• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Invicta Civitates (A Hard Sci Fi Setting Inspired by the Roman Republic)

Not the GM, but I'd strongly reccommend against this, since this brings up several questions that complicate everything else.

I've been in private talks with the GM the past few days and the technology level doesn't allow for inter-galactic travel between galaxies, it's a chore to go from one end of the empire to the other (months), and this isn't a galactically sprawling super-empire. The space between galaxies is several magnitudes larger still. This would be extremely difficult to justify and if there's other civilizations in the universe with intergalactic travel, they would presumably be common to encounter in some sense due to that factor.

Further, he has shown interest in expressing the 'alien-ness' of the alien invaders more strongly and has suggested he'll be retconning out the mention of alien species. This will move the context of the aliens to be the first aliens ever encountered by a human race in a 'space-rome' type of civilization, making it more of a cosmic horror story in nature with a lone humanity in confusion after a disastrously violent first contact scenario.

As I said, not the GM, but from what I know this isn't congruent with the overall plans of the GM as I know them, please re consider.

Thank you for your time.
I think I'll wait for the GM's thoughts, mate. They mentioned aliens were alright, and I've got ideas for a backstory to explain how he got to where he is. Forgive me, but as another player you have no grounds to tell me to reconsider. If the GM asks me to, then I will, of course, but you have no right to tell me what I should and shouldn't make.

I'm conflicted on aliens. ON the one hand, having at least a few aliens under the Republic might be interesting. But on the other, it would be more shocking if they've yet to find other interstellar species. But yeah, extra galactic travel is pretty much impossible. Current warp tech allows you to travel from one edge of the current Republic space to the other in abouta f ew months at least, so yeah. Hmmmm....I think I might allow one alien species under the Republic, but they were not as advanced. Think on the cusp of interstellar travel, like near future or so. Not sure though.

I'm conflicted on aliens. ON the one hand, having at least a few aliens under the Republic might be interesting. But on the other, it would be more shocking if they've yet to find other interstellar species. But yeah, extra galactic travel is pretty much impossible. Current warp tech allows you to travel from one edge of the current Republic space to the other in abouta f ew months at least, so yeah. Hmmmm....I think I might allow one alien species under the Republic, but they were not as advanced. Think on the cusp of interstellar travel, like near future or so. Not sure though.
Understandable. I wasn't sure how advanced space travel was. I'd like to be an alien if possible, maybe one that hides himself as a human or something. But as I said, if not! That's ok too!

Understandable. I wasn't sure how advanced space travel was. I'd like to be an alien if possible, maybe one that hides himself as a human or something. But as I said, if not! That's ok too!

Actually, being a member of a rare alien species hiding away in the greater human empire might be pretty neato. When his alien nature gets discovered it could bring forth an interesting plot about his 'loyalty' and if he could be trusted.

The deepest lore could be he's basically an alien refugee from a separate alien race compared to the invaders, and at the start he doesn't even know he's a refugee and is just as shocked to learn he's an alien living amongst humans?!

Actually, being a member of a rare alien species hiding away in the greater human empire might be pretty neato. When his alien nature gets discovered it could bring forth an interesting plot about his 'loyalty' and if he could be trusted.

The deepest lore could be he's basically an alien refugee from a separate alien race compared to the invaders, and at the start he doesn't even know he's a refugee and is just as shocked to learn he's an alien living amongst humans?!
I agree actually! That could be interesting

Yooo xD this sounds kind of cool actually. (Also sorry if I came of as rude. I really wasn't trying to be hostile. I know tone comes across differently over text)

Hmm.....I'll need to think on this. Again, both options could work.

And, about this, since we all just mentioned the travel-time issue in the empire, why not use this to balance out the "aliens are strange" and "aliens are a thing" parts? Maybe the GRUS has been facing minor first contact scenarios before this where small numbers of aliens have been integrated into society on a minor level but the invasion is the first 'major, organized polity' that's been 'encountered'? It'd maintain a certain acceptance of aliens as a fringe occurrence (giving us plenty of juicy outsider syndrome fodder for story and characterization purpose) but maintain the horror of an all too sudden, unknowable threat at the periphery of the empire for the greater plot.

In theory, anyway!

