• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
The huntress awoke in a stiff yet somewhat-rested position, unable to tell how long she had been asleep. With a quiet huff she sat herself up on her bed and stretched, soon looking down to see her rapier just where she left it. Staring at it for some time, the one thing she took away from Velin was the fact that she was strong enough to carry out what needed to be done. It was difficult to tell if those were words of encouragement or empty assurances from an apathetic goddess, yet to Camille it did not matter. That goddess was mortal once, and she found many ways to best her opponents with sword and strategy alone. The Escarian conducted herself a good degree better, and she wasn't so thoroughly clouded by zealotry. From where she was standing, she felt that she had an even better chance than the goddess did those years ago.

Standing up she began to dress herself, removing her night gown and starting to dress herself in her spare hunting outfit. Slipping on her pants and boots, the rest flowed and followed forth easily and before long she was in her hooded cloak yet again. That rapier and her quills were affixed to her sides as she moved through the threshold of her room and out into the inn, starting to leave it so that she may find leads or information to aid the inquiry. While she had much to think about for her plan of action, she still needed to be productive. For a time she floated about the outside of the inn, using the alias Francine Dubois since the others deemed it necessary. The huntress did little else to conceal her identity, and her reputation may end up getting the better of her in this instance, but she was ready for anything.

The sun was out. It was shining too bright for him in his office, preventing him from reading as the rays tore at his eyes. Theodore got up from his seat and went to close the blinds on the windows. It had been a slow day after the lectures. Most students were gone and only a few bothered to come by for consultation today. Didn't bother him much. Allowed him to catch up on what he was reading. Flipping through the book, he began to cough slightly. After a few dry coughs it went away, leaving only a small momentary pain in the chest. Battle scars of a fight with tuberculosis. Likely would have brought his own end and that of Serena, if it hadn't been for the timely intervention of Francois. It was an experimental treatment as he had warned them both numerous times over, but they both decided the risk was worth it. They would either live together or die together. If their death would serve a higher cause, then so be it.

Lucky for them, it had worked. In just two weeks of the treatment the symptoms began to subside in him. For her, it took longer. 'Possible difference between men and women?' Francois half joked about it. At the time he didn't find it funny. But his friend had good intentions. Eventually Serena would recover. Her lively spirit returning to her. He could not be more happy had he tried. After a month they were both cleared, but Francois wanted for them to check with him just in case for side effects that may have arisen. For Theodore, nothing came up to cause concern outside of a few minor coughs here and there, but Serena had checked in for pains every now and then.

Now he was again coughing up something much to his annoyance. As it subsided, he heard a knock on his office. "Yes? Come in." As by demand they came in. Theodore recognized them instantly as he rose from his seat. Holy men of the order. Inquisitors.

"Professor Theodore? I'm inquisitor Olivier Boutin and these are two are my associates." The sharp eyes looked like they pieced right through Theodore as the man spoke "We were passing through on another assignment and heard rumors that caught our attention. Some students have gone missing and we have reason to believe it may involve some foul play."

"Do you have a reason to believe that, monsieur?" Theodore could only raise an eyebrow to this. Some students were indeed reported to miss out on classes, but it was normal to chalk it up to someone being lazy and just not caring for their education.

"Yes, we do." One of the other inquisitors spoke up "All of them had reportedly come down with tuberculosis in the recent past, but upon further inspection they would make a recovery seemingly out of nowhere. And well. You're one of the names that had come up in a list of casualties in recent months."

"I see." Theodore nodded "Well me and my wife were indeed sick with that accursed affliction. But we did make a recovery thanks to a recent member of the faculty."

"Interesting." Said the head inquisitor "Can you point us to him? We have some questions."

Theodore agreed to do it. Refusing would be stupid. Potentially putting a shadow on himself for aiding whatever was causing these men their trouble. The trip wasn't long. The building where Francois had his office wasn't far. Only a block away. The group went inside and into the doctor's office. That's when the questioning began as Theodore was instructed to sit and listen as a way to see if the man spoke the truth. Each question regarding the treatment was bounced off to him. As the questions became more severe, he could feel the tension in the air growing. That's when they heard it. From the medical ward nearby. What sounded like moaning and scratching.

One of the inquisitors hesitantly went to open the door when an arm ripped through it, grabbed his hand and jerked violently towards itself. The man screamed as what sounded like something began to chew through his hand. The other inquisitors were distracted by this as Francois made his own move. His hands hidden behind his back now fully visible. Grotesque claws instead of fingers and a pair of fangs protruding and showing their pale white shine. The man was a vampire.

Theodore stumbled back as the carnage began to unfold as whatever beasts that were on the other side of the door began to enter and shamble their way in. Among them he recognized a familiar face. A weak no escaped his lips as he realized Serena was among the creatures.

