lunacy.” Ashe rolled her eyes.

“Looks like our meeting has started," she stated. "Any other questions?”

This was it. This was finally his shot at the big time. After all, getting attached to a salvager group can in fact net you great gains. Or an untimely death at the hands of powerful magical beasts or ancient Old World security systems that might still be functional hundreds of years later. But that was not the sort of things that Jasper wanted to focus on in that moment.

No. IN that moment, he wanted to focus on his upcoming glory. That soon enough, all the world will know Jasper Perrywinkle. In fact, if he becomes famous, perhaps he should include a the 2nd or the 3rd to his name. Yeah. That sort of naming convention was popular with the nobility and the rich after all. In fact, his newest employer was a the 4th. Eric Cogswell the 4th.

From what he heard about the guy, he was dashing and adventurous. Leading his team on grand adventures through dangerous ruins, finding spectacular artifacts and having to outrun wily natives and crazy Magicals. Then again, perhaps he is just getting the man confused with the latest serial that he was reading. Whichever it was, things were sure to get cleared up sooner rather than later.

Jasper's little unfortunate escapade has caused him to be a little late, but hopefully not late enough that he ends up making a poor first impression. Looming up ahead was The Gear and Goggles. The place outside was practically coated in bronzewear. The gears turning as the steam valve let out any excess steam into the air. A Vaporman with a feminine voice wearing an apron lingered on the street corner holding a tray of treats.

"Come on down dearie to Momma Griselda's Bakery. Right on 5th and Engle. Buy one Butter Biscuit and get the second one, half price. But two Butter Biscuits and get the third completely free." As she spoke, she tilted from place to place. That was a Vaporman that was certainly in need of repair and propbably belonged to this Momma Griselda rather than being a free roaming Vaporman.

People loitered about outside the Gear and Googles. Jasper could hear them talking about some new noble that just showed up in the place.

"Yeah. She definitely ain't no military navy type. Just some bossy lady noble, ta be sure."

"Heheh. You're so right Freddy. I wouldn't want a lady like that to be the boss o' me. Whelp, better get back to the docks or we'll miss the boat."

With that, the two loitering men took off and Jasper walked through the doors to the tavern. It was very busy and there were people were all over, conducting business or just coming in for a pint, but he was looking for one very specific group. After scanning for a few moments, he spotted the crew and sauntered over.

"Hello, Jasper Perrywinkle here. Apologies for being a bit tardy. Ran into a bit of trouble getting through the marketplace at this hour. But I'm reporting to duty." A quick glance around and Jasper realized that his new boss, Eric Cogswell was no where to be found. Looking a bit perplexed, Jasper uttered these words before looking around again at each of the members assembled, "Umm, where's Mr Cogswell?"

“Oh, Jasper,” Ashe greeted when she turned around to see the mechanic approaching the group. “Please, Mr. Cogswell is my father- I am just pulling your leg,” she giggled. “It’s only a joke. I know you are looking for my older brother. That makes me his younger sister, Ashelynn Cogswell. He is not here. But I am,” and she explained to Jasper why that was. “We don’t need to be so formal with one another, I think. Call me Ashe.” She addressed the entire crew this time.

“Okay, who is this bloke?!” Clint’s voice cracked with a quizzical and raised eyebrow. The other crew members nodded along. Clint’s confusion had spoken for all of them.

“Oh, you mean you weren’t listening? Tsk. His name is Jasper Perrywinkle, our new engineer, here under the recommendation of Gavin Rightsburough.” Ashelynn gestured to Jasper as she moved to stand beside him.

“Recommended?! He was late to the meeting,” Clint blinked.

“This man is Clint Harrington,” Ashe spoke again. “He’s the lead scavenger, so if you ever lose a wrench or trinket, he’ll manage to find it for you. Probably under the couch or caught under a rug. Oh, that lady there,” she continued, pointing to a woman with dark skin and curly hair,” is Harper Granger. She’s another fine scavenger who my father hired a few years ago. But don’t let me do all of the talking for you, of course. We’ll get everything settled and then make ourselves at home aboard my airship. May I see your papers, please?”

"I...what?" Jasper stood there momentarily confused at the response that he had gotten. Not only was it not the leader of the expedition that he had been expecting, but it was apparently his sister, Ashelynn Cogswell. To that alone, he truly wasn't sure whast it was that he wanted to say, not to mention how he was feeling about the whole turn around sort of feeling. But then on top of it, the crew didn't even seem to be expecting him at all.

How disorganized was this little expedition? The main thought chugged along in his mind. If the man in charge abandoned the group without telling them for his sister, what sort of hope did he even have that this little outing into the unknown would even be a success? It almost seemed as though he were taking an uphill battle in those few moments.

