• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Nation Building Chronicles of Aldelor ooc

So, I assume that I can add the 2.5 points from my tech bonus now? Oh, and can I make the teleportation post, and a stat-enhancing post in one post, I don't really feel like wasting a turn to do the two things.

It still feels fair to combine two posts in one. Wasting a turn so that I can be frivolous doesn't seem right. Wait, is it 25 turns for everyone, or 25 turns for each one of us?

25 turns for everyone and the 25 turns are for setting up your kingdom in others words advancing it

Nah, not wasting what could be done in a turn on two, it just feels not fair for everyone else.

Not sure how not posting helps anyone because by doing this you won't post at all till the second page

It still feels fair to combine two posts in one. Wasting a turn so that I can be frivolous doesn't seem right.
I wouldn't call character development frivolous, because from my point of view that's the most important part, but I think I understand your complaint. I hope QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel will reward the players who focus as much on their nation's story and characters as other players do on playing the game.

If I can be honest, I don't find the actual game of most nation builders to be worth my time. Whereas suspenseful political theater, slow-burning romances, and characters overcoming great personal (not national) conflicts are worth my time.

Last edited:
Oh, looks like I just misunderstood what's going on in the fairy realm

So, I assume that I can add the 2.5 points from my tech bonus now? Oh, and can I make the teleportation post, and a stat-enhancing post in one post, I don't really feel like wasting a turn to do the two things.

Yes and yes. The stat adding doesn't have to be story tied, but it can be. Tech advancement is a stat that helps the nation progress a bit faster hence the additional stats in any category.

I think you have 24 posts till the first convergence which is the teleport

Not a teleport. It's a 10 yrs time-skip (nations can develop/change rp-wise. Just not stat wise). It's also optional (attending a world king meeting is the choice of the king). Fairy king just wants to check on the state of the fairies.

I wouldn't call character development frivolous, because from my point of view that's the most important part, but I think I understand your calslaint. I hope QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel will reward the players who focus as much on their nation's story and characters as other players do on playing the game.

If I can be honest, I don't find the actual game of most nation builders to be worth my time. Whereas suspenseful political theater, slow-burning romances, and characters overcoming great personal (not national) conflicts are worth my time.

I'd like to but, for now, nothing but better enjoyment of the rp. I'll be focusing on the story myself. The game was just designed so that there is a somewhat fair way to guage play conflicts/ gm induced conflicts. It also adds an interesting risk factor and forces players to write out how their nation advances if they want the stats. It's moderately entertaining for me to see how Arran'ak's people die and come back to life for population growth/stability--an undying kingdom (so long as priests with holy magic aren't introduced^^). Whether a player focuses on advancing their nation or interesting drama is on them and how they like to play. Writing by oneself is great and all, but it can get a bit lonely as well.

Last edited:
It still feels fair to combine two posts in one. Wasting a turn so that I can be frivolous doesn't seem right. Wait, is it 25 turns for everyone, or 25 turns for each one of us?

25 posts for everyone. Players will have to collaborate in order for everyone to finish the arc in the way they want, but I wouldn't worry too much about being frivolous. It's when frivolousness comes together that a good story is born.

I'd like to but, for now, nothing but better enjoyment of the rp. I'll be focusing on the story myself.
It's fine, even desirable, to have some GM story direction, but if you don't allow space for individual character and nation story arcs, then everyone's posts will start to read very similar. Ceaseless stat bumping will be the priority of posts instead of political intrigue and drama. At which point the roleplay will more closely resemble Sid Meier's Civilization—a turn grind game with little emotional & narrative stakes—than Game of Thrones, where the focus is on the characters.

It's fine, even desirable, to have some GM story direction, but if you don't allow space for individual character and nation story arcs, then everyone's posts will start to read very similar. Ceaseless stat bumping will be the priority of posts instead of political intrigue and drama. At which point the roleplay will more closely resemble Sid Meier's Civilization—a turn grind game with little emotional & narrative stakes—than Game of Thrones, where the focus is on the characters.

Haha, I was talking about being more focused on Trotopolis's story/political stuffs rather than stats^^; I don't have any direction other than the plots players come up with themselves and the dice in which I will make "fun" things happen. I'll admit, I was hoping to roll around the 40ish 50ish for the opening arc, but...*shrug* 25 is doable if players work together and the 1st arc just sets the stage for a nation's foundation so it doesn't have to be terribly long. The post limit is just there so there's a mechanical procedure for timeskips (based on luck, which I'll admit doesn't help good story-writing) but it'll give players something to look forward to when things go stale...and hopefully push the rp through the tough dry times that I suspect will happen when individual posts become predominant.

Though you do make a good point. I'll think more on how I can promote drama and intrigue...and I can certainly be convinced to create a separate thread for players to continue where they left off if they aren't done writing all they want (if not extend the arc). I already know that I'm re-rolling if I hit 10 or below for an arc.

