• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Galina ignored Camille's comment. She nodded in response to Rosanna. "...then you burn the corpse after that. Just to be sure."

"Cutting off the head usually does the trick" Erwin interjected coldly.

Last edited:
"Unless its one of those damn purebloods. Heard they can put themselves back together or somethin'. Never seen it myself, personally. I think the last pureblood that got killed was around what...seven years 'go?" said Rosanna, glancing to Erwin. "Much easier dealin' with werebeasts. Just pop a fist full of silver into 'em, and they go down like a sack of rocks." She glanced back to Wesley, before giving him a smile. "You're gonna do fine, son. Just keep your wits 'bout ya, and we'll watch your back." she said finally.

Soon enough, Valeria's voice sounded off. "Time to go, ladies and gentlemen. We'll be passing through open country on the way to Bromwich, so keep an eye on your surroundings." she said aloud, before flicking the reins of her horse. The steed understood, setting forth through the courtyard in a light trot. Civilians were starting to emerge from their homes and hovels, filling the streets slowly as the day began. Shops began to open up, as their workers arrived. Some of the workers were walking down to the docks, ready to set out on the various fishing boats. More constables also began to appear, as the day shift began.

"Understood, ma'am." he said. With a gentle whip of the reins, the two horses on the front of the carriage began to move, pulling it along. He spoke aloud to the passengers inside the carriage as it moved. "If you folks need anything, just give me a shout and I'll stop." Once he finished, he started to sing. "Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Clementine. You are lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry, Clementine..."

Maritte listened to the lich's harsh words quietly. Even before Aleister replied with his own vitriol, Mariette began to laugh ridiculously at the pathetic display. "Is this really how you tide yourself?" She finally asked, when she had tempered herself once more and Aleister had finished his rant. "Please go back to your book; there's no regards for you here."

Outside, there was talk of a new (in more ways than one) hunter arriving at the inquiry. As the carriage began to move and the hunters discussed all the colorful ways to kill a vampire, Mariette opened the curtain by an inch and peeked out at the young man. "He could always take a ride with us, if he wants to know what vampires are really like..." she offered to the riders, half-jokingly.

As the carriage began to move, it seemed as if Ethraeil had ignored all of Aleister's remarks and criticisms as he had not taken his eyes off the book he was reading. A few seconds of silence passed before Ethraeil slowly moved his eyes straight towards Aleister's and closed his book shut. He then laughed again in a mocking manner, as if he was relishing this vitriol. "Like a blind oaf, you stumble in ignorance even with immortality at your side. I have experienced a thousand lifetimes, and I see the same cycle perpetuating in this cruel world with you shadow leeches time and time again. I've killed enough of your kind to see it happen repeatedly. For you to lose control." he spoke with a calm, but harsh tone. "To me, it's not a matter if you become the monster to be slain, but when."

He then leaned in closer towards Aleister, his icy gaze piercing throughout. "And for you, I don't see you ever becoming a beacon of virtue as you prop yourself up to be. You are a vain, petty shadow of a man cares more about his appearances than his actions, attempting to maintain a modicum of humanity like a desperate rat looking for a piece of cheese to feast on. You'd sooner kill a person to maintain your civility than to look in the mirror and admit to yourself maybe, just maybe, you are the monster."

Ethraeil then leaned back, his gaze now fixated on the floor. "I have already accepted that fact about myself a long time ago. My mistakes, my horrors, are my own. I care not what you judge me to be. In the end, I can only seek to exist with it." he said with a hint of melancholy. "But do not even pretend to understand me as if you know me."

Last edited:
Theodore had finished preparations of his on hand equipment. The vials were refilled, bombs restocked after comparing notes from the earlier experiment and he checked to make sure his own revolver was ready just in case. Along with it's regular munitions, the gun had been modified to handle a modified variant of explosive, caustic and incendiary rounds. After the checkup was complete he closed the trunk and went to climb on his horse.

On the way he overheard the other hunters giving advice to a new member of not only the group, but the profession. Theodore decided to chime in
"Mon ami, make sure not to over analyze what the others are saying. Especially when you are so inexperienced. Let us first see how well you do out on the field before we tell you what needs improvement."

The group continued through Airedale, passing through the market and on towards the northern gate. Craftsmen here and there watched them depart, giving them a wave as they passed. Rosanna waved back to each she saw, being as polite as she could. Valeria, however, was more focused on moving on to Bromwich. Horse hooves clacked across the cobblestone streets, drowning out the footsteps of the average citizen on foot.

As the group moved along, nearing the gate, they could see a few constables clustered around a fire. Most of them looked as though they had just risen out of bed, scarfing down breakfast or coffee. The two guards at the gate looked more fresh, and promptly opened the gate as they neared. Outside, the cobblestone road north, along with numerous crop fields. There were two large farms north of the city, exporting various goods to the lower territories of Atraca.

