• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Aleister completely ignored the lich to the point that he may have simply shut the creature out of his mind entirely, as if it did not exist.

"I rather envy you, mistress, in that regard. Half of the time I feed, its typically with lambs blood. I find it delectably smooth and clear of impurity. Neither too sweet or bitter. But I do find willing volunteers from time to time. Painters, actors, musicians. That kind of crowd. Blood from the lamb is superb, but directly from a living person is always the most superior, naturally," he said with his own little hungry expression.

"Though I cannot say I've ever tried wolf. That sounds rather exquisite. Since were are out in the country, perhaps we can try one. But I do imagine the thrill is what gave it most of its taste... its the same with people. Anyways, if you are curious on trying lamb, I always have vials on me if you wish for a taste...."

"Trading recipes? Perhaps we'll be friends after all," Mariette replied with a lighthearted air. "I do hope you have a means of proving where you source your stock from, if you choose to keep them on your person," she added, a bit more seriously. "To a human, all blood is human, and ill-gotten, at that. I keep receipts tied to my vials in case I'm questioned. It may not make a difference this far from home, where my reputation is meaningless, but that's no reason to be reckless."

"...Do you suppose we'll meet others like us? The civilized type, I mean. That's part of the reason I came: to prevent this Inquisition from turning into an indiscriminate slaughter."

"Receipts? No, I don't usually have proof of the blood, though if I get the lambs blood from a slaughterhouse or company, I do usually have a proof of purchase. Often times I get it from a passing farm. I do, on the other hand, have a certificate from the church verifying my... good behavior, which usually covers any inspection," he explained, not adding that the certificate was crafted by himself. It wasn't counterfeit, as he was a priest and it was an entirely legal document, but anyone who noticed would probably find it curious that he had signed off on himself. There was a witness who signed the document as well, a Bishop Holmfield, though the man was at least twenty years dead by now.

He thought for a moment on her last question and remark. "I suppose we will, though if the news of vampire attacks is truthful up here, then clearly there are some malcontents active in the area. I suspect there will be some civilized brothers and sisters about, and hopefully some we can speak to and convince to behave. Regardless, I must compliment your reason for being here. You are on a noble mission, then. As for myself... I support your goal, though I was rounded up to join. I had no knowledge of this inquiry only a few hours ago."

Aleister reached into his coat pocket and removed the canvas and leather case he kept his glass vials in. He unlatched it and removed one of the seven and he held it out for Mariette.

"Go on, please try it. I've already fed earlier today, but consider this a good luck toast. You may be pleased with how it tastes, but I won't be offended if you don't like it. Perhaps this little inquiry will give us ample opportunity to experiment with new blood. I am rather taken with the idea of trying wolf, now."

Mariette took the vial from Aleister and swirled the fluid a bit, examining the shimmering color behind the glass. "I've already had a meal today as well, so I'll try a sip, and you keep the rest. To good fortune, and long life," she added wryly before removing the stopper and taking a slurp of the lamb's blood. She squinted in concentration, focusing on the subtle taste profile differences as would be expected of a wine merchant. "It's mellow. Very pure, as you described; I could survive on this if I had to," she finally said. "The taste is palatable, yes, but I wouldn't choose it over my own stock."

She handed the remainder of the vial back over to its owner. "Now, I suppose we wait for something interesting to happen. You know, there is another reason I've come here, and it's about that woman, Camille. She's quite the troublemaker in my country. I'm sure you're aware, but Escaria has more vampiric lords and ladies than the other countries. The duchy I reside in is near to falling into our hands completely, but as much sway as our kind has in that region, it will do us no good if we're set upon by these hateful adventurers. Chalmette Florissant was one of two, but the other was... reclaimed. Mademoiselle Giguere personally saw to it. It is my suspicion that she has had some terrible thing happen to her which she feels must be repaid to the people of the night.

"I want to change her mind... one way or another."

Aleister's smile was genuinely warm and pleased. "Ah... I'm glad you find it suitable, at least. Perhaps the taste has grown on me. I must admit, it reminds me of being a child drinking warm milk again. Just... smooth. Its been a staple of my diet for so long now that I cannot imagine going with out it. Human blood is like a treat now for me, though as I said, my stock is near half and half. I find alternating between lamb and human allows for the latter to retain its exquisiteness," he explained, taking a small sip from the vial when he took it back. He placed it away in its case and tucked that into his coat.

