• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter 3: Beyond the Portal

K
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

First try to get things to work...
IC - Beyond the portal (chapter 3)

Silanon

Four Thousand Club
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
For the two new ones (and the old guard for a more detailed description of the scene):

To say that it stinks is an understatement. Not that this would be too surprising - after all, you just spent hours running through a muddy, uninhabited swamp - but this is a different, exceptional smell that noone ever forgets after witnessing it for the first time: This is the sweet smell of death. And the further down you go through the tunnels of the cave, the worse it seems to become. And with every additional step, it becomes more and more clear that this is not just an ordinary scouting mission. Perhaps the payment should have been the first hint that something was a bit off - but noone complaints to be paid appropriately. The silence was more of a give-away - looking at the grim faces of the dozen men and women that form the rest of the small group you're part of, this likely wasn't a simple task. But after the recent news of roaming undead, orc ambushes and trouble with the local fauna, that was to be expected as well. Now it's too late to simply turn around. Your leader, an elven woman with long, brown hair and an impressive-looking long bow on her back, turns around one last time, pointing ahead where you can hear faint sounds of voices. "Ahead, you'll see Whitehair, Third Seeker of Wisdom, as well as a wild gathering of different persons and opinions; there's nothing to be afraid of, though." She points forward, motioning you to follow her as she moves on. "Apart from some ancient portal that was used by the orcs to cause even more trouble. We will be the first ones to go to the other side, making sure that they won't surprise us from there a second time - might take a while, though, so take a short rest, prepare yourselves, and do your best to not interrupt the mages." With that, you enter a larger cave, filled with quite a bit of orc rubbish, and the announced portal right in the middle of it. Between some red, tentacle-like rays of magical light, you can see a distant mountainous landscape - certainly not even close to this place. Apart from about a dozen more regular soldiers, you can spot three more persons of interest right in front of it. A slender woman whose face is hidden behind a silver mask, a white-haired halfling who seems to be solely focussed on the portal ahead - and some cloud-like thing that seems to swirl around on the spot. For some reason, you feel watched by it, even though you can't even see proper eyes. Some elemental of sorts, presumably. Around them, you can clearly see orc corpses - a giant ogre cadaver seems to be the main source of the smell you noticed long before.

There is another, outstanding group of people there, and Io, as the elven leader called herself, is headed right towards them. The first one to stand out is a tall monstrosity - a lizardman if you'd have to make a guess, though noone seems to be worried about his presence here. A shirt made of mithril provides him protection in addition to shis scaly skin, and his claws certainly look as if you'd rather not be close to them. The other three seem to be humans, at least - one well-armed lady with a rather unladylike two-handed sword on her back whose clothing indicates that she is devoted to a deity; a man in a mostly-black robe who carries a crossbow and likely is more than just a good arbalester; and a hooded woman who seems to be trying to not be in the focus of those assembled, carrying a pair of magically enchanted short swords to stab someone where it hurts.

For the old guard:

You're back where you overcame the bloody ogre just yesterday - its corpse can still be seen right in the middle, quite close to the portal. This time, however, you're not alone, and better equipped than previously. Just this morning, you found your newly-enchanted and maifactured gear, carefully placed right in front of Baird's small tent. Within, you also found a letter, written by Io as the signature suggests - asking you in Whitehair's name to join him at the portal. After all, you've been the ones to discover it and trustworthy allies for him thus far - it's only fair of him to send you right back into hell, right? Anyway, here you are again; though not alone this time. A group of soldiers has gathered as far away from the ogre corpse as possible, trying to avoid its scent without success; as well as Whitehair, accompanied by one of his elemental servants, and the woman you found here yesterday - Fyanne. Seeing her, it is hard to imagine that she has been on the brink of death so recently; healing magic certainly did its work on her. Thus far, the two mages have ignored you for about an hour. As far as the others have told you, you're waiting for even more reinforcements - including Io who also wrote that she'd join you later on. Given that there really isn't much to do around here, you have thus far discovered that nothing has really changed; apart from the collapsed area, where some dwarven experts have cleared a secure path for everyone to pass through. You have almost reached the point where eyeing your new equipment for the forth time has become a tiny tad boring when you finally hear steps further up in the corridors. Soon enough, you see the light of a torch, and Io comes into sight; followed by another handful of soldiers who are as heavily armed as the others. In addition, you spot two different figures who certainly stick out.

