• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
VOL. 1-1: A FINER EARTH
Morning / Yanura, 150 AC

v2-9fb11d7964710ecc02b96e0981b0ef08-720w.jpg

Zhu Xuexia
styled Lianjie

Courtyard, Orchid Manor

06813ed952b012c95c3facc2d9b36f6e.jpg

Tümen Lei
styled Batu

Courtyard, Orchid Manor

Interaction:
@Nessi

Mention:
N/A

Around:
@Nessi

“Indeed, Master Tumen.” Lianjie answered curtly. In one brief glance, she took in the woman’s imposing bearing. Up-close, the slightly taller officer appeared all the more intimidating, a physique no doubt had endured more battles and physical toils than most warriors still walked the earth. Having done her little inspection, Lianjie had found a justifiable reason to respect this stranger. For which, she made a slight effort to soften her initial formal tone.

Bowing she said, “I couldn’t help but notice your being troubled by a certain personal matter… of which I shall not inquire deeply. Only that as I am ordered to support you in this mission – one I am far too capable of accomplishing on my own. What I am trying to say is—“ Lianjie pivoted in place to face Batu, and continued in a tone she believed to be adequately friendly, “—should you feel yourself unprepared for the task, or unable to meet Lord Dao’s expectation, simply ask, I should be glad to shoulder the burden in your stead.”

Lianjie didn’t doubt someone trusted by Lord Dao would be able to handle a simple reconnaissance. Obviously, she was anticipating instead a conflict at the border. And it was not a wild thought either, in a turbulent time like this.

Lei felt Lianjie’s gaze burn into her as she looked her up and down. A drop of sweat fell from her face as her mind began to race with thoughts of what she could have possibly done to earn such an inspection. The tension felt so thick that Lei felt like she’d be able to cut it with her axe, but alas, it would finally ease up as Lianjie finally spoke again, this time bowing beforehand. Lei slightly smiled when she brought up concern with Dalnim, and opened her mouth to reaffirm that it wouldn’t be a problem.

However, it was the words that came after that set something off within Lei, when she looked into Lianjie’s eyes that she was serious in her offer.

“My personal matters will not affect my ability to carry out this recon mission, and letting someone shoulder my burdens just isn’t my way of going about things.” Lei responded.

“So long as we are with each other, we work together, shoulder each other’s burdens and work as a team!” Lei exclaimed a bit too loudly.

“Oh, and one more thing…You don’t need to call me “Master”, I haven’t earned your respect just yet.” Lei commented a bit quieter.

“Fine then,” Lianjie responded with an edge to her words, and something of a controlled annoyance, “The Lord has decreed that I am to support your mission, none more, so I shall abide by his words. But on the field, I tell you now, my actions are mine alone, so long as they are done all in servitude to Lord Dao. I care little for ‘teamwork’ that only serves to hinder the accomplishment of my duty. And when the time comes, I shall only trust myself to be the judge of that.”

She turned towards the gate, hands held behind her back. “I took the liberty of sending a summon to my retinue, as I wish to depart as soon as my arm, armor, and men have arrived. But what say you, Batu? Shall we set out for the mission at once, or delay until it is lukewarm, and our infinite idleness exhausted? You are the commander at the moment. Give the word.”

“Eagerness to go into battle, headstrong like an ox, oh yeah, you remind me of someone alright…” Lei sighed to herself. Even though Lei hadn’t spoken to Lianjie for long, she could tell that she wasn’t going to be the easiest to work with. However, Lei fortunately had plenty of experience under her belt, and felt confidence in being able to complete a simple recon mission.

“Alright then, have it your way, I won’t try to change your mind on this matter.” Lei responded, a tad disappointed. “Worry not about my men, they will arrive in time, patience is a virtue you know.” Lei chuckled back.

Lianjie decided against arguing over the matter. Batu had agreed to set out immediately, and that much was enough. Before long her retinue arrived at the courtyard. Standing at attention with their mounts beside each, the Ebony Vanguards formed a wall of war-readied soldiery. Black lamellar appeared intimidating under the daylight like battlefield’s black-smoking aftermath. The majority of them were of Orin origin, few were of the Zhu clan—apparent in their larger, dominating bodies. Their polished armors, sharpened arms, and well-fed mounts were dowry from the powerful Orin Lord Shan Wei, for whom Lianjie’s hand was promised.

Among them, one man moved towards the woman officers. He was the largest of them all, as towering as his stallion among others. His face weá wide and round, and despite his effort to put up a serious expression, one saw easily the kind and merry person in him.

“My Lord. The men are ready to go anytime. I have prepared the provisions for a three days march. Though we may be able to get more on the way.”
He was Lianjie’s cousin, her lieutenant to look after the Ebony Vanguards when she wasn’t present. Though not in line for succession to the clan’s head, being the son of Lianjie’s aunt, he nonetheless possessed the great strength and honorable character of a true Zhu.

“Very well, cousin Wu. I trust you've informed my mother already?” Then with marked hesitation, she added, “I have not the time to bid her farewell.”
The wretched woman. War had taken from her all five of her sons, and her husband too. As the mother of the current clan head, she naturally put on a strong hopeful front. But anyone could imagine the hopelessness she would feel knowing the last of her children were to set out for war again. Lianjie couldn’t afford to leave her lieutenant out of the mission to tend to her mother either, no matter how much that would have eased her heart. For the Zhu, it was always loyalty before personal concerns.

“I did,” the lieutenant answered simply, and did not speak further despite his master’s probing gaze.

Lianjie sighed internally. “Bring me my divided dao and armor.”

The divided dao, as long as the lieutenant was tall, was brought to Lianjie by another of the Zhu. Then her set of lamellar, black as the night and tiger-fur trimmed. A rectangular shield, solid and heavy. Then her mount, a carefully selected stallion, deep brown in color, with somewhat a shorter back than most of its kind, but few steeds in the realm could bear the physical burden it supported every day.

Fully armed and mounted, Lianjie looked to Batu.

