• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Ethraeil didn't speak as he entered the carriage, ignoring Jakob's remarks as he settled in and took his seat at the back seat inside. In the meantime, he pulled out an old book and began to quietly read. It was an old book, its cover faded and wrinkled and its pages showed the signs of time's wear on them, along with a strange, ancient language on them. Yet, it seemed as if it was perfectly legible to the lich as he quietly eyed the pages and scoured through them. He took the time to read through the scene given by the writing, and the details describing the setting of the action in order to immerse himself in the literature before him.

Upon Mariette's remark upon his hat, he gave the object a slight protective pat. "It would be dreadful to see such a precious item destroyed in the vulgarity of a mob. At least my corpse will look positively charming as they hang me from the rafters," he chuckled as she departed to the carriage. He decided to wait around a moment longer, glancing back to Camille as she replied to him.

Her response was about as he expected, though perhaps a little on the better side. Getting some normal dialogue from the woman was a step up from the teeth snarling, fists balled, spiteful glare that possessed her whenever she spoke. And it wasn't just to the vampires - he remembered seeing that little confrontation between her and the Tsavanian when he arrived with the inquisitor. An excellent mixture of personalities, he thought with a mental sigh. These people were a little too dangerous to be deemed circus freaks. Perhaps he had stepped into an asylum instead.

"Charming, Marquess, charming. I do look forward to our next heartfelt conversation," he said, turning to eye the inquisitor as she returned with some constables to get the group ready. He listened closely to her words and paid attention to the rules of engagement. He wasn't much of a line fighter himself, though he was capable enough. You couldn't be a traveler without knowing how to defend yourself. Someone, somewhere, always wanted you dead, or robbed, regardless of if you were human or not.

Aleister nodded as the inquisitor concluded. "I will perform to the letter, madam inquisitor," he replied as everyone else spoke their own confirmations.

Heading to the wagon, he lightly checked his coat pocket one last time for the small pouch he carried with him everywhere. Within was seven glass vials of blood, strapped in place and padded with cushioning. A drought for every day of the week should he be in a situation where he could not feed otherwise. It would be a worst case scenario to not find something to feed from for an entire week. He had an elixir bottle in his suitcase that served as a refill, being only a little smaller than a wine bottle, so he had plenty of nourishment to last him far longer if he rationed himself if need be. The bottle itself was filled with lamb's blood, as that was his favorite animal to drink and the beasts always bled well. He couldn't deny that there was also a somewhat artistic element to feeding from such an animal. Regardless, if there was one business every vampire had to be serious about, it was ensuring they had food.

He stepped up to the wagon and settled down inside on the bench beside Mariette, allowing the lich to have his own seating to himself. His hat was far too big for the interior, so he removed it and set it across his lap, untying the ribbon and clutching the silk in his hands. He rubbed it between his fingers, enjoying the lavishing smoothness of the fabric. Now that he was inside he looked a little more reserved, his half smirk melting off his face to be replaced by a soft, neutral expression.

"I suppose parasite is the new insult of the decade. I remember when it was still bloodsucker. And before that, fiend. I wonder what they will come up with next, or if they'll just start to recycle," he said idly to Mariette. "I don't think we were properly introduced outside, as you caught my name, but I did not catch yours, madam. You are...?"

"Je m'appelle Comtesse Mariette Desrosiers de La Cygne," she replied without looking Aleister in the eye. "It's a small province down south, in wine country. That is what I do, in fact... I am a Vintner, although once, many years ago, I was married to Prince Auguste Perrault, the uncle of the eventual King Ghyslain II. I would have been Queen of Escaria had my husband not chosen to end his life at the most inopportune time," she explained, a dull hint of bitterness in her voice. At the mention of the King's name, Aleister realized that Mariette had been a vampire for around a century and a half. She closed her eyes and took a breath before continuing. "...But business is good. You are a marquis yourself, I hear. In what territory do you reside?"