As the group ventured out, a lone woman clad in black watched them from far behind. She flashed a toothy grin, as the gate eventually shut behind them. Excellent.

Last edited:
Chapter 1
"Perhaps the black powder addict is right." Camille admits, increasing the pace of her horse so she could break a bit further ahead of the group. "No need to fill your head with an overload of information, you'll know if you are capable of being a real hunter within the first few moments of combat with a vampire." That had actually been genuine advice on her part, as her first real battle with a vampire had her woefully unprepared for what they were capable of. If he could find a way to manage crawling out of the most dire situation by the skin of his teeth, then he would be proper hunter material.

The Escarian huntress kept a brisk pace with the rest of the group, only taking in the dreary sights now and then as she did not seem to care for the waves and greetings of the townsfolk. It was easy to assume that she thought little of them or this place, but in truth she was more focused on the task at hand more than her surroundings. For the first time since those damnable undead were stuffed into the carriage she had some peace and quiet to herself. That was until the constable began singing. Muttering something to herself, she allowed him to continue his tune for a few more moments, trying to shut her eyes and be patient as well as understanding. Best to let the man exhaust his vocal chords now before they were further out from town and the ghouls were upon them, she wagered they fancied the more talented meats up here.

Last edited:
Jakob waved at the locals and constables with a big smile on his face, shouting various things at some of them with a gregarious tone to his voice. "Hey, Alfred! Take care of yourself!" he said to one constable, waving to him. He then continued to sing songs from his native region. Looking to Rosanna, he asked a question with a big smile on his face. "Hey sister, know this one?" he said, before starting to sing another song. "One evening as the sun went down and the jungle fire was burning, down the track came a hobo hiking. And he said-" He paused, waiting to see if she knew the lyrics.

Rosanna gave Jakob a big grin, and began to sing where he left off on the song. "'Boys, I'm not turning. I'm headed for a land that's far away beside the crystal fountains. So come with me, we'll go and see the Big Rock Candy Mountains!'" she sang, before chuckling. "Been a while since I heard that one. My older brother would sing it whenever he'd get his hands on a guitar." She glanced back up towards the front, taking note that Camille had road ahead a bit away from them. "She really don't seem like much of a people person at all." she said, nodding her head in Camille's direction.

Jakob laughed quite loudly. "I can tell your brother is a great person then!" he said, before looking towards Camille. "My mother would call her a big ol' stick in the mud, but I'm sure she's got her reasons." He then looked back to Rosanne and smiled. "So what's your story, sister? I mean, its clear you're from the South just like myself, but where specifically?" he said. "I'm from Redgorge, but my father came from Escaria. My mum was one of them swamp folk."

With the others providing their own advice Galina thought it would be best to remain silent.
She gave out a half-amused grunt at Mariette's joke and shook her head as Camille again tried to force her ignorant preference for swords down everyone's throats.

Once the group began to move Galina formed up at the rear of the party.

Because her horse was the fastest one next to Rosanna's she would be able to rapidly flank any incoming threats on the sides or, if the situation calls for it, turn around and double-back to find help.

It was an old trick she'd learned in the military although it was rarely that Galina herself would assume such a role due to her being the squad leader- placing her at the center normally.

With the carriage occupants bickering, constable singing and the others minding themselves Galina found herself studying each and every one of them.

Obviously the group was unlike any other she had worked with before. Quirks and egos aside she was beginning to think it wasn't a bad thing.

As much as she didn't trust the vampires she couldn't help but think that they would have some use and unlike Camille Galina didn't feel so strongly against vampires- they are mere beasts and it's her job to get rid of them. No need to make it so personal.

"Ahhh, I'm from Stonebank! Back when it was an actual gold mine instead the ghost town it is now." replied Rosanna. "My father was a soldier from up in the highlands near Tsavania, and my mother was from Daristein. I was the middle child out of three. Mitchel was my older brother, while Charles was the younger." Stonebank had been a ghost town since the early 1830s, so it showed just how old Rosanna actually was. "Dad died from TB, mom died from the same thing a year later. Me and my brothers joined up with the huntin' guild, then moved to Skull Creek when mom died. Lived there ever since. Charles died on the hunt that got me killed, and Mitchel died a few years ago. Still have some family left, though. Nephew and grand nephew. Both of 'em live in the capital now."

