• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice [Exalted] O Brave New World (OOC)

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I don't know what the copyright rules are on RPNation, nor under what license the artist released that piece, but I certainly won't report you for anything.

Eh. I'll probably just give a text description of my character instead. I get more creative freedom that way. That, and I want to develop my writing technique when it comes to describing characters.

More than stepping out of character creation with a Third Circle Demon as an Ally? It never hurts to ask for more, but that's some pretty sweet value for money. Excellent use of the principle of asking for forgiveness rather than permission.

Lol Erembour as an ally was actually much more than I was expecting. Thus I jumped on the 5merit cost for it. But I was more meaning the mutation thing in regards to the limit price tag. Which again, I don't mind. Cause it can doubly be explained with Erembour inside making it harder to keep the great curse at bay.

However! My understanding of Exalted essentially boils down to "Go Big or go Home!"

Sure playing mutant furry witch with a big gun is fun... but if the option arises to have a "mutant furry witch jinchuriki with a big gun" arises, then if i don't take it then I'd have to go home.

Regardless of where it ends, I was hoping for an arc of studying Hazel's condition in search of treatments. Both in terms of the mutations and the bound Erembor. I suspect that Erembor would have to be dealt with first though.

Out of character, my thought has been that the moonsilver tattoos only nullify exterior forces from changing the Lunar's shape, but not interior ones. In simple terms, the solution would be some sort of ritual or quest to unlock either a new shapeshifting charm or perhaps even an evocation of the tattoos themselves to flush out Wyld influence. Though I suspect a Lunar might prefer digesting and consuming it to fuel yet another new power rather than leaving them on the ground like droppings woven of dreams and nightmares.

Given the significance of that sort of development, it would have to be a difficult hurdle to overcome. Were something like that attempted while the Demon was still present the results would likely be most unfortunate. Probably akin to handing Sauron his ring back if a roll went poorly enough.

On the note of narrative hooks, we all still need to add Aspects for compels and tags with Fate points and Flags for gaining XP.

And Haze would be more than happy to share what she knows. She would love to be able to talk about magic and the like with someone who has an interest in it.

I think we could easily make an arc where he gets to study the Erembour and her own mutations. And while Hazel likely has never tried to mark someone with moonsilver tattoos, I think it would be safe to assume she studied enough to know how. Even if only to understand the magic behind the symbols and marking and how the patterns relate to the power of them.

A few other complications to think about though.

The moonsilver tattoos keep one from mutating further... but it is also logical to assume they won't let it reverse given that they also prevent any other types of shapeshifting aside from lunar powers.

Therefore it might be required to remove the moonsilver tattoos to reverse such mutations as that those mutations have been essentially locked as her human form.

And should the moonsilver tattoos be removed, How would Hazel handle that? Not just physically but mentally? As she does have a fear of becoming a chimera, removal of tattoos would open the door to become one and she is only two steps away. Even if they are far from the wyld.

Erembour effecting the outcome is indeed a possibility. But the question to ask is how intrinsically sealed to Hazel is she?

The seal was essentially akin to third circle magic. But unlike the prior sealed vessel, Hazel is obviously not a prison made of magical materials. Flesh is much weaker than jade or orichalcum. And bone makes brittle walls. I will assume that Hazel can shape shift without troubles from Erembour... so changes of the body wouldn't have much effect on the prison. So that would leave the spirit and soul as the vessel. Right? And if thats the case, how deeply tied to Hazel is she in this imprisonment?

And if Erembour is indeed tied to a reincarnation prison... when Hazel is to die... would Erembour be freed? Would Erembour travel with Hazel to her next reincarnation? Or would Hazel be drug to Malfeas with Erembour and reincarnate as something more infernal? Or worse?
Assuming she wants to be 'cured'! But if so, then that sounds great.

Hazel hates the way she looks. To be able to look like herself again she would consider a miracle. While there are methods of stealing human faces, she doesn't have the heart to murder someone to do it.

Last edited:
As for aspects! I think this will do for Hazel

Aspects
Spitefully Stubborn
Eccentric
Ambitious
Malfean Princess
Self-Conscious

But I also think Compels sound like a lot of fun. So I wouldn't be adverse to folks throwing Compels at me that just "seem like Hazel".

Assuming she wants to be 'cured'! But if so, then that sounds great.
Oh of course. It could be less about the cure itself but the advancement of knowledge and acquiring the power to choose.

Eh. I'll probably just give a text description of my character instead. I get more creative freedom that way. That, and I want to develop my writing technique when it comes to describing characters.
I have the same struggle with finding art for characters I want to play. Rather than a paragraph to build my writing skills, I've picked up drawing again. I've still got a lot of practice to go before I start throwing out drawings here though.

Oh of course. It could be less about the cure itself but the advancement of knowledge and acquiring the power to choose.

