• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Henry gave a polite nod to Camille, but managed a hopeful grin when Jakob responded. "Aye, 'hats right, sir. Good folks 're work'n their fingers to the bone, yeah? All thats being asked is a lil' more pay, and bettah conditions, yeah? Thank you, sah." His accent become progressively thicker as he spoke - likely more comfortable with this lot.

Aleister was enjoying the music that the small band was putting on, and was surprised to see that Jakob had a flare for performance when he went up there. He thought he would join, but he launched into a fair performance with his harmonica. It was a bit more of a common man's instrument - Aleister preferred the piano and violin himself - but it was nonetheless rather enjoyable.

He glanced between Camille and Mariette, a wry little smirk appearing. He didn't think Mariette would want to dance to such a rustic noise, nor Camille for that matter, but perhaps a little teasing would amuse the huntress. At least, it would amuse him.

"Marquess, dear, care for a slow dance?" It was posed partly as a joke to cover himself if she truly got irritated by it, but it was a legitimate enough question.

As Sergey arrived with the rest of the team at the inn, he stayed downstairs slowly drinking on a couple pints as he pondered deep in his mind. The rest of them by then were either out, or asleep. He continued to drink and think. About the past couple days...the adventure, the people he was with. Was this what he really wanted? With a sigh, he got up and left a couple of coin up on the bar and walked out into the cold night, his breath smoking out in the wind. He walked over to where his horse was tied up, and got on. He slowly turned him around, and trotted further and further down the street and eventually out of town... remembering days long gone in Tsavania.

((Gotta say my goodbye :( Work has me completely eaten up my time. I get home around 7 PM and have just time to eat and a lil relaxation. Sadly, that's Starpath to me more than this. Sergey had a good run...and a couple good kills. Sorry yall."

Camille looked to Aleister, giving him a rather dead-pan stare with just how bold he was being to make such an offer. Squinting at the vampire, her seat and position shifted subtly as if she was about to go on a tirade or tantrum. He had the gall to make such a ridiculous, absurd offer to her when she was in a place as terrible as this?! The marquess stood up from her seat, pushing the stool out from under her before swiveling and looking to the vampire dandy, hands on her hips.

"Certainly." she said calmly, even putting on a slight smirk. While she was far more prone to dueling than dancing, it had been too long since she had something leisurely to take her mind off of the work ahead of them. Perhaps this was her chance to actually make the situation right, unless the Countess felt the desire to actually hover over them during this private moment. "Though if you so much as scuff my boots I am kicking you across the room."

Last edited:
Aleister stared back at Camille with some visible, genuine surprise. He had not truly expected the woman to take up his offer that was partly in jest. Still, with a grin, he takes her hand - carefully - and heads out to the main floor by the stage.

"Well, well... how unexpected. I didn't realize you'd grant a pitiful parasite like me with a dance so easily. And don't worry, madam, I am an expert in all things as magnificent as dance. Jakob?" He said, glancing over at the stage, "Give us a good one."

The sleepy, sentimental tune Jakob played helped Mariette relax. It wasn't the sort of music she was used to. Typically, in La Cygne, she would go out in the late evening if there was a performance being held in the local performance hall. The common citizens knew who the Countess was and wouldn't panic at her sight, but they still gave her plenty of personal space. She thought of what wonderful performances she'd be able to hear, now that she appeared as she once did. It was so, so long ago. The symphonies at Vinmont were of international repute, and despite her great wealth, it was something that was simply out of her reach until now.

She had been savoring the last of her drink quietly, and had just finished when Aleister made the daft move of asking Camille to dance with him. Unbelievably, Camille agreed to it, and Mariette gave a dumbfounded half-smile. She was vaguely aware that Aleister was somehow getting along with Camille, but would never have guessed they had made so much progress together that the human would willingly agree to his company on the floor. She looked away to avoid staring, but her half-smile became a full, genuine smile. She had long since given up hope of seeing the Marquess lower her guard like this, but now for a fleeting moment it seemed that there was some microscopic chance that the huntress wasn't as heartless as she seemed. She thought of her calling in life to create a homeland for the night people, and imagined for a moment the possibility that the humans wouldn't try to burn it and every vampire within it to the ground for daring to live free. Maybe an understanding was possible, after all. She tempered herself. She had been disappointed many times before, and told herself that perhaps she simply didn't understand the situation between the Marquess and the priest.

