• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Aleister watched with mild interest as one of the women in the distance simply grabbed her head... and pulled it off. A dullahan, it seemed. Thats the other creature he sensed. Rather fascinating, he had only met a couple over the years, and all of them nothing less than an adventure unto themselves. Hopefully this one wouldn't prove to be a dullard. As they got closer, the wagon caught some of his attention as it seemed something notable was locked up within.

Idly, Aleister took note of the man's name as Witlock spoke to him. Erwin. He looked like an Erwin. Aleister gave him a short nod as simple acknowledgement.

When the constable spoke of him, Aleister flashed a little smirk towards him, but he said nothing as Witlock chastised him and they continued on towards the group ahead of them.

Aleister took a careful look at all of those gathered as he stood beside the inquisitor, taking note of all the dour looking faces and serious attire. The women looked far more vicious than any of the men here, and he sense the annoyance on the well-dressed vampire already present. Presumably a noble in that kind of attire, though a few of the others seemed to be noble as well.

Once Valeria Witlock introduced herself to her own crew, Aleister waited a moment before speaking up as well.

"And I am Aleister Germain. Marquis of Atraca and ordained priest of the most holy Divine Church, and forever servant of Gyasis and Undite," he said with an extravagant bow, smiling wide to show off his fangs. His accent was distinctly high class and learned.

The realization that Rosanna was actually a Dullahan was met with some surprise, but he didn't bear strong feelings about her nature. Who was he to judge these creatures? As Witlock approached, he hurriedly holstered his weapons and approached the inquisitor. As he spoke to her, he chose to not pay too much attention to the flamboyant vampire standing directly next to her. "Ma'am, constable Jakob Phillomon at your service. I was told that I'm supposed to join your inquiry?"

Upon noting the fangs in Aleisters mouth, Erwin calmly placed his hand on the cutlass hilt whilst eyeing the vampire from beneath the brim of his hat.
He would be ready to draw, but something suggested the priestly vampire wouldn't attack.

After all, he was with Witlock, whom had made herself known to recruit the strangest of companions. Furthermore he was surrounded by what seemed like a murder of competent hunters.

However, Erwin prefered to be safe rather than sorry.

Camille turned to Valeria as she approached, offering her a bow of respect before she took note of the man following behind her. That was before she got a better look at him, and the introduction he gave as well as the wide, fang-bearing grin shown to her got her to bring her eyes wide. This and the revelation that Rosanna was a dullahan got the Escarian to produce a long, drawn out sigh. A gloved hand reached up and pinches the bridge of her nose, massaging the space between her eyes quietly. Her line of vampire slayers in the future would know of their matriarch's first real excursion... a band of hunters crawling with undead.

"And I am Marquess Camille of Giguere House... Pleased to be of service on this inquiry." she stated with some extreme hesitation.

Mariette reacted to the sight of Rosanna's strange power, albeit in a purely neutral way. Her eyes widened in curiosity but not alarm, until finally the vampiress smiled at the display. Otherness is not a crime, she thought to herself. The more we have here, the better off I'll fare...

Then came Inquisitor Witlock and an acquaintance who, to her pleasant surprise, was a fellow vampire. At least she now knew that the leader of the inquisition was a woman with an open mind, apparently a rarity outside of Chalmette Florissant. The brief moment of levity was lost upon her when she remembered that the unknown vampire could actually turn out to be a liability, as, despite her own words, she had in fact known plenty of her "kin" whom she knew were better off slain than spared. She hoped that this man, whoever he might be, would prove himself better than the lot. He certainly looked the part. He vaguely resembled a few of the different men she had romanced over the many years of owning her winery.

"It is a pleasure to meet you both," Mariette spoke. "I will be quite direct, if that is well: I would like to lend my services to this inquisition."

The second vampire flashed his grin and his teeth almost shinned even in the low light. Theodore was wondering when he would bother showing up. Like most of it's kind, the creature played up the theatrics to get it's attention. Something he had become more bored as of late with his last few hunts.

