• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Fated Ties: Splintered Kingdoms [ Out-of-character Chat ]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

deer

ғɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴡɪɴɢs & sᴏᴀʀ
hI80LFR.jpg
Fated Ties: Splintered Kingdoms
Hello, all! Welcome to Fated Ties: Splintered Kingdoms' Out-of-character chat thread!​
We will both be using this thread and discord for our out-of-character chat! Announcements and important information will be place in both sections so that members who don't use discord will still be notifed.

Please note that although there isn't a strict posting length or time, to ensure that there's an even pace and that everyone is on the same page, we would like for everyone to post at least once a week with a minimum of two paragraphs per post! All RPN Site Rules applies and if there's any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited:
deer deer Archon Archon Obi-Wan Kenobi Obi-Wan Kenobi So, wanted to send a faction idea. Nothing fancy or important, a minor warlord in the northwest. Served as the 'Silk Guardian', controller of the Jiang province where the silk worms grow, however, because of how valuable silk is and its cultural importance, all silk is the property of the Emperor. So my character's job is to safeguard the silk as well as the primary exit/entrance for this universe's 'Silk Road'.

Main difference between the Xuefang and them will be their relation with the Khagan. Unlike the Xuefang who fought against them and safeguarded the borders, my character and his ancestors worked with the Khagan establishing a tribute/pass system to help protect the silk road and merchants who paid a hefty fee/tax for that protection. The relations are close enough that many of my character's ancestors are Khagan thanks to intermarriages to strengthen ties. So when the war came and as their neighbors, the much stronger Xuefang, were being ravaged, my character/faction remained neutral which I can only assume would build a lot of tension and dislike between mine and Xuefang and their coalition, but my faction also isn't a big fan of the Emperor as not only did he endanger a relation they've spent generations safeguarding, there is growing unrest at their service in bleeding for the Emperor's Silk and receiving nothing in return save for being called Barbarians thanks to their intermarriage and relations with the Khagan.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hey!

So, since our GM oh-so negligently forgot to include a very central Religious Tab - like any self-respecting competent GM would - the fleshed out lore behind the religious differences wasn't available to you. The Steppe Nomads are naturally inspired by historical Tengri, but they're a little more extreme in the sense they openly indulge in human sacrifice and raiding the frontiers and mainland Empire is a common and repeating occurrence. Someone of this religion would never be allowed in the empire, but your Warlord could hold ancestry since sometimes "tribute" involves offering the warlord's maiden daughters as a wife, it's supposed to be a sign of submission and humiliation, but perhaps your Dynasty has heralded this as common practice for generations?

However, the three main families are created to be a cut-above everyone else, whilst the Silk Guardian may be a bountiful realm, you'll have to ensure they're small. It goes without saying that allying with raiders and savages by entering a state of ancient and permanent tribute is going to also mean the dynasty is one of - if not the - least respected in the Empire. It shattered the Emperor's respect for capitulating on the brink of defeat, to say nothing of a Warlord who's family has done so for centuries. This mockery and lack of respect, following the Imperial Humiliation, would've quickly become hate and disgust. From all the Empire, primarily the Xuefeng, but nobody would be fond of such a move. But hey, even if everyone on the inside hates you, you'll have some nasty smelly savage horse-riding, evil-worshipping, barbaric brainless horselords in your corner!
Cosmo Cosmo

Hey!

So, since our GM oh-so negligently forgot to include a very central Religious Tab - like any self-respecting competent GM would - the fleshed out lore behind the religious differences wasn't available to you. The Steppe Nomads are naturally inspired by historical Tengri, but they're a little more extreme in the sense they openly indulge in human sacrifice and raiding the frontiers and mainland Empire is a common and repeating occurrence. Someone of this religion would never be allowed in the empire, but your Warlord could hold ancestry since sometimes "tribute" involves offering the warlord's maiden daughters as a wife, it's supposed to be a sign of submission and humiliation, but perhaps your Dynasty has heralded this as common practice for generations?