Whatever the case, she was sure not to interfere. At least not for now.

Soon to be alone at the bar, Mariette stood and approached Henry. "Monsieur," she greeted him, "despite what my friend said a moment ago, not all of us wealthy sorts are so black-hearted that we can't see the suffering of the working class. What you said about the little girl disturbs me. Now, I'm not from this country and I unfortunately can't render any direct influence on the situation, but I can offer a monetary contribution to your cause," she explained. She checked on her supply of gold and found that she had roughly what this man would make in a week of labor, and felt it was an appropriate donation for someone of her stature. "Can I trust you to handle this?" she asked as she discreetly showed him the stack of pure gold coins. Henry's eyes lit up, and he nodded. The exchange was made quietly while the man thanked her.

Now, without any more money for expensive drinks, Mariette looked over the scene and felt that it was time to depart. She gave Jakob a smile and wave from across the room before turning to the door, just to let him know that she hadn't been offended by his earlier comment. Once she had exited the building and returned to the street outside, she wasn't quite sure what to do next aside from return to the inn and figure out how to get her money case open after breaking off the end of the key the previous night. Just before leaving, however, she had an idea. Stepping around the corner but not getting far from the entrance, she could still sense the auras of all the patrons inside. She took out her grimoire and flipped it open, checking through its array of illusion spells for something just right for the occasion. Mariette was adept at manipulating the senses of others, spreading fear, creating delusions, and so on, but it was almost always in the interest of harming others.

...But perhaps she could play a different sort of trick this time. She could see Camille dancing with Aleister. I've never played the role of cupid before... she mused with a silent chuckle.

Jakob was happy to see that most of the patrons of the den were actually enjoying his little solo. Once done, he made a playful little bow as the patrons smiled and some even applauded his performance. Jakob noticed that Mariette was actually leaving the building, but before doing so, she waved at him with a friendly smile on her face. Jakob waved back at her before turning his attention to Aleister, who was standing in the middle of the den with Camille at his side. I'll be damned. Jakob didn't expect this at all, but he couldn't help but to smile at both of them.

"Sure thing Al!" Jakob then looked at Reginald and his band, a thought crossed his mind. "You fellows know of 'Redgorge Valley'?" and much to Jakobs pleasant surprise, the men nodded, saying it was the only song from the Old South that had reached this little corner of Atraca. "Then come y'all, lets warm this place up." Jakob looked at Aleister and gave him a friendly wink before playing the song along Reginald and his band.

The hesitation in both her posture and stance was palpable as the huntress began to take Aleister's hand, slowly stepping toward the stage as she took up a rather reserved stance. One of Camille's hands rested just below his shoulder while the other still held on to his hand, a good amount of distance between one another to have them perform a bit of an impromptu waltz. It was one of the simpler dances used in ballrooms, so she had assumed that someone so supposedly high-class as the vampire would be right at home. On top of that, the slow and gentle melody of the band allowed for her to relax more than work terribly hard on the movements. Yet of course this dance wasn't all for leisure, and she didn't want Aleister to get the wrong idea else she'd never live it down.

When Mariette had made her exit, Camille did not even notice. It was for the best, as she would have immediately broken her hold on him since the vampress was preventing her from actually having a proper conversation with the priest. The ignorance of that fact allowed her to hold the tenderness of the moment, for better or for worse. "I didn't come here to catch you eating hearts." she starts, her voice low and quiet as they sway slowly throughout the dive. "The bite from Wallace. It means a great deal to me that you didn't let it be my end, and the thanks I gave you came from a place of disappointment rather than being entirely genuine."

"With what I've said and how I've treated you in the past, you had every reason to let me either die or become some kind of monster. And frankly, I would much rather be dead than a feral mongrel. But... I am neither in this moment, and I have you to thank for it. So thank you, truly..."

Last edited:
Galina ate her meal in silence. She returned Valeria's wave with a nod as the inquisitor took to the streets.

When Sergey arrived the two of them spoke briefly. It was clear that the past days had taken a toll on the doctor and as such it was no surprise to her when Sergey told Galina that he was leaving.