Lianjie seemed satisfied with her answer, and kept quiet while the pair waited for their retinue to arrive. As expected, the ebony vanguard would arrive first, and Lei was quite impressed. They were heavily armored, the darkness of the armor fitting the name that they had received. Lei could tell that each man had more than a few battles under their belts, and could hold their own against anything thrown at them. Lei watched as a man from the Ebony Vanguard approached Lianjie, and they both conserved amongst themselves, but she knew better than to poke her nose into business that wasn’t hers.

Once Lianjie was fully armored, she looked over to Lei, as if she was asking where her own Retinue. Lei looked to the skies, and spotted a hawk soaring overhead, smiling when she saw the majestic bird.
“My Retinue has arrived!” Lei said with a grin. As if on cue, the Orin Riders began to flood into the courtyard, wearing thick fur clothing to protect against the cold.

“I was beginning to think that you had forgotten about us, Lei.” Said a familiar voice.

Lei smiled, and turned to face her own Lieutenant, Gan. He had short cut black hair, and a rather thin but built frame, sporting a long blade on his back, and a blue headband.

Gan dismounted his own horse, and led Lei’s steed to her, a mighty black steed that matched Lei in strength and personality.

Lei embraced Gan, and pressed her forehead with his, they stood in silence for a moment before Lei pulled away. “I pray everything has been well without me?” Lei asked.

Gan chuckled, and handed Lei the reins to her horse. “Everything has been well, a little cold, but nothing we can’t deal with.” Gan responded.

Lei stroked the nose of her horse, and began to take off the gear that he carried.

“It’s all your Armor, and your axe, took the liberty to wrap it in cloth. We’ve brought food for a few days, and enough yurts to house our heavily armored friends.” Gan informed as Lei begun to put on her steel armor.

With her armor on, and axe fastened to her back, Lei swiftly mounted her steed, and looked back to Lianjie. “Any last minute checks before we go?”

Lianjie observed closely Batu’s retinue as they poured in. Their mastery on horseback proved themselves true Orin. She had not many difficulties in discerning a few traits they shared with her own troops, the only differences being in the details in their attires that followed the Orin tradition. Orderly and capable: that much was apparent. The girl didn’t make any indication of her approval, however. She merely answered the woman with a suggestion: “The crimson river runs across the land to our north, situated between Weilang and Hanjun, then rounds Weilang to the west. As said by our Lord, marauders have been ravaging our western domains—small pests they are, but ones that must be put down. I wish to ride west in search of them before following the river north to the land south of Hanjun."

Lei listened closely to her comrade, and nodded thoughtfully. “Then we shall head westward, I have no qualms with dealing with the skirmishers, for small pests, if left unattended, will cause larger problems in the future. “ Lei responded. “However, immediately after we shall follow the river to Hanjun. remember that we are only surveying the situation, and reporting back.” Lei reminded Lianjie.

“My riders! Prepare to depart, for we head westward!” Lei shouted. Her men quickly saddled up, secured supplies, and were ready for departure.

Lianjie kept her piece, made no promise. Then she ordered her troops to set out, but left the forefront to Batu’s men.

Morning / Yanura, 150 AC

i0WWT4n.jpg

Han Li Xiao
Hubei

Hall of Principles, Orchid Manor ---> Bureau of Security

Interaction:

Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 (Cheng Fan)

Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian (Tang Zhu)

Damafaud Damafaud (Cang Aili Si)

Mention:

N/A

Around:

Anyone in the Bureau of Security and Justice

The Bureau of Security and Justice. He had never seen it up close before. A place where it was used to keep the populace and those who believe power can't touch in check. To not be too rebellious, to maintain secrets from them, and to maintain the rules of this land, for all. This will be the place he will work at for the forcible future, as he was assigned as Commissioner of Peace and Justice. Which frankly, was just a fancy title for someone to do more paperwork.

Letting out a sigh, Han followed his new Investigators into the building.

A veteran of law stepped up to greet the new group with a venerable temper. "Commissioner. We have been waiting for you and your Inspectors. This way, sir." Beckoning the group to follow him, leading to what seemed to be a simple office. This simple office contained a multitude of cases. Many cases of trying trials, intense investigations, and decisive decisions. He had no time however, for he had a case to solve.

The veteran introduced himself as Cheng Fan, the acting Magistrate of Weilang. Han deduced he is close to retiring the hat as well. A respectable decision, his weary eyes showing a honed wisdom of the streets and of the court throughout his many years.

"Forgive me, for I am winding up in my years, particularly so when spring beckons. During your stay, I will do all in my powers to ensure that your case is resolved. Now, without further ado. Please be seated."

A tight tension set in the room, as the motley crew took their respective seats, listening to the briefing.

The briefing was well conveyed without any wasted time, a Master of storytelling, and debate. The case itself however, had a lack of leads to begin this case, the only one being getting to the site where the last known meeting took place.

Han was handed a bamboo scroll, containing more details pertaining to the case, some items taken as evidence being more unusual, "mossy zie coins" which particularly piqued his interest, as if he recalled correctly, copper is particularly difficult to have moss growing on it. Passing the bamboo scroll along to his fellow investigator, Han posed a question to the Acting Magistrate.

"Acting Magistrate?"

"Yes, I am currently the Acting Magistrate of Weilang, quite an unfortunate position for someone of my age." Cheng Fan chuckled, as exited the room. "I’m sorry, however I cannot go into detail right now, my presence in the courtroom is required.”

“It’s quite understandable, I shall implore you at another time.” Han replied, as the Magistrate saluted, which Han reciprocated, before taking his leave. Leaving the motley crew in the office, as they began planning out where to head to.

Both Tang and Cang has the right idea in mind, they both wish to utilize their respective skills to scout out, using the evidence presented to follow leads, and to learn more information that may pertain to the case.

"It's nice to know these freshly minted Investigators seem to be as enthusiastic as I am." Han smiled slightly at his own thoughts, as he blurted out.

"A reasonable plan, and good insights. I shall implore you to check out the pond if possible Master Tang, and it's always good to get more eyes out in the streets, Master Cang." Taking a few moments to compose his thoughts. "I shall be headed towards the house where the last meeting took place, hopefully I shall be able to find something that may help me find a new lead, or evidence for the magistrate to act upon." Han asseted towards the Tang and Cang gang, as he pulled out a book bound by string from inside his robe, and a black stone wrapped with string from a small pouch hanging off his belt, as he began scribbling down something in his book. After a few seconds, he returned his book back to where he originally retrieved it.