As if fate hadn't made a cruel enough joke, it was like Serena had recognized her husband and began to slowly walk towards him. Hands extended as if for a loving embrace, but teeth gnawing and gnashing towards him. Her eyes, once full of life and love were now empty and hungry.
---
He opened his eyes once again from that accursed dream. He had nodded off in the bath and had fallen into the trap of that familiar nightmare. He shook his head and threw away the towel that he had placed on it before. 'You had to pick the easy way. Didn't you?' He began to chastise himself for the umpteenth time. He caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror. 'Every time you make the same promise. Never again. But what was that in the mansion?'

Theodore took a deep breath and looked around. No point in moping around about the past. He still had work to do. The bandages were applied. The cologne he had mixed the previous week was sprayed and he put on clean clothes. Leaving the inn, Theodore walked around town to clean his head. He didn't know why, but the local church seemed like the right place to go now.

Jakob was visibly fuming, almost about to burst and throw out a bunch of insults towards Wesley. Instead, he gave the angel a solemn bow. "I...thank you, your grace, for giving me some much needed guidance. Please, I wish you a good day." He then turned about. As much as he disliked the angel's apparent uninterest of helping the inquiry, they did give him some enlightening information. He walked out of the abbey, with every minute his anger growing stronger till he reached the inn. He didn't say a word to anyone, even to the friendly inn keeper whom welcomed him. He walked straight towards Valeria's aura, and slammed the door open. Completely unaware as to what the Senior Inquisitor was doing. "Valeria! Wesley turned into a gods damned vampire! And apparently that little RAT is also in a relationship with that wench Cassandra!" It was rather relieving to let out the anger...but once his anger allowed him to see clearly, he saw that the inquisitor was submerged in a tub. Looking at him. "Uh..." he lowered his hat to hide his eyes. "...uhm...I'm very sorry, ma'am."

Valeria glared at Jakob, peering from over the waterline before raising up far enough to expose her mouth. "Get. Out." she said, her voice seething with anger. There was enough soapy suds in the water to conceal her form, but still. Jakob should have knocked instead of barging in like a wild man.

Jakob nods, and slowly but carefully walks backwards out of the room. He closed the door behind him, before leaning against it and speaking again. "I'm extremely sorry, ma'am, but you have to understand. I got information on both of them! Rosanna is alive," he grunted "...and Wesley seems to have found true love while me and Erwin were thrown to the wolves." He cleared his throat. "I...I wasn't told where they are, but knowing that they are alive is good, right?"

Valeria's voice could be heard after a few moments. "Yes, Jakob. That's good to know. We can deal with Wesley and Cassandra when we see them, and hopefully Rosanna shows up soon. Who gave you this information?" Not even a moment later, she spoke again. "Nevermind. Just let me bathe in peace. Inform the others of their status."

The Purple Rose was a rather fine establishment, Aleister decided, leaning back against the bar while he sat on one of the cushioned stools. It didn't look like much, but there was a rich cultural atmosphere to it. It was a place of history and life... though at the moment the place was mostly empty. Still, he could sense it. The old paintings on the walls, the faded velvet curtains over chipping painted murals of country scenes made to look like windows, the scattered badges and dusty hunting trophies... this place had been around for a while. Unsurprising, given the longevity of vampires, but it was more grounded than any marble ballroom and chandeliered theater. There were no signs of anything - or anyone - being pretentious in these parts. It was a simple den of safety and pleasure. Perhaps not as refined as he would personally like... but there was no denying the charm. This place must get quite lively during the night.

"A drink for ya, sah?" The red-headed bar tender asked. Aleister glanced over at her, eying the woman's intense frizzy orange hair that looked like a current of electricity had been run through it. Her accent was a bit lilted and sing-song. Had her eyes not been red, he'd have figured them to shine like emeralds.

"I suppose I could spare a moment for a meal," he replied back in his smoother higher class voice. He was experienced enough to mask it when needed, but he felt like that wouldn't be necessary here. The woman certainly didn't seem to resent it.

"Preference, sah? We got ah wide lot'oh drink. Consensual donations. Couple'oh our regulars spare a pint or two from time'te'time," she explained. She looked over her shoulder at the wide array of glass bottles on display along the back brick wall. Flickering gas lamps illuminated the shelves, and little labels were under the display glasses, in which small kegs were stored lower down. They all looked the same, as the contents within were all marvelously scarlet, but to a vampire each would have a distinct taste.

"Would there happen to be a house special, madam?"

The vampress smiled wide. "Course, sah! The Silver Lass. Shot'o virgin's blood, with'ah silver marble in the bottom of the glass."

Aleister was intrigued. He'd not heard of this... concoction before. "A... silver marble, you say? That sounds positively dreadful to be anywhere near my mouth, but I suppose it cannot be so bad if its a special."