So the woman was in fact a great deal older than he was, as he had only been a vampire for about forty years. He had already lived nearly a full lifetime, and had he been human, he did not doubt he would be nearing the time he would pass naturally. Such thoughts were rather disgusting. Immortality was the greatest blessing imaginable, among other things.

"Whitecliffe, in northern Atraca. The estate has seen better days, I'm afraid. When my siblings were married off or died, and my parents died, I took control of the estate and title. Its a rather dreary place. Whitecliffe used to be much nicer back in the day - cotton and some exotic spice imports found good ground there. Now the riverfront is mostly factories and mills. My real residence is in Montclair, much further south and not too far from the border with Escaria. My mistress, the one who turned me, is Clarabelle Saville and her estate is there. You may know of her. She is quite involved in the midnight society and is... oh, I dare say a little over two hundred and fifty by now," he said, glancing Mariette over. "I have long left the nest, so to speak, but my brood sisters are homebodies."

In truth, he had somewhat of a soft spot for the older and more venerable ladies like Mariette, as many reminded him of Mistress Saville. Not that he would inform anyone of this, for it was a trait which could be exploited by anyone crafty enough. Hearing that Mariette could have been Queen many, many years ago was rather... engaging.

"A winemaker... sounds pleasant enough, though I am not so certain I am ready to settle down anywhere for such a life, like my mistress. I'm a priest as you already have heard, though I am in a peculiar enough position that I can retain my noble title and still remain a man of the cloth. A Marquis that doesn't rule, and a priest without a congregation. If you enjoy a dramatized touch to it, I consider myself something of a shepherd. I enjoy life and help people along the way as I see fit. I've traveled the continent nearly nonstop since I was able, and don't plan on stopping any time soon. I enjoy the traveling lifestyle, even in the more... dreary... locales."

He trailed off, realizing he was talking a bit much. He didn't have any associates with him on this particular trip so he was a bit lonely, but he was still a little worked up from earlier. He had that promising young artist he wanted to court a little more until the inquisitor whisked him away.

"To know and value the one who turned you- I wish I could say the same. I was transformed against my will... At the time I would have rather died of fever than become a creature of the night, but I've come to accept who I am. I never learned the name of the woman who bit me, although I tried in earnest to unearth that knowledge decades after the fact. I've known many of our kind and have grown to enjoy our hidden society far more than I recall enjoying the turbulence of human nobility. The intimacy is far greater; it is as if every vampire I meet knows me on some level. But that may be due to a difference in culture. My estate in La Cygne was a vineyard since before I was born, and while it has gained some modern conveniences, it is still the ancient brick and mortar I've known since I was a teenager.

"I do hope to live on and witness a great change in the world, one which will end this strife between human and vampire," she said, finally looking Aleister in the eye. "...But that will take us defying expectations and not reinforcing them," she added, rather pointedly.

Aleister broke her gaze, almost timidly playing with the silk ribbon, twirling it around his fingers at the clear admonishment.

"Yes... well, I hope to see that change as well. I can tell you dislike the theatrics. I'm not usually so excitable... usually... but in the company of the Marquess and other less than polite individuals," he said, only slightly glancing over at the lich before finally looking at Mariette again, "I cannot help but thumb my nose at such behavior. That woman is wicked, possibly broken. Teasing her is difficult to pass up. In my lengthy eternal journey across the world, playing the dandy has been far more helpful than not. Its disarming, and may even be an annoyance, but it isn't threatening. The first one everyone goes to when something goes wrong is the quiet stranger who arrived in the middle of the night. Or the vampire that was far too polite and is clearly hiding something. Being thought of as a frivolous popinjay not only protects me... it protects others."

"... and its entertaining, I'll admit," he added somewhat self-consciously.

"Regardless, you heard what the Marquess said earlier in regards to each of us. She thinks I'm the fool, and you deceitful and hidden. Everyone will always think we have an ulterior motive. Perhaps many of us do. But the fool is the last suspect. I'm sure you already know this, but if anything goes wrong, we will be the first suspects immediately."