Dicer Dicer Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Clockwork Syringe Clockwork Syringe Orikanyo Orikanyo Shnarf Shnarf

"Comesss Io," Veskassdak spoke as he spotted the elf woman. "Glad wasss able get new thingsss. Feel ready for nexsst thingsss want kill usss. Ssshow ssstupid idea isss that." Indicating with a little pride at some new potions he carried in one of his new magic belt pouches, "Got make big drink to be ssstronger and make bigger hurt."
Thumping his new mithral breastplate, "This make need ressst lesss ssso can do danger watch while ressst othersss can."
Turning to Baird and Wren, "Thanksss help getting all thessse new thingsss from othersss without being cheated. Think cheater brewmaker hide ssso not worry about facsse biting. Wasss almossst joking, but really wasss not."
With that he turned and waited to see who else was going with them through the portal and into whatever dangers await them beyond.

Renna has a bit of a spring in her step as she readies herself for another day of adventure! She places a friendly hand on Veskassdak's shoulder. "You are looking good in your new armor, my friend. I almost feel sorry for whatever out there that wants to try is luck against us, especially with this new and improved gear we all have."

When the others show up, as pointed out to her by the lizard man, Renna gives a friendly wave. "Io! Well met, my friend. I see you come with help. I am Renna, warrior of Iomeade, and I welcome you."
Hit Points: 34
Lay on Hands: x8
Smite Evil: x2

Armor Class: 20
CMD 17
Fort Save: +9
Reflex Save: +6
Will Save: +9
Perception: -2

Last edited:
When Wren hears the sound of people coming down the path to the portal, she does her best to fade into the background, just in case that pompous ass of a fiancé is with them. No need to tempt fate, is there? When she sees that the Lord is not with the soldiers, she lets out a slight sigh of relief. But, no matter what, she will not be at ease until they are through the portal and far away from here.

Keeping her face somewhat covered up with her hood, she steps out of the shadows to stand with Baird, Veskassdak and Renna, letting the paladin do the speaking for the team.
Hit Points: 32

Armor Class: 20 +1 vs Trap Attacks
Fort Save: +3
Reflex Save: +9 +1 vs Traps
Will Save: +3
Perception: +13 (+15 to Locate Traps)
Stealth: +12

Last night was unusual to say the least for Baird. He had successfully managed to figure out what the orb he had found days ago finally did, but he was also shocked at what he discovered about his crossbow. Resolving himself to not use it unless he was out of magical ability, he would keep it on his back. The night itself was pleasant despite Io's warning about watching for visions and dreams and he awoke rested and ready to tackle what the day held for the young Dragon Sorcerer.

As Io led them deeper into the cave, Veskassdak turned to speak with Wren and himself, "Thanksss help getting all thessse new thingsss from othersss without being cheated. Think cheater brewmaker hide ssso not worry about facsse biting. Wasss almossst joking, but really wasss not." Baird grinned and responded to Veskassdak with a quip of his own,
"If he saw you friend, he would have needed to drink from a potion of iron bowels, less his be released upon seeing you." Baird kept quiet until the party entered the site of their last victory complete with a pulsating portal, and several unfamiliar faces. At the mention of Renna's introduction Baird notices Wren breathing out a sigh of relief for some reason. After he heard her introduction, Baird smiles warmly and nods his head.
Dicer Dicer Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Orikanyo Orikanyo Shnarf Shnarf

Cairnall'thasel

This job was a curious one, while orcs were no trouble, and wildlife in of it'self was as little concern as can be to the alchemist, who based most of his work off OF the local wildlife. However, following the elven woman was simple enough, her longbow made quick work of most things at surprisingly long ranges, perhaps is that why they call it a longbow? or perhaps it is because it is long? Or perhaps the one who created the bow was named Long and henceforth the true reason behind the name of the bow had been lost to the annals of banality.

Wait... what was he thinking about?

The long woman(or was it her bow that was long) pointed ahead and spoke something, a halfling with whitehair? or was it a halfling named whitehair? or was there a halfling beside somebody WITH whitehair? who in turn was somebody named Whitehair or was nicknamed whitehair due to his whitehair?