"Tell ya wot, sah, I'll give ya a taste - no charge. Its a twixer." That made more sense. He knew that term. Twixers were things, usually drink, which elicited pleasure... and pain. Only from vampiric hedonism could such a thing arise, though he was well aware of the things their mortal counterparts got up to.

"Sure thing, madam, it would be most appreciated," Aleister responded, watching the woman prepare the drink. Sure enough, she brought out a small glass shot glass that had a silver marble embedded in the bottom. It was built into the glass so it wouldn't fall out - or so he hoped - but the top half of it was open to the bottom interior of the glass. Whatever was filled into the shot glass would be tinged with the silver sphere.

The blood she poured into the small glass was more tantalizing to observe. A simple little filling of what was supposedly the blood of a virgin. Always a classic treat that mortals often blew out of proportion, for in reality it was difficult to actually obtain. She filled the glass right to the brim with it and slid it over to Aleister.

He grasped it and raised it high. "Cheers, madam." Aleister then downed the shot in one go. Immediately, he could taste the extravagant sweetness of the blood, followed by a hot prickling sensation on his tongue and throat as he swallowed it. It reminded him of a liquid pepper, and it continued to burn all the way down. What surprised him most was how fast it became startlingly painful, only then to turn into a cold numbness. Like ice. It was one hell of a drink.

"I must admit," he said with a slight hoarse tone, "that it was rather intriguing. I can see the appeal."

The vampress bartender laughed, and Aleister flipped her a coin from his pocket. She caught it in mid air and winked. "Glad ya like it, sah. We got plenty'ah more."

Jakob nodded and walked away from the bathroom of Valeria's room. He let out a sigh, and a little chuckle as he fixed his hat. This silly and incredibly awkward moment made him feel a bit better. Almost making him forget the dire situation the Inquiry was in. He looked around the Inn and eventually noticed the aura of Ethraeil in the attic. Curious, he walked up the staircase and headed towards the attic. He carefully peeked his head in, and eventually stepped inside. As he approached the lich, he found him lost in his thoughts. "Hey, I can't help but notice you're up here all alone...you okay there, boneman?" Jakob stepped up next to him. "I have good news. I talked with..." he cleared his throat "...something that told me both Rosanna and Wesley are okay." He then added "Although Wesley will need a few smacks on the back of the head."

Ethraeil turned his head slightly so that he could look towards the Constable, who had decided to join him in the lonesome attic for some reason. He moved his gripped hand behind his armor and into his form to deposit his necklace, out of the view of the Constable, before speaking to him fully. "There is no shortage to strange visitors in the Inquiry, it seems." Ethraei spoke, "If you don't want to tell me where this information came from, that's fine. But I should remind you in a task as dangerous as this, trust is key."

Ethraeil moved his gaze to look out the attic window once more, staring at nothing in particular. "I assume what you mean is that Wesley has joined the enemy?"

Last edited:
Jakob let out a slight chuckle. "Its not that I don't trust you, its more like..." He looked away for a second, thinking of what to say next. "It's a bit too crazy. I went to the local abbey, and there I prayed for some sort of guidance...and I guess the divine heard me because an actual Angel arrived and told me that they were okay." Jakob crossed his arms and looked back to the lich. "But I guess that's not the strangest thing the Inquiry has faced yet, with all the vampires, ghouls, and even werewolves." When Ethraeil asked about Wesley, Jakob couldn't help but let out a frustrated sigh. "Yes, I think so. He has been converted into a vampire, and the Angel told me that he's in a...relationship with that woman Cassandra! Can you believe it?! That little traitorous bastard!"

"...then you know what must be done. Yes?" Ethraeil said without a hint of emotion, nor so much as moving his head away from his view from the window. "He must be put down alongside his new masters. Do not let your feelings cloud your judgement, for the fate of many may depend on it."

Jakob's little smile faded away as Ethraeil suggested killing the young vampire. Jakob looked down for a moment, thinking on his answer. Part of him agreed with Ethraeil. Wesley had betrayed everyone's trust and was now with the enemy. But at the same time, knowing how gullible and young the boy was, Jakob had hoped that Wesley had made a mistake that was fueled by temptation or fear. Did Jakob want to kill another young man, whom might have simply been forced to turn? Or who was being manipulated by a temptress? He looked back at the Lich, and simply said "I think we'll see that when we find him...I'll let you rest, Ethraeil."

Jakob walked away from the lich, letting him sink back into his own thoughts and memories. Once downstairs, he looked across the inn to find Aleister, but didn't sense him nearby. In fact, he sensed him a few blocks away. He looked a bit confused in that general direction. He could also feel other auras, similar in a way to Aleister. Could it be other vampires? The thought that Aleister could be betraying the Inquisitors crossed his mind. He brushed the thought away, but wanted to investigate. It was in his nature as a constable after all.