"The problem with your reasoning," Mariette replied, "is that while you may avoid scrutiny by playing the fool, you will never earn their trust, either. All it will take is one clear moment, an opportunity to prove to them that I mean everything I say. I've done it before in Escaria and I intend to do it again."

"That is fair enough, I suppose. But on some occasions it has worked out well enough for me. In my opinion, its not so much who you are that convinces them... its who they are. I've met plenty of vampires who are, and in some unfortunate cases, were, upstanding citizens of both moral and virtue. They gave to the poor. They promoted healthy lifestyles. They donated to the church and state. Even opened their doors and arms to the needy. And one day, they would be dragged to the town square and left out for the sun to roast. If they aren't finished off in a burning pyre, its a stake and a mallet," he replied somewhat bitterly.

"In regards to the company we keep... I don't think any of them will so easily come to trust either of us, and if they do, it will be a weak trust. The inquisitor, thankfully, strikes me as an utmost professional. But some of our other 'honorary inquisitors' couldn't be any more open-minded even if the tops of their heads were sawed off."

Jakob started to sing a little song from the Atracan countryside, about a young man trying to prove himself in the world. He was trying his best to ignore the conversation between both vampires as he awaited the orders to move, but he couldn't help but to feel sadness for both of his vampire companions as he unintentionally eavesdropped.

As the lich read his book, he could not block out all words fro the vampire's conversation. The annoying one in particular with the annoying hat had his words intrude Ethraeil's train of though, much to his ire.

"I could think of worse ways to go." Ethraeil responded casually, and un-empathetically, to Aleister's remarks of sun-roasting and stakes. He did not break his gaze from the book he was reading as he spoke: "Soul being ripped apart, sliced by hellbeasts, flayed alive, freezing in the cold wastes. Not a pretty sight any of them, all of them designed to maximize your lifespan before expiration." He then chuckled as he read over an excerpt from his book, his laugh sounding like ice sliding on steel. "It rattles my bones to hear what you think you know suffering is. Or whom you decide is 'wicked' as a person."

"Crossbow? Check."

"Hatchet? Check that down."

"Revolver? Always have it on the holster."

"...Garlic? hmm; looks like I didn't pack for that."

The young, fresh-faced Wesley Wilch closed down his pack of equipment filled with essentials for any rookie vampire hunter. he received news about a current investigation by other hunters about increased vampire attacks around Grimtham Isle. eager to improve his skills, He got himself a boat ticket to Grimtham later in the day after hearing about it. however he seemed to have arrived late. after stepping out of the ferry. he followed the location on where to find one Valeria Witlock.

Wesley would describe himself more as a "Rookie" than just a "Wannabe", he respected the hard work that experienced hunters do, rather than imitate something that he knows he's not good at. being a Vampire Hunter was his dream! not just some fancy title he can wear around to impress women. in terms of his skills. well, he could say that its mediocre. he's only faced against Ghouls who have wandered into animal farms. not actual, dangerous Vampires. which might present a problem towards him and the rest of his teammates.

After stopping for a brief moment to drink some water, Wesley continues forward. eager to meet his companions on this journey.

Galina patted Boris gently alongside his left cheek. She looked up. By the looks of it most of the group was ready to go.
The vampires and the lich were having a discussion inside the carriage, Jakob was singing, Theodore's equipment was being loaded up and the others were making final preparations.

She looked the other way, down the street, and spotted a man casually walking towards the church. He was armed by the looks of it. Late arrival perhaps?

Galina smirked. His face reminded her of Artem; a brave shocktrooper she had served with during the war. This stranger looked to be around the same age even, he was almost as handsome too.

As the man neared Galina's features turned neutral and she nodded towards the man but remained silent.

Aleister's face twitched ever so slightly as he heard the lich speak up, his expression twisting into something of incredulous contempt. He was torn between saying something productive or insulting, or perhaps both.