"Indeed... the Marquess has quite the reputation at her age. I can admire such a drive in anyone, but one so destructive and hateful is rather distasteful. I've known soldiers who have killed a great number of people in their years who were far less... oh, whats the word, intense? Its difficult to properly put her personality into words. But you are right - I suspect she must have some trauma in her life that has led her down this path. Hate is, after all, one of the most powerful motivators. I'm ashamed to admit it has been a driving force for myself on a few occasions. Looking back, it was probably hate which drove me into my mistress's arms to become a vampire. On that occasion, I do not regret it in the least. For that I must apologize, as you mentioned your own turning was not so... pleasant, so forgive me if I speak poorly."

"No, it's quite alright," Mariette explained. "The whole affair is very nearly ancient history by now. I was dying of fever and too weak to resist. My husband had just lost his half-brother to the same plague and didn't want me to perish in the same month, and so he took desperate measures to find a cure and force it on me. As you can see, he was rather successful in that regard. In exchange, it cost him everything. I had hoped he would eventually accept the same cursed gift that I had been given, but instead he surprised me by taking his own life, instead."

"That is... most unfortunate, but as you said, ancient history by now. I am glad it is behind you. It is not so good to dwell on past pains, especially with our longevity," he nodded.

"My turning was a reward for... good service, so to speak. I had already been living with Madam Saville and her daughters for, oh, a couple years if I recall correctly. I had returned from my pilgrimage and had no place to stay, but I had been acquainted with her daughters years before that when I was a young boy at school. I met them often on my evening walks, or when it was especially cloudy. I suppose it is fortunate my sisters are rather soft. Had they not had any restraint, I could have been turned at... fourteen or fifteen years old. Now that would have lead to a quite different life."

"Living as a mortal man in a house of vampires was, well, foolish in some ways, but I trusted them as they trusted me. Really at that point it was an inevitability that I would join them eventually in undeath."

Aleister left out the part where he helped kill an inquisitor to save one of the sisters.

"I was perfectly lucid for the occasion, and I remember it well, though she drank so deeply from me I fell unconsious. But it was pure, absolute bliss," Aleister sighed softly. "I always feel guilty when others were turned in less than ideal circumstances."

Mariette nodded. "Learning not to dwell on the past was the prelude to my awakening. Had I known then what sort of promise comes with this existence, I would have accepted it without hesitation. That, I feel, is the greatest reason the humans fear us so potently... the day our two races are held as equal in merit is the day that no one will choose to be mortal any longer. And once the privilege of majority slips from their grasp, the humans will no longer dictate the laws of this world. But that day," she added, glancing at the lich as if to signal that she was cautious that he may spy on their conversation, "is a long way away. Centuries, maybe. Nonetheless, we'll be there to witness it."

((Going to bed.))

"Most certainly. I cannot fathom why any would prefer the... imperfection of the mortal coil, the sickness and pain associated with it, rather than the blessing of vampirism. But you are right, it may be centuries before such a society comes to exist," he said, noticing her glance at the lich. "Hopefully by then people will have become less narrow minded and bitter."

Wesley kept close to the rear of the party. after hearing the different accounts of Vampires and Purebloods from the other hunters earlier. He immediately thought up any strategies for if he ever finds himself alone in combat and taking down any notes of their strengths and weaknesses. Ghouls were one thing, but Vampires that move in break-neck speeds? he needs to adapt if he ever wants himself to see another day.

After making a mental note to practice, Wesley noticed Galina from his peripheral view and decided to get to know more of about the lives of his coworkers

"How's life there at Tsavania?"

Jakob focused on his surroundings for a bit, looking for signs of possible criminal activity. Last thing he'd want is someone from the group dropping dead from a bandit's rifle shot. He looked back at the rookie as he tried to socialize with the Duchess from Tsavania, before letting out a small chuckle and looking to Rosanna. He was mildly curious about her nature, having only heard stories from the folks from the Highlands about the mythical headless horsemen and women.

