• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Invicta Civitates (A Hard Sci Fi Setting Inspired by the Roman Republic)

Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford
Jabroni Jabroni
Direct Timing Direct Timing
AceTheLizardKing AceTheLizardKing
Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian
skycaptain skycaptain
Plutoni Plutoni

Hello again, I saw that Rusty gave a vague implication about my own main character and concepts but i forgot to give the full deets.

Anyway, my modest contribution to the overall setting and storyline is a (currently) nameless major political family and the specific main character is the "black sheep" of this dynasty, he doesn't have a concrete name either so he is currently just "the disgraced son".

Anyway, this character doesn't have an excess of personal power but due to his excellent connections and his duty in the military
(High-level test pilot/small warship designer) he was well aware that something is going on before the initial invasion. And, as stated previously, he's calling in plenty of favors to help create an underground resistance movement to hold the line against the invaders as the wheels of bureaucracy slowly grind and reorient themselves against this new threat.

Generic details, the disgraced son is a test pilot for the navy's smaller craft and he's going to serve as the "ground party's" main benefactor at the start. Due to his connections around the empire we can presume he gets excellent deals and offers for material and munitions, under the table of course.

On his character, he's going to be really quite humorless with both professionalism and a certain abrasiveness, he'll generally be the uptight "straight-man", no fun allowed type. (Of course, this will make the rare incident where he fucks up or puts his foot in his mouth even better). Generally speaking, really quite anti-heroic: not outright evil but certainly used to getting his way. Arrogant, entitled, tempered by an honest sense of duty and a personal code.

Anyway, his personal specially-designed starship will also be the party's main transportation for at least the early parts of the story. The current idea for it is that it's a demilitarized smaller-scale naval warship fitted with more luxury accommodations and more experimental technology. (I'm into the weirder hard sci-fi shit so I'll be going into detail on how the ship works, it amuses me greatly)

For the greater bloodline he's a part of, I'm really not sure. But i suppose one of his parents will be related to the consulate somehow, and that may be another link between the "ground story" and the "political story". Could be an associate of JonathonRegal's character.

Expected viewpoint characters, 3~ so far. The disgraced son may have a bodyguard or general aide, since every noble character needs a hidden blade who's also somebody to clean the dishes or maintain the ship.

Anyway, it's likely that the disgraced son could be the impetus for everyone actually meeting one another, he's feeling around his list of associates and looking for people to join the fight.

Loove this kind of setting, gives me sorta Red Rising vibes ??
Not entirely sure what I’d want for a character just yet so if there’s any particular roles that would be useful to have filled I’m all ears, but otherwise I’ll be lurking 🥴

** ok editing cuz I’ve said this and immediately got the thought to make some kind of ultra-ambitious, ladder-climbing, Machiavellian rat character who could easily be a soldier or some low-level politico to work with either setting 🤔
Welcome aboard! That would definitely be possible, having an antagonist type character would be
Ave! Fidelis Reipublicae!
Ave! Hail the Imperator!

Is there is a sort of empire vs Republic internal conflict with this Republic? Sort of worry that the imperator is too kingly or that a proper Republic is formed run by an "elected" senate.

Is there is a sort of empire vs Republic internal conflict with this Republic? Sort of worry that the imperator is too kingly or that a proper Republic is formed run by an "elected" senate.
There is a bit of conflict, yes. Some think the Consulate just gets in the way and should be replaced solely by the High Imperator, and those that think the dangers of a High Imperator seizing absolute power and abusing their power is too great to risk having the position. And of course there are those in the middle to varying degrees.

There is a bit of conflict, yes. Some think the Consulate just gets in the way and should be replaced solely by the High Imperator, and those that think the dangers of a High Imperator seizing absolute power and abusing their power is too great to risk having the position. And of course there are those in the middle to varying degrees.
Cool might make an anti imperator faction member.

ThatGuyWithSouvlaki ThatGuyWithSouvlaki

Just be aware the alien invasion is the focus, though of course a civil war erupting as the invasion is first turned back would be interesting.

Never let a crisis go to waste!

Just be aware the alien invasion is the focus, though of course a civil war erupting as the invasion is first turned back would be interesting.

That could be a subplot. Some of the more extreme factions use the chaos of the war to try and seize power, leading to the central government having to draw forces away from the front to deal with it so they can get back to fighting the aliens.

That could be a subplot. Some of the more extreme factions use the chaos of the war to try and seize power, leading to the central government having to draw forces away from the front to deal with it so they can get back to fighting the aliens.
Of course a great crisis is the perfect time for another one especially if the aliens start strongly.

Morning y'all~ I've been thinking more about my sniper lady. Can't wait to actually get to show her off to everyone~ (and my potential alien for that matter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back