• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Eye-Catching Title Go! M/M Story Search (No longer seeking)

Roleplay Type(s)
Introduction
Oh hi! I'm Sparkles. I think I might be a figment of the imagination. It's yet to be disproven. Although I have virtually no history on this site, I have had fun with play-by-post roleplaying for over a decade. Sometimes I game. Mainly I listen to music like a junkie.

What I give:
  • Friendliness. I'm a bit shy, but I like to chat and get to know roleplay partners.
  • Patience. This is a hobby and I understand people have lives that need tending to. While I might be excited about our story, I won't pester. I may check in, though, if there's been silence for a couple of weeks.
  • Adaptability. We're two people trying to enjoy a story together without being super familiar with each other's styles. If it turns out something isn't working, I'm happy to see if there are ways to remedy that. Worst case, we scrap the story and try something else, or we decide we're not compatible and move on our merry ways. In a similar vein, I'm happy to make edits if I make a mistake or something.
  • Collaboration. We're writing a story together. I'll pull my weight by pitching ideas and moving each scene further along.
  • Multi-paragraph responses. I write what I deem is necessary. Whether that's two paragraphs or around 1,000 words, that just depends on the scene in question, my muse, and what I'm given. Since I have no history on this site, I'll provide samples below.
  • Characters. I love creating a breathing world and breaking up the bubble syndrome that can plague 1x1s. Some stories have more flexibility than others, of course, but I'll jump at an excuse to throw in supporting characters to help enrich the story. You want to interact with your character's best friend? I'm in. You need a parent or a mentor? You got it.
  • An interest in IC conflict. Whether it's between our characters or external forces, I think it keeps the story fun and interesting.
  • At least one response every 1-2 weeks. I might be faster than that, depending on my muse, how much work or life is kicking my butt, and how much thought a response requires, but that's the best I can guarantee.

What I'm seeking:
  • M/M for the primary pairing--preferably cis, but with some stories, I might be open to playing against a transman. As it makes sense for a story, I might be open to pairings of other makeups as long as they aren't F/F. Polyamory could be an option where it fits, too.
  • A roleplay partner who can write. I ain't no size queen. If a partner can follow basic grammar, include sufficient details, and provide some kind of hook to respond to with their every post, I'm peachy.
  • A partner who can post at least once every 1-3 weeks, notwithstanding life's shenanigans.
  • A roleplay partner who is at least eighteen and out of high school. I'm around thirty. Let's not make this creepy, mmkay?
  • Roleplaying in a thread or via PMs. Discord is cool for chatting and plotting, but not for roleplaying.
  • Real life face claims.
  • Collaboration. Bring your own ideas! Help shape the story as we go!
  • An interest in IC conflict. When our characters quarrel or struggle, it makes us root for them that much more, no?
  • Flawed characters. A character can be well-adjusted. They can even be super talented or otherwise a stellar example of a human being, but they need flaws that may influence the story. It's the imperfection that makes them beautiful and more fun to play with.
  • Masculine appearances within the main pairing, whether the boy-next-door type or the lumberjack type or any other flavor. While I understand and accept that individuals span a wide range of body types and expressions, I'll lose interest in the romantics if the guy looks effeminate. Also, I have a weird thing with head hair in which, if it's at least long enough to cover the ears, it squicks me out. Sorry!
  • An American setting. I don't have an intimate knowledge of other cultures. Trying to play in them would stress me out, unless maybe I'm playing as a tourist or recent immigrant.
  • This isn't required, but I like when character images are in posts. I feel more inspired.

Samples
Small note: I sometimes copy and paste dialogue from another player's response to make my own flow better. That'll appear in some of these samples.

"Oh, I beg to differ," Ramon said. "You may come to New York a masochist, but stay there long enough and it turns you into a downright sadist."

As the black coffee soaked his tongue and heated his core, Marc smirked from behind the rim of his cup. New York might've turned Ramon into a downright sadist, but Marc figured the man had already been a quarter of the way there, at least, when he set foot in the city. Marc might have distanced himself from the male back then, but he still watched. He witnessed the way Ramon handled the bullies. Some of the ways.