"I can tell you know that you're making them proud, sister." Jakob gave her a warm smile. He couldn't help but feel pity for his fellow southerner. "Bet you've hunted a lot over the years, and I can't imagine how many more you're gonna hunt in the future. Making things safer for the rest of the common folk." He then gave her a salute with his off hand. "Gotta thank you for your service." He turned his attention back to the road, but continued to talk with Rosanna. "All I have is my wife, daughter, and sister." He gave the reins a gentle flick before continuing. "My sister is in the Hunter's Guild too, you know. Lil' beast that one! Last letter she sent me, she was killing zombies over in the countryside near Cedar Valley. Hunting the necromancer that spawned them. Proud of that rascal, honestly." Then his tone changed to a far more somber one, but he continued to smile. "Also had a son once."

"Your way of delivering this story makes me think he's in a six foot deep hole somewhere." Erwin said as he sat leisurely in the saddle. He turned to Jakob and cast a look with his sharp eyes from behind his brim and mask.

"Or perhaps worse, he became a fiend and it was you who put him in that hole."

Rosanna didn't need to ask, really. Losing family members was painful, and she imagined losing your own children hurt far more. "...I'm sorry for your loss." she said, a much softer tone to her voice. Eventually, after a few moments, Rosanna spoke again. "I never took any huntin' jobs involving necromancers or witches. I stuck with hunting werebeasts, bloodsuckers, or other stuff like that. Personal reasons." she said, switching back to the topic of hunting.

It took Aleister a moment to fully wrap his head around the hypocritical words of the lich. The sheer magnitude of ignorance coming from such a supposedly ancient creature made him feel physically sick, something he had not truly felt in decades, and he was stunned. He focused his mind on a prayer to his two gods, asking not for strength, as he was not so vain to demand any such thing, but to ask for forgiveness for his own breach in conduct and thinking. He abhorred such disdainful behavior that the lich showed, and the fact that the lich could give rise to such behavior within himself made him feel thoroughly disgusted.

"I cannot even begin to address such utter nonsense. You ask me not to pretend to know you, yet you display such pitiful hypocrisy on judgement of myself and my kind. You are right - you are a monster. And a damned one. You will find no peace at Gyasis' or Undite's side, that I am certain," he said softly. "You have so clearly missed your mark that I pity you more than hate you. Go back to your book, as the mistress said. Its the only peace you will have in this world."

Next time, if he had to choose between the carriage and walking in the sun, he knew what he would choose. If it was an elaborate ploy by the lich to have the carriage to itself then it was the surest victory of the century. The only thing that could keep him in the carriage was if Mariette staid, for he did not wish for her to deal with this creature alone.

He kept to himself for a while after the conversation, only glancing over at the other vampire when she remarked something to the others outside. It seemed another hunter, perhaps an inexperienced one, had joined them. Everyone had to start somewhere, but he felt this type of work was not suited for amateurs. Then again, if they could survive this, then they had a fair start in their field.

Upset now that the lich had thoroughly ruined his mood, he turned to Mariette in hopes of improving it.

"Might I ask... and this may be personal, so forgive me... but what is your preference for blood? That is, if you have one..." Aleister asked quietly, sounding a bit like a dejected child. His mood had clearly been punctured from earlier.

He looked to Rosanna for a moment, maintaining his smile. "I've killed many weird things, really. First was a ghoul that got into my mum's chicken den. Mum came out screaming, and it was chasing after her. Daddy was supervising the mines, so I grabbed his gun and shot it down." His voice became more serious. "Then there was the Tsavanian werebeasts...me and my men in the trenches. Most of the kids didn't have any silver among them, so we had to improvise at the time...lost a lot of good men in the field." His voice then shifted back to a more cheerful one. "Killed a vampire once too!" he said, jokingly. "Well, thing got into my house while my wife was feeding lil' Lucy. He looked almost like a ghoul, but pretty sure he was a vampire. Poor thing must have been starving, but I had to protect my family. Felt bad for him, honestly." He bore a sad expression for a moment, before continuing. "Nowadays, its just ghouls or maybe the weird zombie or two." He looked back up to Rosanna. "I know how to handle myself. Certainly not an expert, but I can learn fast. Had to during the war."

The remark from Erwin about the fate of his son made Jakob give him a confused look, but he still answered it without ill feeling. "Nah, he died from cancer, you see." he said, his gaze shifting to the road. "Doctors said it was a bad one...blood stuff. I think it has a name now, but I don't quite remember it." He smiled while pulling three pictures from his pocket, showing them to both Rosanna and Erwin. "My wife Cecil, my lil' Lucy, and my ol boy Abraham." The young man in the last picture appeared to be in his adolescent years, which is surprising considering Jakob seems to be in his early forties. "Me and his mom had him at an early age. We were stupid kids, you could say, and her father was so angry he wanted to either have me hanged or force me to marry her. Since I loved her, we got married at the age of sixteen. Best moment of our lives." he said, reminiscing of times long past.