“Let us return here by noon, to take a break, and find a place to have a proper meal, it's always a bad idea to seek on an empty stomach." Nodding with himself in agreement. "We shall discuss any new information we may have discovered pertaining to this case.”

Morning / Yanura, 150 AC

monk-jpeg.941414

Yang Jiuwan, styled Shangyi
Hall of Principles, Orchid Manor

Interaction: Zhou Win Sen @Celestial Speck
Mentions: Dao Chaolong Malphaestus Malphaestus
Around: Not much.

The monk nods in agreement with his fellow officer, seeing the wisdom in his suggestions. It suited both their talents and would best amass the men his lord required for the upcoming campaign. He bows with a flourish of his sleeve, smiling brightly.

"Very well then. I shall focus my efforts in those areas. When I have gathered our new recruits, I shall send them to you, Mengyahi. Let us get started, we have deliberated long enough."

Midday / Late Yanura, 150 AC

H3p8xXQ.png

Dao Chaolong
styled Jinlong

Yv6Zabh.jpg

Shu Jin
styled Saimon

Malphaestus Malphaestus
Reticent but frigid winds danced about the meadows, bringing whispers of the deeds of many towards the steps of the Hall of Principles. While the paler blossoms have yet to show their magnificent colors, their stark forms beneath the radiant sun gave way to a brilliant glow upon the Manor's untrimmed garden. Cascading their shades over the concluded appointment with the young soul from the Murong clan, three figures emerged from behind the court's oaken covers. An eccentric strategist, a renowned knight of various trades and their silver-haired lord situated themselves within the quiet hall, where prying eyes and ears were swiftly removed by their attendants. A soft smile of confidence, derived from their recent acquisition of the Murongs' services, formed upon Saimon's countenance as he tended to his small cup of tea. Their recent meeting, borne of the young Murong Yan's request for aid the night before. Rather than a simple conversation over plucked strings and fine wines, Dao was able to extract much wisdom from the aspiring tradesman. In their father's stead, Yan had proven himself a capable subject, brokering plenty of information pertaining to their neighbors. Among the rumors and facts that surrounded Murong Yan's speculation of Dao's disposition, the governor need only worry about his opposition in the northwest. While the Lu Dominion had yet to send an envoy in response to Dao's recent ceremony, their silence, as well as their recent acquisition of food supplies from the Songryeon League meant that they, too, were preparing for a campaign. However, their dormant navy and lack of activities on the other side of the Fujin made it clear that their target was not Weilang. Meanwhile, to the south, the River States were bickering among themselves over territorial disputes. Thanks to the Murongs' indiscriminate network of traders and their keen ears, Shu Jin's efforts to introduce his Lord to the young man was not an endeavor in vain. In return for Murong Yan's fidelity and his knowledge, the strategist has already made preparations to supply the Murongs with the appropriate tools for their farmers. By all intentions and purposes, Dao's attention to his subject's needs was repaid in commensurate quantity.

A few days have passed since Dao's retainers were given their details. Amber glances veered its way towards Dao, as Saimon's sharp gaze beckoned his lord's attention for their next subject of discussion. With Yongliang's presence, the accomplished atmosphere of their recently acquired wisdom was quickly replaced with a stern mood. Before the toils of Dao's retainers were realized, he had to account for the method by which they would carry out their expedition. While Hanjun is merely less than a week's ride from Weilang, the Crimson River remained a natural obstacle that they must overcome. Yongliang, Jinlong and Saimon knew this, as it is the very reason they find themselves in this hall in private.

"Regarding the matter of our expedition, I already have Master Long getting started on procuring our water transports." Saimon remarked, as he procured a huge map from behind the racks. Unfurling its contents, the strategist glided past Yongliang, studying the map briefly in concert with his company. Shu Jin cleared his throat before turning towards Yongliang. "The Wei rebels will no doubt anticipate our incursion, do you concur?"

The aged man, face loose and voice uttered through instinct, concurred reflexively: “merely a matter of time, Master-Strategist,” with hand placed on scabbarded blade, as he loomed over the table in his experienced wisdom, he further remarked that “no doubt they suspect our actions, lest their presence along the river is the workings of toddleresque impulsion; all they cannot know is when and how we strike.” He then turned to the Lordship, allowing him moments of their time to respond.

Dao, however, nestled the words of his close adjutants within his mind, his presence quelled for now by his contemplative silence. Noticing Dao’s intentions, the keen and shrewd Saimon returned to the fore of the conversation, and steered it’s course once more. "Indeed, sir. The biggest puzzle is Wei Jiang's intention. While we have heard of their recent deeds, we haven't the slightest idea who they are or what they are capable of. But extensive research is a luxury we can ill afford, for the Crimson River runs deeper than its divide." Shu Jin responded, sighing to himself softly.

The amber-eyed man, eager to anticipate a happening beyond the words thus uttered, had been tapping his lap in silence whilst taking in Yongliang’s affirmations. Before Saimon could recount his gentle taps, a dark silhouette of bound metal and silver plume sashayed their way into the hall. The strategist eyed them briefly, as the runner paid their respect to the governor before presenting Saimon with a bamboo scroll. The soldier then saluted the three before dismissing themself with haste. Delicate hands swiftly undid the knot that sealed the wooden panels, before unveiling its contents. The strategist skimmed through the reports, before nodding to himself with a nonchalant expression, Yongliang’s gaze affixed upon his movements. Getting on his knees, Saimon grabbed a couple of bronze figurines, setting them in accordance to intelligence reported back from the runner. The closest bank, best for crossing, was marked with two infantry figurines on Wei's side and a zie coin to mark the crossing itself.

He then turned towards Dao.