Regardless, he followed the other elf, his thoughts racing on the nature of the whitehaired one and if he was, indeed, white haired.

Inside there was a smelly dead ogre, a halfling who had whitehair, he made a mental checkmark of that one, along with three others.

A lizard, a cloaked person with a crossbow, a sword with a blonde haired woman attached and another woman who didn't know what pants were.

Yes, indeed, they looked interesting, but so did most things. that smell, for example, was interesting in it's own really smelly right, somebody should have incinerated that corpse by now. The alchemist stared at the trio from behind the elk skull shaped helm, one green eye showering them with utmost interest as he wondered just who they were and how the pantless one go through the swamp with such ill suited clothing. the sword as well, armor is no good in a swamp, no no no.

The lizard was a lizard, he did lizard things as lizards do, who better than the lizard to do the lizard things? he wondered what the lizard could do, was it one of the martial persuasion? A dealer of death with it's great teeth and claws? Or perhaps it knew something of the arcane? A lizard wizard, as it were?

the cloaked person was curious, mysterious, and nearly tied with the most pleasing thing to look at in this place, just under the sword's carrier. That sword was very nice in of it'self of course... It just begged to be used... To bad he was shit with swords, the girl probably had a clue how to use it, would be a shame if she didn't.

... Wait...

Was he expected to go say hi to these people!?

Nobody was telling him to, but it felt as if the whims of fate were trying to get him to talk to them! Should he do so!/ What should he say! He was no good with introductions! usually hes trying to chase people away! Always wnating potions or something! He didn't care if people wanted night tea to undo that last little misstake they amde in the bed sheets he was a alchemist not a ... A...

Wait...

That was still his job...

Erastil forgive me for this mistake!

Though I still helped them.

Only after they said please though!

Wait he still has to make the introduction...

Well.. best give it your best shot...

The elf seemed to shuffle over slightly... before wandering off to another corner to look at something, pretending not to be performing a horrible attempt to non-chalently walk closer to the other group. Only until he actually something an interesting looking rock, wasn't smooth it just had one hell of an odd look to it. he continued his mild awkward shuffling up until he came in somewhere talking distance of the group... only to realize... He.. really had no idea what to say... Only starring at them with a big green eye(he has two but the helm only has one eye hole) as he silghtly seemed to freak about what to say...

Raising a slight hand he tried his best to sound friendly.

"....Hi..."

He spoke only that, leaving ALOT of dead air that... Really felt like it should be filled with something but he knew not of what to fill it with.

Well that was a failure, small wonder you didn't make any friends at the college.

Keiyanna followed the elf woman who, for some reason that she still did not fully understand, led the group. Though the elf was quite skilled in the ways of combat, it seemed that there were some among this group more suited to a role of leadership. Keiyanna deemed that not saying this would be for the best as she did not want unnecessary fighting, especially in-fighting, so she simply followed. The elf woman led her small band of soldiers and adventurers through a swamp at a breakneck pace.

With her group there seemed to be this rather eccentric alchemist who could not keep focused on any one thing for more than a fraction of a second. A side effect, she assumed, of one of the many potions this particular alchemist must have consumed over the many years of his life. Those Alchemists do some crazy things sometimes Keiyanna silently mused on the forced march.

After a few hours the squad reach the mouth of a cave and everyone went single file with the tankiest and most well armored in front to take any ambushes, as unlikely as they seemed. Good military tactics and all, one can never be too careful. Keiyanna simply followed along again and very nearly tuned out the elf woman as she spoke to the group. There are some people, we're here to do a thing, lets just go came a though, unbidden to Keiyanna's mind.

As the giant lizard...man...thing walked up to the group, even though no one else responded at all, Keiyanna took up a defensive posture. She did not trust that thing, it was a monster, and apparently male besides. The damaged Alchemist clearly did not share Keiyanna's concern and walked up with and "introduced" himself with a nervous and timid "hi." How sad, thought Keiyanna, here is an elf, in his prime, and robbed of many of his mental faculties. Alchemy is a craft I shall endeavor to avoid engrossing myself in, I shall stick with the magical healing arts.