He couldn't go alone, though. Even if he was a werewolf and had some control over his nature, he needed some backup. He'd ask Ethraeil to go, but he didn't want to bother the brooding lich. He then thought about the one person that made a career out of killing vampires. Camille.

He looked around for her aura, and eventually sensed her outside. He then headed downstairs and out to speak to her. "My lady, can I bother you a moment?" he said, while taking off his hat. "I have good and bad news. Rosanna is alive, as well as Wesley. The bad news is Wesley is a vampire's toy now." He put his hat back on. "I know this might sound crazy, but an angel told me." He cleared his throat. "One more thing...I was looking for Aleister, and I wasn't able to find him inside. Instead, I used my...new abilities to track him down. Now, I don't want to doubt the good priest, after all he's done for me and us...but I felt his aura around other vampires, I think." He looked at her with a little smirk. "And I was thinking maybe we should investigate. Hopefully it'll be nothing, but we have to make sure, right?"

The Escarian woman stepped through the streets, scrutinizing the city-folk yet having no idea what she was looking for at the moment. Velin's words both brushed past her and stuck to her psyche, the huntress' plan of action constantly shifting as she considered how someone such as herself could kill the entirety of the inquiry. When would Mariette make her move? How was she to be certain that Valeria would perform her duties to the end? Powerful as the sword was it had been made for situations such as this. If those that came before them saw it fit to make sure that it could never be found they would all be in trouble should a calamity arise like this again. And the nature of these calamity-weaving beings was all to familiar to Camille, so she knew that it would be necessary to keep it. Perhaps discussing her thoughts with Theodore could ease her mind, maybe instill the importance of him taking up the sword if the Senior Inquisitor was to fail...

As she turned on her heel back to the inn, the constable made himself a roadblock, the Marquess' eyes going slightly wider as she was shaken out of her private planning. With a dignified, somewhat exasperated hum she brushed her pant leg a few times as she looked at Jakob, allowing him to speak. "Bother me? I fail to see how you would manage that." Camille says genuinely. The news of Rosanna being alive did not shock her, and she was still incredibly conflicted over how to deal with their dullahan ally. Velin had told her the threats that she was practically obligated to kill, but she could not see any reason to slay the woman so long as she remained an asset. "I didn't think Rosanna would die that easy. Good for her." the huntress bluntly stated. Yet she did stiffen up a bit when the news of Wesley was told next. "Hmnf... foolish boy. I had hoped they would kill him rather than manipulate him so. We will have to put him out of his misery when we encounter him again."

The most intriguing bit of information he brought to her was Aleister off with a group of vampires somewhere. A society, no doubt. There was a time when Camille would have immediately assumed the worst but given recent events she was willing to see what was going on before casting judgment. She at least owed him that much, and perhaps a bit more. "We better make sure he is not getting himself into trouble, I agree." she finally says, putting a hand to her hip. "Lead on, constable."

Jakob smiled at the Marquess, as she agreed to help him with his investigation. "Thank you for your support, madame. Follow me. I have a vague idea where his aura is." Jakob then led Camille to Bennet Square, and there he noticed the typical people he'd expect in a city like this. Street urchins and beggars. Using his abilities once again, he tried to locate Aleister and eventually looked down an alley nearby. "This way, madame. Keep your sword close just in case we need to face something." Jakob walked ahead into the alley, eventually noticing several little purple roses drawn on the wall of the alley. "Hmm...I think I know what we're looking for."

He looked back to Camille, as he continued to walk down the alleyway. "Back in Redgorge, while the town continued to grow due to the mining business and investments from local authorities, we had workers from Eshax and Shioya. You know, that country over in Redonia? They introduced opium to the town." He looked about as he talked. "Redgorge always had a sheriff and some deputies, but with all the growth, things had to modernize. And an ol' sheriff with a shotgun and sword wouldn't stop a group of banditos or a big group of ghouls. So, they made the Redgorge Police Department."

"At the time, I was a fresh rookie on the force, and I learned in a few years where the opium houses were. Thinking they were hidden under the noses of the law." He let out a chuckle. "Thing is, they'd always leave some sort of cryptic message or sign on the walls or nearby objects to show their location to their customers." Eventually, Jakob finds the staircase leading to the opium house. He gave the marquess a little smirk. "Over the years back home, I participated in five raids on opium houses. I know this stuff like the back of my hand."

Jakob then walked down the staircase and knocked on the door. He could feel the aura of a vampire just behind the door. He looked to Camille. "Don't worry, I'll have us inside in a moment."

The slot at eyelevel opened after a moment, sharp red eyes peering back at Jakob, and darting over to look at Camille. The eyes returned to linger on the constable, particularly his uniform. It was apparent a man like him showing up was uncommon, and likely unexpected. But given that it was a vampire on the other side, they could undoubtedly sense that Jakob was not a typical constable.