But if Ramon had been a sadist back then, Marc supposed he had been, too. All these years and he could summon the night of the senior sleepover with almost perfect clarity. That short car ride, after he had picked up Ramon, he had tried to earn his trust, tried to get him to come out to him with reassuring words and a friendly pat on the knee. Later, he locked him in the janitor's closet. They fought, sure. Ramon had cuffed him on the ear, but Marc had punched him back. A real one. A mean right hook, just before he had called him a maricón, the only time he spat the word in Ramon's face.

No, of the two of them, Marc decided, there and then, that single night made him the worst. Ramon might have turned the tables on his bullies, but Marc had killed their friendship with his bare hands, and at the time, he had enjoyed it. He liked to think it was because of the adrenaline. If he thought harder about it, he didn't know. Other moments in his life suggested a different reason. Learning of his dad's affair with Ramon's mom had hurt, but that sounded like an excuse for how he had reacted to his own cruelty.

"...in some instances they literally sue for blood."

Piecing the words together, Marc raised his eyebrows while he lowered the cup to the table. "Literally?" It sounded like there was a story.

The conversation circled back to him, about where he saw himself living now. Marc offered the smile when Ramon joked about LA's traffic. "If that's your thing, you can keep it. It sounds as bad as New York's piss-stained subways."

A laugh came from a table of three. Marc watched the women. He watched everyone in the cafe, except for the MacBook Lady behind him. Only Ramon could do that, and she probably flew under his radar, at least in the way it worked for most civilians, like she was part of the backdrop. A few people were naturally alert. Others were shaped that way. Marc supposed he fell in both camps. Being observant came secondhand when he was a teen, but back then, he noticed things because he could. Now he did it because he felt compelled to. It persisted ever since he came back from overseas. It was assuring and exhausting at once, and it was why a job in security had fit him.

In this moment, noting their surroundings also gave him an excuse to not look at Ramon when he spoke his next words. "I moved back here." His decision to return to their hometown didn't bother him before, but admitting it now, somehow it felt like a failure. In a way, he supposed it was. "Recently." He lifted his cup from the table again. "I wanted to get some fresh air and unwind from the city that never sleeps." His attention flicked back to the man sitting across from him. "What brings you here? Visiting your mom?"

As he listened to Talon, Michael's heart beat faster. He didn't know why, or he simply chose not to, nothing but a thin curtain parting him from the reality, protecting him from the self-reflection that would more than likely dampen a mood that had become decent. He wanted it to stay for just a little longer, and here in the dimly lit bar, under the sway of the bourbon as he watched Talon brush his bottom lip with his thumb, as their knees bumped each time the man shifted in his seat, he felt as though it could.

"..so I just don’t even attempt to go there because I’d rather keep a friend than ruin a friendship over silly feelings."

"It sounds like a pickle. If I may, exploring other interests can sometimes be just the thing you need."

There was a moment of reflection before Talon's mindset, his demeanor, shifted. Swept away was the man who sighed wearily, replaced instead by a man with a hunger in his eyes that had Michael's heart skipping a beat. An innuendo rested in his words. A justification rode on its coattails. Michael's stomach twisted as he stared at the smirk upon those lips. His expressions froze from the trepidation, but it was the hope and the curiosity that moved his mouth even before it entered conscious thought: "You could be right." It was an innocuous response, or at least he could believe it to be a viable lie until Talon mentioned stepping into the restroom. The touch along his calf still haunted him as he watched the man near the hallway leading to the bathrooms. Their eyes met one last time before Talon disappeared from his line of sight.

The sound of Michael's heart drowned out the murmur of the TV and the conversation of the other patrons. Every ounce of his body begged him to trace the footsteps of the other man, to feel a connection he had so desperately yearned for over the years. It was the voice in the back of his head that kept him planted on the stool. Michael turned toward the bar as he reached for the next, and last, round of bourbon that Henry had poured. He shook the glass, watching as the amber liquid swirled against its transparent prison.

Alright, he told himself, he would stay put if anyone seemed to have noticed the exchange. Michael's attention darted hesitantly to Henry. The man in question stood feet away, head bowed toward the glass he was filling for someone else. The seats that flanked his other side and Talon's were vacant. If he looked to his left, and to his right, the few other patrons seemed to be lost in their own affairs.