"Theodore Boivin, part time tutor at the St. Dupoint University of Advanced & Applied Philosophies and full time hunter at your services, inquisitor." Theodore said with a bow towards Witlock.

Aleister could see the exasperation on Camille's expression and the way she held herself. The name was vaguely familiar, and paired with her Escarian accent, it took him only a few seconds to pin together that she was that one vampire hunter who had stirred up some excitement in her native land. If she was indeed who he thought she was, he probably knew a few acquaintances who fell to her, or at least, were forced to flee from her actions. Not a terribly charming woman in that sense. She seemed more dangerous than the inquisitor.

The other Escarian, the vampire, seemed far more pleasing to be around - and not simply because she was a fellow vampire. Her appearance, the way she held herself, her accent... all spoke of refinement. There was no greater delight than to be among fellow vampiric nobles, though some, of course, could be rather poor company. The danger with nobles was not that they could be too dull, but too eccentric. Coupled with immortality and great power, it could breed a rather colorful personality that wasn't always a delight. But this woman did not seem to fit that criteria. She didn't have that look in her eye, and she held herself far too well to be a lunatic.

The professor or... strange knight with the metal pot helmet seemed closer on that spectrum, though he spoke clearly and politely enough. The man smelled faintly of black powder it seemed, and it was curious to see an apparent engineer joining an inquiry. The man looked like he belonged to a life of digging holes and throwing bombs with the military against some godforsaken fortress.

"A pleasure to meet your acquaintance, Marquess Camille," Aleister said with a smile. "As your noble counterpart, perhaps we are destined to a great friendship. A Marquess and Marquis go together, no?"

He then glanced to the other vampire, giving a slightly more deferential bow to what seemed to be an older and more venerable madam. "And an utmost honor to meet such an esteemed mistress, I must say." He did not doubt they would have much to discuss among this pack of murderers and rough riders, and have a more proper introduction later, as the lady seemed in a business mindset at the moment.

Lastly, he gave a nod to Theodore Boivin. "I did not expect to meet a fellow scholar of the fine arts and sciences in such a... charming... land, so I bid you good morning, sir."

He did not wish to speak too much alongside Witlock, but proper courtesy demanded acknowledgements.

"Delighted to make your acquaintances." said Valeria, looking to each of them. She looked back to Theodore after a moment, tilting her head. "I believe that I've heard of you before, Mr. Boivin. A hunter with a particular knack for explosives and the like. You were the individual that levelled the factory in Newhaven, correct? Seventy-four werebeasts slain in one go, according to the reports. Quite remarkable." She then turned her attention to Camille. "Ah, the famous 'Raven of Giguere House'. I've heard the stories of your actions in Escaria. I'm sure you've heard the stories of 'the Red Inquisitor' as well. I'm delighted to have a fellow veteran to work with." she said, motioning to herself when mentioning her nickname.

Then, her gaze shifted to Mariette. She bowed her head slightly, as the woman (though a vampire) was clearly of proper refinement. "You are more than welcome to join us, madam, though I would suggest a change of attire as we will be traveling." she said, before finally turning her attention to the constable that had addressed her. "Indeed. The Church requested that I be assigned a constable to assist me with my work. I requested someone with military experience, as well as experience with the supernatural. You fit the bill."

In time Camille recovered from her exasperated fit, huffing to herself quietly as that noble refinement returned to her. The difficulties this group would cause would be fine, as a skilled hunter, noble, and actual human she figured she would be placed a bit higher on the ladder for this inquiry than the rest. Still, she could sense that many headaches would be caused by the more 'special' hunters in this group in the very near future. She shook her head and put a hand on her hip, squinting at Aleister just beneath her hood as he greeted her so smugly. A parasite that considers himself of nobility, just like the other, though this one was openly mocking her for it.