However, the three main families are created to be a cut-above everyone else, whilst the Silk Guardian may be a bountiful realm, you'll have to ensure they're small. It goes without saying that allying with raiders and savages by entering a state of ancient and permanent tribute is going to also mean the dynasty is one of - if not the - least respected in the Empire. It shattered the Emperor's respect for capitulating on the brink of defeat, to say nothing of a Warlord who's family has done so for centuries. This mockery and lack of respect, following the Imperial Humiliation, would've quickly become hate and disgust. From all the Empire, primarily the Xuefeng, but nobody would be fond of such a move. But hey, even if everyone on the inside hates you, you'll have some nasty smelly savage horse-riding, evil-worshipping, barbaric brainless horselords in your corner!
Cosmo Cosmo

I figured they were the mongols or the Proto-Mongolian/Wuhuan people. The tribute was more akin to goods as sacrificial or not, cultures still valued goods especially, I imagine, horses given the culture. The system in place would be much akin to the later Mongolian one, a 'symbol' will be created, likely out of gold or some other expensive material to help cut down on forgery, that a merchant can 'buy' for a very hefty fee. In return, they get to enjoy the safety of the various outpost along much of the Silk Road, they can exchange horses and displaying the symbol will protect them from the vast majority of Khagan raiders. This symbol can be removed for crimes, especially, silk [or worse, silk worm] smuggling [as only authorized traders of the Emperor could trade it as it is his silk].

As for the 'we want your women!' I'm more talking a relation that has gone back generations. This isn't some random warlord asking them for help and being extorted, this is centuries of integration of culture, tradition and warfare. The peace is kept between the two, but when a Khagan horselord fights, the faction fights against that horselord. Some of their women have been married off to Khagan leaders, some Khagan women have been given or taken by mine. A relation close enough that their identity blurs in the eyes of their neighbors.

Indeed, they would be a small realm, a single province, I want to play a minor faction and them being very disliked by the Empire, at large, is a major factor in their relations. The whole between a 'rock and a hard place' sounds like great fun. Spent generations protecting the silk road and guaranteeing the Emperor can clothe all his concubines in the finest silks, their diplomatic relations securing a level of prosperity and safety among the Silk Road never before seen.. hated as barbarians and often used as the butt of everyone's jokes, on the other side of them, they have the Xuefang, the guys who hate said Mongolians and have a very different philosophy of dealing with them who also hate them and are hated in return.

The main influence of this faction I want to make is the Ma family/Han Sui warlords.

Last edited:
That's a difference I can appreciate! At first, I was picturing more of a bureaucratic faction who've ensured safety through shrewd diplomacy with the Khagans. Ma Teng and Han Sui were heavily influenced by the frontiers, but it was always in the guise of a guardian, they were the fists that smashed rival horselords. A faction who embraces that nomad heritage is a welcome change!

The symbol thing, sensical as it might be, is very diplomatic - the intent was for the Steppe Tribes and the Empire to be ancient rivals who struggle to feel anything beside hate to one another. In other words, your family might be the only province in possession of one of these symbols, making it a self-made and non-sanctioned thing. The He Dynasty would have tolerated it, for it brings in the Silk they have their clutches in, but within the more inland commanderies the people would be vehemently anti-nomad, making your province perhaps the only one where the Khanates are welcome for any sort of trade.
Cosmo Cosmo

Archon Archon Indeed! Less Liu Biao and more Ma Teng/Han Sui. Embraced the nomadic culture and heritage, living in a blend of nomadic/Chinese cultures but not fully a part of either and thanks to the unique and deeper hatred in this world, they are very much hated by the other warlords and are tolerated by the ruling Dynasty only because they bring in enough Silk that removing them could cause more issues then it would fix.

Yes, this symbol is purely between my faction and the Khagan. It is only for the Silk Road and it isn't really 'ordained' by the Emperor. Bringing it anywhere else, the only value it would have is the raw material it was forged from.

[Also intend for this faction to be destroyed as the story goes on by the much stronger nations and end up having him join another faction in vengeance. Add a bit more gravity to the story if a player faction gets destroyed, but really want to roleplay that 'I'm surrounded by people that hate me!' before that happens]

Can I create a spy/assassin that is originally from the Xuefeng dynasty but goes undercover to spy on and/or assassin the leader of the Sie?

