• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
"A pleasure to meet you, Rosanna," Mariette replied with a stiff posture. A proper noble, she made no effort to bow or shake hands, but the words sounded gracious nonetheless. Even if Rosanna stood half a foot taller than her, she did not allow herself to appear small. "I am aware of the Hunters and their work, but I've never personally encountered anyone of your ranks before." She then turned and listened to Camille's musings, and by the end of it, a slight smirk had crossed the countess's lips. "There are more of us out there," she said. "In time, I hope to introduce you to better examples of my kind."

Deep down, Mariette wished to pose more pointed questions, ones which would question the righteousness of the human cause to begin with, but she didn't want to disturb this fragile peace she had made with the notorious vampire slayer before her. In time, maybe she would be able to change the woman's way of thinking, but it would not be easy, not at all...

((Going to bed now.))

Galina nodded towards Rosanna and placed a fist over her heart. "Duchess Galina Kholdova of House Kholda. Royal Tsavanian Hunter Brigade."

She then glanced at Camille and Mariette, even grunting with an amused look on her face. "I see that the reputation of Escarian nobles were true; you are as pretty as you are petty."

"They have a good reason, mademoiselle." Theodore answered behind Galina "After all, one of Escaria's best features is the beauty of it's women. And as the will of the gods decrees, the noble ones are the fairest of them all."

He took a few steps forwards to not force Galina to turn away from the conversation she had with the others. His mask hid most of his face as he looked up to her due to his short stature, but his eyes were quite visible through the goggles. Giving off a friendly shine, in contrast to the rest of his gear giving a more menacing look.

"But I forget my manners. Theodore Boivin" He said as he slightly bowed graciously "Tutor at the St. Dupoint University of Advanced & Applied Philosophies in my free time and current member of the Vigilant order."

"Most of the inquisiton tend to lose the element of finesse when it comes to inquiries and general hunting. I was lucky to have been raised and trained by a far more cautious individual among the Order. Speaking of which, I should pen a letter to him as soon as things are settled at the church across the market. Come. I need to speak with Father Bartley and any others that have joined us on this inquiry." said Valeria, motioning with a hand for Aleister to follow. She turned and walked towards the exit of the gallery, rounding the wall from before. The constable was still outside, looking around with his lantern held at his side.

It was always an uneasy feeling to have a vampire traveling amongst a group of inquisitors. For both the vampire as well as the inquisitors themselves. One always thought the other could potentially kill them at any moment, so both were always on guard. Ready to turn around and put the other down for good. Hopefully Aleister was as the Church said he was, otherwise he wouldn't live to see another night. She'd burn him at dawn.

She stepped outside, Aleister following close behind, and looked to the constable. "Time to head back to Father Bartley, constable. I have another joining me on the hunt." The constable gave the vampire next to her an uneasy look, but nodded. "Aye, ma'am." he said, before leading the way back across the market towards the church.

Last edited:
Galina chuckled. "As it seems they are also too busy bickering among one another. Perhaps that too is a gift of the gods."

She then smiled and bowed her head towards Theodore. "A scholar? It is nice to meet a man such as yourself out here."

Galina extended her hand. "Duchess Galina Kholdova. Royal Tsavanian Hunter Brigade. My superiors sent me here on behalf of the exchange program between them and the Order."

A scholar? Theodore supposed he could pass as a proper one. His breast pocket had his notes pocking out of it as well as a small assortment of vials hanging from his belt right next to four or five of the bombs hanging right next to them.

"Ahh, they send professionals this time!" Theodore exclaimed "I suppose the Order managed to get on their back for long enough after the last exchange."

Rosanna cocked her head slightly at Galina's self introduction. "The Royal Tsavanian Hunter Brigade? Oh, I heard of your lot. Aren't y'all mostly rich military types?" she said, adjusting her hat a bit. "Also heard y'all use werebeasts to hunt with, too. Hope y'all don't let the packs get too big. Things get a bit crazy when that happens." She then made a motion with her hand, dragging her thumb across her neck.

