• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Invicta Civitates (A Hard Sci Fi Setting Inspired by the Roman Republic)

AceTheLizardKing AceTheLizardKing Before I forget! Cyborgs are absolutely allowed, but here's a more detailed look at cybernetics.

First the most part, cybernetics have progressed to the point where the only difference between getting a prosthetic and a cloned limb is cost and personal taste. All military personnel are given robotics, however, as properly creating a nee limb via cloning often takes months, alongside a lengthy prep time for surgery and an equally long recovery time. Cybernetics, on the other hand, are easy to create and integrate, and in some cases are better. Some heavier soldiers are given stronger arms to allow them to carry heavier weapons, pilots are sometimes given synthetic eyes to increase vision, etc.

So in short, go for it. Just keep in mind that you can't do anything too crazy. No gun arms or stuff like that, unfortunately.

pilots are sometimes given synthetic eyes to increase vision, etc.
LOL you read my mind so completely with this. I was considering making a character that was born blind and wanted to pilot so badly that she found someone to give her cybernetic eyes illegally/shadily etc. (She could have them properly replaced by the military, or if this doesn't work in your world, she could have simply saved up enough money for them!)

Other players:
Jabroni Jabroni
Direct Timing Direct Timing
AceTheLizardKing AceTheLizardKing
Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian
skycaptain skycaptain

Requesting more detailed character concepts/etc to reduce overlap. Still working on the prototypes for my things.
As I mentioned above, I'm considering making a pilot that was born blind but acquired cybernetic eyes in a potentially shady/illegal/illegitimate way. She's volatile and grumpy, and feels like she has a lot to prove to show that she's good enough to be a pilot and to go out on missions to recon/recapture other planets. Backstory wise, I think she's going to be descended from a Proxima Centauri refugee from before the Republic's formation and her goal is getting back there to see what happened to the planet system her family has told her whispered stories of.

As I mentioned above, I'm considering making a pilot that was born blind but acquired cybernetic eyes in a potentially shady/illegal/illegitimate way. She's volatile and grumpy, and feels like she has a lot to prove to show that she's good enough to be a pilot and to go out on missions to recon/recapture other planets. Backstory wise, I think she's going to be descended from a Proxima Centauri refugee from before the Republic's formation and her goal is getting back there to see what happened to the planet system her family has told her whispered stories of.
Also that works great! Wow, looks like a lot of us are making pilots.

Hey, pilot, co-pilot, command captain. Not that big of a deal. So, we just have more space fights instead of planetary fights!

Windsock Windsock Did mention an idea of his character forming a sort of XCOM style special forces team made to immediately deal with high risk threats without worrying about oversight, so a possible idea is that the lower ranked characters could be brought into it, thus giving them more weight in the story

There's anlot that could be done with it! Different officers could vie for control of it, wanting to.use it for their own gain. What if the one in charge starts using them for political assassinations? What if someone tries to shut them down by coming up with a mission that's almost guaranteed to fail and thus prove the task force is a waste of resources?

political assassinations
You have my attention right here. What if the captain of this task holds "better eyes" and a higher position over my sniper's head? "You kill these political targets, I get you better eyes." Oof. Oooooof. I can get behind this so hard.

On a separate note. Are we limited to one character? Because I wouldn't mind making say... A mechanical engineer to ride on your ship with you, too.

You have my attention right here. What if the captain of this task holds "better eyes" and a higher position over my sniper's head? "You kill these political targets, I get you better eyes." Oof. Oooooof. I can get behind this so hard.

On a separate note. Are we limited to one character? Because I wouldn't mind making say... A mechanical engineer to ride on your ship with you, too.
Yeah! My captain would probably be very much against this sort of thing, but I imagine he wouldn't have command of the task force. Plus, medals and commendations do give soldiers better pensions, so they could also use this to bribe the soldiers.

I'd say right now there's a maximum of two, with more if need be.

So far I have two character ideas and they're as follows:

A disgruntled demolitions expert who's mostly in it for the pay and future pensions.

Or

A savvy black ops operator who grew to love cybernetic augmentations a bit too much for anyone's liking.

So far I have two character ideas and they're as follows:

A disgruntled demolitions expert who's mostly in it for the pay and future pensions.

Or

A savvy black ops operator who grew to love cybernetic augmentations a bit too much for anyone's liking.

If I've a say, every party needs direct combat types and so I'd reccomend the second concept. Of course, be aware we can allegedly have 2 dudes.

So far i'll be writing up a "gear bitch" who handles the ground team's equipment and ammo. Probably a jumble of Swahili and "Common" language background, from one of the Little Cape Towns.

0c59c52cd0b850692de312aaeff43816.jpg

Last edited:
I've decided my starship mechanic is an alien from a very distant galaxy whose home planet was completely destroyed. (Art by AestheticMachine) AestheticMachine-DeviantArt-Mass-Effect-Alien-Head-Concept.jpg

I've decided my starship mechanic is an alien from a very distant galaxy whose home planet was completely destroyed. (Art by AestheticMachine) View attachment 903307

Not the GM, but I'd strongly reccommend against this, since this brings up several questions that complicate everything else.

I've been in private talks with the GM the past few days and the technology level doesn't allow for inter-galactic travel between galaxies, it's a chore to go from one end of the empire to the other (months), and this isn't a galactically sprawling super-empire. The space between galaxies is several magnitudes larger still. This would be extremely difficult to justify and if there's other civilizations in the universe with intergalactic travel, they would presumably be common to encounter in some sense due to that factor.

Further, he has shown interest in expressing the 'alien-ness' of the alien invaders more strongly and has suggested he'll be retconning out the mention of alien species. This will move the context of the aliens to be the first aliens ever encountered by a human race in a 'space-rome' type of civilization, making it more of a cosmic horror story in nature with a lone humanity in confusion after a disastrously violent first contact scenario.

As I said, not the GM, but from what I know this isn't congruent with the overall plans of the GM as I know them, please re consider.

Thank you for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back