"You insolent cur," he growled out. "Suffering is no competition. I care not for what something as pitiful as a necromancer, the lowest of all vile cretins, thinks. To live is to suffer, and we all bear it differently. You're just some chained up hound that is a convenience for the church. A tool, nothing more. I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt but I can tell by your words you are just as simple and ridiculous as I thought you to be. I've lived a life of being judged unfairly, but you don't even have the capacity to even enter into consideration. Humans and vampires alike can live noble lives and repent their sins... but a lich? Wrestling the souls of the deceased from the hands of the gods and using them for your own, selfish and twisted desires is... is... simply despicable."

He could tolerate many things, but to hear this kind of smug criticism from an actual unholy abomination was almost too much.

Aleister forced himself to focus on his silk ribbon to calm himself, and he closed his eyes and sighed. "Prejudice is a great sin. But an entity as old as you must be rather dull if you haven't figured that out yet." He didn't know if he was terrified or impressed that this creature could catch his ire so easily.

Camille huffed in annoyance and looked to the sky to gauge how much time was being wasted, part of her hoping that the vampires they were hunting were snobby enough to take as much time as their's did. Despite the many snags she was certain Valeria could handle this, between all of them she had plenty of undead bait and spies to get close to their targets, she wagered. While it wasn't her preffered invistigation method she knew it had merit, and she most certainly would not be calling the shots on this one. The Escarian huntress rolled her shoulders, head turning to the side and her gaze catching wind of the new arrival.

Just by looking at his expression and walk she could tell something was off about this man. A certain anxiety that she couldn't quite narrow down about his figure. If it was either fear or genuine happy-go-lucky excitement it would not bode well for the group. Could he be woefully inexperienced? Perish the thought, else he might hurry off to a quick end. Then again she only assumed he had intentions to join them based on his armaments, if she were lucky he might just be a traveling mercenary passing through...

"Oh thank god, they're still here."

Wesley silently thanked whomever was ruling the pearly gates that he got to the group on time. he noticed that there was a woman. obviously a Hunter from the way she was dressed, who noticed his arrival. Wesley decided to introduce himself to the experienced hunter as a way of making his first impression with his new coworkers.

"I assume this would be the Witlock Inquiry?" Wesley then put his hand towards the Hunter, "Wesley Wilch, Hunter-in-training, At your service."

Galina shook Wesley's hand firmly. "Galina Kholdova. Royal Tsavanian Hunter Brigade."
She smirked. "Honorary Inquisitor as part of the Witlock Inquiry."

Galina gestured towards the horses and constables near the carriage. "Inquisitor Witlock is somewhere around there. Come on, I'll walk you to her."

With that said she patted Boris once more before leading the way. She glanced at Wesley, examining him down-up. "So, hunter in training? Any kills so far?"

"Eh, mostly Ghouls. people usually call me up when some of them wander into their farms. there's usually just one or two of 'em but its not as dangerous because I can just pick them off from a distance using my trusted contraption here." Wesley placed his finger onto his beloved crossbow that's been with him ever since he started hunting.

"So, Royal Tsavanian Hunter Brigade? how long have you been hunting vampires?"

"Gotcha." said Rosanna, in response to Valeria's explanation of their mission. Once she was finished, she strolled back over to Rayham and unhitched him from the post before climbing into the saddle. Someone speaking and Galina responding to them made her look about, however, to find that someone else had come along to join the inquiry. He looked young. Real young. Handsome too. As Galina lead the boy to where Valeria was, Rosanna motioned for Rayham to follow behind them.

When Wesley spoke up about having only hunted ghouls, Rosanna raised an eyebrow. He'd be in for a rude awakening should he run into an actual legit vampire. Ghouls were the failed vampires of the bunch, humans who's bodies rejected the infection from a vampire's bite. They mutate, losing their mind and running purely on the hunger for flesh. They were also the most common variant. Easy enough to kill, though. They died just like everyone else. Full fledged vampires were a whole different story.