"This one thinks it is capable of friendship. Quaint." she responds with just the smallest drip of ire to her tone. Soon she turns her attention to Witlock and grants her a genuine smile at those words. "Ah, it is an honor to have my skills noticed by a woman of your stature, Senior Inquisitor. Oui, I have heard many of your exploits as well. In fact, knowing that a fellow skilled woman like yourself could make a name in this field was one of many inspirations for me to take my future into my own hands, and for that I thank you."

"Ah, that will not be a problem, Inquisitor," Mariette responded to Valeria. "I sent a telegram ahead of my arrival to a friend of a business partner, including my measurements... the details are unimportant, but I should make clear that I am more equipped to travel than appearances suggest. A horse, changes of clothing, weapons and other such things should be awaiting me and my payment at the man's residence here. I simply need to pay him a visit before we set off. I am not much of a fighter, but I am experienced with the dark arts which may prove useful in a variety of ways, both to protect as well as to harm in a precise and calculated manner. If nothing else, however, I will gladly assist our night watch while most of you get your sleep.

"...While I am thinking of it," she added, "if any of the commoner members of this party require additional resources during the expedition, I am fully willing to provide assistance. While you all may suspect my motives, one can't deny that money is useful no matter from whom it comes."

Camille made another hostile comment, this time directed at Aleister, and Mariette avoided confronting her directly. Instead, while appearing bored instead of angry, she blandly remarked, "This one hosts the all-vampiric La Cigne croquet club on Wednesdays."

'This one?' Oh ho, this marquess will be delightful company. She wears her heart on her sleeve, Aleister thought with a wry grin. Such crass attitudes were not unfamiliar to him, but the hot-tempered nature and rudeness associated with such personalities were rather a bore. Except, of course, when you knew how to play with such a person. Then it became delightful. And dangerous.

In addition to Mariette's comment, Aleister had to stifle a laugh.

"The Marquess seems the type, I must admit. Sporting and accommodating. Rather impressive. I do not doubt her hospitality as a hostess is as warm as her smile," he teased. Indeed, this one would be entertaining to play with.

As the group returned to conversing among one another, Valeria moved towards the church doors. "I shall return in a moment. I have to speak to Father Bartley about a pressing matter." she stated, looking back to the others and Rosanna, whom was putting her head back on near the door. Rosanna gave her a simple thumbs up, before Valeria proceeded into the church.

-----

"I'm glad that you have arrived safely, child. I have news for you, though you are sure not to enjoy it." said Father Bartley, as Valeria strolled up the asile in the church nave. She removed her hat, as it is most respectful in the house of the Gods, holding it down at her side as she stepped up to where he was standing near the altar. "News is rarely good these days, Father." she replied, brushing her red hair out of her face. "Indeed...anyway, I must inform you that your fellow inquisitor Lenard Atkins was found dead along with two priests. All three were found drained of their blood entirely in a barn outside of Bromwich. It looked as though they were caught completely by surprise."

Valeria glanced aside. Atkins was one of the inquisitors that had assisted with a previous investigation a few months ago here on Grimtham. He assisted with the hunting and execution of a pair of vampires up near Tresomin. He was a good man, really, having also been trained by Father Weston. He was also one of the few inquisitors that did't outright hate the various creatures and entities that the Order hunted. "...We'll depart for Bromwich as soon as we are ready, Father. Any other news?" she replied, her blue eyes returning to focus on the priest.

"The plague outbreak in Porthcrawl has worsened. No one is allowed in or out of the city, unless they are members of the Church or Atracan military. As I said months ago, avoid the city unless you absolutely need to venture there." explained Bartley, as he dug into one of his inner coat pockets. "And as you might have saw, the support that the Church sent for you has arrived. Now, you'll need this." He then pulled out a rather old looking necklace with a blue gem fixed inside a brass frame. "Put this on, and keep it safe. You already know what it is." he said, offering it to Valeria.

