• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Invicta Civitates (A Hard Sci Fi Setting Inspired by the Roman Republic)

Rusty of Shackleford

Nine Thousand Club
Invicta Civitates
"Invincible United"

d1384a2199d4490eace90a0fc2fe722e.png
The year was 2357. For almost a hundred years, humanity had entered a golden age of expansion. With the invention of the Hawking-Einstein Drive in the mid 22nd century, Earth was finally able to reach out and touch the stars. First settled was the Proxima Centauri system, the came the surrounding systems, forming what was known as the Inner Colonies. After that the Mid Colonies, and finally, the Outer Colonies, the latter mostly used as military outposts and corporate worlds. There was little conflict besides run ins with pirates and raiders, the economy flourished, and it seemed there was nothing humanity could not achieve.

And tthn it happened. The Magna Finis. The Great Fall. All communication with the Sol system ceased. No messages. No shipments. Nothing. Then came Proxima Centauri. Then the adjoining system, and the one after that. Panic spread in the Mid Colonies as their worlds went dark as well. Eventually, all that were left was the Outer Colonies. Isolated, alone, beset by constant raids. Something had to be done, and the solution came from Admiral Jacob Harrison.

the remaining colonies were organized under his forces, their defences forces united and industry brought to bear. Soon enough, their sectors were all but free of pirates, and they were given time to consider what came next. Memories of the anarchy following the Magna Finis still lingered in many. Drastic measures were to be made, but the fierce independence was still there. So under Jacob Harrison, the Greater Republic of United Systems, or GRUS, was formed. At the top was the High Imperator, who was Jacob Harrison himself, elected by the Consulate, who in turn were the highest ranking members if the newly formed Republic's military. The government was established in the Accords, laying out the laws and rights of citizens, the responsibility of the government, and the role of the military.

Ot has been two hundred years since the founding of the Republic. The empire has expanded rapidly, thus creating a period known as Magna Lenimentum, "The Great Reclamation." The goal is to reclaim what was lost, and reconnect with the homeworld. So far they've made about halfway, colonizing any uninhabited worlds they find and conquering those with sentient life. Over a dozen species all live under the red and gold banner of the GRUS. Yet this golden age is under threat. There have been scattered reports of missing exploratory fleets, soldiers vanishing from their posts, sightings of odd sapient creatures watching small settlements. The first great enemy of the Republic is on the horizon, and many believe it will not only end the Great Reclamation, but the Republic itself.

Greetings! If my long droning infodump wasn't an indicator, this is a hard sci fi roleplay inspired heavily by the Roman Republic, following it near the end of a Republic's golden age, and the beginning of a massive interstellar war with an unknown enemy. Characters will for the most part be in the military, which is also somewhat tied into the central government since military service is required to participate, and many government positions double as military ones (a Consul also commands a Legion, for example.) While Rome is the primary influence, it also takes inspiration from other sci fi media, such as Starship Troopers, do while much of it is Roman esque, expect the usual modern military stuff and the like. Just because we're space Roman's doesn't mean we don't have military academies or propaganda films. But before the start, lemme get into the rules!

1. Be cool! I try not to be too overbearing but please be respectful to me and everyone else. No one likes a party pooper.

2. 18+ for characters please! Not sure I'm comfortable with having sixteen year olds dying horrible deaths on some god forsaken hell world.

3. Come up with ideas! There's a lot I haven't brainstormed for the GRUS, so any suggestions are great! This also means you can play as an alien as long as you explain when they were brought into the Republic, how it happened, how they're seen, etc.

4. Stay semi realistic. I'm not expecting everyone to be a quantum physicist, but try and stay plausible. No rayguns or laser swords here.

5. Be at least semi literate. Again, don't wanna be overbearing. Just be a decent writer okay?

6. LGBTQ characters are allowed! Not like the government really cares as long as you so your part.

7. Plot with everyone! I absolutely encourage plotting relationships and arcs with everyone, as I feel like it adds so much to an RP.

And now onto the plot! There are two directions we can go with this:

One, we focus in a small squad of marines stationed on a planet when the invasion begins, the follow them throughout the conflict.

Or two, we focus on the tactics of politics of the higher ups. The scheming, the treachery, that sorta thing.

What we do depends on you guys! If need be I'll make a poll and we'll do whatever wins. So yeah! Do your duty as a citizen of the Republic and join today!

Jabroni Jabroni The time has come.

I know! Imagine having one character in orbit, commanding starfighter wings and fleet manuvers while also commanding ground forces that include characters in the infantry. Decisions by the more intrigue-y characters would effect the grunts, etc. Might actually try that.

Cybernetics are pretty common, especially long veterans. It's not uncommon to have prosthetic limbs or organs. So there most likely isn't a problem, as long as it doesn't effect your abilities on combat

That actually reminds me! Tech level is pretty advanced, but not like, Star Trek levels. The primary weapons used are still ballistic, with infantry rifles being traditional firearms, while larger weapons, such as those mounted on tanks or warships are railguns, though emplaced weapons like machine guns and anti-tank weapons are also often railguns. Lasers are used but usually only for point defense in orbit of a planet.

Just reserving a spot if you don't mind, compatriot. Still reading things. Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford

I don't make promises of what I want to run until everyone has an idea of what they're doing, I prefer being a gap-filler. Watching this thread.

EDIT:

Right, I'd be more into the of the big picture of the story, if I had a choice of what to be doing.

Just reserving a spot if you don't mind, compatriot. Still reading things. Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford

I don't make promises of what I want to run until everyone has an idea of what they're doing, I prefer being a gap-filler. Watching this thread.

EDIT:

Right, I'd be more into the of the big picture of the story, if I had a choice of what to be doing.
Feel free, dude! I'm gonna make either a Corporal that's sort of the mother hen of the squad or a former starfighter pilot turned starship captain and prospective Consul depending on the direction

Feel free, dude! I'm gonna make either a Corporal that's sort of the mother hen of the squad or a former starfighter pilot turned starship captain and prospective Consul depending on the direction
Thank you for your prompt response, I do have a particular hope I'm hoping for admittedly. Crux of the issue is how many characters we can input and if we've allowance to enter anything modest into the lore? I have a few ideas I was hoping to try in a similar setting, that I hope to use here, and would like to talk to you about it when ready.

Thanks.

Thank you for your prompt response, I do have a particular hope I'm hoping for admittedly. Crux of the issue is how many characters we can input and if we've allowance to enter anything modest into the lore? I have a few ideas I was hoping to try in a similar setting, that I hope to use here, and would like to talk to you about it when ready.

Thanks.
As long as it isn't like too crazy, feel free! This is sort of collaborative. If you're unsure about a lore idea ya have, feel free to pass it by me! As for the number of characters, I'm unsure. You can have as many NPCs as necessary, but I'm thinking of a limit of maybe 3-4 characters, with more if need be

Thanks, I'm going to let what I have germinatei n my mind a bit as I lurk and come back to you with what I have then.

Watching this thread.

I’m pretty interested! Not quite sure what I’d want to role as yet though! Maybe some sort of medic or scout if that would work?

I’m pretty interested! Not quite sure what I’d want to role as yet though! Maybe some sort of medic or scout if that would work?
Welcome aboard! I am thinking of making this a borader story, focusing on both the frontline soldiers and the higher ups and scheming, so both could work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back