• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter 3: Beyond the Portal

Seeing the latch remaining on the door, Veskassdak reached to it and secured it to prevent the spiders and whatever they had formed when they swarmed together from coming through. Now that they were relatively safe, he slumped to the ground. He released his rage and exhaled as the fatigue from it took over. After a few minutes, his breathing returned to normal. Taking a deep breath, he looked around to see if there was anything interesting, dangerous, or just simply to see exactly how safe they were.

AC 19; HP 55 of 61 remaining; DR 2/-; Fort save +7, Ref save +2, Will save +2; Speed 40 ft., Melee Attack bonus +8 bite damage 1d3+4, 2 claws damage 1d4+4; rage duration remaining: 10 of 13 rounds.

Wren sheaths one of her blades and places a comforting hand upon Veskassdak's shoulder. "Thanks, big guy. Take a quick rest, but everyone, don't let your guard down too much. Before the spiders came out, I saw a figure out here in the hall that slammed the door shut on us. We are not alone out here." Looking over at Renna, the sick rogue asks, "Can you do that healing thing on us again? I feel like crap right now."

Renna nods, knowing that many of the group were suffering from the effects of the spider bites. "I cannot stop the venom, but I can restore some of your injuries."
Using another 2 Lay on Hands to perform a Channel Positive Energy for those that are wounded. Restores 10 hit points.

Hit Points: 34
Lay on Hands: x2
Smite Evil: x2

Armor Class: 20 - Armor of Light Fortification
Melee Strike: +7
CMD 17
Fort Save: +9
Reflex Save: +6
Will Save: +9
Perception: -2

Once more, Iomadae's power shines upon you,healing your wounds and raising the spirit. Additionally, those who were poisoned can slowly feel the effects wear off as soon as you take a moment to rest.

Taking a quick look around when you have somehow recovered, you find yourself in a corridor that was smoothly carved out of the stone - perhaps magic, perhaps superior craftsmanship. You'd assume that at least ten people could walk side by side without touching the empty walls on either side; one thing that likely causes your attention is the total lack of light sources of any kind: no torches, no lamps. Maybe a hundred feet away, barely lit by your loun stones, the corridor seems to widen ever so slightly to make room for a towering statue in the middle - a humanoid figure clothed in a dark robe is leaning nonchalantly against the marble base. You could swear that he or she wasn't there just a few breaths ago, yet you didn't see any movements. From what you can tell, the person seems little concerned about your presence or the spidery mess on the other side of the doors, but eyes you with curiosity from the distance.

Nodding his head in the direction of the robed humanoid, Veskassdak spoke quietly to the others, "Againssst ssstatue there. Sssomeone ssstandsss at usss looksss. Think reassson maybe it wasss for problem door? Danger not act doesss it. Consscerned and worried me makesss doesss it. In cassse, ready act defend usss is me."
With that, he slowly stood up and prepared to act if necessary. He, however, would not act preemptively having remembered what happened in the between worlds place and wanted to be sure that kind of action was warranted and required.

Renna looks up in surprise when she hears that there is someone watching them - its not like she is that perceptive to her surroundings. Shifting her armor's fit on her shoulders, she says, "Well then. Let us go and introduce ourselves, and ask why this person saw fit to lock us up in the room with this swarm of spiders." Before heading out, she focuses her mind on a brief prayer to sense if the figure is evil.

CMD 17

There is no reaction to be seen as you slowly prepare to approach the figure - both hands remain visible and do not hold any kind of weapon as far as you are aware. The prayer, however, shows at least the potential of a mighty threat - as soon as the last word is spoken, Renna can feel an overwhelming, intimidating presence in front of her, and it does not take her long to determine that the person ahead is indeed its origin.

Baird watches as Veskassdak throws down the latch to hold the door in place effectively saving them from the spider horde. He then flashes a smile and a big thumbs up at Veskassdak before saying "Nicely done! I guess we got out of there because-" Baird then became acutely aware of the presence of another before continuing his thought. Nodding at Renna's suggestion, Baird moves forward with his hands interlocked at his midsection and engages the man in conversation. "Greetings!" Baird begins, "We've just gotten ourselves out of a hairy mess in there. My name is Baird, to whom should I refer to you as?

As Baird heads towards the stranger, Renna will say in a quiet voice, "Be careful with this one; she is very strong, and is not one to be trifled with. But no matter what, we are all together." In a louder voice, she says, "And I am Renna."