"Password," the vampire bouncer grunted.

However, after a second, there was someone talking to the bouncer from the other side. The slot then closed... but the door opened after it was unlatched, and it swung open to reveal the fairly dark interior. Just on the other side of the bouncer was Aleister.

"Ah... I thought it was you who was coming closer. Don't worry, sir, I can vouch for these two... they travel with my group," Aleister explained to the burly vampire, who sized both Jakob and Camille up.

"That so? This ain't a Grimsby uniform... and Devonhall pays his dues with the bobbies. I'll take yer word on this, Engels," the man said, voice stern as he looked back at Aleister. "Since you vouched for 'em... yer responsible for 'em."

He then looked over at Jakob and Camille again, giving them a stern finger. "No draw'n blades or pistols here. Keep'n holstered."

Aleister gave a little half-bow. "But of course, sir. I can assure you... they won't cause any trouble." This time Aleister said this while looking at Camille. Once the door was closed and the two now admitted into the den, they could see the place for what it was - and that there were only a few other patrons in shadowed booths. The place was practically deserted.

Aleister went back to the bar and gestured at the empty seats all around. There was a small tumbler glass where he was seated, mostly empty save for a small sliver of a thick red liquid resting in it.

"I didn't expect company," he said softly, settling back down onto his seat.

The vampress bartender drifted over and glanced Jakob and Camille over, a bit curious as well. The bouncer watched them from a dark corner in the room.

"Wolfman, ah? We got meats'n bits if thats yer fancy. If ya ever feel'n a bit of the wolf com'n on, we got'ah room in the back for ya to cool off'n," the woman said, and then glanced over at Camille. "And regular drink fer the lass... along with some poppy, if ya fancy it."

Jakob gave Aleister a friendly smile, as he vouched for them with the bouncer. Jakob looked to the man and gave him a respectful nod before walking into the building with both Aleister and Camille. He looked about the establishment carefully. It wasn't similar to the other opium houses and dens he's seen over the years. It had an exotic charm that he couldn't really describe, and the fact that it was also a gathering place for vampires made it all the more interesting. "Maybe next time you'll take your friends out instead of us having to follow you." he said while Aleister was sitting down. "I like this place. Exotic and cozy! I'll ignore it being very illegal, for now." The quite cute bartender then asked Jakob if he was interested in some meat bits. Jakob gave her a friendly smile in return. "Sure thing! Have you got any turnips so I can make a...ah nevermind, I'll buy some later so I can cook 'em up during travel." He cleared his throat. "And they better be animal bits, okay?" he added jokingly. "So, Al! What were you doing here all by yourself? I know you're..." he chuckled "...A man of refined tastes compared to us nincompoops." He then eyed Camille. "Excluding the noble ladies of course." He looked back to Aleister. "Come now, I was hoping I was in decent company. Is it the midnight grunting? I'm trying to control it." He said with a friendly smirk. Clearly enjoying this little time not thinking of the problems plaguing them at the moment.

Aleister gave a neutral, gentle smile. "Yes, well, I wasn't so sure I would end up here anyways. It was rather by chance that a strapping lad directed me here," he chuckled, recalling the old homeless veteran from the alleyway. "As for illegal... perhaps further south, but you'd be quite surprised at the... subtle legalities of establishments operated by my kind. There are some places where the poppy is illegal in every inch of town or city... save for one or two dens with a permit. Now, whether that is legal is another question entirely. Of course, this place is more than such a den, and is probably established as such in the ledgers."

He simply shrugged and took a sip of his glass while the bartender vampress eyed Jakob and gave him a nod. "Course, sah. Ol' Peggy is back in the brimstone, he'll get you a right slab of meat out. And narry a bit of human meat here, 'cept for yer lady friend," she snickered, heading off towards the kitchen behind the bar.

"Regardless," Aleister continued, "I was looking to make introductions with the society here. See what I could find out. Enjoy some refreshment and entertainment after the travesty we've been forced to endure. The patron here - Devonhall - won't be around until much later tonight. I doubt I'll stay here all day, but a little rest and meal goes a long way to improving one's mood and complexion."

"I'm somewhat surprised you got the Marquess to come along... though I don't suppose you knew where I was when you set off to follow," he said, glancing down the bar at Camille. It was rather fortunate this place was mostly empty right now. Had there been more denizens of the night, he wasn't so sure that Camille would be able to behave.

Camille walked along the cobblestone roads as she freely let Jakob handle this little investigation. Finding societies such as this was something she was quite familiar with, though they were often of a much higher profile and harder to pin than this particular one. A side effect of refinement and hubris, something both the people and creatures within Escaria held in droves. Following the quaint little flower decals was trivial, and the process was expedited with the constable's ability to sense their vampire compatriot easily. When it came to the barred door she looked up at the pair of eyes with a sneer, not intimidated in the least bit and slightly disgusted with the affair.