But then he made the decision that he was going to do what he has done since everything in his life and take it all in stride. This was just a single solitary stepping stone on his quest to greatness. He was going to show this group and the world that he deserved to be recognized. It was going to be his time to shine soon.

While Jasper's outer exterior had only moments ago shown great confusion at this turn of events, he quickly recovered, taking hold of Ashelynn's hand and giving it a quick peck with his lips. "Charmed to meet you Ashe."

He gave a wink to the others. "And you too as well, Clint Harrington and Harper Granger."

Harper rolled her eyes at his display and Clint gave a gruff harrumph in recognition.

"Oh right. The papers." Jasper fumbled with his hands entering his pocket. At least these important documents had not been stolen. That would have only served to make things even more awkward than they already were. They quickly made their way from his hand into Ashe's hands.

Harper spoke up as she gave a smirk. "So, Jasper, right?" He nodded. "Would you say that you would be able to fix just about anything?"

The young man gave a smile as he tipped his hat. "Just about. I wouldn't call myself a true master yet or anything."

"Well, good. I have a test of your abilities later. Something that I've been holding on to for a while now."

"Really, Harper? You're going to have him take a look at that hunk of junk?" Clint spoke up with a guffaw.

"Yeah. Besides, it'll be a true test to see if he's really that good."

Clint chuckled and made eye contact with Jasper. "Good luck, mate."

Ashe collected the papers from Jasper and pressed them into her pocket.

"That's settled. Follow me, now," Ashe ushered the group of scavengers and engineers with a quick wave to follow her out of the Gear and Goggles and towards the airship. The pilot greeted them as they boarded with a frantic wave and a tooth-filled grin. But he seemed to have a curious eye when Jasper passed- as if to inspect him. Ashe continued to guide the group to the main deck. The engines rumbled beneath them and the ship floated back towards the clouds.

"Listen carefully," Ashe spoke over the drone of the wind. She started explaining the floor plan of the ship. This is where your cabins are. This is where you eat. Here is where you can access the engine room. Ashe pointed as she labeled each of the ship's many amenities. There was a number of other locations she addressed but the rushing wind muffled their names. They would have to be discovered sometime later. "It's rather hard to get lost around the ship. I expect anyone to know the layout well before the end of the night," Ashe continued, specifically looking towards Jasper. The wind had died down making it easier to understand her. "I'll let you get a good feel for the place while I dig up some notes about our group's current excavation." Ashe wandered towards the ship's cabins, leaving Jasper with the rest of her crew.

"I think I like her brother more," Clint muttered as he watched Ashe disappear around a tight corner.

"Oh sush," Harper chided, smacking Clint in the shoulder with a wrench. "Let's bring Jasper to that hunk of junk and watch him fiddle with it."

Clint could only sigh. It was hard for him to say no to Harper, no matter the circumstance. "Yeah, alright then, follow us, Jasper. We gotta head to the basement. Make sure you've got your tool set with you. Otherwise, head over to the workshop on the second floor. Manny will get you a box."

The papers taken, Jasper followed the woman that was in charge of the expedition along with the remaining group that was assembled. They were a rag tag group, to be sure. But the fact that they keep not only surviving, but staying together and gaining glory, that showed how much of a cohesive unit they were. At least, until the change over in leadership. Anyone could see how much that was already rocking the boat.

The ship was extraordinary. At least to this mechanic. He had gotten to fix similar vessels, but that was far different then getting to actually get on one and be a part of its crew. That sort of action certainly colors ones perceptions of the task at hand.

"Right. I'll get my tools and meet you down there." Jasper could only respond and nod to the exchange. It seemed that things were already getting quite interesting after all.

His mind was spinning already. There was so much to learn, so much to do here. It was a time for change, a time to truly make a name for himself. But first, to get on the good side of these fellows of his. He'd have to fix a piece of junk of some sort. He wondered what it could be.

After gathering his supplies, he went to meet up with Clint and Harper. And there it was. It was a thing of beauty. A Mark 1 Songbird. A single person aircraft. They didn't make them anymore because they broke down far too easily and had a tendency to fall apart at the seams midlflight. How he had longed to examine one. And now here was his chance.

Harper gave a smile as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Well, fixer boy. Let's see what you can do."

"Sure thing. But are you guys going to watch me the entire time? It's probably going to take a while and I wouldn't want you to get bored."

Clint gruffly spoke up. "Don't worry about us. We can entertain ourselves."

"Alright. Then I'll get started." Right away, Jasper could see that there was an issue with the steam injector. It was not only misaligned, but also cracked. Uisng his tools, he managed to remove it with a few quick and easy turns and jabs. Then, the next issue was clearly the bent frame on the wings and the chipped gears.

This was going to take some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back