I have the same struggle with finding art for characters I want to play. Rather than a paragraph to build my writing skills, I've picked up drawing again. I've still got a lot of practice to go before I start throwing out drawings here though.
Need some help finding a picture? I always like having an excuse to look for character art.

Need some help finding a picture? I always like having an excuse to look for character art.
I'm wanting to start using my own drawings soon so I'd hate to get someone else to search, but If nothing else I can use it for my own art practice.

Last edited:
So your Aspects tell us what kind of story your character is in - what sorts of drama they'll face, obstacles they'll overcome, and triumphs they'll earn. The Flags tell us what about your character most excites you as a player. The stuff you were excited to do, share, and experience when you came up with them, and the new things you discover you're excited for as we play. I want to include as much of that as possible. Ideally we never do anything one or more people aren't really excited about, because if no one's excited to do it what are we even doing here? There's one missing bit of information I'd like, though, and that's what each of you loves about Exalted the game.

Are you here for people getting kung-fu kicked through walls and brushing it off? Dramas that span Ages and reincarnations? Philosophical debates about the nature of free will with the liver of the concept of Hierarchy? Sword & Sorcery (What is good in life?)? Magitech (I thought Final Fantasy was an instructional guide.)? Celestial Harem Style (What do you mean I 'shouldn't collect antagonists like Pokemon'? 'Shouldn't' is a coward's word! Haven't you ever heard of 'Defeat Equals Friendship'?)? Punching Volcanoes in the face to save villages (And it's always volcanoes. You sing hurricanes softly to sleep, but you always punch volcanoes. It's a rough gig.)? Breaking and fixing fundamental principles of the universe ('Yes, yes, I know Reincarnation is still broken. It's on my list! ... Fine! Yes! Today! ... So needy. ... Nothing!')? Being worshipped like a god (You say, 'escapist power fantasy' like it's a bad thing.)?

Whatever it is it would be good to know so I can ensure as much of that thing happens as possible.

But I also think Compels sound like a lot of fun. So I wouldn't be adverse to folks throwing Compels at me that just "seem like Hazel".

Aspects are very much meant to be a helpful guide to the sorts of Compels you want others (including me) to throw at you. They're not meant to be a cage. It's absolutely valid to throw a Compel out if it sounds like that character to you, you just have to be aware there's a much greater chance it won't fit or be accepted if you aim far outside the places the player has advertised they want their drama. Strong Intimacies and Limit Triggers are also useful guides.

These Aspects are the only thing that I need for Renna. Just need to figure out what they will be.

I know that Psy and I know one another prior to game start, but what of the rest of us? Will we have met?

D. Rex D. Rex I was thinking that our characters would be a good pair for the 2 xp for the rivalry/negative relation. What do you think?

So your Aspects tell us what kind of story your character is in - what sorts of drama they'll face, obstacles they'll overcome, and triumphs they'll earn. The Flags tell us what about your character most excites you as a player. The stuff you were excited to do, share, and experience when you came up with them, and the new things you discover you're excited for as we play. I want to include as much of that as possible. Ideally we never do anything one or more people aren't really excited about, because if no one's excited to do it what are we even doing here? There's one missing bit of information I'd like, though, and that's what each of you loves about Exalted the game.

Are you here for people getting kung-fu kicked through walls and brushing it off? Dramas that span Ages and reincarnations? Philosophical debates about the nature of free will with the liver of the concept of Hierarchy? Sword & Sorcery (What is good in life?)? Magitech (I thought Final Fantasy was an instructional guide.)? Celestial Harem Style (What do you mean I 'shouldn't collect antagonists like Pokemon'? 'Shouldn't' is a coward's word! Haven't you ever heard of 'Defeat Equals Friendship'?)? Punching Volcanoes in the face to save villages (And it's always volcanoes. You sing hurricanes softly to sleep, but you always punch volcanoes. It's a rough gig.)? Breaking and fixing fundamental principles of the universe ('Yes, yes, I know Reincarnation is still broken. It's on my list! ... Fine! Yes! Today! ... So needy. ... Nothing!')? Being worshipped like a god (You say, 'escapist power fantasy' like it's a bad thing.)?

Whatever it is it would be good to know so I can ensure as much of that thing happens as possible.

Aspects are very much meant to be a helpful guide to the sorts of Compels you want others (including me) to throw at you. They're not meant to be a cage. It's absolutely valid to throw a Compel out if it sounds like that character to you, you just have to be aware there's a much greater chance it won't fit or be accepted if you aim far outside the places the player has advertised they want their drama. Strong Intimacies and Limit Triggers are also useful guides.

All of that and more, Random!

I know that Psy and I know one another prior to game start, but what of the rest of us? Will we have met?