Stepping inside, she was immediately greeted by a parasite telling her to watch her weapons, to which she narrowed her eyes and said nothing. There would have been a problem if they forced her to have her weaponry confiscated entirely, and she saw this as a fragile trust that she had no time or desire to break. Aleister did well to keep the peace, and she wondered how he was able to maneuver himself into such a seedy den so easily before she sauntered over and took her seat at the bar. "The illegality is possibly the least worrisome thing about this place." the marquess muttered to herself as she looked around. It was like a disgusting pub, made even more stomach-turning by its denizens and how they proudly displayed human blood on shelves behind them as if it was a fine wine.

The plucky bartender earned a tired look from Camille, her arm resting on the counter-top as she sighed. "I will take a red wine. Preferably without any viscera if you can manage it." she said with a most neutral tone. The huntress was both in and out of her element at the same time, often sneaking into parties filled with vampires before making a move, yet still so different when such a gathering is in a dingy tavern rather than a ballroom or mansion grounds.

Her patience continued to be tested and displayed as the bartender made a comment that she elected to ignore, turning her attention to Aleister as she tries to pretend that he was the only vampire here at the moment. "If you are implying that I only came along here to catch you in some grand, scheming act to slaughter us all I must say that you are quite wrong, mon ami." Camille replies. "I come to expect such behavior from the Countess these days, so you are not on my list of worries. I had hoped to talk to you after I got some rest, so catching you in some awful act of sorts in seeking you out would merely be a bonus."

"Truth be told, Al, I was the one fearing you could abandon us." Jakob cleared his throat while taking off his hat. "You see, I have some bad news related to Wesley. I went to the local Ab-" He paused, looking around the place for a moment. Knowing there were other vampires in the shadowy rooms of the establishment. He decided to whisper the rest. "...abbey, and prayed for some sort of guidance." Jakob looked away for a moment. "Not trying to sour the mood or anything, but I'm not exactly happy with the current situation. Losing Wesley and Rosanna, and being unable to save even a single soul."

After a few moments of silence, Jakob looked back to Aleister. "Well, after praying for a few minutes, I was...blessed by a visit from an angel. They told me that both Wesley and Rosanna are alive!" He then added with a tinge of anger in his voice. "But Wesley seems to have betrayed us and willingly became a vampire. Now, normally I wouldn't care that he turned into a creature of the night, but the thing is that the little gullible idiot is in a relationship with that vampire wench Cassandra. Can you believe it?"

Mariette glanced up from the pages of her grimoire and studied Theodore's aura carefully, but in the end, she couldn't tell whether or not her hex had worked. Dreamweaving was an inexact art, and she found herself feeling jealous of Sazak's immense talent in that regard. Even if the alchemist suffered a nightmare at her whim, she couldn't be certain that it would accurately reflect her intent. She had hoped to leave him with a scarring mental image of a loved one's rotting corpse reanimated by his own hands, so that he would be guilt-stricken and thoughtful of the nightmare any time he considered necromancy in the future.

She shrugged. This wasn't as fun as she had hoped it would be, and so she decided to go out on the town. Changing out of her travelling clothes, she adopted a more domestic yet elegant look and headed out into the winding streets. She could sense Aleister and Jakob together and began absent-mindedly wandering toward them until she noticed: Camille was with them. She let out an audible huff and turned, heading down a random side street.

"Yer money or ya life, doll," a gruff voice grunted at her from behind. She turned calmly to face the dirty, older human man who mistakenly believed he had crept up behind her unnoticed as she wandered. In reality, she had sensed him but flatly ignored him as he wasn't a threat. He was wrinkled and unshaven, and in his hand was an old and tarnished knife that might have even had a silvery sheen to it, and he held its point right up to her throat as he pushed in, trying to corner her. "I'm a desperate man and I've killed fer less, I tell yah. Come on, I know ya've got it, yer no local woman, that's bloody obvious."

For the briefest moment, Mariette was frightened by the combination of his sudden advance, the could-be-silver knife, and the general filth of her assailant, and then she remembered how utterly inconsequential it all was and cracked a smile. "Ah, hah hah," she laughed.

"H-hey, don't test me, ya daft woman. I got no qualms carvin' up a lady, I promise ya that!"

But now Mariette's laughter rose higher; it simply tickled her that an ordinary man would try to threaten her so brazenly after she had literally ripped the hearts out of human soldiers' chests down in Porthcrawl. The thought crossed her mind that she could do anything to this man and there wasn't a thing he could do about it, especially since Mariette was alone... the Inquiry wouldn't even know if she decided to drink this man dry... not that she would put her lips anywhere near his rancid-smelling flesh. She tried to regain her composure, but lost it, nearly doubling over. If only the poor vagrant knew! "Haaa hah hah hah!"