"My lord. Master Zhu and Master Tumen have spotted some troop movements on the other side of the Crimson River. Official count says five hundred and increasing. Regular halberdiers and bows with some militia elements, all carrying Wei banners, and preparing defenses. May I have your permission to recall them?" Shu addressed Dao with a firm look and received naught but a silent nod in response. Dao, it would appear, as Yongliang and Saimon could comprehend, had not yet chosen proactiveness in this matter as of yet. "Master Zhu's impetuous zeal is a double-edged sword. She can quickly fall into an encirclement as she could break a line." Saimon would then explain, but without much concern as one would. Beneath his tranquil words and demeanor, Saimon had already accounted for such a course of events. Prior to assigning Zhu and Tumen their tasks, Shu Jin had already made contact with the border troops stationed near the river. A sound contingency plan, conjured forth between him and Dao since their liberation of Weilang. While the recruits were being trained, most of their seasoned troops were put on border watch duties. Thanks to such preparations, Shu Jin was always the first to report to Dao on happenings all around the realm. Information was an essential element of war, especially now when all things must be accounted for before a perfect victory could be won. Yet, even when he had anticipated most avenues of approach, Saimon chose to relinquish the ultimate decision to Jinlong. The strategist, while brash on some fronts, has yet to renounce his oath to the silver-haired governor. Unlike his provocative and volatile past with the Daegu family, the taejin saw himself humbled before Dao. Having seen what his lord was trying to create, or at least what he perceived to be their ultimate goal, Saimon wanted nothing more than to realize the governor's ambitions. And the only way that he saw fit to do so was making sure Dao's authority is solidified, lest Saimon betrays his own ideals.

Seeing thoughts most familiar beneath the amber-tint of his companion’s deep gaze, Yongliang scoffed in brief, before manifesting what they all knew regarding the matter aforementioned into spoken word. “Hence why she remains beside his Lordship’s presence during matters of most importance.” Yongliang would thus raise his hands, and illustrate in gesture the visual meaning behind his following conclusion: “to topple cohesion, to penetrate ranks, and to aid me, and the monk, in the beheading of foes most valiant and fool-hardy; she is beyond valuable.” The Governor’s Guard Commander then extended his hand loosely towards Saimon, pointing towards him in supreme comfort, before finalizing their combined awareness: “as we are all well aware.”

The atmosphere soothed by their brief exchange, the strategist once more took upon his natural inclination, donning a smile of acknowledgement for Yongliang's remarks. Aware of all the happenings across the river-front, he was the natural medium through which their strategies would pour. "There is another crossing point here." Saimon said, placing a small zie coin in the far north and a single soldier figurine behind it, once again continuing their briefing fluidly. "It is undermanned with mere militias, but has a small fort protecting it, and will take longer to cross."

"If we do take the southern crossing, I must advise Master Zhu and Tumen's immediate withdrawal. Their presence by our desired crossing point will only alert the enemy to bring in reinforcements. Given Master Zhu and Tumen's forces of cavalrymen, their premature engagement now will only result in heavy casualties without proper support,” Shu Jin said, and they all were in acknowledgement of such fact. He continued. “To add, the fact that Wei Jiang has chosen to reinforce the crossing means that they too are preparing to meet us on the field in the future." Saimon reasoned, before turning towards Yongliang. "What do you make of this situation, Yongliang?" The strategist asked, straightening his back, while eyeing the veteran warrior with undivided attention.

“Our situation is ideal, if far too much so,” Yongliang said. Dao, in his hitherto abject silence, made his first remark with a brief wave of his hand, to which Shu Jin and Yongliang both affixed their sights, allowing the Governor to speak under the influence of their undivided attention.

“Wei stands without heritage of governance amidst it’s leadership, capable in matters of conflict alone, and little else; their banner flutters upon ragged textile, their order is martial and not earned in competence.” Dao, vividly aware of the matters which most concerned Yongliang, explained. Yongliang’s- much like Saimon’s- skills were beyond the scope of the circumstances he found himself in, which caused him to expect too much of the circumstances before them. A curse many would desire, no doubt, Dao thought as his smile loomed ever-present. “All territories cannot hope to be blessed by skillful retainers,” Dao would continue before making a fascinating proclamation: “Yongliang, how would you conquer these usurpers?”

Jinlong’s eyes stretched between the two, before burrowing upon Yongliang’s figure with fiery expectation, having seemingly settled upon a decision yet unuttered. His mind, no doubt all-throughout, aflame in thought and endless cogitation. Ceding the word to Yongliang with a finalized and elaborate wave, the silver-maned Lord in Metal then returned to observation.

Yongliang, spurred by his Governor’s interjection, grimaced as his thoughts, whilst brief, took root within him. In his agedness, he had learned many things through matters of experience, and one amongst them was to be efficient with the time he had yet to spend. Having returned to his rested stance overlooking the map upon which his eyes remained locked, the Old Wolf hummed in subdued tone, mimicking slight growl beneath the hoarseness of his throat, as he reached for his groomed beard and motioned his gaze towards Saimon, and then thereafter upon Dao, who matched eyes with his own. With their eyes linked, a discourse unspoken took root, and Yongliang’s thoughts swelled, were subdued, and later formalized, as he continued, over the course of mere moments, shifting his gaze in between all matters of relevance. Realizing the wisdom upon which the young Governor wished to impart upon him, and whilst embarrassed in modicum, he settled his concerns swiftly. “It is a simple matter; Wei has earned its reputation, but it has yet to wage war against truly competent minds lest it would stand taller than it presently does,” Yongliang said in agreement with their Lordship, all worries moot since circumstances became illuminated. As such, his objective, and it’s accomplishment, became fluid, and their path towards victory clear and resolute, like the river they would cross in doing so.

“It would be through combined strike, so as to root Wei into immobility upon their awareness of our action. We cannot cross without alerting their heightened sentries, so therefore plunging their command into confusion is our best alternative thereafter,” Yongliang initiated, his tone dogged and resolute, devoid of concern nor shaken by his newly acquired influence at the behest of Jinlong's forthright curiosity. None would interrupt his words thus spoken, therefore he recognized that he was free to continue. “Additionally, were we to solely focus our efforts upon one crossing, then the advantages rendered by the other will render our efforts pointless,” he added as his finger circled the circumference of the frontier before landing upon the fort located upon the northern crossing, continuing thusly: “the reason is found here, as it acts as the axis through which the campaign itself would revolve.”

