• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter 3: Beyond the Portal

Once more, the ooze presents itself as a rather easy target - and Renna certainly takes advantage. There is little resistance as the heavy sword cuts through the slime, inflicting a rather deep gap in the process. Parts of it close up immediately, but some damage still remains visible.

Initiative order:
21 Wren
17 Renna
-> 15 Baird
13 Veskassdak
13 Ooze
4 ?

Clockwork Syringe Clockwork Syringe is up next.

Out of arcane casting ability and scrolls, Baird had no other option than to use the crossbow. Taking it off his back, Baird aims and fires.
13(forgot to add masterwork quality to the hit) to hit and 7 base damage to the slime if I hit.

The projectile easily hits the mark, piercing through the surface and diving into the slime. It does not pierce the entire thing, but gets stuck somewhere midway through - it'll probably get dissolved over the next few hours if you don't finish things here and now. The resulting hole quickly closes, showing little harm for your efforts.

Initiative order:
21 Wren
17 Renna
15 Baird
-> 13 Veskassdak
13 Ooze
4 ?

Dicer Dicer is up.

Upon seeing the reaction the slime thing had on being directly attacked, Veskassdak remembered that some of the slimes from his home swamp loved to envelop their prey, especially those foolhardy enough to approach to attack. Unslinging his bow he prepared to shoot his standard arrows since using the flight arrows made no sense for something this close. Taking a deep breath, he spoke in a steady voice, “Shurigrem heem korlas kles!” and began his rage. His yellow eyes turned to a scary blood red while his breathing increased. His muscles bulged as blood from his rage flooded them. The sturdy straps of his mithral breastplate armor held fast against the stress brought on by the sudden increase of musculature. The coloration of his back frill deepened in shade to the familiar dark green his rage always took them. His dorsal spike tips elongated and darkened to the same blood red color as his eyes. Taking aim, he releases the arrow to hopefully strike true and miss his companions.

Total 10 (Probably missed with a total 6 for shooting into melee)
Damage 11 (If it hit)

Entering rage free action AC 17; HP 69 of 69 remaining; DR 2/-; Fort save +9, Ref save +2, Will save +4; Speed 45 ft., Melee Attack bonus +12 bite damage 1d3+8, 2 claws damage 1d4+8; (If the slime is in melee combat with Renna or Wren, there will be a -4 penalty for shooting into melee combat) Range Attack bonus +6 +1 Adaptive, Darkwood Composite Longbow damage 1d8+7 rage duration remaining: 10 of 13 rounds.
1540612593582.png

Last edited:
The attempted shot is not the easiest, as Wren's movements are indeed in the way - and yet, the arrow hits the mark as the slime's only interest seems to be to devour those around it, showing no care for its own well-being. A mindless thing that takes the shot without the slightest reaction - you can see how the arrow goes deep within the ooze, though the hole seems to close quite quickly behind it. Perhaps a bit slower than before, at least?

You have little time to examine the result as the creature moves in a sudden burst of activity, surging forward in two directions at once - targeting both Wren and Renna as they are nearby. The rogue is quick enough on her feet to dodge the attack before it can hit her - and the attempt to follow her movement clearly affects the second attack as well, as the wobbly motion towards the paladin loses pretty much all of its momentum before it can even get close. As a result, neither of the two is harmed, and you are once more in prime position to strike.

Initiative order:
-> 21 Wren
17 Renna
15 Baird
13 Veskassdak
13 Ooze
4 ?

Sherwood Sherwood is up.

After the somewhat lackluster damage done last time, Wren hours to be able to do more to the ooze this time around.
Hit Points: 32
Melee Strike: +4 (+8 with lightweight weapons)
Ranged Strike: +8
Initiative: +6

Armor Class: 20 +1 vs Trap Attacks
Fort Save: +3
Reflex Save: +9 +1 vs Traps
Will Save: +3
Perception: +13 (+15 to Locate Traps)
Stealth: +12

Once more, the blades find their target, cutting through the thing with ease. The flames cause a similar reaction as last time, burning the slime as it cuts through the surface.

Initiative order:
21 Wren
--> 17 Renna
15 Baird
13 Veskassdak
13 Ooze
4 ?

Psychie Psychie is up next.

"Good hit, Wren! Let's see if we can't finish this thing off!" With that, Renna swings again, hoping to stop the anime from devouring them all.
Hit Points: 34
Lay on Hands: x2
Smite Evil: x2

Armor Class: 20 - Armor of Light Fortification
Melee Strike: +7
CMD 17
Fort Save: +9
Reflex Save: +6
Will Save: +9

Another heavy hit against the slime - going deep and cutting through another bubble of air, deflating the form of your foe. If you're not mistaken, it already moves even slower than in the beginning, and it takes more time for the wound to close up once more - certainly some hints that show that your efforts are actually having an impact.