It suddenly occurred to him that he had been thumbing his wedding band. He stopped, and he downed his drink in a single gulp before sliding off the stool. For all he knew, there would be someone else in the restroom anyway, in which case it wouldn't work.

The hallway was short. The walls felt close. A few strides carried him to the door of the men's room. A single hand pushed it open, and there stood Talon at the sinks.

No one else. They were alone.

Slowly, quietly, Michael released the breath he only now realized he had been holding. When their eyes met again through the mirror, he tried a smile. It came easier than he thought it would, and he felt the tension in his muscles ebb. He closed the distance between them while his attention drifted to the mounds of flesh hugged by denim. Fingers glided across the man's lower back before they curled around his forearm. Michael gently tugged Talon toward the back stall.

"Hey, we are all made something of ourselves, Toby," Ben said. "Not just me. You did too and so did Charlie."

Toby grunted, almost as if he was considering his brother's words, but really he had already written them off the second they left his mouth. He spent a lot of his shifts cleaning literal shit off toilets. Though he didn't regret becoming a janitor, and didn't detest the dirty work, it didn't signal "making it" at all like becoming a doctor. It was an accomplishment of his brother's that he secretly took pride in, too, choosing to believe Ben might not have gone off to college if it wasn't for being a rock during the most turbulent time of their lives. It was a lowkey thing, manifesting whenever he gushed about Ben's accomplishments to anyone who happened to be around when the mood hit.

But it was a topic that wouldn't go anywhere, and Toby was more interested in Charlie. The fuckface hitched himself up to Ben's bandwagon in an attempt to insult him. It prompted the question: why did Charlie come back? The response was bluff and hot air. Toby grinned, more sincere amusement than mocking. "Ha! That's the smelliest bullshit I ever smelled. If I see strange men stalking around the park, I know where to point them to." Ben tried to mediate and comment about how Vegas sounded fun. Toby shrugged. "I guess. If I went somewhere, it'd be to a cabin in the mountains, or maybe Idaho. I have a buddy that went to that lake-side resort town. Supposed to be beautiful all year round."

As they dug into the pasta and bread, the conversation had shifted to Ben's cooking. "Shit, that all sounds good to me." He didn't mind living off simple cuisine, but it was nice to have someone who could cook something different. He hummed in agreement to Charlie's compliment on Ben's pasta. The way things were falling, it was probably the only thing they'd agree on tonight.

That topic turned out to be short-lived, too. Ben had something to talk about, and apparently Toby would automatically say no if he didn't stop and listen first. If that didn't warrant a pause, he didn't know what did, so he did exactly that, save for slurping a strand of spaghetti, the force of his sucking so immense that it whipped up and smacked him on the cheek, leaving a spot of sauce there like a red mole. His brow furrowed when Ben finished. "That's the best plan you came up with since you came back. Do it. Get out of here. You can do better than this trash heap." It was a simple answer. It was a no-brainer, so he didn't understand why Ben acted like he needed to dance around the possibility, or that Ben thought he'd jump down his throat and say no. He grinned, a little forced, as he reached out with a loose fist and playfully, softly, jabbed at Ben's arm. "Hell you worrying about it for? Charlie might turn his back on you, but your big bro won't. We're blood. I'll still let you visit, and I'll come pester the shit out of you every chance I get."

Sometimes Toby could listen between the lines. Sometimes he couldn't. Someone who had been around him long enough, like Ben, might suspect he picked and chose what he took at face value. But that wasn't the case in this instance, because there wasn't anything to interpret. He shifted in his seat. It was just to get comfortable. That was all.

Pairings & Word Bank
I have some ideas in the next section, but here are some pairings and concept-less ideas for a better breadth of what I'm open to. There might be others I'd consider that aren't listed here. Just ask!
High School Seniors
College Students
"One Last Summer"
Frat Big & Little
Jock x Jock
Jock x Nerd
Nerd x Bad Boy
Jock x Bad Boy
High School Reunion
Ex-Friends
Best Friends
Rivals
Brother x Sibling's Boyfriend
Older x Younger
Single Dads
Neighbors
Country Boy x City Boy
Homeless/Poor x Wealthy
Bandmates
Rising Celeb x Fading Celeb
Gangsters
Gangster x Cop
Cops
Bodyguard x Celebrity
Ranch Hands
Ranch Owner x Ranch Hand

Ideas
These ideas are pretty flexible.