"So...how does it feel? he asks, a smile on his face. "I mean, what do you feel as a du...dull...uh...duhlan...headless person?" The name she kept using for it was rather odd. "Do you feel pain if you remove your own head? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, of course."

Rosanna chuckled. "Nah. It doesn't hurt. I can take it off pretty much at will and carry it around if I want. I can even still feel things when my head is detatched. Still got full control over my body too, or I can just sorta let it do things on it's own." she responded, before reaching up to her face. She then detatched her head once again, her eyes turning once again jet black as her head is pulled from her neck. She then cradles her head in her hands, careful to not knock her hat off as she rides on. Smoke billowed from her neck just like before, blackish grey plumes gently being carried away by the wind and fading. "I've been shot a few times while like this...bullets feel like you're being stung by a hornet or somethin'. Cuts sting too. Got hit by a werebear once. Plowed right into my body at full speed. Felt like I got hit by a train, but my body got right back up and managed to kill it." she explained, while her body reached up and slapped her chest with a fist. "The strange thing is when I'm around gold. I just get this urge to move away from it. As far as I can. Its bad 'nough that when I got paid for jobs, I had to specifically request that I be paid in foldin' money or silver coin."

"One of gold's hidden properties." Theodore gave an answer, unprompted, but felt like he should. The tutor had been riding near the coach and had been listening to the ongoing conversation to help pass the time. A bit rude, but the alternative was focusing on the long road ahead of them. And the thought of the boredom was maddening to him "Creatures of the spirit realm such as yourself are vulnerable to gold. Can harm and well, kill you, if enough amount is used. Popular theory among the masses and most members of the church is that gold and silver are placed in the ground by the gods as a way to keep the denizens of Hell beneath our feet as a web of sorts. Them being harmful to the touch to spirits and demons and anything else that tries to get out. The veins we discover to be mined are merely a surplus for use in case some break through so we can have tools to defend ourselves." He paused for a second to catch his breath. "Of course, that theory is riddled with holes, so it's discounted in places of higher learning. But truth is, we don't know why gold is harmful to members of the spirit realm. As your cousins from the apparition family tree are extremely hard to capture and properly examine."

Last edited:
"Would that explain why abominations of the night seek shelter in depleted and abandoned mines?" Erwin turned around anf asked, with a slight interest in his tone.

Jakob looked to Theodore and Erwin, a bit confused by the topic of conversation. However, he was legitimately happy to have a man of science in the group. "Glad to have ya around, friend. We need smart folk around." he said, giving Theodore a thumbs up before looking back to Rosanna. "I can tell you are, like my mum would say, a tough bitch." he says, jokingly. "And I bet you were just as tough as a living person too."

"Very much so." Theodore answered Erwin "The mines are depleted so the metals are not present to cause harm, not to mention the mazes so many mines end up as aid their nature."

"There is something I have noticed with colleagues as our hunts inevitably lead to one such location. Vampires and the like suffer a somewhat inhibitor to their natural 'gifts' inside the abandoned silver mines. I have a very hard time proving this, but I hypothesize that the residual silver and gold left over in the mines affects them, if in a very limited way. It's what inspired my latest creation. A bomb that fills the air with a mist of silver particles. Still in experimental stages, but maybe this hunt will provide for more testing opportunities." Theodore turned to Jakob after he concluded.

"Thank you mon ami."

The idea of a bomb full of silver particles baffled the constable. Such a device would be extremely useful against all manner of beast on a battlefield, but then he remembered the people inside the carriage. "Just try to avoid using it around the folks in the carriage." he said. "Last thing I'd want is to see that sweet marquess lady or that young man coughing their lungs out in a silver cloud."

"Ahhh...I'll be sure to watch out for gold, then. Don't want to kick the bucket too early." commented Rosanna, before returning her attention to Jakob as he complimented her. "Well, I'm still alive. Just...different." she said with a chuckle, before placing her head back onto her neck. The smoke disappeared, and her eyes returned to normal. She went quiet as Theodore responded to Erwin, and Jakob added in his comments. Eventually, a few moments afterward the others had finished, she spoke again.

"Hey...I uh...I need to ask y'all to do somethin' for me. Sort of a favor." she said, looking down towards her horse as they rode. Her expression had turned a bit serious. "If we...ya know...run into any normal folks that decide to screw with us or anything during this thing we're doin'...think y'all could handle them? I'd appreciate it a lot." She looked back up and over at the others. "...Got some personal reasons behind it. I'm fine with huntin' and killin' creatures and other stuff."

