• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
"But we do judge each other, madam. We do it daily. In every capitol, courthouse, church, and asylum. We even do it on the battlefield. And we are judged by others as well. The angel, observing from the distant divine plane. And the demon, dwelling in darkness in the Abyss itself. One punishes us for our actions, and the other preys on our potential." replied Valeria. "I do not defend the evils of men. I condemn them as much as I condemn the evils of the vampire, the werebeast, and the various other creatures and entities. But it is not my duty to punish my fellow man. It is my duty as an inquisitor to punish the vampire that chooses to feed on the innocent without their consent, and slaughter indiscriminately. Your hundred and forty years of good behavior does mean something to me, madam. It genuinely does. It speaks volumes of your character as a person. But should you harm even one innocent, and I should learn of it, I would not hesitate to pin you to a post and watch you die in the morning light. For that is my duty as an inquisitor of the Order."

Last edited:
Jakob agreed with Valeria, with the exception of the brutal punishment. No living being should be a victim of torture in any shape or form. He saw with his own eyes during the war what torture could do. He looked behind him to see the mysterious Marquess through the slip in the front of the carriage. After hearing her peace of mind, he smiled and told her his. "Don't take her words too harshly, m'lady. She has a point, but I agree with you." he said. "But...you underestimate us human folk too." He looked back to the road, speaking a bit quieter as he didn't want the others to listen to the conversation. "M'lady, us humans just hate. We always found something to hate at one point or another. First it was the mythical beasts of old, then it was the demons, then the dragons...now it shifts back and forth between hating vampires and ourselves."

He then let out a small chuckle. "You wouldn't believe the amount of xenophobic anti-tsavanian propaganda I saw during the war." He then looked back to her once more, with a warm smile. "That's just how humans are. We hate, but among us just like among you, there are a lot of good folk that are born with unique virtues of patience and understanding. Don't overthink what these folk might say. You seem like good folk. And from what I've overheard so far, you are good folk." He then chuckled again. "A bit weird, but good folk nonetheless."

Now knowing that Valeria could hear her, Mariette sighed. "You misunderstand, mademoiselle. I am well aware that humans are held accountable for their actions, but the judgement I speak of comes before action. Humans are innocent until proven malign, while vampires are malign unto death. Cooperation might delay the violence against us, grant us a temporary 'benefit of the doubt,' but we will never be truly free to live amidst the society that birthed us."

Jakob's comments brought a smile to the Countess's face. "You are right, Constable. Good humans pepper this earthly realm. I'll do well to remember that."

Camille just listens quietly for the majority of the conversation, shaking her head from side to side as she considers the words being thrown about. "I must say I can only half agree with the Senior Inquisitor." she starts, finally turning her head back to the rest of the group. "What your kind suffers from is an affliction, an unnatural disease that has granted you immortality with the price of incurable bloodlust. The day you are bitten is the day you cease to exist as a creature of aspiration and love, and no matter how you might delude yourself you will inevitably succumb to the curse you are stricken with. Vampires and other creatures of the night exist just to prey upon and torture humanity, and so long as they exist they shall be hunted unto death." The Escarian huntress is rather calm in her tone despite the amount of conviction her words have. She seems resolute in her outlook on such creatures, and there is no doubt many a tale and example she can recount to back up her claims.

"I do not pretend to be a scholar but, having fought so many vampires I know that none of you are the people you once were. Motivated by insanity and bloodlust, your precious need to feed and secure a lofty position in society to make broods and reproduce. None of that sounds human, non? Why walk an ever-changing world as a monster who can only bring it pain and suffering? Disgusting, really." Camille goes on, only to turn her head back and put her attention back on the road. "You are treated precisely for what you are, bloodthirsty, inhuman horrors that are guilty until proven not to be problematic. And even then that is a stretch."

Rosanna had been quiet as the group talked, listening to each of them as they offered their opinions and insight. After hearing Camille's comments, however, she spoke up. "You know humans do the same thing, right?" she said, leaning forwards on her saddle a bit. "Cling to power, feed on whatever ya can, and have as many kids as possible. Makes you no different than them. There's just a lot more humans than bloodsuckers, and humans don't drink blood...well, at least the sane ones don't."