She took it, examining it for a moment before slipping it around her neck and tucking it beneath her armor and shirt. "Indeed, I do." she said simply, before looking back to Bartley. "Good. Now, I just have to let him out of his cage..." said the man, walking past her towards the front of the church. She turned and followed him quietly, slipping her hat back on as they reached the doors.

The pair emerged out where the others were, walking past Rosanna towards the carriage covered in slips of paper and other markings. As they neared it, Valeria stopped where she was while Father Bartley continued over. He held up his hands, making an odd gesture with them that resembled the typical prayer motion. The ring fingers remained tucked, and the thumbs were crossed instead of pressing against one another. He walked slowly around the carriage, mumbling words here and there, before stopping near the door. When he released his hands, the paper slips fell off the carriage all at once. The words inscribed across its sides also faded into nothingness. The wards and enchantments had been removed.

Valeria then spoke. "As a member of the Vigilant, followers of Velin, and of the Divine Church, I summon thee, Ethraeil, into mine service. Come forth." she stated aloud.

Camille simply rolled her eyes at the teasing from the vampires, eyes fixed on Aleister despite both bloodsuckers being equally guilty. He wished to toy with her, but it was something she would allow for now. Overly eccentric and smug, these vampiric 'nobles', yet that gave them the perfect amount of hubris to be cured with a stake through the heart. In truth the hunter was in her element, and she soon chuckled to aloud, taking the compliment for what it was.

"Indeed, I am quite a fine hostess for any gathering. Though I do expect a certain amount of respect from my guests." she begins. "Far more respect than the innocent choir boys you've drained into monstrosities, surely." Camille continued with a calm and collected retort, smiling quite warmly.

Just then Valeria and the father approached, her attention moving to the strange ritual at hand. As she thought, another undead was passenger in there. Or perhaps even a 'friendly' demon? Wonderful.

For a moment after she finished speaking, there was a deafening silence. The carriage was still and lifeless and the atmosphere was devoid of sound. Then the door slowly opened, revealing the dark interior that seemed like an endless void of night. A chilling blue mist slowly creeped out and fell to the ground as a blue light appeared from inside. The sounds of movement within resonated throughout the area asthe light began to grow in intensity, approaching closer. An armored foot stepped out, revealing an unnatural figure of a time long past as it appeared. The air took an early winter chill as he exited and stood up, revealing itself in its full form. A frost lich, an ancient one at that, clad in the armor of the old days.

Ethraeil took a moment to slowly observe the people nearby, their auras to him gave way for most of them to be human. However he immediately noticed the aura of vampires and it almost seemed as his unnaturally blue eyes within his blue flaming skull gave off a look of disgust at them. As for the humans, his eyes showed no emotion nor thought He then stared directly into the eyes of the one who would call him forward. She was certainly human, making her considerably better than the vampires that were nearby.

"Yes, yes, I know the drill. At your service, mistress." he spoke with a rattling, cold voice that pierced the air, as if his very words were daggers of ice. As he spoke, he gave a semi-respectful bow with his bony hand on his chest towards Valeria.

"It is good to finally stretch my legs after being confined to books for this trip. My bones are positively aching." he continued, now cracking his fingers and stretching out his legs to their full extent. However, unlike his first words, these were laced with a dry humor.

Aleister kept his half-smirk on his face as Camille replied. Her disdain and contempt was unhealthy, but at least somewhat amusing. He had met her type before, and dealt with a few of them on occasion. Relentless, ruthless, uncompromising. All she lacked was fanaticism and zealotry, though perhaps that too would rear its ugly head in time.

"Choir boys, you say? Well, I am a priest, so I suppose you've caught me there, mademoiselle," he snickered, unfazed by the insult as he returned Camille's warm smile. "They are the most delectable after all."

In truth, his favorite targets to feed upon and, if possible, turn, were members of the Church. Fellow priests and nuns alike, so long as they weren't narrow minded and instead willing to expand their experiences, along with artists and other free spirits. Children, of course, were off-limits, though he knew of some vampires who took a remarkably foul liking to targeting such youths. There had been some private affairs in the past where he and some others had to excise such reckless vampires from their society, though some skirted that line and walked unharmed. Some argued feeding upon children was better than turning them, and others argued turning was better than feeding. It was one of the uglier aspects of their society. All had their preferences to drink from, so he tried not to judge too harshly, but there was an immorality to it he felt.