D. Rex D. Rex I was thinking that our characters would be a good pair for the 2 xp for the rivalry/negative relation. What do you think?

D. Rex D. Rex I'd be in the same boat as Sherwood with that if you are up to it.

I think I got just the idea. I'm willing to be the negative relation to yall both. I'll explain my idea tomorrow. Should work out well and still keep relative civility between the circle.

Random Word Random Word given your suggestion of crafts by specialty, does this rewrite have your approval?

Craft Rewrite - Exalted 3e

I haven't had much time to shop around with others, but so far I like this one. It stays close to the original systems and charms while cutting some complexity and vague descriptions.

given your suggestion of crafts by specialty, does this rewrite have your approval?

I like Sanctaphrax and BlueWinds, and I don't see anything that leaps out to me as terrible. You can give that one a go, and if we find problems we'll fix them or find an alternative.

Lore ●●●●● (Flora, Fauna, Minerals)

I am the very model of the modern Solar-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of Varangia, and I quote the fights historical
From Futile Blood to Mishaka, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
Hmmm... lot o' news, lot o'news... Aha!
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Solar-General.

Hahaha, at the time I'd thought primarily about declaring facts about different materials and reagents thus making the character a bit of a trivia nerd. That parallel here is sadly an unintended byproduct.

I'd been wondering if I should shift that to include historical and cultural matters as well. Perhaps that can be a natural development.

Alrighty, sorry bout that. Kids were being a bugger to get to bed.

We can tie the negatives together between the char.

Sherwood Sherwood
I think what Sherwood mentioned about rivalry is a good starting point.

I think a good point of contention here could be a bit of rivalry between advisors.

The the of hating yozi's should not be that strong to overpower what Hazel offers, but it does grant the opportunity to view her ways with distaste.

Let us place Hazel as sort of an advisor to our Ruler specifically that of arcane matters, with Renna being a genius general and military tactician she too would also carry influence as an advisor of related ways.

Now, Renna isn't too keen on Hazel having the ear of the ruler. Seeing the girl as compromised by infernal relations. However, Renna would be able to tell that Hazel does have good intentions even if her ways are distasteful.

The dynamic would be along the lines of a rivalry of martial vs magical. Each seeing their own methods as superior. With Renna trying to keep the ruler out of trouble by minimizing the potential interactions with demons and from people thinking she is in league with them. And Hazel trying to show that she can do great good with magic despite the nature of herself. Their disputes boiling down to how they believe the best way to handle certain obstacles and situations.

This gives them a dynamic of a competitive nature towards each other rather than one born of ill will. Not only would it push them to be better themselves. But could lead them to respect each other and want to be better for each other. Further more! This slight division would allow a more frequent opportunity for Jaydude to make meaningful choices as leader.

Rather than being in agreement and us feeling like we are on a bit of rails as a party. We emphasize Jaydude in the role he is in. Through our rivalry, we present choices that could effect the path of a scene. With the unchosen char going along begrudgingly with the smug winner. And Jaydude feeling like choices are making an impact rather than options being the same with different coats of paint.

As well! Guess us some narrative opportunities on if they have falling out, or moments were they truly working together. As well as small moments like Hazel trying to make Renna jealous by trying to flirt with handsome elephant, or Renna trying to annoy Hazel in similar fashions.

Psychie Psychie
Ours is a bit simpler. While Morrolan can get over the whole demon think, being a Lunar he is well familiar with the likes of Raksi and Neith and other rabid lunar magicians. And it would not be far fetched to see Hazel as just a baby version of them. Hazel is just a snake in the grass, a ticking time bomb. She will get too big for her britches and start getting corrupted with power. Sorcery seems to lead one down a path of bad and immoral decisions and Hazel seems to have a headstart. She's arrogant, petulant, and acts like a 19yo girl. Not to mention demomically possessed. Not any different from all the other sorcerers in this land.

Yeah, no. Hazel is trouble. Unfortunately the ruler seems to trust her Renna for whatever reason sees Hazel as not a COMPLETELY bad egg. Still, there is plenty of reason for Morrolan to aggressively keep his eye on her like she was a furry Jafar.

Thankfully for us, Morrolan doesn't seem the type to sabotage the efforts of the circle due to a personal irritation. So could work with her even if he might be difficult about it.

This leads to a friction heaving dynamic between these two. But since each of them have the same goal, any actual hatred is unlikely.

What it does do is give opportunity for character development. Not just for them to come to an understanding. But come to eventually become friends. Through time and working together it becomes one of those tropes of "opposites who hate each other eventually become good friends" trope. More than that, help each other become better. For example, Hazel is still young. Having a stronger older moral compass as a guide would help her in the long run, especially if they don't put up with her crap. And in turn make find a way to help Morrolan set the world of sorcery on a path that repairs whatever distrust it sowed in him. Like establishing a code of conduct for sorcerers so that they can strive to be honorable and trustworthy.