She straightens back up before continuing. "And what am I to you? I'm sure you've heard the myths and such. Dullahans are wanderin' murderers. All we do is kill. And you ask why walk in a world as a monster that can only bring pain and sufferin'? Its because I'm not like my kin. I never want to be like my kin. The lady in the wagon has a pretty good idea. She wants to prove bloodsuckers aren't all the same, and I fully respect and support that. Because I'm doin' the same damn thing myself."

"And what does that say about us mere mortals?" Theodore once again tossed his own opinion uninvited "You speak of the evils of vampires, but let me remind you that those evils did not come from the void. Vampirism is not only an affliction of the blood, but that of the mind as well. In the many cases of vampirism you have investigated, if you had spend a minimal time examining motives and plans, you can begin to see a pattern. The person before and the person after may seem like night and day, but such simplicity is a delusion. Humans have ambitions, aspirations and passions just as vampires. The difference is that most vampires once contaminated with the cursed gene, lose their moral restraints and begin to act on those ambitions and passions with disregard for others."

"This of course is according to Harkell's research in the 'Almanac of the night', a very popular book among scholars and the like. Practically a foundation for modern understanding of vampires." He looked towards Jakob, in case the constable did not understand why the professor was referencing that piece of literature "Harkell concludes that vampires are primary creatures of passion or lust. And that the only reason they act so furiously is the moral restrains in their brain have been 'unlocked' for lack of a better term." He looked towards the carriage, knowing that at least one of it's occupants would likely object "Present company so far seems to be excluded. Never the less uncomfortable questions arise. If those moral restraints are so easily overridden by an affliction, are they really that strong? Is it really the vampirism that drives them to atrocities, or is the root problem more human? Heretical as it may sound to some."

Between her stern face and the hood over her head Camille's expression was pretty unreadable at the moment, though Theodore interjecting with science got her to consider her position. She was no fool, and her standpoint was built more on passion and experience than rigorous study. That did not make her any less right in her assumptions, however. "And so you sympathize with the vampires? Do you wish to create a bold new world in which undead and humans live together peacefully? Mon ami, surely such a vision is impossible, and a man of logic can realize that." she starts, shaking her head yet again. "These creatures feed on humanity, a parasitic nature that they cannot ever overcome. While they can suckle down the blood of animals to sate cravings, it is but a temporary solution, as their preferences are clear. What is their goal? Physically they can outlast and outdo most any human, they have an eternity to train their mental faculties should they get over their vain bloodlust and eccentricities. Man's only true limitation is time, and these immortal beings can transcend that limitation." Camille further explains.

"To that end, I find them rather superior were it not for their inescapable need to sustain themselves off the misery of others. You think that it's mere happenstance that much of Escarian vampires are nobility? Non, they wish to ascend to higher seats of power and corral innocent humans to be mere livestock or slaves. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile, as they say." she says, looking down at the reins of her horse before finally turning her attention to Rosanna. "As for you? It is rather commendable that you wish to be different than the rest of your kind, though I find that statement counter-intuitive. Dullahan's murder indiscriminately, yes. Yet here you are on this inquiry, offering your services to kill. If you truly wished to not fall into a stereotype, perhaps you should have taken up something like poetry instead?"

Last edited:
"You're kinda lookin' past an important detail, lady." said Rosanna, narrowing her eyes. She leaned forwards in her saddle again, before speaking one last statement. "Dullahans hunt and kill humans specifically." Afterwards, she straightened back up and reached down into one of her saddle pockets. She drew out the metal flask from earlier, taking a drink from it before putting it away again.

"Madame... I mean no offense, I still thank you for the kind words earlier" he said, looking to Camille. "You can believe whatever you wish to believe and I'll respect that..." he said, before his face became a bit more serious. "...but you're talking out of your butt." He shifted a bit in his seat. "First off, who the hell do you think you are to doubt the choices of Rosanna here? If she wants to prove herself by defending humans, then gods damn she can. Second of all, you m'lady, you don't have all the answers to life just like I don't. Stop assuming that lady Mariette or gentleman Aleister are going to become monsters because you sure as hell don't know that." He then spits off the side of the carriage into the dirt. "And if you wish to continue to mock them, I'll side with them."

"Don't waste your breath." Erwin said to Jakob.
"If you expect a escarian noble to see persepective you might as well go look for the gold of Gyllendahl. It's a better use of your optimism."