Last edited:
The news that he'd be joining the inquiry surprised Jakob. Why would they need the assistance of an ordinary constable such as himself? While he was no stranger to the paranormal, he felt that the members of the Order and clergy were more than capable in dealing with the monstrosities that lurked beyond the city's borders. Perhaps what worried him more was the idea of not being able to see his wife and daughter for a while. But as usual, the good old soldier in him just nodded along and complied with his new orders. "Understood, Father. I'll speak with Inquisitor Witlock as soon as she arrives. If you need any assistance, I'll be right outside." he said, tipping his hat to the priest before turning and walking back through the church nave. Past the pews and back out the double doors at the entrance. He was a bit surprised by the gathering of people outside, but ignored them and returned to the carriage. There, he simply waited with his arms folded.

Galina smiled at Theodore. "The pleasure is mutual. From the looks of it you're a man of practicality- not worthless titles and delusions of grandeur."

She turned to Rosanna and nodded. "Our werebears are trained under strict disciplinary regimes. Those who volunteer to become one are often without family- they make the ultimate sacrifice in the name of the Tsar and are worthy of the utmost respect.

They served us well during the war."

Galina shifted her weight and sighed. "As for my colleagues we hail from all walks of life. Everyone who heeds the call are allowed to join but rigorous training await regardless."

Camille didn't appreciate how this woman talked as if she wasn't standing there, shooting her gaze from Mariette to a glare at the woman and her discussion. "Petty, you say? Mmnh, oui. I do suppose you could consider defending your country from undead posing as nobles as such, but I only focus on matters of grave importance." she defends. "No delusions of grandeur, just fact and proven worth through numerous victories. I imagine someone so familiar in war would understand a concept like that easily."

Bothersome, at the very least the vampire was pretending to be nice to her rather than acting so full of herself like this Tsavanian woman.

Erwin slowly lowered the grizzly trophy, but opted not to answer Rosannas comment.

None of this was to get the blood flowing. It wasn't a sport, it was just business. Low risk, high reward was his prefered method of payout. The werebeast in question had already sated its bloodlust when he came upon it in an alley, and shooting the fiend in the back as the abomination was incapacitated by the ahony of transformation made the kill easy to pull off.

Looking around at the party gathered, Erwin sneered beneath his collar. Noblemen and -women. Monsters of this world was something he hated with a murderous intent, but their kind he loathed. Grown out of riches and bored with a pampered lofe they sought fame and adventure among low common folk. I wished he could show them what it was like on the underside of their realm, a realm where the fellow man was the monster, and concepts such as sportsmanship, virtue and honor was about as steadfast as a maggot eaten trunk.

Among them were exceptions, of course. Even if he disagreed with Rosannas statements he viewed her scarcely as any noble. There was also the constable that guarded the carriage.

As he turned he could see Witlock approaching the church at a distance, accompanied by two additional men. He began walking towards the trio to meet them before they reached the party at large.

"Witlock" he said with a slightly raised voice as he chucked the severed head in front of her.
"There's your proof. I aint gone soft." He continued before briefly turning to the constable. "There's a bounty on that one, cobber. I'll come to collect later so write it down."

Last edited:
As Camille chided Galina, Mariette cast a bored-looking gaze in the Tsavanian's direction. "I suppose you must see some minute difference between yourself and your peers that entitles you to talk with such unprovoked disrespect, but I assure you, you are just like every human I've ever known. You, on the other hand," she said, addressing Theodore, "are like a breath of fresh air on this stagnant night."

Galina chuckled at Camille. "Perhaps your words bear truth- in time it will be proven. I assure you however that your hobby is nothing compared to real warfare."

She then cast a look towards Mariette. Galina's features visibly darkened. "Watch your tongue, vampire."
Galina faked a smile.

"Lest you'd like to have it cut off."

"Maybe I was wrong," Mariette replied, utterly unimpressed. "Perhaps you're even lower than the humans I've known."

