• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Chapter 3: Beyond the Portal

At least for now, the amulet stays cold - no vision reaches your mind. Perhaps, words alone are not enough to trigger the ancient memories, and you'd have to get to a better place to find your ancestor's guidance.

Wren looks to her companions with a sigh. "Well, it would seem to me that the simple answer to this is to find this crown and decide then which side to give it to. Like that's going to be simple. We now need to find a way to get this Zidohil to tell us exactly where this thing is so we can go and get it." She looks at the Kitsune and asks, "Soooooo, does anyone know what might be something that will get him to tell us where it is?"

I have the feeling that this is going to be a very long trip.

The kitsune slowly shakes his head. "The crown itself is out of reach; you'd have to be either a drow or a fool to even get close to it. The Orb, however, would allow whomever you'd choose to go there uncontested - and luckily, I just so happen to know Zidohil better than most." He pauses for a brief moment. "There is nothing that could ever persuade him to give away the position; believe me, many have tried over the years, myself included. He has, however, had visions ever since the Lord Archon's death; a last one befell him the night before he went into hiding once more. He didn't tell me much about it, only that you might arrive - but he left his sword behind for the first time in ages. Perhaps, you might want to take a look. Be aware, however, that it is not meant to be used in combat any longer; it hasn't seen blood since Zidohil decided to take a neutral stance."

With that, the elder stands up to retrieve the weapon from the wall; carefully, as if it could break any moment. A few slow steps later, he presents the hilt to the four of you. From closer, those who have a basic understanding of blades can easily see its value; undoubtedly, a true master of smithery brought the blackened steel into its current form. Multiple blood grooves to reduce its weight, a slightly bent blade that won't get stuck in a dead body; drow runes to further enhance its performance in battle. This thing was meant to slaughter thousands and more, and it likely has. Those of chaotic alignment will feel a certain reluctance towards it; no matter how different the law of the drow might be, this weapon was made ot protect it.

Wren looks at the sword with a dubious expression. "Renna? You are more of a swordswoman than I am. Perhaps you should carry it? I get a bad vibe when I get too close to that thing."

Following Wren's proposal, Tails turns towards the paladin, handing the blade over to her capable hands. At first, she only notices the usual qualities of the weapon - certainly sharp by the looks of it, and surprisingly light for a sword of its size. Weirdly balanced as well - it certainly wasn't made with human fighters in mind. Besides all that, it's cold, almost icy, and seems to have a mind of its own - at least, the paladin feels as if the sword would examine her just like she eyes the blade. A presence, cold and reserved - certainly not welcoming, perhaps reluctant.

Do you wish to examine the sword further, hand it back, or perhaps do something else instead?

Renna takes the blade with reverence, knowing just how important this is. She adjusts her grip on it as she tries out various swings and strikes before stopping to more fully examine the workmanship of the sword. "A truly fine weapon. I am impressed."

"Indeed - it certainly has served its master well over the years, all things considered." There's more to it, though, as the paladin already noticed: Its coldness seems to slowly spread through her hands and arms the longer she holds the weapon, until it unleashes in an icy chill that can be noticed by all of those gathered. It's quickly gone, but something remains - a sudden urge to dig deeper into the ground that only slowly fades away.

"Coldnessss," Veskassdak remarked by the sudden chill. "People mine like not coldnessss. Ssslowsss usss thinking. Can I ignore coldnessss by training sssincssse home left. Unliking still I it." With that he shuddered just a bit.

"I felt it as well - and it must have been the sword, no wind ever reaches this chamber." For a moment, his large eyes mustering the stony floor. "There was something else I felt - some sense of direction, albeit briefly. As if something dragged me further down. It's not much warmer there, I'm afraid, at least as long as we don't get way deeper - but it might be the right direction to take." His eyes muster all of you, one by one, then his lips show a faint smile. "Perhaps, we should take a moment to rest, and then decide on which path to take. If there is something you wish to ask, or anything I should take a look at - let me know. Otherwise, find some comfy place, I'll keep watch. These bones don't need as much sleep as they used to."