Yongliang then moved his hands towards the bronze figurines south of the river, stand-ins for their own forces yet unallocated, and split them across the two fronts in uneven distribution favouring the south. “As we are aware, the south, whilst heavily guarded, and no doubt accounted for by our foe, remains the only place upon Wei’s border we can readily cross without much disturbance: therefore we would cross it heartily.” His statement fearless, but no doubt calculative enough for even Shu Jin to procure his own smile in accordance with Dao’s enthusiasm, Yongliang’s expertise thus endorsed as the three remained in accordance. “Meanwhile,” the Governor’s Guard Commander continued as he placed his brawny finger firmly beneath the northern crossing with assurity, “we would cross the northern crossing in concert, utilizing both horse and man, to overpower their undermanned defenses and capitalize: taking the fort, or if deemed impossible with haste, to alleviate the south.”

Yongliang moved the pieces, as if anticipating the capture of the fortress across the northern river crossing, stationing one figurine upon its outline, and shifting the rest towards the south, where he later depicted a Wei route by moving their pieces back towards Hanjun. “We would thereafter consolidate and march in unison towards the fort. Capturing it if it had not yet been, or garrisoning it with our army, allowing it rest and deliberation, further reconnaissance, and time for carts to stock the stockpiles for our later march towards Hanjun.” Yongliang then eased himself upright, crossing his arms as he conclusively stated his finalizing remark, before allowing Saimon his due response: “this is the best method.”

Saimon gave the Guard Commander a salute, subtly applauding the man's plan. "A two-prong attack is a sound plan. Given the endeavors of our comrades these past few days, I believe we will be able to carry it out. Although I'm curious as to how the Little Corporal will react. Your Lordship." Saimon turned towards Dao, paying his respects as he stood up fully. "With your permission, I would like to offer my service to the northern front." Saimon inquired.

“No doubt, that is what Yongliang would have intended,” Dao humoured with supreme slyness, Yongliang eyeing him intently in return, as he relieved himself of his contemplation and returned from deep thought, before furthering with adamantness: “after all, there is no place for me but the south, and no place for him but with my retinue; it is up to your tactics to steer the northern front.”

Satisfied with his master's reply, the strategist simply offered his folded hands to form a courteous salute before heaven's breath finally dispersed the trio from their short meeting within the Hall of Principle.

MILITARY DISPATCH

A runner arrives to deliver a bamboo-scroll letter to the Siege Captain personally. The letter was sent by Shu Jin with particular orders to prepare and stow siege equipment before hand. By specific note, the designs of such equipment should be made from replaceable woodwork and light enough to be broken down and transported over long distance. Other than those specific details, the Siege Captain was given his personal liberty as to what he could build. The Siege Captain has been granted access to additional resources for the detail.
Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3

The patrols, after rounding the countryside for the past few days, have finally reached the banks of the Crimson River. Along the way, they were met by seasoned troops, of whom were placed on the border to protect the realm while the new batch of recruits were to be trained near the city. As they passed by a couple of fishermen huts, rumors went about that Wei Jiang, the leader of the rebels across the river, was a mighty warrior whose face has never been revealed in battle. It is said that Wei Jiang is a vengeful spirit that have possessed a suit of armor to exact their revenge against those that wronged them personally. Across the river, Wei Jiang have positioned more than a thousand troops as if to prepare for Dao's inevitable incursion at that specific crossing. A runner finally caught on to Tumen and Zhu to bear news of their recall to Weilang by the Governor himself.
Mqueserasera Mqueserasera @Nessi

After Action Report:
- Captain of the Left and the Captain of the Center's combined efforts have slightly increased the recruits' close quarters abilities due to demonstrated leadership, at the cost of increased training time due to equipment shortage. @Remembrance @Soviet Panda
- Captain of the Convoys' efforts have slightly adjusted the efficiency of equipment replacement endeavors. Thexcentrichilean Thexcentrichilean
- Cavalry patrol, led by Captain of the Right and Deputy Commander of the Wyvern's Gate, have spotted major troop movements on the other side of the Crimson River's southmost crossing point. The Wei rebels outnumber Dao's patrol heavily. Vital intelligence and fleeting rumors gained.
- Siege Captain has been given a detail to complete for the Blue Tortoise personally.
- Recruitment efforts have yielded a small amount of enlistees, but possesses slightly better-abled personnel. @Celestial Speck ThatWhichShouldBe ThatWhichShouldBe

CENSORATE DISPATCH

There were three possible locations, narrowed down by the late police captain's notes: a farmstead, an abandoned watchtower by a small pond, and a boat station.
Inspector Cang's attempt to reach the watchtower was delayed by a fallen tree blocking their route. Upon their arrival, they were met by some local lumberjacks that pointed Cang there before moving on. Nothing suspicious was found at the site. The Commissioner's return to the raided house have unveiled a hidden dagger within a hidden compartment within the floorboards. After careful examinations, there is an inscription at the butt of the hilt that reads "Ride east by marks of three. Bury me against the tallest tree."

After thorough visitations by the Inspectors, at the behest of the Commissioner's arrangements, the case's evidences have minimized the locations to one general area just three-hours ride east of Weilang - speculated to be a hidden base of operations by an unnamed syndicate that threatens to destabilize the city's law and order. It is advised that the Commissioner and their Inspectors discuss the next course of action in regards to the dagger's discovery and what it could mean.
FiveElemental FiveElemental xAlter xAlter Damafaud Damafaud Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian

After Action Report:
- Major development on the Hidden Knives case.

CIVIL DEVELOPMENT DISPATCH

Having joined the Manor Chef's details to lend aid to the soup kitchen, the Jade Princess stumbled upon a small-profiled figure, whose elongated ears and soft-spoken tone distinguished them from the rest of their human peers. Possessing a tranquil aura and sharp blue optics, the fox-eared lady was responsible for the soup kitchen's supplies and are well-known by the locals as "Madam Tian." Following their entry, Madam Tian have invited the young lady Xiang to a tea break on the last day of the week. What the fox had in mind for their scheduled meeting remains to be seen, but their amicable status have discerned any implication of hostility.
velle velle

The storehouse guard was quick to light the way through, pointing out that the tools were recollected and destroyed by Dao Ren in the past to deny the peasantry their assess to anything made of iron that could be repurposed into a weapon. A preemptive act to quell a revolt before it could start, at the cost of agricultural decline. There are little the Keeper of the Granary could do but attempt to order some from the forgemasters within the city, or alternatively, they may attempt to make the tools themselves to cut the cost.
Orikanyo Orikanyo

After Action Report:
- Lack of farming equipments have slowed down agricultural pursuits in the southern district.
- Madam Tian, owner of a well-known tea parlour have taken an interest in Xiang Jinhua.