"I usually yell if allies are in the danger zone of the bomb." Theodore tried to assure Jakob "I'll make sure to keep them in mind."

Rosanna's odd request made him raise an eyebrow, making him wonder what exactly he reason was.
"If someones decides to stand in the way of an Inquisitor's inquiry, that's their own decision and will soon feel the consequences. That is how the system works."

Jakob looked to Rosanna, raising an eyebrow, before smiling and giving her a thumbs-up. "You got it, sister. Hopefully the sight of a constable and several other unique and intimidating lookin' folks will stop any knaves from doing harm. Otherwise, I think we can handle it. I can tell the inquisitor herself is an experienced woman, and this fellow..." he says, before eyeing Erwin, "...looks like a killer." He chuckes, then makes a playful little bow. "And of course, I'll try my damnest to keep everyone safe."

Galina smiled momentarily before turning to answer Wesley. She used her right hand to move some loose strands of hair from her cheek.
"It's alright. Regardless if you are a noble or not. We have this collective ideal that we aspire to live by from the day we're born to the day we die.

In short, it's all about working together as a nation. No one is left behind. Everyone are equal."

Galina shrugged. "There are downsides of course. Decades ago the Law of the Firstborn was imposed. It states that all firstborn children are to serve a mandatory military service or face imprisonment in labor camps.

With enough preparation it's a breeze but for the poor and physical inept it can mean death.

Ontop or that, despite our collective ideals, the elderly and disabled are often left to fend for themselves.

We are a proud people representing a proud nation. Things would be easier sometimes if we could forget about our pride.

Perhaps we could've avoided the latest war if we had done just that."

She studied Wesley further. Details. Mannerisms. Tried to guess what he was thinking.

"Tsavanian society focuses alot on military strength and industrial growth. You won't find a larger military or better metalworks and foundries this side of Eshaxi."

Erwin glanced at Jakob as he made a comment on his looks and the returned his gaze forward.
"I have little trust for the bloodsuckers in the carriage. Vampires may seem human, but like any man they have a hunger inside. And I've seen plenty of mortal men driven to desperate action out of starvation." He remarked.

"And with a immortal nature and time left over to scheming... It's only a matter of time."

Jakob looked to Erwin as he talked about the passengers in the carriage. "I'll have to disagree there." said Jakob, staring at the road and gently whipping the reins to keep the carriage among the rest of the group. "Sure, us human folk can be just as horrible as any other unnatural fiend, but I believe that people can control themselves. And I certainly believe the people inside the carriage can do it too." He smiled a bit. "At the end of the day, they're thinking beings just like us. They have reason and free will."

Valeria finally spoke up upon hearing Jakob. "The issue, dear constable, is that most seem to lose control and forget reason as soon as the thirst for blood and power is introduced into the mix. As for humans, it is a similar case but with a lust for money instead of blood." she stated, still looking down at her map. Eventually, she rolled it up and tucked it away in her coat pocket as she looked back up to the road ahead. "Still, we are giving the two in the carriage the benefit of the doubt. They willingly joined this inquiry to assist us." she said, before glancing back to the others behind her.

The carriage had been silent for a while and Mariette had easily overheard most of what had been said between Jakob and the ones he had been talking to. The criticisms of her kind were nothing new to her, but sympathy from the Constable was quite a change of pace. Valeria's reply, however...

"Imagine, Constable:" she said through the slip in the front of the carriage, unsure if Valeria could hear her, "One hundred and forty years of good behavior... a length of time you humans simply cannot understand, and yet she speaks as if my downfall is around the corner. Vampirism is an affliction, but not one of the mind and body. It's a social affliction. We are prisoners of the world the humans have built for us, and there is no end to our sentence, no conditions of parole. The truth is that there exists darkness in everyone's hearts, and, given enough lifetimes, it will express itself in one way or another. We will cross lines that others find unforgivable. It is the nature of all people and not just vampires- any one of us could be murderers, adulterers, usurers... And yet... humans don't judge each other for their darkest potential. That curse is reserved for the people of the night."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back