Keiyanna walked up to this hodge podge group of people and introduced herself. "Hale and well met, my name is Keiyanna, I am a kintecist and here to assist. I have learned ways to channel my power into healing, so should you require aid simply ask and I shall help." She said to the group with a bow. Keiyanna had a bit of a flare for the formal, she was the daughter of a Duchess after all.

Renna nods in satisfaction. "Good to meet you, Keiyanna. Having another person capable of restoring health to the infirm and needy is always a good thing. Allow me to introduce my less talkative friends. This large scaly fellow is Veskassdak. He is a good friend, despite the fact that we are mammals." She smiles at the lizard man, sharing a bit of a joke with him. "This lady back here is Wren. She is quick with her hands and is very keen of eyesight, and has helped to save our group from a trap on more than one occasion. Finally, the tall fellow in the cloak is Baird, a spellcaster."

She turns her attention to the extremely verbose fellow in the mask. "Hi to you, too. What is your name, sir?"

OH GOD SHE SAID SOMETHING BACK!!

Who was that new person too!?

Keiyanna?!

What in blue blazes was a kintecist!? Healing? How does that heal? What does it heal? What even is this!?

Wait!

The sword's girl was talking to him, it's right to say something back right? thats what he should do correct? yes! he should say something! But what should he say! She was looking at him expectantly, perhaps... Wait.. Did she ask his name? names are easy! just say your name damn it! Say your name to the cute carrier of the sword!

"...Cairnall'Thasel..." he paused for a moment and seemed to somewhat copy the bow the half-elf made nearby. He didn't know if he HAD to do it but maybe that one recognized some royal aspect to the sword holder? "...I'm... An.. Alchemist." he couldn't look at her, even as he tried to pry each word from his stifled lexicon of vocabulary.

"...I heal... And harm... And treat ailments... Many ailments in the bog, horrible things, but interesting, yes very interesting. Foot fungus from this bog particularly voracious, trench foot is a major concern so keep your boots clear and socks dry- Err...." he stopped, feeling waves of embaressment washing over his form again...

Why was he talking about foot fungus?

Bogs suck, sure but come on! Surely there has to be something else you can say!? Anything that'll interest these people!?

"..Erhm.. I... Also... Make bombs? hehe...heh...."

Yea thats interesting enough right? Right?!

Baird nodded at the mention of him possessing the skill of sorcery. "Indeed," Baird said in a pleasant voice. "I am a user of the arcane arts although Renna, I'm not just tall dark and arcane you know?" Baird smiles warmly at Renna once he finished his joke. Turning to Cairnall he spoke, "it is very nice to meet you," Baird then turned to Keiyanna, "also to you as well, I can't help but admit this is my first time even hearing about a Kintecist." Baird also made a mental note to thank Renna for not spilling the beans on his Dragon ancestry. A sorcerer who thinks he's descended from a dragon? Now that is grounds for crazy unless you're Renna, Wren, or Veskassdak who saw what happened in that cave first hand.

Veskassdak nodded as Renna introduced him to the new arrivals. He knew better than to smile at them. Most mammals seem to get frightened, or unnerved at the least, when he smiled. He still could not figure out why this was so.
He didn't really understand what the one called "Keiyanna" meant when she said she was a "Kineticist" and also knew his command of the mammal tongue would not permit him to pronounce either correctly, but he did understand healing and that was good regardless of the source.
As for the other, he seemed to have been touched by one of the primals. He spoke in few words and those that he did use were disjointed at best. Veskassdak was still trying to figure out what the elf was saying when the elf stated, "..Erhm.. I... Also... Make bombs? hehe...heh....". That truly made his spines start to extend in reflex. This elf was a brewmaker. He hoped this brewmaker was different enough from cheater that he would not need to bite a face off.
"Kassseemlel," he said as he extended his fist to the newcomers, "or in mammal ssspeech, greetingsss. Healersss welcome alwaysss. Protect harm you will from I. Mammal ssspeech easssy not for me ssspeak. Sssorry if caussse trouble talk."