Morning / Yanura, 150 AC

84b23ab1d35c93778c30b0aa948add6f.jpg
Yu Changmao
styled Fèi Hú

Storehouses of barrness, Fields of prospective plenty, the wild beyond

Interaction:
None

Mention:
Malphaestus Malphaestus (Our oh so Brave Lord in Iron)

Around:
People around

"Let it be known, in all heaven and earth, my hatred for the fool who sat on that throne befote my lord shall persist forevermore. Till the lands are dust my heart shall beat forevermore blood of anger and my breath shall be flame at the mention of his name." Yu wax poetical, or rather, he spoke with vehemence against the actions of his Lord in Iron's predescessor. But alas, what was to be done now?

Whine and complain?

Create a long essay denouncing the actions of the previous lord and sell it to the masses and retire a wealthy, albiet very angry, man?

No he had heavens damned work to do.

But with no tools to do it.. Meant a tough time...

He had to be smart... He was by far no crafts.an, and he knew those smiths would require time because iron, through strong, was stubborn in it's change.

So, what was better at change than iron?

Wood.

Wood would work.

it'll suck but a iffy tool is better than no tool.

His men had some degree of woodscraft experience, he knew one or two who were good at it but they needed to get materials as well...

He would field that himself, he knew good wood, and he knew where to find it.

You don't live in the mountains without learning how to live there. And you don't farm without tools.

Tools that require iron... Will have to wait...

They shall have to make due for now, some fields wont be sown due to issues but they will need to be ready for such challenges or he'll break his men and women's backs...

So many things to do...

At least he wasn't at war, those poor bastards.

Yu took what he could get from the atockpile, which was nothing, and moved back to his fields. He regarded his men, which now included workers still to diseminate what had occured amongst the people. Should any have any tools hidden away, now would be the time to show em. But they would have to make due for now, key words were FOR NOW.

Yu promised he knew the pains of such labor, he would see to this foremost, lest the world catches on fire.

His next job lined up would be to figure out where in the hells they got their wood from. The more he can fit into the first day, the easier it will be in the week, the more he can fit in the week, the easier it'll be for the month, so on, so forth...

Do it while you're fresh.

He would leave one of his lads in charge, a good fellow named Xióng húzi who looked kind of like a man had managed to mate with a bear and produce a child. He was mostly hair, muscle and friendlier than you might think. Why he styled his hair to look like bear ears, Yu wouldn't know.

Yu had gathered his axes for his trip, he promised to be back by sundown. He didn't remember hearing any of the ministers dealing with crafts or woodsmen... Perhaps those gatherings of natural products were beyond the notice?

Mining iron was also key... Finding it, another...

Hrmm...

He would need to find the woodsmen first, see what they had, if nothing, he would go into the woods himself and see what the lands held.

A busy little fox he was, always getting into trouble somewhere...

Morning / Yanura, 150 AC

f18fda3073f16603a0c869b1edce4e90.jpg

Long Xiyi styled Gao Ying
storehouse

Interaction:
Thexcentrichilean Thexcentrichilean
Malphaestus Malphaestus
Mention:

Around:
People around
Xiyi allowed the master of caravans to speak with there good intentioned intruder, after all he was the siege captain and assigned to assist not to command such ventures. “Very well then song, I shall leave you to discussing these matters I shall return to the duties imparted upon me.” Xiyi said bowing slightly as a show of respect, and returning to instructing the labours, and attending to the other duties of copying out scrolls.

it was only a few before the running arrived with scroll in hand. “New orders form master Jin” the runner said huffing a bit as they handed over the scroll into the clawed hands of the serpent scholar before leaving with all due haste. Reading over the requested one clawed hand stroked his chin thoughtfully. The orders where for a easy to repair and transport siege weapon. something the siege captain had been required to design before, thoughts quickly drifted towards trebuchet they could be easily made from local hardwoods with a few other components that would need transporting, while a counterweight might be an option, unknown variables would make such a design situational at best so a traction option may be more appropriate. As he remained deep in thought Xiyi realised he should inform song of his reassignment.

eventually finding the master of caravans after a bit of searching he’d get the other man attention. “It had been a honour working with you master song but it seems this is where we part ways for now i am now tasked with the construction of new siege equipment I wish you luck on your future endeavours” Xiyi formed them alongside his farewell leaving the master of caravans for his personal quarters where he could begin the process of designing this new implement of warfare.

VOL 1-1: A FINER EARTH
Afternoon / Yanura, 150 AC

83f4853bc3dcb4d393fb6f1c482e0a73.jpg

Tang Zhu
styled Beitong

Bureau of Security

Interaction: Damafaud Damafaud xAlter xAlter FiveElemental FiveElemental
Mention:
N/A
Around:
Bureau of Security, colleagues;

After having been sent out to investigate the places rife with criminality, subterfuge, and more, Tang Zhu returns to the bureau with unsatisfactory reports. Though the locations did need to be searched, the infamous thief-for-hire the Vermillion Viper expected to find more than nothing. It could have been his underestimation of the enemy's competency. A fool bandit would have left concrete evidence behind in a rushing bid to vacate the premises. But as the acting Magistrate said/implied: these were organised folk. Perhaps too organised. Master Tang thought as he made his way down the halls of the censorate branch with hands behind his back, much like his adopted father when he goes to inspect the household.

Turning a corner, Tang Zhu immediately crashed with a guard or sentinel of the Bureau of Security. It looked as if a solid object collided with water as the red snake became a blur of grey and red. Flowing into the motion instead of resisting, sliding past the guard before turning around and grasping the fellow's shoulder to stabilise him. "My good man, you ought to be careful when you're down these corridors." An upbeat tone that was light as a feather. "Aherm... Yes, Inspector, sorry sir." The man stood at attention for his mistake, hoping that no punishment came his way. Tang Zhu dusted the underling off then sent him away. "On your way then," The guard nodded and continued on but... Felt something strike his the back of his head, the clang of the helmet was unmistakable. But when he turned around Tang Zhu was already paces afar with a grin obfuscated by his symbolic mask.