Galina wished him well, gave him some coin for the road and watched the doctor step out from the inn.

After a few minutes Galina paid for her drinks and departed as well. She would need to find Valeria and inform her.

Stepping outside Galina remembered the words of Sasha. Perhaps she had already gained new powers?

Closing her eyes Galina focused on a mental image of Valeria. With any luck she might be able to locate Witlock?

Mariette = 6. Chance Roll: Successful.
Soon enough, Mariette found a suitable spell in the grimoire that Undite had given her. It seemed that the vampiric goddess had a spell for quite literally everything written down, a testament to her knowledge of the arts, though it seemed the most powerful spells required a special staff of some sort. Thankfully, this one did not require said staff, but did require two targets. Mariette quietly whispered the proper incantations, weaving the spell and casting it upon Aleister and Camille. Aleister's charms granted a bit of resistance to the spell, dampening it partially.

-----------------------------------------------------

Galina = 5. Chance Roll: Successful.
As Galina focused, her eyes shut tight and focusing on a mental image of Valeria, she began to see...something. A building began to form in her mind, slowly but surely. As if it were being constructed by an unseen force. Eventually, she could see that it was a general store, with an armorer's shop attached to the side. Valeria had entered the store. And she began to feel that the shop was close by, just down the street from the in. Sasha was telling the truth. She was slowly gaining the powers of a banshee. Only time would grant her access to the other powers.

Valeria glanced over to the shop clerk, whom was tending to something behind the counter, before looking back to Wesley. "Wesley...what the hell are you..." she said, stepping over before finally stopping next to him. "I should kill you right now, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You and I are going to have a chat. If I don't like what you have to say, you won't be leaving this island alive." she whispered, her eyes narrowed. "Meet me behind the inn up the street from here in an hour." She then turned back around, and walked back over to the ammunition. She grabbed a box of shotgun shells and a box of revolver cartridges, before quickly moving over to where the clerk was.

...Rose.
...What?
...Do you know what you are?
...I'm...
...You're a killer.
...a killer...
...Why fight what you are?
...Why fight...
...Just embrace it. You were born to kill.
...Embrace...it...
...Give in to it. Do what you were made to do.
...No. I won't! I'm not givin' in!

The chains began to writhe and jingle, as Rosanna struggled to break out of them. Her eyes had shifted to their dullahan black, as she glared at the two witches before her. One of the twins sighed, before looking to the other. "This will take a while." she said, before the other looked over. "Yes...we should rest for now. Let her tire herself out before we try again." The twins then stood, giving Rosanna one last look, before strolling out of the abandoned barracks. Rosanna continued to struggle, before eventually settling down as the witches left the room. She sat down, staring down at the floor. Wet spots began to appear, as tears dripped from her chin.

Last edited:
Aleister gently swayed and twirled with Camille as the music went on, played passionately by Jakob and the accompanying band of vampires and friendly patrons. It was not a difficult routine at all, given the movement of the music and the extent of the room there was to move about. The floor was more open now, but Aleister couldn't imagine how cramped things would be with even a handful of couples on the floor.

If the dance was surprising enough for him, the heartfelt words she put forth were another near startling occurrence. It didn't show on his face - in fact, he was smiling as he moved with her - but within him he found himself seeing her in another light, it seemed. The feeling was rather sudden, though perhaps he had always felt that she was not as closed off as she seemed. And if she was, maybe she simply needed these experiences to open up.

"I appreciate your candor and tenderness, madamoiselle. Regardless of any... disagreements... any perhaps ill thoughts... I would not let you perish if I have the chance to stop it. Even beyond the simple duty of my station. While I do not think that, had you contracted lycanthropy, or even vampirism, that it would be the end of your world - certainly I do not think it would make you any less of a person - I understand that you would much rather stay as you are. And for good reason, as you are already a fine woman in your own regard, if perhaps not a bit... passionate in your methods and thoughts?" He says with a little chuckle. "Of course, any person of true value will always be a soul of passion that clings to its ways with conviction."

The huntress' ire slowly melted as the moment grew more intimate, even if that hadn't been her intention from the start. Yet putting herself out there wasn't exactly the worst thing in the world, as opening herself up in this way was doing wonders for her mood. Any irritation from her expression was slowly melting, and that smirk on Camille's face grew just a bit warmer. It was charming the way he danced, in a sense, and it was reaching the point where she was forgetting that she was talking to a vampire.