"Shut your godsdamned mouth you-" The man's vitriol was silenced with a horrified gasp as Mariette took hold of him and thrust him back into the nearest wall, revealing her red eyes and fangs as she howled with laughter, brimming with hilarity at just how pathetic he was in her presence. The old thug let out a whimper and then a scream.

"You what?" Mariette taunted as she held him there. "What am I to you, you vermin?"

The man thrashed a bit, finding her strength utterly insurmountable. He was as caught as a mouse beneath a lion's paw. His movements subsiding to a mild squirm, he closed his eyes. No other act of resistance was possible. "Y-you're one o' them bloodsuckers!"

Having regained her composure, Mariette smirked and replied, "ohh, that's right. But I'm not just one of them, I'm... royalty. Now don't you feel silly, putting that butter knife in my face, mon petit chou. Hah hah hah... Oh, but it was an easy mistake to fall prey to, was it not? To think you have power in this world to take what you want, only to remember what it means to be a lowly human. But I can change that, and make you strong. Would you like to live forever?"

"Wha- n-no! Please don't!"

Mariette snickered at him. "It was a joke, you scumbag. Tell anyone about me and I'll turn your heart into a squeezing orange. Go find a bath already." She dropped him on the ground and the man scampered away in terror, leaving his knife behind at the scene in a hysterical retreat. Mariette moved on, carelessly wandering the streets until she found herself unintentionally turning back toward Aleister and Jakob's direction. Her senses could reveal the auras of others, but couldn't prevent her from getting lost in the city. She sighed. Maybe it's a sign, she mused, and within a few minutes, had tracked down the entrance.

The bartender poured out a bottle of red wine for Camille, sliding the clean glass over to the woman. "Viscera costs extra, lass. Though if ya got a bit'o a sharp tooth, we got'ah wide selection," the vampire laughed, before moving along towards the kitchen again.

"Well... I appreciate your trust, Marquess. I can assure you, all acts I perform are always truly awful," he smirks. "More seriously, however, I do fear the Countess is rather... unsettled, perhaps, by these events. She seems rather temperamental, I suppose. I think she means well... though she lacks guidance." He could understand her behavior if it was simply the stress getting to her.

He raised a brow at Jakob when the man spoke up again. "You would think I stoop to betrayal so easily? Hmph." Aleister simply shook his head, taking another drink.

Jakob mentioning how he was met by an angel was rather quite fascinating, and he wondered if the man had hallucinated it or if it truly happened. He didn't particularly see why he would lie concerning the matter, and so he ended up nodding along with a look of mild astonishment.

"It is certainly good to hear that Rosanna is alive. As for Wesley... and his curious case... are you so certain that he has betrayed us? Examine the situation for a moment. He is young, inexperienced, and captured by the pureblood Cassandra. Do you think he had any choice but to accept what ever twisted propositions she provided him? Its easily to imagine people like us choosing death over betraying our ideals, but not all have such conviction in their youth. That said, had he more willingly stepped into this role... the boy deserves a solid wallop on the head."

A moment later the bartender returned with a painted clay plate, and she sat it down infront of Jakob. There was a triple stack of steaming ribs, with bone jutting out from the sides and thick bloody meat clinging to the ivory pieces. They looked to be beef ribs, and a little on the rarer side. The woman handed over a stubby fork to help pull it apart, and she tossed a... relatively... clean rag at him for his hands.

Aleister then glanced towards the door as he had earlier when he sensed Jakob and Camille near the alley... and now he felt a far more powerful one closing in. Even had he been occupied, drunk, and smoking the poppy... there would have been no missing this aura. Even the bouncer seemed to shift about by the door curiously.

The eyeslot on the door opened before Mariette even reached the bottom of the steps. His red eyes were steady as ever as he took in the fourth newcomer at the bar in such a short amount of time, and almost instinctively, he glanced over his shoulder to see that Aleister had once more approached him.

"Don't tell me..."

Aleister nodded. "Quite so, sir. As I said... there is a fair number to my group and we are passing through. The trouble out east has sent us on the move. Rather dreadful, really..."

The bouncer worked his jaw as if he was literally chewing the information over before opening the door to admit Mariette into the dark, dungeon like interior of the Purple Rose. It looked not unlike a backwoods tavern for the lads coming back to share a pint after a fox hunt... had the place not been updated in several decades. The odd arrangement of Eshax curtains, silks, and pillows in the dugouts along the wall were all mostly empty, save the for the telltale glow of pipes and occasional puffs of smoke escaping the booths. The floor by the bar was occupied by small, squat tables with chairs crowded around them, while further across the room was open floor, finally ending in a stout elevated stage that was currently empty.