Entering the office, Tang Zhu awaited the others by removing his mask and scribbling art on unoccupied paper to pass the time. Once they arrive, Tang Zhu turns to them and asks. "So what's this about an inscribed dagger?"

Last edited:
Afternoon / Yanura, 150 AC

1644472319985.png

Han Li Xiao
Hubei

Bureau of Security

Interaction: Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian (Tang Zhu) xAlter xAlter (Kyungri Dalnim) Damafaud Damafaud (Cang Aili Si)

Mention: N/A

Around: Workers, Guards, Collegues

”Divines above… who knew a pond could be so far away…” He quietly mentioned, looking at the ground in defeated disappointment, as his lunch plans went out the window. Begrudgingly continued moving forward, towards the raided house.

Arriving at the crime scene took no time, as a staff from the Bureau guided us, Han showed his jade badge to the guard standing by, where he was easily ushered in without any conflict.

His eyes falling upon the dilapidated wooden home that once stored the implements of war. Only scattered, broken furniture and dust remaining, The small window showing a murky gutter sky,

"Of course, they have no respect for a crime scene…" He let out a sigh in disappointment for the poor handling of evidence.

"Master Dalnim, keep your eyes peeled, many locations can be hidden compartments, ignore the walls however, too thin to hide anything." As he took a relative length of time to investigate what remained.

Opening up a closet, all he saw was emptiness, similar to his Jindan. He quickly shedded such thought, as he eyes laid upon a wooden board that was in better condition than what surrounded it.

"Good, looks like this search wasn't for naught." As he wedged his fingers into a small crack, prying open the floorboard with practiced finess, and peered Inside.

"Please bring a light over." He asked Master Dalnim, not enough natural light to perceive what was inside.

As he glossed over the newly found compartment, inside containing a few stray zies and a unsheathed, simple looking dagger. Pulling out a cloth, he handled the dagger blade with delicate care. Examining it with control, his eyes quickly fell upon the butt of the hilt, carved with words.

"Ride east by marks of three. Bury me against the tallest tree."

"What's a mark?... Does it mean by time? That would make some sense, Ride three hours east, and bury… literally or does that mean to wedge it into the tallest tree?… Oh dear, I hope I don't get lost." His mind, attempting to analyze this newfound piece of information, calculating the right call.

"For now, lets see if there's anything else of use here before we bring this back."

After this short escapade and not locating any more evidence that may assist the case, he returned to the Bureau, with a substantial lead.

***​

"Well, I was honestly surprised to find such a significant piece of evidence left behind in the raided house. The dagger is right here."

The Young Commissioner acknowledge the artist, as he motioned to a dagger wrapped in an unremarkable piece of cloth, casually planted on a desk he improvised as his new workplace, writing utensils and paper, one sheet already being filled with meticulous information pertaining to the current case, a record of every detail he could foresee.

“From what I can tell, there’s nothing special about it, besides the engraved message in the pommel.” He shrugged, as he undid a knot on a pouch on his desk, digging through it lightly. “I feel this is the most opportune time to interrogate the prisoner using our newfound information.” Pulling out a orange strip, popping it into his mouth, and chewed on a candied mandarin peel he purchased while out and about, to slightly ward off his growing hunger. Feeling the tart, sweetness spreading over his tongue. He took the open pouch and pointed it towards the Investigators.

"Want some?"

• VOL. 1-1: A FINER EARTH
    Afternoon/ Yanura, 150 AC

80fe6d5433c6012c278bf8eda2a08264.jpg

Cang Aili Si
    styled Chienying

Bureau of Security, Eastern Side of Weilang

Interaction:
    Master Han, Master Tang, Madam Kyungri
    FiveElemental FiveElemental Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian xAlter xAlter

Mention:
    -

Around:
    Colleagues

The watchtower left Chienying dejected. Either she had arrived too late or they had chosen the wrong place, but even her Eyes of the Nine Skies Art found nothing but aged walls and brittle woods.

Back at the Colorful Sky Courtyard, Chienying read his report with a difficult expression. He wrote a few poetries to spend the evening with the Brothers, but never something like a report. His writing was coarse, almost like he slashed with the brush than draw with it. Comparing it to the tidy calligraphy of the previous inspector left only left her with further dejection. She wanted to ask Seventh Brother for help, but Fourth Brother dragged him to gods-know-where. Helpless, Chienying could only head to the Bureau.

Tang Zhu awaited in the office, not wearing his mask. Chienying looked curiously, frankly quite taken aback by the casualness of the action. Most masked travelers he met protected their faces like their honor. He had to kill a bandit once when Fifth Brother knocked her mask off by accident and she was intent to kill everyone that saw her face.

Chienying was just as clueless about the dagger as he barely had returned, thus he answered Tang Zhu's question with but a shake of his head. He took his seat to rewrite his report. Soon, the movement of his brush joined the smattering white noises in the room.

Of course, the deeper recess of her mind was not as calm nor lukewarm.

UNFAIR! Simply unfair! Why must those peach blossom eyes laden in mahogany be hidden by a mask?! Those downward turned lips akin to the curvatures of a jade dragon- Wait! Skin without defect like a perfect jade... yes, it must be. Master Tang must have worn a mask to protect his face. Ah, the sacrifices one make for beauty...

Cang Aili Si sighed in melancholy. His writing continued being loud and clumsy while her mind dazed to times of hardship. Times when she had to go to length to take bath hidden from the rest of the brothers, when she had to scour the mountain for herbs to make ointments for her skin...ah, she felt Master Tang's hardship. Training to fight with limited eyesight just to protect his face, she could only offer a salute in respect.

The dashing Commissioner Han Li Xiao arrived with the significance finding of the week: a dagger with an engraved message over it. Chienying's eyes briefly glowed azure as he handled the dagger, inspecting it in its entirety, and found else of importance. He nodded thoughtfully. Ride east by marks of three. Bury me against the tallest tree. A code, that might not be too foreign.