His words prompt a slow nod from her, her gaze getting just a bit more wistful as she looks into his eyes. "As I told you back then, I do believe you to be a good man. Just a victim of unfortunate circumstance... When I think of what will become of you years after I or even countless others perish, what you might do... I feel terrible." She begins to look much more somber as she focuses on that fact, only to shake her head and get right back to that smirk, their dance continuing on. "I have my reasons for feeling the ways I do, yet you continue to carry yourself in spite of everything I believe of you. It's... both infuriating as it is admirable."

Unlike her earlier spell against Theodore, Mariette somehow felt confident that she had affected the psyche of Aleister and Camille, even if it was only a subtle difference. She snickered, hoping it would leave a lingering impression on the huntress, even after the spell itself had worn of. I can't be in love with a parasite! Mariette imagined in Camille's voice. If I let my guard down even for a moment, I'll break out in hives!

She chuckled aloud, turning up the street. As she walked toward the hotel, however, she began to think of Rosanna. She still hadn't turned up, which dampened her mood. Perhaps we ought to assemble a search party, she wondered. Then, from a distance, she spotted Galina and decided to follow her.

She could see it. The building. As she opened her eyes Galina looked around, spotting the store from afar. Looked just as it had appeared within her mind.

Intrigued, Galina approached the structure unaware of her friendly shadow. Gently she opened the door and stepped inside. Almost immediately she spotted Valeria.

"Witlock. I need to speak with you. It's about Sergey," said Galina as she pushed past some tool with a hood to reach Valeria.

Aleister held her gaze as he continued the slow waltz with her across the floor, finding the atmosphere just as delightful as if he had been dancing in the marbled and granite halls of a noble with a full orchestral accompaniment. A den such as this, with Jakob in the band, made the scene markedly... cozy.

"What you may see as an unfortunate circumstance, I see as a blessing from misery. I do not deny that many of my kind may behave most inappropriately, but do not forget about the countless other good people who live their lives righteously - take this place and the patrons, for example. I sympathize with your concerns on what may become of me, or any vampire, but the same can be said for any human. I think you know that. You may say a vampire has more opportunities and abilities to do bad - does the same not apply to the noble lord compared to the peasant bandit?"

His own smile was equally somber as it was warm. "Long life may be seen to you as a span of time for one to commit a lot of wrong... but imagine how much good could be done, too. I have changed some in my life, we all do, but I remain true to my heart, and I think I always shall. Righteousness... integrity... faith... these are concepts as unchanging as the sun and the moon which provide us both with warmth and darkness, mademoiselle. If I stand as a figure to you who goes against what you believe vampires to be... perhaps, then, there are others like me?"

Aleister cherished the warmth of her hand, but he knew, regretfully, that all she would feel back was the pale chill of undeath from his own.

Valeria glanced over as Galina approached, her eyes widening and a finger coming to her lips as Galina spoke Valeria's last name. "Its Wilson, dear. Anyway, what about the good doctor? Is he alright?" she said, pushing for Galina to use their aliases. She then glanced over her shoulder at Wesley behind them, whom had returned to looking through the clothing that the store had on display. "By the way, our...friend...is over there. Try not to cause a scene." she stated, before setting a few coins on the counter to pay for the boxes of ammunition that she had retrieved from the shelves.

Approaching the general store, Mariette had hardly noticed the vampiric aura within, but as she focused harder upon it and the others present, she felt the familiarity of Valeria inside, along with... Wesley!? Mariette's eyes went wide as she snatched up her grimoire as a precaution. She didn't have her pistol with her, but with the two Inquisitors present, she felt that it would be unnecessary. Instead, she cut around the side of the building, checking for additional entrances through which an ambush might come or through which Wesley might try to escape. Confident that she had properly scoped the surroundings, she picked a path which would be unseen to passers by, behind the building, and scaled the wall to the roof effortlessly. There, she would be able to keep watch and use her magic, or, if necessary, pounce on the enemy. Inside the building, Wesley would feel the presence of an unfamiliar pureblood bearing down on him.