Just a question for Random Word Random Word . How likely is it that we are going to be using my War Charms? If there is little chance of us doing so, I would rather swap one or both out for something else.

How likely is it that we are going to be using my War Charms?

I want to stress this: You have a huge amount of control over the story here. You don't have to ask me, 'Will I have opportunities to use War Charms?'. You can literally write a Flag that says, "I want to fight in a huge pitched battle." "I want a scene where I plan a campaign that conquers a nation." etc etc. If you have an Aspect that says, "The Greatest General of this Age" or "Lord of War" or "Bloodspattered Queen of the Battlefield Astride a Gore-shod Beast that Heralds the End of All Things" you are saying that is central to your story, and you want challenges centred around that (and with that last one maybe that you want to become an Abyssal). You can literally walk up in scene one and have you and your hundred cavalry deliver a formal declaration of war against the Sassarin Principate and go from there (and if you do, and it reflects one of your Aspects or Defining Intimacies, you can immediately claim a Self-Compel and your 2 XP and a Fate Point). I can't promise that war will go well for you with only a hundred cavalry behind you and no power base, but I can promise you'll get so much use out of your War Charms.

What I'm saying is if you want every single one of your scenes in this campaign to be a battle in which you can use War Charms, you can make that happen by ensuring every Flag you write and every Goal you sign up for involves you fighting in a battle. It will just be one long gory montage of you rampaging from one battlefield to the next, and that could be awesome if that's the theme you're going for.

I believe jaydude jaydude intends to lead his clan to dominate the entire valley, and perhaps most of the Direction. While it is possible to do that without any war, it's unlikely.

You've already taken Command, and centred your entire character around a mercenary company, so there's a huge amount of narrative impetus in your character's story towards fighting battles. If over the entirety of your character's story they never fought a battle, that would be weird. The audience would be surprised if they read that story, always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Your troops would become restless and quite possibly desert. They're here for battle and glory and plunder after all.

Last edited:
I do have a question about your mercenary company, though. I notice Sherwood Sherwood took the Command merit to represent the remnants of Psychie Psychie 's old mercenary company that flocked to Renna's banner when she Big Damn Hero'd her way onto the scene. It sounds like Renna's Remnants are primarily an elite cavalry unit, but the unit Mustang (Would have been a great name for a Cavalry officer) Morrolan joined was clearly an infantry company (Morrolan was poor and certainly didn't own a horse, and was recruited primarily as a strong back that could stand where he was told and hold a spear).

Was the unit a mix of conscript infantry and an elite core of cavalry? It had at least two Outcaste Terrestrials among its ranks, suggesting a level of wealth and prestige that could justify Elite Drill on the cavalry. It strikes me as odd, then, that the cavalry (presumably not under the command of Morrolan, who seems to have been an infantry sergeant) rallied to Renna's banner while even Morrolan's own infantry squad opted to instead rally to a rival.

I'm definitely going to have to make one of my aspects "Prodigal Lunar Sorceress of the Ages that makes Solars weep with Envy"

Hazel is aware of the ceiling of Lunar exaltations regarding sorcery in that they can't achieve the wonders of the Solar Circle. But she is dissatisfied, for Luna is the goddess of Sorcery! She believes that Luma has tasked her to be the best she can be, and to her that means rivaling the greatest Solar sorcerers and even surpassing them. That if she can't break into the Solar Circle then she will embody that aspect of Luna and create a new circle to stand as a testament to Luna's mastery, passion, and power in the arcane ways.

I do have a question about your mercenary company, though. I notice Sherwood Sherwood took the Command merit to represent the remnants of Psychie Psychie 's old mercenary company that flocked to Renna's banner when she Big Damn Hero'd her way onto the scene. It sounds like Renna's Remnants are primarily an elite cavalry unit, but the unit Mustang (Would have been a great name for a Cavalry officer) Morrolan joined was clearly an infantry company (Morrolan was poor and certainly didn't own a horse, and was recruited primarily as a strong back that could stand where he was told and hold a spear).

Was the unit a mix of conscript infantry and an elite core of cavalry? It had at least two Outcaste Terrestrials among its ranks, suggesting a level of wealth and prestige that could justify Elite Drill on the cavalry. It strikes me as odd, then, that the cavalry (presumably not under the command of Morrolan, who seems to have been an infantry sergeant) rallied to Renna's banner while even Morrolan's own infantry squad opted to instead rally to a rival.
I am thinking that the company is going to be a mixed bag of foot and horse soldiers, and with Renna's 5 Cha and her Oratory Charms, she was able to sway the bulk of the soldiers into following her. Morrolan was the leader of the infantry part of the company, and the foot soldiers were his responsibility so many of them will stick around, making the company a dual force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back