CMD 17

Wren is feeling a little pissed off that this person saw them in the spider's room and slammed the door on them, all without any warning about what they were facing. Perhaps its a good thing that I'm not the one that is going out to talk to her. In the meantime, the rogue prepares herself for another fight, just in case things don't go well.
Hit Points: 32
Melee Strike: +4 (+8 with lightweight weapons)
Ranged Strike: +8
Initiative: +6

Armor Class: 20 +1 vs Trap Attacks
Fort Save: +3
Reflex Save: +9 +1 vs Traps
Will Save: +3
Perception: +13 (+15 to Locate Traps)
Stealth: +12

The hooded figure allows you to step relatively close without any sign of recognition - only when Baird is about fifteen feet away, you can see the person raise one hand, clearly indicating you to stop where you are. The other hand pulls the hood further down, as if to cover her eyes against the lights you brought. As you can see now, "her" is indeed the right word to use, as you notice the slightly feminine forms underneath the robe. She's lean, rather short and moves with both grace and utmost precision that warn your experienced eyes to not underestimate her because of her stature. Her voice, relatively high and surprisingly melodic for someone who just left you to your fate, forms common words as she speaks. And although her pronounciation is certainly off, you'll certainly all be able to understand their meaning.

"Sorry to hear that the holiest of our places was not to your liking, Baird." It's hard to miss the sarcasm as she speaks. "It wasn't exactly built for outsiders to begin with." She takes a moment to eye Renna as the paladin introduces herself - seemingly trying to spot some kind of detail before refocussing on Baird. "Not that your kind ever cared too much about other peoples' customs. Guess we have that much in common. If you need a name, Izz should do for the short while we'll spend together." There is another short pause as Izz eyes the remaining two of your group. "Feel free to point your weapons at me - wouldn't want you to be too slow to draw them. And then tell me who the hell is insolent enough to send you to the Queen's cathedral. Probably not Lady Bag-of-Bones, right? Heard she's more into harpies these days." She eyes Veskassdak for a second. "The Beast, perhaps? Seeing the lizard brute? Or the Red Matriarch?"

Veskassdak held his tongue. Something about this Izz was making him feel wary. He would let the others speak and only say something if asked directly. He felt no need to give his name to someone who was not giving their name. Names held power as the tales of his people told him. Her voice sounded like the pointy-eared mammals elves, but was not quite the same. This too factored into his unease.

Baird was intrigued by Izz's mention of the Lady Bag-of-Bones, The Beast, and the Red Matriarch, who in the heck was she talking about? Baird wracked his mind for answers as he attempted to recall if he had ever heard of these people or beings before. ((20 total))

Renna frowns. This one has quite an attitude, and she did not like it one bit. "We are not here to profane any holy place, even one as hostile to visitors as yours. Also, I have no idea of the identity of the people you are talking about; perhaps we were sent here by one but just don't know them by the name you are using? Perhaps you could tell us where we are for a start."

CMD 17

First of all, the results of Baird's magical studies over the last few years: Unsurprisingly, you neither recall "The Beast", nor "Bag-of-Bones" as relevant nicknames - while the first one certainly sounds atypical for a drow, the latter could probably describe at least two thirds of their population, given their general slenderness. The Red Matriarch, however, is different. You could swear you've read that name somewhere; it takes a while for you to recall the exact context, but you almost feel stupid when you finally remember. Iderin's song - written by the reputable monk a few centuries ago, this piece of wit is included in the most common tomes about the different schools of magic, naming them together with their best-known representatives. The verse about demonology is rather short in lack of examples that didn't get torn apart by the creatures they summoned - but the one name mentioned is the Red Matriarch from far below, whose raid on the surface was only stopped in a joint effort between Iomadaean paladins and elven priests. If she escaped that defeat and lived long enough to still be alive and notable, you might want to avoid her.

While Baird recalls that, Izz seems to be solely focused on Renna's words - a mocking smile fills the gap between the paladin's questions and her response. "You, little girl, are further away from your precious home than you should - and if the Queen's cathedral does not ring a bell, you probably should have asked for written instructions to reread those right now. Preferably signed, just to make sure that you don't forget who owes you your pay." Slowly, her smile fades. "Honestly, none of those I mentioned would be stupid enough to force the issue. Not yet, at least. And you'd know whom I meant if you'd ever met them. Which leads us to the simple question: Why are you here, and how did you get here? If you came for hospitality and free blankets, the archon will have to disappoint. And given how little you seem to know, you clearly didn't pass through the dark realm."

With a rather loud "ahem" from clearing his throat, Baird turns to Izz. "We have not met the Red Matriarch, and from what I know about her I don't think we would want to. As for the other two, this is the first time I've heard of them. New knowledge aside, however, we are not here for hospitality Izz we are here to attempt to resolve a longstanding conflict. We were sent here from a room of statues and thrown into that sanctum not knowing its significance. We apologize if we ended up doing more harm than good.