In truth, it was difficult for Ethraeil to concentrate on reading as the group began to discuss morality and evil. He resigned himself to only half-listen to what they had to say. There were certainly... Interesting points of view delivered. But none of them really appealed to him apart for parts of Camille's. The truth he had learned was simple: evil is inescapable. It resides in everyone. One could hide it, use it, or fully embrace the darkness within. But one could never escape that flicker of evil within.

One could do evil while pretending to be good, or one could commit unspeakable horrors for a righteous cause. One cannot be wholly good without some form of selfish reason to do so. Utter hypocrisy. It is better to admit and accept the monster within rather than pretend it doesn't exist at all. Ethraeil though to himself. In a quick flash, painful memories returned to him, causing his mind to shirk in pain. The Dark Age was not a pretty time for anyone existing then. A deep shame welled up as he remembered the atrocities he committed to further his goal. A vengeance that was rightful in nature, but did it justify what he did? It was a question he has wrestled with for numerous lifetimes. He wanted to believe that it was, but something kept him back.

Ethraeil refocused his mind back to the present. He particularly though of Aleister as the prime example of evil waiting to strike. He hides behind a false image, desperately wanting to show some semblance of normality. He lingers in the shadows, drinking animals blood to hide his nature. But when the chips are down, and the temptation laid before him, he will break and reveal his true nature. Just like all the others. And the cycle will continue, as always. The nature of evil, when given the chance, will always break through.

Theodore looked towards Camille as she began to argue. He nodded as she got her point across. And considered how to word his response while she talked to the dullahan

"I never claimed to have all the answers to this struggle, my lady. But I do wish that we do not limit ourselves as professionals to only one path of curing an affliction. When the plague hit Virtillo 300 years ago, countless died as the doctors refused to adapt from the old methods of medicine. Had it not been the trade ships that happen to stop at the time, carrying foreign medics, the disease would have likely wiped out countless more. Now, we are faced with a plague of a different nature. One that not only targets our blood and organs, but our hearts and minds, but we only have one method to combat it and we don't know for how long that will remain effective. Yes, you and I will continue to slay those that stalk others, but are we sure we are curing the disease and not the symptom? Why is the vampire gene limited to only humans where the werebeast is more diverse? Questions we have neglected to ask or answer because of our own narrow approach to a very wide problem. A utopia as you said, is impossible. I agree. But I refuse to believe we have only one path to follow."

Camille nodded back at Theodore, choosing to ignore Erwin for the moment as she tightened her grip on the horse's reins. She would start with Theodore, glancing in his direction as she stayed silent to absorb his words. With a roll of her shoulders she finally mustered a response. "I do not pretend to know all of the answers, and I am no philospher or someone seeking to change society beyond keeping things within the natural order they should be in. Your pursuit is most certainly noble, monsieur, but I will continue to follow my calling as you search for answers." she said, shutting her eyes for a few moments.

"And my calling, constable, is killing these monsters wherever they spawn." Camille suddenly said sharply. "I work tirelessly to prevent my country from descending into chaos, and my results speak for themselves. You have a family constable, and I wish to remind you how dangerous it can be to associate with those that would make them their next meal. I protect my people, and despite how I may hurt feelings my motivation is as just as the rest of you." she concludes, but soon glares at Erwin.

"I have an extreme amount of perspective, and even more experience on top of that. As much as Mademoiselle Galina would like to pretend that I am a star struck child playing a huntress, I put all of myself into this. And I have every reason to feel the way I feel about these despicable horrors walking among us."

Last edited:
Erwin glared at Camille for a brief moment, before tipping his hat and concealing his gaze from her.

"I'll believe it when I see it." He retorted in an almost angry fashion, with his focus directed solely down on the road as he rythmically swayed back and forth in the saddle.

Last edited:
Aleister listened quietly as the debated continued back and forth. He took the chance to focus in on who had what opinion and gauging the beliefs, and personalities, of those who spoke. It was a good time to get a measure of what kind of people he would be traveling with and working alongside. He was pleasantly surprised that there were more open minded folks in the party than those who were not from the sound of it, which is all he could really ask for. They didn't have to side with his beliefs or similar ones, they need only be open to reason. It was obvious that Camille was certainly not one of those enlightened ones, and he wagered that the lich was not either. It was most surprising that the constable seemed to be a fair bastion of reason. He never figured such people did much thinking, as swinging a billy club was far easier than pondering why. Perhaps that was prejudice speaking again.