And, about this, since we all just mentioned the travel-time issue in the empire, why not use this to balance out the "aliens are strange" and "aliens are a thing" parts? Maybe the GRUS has been facing minor first contact scenarios before this where small numbers of aliens have been integrated into society on a minor level but the invasion is the first 'major, organized polity' that's been 'encountered'? It'd maintain a certain acceptance of aliens as a fringe occurrence (giving us plenty of juicy outsider syndrome fodder for story and characterization purpose) but maintain the horror of an all too sudden, unknowable threat at the periphery of the empire for the greater plot.

In theory, anyway!
That's actually what I was thinking! The GRUS has yet to find one massive alien society, so integrating what they've found has been easy. They usually learned the local language, sent in a few legions, offered annexation, and if they refused, those legions..."pacified the local population." Depending on how things went, the local population may even be given full citizenship and be allowed to stay.

That's actually what I was thinking! The GRUS has yet to find one massive alien society, so integrating what they've found has been easy. They usually learned the local language, sent in a few legions, offered annexation, and if they refused, those legions..."pacified the local population." Depending on how things went, the local population may even be given full citizenship and be allowed to stay.
There are probably whispers of greater races from beyond, but like you say nothing concrete as to say, "Its the Klingons, man! They're comin for us all!" By the time anyone notices, most of the major planets and hubs have been taken out within weeks or months.

There are probably whispers of greater races from beyond, but like you say nothing concrete as to say, "Its the Klingons, man! They're comin for us all!" By the time anyone notices, most of the major planets and hubs have been taken out within weeks or months.
Exactly! They know something is out there. They can detect the signatures, bit they're unsure if it's human or not so they're waiting. By the time they realize what's happening they're gonna get pushed way back into their territory

Having just been appointed as Consul by the Comitia Centuriata, there are those who have the best interest of the Republic at heart, and those who would try and sway a person with such power for their own ambitions. (Of course that may be to high up the chain, but imagine the political intrigue, the struggle for power, and who knows what a man, woman, or machine might do to keep it).

I see plans within plans, and behind it all, I suspect the Emperor. -Consul Decimus Livius Regium (My possible character)

Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford
Windsock Windsock

Having just been appointed as Consul by the Comitia Centuriata, there are those who have the best interest of the Republic at heart, and those who would try and sway a person with such power for their own ambitions. (Of course that may be to high up the chain, but imagine the political intrigue, the struggle for power, and who knows what a man, woman, or machine might do to keep it).

I see plans within plans, and behind it all, I suspect the Emperor. -Consul Decimus Livius Regium (My possible character)

Windsock Windsock
Ah, a fellow patriot. Can the Consulate not see the true enemy? While we bicker amongst ourselves, the real threat will rip us asunder. We must be united, or else be crushed to dust.

Possibly also going to make my captain the governor of his home planet, alongside considered a candidate for Consul (a governor is sort of the governor of a state while a Consul is like the Senator.)

Windsock Windsock

Why did I get @'d lmao

Ah, a fellow patriot. Can the Consulate not see the true enemy? While we bicker amongst ourselves, the real threat will rip us asunder. We must be united, or else be crushed to dust.

Possibly also going to make my captain the governor of his home planet, alongside considered a candidate for Consul (a governor is sort of the governor of a state while a Consul is like the Senator.)
I drink the truth of your words dear brother. Surely those in the senate understand what we are really up against? Those who do not understand will be made to do so or be replaced by those who do.

I drink the truth of your words dear brother. Surely those in the senate understand what we are really up against? Those who do not understand will be made to do so or be replaced by those who do.
The Republic was built on order and peace. Those who use the positions set by our forefathers do not deserve them.

My mind yields to the wisdom of your words, but my heart tells me that we must be ever vigilant lest our very throats be opened by the hand of our enemies.
Wouldn't be the first time an Empire fell from within. We should be careful, unless we want to follow in the footsteps of Old Terra

Loove this kind of setting, gives me sorta Red Rising vibes ??
Not entirely sure what I’d want for a character just yet so if there’s any particular roles that would be useful to have filled I’m all ears, but otherwise I’ll be lurking 🥴

** ok editing cuz I’ve said this and immediately got the thought to make some kind of ultra-ambitious, ladder-climbing, Machiavellian rat character who could easily be a soldier or some low-level politico to work with either setting 🤔

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back