Keiyanna chuckled slightly with each comment of not knowing what her powers were. "I'm not surprised, honestly. We Kineticists are a rare, but powerful group. Our powers can not be taught or inherited, they are awoken through trauma. Even then, not everyone can awaken the powers." Keiyanna looked over the group and examined each of the assembled combatants, a Paladin, a Rogue , a Barbarian, and two Alchemists. A rather eclectic group to be sure, but likely very competent and capable.

The rogue in the back drew Keiyanna's eye, she seemed to be someone with a secret or a dark past. Or she could have just been rather shy, either way Keiyanna was interested. Though she did not act on anything yet, she had just met this group and knew nothing about this group save their names.

"I know that you four know each other and your combat abilities, but just so we all know what each others strengths are, what are everyone's preferred combat styles and locations. Personally I have mostly long range and utility moves with some healing. As such, I tend to stay in the back, but I can take a hit if needed, though I prefer not too."

"Fight take to prey me," Veskassdak spoke flexing his claws, his sharp reptilian teeth showing with each word. "Range clossse. Not can hit at far. Not sssee ssscare when clossse not. Like sssee ssscare. Like sssee mammalsss flee when full ssscare. When flee run, not hurt protected by me can do. Good isss that."

Wren speaks up in a quiet voice. "I have a crossbow, but I'm most effective up close, attacking from surprise if possible. I'm just not as tough as Veskassdak or our walking suit of armor over here."

"...I am not... Fighting... type?" Cairnell tried to explain. "I heal, a give boons, and I freeze and burn those who accost me... Is... that what you need of me?" he questioned, unsure of the full extent of what he should be talking about. This veskassdak fellow was well spoken in common... For a.. lizardfolk. Atleats good enoguh that Cairnal could udnerstand.

"...Prefering the suprise.. myself..." he agreed with Wren's statement, from a surprise people found little time to react against a explosive. "...But I have little competence in... The melee." He thought bout how best to describe the art of clouting people atop of the head with swords and sticks... he could throw a dagger sure(And they were quite fun to throw at that) but he was no up front fighter type.

"Walking suit of armor?" Renna has a chuckle at Wren's comment. "Yes, I suppose I am at that. A fine layer of steel between me and my foes keeps me sleeping soundly at night." Another chuckle comes with that comment. "As you can probably tell, I use my blade as my primary means of attack. I also have the divine gift of healing from my Goddess Iomeade, and have used my talents to help keep everyone healthy and hale."

CMD 17

Last edited:
Keiyanna listened intently as each member of this rather odd ball group explained their preferences and abilities. All in all, a rather well rounded group, though a touch heavy on the ranged side, but not bad.

"Don't laugh." Keiyanna said while holding back her own chuckle. "For this is not all I do, but I prefer range as well but with of a slightly different method. I throw domino tiles at my foes, partly because it is rather hilarious to see my enemies run in terror from flying domino tiles, but also because they are cheap. I also have managed to learn to control my powers for various pieces of utility. And I am currently working on some defensive manipulations, but haven't quite figured out how to make it work."

Keiyanna knew that the main source of her battle ability came from was a rather humorous sight to behold. A single domino tile flying through the air shrouded in strands of pure Aether that exploded on impact. Quite the sight to see.

"So, introductions having been made, and combat abilities known, why don't we get to it?" Keiyanna asked, not knowing if there was to be another group arriving as further reinforcements. (Waiting for baird responds to actually apply this piece though)

"Indeed Keiyanna, that is quite interesting" Baird began. "Utilizing dominos to harness your power of the aether. I will have to ask you more on that as you have piqued my interest. Myself on the other hand, I just use the magical talents I was born with; I'm a sorcerer also, quite healthy for one I might add and I'm not sure what caused that. In any case yes let us get to it for I am curious to see what is on the other side of that portal.

"We all are curious to see what lies beyond that portal - unfortunately, the battle outside means that you will have to be my eyes and ears." The halfling has turned around towards you, mustering everyone of you for a tiny bit longer than necessary. Especially the two new ones seem to find his curiosity, until he finally nods. "From what we can tell without passing through, the portal will lead you into some kind of cave; a different one, that much is clear, for the mountains there look entirely different. There seem to be chambers on the sides, which the soldiers under the lead of Io will secure to have a toehold. You, however, will follow the main path that seems to lead outside - and see if there is any sign of the orcs, or any other threat out there."