Valeria watched the rest of the group scatter, mounting their own horses or climbing into the carriage, before slipping onto her own horse as well. The group was mostly ready to go, it seemed, and the sun was just starting to peek over the horizon to the east. It was still mostly cloudy above, however, and the light fog from the night had yet to lift. She looked back to the others from where she sat, and found that Gaina was leading someone to her. A young, fresh faced man. He seemed to be geared up for travel, carrying bags and various weapons on his person. A late arrival, but he would be welcome among them if he wished to enlist.

She still questioned his experience, though, judging simply from his appearance. He seemed far too young to be an experienced hunter. Perhaps he was just starting out in the business? If so, both she and some of the others could potentially give him some pointers. Especially Camille, considering her apparent hatred of any and all things vampire or undead.

Galina smiled and nodded. "Crossbows are great for silent kills. I keep mine on the horse just in case."

"I've been hunting for seven years now. Before that I was a scout sergeant with the Tsavanian Army. Fought during the war. Most of my kills are either vampires or ghouls. A pair of werebeasts. Hunted a siren alongside the Atracan coast once as well."

Eventually the two of them stood in front of Witlock. "Inquisitor," said Galina. She gestured towards Wesley. "New hunter."

Galina nodded towards Wesley. "Come see me once you got a horse. I can teach you a few tricks."

With Galina leaving him to Valeria, Wesley introduced himself to the leader.

"Wesley Wilch, Hunter-in-training. I'm here to learn under the guidance of this group." with that, Wesley put his hand forward.

Valeria looked down upon the new hunter from where she sat on her horse, her cold blue eyes examining his features. "I bid you welcome, Mr. Wilch. I am Senior Inquisitor Valeria Witlock, of the Vigilant Order." she asked, tipping her hat to him. "There is a unclaimed paint horse over there. You may use it as your personal horse. I assume you know how to ride one? If you don't, you may ride on the front of the carriage with our constable friend Jakob. Should you need assistance, do not hesitate to speak to me or one of the other hunters."

"No worries, Horseback isn't a problem for me." Wesley walked up to the horse and pet its snout for a bit before mounting on. the Horse let out a puff of air to which Wesley replied by patting it on the side. "Glad to be your partner for this journey too."

With that, Wesley steers his horse towards Galina, stopping near her.

"I'm up for some teaching, got anything in mind?"

Galina jumped up onto her horse. "Well, how good of a marksman are you?"

She patted on her rifle. "Sometimes the best way to take down a vampire is a shot to the head. Silver-tipped bullets always do the trick and unlike a crossbow bolt the stopping power of a bullet can halt and even knock down a charging vampire "

"As for vampires, how familiar are you with them and how much do you know about defeating them in combat?"

Last edited:
Camille trotted close to both Galina and Wesley on her horse, not wanting to bore herself with further sky-staring. How lovely, it seemed that the Tsavanian had found a pet that wasn't a werebeast. At least... as far as she knew. Gods, please don't let him be a werebeast too. She managed to catch wind of the conversation at the start of Galina's advice, prompting an eyeroll from the Escarian.

"Yes, most things manage to perish or be temporarily stunned upon being shot in the head. Are you going to inform him that vampires suck blood next?" she interjected quite sarcastically. Camille looked to Wesley and offered a sympathetic gaze, fearing for his upbringing if he would have to rely on firearms as much as this deluded woman did. "Loud, unwieldy, and illegant things, those firearms. Tell me; what do you do when you run out of cartridges? Beat the undead with the stock?"

Last edited:
Rosanna decided to chime in. "If your aim is good 'nough, you won't run out of bullets." she said, with a smirk. "But it always helps to carry some sort of blade to slice up things. The problem is you gotta get in close to use 'em unless you throw 'em. Throwin' knives or hatchets are great for that kinda thing. Problem with vamps, though, is they're loads faster than you are. Catch 'em with a silver bullet or knife to slow 'em down. They can't do that hellaciously fast movement of theirs if they got a little silver in 'em. Then stake 'em to paralyze them, and cut off the head."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back