Last edited:
Though you do make a good point. I'll think more on how I can promote drama and intrigue...and I can certainly be convinced to create a separate thread for players to continue where they left off if they aren't done writing all they want (if not extend the arc).
The only way I foresee that you can promote such content, is to reward it like you reward obvious stat bump content. Otherwise players who spend posts on character drama will quickly be left behind (in terms of stats) players who don't.

For an example, Karcen stated they'd like their country to host a ball for the kings and queens of other nations. I think that's a great idea. There will likely be ample opportunity there for very interesting scenes to unfold. But if players have to worry about including stat bumping content in every post, then much of the ball's narrative potential will go to waste. Allow space for romance, and petty rivalries, comedic moments, and subtle friendships to grow. Sure political dealings will undoubtedly play out there, but so should social dealings. And the social dealings will often be more memorable than the all-too-obvious and brass tax political ones. And players, imo, shouldn't be penalized for going that route.

The only way I foresee that you can promote such content, is to reward it like you reward obvious stat bump content. Otherwise players who spend posts on character drama will quickly be left behind (in terms of stats) players who don't.

Figuring out how to do that is the hard part. All the stat bumps make sense to me and I don't want to just say social interaction with another player, + X stat randomly. I can try to create another stat, but then I'd have to figure out what it's used for. There's also a sandbox element to players who like playing solo. Not giving a reward also isn't really a penalty unless the player themselves see the rp as a competition (kinda want that just a bit. Not too much else it'd be as you described, but games and randomness do make things a little more fun), in which case, they'd be focused on bumping stats regardless.Choosing a player mvp in each arc, based on most interesting nation story and awarding rewards then is more likable of an idea to me...but it might also lead to accusations of favoritism. Plus, I'd have to think of a criteria.

Yes...I shall have to do a lot of thinking.

Last edited:
No matter the roleplay, my first priority is to be apart of something that I enjoying writing for, and just as important, enjoy reading other players' content. Having said that, I don't trust this is the right nation builder for me, so I'm going to back out. No hard feelings and best of luck with this. And if you'd like to continue to use the map you have my blessing.

No matter the roleplay, my first priority is to be apart of something that I enjoying writing for, and just as important, enjoy reading other players' content. Having said that, I don't trust this is the right nation builder for me, so I'm going to back out. No hard feelings and best of luck with this. And if you'd like to continue to use the map you have my blessing.

It's a real pity to see you go considering how much you've invested in the rp thus far (the slideshow was cool), but I understand. Thanks for letting us use the map. Do I have your permission to use the dwarven kingdom of Cryogane as an npc for a random event roll (not necessarily soon, or even ever, but just in case)? Feels like such a waste to have Megrim show up once in the rp and never show up again. However, I shall respect your wishes in regards to your creation. No hard feelings. I hope you find an rp that suits your needs.

You have my permission to use any of my content however you see fit. I'll likely repackage Cryogane into a future roleplay, so don't worry about my investment.

You have my permission to use any of my content however you see fit. I'll likely repackage Cryogane into a future roleplay, so don't worry about my investment.

I'll probably worry nonetheless. Regardless, thanks for the brief interest and your advice does give me new insight about this rp and how I'll run it. Finding the right balance between story and game has always been a step towards the rp I'm aiming for. We'll see how long my first attempt at nation building lasts.

It pained me too ;-; But I shall stick around until no one's left standing. That's a gm's job. Not that I haven't failed my own rps before...

Levi'anth post is wip, but I did get up the sea serpents. I added them to the npc posts. Nothing in there is set in stone (I just really like playing with the made up language to name things), so let me know if anyone wants anything changed or added in there.

Elucid Elucid
Nicely written, though it's not really a 'Convergence' so to speak. Not to say your fairy can't call it that, this is just for reference. Your character just gets teleported to the fairy realm to perform the 1st kings ritual(bonding with a fairy) for the creation of a kingdom (or at least a promise to so), which is traditionally held at King's Cradle . Haven't thought of a name for the event yet tbh. That's why its only the new, potential, kings that were teleported (not like your fairy can do anything if the king really doesn't want to make one^^). In the 'Convergence of Kings', every king in Aldelor who has a fairy in their kingdom is invited gather if they desire.

Levi'anth post is wip, but I did get up the sea serpents. I added them to the npc posts. Nothing in there is set in stone (I just really like playing with the made up language to name things), so let me know if anyone wants anything changed or added in there.

No problems with it. I'll be happy to make use of some of them for an event roll :horns:

1) Is fairy realm time 1:1 real world time?
2) Can a fairy bring someone who isn't king into the fairy realm, either be their own choice or by the will of their king?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back