With that suggestion, Veskassdak looked around and spotted a, if not comfortable at least less uncomfortable, place to lay down. Soon he fell into a deep sleep. Thanks to the restful quality of his magic armor, he awoke refreshed and alert two hours later.

Baird listens intently as the sword in question is described and its' merits are scrutinized. Upon hearing the suggestion that the group should rest and regain their strength, Baird nods as it to wholeheartedly agree. He needed to regain his magical power in order to be of greater use to this group.

Wren lets out a happy sound at the thought of some sleep. "Ah yeah. Even a short nap will do me wonders. Sounds good to me." With that, she settles in and finds a relatively comfortable spot to lie down on and closes her eyes to get some sleep.

Renna settles down into a seat and begins to pray in silence so she will not disturb her companions, but in doing so she can restore her divine-given powers of healing.

In the midst of her rest-seeking companions, there are few distraction from the paladin's divine duties - it does not take her long to find peace and the reassuring feeling to be on the right path. Yet, many things need to be said, if not aloud, then in silent conversation. Thus, when the paladin ends her prayers, the others are already sound asleep, with the exception of Tails himself. Turning towards him, Renna sees him leaning against the wall in his back, ears set back and his half-closed eyes mustering her from the relative distance. He quickly avoids her gaze and refocuses on his task at hand - the doorway is dark, as it was before, though about a dozen of the protective runes glow faintly. Clearly, that has not been the case earlier - do you inquire, or simply seek sleep like your companions?

The paladin looks at the glowing runes, then back at Tails. She then asks, "Are the runes protective wards? Will they be sufficient to keep us safe enough for me to allow myself to get some sleep?"

"Some of them keep lesser foes at bay." His left paw points at several ones, though not accurately enough for you to distinguish them - he is a few feet away from them, after all. "Others simply warn me about their presence. Nothing to worry about as of now, and I will let you know in time if that changes." He certainly does not seem worried; as long as you trust his judgement, there should be no reason to stay up all night. Before you can lie down and have your well-earnt rest, however, his eyes wander back to you - towards your chest, to be precise, where the old symbol of Iomedae's faith has found its place. "That trinket - may I have a closer look? It has the remnants of magic around it, but I doubt it will be of much use as it is."

Renna smiles at the request of the Kitsumi. "Of course you may look at it." She rises up and walks over to him, offering up the holy symbol for Tails to look at. "This is an old symbol, one that I am surprised to have come across down here. Perhaps you could share some details of it with me?" She looks hopeful that he can provide some information on the item to her.

His eyes muster the symbol closely, though his hand is hesitant to reach out for it. After a moment, he comments plainly: "It is old." His smile shows that he's aware of the helpfulness of that statement. "Older than my aching bones, certainly. And it feels out of place. Few of the Inheritor's servants ever get close to these realms, as crusaders are rarely welcome here. Even fewer leave their holy symbols behind when they move on, especially without someone to claim it as a trophy." He pauses, in thought. "I would be surprised if anyone here could tell you who its previous owner was. Your orders keep track of the most irrelevant things, or at least that's what I've heard. Perhaps someone on the surface could tell you more." He shakes his head. "But that's just its history, it still has a role to fulfill." Renna sees how he closes his eyes, seemingly seeking utmost concentration. He does not speak words, or gesticulates - and yet, when he abruptly pulls back his hand as if the talisman was a blazing flame, something has changed. Somehow, the lines of the engraving seem sharper; newer, so to speak, though still old. And, more importantly, the paladin feels a rush of additional, familiar strength run through her veins right in this moment - Iomedae's strength, eager to be used after hundreds of years within an ooze's belly. Without a doubt, it will aid Renna greatly, as long as she follow the path of her predecessor.

Whenever you use Lay on Hands or channel energy, you may roll an additional 2d6. The amulet is a burden as well, however - losing it may very well cost you Iomedae's favor for some time. I shall name no price, since it might not be the best idea to sell it.

"See?" Somehow, Tails looks incredibly tired in this very moment - whatever he did, it was not easy. Without another word, he allows himself to slide down the wall behind him until he sits on the floor. Despite his exhaustion, however, a certain, proud smirk makes its way to his lips before he hides it behind a half-filled mug.