Once inside, the bouncer settled back down by the door, but his eyes were firmly on the four strangers now.

"Ah... Countess. It seems our party grows ever larger in this fine establishment. Come, if you wish to sit at the bar..." he said, stepping away from the bouncer. "Not as refined as an Escarian parlor, but I doubt anyone would oppose our move to a booth, if you wish." In truth, he had considered going to one by himself earlier. Lounging about like a lazy prince amid pillows and intricately weaved rugs wasn't entirely unappealing.

"The good constable was just telling me about the news he had concerning Rosanna and Wesley...."

Mariette breezed in without having to speak to the doorman, feeling every bit as important as her ego presumed her to be. Her surroundings were certainly lowbrow, but she had seen much worse at points in her life and was comfortable knowing that this place was safe for her kind. Or, it would be, if the Raven hadn't been welcomed inside somehow. She didn't comment on it as she found a seat at the bar. However, she did perk up when Aleister mentioned Rosanna and Wesley. "News?" she repeated.

When the others had finished reiterating the story yet again, Mariette seemed highly relieved to hear that Rosanna was alive, and asked nothing more of it. She trusted that if the woman was alive, then she must have escaped the enemy's trap and was now on the way. Wesley's turning, however, prompted some questions. "Oh, I assume we're plotting to kill him now?" she asked rather cynically.

Jakob looked to Aleister with a smile. "Oh, don't be like that Al. You can never be too sure at this point. I trust you as much as I trust the Marquess here, but having doubts is a human thing, is it not?" Jakob let out a chuckle when he realizes that he used the word human. He never thought about it until now, how he was no longer a human but a creature, yet he still refers himself as a human. It was a strange feeling he'd have to get used to.

When the lovely bartender brought a plate of ribs, Jakob couldn't help but to look at it like a desperate beggar. He felt as if he hadn't ate it weeks! He thanked the lovely lady, and started to eat happily, listening to his two companions talk. When Aleister talked about Wesley, Jakob looked down for a moment, swallowing a chunk of meat before speaking. After all, mama always taught him to never speak with a full mouth. "You're right, but the angel was rather specific on Wesley's relationship with Cassandra. Even if she forced him to turn out of fear, who would start that kind of relationship with their kidnapper?" He took another bite, and quickly swallowed it before continuing. "Still, I don't know what to think anymore. I guess I'm angry because I truly cared about the little guy."

As he continued eating, he could sense another aura approaching. A much more powerful one. He looked at Aleister, then smiled. "I guess someone wanted to tag along." He said, before getting back to his meal. Indeed, soon enough Mariette walked into the room, looking refined as always. "Hi, Mariette!" said Jakob with a big smile on his face. "Yeah, lemme tell you about what happened..."

After informing the countess about the others, he was glad to know that she shared his feeling of relief over Rosanna's survival. But her cynical comment made him raise a brow. "Well, the marquess suggested that, but I'd wait till we face him. See if he's just a victim, or if he's actually joined that succubus of a vampire."

Jakob then looked to the bartender. "That meal was great! Thank you very much, ma'am. Can I get a drink? Got any whiskey? If not, I'll take mead or wine. I'm not picky!" He then looked to Mariette. "So! Wanted to join us, madame?"

Mariette gave a sly smile to the Constable's question. "Most of you, monsieur," she answered quietly. She then noticed Camille's drink order and, out of curiosity, asked the bartender which variety her good friend was having.

Camille gingerly grabbed the glass once the bartender slid it to her, swirling the wine slowly as she eyed it with scrutiny. The huntress was so on edge that she was checking if the drink was poisoned or somehow altered to something that would prove to be most dissatisfying morally and for taste. As the two discussed Wesley and Rosanna, she said nothing due to Aleister completely neglecting the primary reason she came here. The huntress could have easily said her piece on how awful Cassandra was for damning the boy the way she had, but there was no use trying to get on that soap box when she could avoid it. As she bit her tongue shekept making glances to the bartender, trying to gauge her reaction or see if she was being observed with the recently acquired drink. One of the tell tale signs of tampering is the server constantly eyeing you as you drink, insisting that you drink more of it or imply that you impose by moving through it at your own pace. Eventually, she saw that the wine was safe and decided to sip on it quietly, actually needing something like this after the past few days. It was... adequate.

As the conversation died down between Jakob and Aleister, she looked at the priest before opening her mouth to say something, trying to find a way to say what she wished to say without making a complete fool of herself. "Potential betrayal or Wesley's demise aside I..." Camille took too long, as several people shifted about as the countess had come upon them. Her off-hand immediately balled into a fist once she saw Mariette brazenly step through the tavern door, glaring daggers at her before going silent yet again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back