"Vampires are still human," Aleister said finally out the small slot on the carriage. "Some of our kind, and no doubt many of your kind, deny this. But it remains true to me. Perhaps one does change on the transition from being mortal to immortal, but the soul does not. The capacity for evil remains in all beings, and even good men can perform the most atrocious deeds. I am sure the veterans of the group have seen that well enough. Yet do not forget that presumption leads to prejudice, and prejudice breeds ignorance and hatred. If you cannot recognize individuals as unique, then you yourself are blinded. No man or woman walks a life of purity without sin. And we all pay for those sins, one way or another, be it in this life or the next. But to condemn any one group of people on the actions of some is as ridiculous as it is sinful. Gyasis asks us to open our arms and hearts to all, not close them. Wrongdoers receive, and deserve, their punishment. That is just. What is unjust is to condemn and punish without actual reason. And a false or weak reason is just as bad as no reason at all."

As Aleister spoke through the window, Erwin pulled slightly on the reigns and hung back towards the carriage. When the Marquise was finished Erwin peaked from his horse down into the carriage itself.
"Rest assured, my friend. If you were still human, it would be called vampirism. And as for the soul... You know what goes pale and cold aside from a vampire? Dead men."
He looked up back to the road and continued.
"I've seen my fair share. And thats how you tell that the soul has rejected the body. You ain't nothin but a theatrical husk of what once was a holy man with a taste for demeaning clothes."

He looked back in through the small window and removed his mask, revealing his thrashed lower face. "Look upon my features, preacher. I've been tossed against the very brimstones of hell. And, were I half as pious as you masquerade to be, I'd tell you that there ain't no fire hot enough in that infernal abyss that would smite you rightly."

He straightened himself up and spit on the carriage door before once again covering his face.
"It is rightly so that sins will be repaid." He continued, "And I am here to collect whats due."

Last edited:
"Hey!" shouted Jakob while staring at Erwin, his right hand on his revolver holster "do that again and we will be in trouble, you hear cowpoke?" he let out a frustrated sigh as he saw Erwin covering his face. He thought for a moment that the mysterious hunter was more friendlier than that, he took a moment to face the vampire priest, surprised that he had finally shown his more spiritual side, which he found admirable "I'm glad you are an actual Priest, sir" he gave Aleister a warm smile "I was starting to wonder if you were just playing an act for a moment" he let out a small chuckle while eyeing Camille and Erwin "don't worry about them, as long as I am standing I'll make sure they don't try anything funny to you and the lovely countess".

"You must associate yourself with some curious dead men. The vast majority of them don't walk, and talk, and feel, and... well, live, for lack of a better word," Aleister replied back calmly. "Judging the soul based on the state of the vessel is foolish as well. I've met lepers with hearts of gold, yet their bodies decayed and rotted away as they wallowed in misery. Or are lepers soulless as well? Gods know they are cursed enough already. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that a bitter creature such as yourself would think that. Its all about appearances with people like you, is it not? Forget the deeds and actions," he said with a small touch of sarcasm.

Aleister looked over Erwin levelly as he showed his face, and he had to refrain from rolling his eyes. "It seems you and the lich think suffering is some sort of contest. We all bear pain; some better than others. Some are dealt more pain than necessary, and some don't suffer enough. Regardless, I adore the fact that you find yourself so haughty to judge me as if you were a god yourself. Your pride in your hatred and hubris is deplorable, to say the least."

He went quiet for a moment as Jakob interjected, and he nodded to the constable.

"People can insult me as they wish, for that I cannot stop. They'll insult me for anything that comes to mind. But there is one thing I will not stand for, and that is doubting my faith," he said loud enough for those nearby to hear. "Some of you have an insatiable bloodlust that is not so different from a vampire. While we drink it, you spill it wantonly with joy, letting your hands be stained crimson and the plants on the ground to suffocate under the divulge. Its pitiful. If you think you live righteously under the eye of the gods because you count yourself a monster in your own right, slaying and murdering for some self-righteous aggrandizement that you crafted for yourself, then so be it. Look upon the state of your own soul before you examine that of others."

"Hatred and anger are good allies when put to a task. And the pay is good. I'm sure you're familiar with the adage 'do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life'?" He said, looking forward on the road.

"Perhaps you know the story of the redwood girl, preacher? We'll, we just so happens to live in that fairytale at this very moment." He continued while casting a glancin into the carriage. "You see, I'm the wolf. Mangy, deplorable, outcast, dangerous..."