With her eyes open wide in amazement, Renna reverently takes the holy symbol back from Tails. "This is a truly precious item, and I thank you for showing me the secret behind this amulet." She fastens the symbol of her divine patron back on her cloak with a smile. "Thanks to this, I will have a very restful sleep."

Indeed, the paladin quickly falls asleep once she attempts to do so - the doubt about the safety of the group is certainly gone, at least for now. When Veskassdak awakes some time after, she is as responsive as the other two; you might as well talk to the walls instead. A short look shows that Tails is sitting on the floor, his eyes focused on the chamber's entry. Just like Renna, Veskassdak can notice a couple of faintly glowing runes; as well as a handful that shine brightly, certainly indicating that something is happening. Your host, however, does not seem too worried. He glances over as the lizardman moves, and gives him a nod. "Already up? I have to admit, I am curious how you fit in with all of this, Veskassdak." His paw motions over your companions, then over the dark doorway. Besides, he got your name almost right.

Seeing the glowing runes around the chamber's opening, Veskassdak thought 'Magic' and left it at that.
Turning towards the foxman, Veskassdak stated quietly so as not to awaken his companions while they took their much needed rest, "Not sssleep much needed. With them," indicating the rest of his party, "learning mammal waysss ssso when home back prepare tribe for when mammalsss find usss. Prefer no fight if can done be. Protect tribe better if know think way of mammal mind. Arsu'sayp Noprem protect family and home. If mammal invader come home to, tribe sssuited better to repel and exsspel. No fight want. Fight finisssh will. Knowledge weapon bessst."
Turning to look at those he now travels among, he continued, "They alliesss good. Ssshort time known, but know sssteadfassst be they. Protect bessst try me. Ssstill thingsss do they underssstand beyond me."
With that he settled down and drew a dried meat stick from his pouch. As he began to chew on it, he realized that he still wasn't sure what it was made from, but the short furfaced mammals back at the warcamp seemed to enjoy it.

Last edited:
The elder shows the knowing smile of someone who can relate to your words. "Most likely, you could spend decades alongside those three, and they'd still surprise you from time to time. No matter how hard you try, some parts of their minds will always remain mysterious." There is a long pause where only the lizardman's chewing can be heard, then Tails adds to those words. "But it never hurts trying. People here didn't, and that's how we got here. There are others of your kind down here, though with darker scales, and with little else in mind than war. It is refreshing to see another take on your culture than theirs."

Veskassdak was half-listening when the foxman's mention of the dark scaled Arsu'sayp Nohprem brought him back from his rumination. Turning his full attention to the being called "Tails", he asked, "Othersss like me? Pleassse more sssay. Unknowing isss they me by. Know I tribesss beyond Litayrkek, here time isss firssst ssso heard none them of now before. Battle thoughtsss filled inssside thossse? Warbringer attention to them come. Bad on them come. Indeed bad."

"There's not much more to add, I'm afraid. Similar in size, perhaps a bit smaller, and surprisingly hard to see in the darkness. As far as I'm aware, it's an entire tribe, roaming the realms in search for slaughter. The Beast allowed them to enter his territory, and they more or less serve him because of that - hard to control them, I'd assume." A pause as Tails once more checks the runes near the entry. "If we're lucky, we won't need to know much more than that."

With that, he once more turns silent, watching over you while most of you rest. As far as Veskassdak is aware, nothing happens; some of the runes continue in their flickering, but that's about it. Thanks to his short sleep, there is some time to pass until the others awake one by one, well-rested for the upcoming tasks.

The remaining time passes - in-between, Tails seems to doze off, and there is little reason to disturb his rest; no danger is in sight. When the other three wake up, he is already back on his feet, busy with grabbing various things from the shelves and stowing them away in a smaller bag. Food, different flasks, a blanket - undoubtedly, he prepares to leave. "Hope you rested well - the depths call, if I'm not mistaken. There might not be much time to linger as soon as we are on our way; prepare the best you can." He pauses. "There are different paths leading down from here - some lead us there quickly, others are safer. Let me know which ones you would prefer."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back