"The suspected hidden base. Is that not approximately three-hours ride to the east?" He turned to Commissioner Han Li Xiao. "I am not skilled in interrogation. I shall head over as an early lookout for the location. The news on the raided house should be spreading. It will be troublesome if they escape once again. Thank you."

The last bit was uttered when Chienying reached for a candied mandarin peel. She was not going to refuse food offer from a superior. Or a handsome man.

Morning / Yanura, 150 AC

Face_claim_for_Saber_man_edited.png

Song Shen
styled Shen

The storehouses

Interaction: Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 and Orikanyo Orikanyo (Acknowledging their leaves more than anything, so apologies for the extra tag.)
( Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 Malphaestus Malphaestus for: )
-All of the warehouse changes and actions taken
-All the people brought up in the interaction (Such as the person who handed over the old documents, 10 new squad leaders, warehouse workers)

Mention: None that weren't interacted with

Around: Everyone currently in the warehouse still.

The industrious man simply nodded at the handler of the granary as a way to bid farewell, smiling pleasantly as usual. But, that didn’t last very long.

The arrival of a messenger for the scholar in the middle of their conversation had Shen raising an eyebrow in curiosity, turning to an inquisitive look quite quickly. His eyes turned sharper for a moment, looking at the Siege Captain’s reaction and the Bamboo-scroll… this early-on with work, there’s a very small likelihood of having other branches contact them specifically for help… so, an assignment.

This was Shen’s hunch as it got swiftly confirmed by Long’s leave, prompting the saberman to bow slightly, sigh in slight exasperation once the scholar started to leave. Finally, he readjusted his glasses which let out a slightly cold and resolved glint of light.

”Very well then… as much as I don’t excel at certain things, we all have our duties to handle… Do your best with your own duties, Long Xiyi.” The man spoke with some annoyance in his voice, but composure remained nonetheless and gave a polite bow towards the scholar…

Soon enough, he turned to look at the situation around himself, the disarray of the people with an almost off-putting level of cool-headedness, eyes darting methodically around the warehouse, observing the people, the sections he had already split in his head of the area, recalling the amount of people he would need… all in the spans of a couple instants, all expedited by the slight qi fluctuations that were felt once again, enhancing his processing and sensory abilities. Soon after with a slight nod, a map of the section of the warehouse was made with deliberate and swift strokes onto blank bamboo-parchments, alongside the divisions that had been formed in his mind.

Then, this was repeated a few more times in silence, each time quicker than the last as the man’s plan started slowly coming together within his mind…

A bamboo scroll with an orderly drawing of a top-down view of the warehouse and its vertical and horizontal storage areas made visible was made… It was split into 10 different areas of equal size factoring in where the visible volume of items was stored.

Then Song Shen quietly returned to the main warehouse office without saying anything else, found any spare material to write on and spoke to the man that had originally given him the old records.

”I have a single task… let everyone in the warehouse that has no active work know to rally together into ten equally-sized groups, and then remain on stand-by until I’ve come out of this office… that’s when the real work will begin. Oh and, make sure the leader of each is someone that can read and write.”

Speaking in a serious and composed manner, Song Shen soon enough sat down on the available desk as Qi fluctuations started softly emanating from his body once again… and once again, the number ten was present in the form of the according number of blank documents.

Copies of the maps were made one by one alongside meticulous indications on how to register the items, how to sort them (based on the categories he made before relating to farming, warfare, cooking, etc, alongside allowing some overlap denoted by symbols specifically for each list overlap. This was on top of how to make the universal list of items) and whatever other suggestion he could fit into the scrolls and parchments.

Guidelines for organized work were made and standardized across all ten maps… soon enough bundling more blank pieces for writing to each of them and with a confident and boisterous smile, the saberman stepped out of his office and scoured to find the group of men he had delegated to be made.

His Inkstone and quill were left behind, for his enthusiasm at the method he had landed on was too high. Once facing everyone, he would, for the first time since arriving to the estate, to this city: raise his voice.

”Oh myriad of workers of the warehouse. Men whose duty is all too important for running our lord’s estate smoothly… I am a simple man. Your Captain of the Convoy finds delight in doing his duty well and smoothly, and will be expecting likewise from those under my command… I can’t claim to be the best of leaders, nor to be able to relate to the plight of every common man… BUT! The man’s loud and confident voice stopped for a moment, his usual composed smile taking over his expression.

”I can claim that I will work my utmost alongside all of you, and that by the end of the day, our work will be done well and quickly… efficiency not wasted, nor done in a way that feels like a waste. I, the Captain of the Convoy, invoke you workers to set out, so we can all server our Lord and facilitate his reign and future endeavors, for all we do here is for our Lord!” To punctuate his speech, he raised his free arm that wasn’t holding anything alongside letting out a loud and clear cheer,, an uncharacteristic but instinctual gesture that came to be from observing speeches of the past…

”Now, I will be distributing the map and Guidelines for our most pressing endeavor… each map comes with a numeral assigning to a specific area and suggestions on how to file matters. Each group shall have one at the helm able to read and write, and endeavor so we can all leave this place with pride, having served our Lord with upmost dutifulness!!!” Booming, confident, but borrowing the charism and duty to another to motivate the people… for the man known as Song Shen didn’t care to make men respect him from authority of his own, only cared about things getting done properly.

Soon enough, the maps and blank documents would start to be handed over personally by Shen to each assembly of men with his habitual composed smile… Sure enough, today would be busy… but that just meant more duties to be proactive about.

”Ufufufufu, I shall make it so our business here is back on track on record time~” Chuckling and musing to himself as the last map was handed over, the saberman turned towards the man who had been treating as a second-in-command so far with a more serious face.

”Don’t hesitate to come to me if any outstanding issues come up that I may have missed or weren't brought to me… I will be personally overseeing each of the the group's work.” Nodding towards the man who had casually been given high responsibilities, Shen started striding around the warehouse, prepared to watch, oversee and correct any problems he saw, occasionally aiding a group that had started to fall behind alongside giving them feedback on how to speed-up their work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back