Erwins focus was once again upon the road in front of them.
"And you are the redwood girl. Infallible and innocent. And time and time again you venture through the woods of our world for decades. Through your wit and your tricks you outsmart me and wolves like me time and time again as well, I must admit."

He then leaned towards the carriage and whispered, "But as you travel on your toes, know this; It requires your best efforts to make it through those woods... But the wolves only need to get lucky once."

Erwin turned to meet Aleisters gaze, "And when this little redwood girl finally slipps up, rest assured. This wolf will be there to snap his jaw shut."

"And he'll even do it for free." He concluded with a tip of his hat before he tapped the reigns and moved forward next to Valeria in the convoy.

"More foolishness, thought I must admit I appreciate the creativity of your little fairy tale metaphor. I think you missed your mark as a story teller," Aleister replied dryly. "Regardless, I've never claimed to be infallible or innocent. I don't even suggest that for my kind. I simply ask for people to judge each other fairly."

As Erwin reigned his horse ahead, Aleister called out a little louder as he rode off. "But by all means, sir, be a miserable, pathetic bastard if that is what you desire. You could do so much better for yourself. You fool no one with your hard words."

Wesley nodded "So it would seem. Well, Since you shared some history from your end, I'll be glad to share some of mi-" Wesley trailed off when he noticed the now headless figure of Rosanna. he only stared at her for a solid five seconds before turning back his gaze towards Galina.

"Not too often I see anyone pull their heads off like it was a hat... Anyway! like I was saying before. I grew up in a middle class family, My father is a Carpenter and my Mother is a Baker. she'd make the best loaves of bread for breakfast. learned a thing or two from her.

Growing up, I had a really deep fascination with Art, you can interpret it Art and it sometimes has a deeper meaning in how people interpret what is shown to them, My parents' had me figured out as a painter as a job so they sent me to a Public University. Besides art. Weaponry was another hobby I really enjoyed.

Now. at this point you might be asking why I wanted to become a Vampire Hunter. well, it all started about two years ago when a Ghoul broke into my Parents home. looking for anyone to satisfy its thirst. I was the only one awake at the time and it charged at me with all of its teeth, I had no idea what to do. By the time that I manage to kill the damn thing, I was covered in scratches and blood. not really a good first time for me"

Wesley sighs "but, Everyone has somewhere to start anyways."

Last edited:
"It's a shame that whatever held your face against the brimstone of Hell didn't render you mute," Mariette said to Erwin, blankly. "If you're going to kill us, then kill us now, but don't be a bore and spend this whole ride making empty threats."

"I rather think he is more of a bore than a threat. After all, if he was the real deal, he wouldn't be making threats in the first place," Aleister remarked to Mariette, settling back into his seat a little more comfortably. "Though I'll be keeping my eye on him. The boorish ones don't have much self-control. At least the Marquess seems to have a spark of discipline, for what its worth."

Jakob let out a frustrated groan as he heard both Aleister and Mariette talk to Erwin "Madame, ignore him" he eyed Erwin as he continued ridding next to Valeria "I am sure there's a valid reason why his heart is full of hate" but then he added "but he seems like a dog, all bark and no actual bite" he smiled at the countess to reassure her things were alright, but Jakob feared for the safety of both vampire companions and his dullahan friend.

Content with having read enough from his book for the day, Ethraeil closed it and set it gently on his armored lap. It was interesting content, divulging the uses for species of mushrooms that grew in the wilds of the world. Some could be used for potions of interesting manners, as the ancient author had described it. Ethraeil was no alchemist, such an art was not his forte, but he could at least somewhat appreciate the effort that was put into it. Plus the author apparently included a variety of puns much to his amusement, he did always enjoy a good pun or two. However, after having his fill of reading he really didn't have much else to do. However, a good bit of music would help keep himself occupied in the meantime. He chose one of the old tunes of the ages past and began:

It was more of a melancholy tune than anything, a product of its time to be sure. There was no joy in those days, no respite from the madness and death, no peace of mind that one could find. It was a time when Ethraeil could still once have been considered a man, until he was left with nothing but a cold, bitter, and unyielding rage. As he finished, he quickly turned and faced the enclosed window, his mind lost in thought. There simply was too much pain in those words.

Damn it all, it was a mistake to speak those words. he thought to himself angrily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back