Aleister found his attention drawn to the return of Witlock and a priest from within the church, and the pair approached the curious wagon. When the aging priest made his gestures and quiet chanting, Aleister knew immediately that something was up. He rubbed one of his rings almost on instinct, a steel band with ruby studs, that bore tiny markings of Undite on it. He lent quiet support to the other priest with a short, silent prayer of his own.

The vampire watched the papers fall off the carriage, and he found his curiosity getting the best of him. Was this... a demon perhaps? What could they possibly have locked up to show off?

When the frost lich took a step out, he gasped quietly, his eyes lighting up at the appearance of this creature. In all his years of traveling... this was one of the most incredible things he had seen. Not only a lich, but clearly an ancient one. Truly, it was a once in a lifetime creature to witness, let alone work alongside. Aleister continued to rub his thumb against his ring of Undite as he observed the lich converse with the inquisitor.

"My, oh, my..."

Not quite a zealot and only slightly a fanatic, Camille and her family were raised to appreciate free enterprise over religious worship. Still her reasons for hunting were only slightly selfish, for she deeply cared for the safety of her people and wished to rid the world of these horrible creatures of the knight. Someone of her skill set would not sit idly by as they turned the world on its head.

The Escarian huntress frowned at Aleister's retort, though she had the majority of her attention focused on the lich that disembarked from his mobile prison. The vampires would inevitably get what was coming to them, and while she was cautious of the lich and the dullahan, they at least seemed more trustworthy. Vampires had a habit of masking their intent, scheming and conniving, it was fortunate that most spirits were direct with their tormenting. However Camille was quite unfamiliar with a lich, only knowing them to be supremely powerful undead. That is, powerful unless a certain inquisitor wore their phylactery around their neck.

"What a relic." she spoke with the slightest twinge of bewilderment. "I have not seen armor like that anywhere aside from museums and collections. And he spent those ages under the Church's boot heel? Tch, c'est la vie. Or the opposite, in this case." Camille mused.

Last edited:
"L...L-Leech?" stuttered Jakob, looking to Valeria with a confused expression. "Leech? I thought it was some sort of monstorus creature, not a talking skeleton." He stood close to Valeria with his arms folded, utterly bewildered by the being that stood before them. "Since he's a leech, does he drink blood like the vampires?" he asked, looking to Aleister.

Valeria cut a glance to Jakob. "Lich, dear boy. Not leech. Leeches are worms found in swamps that drink blood. A lich is a powerful undead entity, which often started out as a necromancer." she explained, motioning towards Ethraeil.

As Ethraeil continued to stretch, he took the time to observe his surroundings to determine where he was exactly. He wasn't exactly told anything by the Church when he was moved around to get here. The architecture was simple, but distinctly Atracan from what he noticed. His arrival by boat signified travel by the water, perhaps it was from the coast to another coastal city? Or was this an entirely new region?

"We are in Atraca, it seems." he remarked coolly, "Though this is not core provinces... no, no, too simple and poor for that... this hovel of a town is a further territory..."

He took a moment to deduce his guess. "Are we on Grimtham Isle, mistress?"

Galina crossed her arms and remained silent for a couple of minutes. When Valeria returned with Father Bartley, releasing the lich from its mobile prison, Galina approached the former two.

"Inquisitor. Father." Said Galina with a small bow. Bartley was already familiar with Galina as he had tasked her to investigate rumors or ghouls out in the slums.

"I am Duchess Galina Kholdova of House Kholda. Royal Tsavanian Hunter Brigade. At your service."
Galina paused and glanced over her shoulder at the others briefly.