Self_Plagiarism Self_Plagiarism ;

Hi there! Forgive me for the lateness!

You’re more than welcome to create a spy/assassin.

But, I don’t see Xuefeng and Sie having problems with each other currently since Sie is a neutral family. However, I can see Xuefeng and Yu having their conflicts and there could be a reason for sending a spy over there!

I don’t believe Xuefeng Zan would use an assassin himself because he has too much pride to resort to one. However, someone in his faction, say : maybe a smaller lord that disagrees with Xuefeng Zan / has controversies with / etc. will send a spy behind his back to Yu to stir up some trouble / make Xuefeng Zan see their reason / etc.

What kind of spy/assassin are you thinking of playing?

Last edited:
how different will this be from three kingdoms?

how different will this be from three kingdoms?
What's the criteria for "different"?

You can find information in the Lore tab that outlines a few differences - the area will also have our own representation of Japan which will be directly involved in the scenario. But in principal, the story and the general RP direction should mirror the Romance quite strongly!

What's the criteria for "different"?

You can find information in the Lore tab that outlines a few differences - the area will also have our own representation of Japan which will be directly involved in the scenario. But in principal, the story and the general RP direction should mirror the Romance quite strongly!

Will it be different to how the three kingdoms ended up being?
Will there be other foreign powers outside of japan? like lets say the Maurya empire from india or one of Alexandars successor states/romans.
Would our characters be able to influence the story?
Any magic? fantasy races? creatures etc.
is the landscape similar to ancient china but more extreme for that fantasy feel? i know one of the tags say low fantasy but low and high fantasy are super subjective.
will there be more independent warlords outside the 3 dynasties?

Will it be different to how the three kingdoms ended up being?
Will there be other foreign powers outside of japan? like lets say the Maurya empire from india or one of Alexandars successor states/romans.
Would our characters be able to influence the story?
Any magic? fantasy races? creatures etc.
is the landscape similar to ancient china but more extreme for that fantasy feel? i know one of the tags say low fantasy but low and high fantasy are super subjective.
will there be more independent warlords outside the 3 dynasties?
1. Potentially, but not absolutely, relating to number three.
2. Potentially, Alexander's Empire might exist in some reforged fashion in the far West, but not in any fashion as to reach the borders of Qingan. Though the potential for external influence from other Empires is definitely present, such as the "Maurya".
3. Our characters influence everything. The RP is made by us, there'll be no deus-ex to strongarm factions into victory. The three families might be loose "representatives" of Liu Bei, Cao Cao and Sun Jian, but everything goes in terms of the victors and losers.
4. No magic, fantasy races, or creatures, but read any feat in the Romance and it can be applied here. Want your character to be able to smash a wall by throwing their shield or pull an ox towards them through inhuman strength? Go for it.
5. We do have a custom map in the works, though our version is slightly more isolated. We need to finish up some plotting first, but the landscape won't be overtly fantastical and slightly more similar to historic, with variances welcome for faction regions.
6. Many, many more warlords. Custom factions are welcome and encouraged.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Potentially, but not absolutely, relating to number three.
2. Potentially, Alexander's Empire might exist in some reforged fashion in the far West, but not in any fashion as to reach the borders of Qingan. Though the potential for external influence from other Empires is definitely present, such as the "Maurya".
3. Our characters influence everything. The RP is made by us, there'll be no deus-ex to strongarm factions into victory. The three families might be loose "representatives" of Liu Bei, Cao Cao and Sun Jian, but everything goes in terms of the victors and losers.
4. No magic, fantasy races, or creatures, but read any feat in the Romance and it can be applied here. Want your character to be able to smash a wall by throwing their shield or pull an ox towards them through inhuman strength? Go for it.
5. We do have a custom map in the works, though our version is slightly more isolated. We need to finish up some plotting first, but the landscape won't be overtly fantastical and slightly more similar to historic, with variances welcome for faction regions.
6. Many, many more warlords. Custom factions are welcome and encouraged.
custom factions and more warlords as in our characters can be warlords and try to forge their own dynasty? how would that work? would it be like a nation building rp at that point?
thanks for answering my questions though!