"Good Gods..." if Jakob had to hear any more of these nobles complaining and bickering with each other, he'd explode. "Could you all knock it off?" he said while looking at the Galina "you are in front of the house of the Gods for goodness sake, if you have a grudge m'lady, keep it low" while he was not a religious person, he believed that the Church's are important buildings for the common people and thus deserved to be respected.

Camille stood perfectly straight, her eyes narrowing for just a moment before she rapidly broke apart her hands. She cared nothing for the constable's words, as her caliber as a hunter had just been insulted, and clearly this woman needed to be educated. In a single and swift series of motions she threw back her cape and produced a silver quill from a bandoleer on her right thigh, tossing it squarely between Galina's feet with a flash. The thin dagger impaled itself between two cobblestone tiles, and the Escarian noblewoman stared Galina down as she leveled a finger.

"Everything I do, I put all of myself into. There are no 'hobbies' or playful projects to busy my time with. Take caution when you insult my people or my work, I've killed men in duels for less." she warns, lowering her stance as her hands slowly drift back to her side. That piercing gaze remains just as intense, however.

Galina sneered at Mariette. Her right finger twitched and squeezed the trigger of a non-existent weapon.

She then turned towards Jakob and grunted. "Should've thought of that before inviting the impure creatures of the night," said Galina just a dagger lodged itself in the ground between her two feet.

Galina fell silent and stared at Camille. Her right hand moved the edge of her cloak aside, revealing a holstered revolver strapped to her leg.

"If anyone asks: it was self-defense."

"No need for threats and insults." Theodore interjected by stepping between them, acting on his old habit of breaking up student arguing with each other, his tone becoming somewhat strict "Her tongue might be of a nightstalker, but yours is of a hornet's sting." He said looking at Galina "Fast, a cause of pain, but a reason to swat aside with ire." He turned his gaze towards Camille and Mariette "I can only assume that both these women and yourself are dangerous, no? Would be stupid to draw battle lines between each other before this mission has even begun." The outburst from Jakob didn't help matters, causing him to turn around "Sir, please. This is in the process of being settled." Finally to Camille "For you my lady, I can only give the advice I gave to your cousin. Don't be quick to throw a gauntlet at every opportunity. Locals don't appreciate cleaning the corpse of another dead lordling." A few moment passed and Theodore stepped back to where he was just a moment ago hoping they would listen to reason.

"I also thank you for the compliment, madam." Theodore focused on Mariette, albeit his expression behind the goggles showing less of the friendliness from earlier, replaced a colder look. "I do admit, I'm not used to working with your kind. It is quite rare to see a member of it to choose to aid us. I do hope this partnership lasts however. Creates opportunities."

A sudden bang resonated from the carriage, as if whatever was inside also shared the sentiment of annoyance from Jakob and had slammed a hand within its interior. The carriage rattled for a bit before going quiet once more.

Theodore momentarily looked to the carriage, then he recognized the marking on it. He was slightly concerned, but brushed it off for now. Returning to the more pressing situation.

Jakob let out a frustrated groan as he pulled his billy club in his own attempt to maintain the peace, lucky for him, Theodore stepped in to calm both women. He nodded at the small creature while putting his billy club back in its place. But before he could even get back to guarding the carriage, the sudden bang made Jakob jump while pulling out his side arm and letting out a surprised "What the?!" he looked at the carriage with a worried stare before turning around to face everyone.

Camille merely sucked her teeth at Galina showing off her firearm, stepping forward as the others were being lectured and moving past Theodore. Of course the woman prided herself on firearms, quite typical. When one lacked physical dexterity or ability they would make up for it with such loud and unpleasant machinery, taking an easy victory assisted by a tool to be something of merit. She crouched down and retrieved her throwing blade, holstering it back with the set of others.

"The advice is appreciated, but I can take care of myself." she spits back, strutting to the place she had been before. "We are to work together, and I am certain we can turn our efforts to a common goal when necessary. But I am not exactly here to make friends."

The bang from the carriage does not get the woman to jump, but she does squint at it with the same scrutiny she has been giving to her peers. "Seems like our locked away guest tires of these formalities. I must admit I agree with them."