Homecoming
High school sweethearts A and B swore they wouldn't let the distance affect them when Character A joined the military, but hardly a year in, Character B cheated. If the betrayal wasn't bad enough, it also resulted in the woman getting pregnant.

Character A has returned home, and Character B still has feelings. Can the flame be rekindled?

Will Play: Either character
Other Notes: The details are negotiable. Primarily what matters is that Character A is a veteran, there was cheating, and now there's a kid in the picture. Why Character A's military career ended is open to the player's preference.

The characters could be 21-32.

The woman could still be around, with M/F interactions as needed.

I like the idea of the story taking place in a small town or a close-knit community.

X5JiQ3h.jpg
uqRhKeM.jpg
2jImin9.jpg
N0Ayxvw.jpg
p6qQR8x.jpg
pPDUCeR.jpg
EVoM5uW.jpg
bng8qj8.jpg
Pjm4aOI.jpg
ipOSPhh.jpg
I1d41Bh.jpg
GE2ZIeF.jpg
md8NZ7Z.jpg
a18jLAT.jpg
U7Bo373.jpg
pVmzsBE.jpg
YwkAQ2w.jpg
QTWFO67.jpg
Lb6p42V.png
OCUkiNN.jpg
lRIfAm7.png
e5023a88860336b03dc4d715c4f3434a.jpg
5b90a934076cdf10710aa487b752bf01.jpg
ShSsaYP.jpg
e486616911e75d24def102094bfbd49a.jpg
vDMJClI.jpg
P1vnmNE.jpg
grp5HOJ.jpg

Fatherhood
Something involving a single father and another man! Maybe a party animal who likes kids but struggles with the idea of accepting responsibility? Or how about another father with baggage (e.g., tragically lost his kid, abandoned the mother while she was pregnant, has a family--shh!--and is cheating)? Worst case, maybe Single Father's kid doesn't like the other guy, maybe partly because the other guy is his teacher, or the same age as him?

Will Play: Either character

P0k0Ejs.jpg
oQNV27b.jpg
54BHAqD.jpg
VkiB6NZ.jpg
tjq0TeB.jpg
fIUVZuO.png
Yr7vxUP.jpg
qD3n5zY.jpg
FOcdPzU.jpg
uzVGyIt.jpg
de2518d281372bda398eb29317f04ea8.jpg
d1c2932cc2485ef8967cf8ff4f2ed87a.jpg
cuj5CqF.jpg
0ainf6n.jpg
xxmGuwg.jpg
Fc1EBVR.jpg
BVKcvix.png
a7Y53CN.jpg
mlrXgQF.jpg
fHeVZlt.jpg
UTMLuf7.jpg
dxzCSge.jpg
wfxBi4b.jpg
KWwDDg4.jpg
zlGMMG3.jpg
FCP6NBW.jpg

Start Again
A change. A new beginning. Cop decided they both needed that after the year they had. For one, Ex-Con had been put away. A youth and former foster kid, he still had his whole life ahead of him. For Cop himself, well, a bad breakup had left him mental for a while, but he would rather not think about it. He bought them a new place. It was a gamble, but Ex-Con agreed to leave with him in the end. They packed their things and put the big city behind them.

A small town was what they needed, a place with a better sense of community and fewer troubles for a young man to tangle himself into.

Only it wouldn't be so new, not to Cop. As it turns out, Son lives there, too. Cop left him and his mother years ago when he could no longer deny his sexuality, and he hasn't spoken to either of them since. A fateful encounter shakes all three of their worlds. It's not a good look when the man who gave Son life is playing house with another boy, some fake, subpar replacement with a record.

Cop wants to capitalize on the opportunity, to get to know Son again, if only Son will warm up to it, and if Son and Ex-Con can learn to get along.

Will Play: Cop and Ex-Con, with the intent being that Son and Ex-Con becoming a pairing, but expanding the cast and giving them other love interests would be cool, too
Other Notes: The focus is going to be on the three males and their relationships as they adapt to the situation they find themselves in. Ex-Con and Son, whether they are ready to admit to it or not, both want Cop in their lives. The other boy being in the picture makes them insecure, exacerbated, at least in Son's case, by the fact that Ex-Con is suddenly there and "invading" other parts of Son's life. Son does want to get to know the dad who abandoned him, but he might be resistant to it initially.