Wesley was looking over to some clothes that he was picking out, his usual outfit was just composed of some regular clothes worn over a short duster that would keep him warm. while picking out his options, he noticed a faint noise of someone calling his name out. once he turned his head towards it. a short feeling of relief and a inching feeling of panic started.

Just a few feet away from him, was Valeria Witlock.

He could have sworn that the pupils in his eyelids had shrunk in fear. knowing that Valeria has seen the new changes to his eyes, she was already determined to see him as a traitor. when the shopkeeper turned his attention away from them, Valeria made his way towards him and whispered to him

"Wesley...what the hell are you..." she said, stepping over before finally stopping next to him. "I should kill you right now, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You and I are going to have a chat. If I don't like what you have to say, you won't be leaving this island alive."

He gulped. before he can explain himself briefly. Valeria told him to meet her behind the inn in about an hour and steps away from him. Wesley merely sigh as he continues to browse for the clothes that he needed and maybe some new weapons if he can. however. before he can finalize on it. A new person entered the store and Wesley was pushed from behind as the person passed by. Wesley turned around to see who this annoying culprit is before regretting his decision and turning back to what he was currently doing before he was noticed.

It was Galina Kholdova

"Oh for the love of.. out of everyone else in the inquiry. it had to be one of my closest companions!?"
Wesley thought. nevertheless, Wesley kept himself calm as he finally picked out an outfit for him. he also bought a rapier earlier in the armorer's shop so that he can train himself to fight in close combat using both a rapier and a dagger. he then felt a slight change of aura around him. something powerful is on top of the building that he was currently in. It sure as Oblivion that it's not Cassandra's when she's still back at the hideout. and knowing there is only two people in the Inquiry who has that powerful enough aura. and since Rosanna is still back in the hideout. that would mean...

Mariette is here.

Last edited:
Camille's leather glove unfortunately absorbed a good majority of the warmth projecting off of the dainty appendage he caressed. Even still, the vampire was able to feel the slightest amount of heat from her hand, simply due to the void of life that he had chosen to become. The moral quandary he consistently presented to her washed over her in the tender moment, her gaze somewhat unfocused as they worked on swaying and swinging lazily to the music around them. Was he trying to charm her earlier as well? For once the marquess found herself far more flattered than angry, and that left her speechless for a time.

"Humans are limited by just how frail we are when it comes to the evils they can commit." she explains, shaking her head in disagreement. "No one is born evil, circumstances and upbringing change that. Every vampire or monster I've killed was slain believing that the horrors they were doing were just. The noble lord can be taken sooner by disease or age than a good vampire to ruminate on everything that has affected them and their impossibly long life."

The huntress seemed to grow a bit stiffer in her movements, trying to put into words just how she felt about all of this. "Maybe there are others like you, Aleister, but time is the one thing more powerful than the gods. Given enough time, anything and everything shall see change. Even I wish to leave behind a legacy to immortalize myself in some way, yet time will change either it or how it is viewed. As it stands now, you and these other vampires do not wish to endanger my country, so I can turn my head this once. Even if it pains me to do it."

Aleister's calm face is accompanied by a light, polite laugh. "Perhaps a lord can take to death sooner than a vampire, but some of the worst foes known to the historian's quill were merely young men, inexplicably drawn to the wonders of the sword and torch. How many wars have been started and conducted by vampires, may I ask? Precious few compared to the tumultuous history of humankind."

"Time may be a concept beyond even the gods, yet not all is subject to being washed beneath these ethereal waves, mademoiselle. Morning will always be met with the rising sun. The waves of the sea will always crash upon the shore. The songbird will sing its lullaby. Nature is a constant itself. Even man falls under this lofty purview. The heart and soul will always be drawn to what it loves. That is what it means to be born human, I think. You may find the wicked hold no love, but that is not true. The desire of their heart is simply a love that we cannot stand to bare, for it is cruel and twisted, but it is a love to them nonetheless. Constants exist, mademoiselle, and the souls of the righteous are not easily swayed to so dark of a path that you envision lay in wait for us."

He remained easy and fluid in his movements, matching her pace. "And even if all shall be brought low by change at some point, is that any reason to condemn those yet untouched who continue to smile and live peacefully with this world? The dreadful capacity for evil may be a seed in all of us, but for most, it does not sprout. If you are so concerned with possibilities... do we not all deserve to perish to ensure the root of any evil cannot grow?"