Last edited:
Aleister nodded to the inquisitor, watching his surroundings as he stepped outside to ensure this was not an elaborate trap. Seeing only the pudgy little constable, he felt satisfied things were looking fine.

"Your mentor sounds like an extraordinary man. Fortunate for all of us that he seemed to value decency. A trait lost to many in this world, I'm afraid," he lamented as he walked carefully alongside the inquisitor, keeping the constable in sight to use as a body shield or hostage if need be. Likely expendable, but Witlock seemed to be compassionate enough to hesitate in the face of a comrade becoming a casualty rather than shooting or staking through the man to get to Aleister.

He could see a gathering outside of the church as they carried on, and his breath caught in his throat as he vaguely sensed another vampire at this distance, and perhaps something else mixed in with the crowd. As they got closer, he could see their attire and the sounds of an apparent argument was dying down. He sighed.

My gods. I've joined the circus.

A burly, dangerous looking man who looked more swashbuckler than Church professional accosted them before they made it to the main party, and the man tossed a severed werebeast head onto the cobbled ground before the inquisitor. Aleister idly watched the man and the inquisitor, cocking a brow. He watched those nearest him out of necessity, but his interest remained on the group further ahead.

Rosanna simply sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose between her eyes with her fingers. She was no stranger to people bickering amongst one another, but this was ridiculous. Luckily Theodore stepped in and attempted to calm things down before they got too out of hand. Then came the noise from the carriage. Rosanna already knew something was in there. She could feel its presence from where she was standing at the door. The question was what exactly was it?

"Don't panic. That carriage is shut tighter than a tick's ass." she said, examining the carriage as Jakob let out a yelp. She then returned her attention to the others in the group. It was probably best to get things out in the open now instead of waiting till later, considering how the others had reacted to Mariette's 'condition'. "I've got a bit of a condition of my own, really. Y'all should probably know before we set out on this inquiry thing Witlock is leading." She then reached up and gently placed her hands on the side of her head, and lifted straight up. Just as she had done before with Witlock and the constable.

Her head seperated at the neck, as the thick grey smoke from before started to plume and waver away from the dark hole in her neck. Her eyes changed again, shifting from their human green to the blackest of black. "Dunno how much you folks know about dullahans, but yeah. I am one." she said, the echo in her voice giving it a rather strange sound.

-----

As Valeria, Aleister, and the constable neared where the group was, they were met by a man in a high collared coat and a rough looking hat. Carrying what appeared to be a werebeast head. She instantly recognized his voice. "It has been a while, Erwin. Good to see that the life of a rogue hasn't slowed you down." she commented, as the constable stepped over and examined the head. Eventually, the constable picked the head up by what was left of its hair and nodded. "Aye, this one's got a bounty on it...I'll take it to the station. Inquisitor, will you be alright to head back to the church alone with the vampire?" said the husky man.

Valeria cut him a look. What could the constable even do if the vampire were to bear hostile intent? He'd die in the blink of an eye. "Indeed. I shall be fine. Go about your duties, constable." she responded, motioning him away with her hand. A moment later, the constable waddled away into the fog with the werebeast head. Valeria then turned her attention back to Erwin. "If you wish for more coin, the Church has a job you might be interested in. Follow me." she stated simply, before walking past Erwin with Aleister in tow.

Eventually, the group reached the church where the others were. Rosanna had removed her head again, likely showing the others what she actually was. It also appeared that the female vampire had arrived along with several others and a carriage modified by the Church. That must be the lich. "Greetings, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Valeria Witlock, Senior Inquisitor of the Vigilant Order." she stated, stepping up.

"Ah, so you are the headless horseman." Theodore could only react to Rosanna detaching her head right in front of him. The expedition was already promising for new horizons and so far it was living up to just as well as he expected it. Now if only his other suspicion on who is inside the carriage was true, then things would really get interesting. "Or I should say, horsewomman?"

He didn't wait for an answer as the inquisitor announced her presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back