21 Wren
17 Renna
--> 15 Baird
13 Veskassdak
13 Ooze
4 ?

Clockwork Syringe Clockwork Syringe is up.

Since the sorcerer reloads, the ooze has a moment to recover - not too much time, though, since Dicer Dicer 's Veskassdak is up next.

21 Wren
17 Renna
15 Baird
--> 13 Veskassdak
13 Ooze
4 ?

Seeing that his last shot had done some damage, Veskassdak took careful aim at the slime, focused his rage through his arrow, and released it to cause further harm to the ooze.

Total attack: 21
Total damage: 11

AC 17; HP 69 of 69 remaining; DR 2/-; Fort save +9, Ref save +2, Will save +4; Speed 45 ft., Melee Attack bonus +12 bite damage 1d3+8, 2 claws damage 1d4+8; (If the slime is in melee combat with Renna or Wren, there will be a -4 penalty for shooting into melee combat) Range Attack bonus +6 +1 Adaptive, Darkwood Composite Longbow damage 1d8+7 rage duration remaining: 9 of 13 rounds.
View attachment 496864

Once more, the arrow pierces through the goo, digging its way deep into the creature - this time, the slime only adapts slowly, barely closing the wound at all. It seems like you are getting somewhere.

In response, your foe surges forward towards Wren. The rogue is able to quickly step backwards, out of reach for the ugly masses - but that attack proves to be little more than a bait to catch Renna off-guard. With a sudden, unexpected movement, the ooze completely shifts directions, throwing itself against the paladin before she can even realize the threat. Heavy armor is of little help as its icy touch finds its way through gaps and holes too small to be found by conventional weapons - its cold embrace drains the warmth of her body within mere seconds, taking away the strength to resist. Shattered remains of panicked thoughts freeze in place as her consciousness dwindles, somewhere between icy pain and moist darkness - the entire attack came way too quick to even mentally call for Iomadae's aid.

Damn. Last time, that thing failed completely - this time, it actually confirmed a critical hit, against all odds, and pretty much maxed out its damage: 39 pts. Since that gets you below 0 hp, you'll have to stabilize, starting next turn. Unless something else happens, that is.

The others certainly see the attack, and how the paladin trips as she gets hit - you see her stumble backwards, still embraced by the slime, half-way dragged into its oozy masses. You can see how her body becomes limp, and that the slime does not seem inclined to pull away. Sherwood Sherwood 's Wren will be the first one able tot try and get her out of there...

Certainly outside of all of your attention, another movement can be heard. A wooden staff on stony ground, perhaps...

--> 21 Wren
17 Renna (39 dmg, -5hp)
15 Baird
13 Veskassdak
13 Ooze
4 wooden staff

Wren lets out a cry, "No! Renna! Baird, we have got to get her out of there! I'll cover you while you pull her out!" Knowing that her flaming sword seems to do more to the slime than a regular blade, she does another double strike trying to get the attention of the slime.
Hit Points: 32
Melee Strike: +4 (+8 with lightweight weapons)
Ranged Strike: +8
Initiative: +6

Armor Class: 20 +1 vs Trap Attacks
Fort Save: +3
Reflex Save: +9 +1 vs Traps
Will Save: +3
Perception: +13 (+15 to Locate Traps)
Stealth: +12

Just moments ago, the ooze even moved towards the rogue, clearly aware of her presence - now, driven by its instincts and with Renna at its mercy, it seems to have forgotten her existence, not reacting at the slightest as Wren steps forward, swords in hand. What initially might have been planned as an attack to draw its attention quickly turns into a golden opportunity to catch the thing off-guard. The icy sword is the first one to hit, already digging its way deep into the gooey mass - but it's the fiery one that does the real damage. Raised for a mighty slash from above, it easily slices through half of the creature before it even reacts - and as the slime pulls away to either side at once, trying to escape the burning threat, it only adds to the desired effect to cut the ooze in half.

The smell of burning oil fills the air as Renna, suddenly without the slime's "support", falls to the ground right to Wren's feet - to either side, the rogue can see a battered slime, each of them smoldering where the sword hit and, judging by their uncoordinated wobbling, clearly disoriented. Some minor parts already break away, insignificant slimes that do their best to crawl towards the shadows - what remains "standing" is likely an easy target from here.