"That boy was something else....way ahead of his time, I tell you. He wanted to be an artist, always drawing the things he saw. Found beauty in most things." Jakob let out a chuckle. "He was so brave and kind, too. Always trying to help others out...but then he got sick and...well, at first we did everything we could. I had a lot of money from my military pension, but...despite getting the best doctors we could, they told me he wasn't going to survive." Jakob then looked to Erwin, his voice cracking for a moment. "Even to the end, he was an angel. He told me he was going to watch over us from the heavens." Jakob looked away afterwards, clearing his throat. He felt strange, having poured his feelings out to two strangers, but he also found it relieving.

"Daft question if you're serious," Mariette replied. "I haven't tasted anything but the human variety in nearly a century. It doesn't matter who they are, so along as they're healthy and young... I can taste impurities and the rot of old age. They part with it in my country if you avoid turning them and meet their asking price. But..."

She paused, struggling to remember the dark days between her fall from grace and her emergence as a wine magnate. "...there was once a time I couldn't afford it. I suppose I sampled a little of everything, whatever I could get my hands on." Her eyes lit up and she smiled in a hungry sort of way. "...Once, I killed a wolf that was stalking me in the dead of a winter night. Perhaps it was the thrill, but nothing else was quite so satisfying..."

Erwin eyed Jakob for a brief moment, before turning his attention back to the road without replying.

Ethraeil only gave off an aura of smugness as he leaned back and went to his book again, content with ruining Aleister's mood. He gave off another mocking chuckle as he flipped the page to a new one and began immersing himself with literature again.

Rosanna listen quietly till Jakob finished, before speaking again. "I'm sure he's walkin' among the divine." she said, motioning towards the sky with her thumb. She hoped her brothers were up there somewhere too, honestly. Meanwhile, she was forever stuck here in the mortal realm. "You seem like a good man, so maybe you'll get to join 'em one day. If the angels above deem you worthy enough. They're a rather picky bunch from what I've heard."

Valeria, at the front of the group (but still behind Camille) had remained silent the whole time. She often kept to herself on these sort of things unless directly spoken to, focused more on her work much like Camille. As she rode along, she drew out her personal map of the island. It already bore a few scribbles here and there, from her previous travels to the island. One was a simple reminder to stock up on silver cartridges. Others were mentions of potential creature sightings. There was one next to Bromwich, which mentioned that graves had been robbed. A necromancer had been sighted in the area a month ago, and had been killed off by another inquisitor. Likely her now deceased friend.

As she looked over it, she traced the route they'd be taking to the town of Bromwich, passing through a few forested areas and some hills. They'd also be passing through two very small villages. Penketh, and Colkirk. Barely anyone lived in either village, but they'd still likely have to stop in at least one of them for the night. The horses could only travel so far in a day, and it was quite a distance to Bromwich from Airedale.

Eventually, the group would clear the farmlands of Airedale and emerge out into open countryside.

Camille was just a small bit ahead of the cluster of fellow hunters, back turned to the conversation but half paying attention. She actually was a people person, as most would describe it, not intolerant of other walks of life but quick to hate rude attacks on her honor and character. The talk of family got her to think of her own, what her parents and brother might be up to at this point. Between her father and brother starting to manage the family business of shipping and trade, their quiet hamlet is more than likely safe at the very least. Even if she held some bitterness toward him being born before her and having all the answers and options in the world, he was still family and she cared for all of them deeply. Camille made certain that the estate and surrounding towns were completely safe before she departed, and she knew even the most cocky of vampires were smart enough to steer clear of her home for now.

The constable's story was certainly pitiable, and she knew it took strength to remain so cheerful in the wake of tragedy. Still, when it came to the group mocking her personality or thinking her abrasive she hardly cared. The woman was a professional first, they would see her for her skill rather than her ability to mingle and make friends. Though, Camille wasn't exactly a monster.

"I am sorry for your loss." she states not too long after Rosanna says her piece, but beyond that she is invested in the path ahead.

"Thank you. Both of you." said Jakob, looking to Camille before turning his attention back to Rosanna. "And I'm sure your family is up there as well, sister." he added, before his tone changed back to a cheerful one. "And I'm sorry, not trying to ruin morale! I can tell most of ya are good people as well. Rough around the edges, sure, but who isn't these days?" He let out a small chuckle. "We're all human, for the most part. Even those in the carriage."

The change of scenery made Jakob realize that they were in potentially hostile territory. While the paranormal worried him, the possibility of highwaymen and bandits that delved into these open areas worried him more. "We should keep our guard up, ma'am." he said, looking to Valeria, who seemed to be lost thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back