"I doubt that you could cause lasting harm here even if you tried." The comment seems a bit halfhearted as the drow considers your words - but her mocking smile quickly takes over once more. "You are late, you know? Just a few of your miserable lifespans, but still." She clenches her fist several times while she tries to make up her mind. "The Harbinger's isle - that makes some sense. The portal ends where Thorad became Lord Archon. Why now, though?"

Her eyes focus on Baird once more as if she could see right through his forehead. "We thrive on conflict, it defines who we are. The world knows that, you shiver in fear whenever you hear our names. You even remember someone as insignificant as the Matriarch. Even the spellbreaker did not change us. After his death, a few hundred sellswords could have done the trick, they could have been a new beginning." For the first time since you saw her, she makes a step forward, away from the supporting statue behind her. "But there are only four of you, and you are late. Give us a few more decades, and the conflict will solve itself. We will have one last glorious battle, and then you'll have to find another threat to fear. Maybe we'll even leave something behind that's worthy of replacing us."

For just a moment Izz seems to pause in thought. "Would be nice to have a lasting impact. Not that that matters right now." Her thumb points at the tunnels behind her. "Guess the archon might want to see you. No guided tours at this time of the century, you'll have to follow my description. At the next statue, turn to the left. Follow the path there until you reach a large cave. Take the third exit, then turn to the right. They'll either shoot or welcome you." With that, she once more leans back against the statue, curiously mustering the four of you.

Not trusting this mammal, but having no better options, Veskassdak looked to his companions to see if they should follow its directions. Remaining here next to the door back to the spider chamber was not an option he even considered. Striking out was better than staying put.

Wren is still silent, not trusting herself to speak right now. I know I saw that bitch at the door, and she just locked us in the spider room without a second thought. If it weren't for us trying to be all nicey-nicey, I'd love to stick her with my new swords and hear her squeak. In the meantime, she does her best to commit the directions to memory so they don't get lost down here. "Ok, guys. Time is wasting. Lets go."
Hit Points: 32
Melee Strike: +4 (+8 with lightweight weapons)
Ranged Strike: +8
Initiative: +6

Armor Class: 20 +1 vs Trap Attacks
Fort Save: +3
Reflex Save: +9 +1 vs Traps
Will Save: +3
Perception: +13 (+15 to Locate Traps)
Stealth: +12

After listening to Izz's response to him, as well as her directions to find the Archon, Baird nods and speaks. "Thank you for your directions, we will head to the Archon post haste." Baird then awaits his companions for a movement pattern to follow.

Once the four of you move forward, an almost devilish smile appears on Izz's lips - she does not show any further reaction as you pass by, though. The further you get away from that spider-infested cathedral, the narrower the path becomes. When you reach the mentioned statue, it's still wide enough for you to walk side by side if you wish, but not much more than that.

To call the thing you found a "statue" is rather overstated - the actual figure has long been removed with brute force, only the two stone feet remain on top of the base. Elven runes say that they belonged to a memorial in honor of Lord Archon Zel'vodir, but he's certainly fallen out of favor.

Straight ahead, the path seems to continue in the same fashion as before, a similar path leads further down on the right. To your left, there is only a small opening, certainly not an official path. Just like the entirety of the realm you've seen thus far, its pitch-dark, and barely high enough to let most of you walk upright without too much trouble.

Crouching to clear the ceiling without bumping his head, Veskassdak muttered, "Easssy thisss over much isss. Not trussst or like mammal Izz. Trap like feelsss. Not thisss like. Careful usss ssshould be." As his head bumped into a low part of the ceiling he said "Fek" and rubbed his top frill.

As Baird approaches the statue, he notices the destroyed state of the Archon statue causing him to give pause for a moment, ~What exactly were they walking into here?~ Turning to Veskassdak, Baird responds to his statement. "The feeling is mutual friend," Baird began. "In fact, it seems this is not the first time my blood has been in this location." Clutching the amulet in his right hand, he continues to Veskassdak. "When I struck the door, I was granted a vision of the past that showed my ancestor opening the door; which is how we got out of there in the first place. It makes me wonder how many more surprises this trinket holds in store for both myself and us.

Renna does her best to keep spirits up. "It is never so dark that the light of Iomeade cannot illuminate the path. With her as my sword and shield, and my dear companions at my side, I am ready to face any challenge that these underways have waiting for us. Before we go, will you permit me to speak a prayer of blessing over us? Even if you are not devotees of Iomeade, her trust in her servants is such that she will extend her kindness to you as well if I ask of it."

How much time has passed since we have had a chance to rest? Are we fairly fresh, or has it been a while?

CMD 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back