custom factions and more warlords as in our characters can be warlords and try to forge their own dynasty? how would that work? would it be like a nation building rp at that point?
thanks for answering my questions though!
Not particularly nation buildy, you might RP battles and politics but there'd be no turn-based system with number crunching and too much focus on logistics. The focus will always be the IC Roleplaying, the unfurling of the IC will be negotiated between people OOC too so people can plan storylines and the outcome of things such as battles. In my experience those things need discussing between involved parties beforehand to reach a fair and sensical outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Petroshka Petroshka , to branch onto what Archon Archon said,

You are welcome to make your own custom factions. There will be other warlords, even your own character can be one. However, they will not surpass the prestige, influence, and levels of the [ 3 ] Main Families. We have an application if you decide to make your own faction, it will be fairly simple in terms of what we require.

It wouldn't be a nation building-world focused roleplay. Your characters are the driving force of this roleplay. Every decision is based on our characters and what we plan. OOC communication is a must since we all can plan out the storylines, plot points, events, and etc. You can create chaos and havoc, court intrigue, romance, politics, and etc. in this roleplay but it has to be agreed upon.

In addition to making your own faction, if there is an important character, city, and etc. that you have thought of lore-wise, we can add it to the lore-tab as well.

However, they will not surpass the prestige, influence, and levels of the [ 3 ] Main Families.
A note on this is: At first. Who knows what may happen in the RP proper once things kick off? As my co-GMs have stressed, player interaction and agency is one of the core elements here. The plot won't bend to have the stars align in your favour, of course, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Did Yuan Shao not be beaten into irrelevance? Did the Sun Dynasty not unfurl from a bandit-hunter with dreams, talents, and drive into one of the Three Kingdoms?

if ya'll know how important ooc communication is, do you have a discord server set up? if ya dont i recommend it!

Archon Archon Working on my bio, but how do the Khagan sacrifice people? Is it like a bloodletting thing, staking them down under the Blue Sky, running them over with horses?

Petroshka Petroshka ,

Yes, we do have a discord. We have made it but haven't sent out the link yet. The reason we haven't yet is that we're still setting up the lore information.

Currently, however, it doesn't seem like anyone has any issues talking in this OOC thread! We have both this OOC thread and discord made in case there are members who don't use discord so everyone is in the know.

Archon Archon Working on my bio, but how do the Khagan sacrifice people? Is it like a bloodletting thing, staking them down under the Blue Sky, running them over with horses?
First up, minor point of order, they're the Chandkh, not the Khagan. Khagan is just "Khan of Khans" in real-world history, and we saw no reason to change it. Yesugei was the leader of a big ol' bunch. There's a reason he got to bat around the He. But, well, easy mistake. It might not be up in the lore tab super clearly yet.

As for the sacrifice, it's a barbaric method that is conveniently not graphic enough to tip off the RPN censors. Alternatively, that's something you could probably decide more or less yourself. The only stipulation is that it probably involves chanting, as the lore tab indicates. Also I have a pet theory that the sacrifice of a Chandkh is inordinately more valuable than the sacrifice of an Other, because of the whole clan structure and how by slaying another Chandkh you're probably slaying someone related to you. But that's a theory I have as a player, not as a GM. You can do what you want with it.

Obi-Wan Kenobi Obi-Wan Kenobi Mmm, so kinda make one up that fits and would involve chanting and ceremony, gotcha.

Ah, I see, I'll CTL+F my way through and change the names around.

Whew, done with the CS. Let me know any comments, questions, concerns anyone has!

deer deer :
I was thinking of making a spy/assassin that was trained from birth by someone (I haven't thought that far quite yet), and they get sent to do something or kill someone important (like I said haven't thought to far ahead yet) but they start liking the new environment that isn't filled with constant training/fighting

i'll get to working on a CS after the lore is done~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back