"I must admit that this is the first time I meet a woman serving as an inquisitor- hopefully you'll make a better impression than your more arrogant male counterparts I've worked with in the past."

Valeria turned her attention back to Ethraeil. "Indeed we are. We're in Airedale on Grimtham Isle, specifically. You were brought here by members of the Church to assist me in an inquiry into the island. You were actually recommended by Father Weston. Whom you've worked with before, I believe, during the werewolf hunts in the highlands at the Tsavanian border." she explained, before glancing to Father Bartley as he approached from where he had been standing near the carriage. "I shall have horses and a larger carriage prepared for your group. Should be ready later today." he explained to her, before walking past and back inside the church.

As Galina addressed her, she looked over. "Most of the Order seems to have lost its civility over the years." she responded.

Valeria turned to face the others a moment later. "You all have a few hours to prepare yourselves, as we will begin our journey to Bromwich later today. I'll explain in detail the objective of this inquiry before we leave. We will be traveling during the day, so I suggest our vampires dress in clothes that cover the skin. I believe Aleister also knows a divine spell or two to nullify the burning effects of the sun, should you wish to use that instead. It doesn't completely stop the sun's effects on you, but it should scale things back from 'roasting alive' to 'painful sunburn.'" She then turned to face the church doors but paused before entering. "One last thing, stock up on silver. Cartridges, if you use a firearm, or blades. Grimtham is notorious for the number of werebeasts it has roaming the hills and forests to the north." she said finally, before stepping inside.

Rosanna stretched a bit, then looked about. "Well, I'm pretty much ready to go. Just gotta feed my horse. If you wanna talk to little ol' me afterwards, I'll be loungin' around in there somewhere." she said, before turning and heading towards her horse.

Galina simply nodded and relaxed her stance a bit. She travelled extremely light. "I'll collect my belongings then."

It didn't take long. Her inn was near the market. It wasn't anything special- a small common room with three rooms on the loft and a stable outside.

Once her two satchels were packed and coins left at the innkeeper's desk she grabbed her horse, Boris, from the stables and headed back to the church where she stopped next to Rosanna.

"Tsavanian cavalry breed. Good endurance. Strong muscles." She nodded towards Rosanna. "Atracan breed?"

Camille also chose to travel extremely lightly, namely the bare essentials and a spare outfit she carried in a large satchel slung over her shoulder. There was no use pretending that these hunts would be frivolous and regal, and the veteran hunter was keenly aware that she would expect conditions far worse than the boat. That said she at least had the excessive coin necessary to stay in the more lavish inns available, yet in the back of her mind she knew not to expect terribly much.

"A few hours? Hmmnh, well I was prepared to move out right now." she admitted with a slight frown. "Perhaps I may find some way to occupy my time here. And... is that carriage the only place those of us without horses shall travel in?" Camille asked, already detesting the thought of being in that lich's foul hotbox due to the Order being stringent with the inquiry's travel expenses. The fear of werebeasts was far beyond her, as both her quills and rapier were coated in silver.

Rosanna glanced over from where she was standing near the head of her horse, holding out something that the horse was munching on. "Eshaxian purebred war horse. Won 'em in a game of cards a few years ago. Goes by the name 'Rayham'. Man told me that it meant 'Favored by God' or somethin' in the Eshaxian language." she explained, gently petting the horse as it ate the food from her hand. "Pretty tough horse, from what I've seen. He plowed into a cluster of ghouls once. Stomped 'em all to death too."

She overheard Camille's comments nearby. "I think the preacher's gonna get ya a horse to ride. I imagine the lich and the two bloodsuckers are gonna ride in a larger carriage than that one." she said, motioning to the smaller one that Ethraeil had arrived in.

Galina smiled and nodded approvingly. "It's a good horse indeed. When the Tsars of old finally imported horses they mixed many strong breeds. Speed, endurance and dexterity are a must for us."
She tossed an apple to Rosanna before offering one to her own horse. "This is Boris. He's named after a soldier I served with during the war."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back