Son and Ex-Con should be 18-21. They could be seniors, or maybe juniors, in high school, a student (Son) and a worker (Ex-Con) in college, two dudes working at the same place, or something else that requires them to interact away from Cop.

Ex-Con makes questionable decisions and has some delinquent tendencies. It's not necessarily all he is, but ideally, Son would look better/cleaner in comparison, so that the two boys have different perspectives and backgrounds. Beyond that, Son is open to creative interpretation. Flaws are dandy and can help with conflict. Inner conflicts/demons are juicy.

I'd be open to playing a soon-to-be-ex for Son, for the funsies, or a separate love interest if Son and Ex-Con isn't in the cards. Also, if a partner would be willing, I would love a romantic interest for Cop. That role is pretty open. Cop has baggage, but what kind of baggage, and how much that impacts the relationship, is negotiable.

Cop could have a different job if something else might work better for the story.

The fictional town will be at least half an hour away from any major city. Its population could be anywhere from 500 to 5,000. It could be a college town. Other details about the setting are open.

UK4Snvb.jpg
eBdija6.jpg
odwmGnx.jpg
D6QQgzL.jpg
3MZtvsg.jpg

nNm1Gqh.jpg
baV7GVH.jpg
O8poK47.jpg
lsfRbgR.jpg
ZCJ1byc.jpg

2245fb57a017f1361b6a7d64e83334f3.jpg
c17027f2fe6598b5ff87b63807699431.jpg
1ee0091112b9cf17f6935ff7b21bfa3b.jpg
aad01566541c0f10987a7af512fa7053.jpg
c0a90e4aab7c05052ab294db1d215049.jpg

x6iLwhH.jpg
B9xiXgG.jpg
d3PUXbk.jpg
tmpCfse.jpg
PHH4U7x.jpg
The primary goal is for a partner to be happy with the face claim they use for Son. If none of the below for Cop work well with Son's look, I'm open to searching some more or taking suggestions. The intended vibe is a man who is amicable and not overly rigid, while appearing to be old enough to have a young adult son. The below are just the ones from my collection who meet that criteria while also appearing to be suitable for a cop.

GwyUjcG.jpg
Xw2cuZC.jpg
EujFwEn.jpg
S8Ibd4n.jpg
5PHHM3J.jpg
AbKwfmd.png

97xiukk.jpg
VNqtqzM.jpg
R1Jy3kx.jpg
5TwhQRZ.jpg
WWaGCjT.jpg
u7EzDyf.jpg

wfxBi4b.jpg
rW62zhi.jpg
IPCUzt6.jpg

Fc1EBVR.jpg
WDwsAtZ.jpg
bVpsI0j.jpg

Troubling Times
Character B had been working on the Pratchett farm for about a decade or so. He supposed that made him like family. He ate supper with them, they allowed him to be a part of their holidays, and he watched Character A grow up. Maybe Character A even flew from the nest, if for a while, maybe for college or the military or to live a little, but if he did, well, recently he returned.

When one's father was diagnosed with cancer, it was time for the family to come together. The news didn't promise much, maybe a few months at most. They would fight it--of course they would, because not a single Pratchett had it in their nature to call it quits. Still, Character A's dad was nothing if not a practical man. If the doctor's prognosis turned out to be accurate, someone had to be ready to fill in the boots he'd leave behind. His wife was capable of shouldering some of the responsibility, but not alone. The rest would have to fall on Character A, the oldest child.

It would be a trying time for the young man. Character B had always been there, maybe like a brother or more like a thorn in the side. Probably that wouldn't change. But sometimes feelings emerge through the vulnerabilities, and when they grab you by the reigns, sometimes you can't help but to act.