Psychie Psychie is now actually in a position to savely stabilize.

21 Wren
--> 17 Renna (39 dmg, -5hp)
15 Baird
13 Veskassdak
13 oozy remnants 1+2
4 wooden staff

I'm not sure; just what do i need to do to stabilize? Is it possible to do a quick Lay on Hands on myself?

Somewhere deep within her, the paladin finds something to cling to - a burning heat in the darkness, fiery and yet refreshing. She's felt Iomadae's power often enough as it ran through her veins - now, though, where it counts the most, her deity feels closer than ever before. If there was any doubt about about her oaths, it's probably gone; at least in this very moment. The others can notice a few small movements as the paladin's body overcomes the first hurdle, stemming against the unnatural cold now that the slime itself is gone; her eyes do not open quite yet, but that might only be a matter of time.

Clockwork Syringe Clockwork Syringe is up.

Seeing Renna freed from the slime thanks to Wren, Baird will fire his heavy crossbow at one of the slime halves to finish the job.
(14 total to hit)
(six damage)

The projectile itself does little damage; the reaction, however, is worth the effort. Already in disarray, the slime suddenly seems to lose its shape - dissolving right in front of your eyes, forming a puddle of greyish ooze. That also holds true for the second one; perhaps, the two parts were still connected on some level, it's not like one of you were an ooze expert. You still notice some movement - several trickles slowly make their way back towards the tunnel's shadows - but you are sure that there is no threat any longer. In the midst of the remaining puddles, you see a few solid objects that are left behind; at first glance, you recognize your own arrows, but there is more to be found as soon as you wish.

If noone objects, we're moving out of combat. Psychie Psychie may try to make a DC 15 constitution save to become conscious; the others may roll perception in the meantime, or interact as they wish.

Veskassdak exhaled heavily as he released his rage now that the slime's threat had abated. Slumping his shoulders, he walked sluggishly towards Renna to see if there was anything he could do. Remembering the potions he had, he said, "Got thisss for reasssonsss like thisss," as he pulled out one potion of cure light wounds and carefully opened her mouth. Pouring it in slowly so she wouldn't choke on it, he administered the potion.

(6 hit points returned)

Wren quickly kneels down next to the injured woman and cradles her head. "Renna! It's ok now, you just rest. We got the slime-thing. Let the potion work, and you'll be ok in no time. Heck, you are a paladin! It takes more than this to bring down a warrior of Iomedae, right?" She looks up at Baird and Veskassdak. "That potion will work, right? I mean, she's not dead, is she?"

Hurriedly, Baird rushes to Renna's side to see if she is ok after dispatching the slime. Watching Veskassdak give her a potion, Baird became a little relieved, but was still cautious. "I don't know, but I do know this Wren," Baird then grasps his amulet. "Renna is a tough customer and it is as you say! She will not let a little slime stop her." Baird then scans the room to notice if anyone is watching them at all.

The potion's effect is as strong as anyone could have hoped. Caught in darkness and close to Iomadae, Renna feels a burning heat in her throat - and from there, her senses slowly return, one after the other. The flavor and smell of the potion she swallowed - bitter and smoky at the same time, a mixture any conscious person would spit out right away. The icy cold within her limbs, the numbness where the slime caught her off-guard. Voices around her, hectic, loud. The light of the loun stones, familiar faces.

Renna coughs, then manages to croak out, "Wren, talk a little quieter; my head is killing me. But it is as you say. I am hard to kill. It would seem that my work for my Goddess is not yet done." Her hand begins to reach out, searching for the hilt of her blade. "Where is my sword? It is my strength, and without it, I am incomplete."

Before trying to get up, she reaches up to the necklace holding her holy symbol and holds it in her hand. "Iomedae. I am weak and I am in need of your strength. Please grant your servant your blessed touch." With her prayer, she feels a rush of warmth flow into her aching body, flushing away some of the pain she was feeling.
Dice roller is not working. Silanon Silanon can you please roll 3d6 for my Lay on Hands?

Hit Points: 34 / 13
Lay on Hands: x1
Smite Evil: x2

Armor Class: 20 - Armor of Light Fortification
Melee Strike: +7
CMD 17
Fort Save: +9
Reflex Save: +6

Last edited:
"More potionsss I have," Veskassdak stated. "In total nine left. Prefer ussse when needed asss when Renna awakenessss lossst. Got thossse before here come usss. Not like depending on godsss usss helping. Pricssse comesss alwaysss with. Better feeling now, Renna?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back