He points at the portal in his back. "For now, I have stabilized its magic; for all I know, it should be safe to reach the other side. I can not guarantee, however, that it will stay that way - if you are in need of anything, you might want to throw a letter through the portal rather than send a messenger. We will have two men stand watch here at any time to answer your requests." He pauses for a moment, once more staring at each of you for a little while. Then, he adds in his calm voice: "Questions?"

Renna gives a wide smile at the idea of being the first through the portal and to investigate the other side. "My only thought to ask is, when do we leave? I have made my preparations before leaving the camp, and now I stand ready to proceed, with Iomeade's blessing, of course."

CMD 17

"Deadeye please lead our steps into these untread lands so that we may return safely, protect those who stay behind and guide our strikes true in our hunts..." the first unbroken line of words came from the elf as he made a small prayer, was he afraid of going into the portal? Sure, but it may have reagents he may need, plus...

That guiding hand of fate was back

Whitehair smiles in regards to the paladin's enthusiasm, then points in direction of the elven alchemist. "As soon as the last prayers have been spoken, there is no need to delay any further. Be careful on the other side, we do not know what awaits you there." With that, he steps aside, clearing the path for all of you to step through the portal.

"Well then, time to move. See you all on the other side, take care while I'm not right behind you." Io readies her longbow, then gathers the other soldiers for a few final words. You see a few nervous faces here and there, though most of the fighters seem to be hardy veterans. Certainly not the worst company for entering unknown lands. Finishing your last preparations and likely drawing your choice of weaponry, you all step forward, towards the portal. There is a last, short interruption as the remaining magus, the masked woman, presses something warm and ball-shaped into Renna's hands - "A life for a life, as my people say; the healers thank you for your help, and send their best regards" is all she says before quickly stepping away as if to avoid any further words - then you can feel the unknown magic right in front of you. It only takes one futher step for all of you - the only thing you notice is a cold, almost refreshing gust as you surpass the portal, reaching the other side.

No foes await you, at least for now, there is no sign of danger. Hastily mustering your surrounding, you get a first grasp of what awaits you here. Once more, you stand in some kind of cave - though it is certainly a different one. The ceiling is smooth, the ground is paved with millions of little stones that all look alike. Some of you might appreciate the cleanliness of this place, especially compared to the swamps. Others might get the distinct feeling that it's way too clean, as if someone looked after it who does not appreciate unwelcome interferences, including the footprints of your muddy shoes on the floor. Either way, this place looks unnatural; way too symmetric to be of shaped by the elements over thousands of years. There are four doorways leading to chambers on the side, as well as the announced path leading out of the cave. From here, you can see a mountanous landscape in the sunlight, but not much more yet. In your back, you noticee that Io and her men are about to join you as well, lining up on the other side of the portal. You cannot hear sounds from there, however.

Before moving through the portal, Renna would have her sword in hand, ready to use if needed. After looking about for a moment and seeing nothing threatening, she turns to Wren. "I believe we should examine what's behind these doors before ranging out. Would you examine them to make sure that they hold no nasty surprises for us? Then we can choose one to go through."

CMD 17

Wren nods. "That I can do. Step back just a touch; no need for you to get caught in a blast if I make a mistake." Making sure that there is nothing about to pounce out on them, the nimble rogue slowly approaches the first door, looking all about for any signs of a trap. If she sees none, she'll move on to look over the first door on the left, examining the lock and handle.
Hit Points: 32

Armor Class: 20 +1 vs Trap Attacks
Fort Save: +3
Reflex Save: +9 +1 vs Traps
Will Save: +3
Perception: +13 (+15 to Locate Traps)
Stealth: +12

"it's very clean..." was all the alchemist said at first, running his hand along the floor. "unexpected... Made, not formed... belongs to something intelligent... Curiouser and curiouser..." he continued to ramble, his eye watching the world around them from behind the helm. he continued to gaze, looking for anything out of palce in the oddly well made area, perhaps something dangerous, or at least interesting.

At least, while the one who knows not pants does her work.

Armor Class: 18
CMD 16
Fort Save: +5
Reflex Save: +7
Will Save: +2
Perception: +15
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Melee Strike: 3
Ranged Strike: 6
Initiative: +3
CMB: 3