To talk on such things was seeming to throw a snag in their relaxed dance, and it was funny how the vampire would take the opportunity to try and educate her on morals when she already went so far to apologize to him already. While it was leaving a bad taste in her mouth, she continued to humor this slow dance for a reason she could not place. Perhaps she was just feeling extremely patient tonight, or maybe Aleister was just that good of a dancer.

"You seem to be forgetting that vampires were human once, monsieur." she states, continuing her pace all the same. "For all of humanity's shortcomings, we are still bound by our natural limitations. While we all have capacity to do a great deal of terrible things, mortality can and will catch up to us in the end. If a vampire were to lay low enough, they could expose themselves to all manner of reasons to do wrong. Or as you said, find their loves and passions twisted for wrongdoing."

"I believe one innocent life taken by any vampire that I could have otherwise slain is too many, and be it from me encountering five days ago to five hundred years ago, it would still be too soon of a loss. Vampires gain immortality at the cost of their sense, of what limits them and makes life worth living. I fight and live each day as if it may be my last, yet certain company can completely lose their head and have it reattached in moments."

Last edited:
There was little more Aleister felt he could say, for he knew that despite the mild mood Camille was in, it did not seem that she would look to any reason regardless of how much he urged her to. A certain charm still remained about her person, but he couldn't find it much more than that as they continued the dance until, finally, the song ended.

He gave a short smile and a little bow, taking only a little step backwards as he did so. "The dance was delightful, Marquess, and I only regret we couldn't have had the pleasure of doing so earlier."

Surprisingly she returned the bow with a smirk of her own, her hands moving to her hips as the music fades and she stands across from them. "Yes, it wasn't exactly terrible for me, either. Thank you for hearing what I had to say." she states, feeling somewhat awkward and almost unsure of if she wanted to stop dancing right now.

Looking about the bar for the first time in a long while, she saw that the countess was gone and felt a wave of relief wash over her. Now her mood was greatly improved from where it had been previously. "Any opportunity we had to dance before was ruined by several gun barrels being pointed at us." Camille recalls. "So I suppose there is not much to regret."

Oh, I forgot we were using aliases. "I beg your pardon." When Valeria spoke of a friend Galina spun around. She looked back at the person she had pushed past and widened her eyes. Wesley!?

Galina sprinted over to him and embraced him in a hug while laughing. "Wesley? Is that really you? Where have you been?"

Soon enough however Galina's features turned cold. Her eyes narrowed and she took a step back. Something was different.

"Are you...different?"

After purchasing her ammunition, Valeria stepped back over next to where Wesley was. She leaned in to Galina, and whispered. "Jakob found out earlier via an angel that Wesley here was turned by Cassandra and has since been in a romantic relationship with her...I told Wesley to meet me in an hour behind the inn to explain himself." she said, glancing to Wesley before departing towards the door and out it. Once outside in the street, she looked over the ammunition boxes in her hand. Now, they'd need to find a good dry goods shop around here...as the general store seemed to have a limited selection of goods.

Wesley merely had his eyes closed when he felt Galina hug her tightly. he was glad that she was okay, seems like she escaped just fine. unfortunately for him. he felt regret and pain when Galina started to pull away from him.

"Are you...different?"

"No.. I'm still the Wesley you have fought alongside with. although. I made a few mistakes back in the Manor." He then opened his eyes, revealing the new blood-red hue of his Irises. "Forgive me Galina. I'll tell you the full story once we get out of here."

Jakob found out earlier via an angel that Wesley here was turned by Cassandra and has since been in a romantic relationship with her...I told Wesley to meet me in an hour behind the inn to explain himself."

"A onesided relationship.. My loyalty still lies with with the Inquiry, Miss Wilson. As soon as we get to the inn, The better." once Valeria was done buying her items and then going outside. Wesley brought over a pair of clothes that he picked and settled them down onto the counter. He focused back towards Galina. who's expression is still hidden away from by her hair covering her face. He made his way towards her and placed his hand on one of her shoulders and spoke in a soft tone. as to not let anyone hear it besides him and her

"I really am sorry... I tried coming to your aid when Cassandra shot you with that rifle and nearly captured you... my anger got the best of me.."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back