Will Play: Either character, with a slight preference for Character B.
Other Notes: I think Character A should be 21-27, and Character B should be at least 28.

md8NZ7Z.jpg
tZy3ypD.jpg
r0PgLwi.jpg
2z8HcmR.jpg
ugWMz5I.jpg
KAzVm2i.png
bWxgVqc.jpg
vDMJClI.jpg
7gTYjYL.jpg
m197uLd.jpg

rrACyns.jpg
jamxYPs.jpg
KAwRTRo.jpg
PVk7CW4.jpg
hEv8lsR.jpg
IPCUzt6.jpg
qD3n5zY.jpg
uzVGyIt.jpg
Q5rgNJm.jpg
CYddRGm.jpg
71yALWI.jpg
ifjoTbj.jpg
o3Tm1l1.jpg

Love Behind Barn Doors
The weddin' bells are drawing near! Character A is getting married! It has been a whirlwind romance from the start. No doubt exists in his mind that Sam is the one. He asks Character B to be his best man, the guy who has worked on the Pratchett farm for a while now. He's like family.

Except he isn't aware of the deeper feelings Character B harbors. Character B didn't mean no harm, honest, but they share a moment and suddenly those feelings spring on him like a snake in the grass. He acts. He kisses Character A. Now there's a new whirlwind kicking up.

Will Play: Either character. I would be happy to play Sam, regardless of their gender, if playing Character B.
Other Notes: I think Character A should be 21-27, and Character B should be at least 28.

If needed, Character A could have left for a period of time.

Sam could be male or female, and their name can of course change.

D9niUIY.jpg
bSovf9P.jpg
5b90a934076cdf10710aa487b752bf01.jpg
cYXSDnQ.jpg
vDMJClI.jpg
7gTYjYL.jpg
MQmEBLq.jpg
0xpIN3M.jpg
Q5rgNJm.jpg

rrACyns.jpg
jamxYPs.jpg
PVk7CW4.jpg
c7EJmSH.jpg
UTMLuf7.jpg
rW62zhi.jpg
qD3n5zY.jpg
uzVGyIt.jpg
Q5rgNJm.jpg
CYddRGm.jpg
ifjoTbj.jpg
c3WAAj1.jpg
o3Tm1l1.jpg

Save the Ranch
Character B's grandpa passed away from natural causes while he slept in his own bed, the way he would have wanted it. It offered a bittersweet sentiment to those who mourned the loss of life, and for those greedier souls, it meant it was time to read the will. More importantly, they would all learn who would gain ownership of the ranch.

The news surprised them. It was Character A, the grandson everyone overlooked, who held a dead-end job and never seemed like the type to amount to more than a hill of beans. The old man probably had a good ol' hoot as he witnessed their reactions from up in heaven. But to him, who else? Not his ungrateful children, who left him to live in the suburbs; not the government; and most certainly not McCreary from the neighboring ranch. Not even over his dead body. They could kiss his ass. The ranch had to remain within the family, and if there was any chance of ensuring that, it would be through Character A, whether the boy himself recognized it or not.

Version 1:

Most of the hands didn't stick around. As far as they knew, none of Mr. Harrison's family had an iota of interest in keeping a ranch that was already in rocky territory. They had a better chance elsewhere. Not Character B. He didn't know a lot about this Character A fella, much less why Mr. Harrison chose him, and it might have left him rather miffed, but he reckoned the old man was a little more than a stubborn fool. What he did know was that Mr. Harrison specifically asked him to ensure Character A took over the ranch, that no one, not even Character A himself, pressured him into selling, and to help him keep the ranch in operation. So Character B would, even if they wound up butting heads. After all, he owed his former employer. Here was hoping he wasn't wasting his time.

Version 2:

Truth be told, Character A's jaw dropped as much as anyone else's when the will was read. Who? Him? A rancher? But the more he thought about it, the better it sounded. It offered a chance to start new. He saw appeal in leaving the city and getting closer to nature. His friends called him crazy, but he would show them. So he packed his bags and moved. The only thing was, the hands Character A's grandpa employed all left. He needed help. The first guy to show interest and who sounded capable enough was hired on the spot. Only time would tell if he was the right choice.

Will Play: Either character, with a slight preference for Character B.

AhzewyB.jpg
elLFtrD.jpg
8d4298d00a077809dd55bb7ab84df2c3.jpg
GE2ZIeF.jpg
vDMJClI.jpg
Vn3Rkab.jpg
EI8jiYT.jpg

UwlK3Jr.jpg
cf4VASO.jpg
XFZS5s7.jpg
jamxYPs.jpg
PVk7CW4.jpg