• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus (IC)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

BarrenThin2

Chapter 1
A Tale of Two Cities

~~~

Chaos has swallowed Baldur's gate, the city of your home.

The outer city has been flooded with refugees from Elturgard, reporting all manner of strange things. They speak of the city falling, almost as though it vanished from the world. Thavius Kreeg, Cleric of Torm and protector of the city, has vanished with Elturel's fall. Worse still, Grand Duke Ulder Ravengard, leader of the Council of Four and commander of the Flaming Fist was there on a mission of diplomacy and has not been heard from in a half a tenday. The influx of refugees and lack of leadership has led the Flaming Fist to closing the city's many gates. No one has been allowed in or out in days, as evidenced by angry mobs gathered at the gates- both of people wanting in and out. Such behavior is rarely met with anything other than violence.

The Fist's numbers are stretched thin, and so the lot of you, save Hafdan, have found yourselves more or less press-ganged into service. You've been given orders to report to one Captain Darmin Zodge at the Basilisk gate, armed with nothing but your gear and a vague description of Zodge as a man with dark hair and an eye-patch. Worse still, the thought is hard to avoid that this may all be a trap. Not two days ago, you all had a part to play in the murder of Holk Thinster. Perhaps the Fist has figured out your part in the killings, be it stabbing the man or simply not reporting it. No matter where you've gone, at night, when you're alone, you've felt this oppressive sense that you're being watched since the murder. Maybe it was the Fist investigating you.

Arriving at the Basilisk Gate, you didn't find guards waiting to arrest you. No, you founnd a riot. Dozens of Flaming Fist mercenaries were doing their best to hold back an angry mob trying to force their way through the gate. It took some minutes of searching pass before you found someone matching the description you were given of Zodge.

darminzodge.JPG

A few moments passed of this before a rock was hurled from the crowd, striking a Fist soldier's armor. Zodge leapt into the crowd with a roar, punching indiscriminately at whoever was in reach. His soldiers weren't far behind. The scuffle evaporated in seconds as anger turned to fear, but not before a few citizens were left beaten and bloody. Those left behind promptly had their coin purses taken by the Fist soldiers. Just another day in the City of Blood, and just another day dealing with the Flaming Fists. Turning his attention to you all, Zodge looked at you all expectantly. "You're my backup." The man didn't wait for a response; it wasn't a question. It was clear he didn't exactly have time to waste. "'Bout damn time."

“The refugee crisis has stoked fears that Baldur’s Gate might suffer the same fate as Elturel, of which nothing remains but a hole in the ground, apparently,"
Zodge continued with a wince. "Our grand duke, Ulder Ravengard, was visiting Elturel on a diplomatic mission when the city was destroyed. Coincidence? I think not. Top it all off, the self righteous pricks think we're to blame for Elturel's disappearance somehow." The soldier spit a glob of blood onto the stonework. "We're arresting Hellriders on sight, but that's left us shorthanded to handle another problem. For that I need you lot. I'm prepared to pay you two hundred gold coins each to deal with this issue. Interested? Talk fast."

Last edited:

• fe1fc8bc635f1d4c8cb5daead7293397.png
    N i m a
    Water Genasi - Level 1 Cleric - AC 19 - HP 12/12 - Walk 30 ft - Swim 30 ft
    STR 13 (+1) DEX 8 (-1) CON 18 (+4) INT 15 (+2) WIS* 19 (+4) CHA *11 (+0)

Nima felt her heart pounding as she made her way to the man known as Zodge, but her face showed utter confidence. It had been a very long time since she'd donned her custom made chain mail, and just having it on put more than just literal weight on her. She had her shield slung across her back and her mace tucked into her belt. Just this morning, she'd enchanted the shield with her holy symbol in hand, giving it a very faint magical aura of protection around it now. None of the rioters seemed to mess with her, whether it was because they were familiar with her craft, or just because she looked like a warrior armored up to fight a dragon, she didn't care. She was just happy to have made her way to the man.

Along with a larger party, she stood and listened. The man seemed battle hardened and pretty sick of the riots, which was pretty understandable. She kept quiet during his entire speech, closing her eyes for a few moments, but speaking up when he asked who was interested. "Sir, I... think there's a mistake." she clearly had some trouble talking back to the man. "I'm really not a fighter, you see.. I'm a smith, I've forged a good portion of the Flaming Fist's weapons, but..." she swallowed. This would be the first time in a long while that she'd actually refuse a request. The possible consequences of this filled her mind, and she eventually shook her head a bit and changed her mind with a soft sigh. "... Nothing, sir. 200 gold sounds fine, where do you need me?"

She really hadn't put much thought into the connection between this and the murder. Being a 'no questions asked'-type of smith in this kind of city had probably made her an accomplice to many a murder, but she never minded it.

BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2
    Mentioned: Lioness075 Lioness075
    Updates Put on armor, used Blessings of the Forge on shield

Last edited:

HP: 14
AC: 16/18
Passives:
  • Perception/WIS: 12
  • Investigation/INT: 9
  • Insight/WIS: 14
Battleaxe: +6, 1d8+4/1d10+4
Looking at the mess at the gate Hafdan's expression didn't change much - just another day in Baldur's Gate. He gave the wad of tobacco in his cheek a gentle chaw, puckered up, and spat a stream of tobacco juice into the gutter where it joined with the gods only knew what else was running there today. At Zodge's words his already squinting eyes closed a little more, then shifted back and forth a bit - either nervous about something, doing a tricky sum of adding 200 to something else in his head, or maybe both. Then he looked down at the obvious Flaming Fists uniform he already wore and his perpetual scowl visibly deepened.

With a shrug that seemed to say 200 gold is 200 gold, he answered Zodge, "I'm in!"

Ellya Ellya

Last edited:
  • Inula Mallian
    Lvl 1 Dogfolk Bard

"You think I have time to deal with you?!" The goblin sneered as he abruptly slammed his arm and leaned on the counter and of the small wooden stand. The spears that decorated the stand surrounded it like inanimate armed guards and warning of what would happen to anyone desperate enough to attempt to use force against the flaming fists, and there were crude crimson-red-painted scribles on the front of the stand that read "ration dispenser". I gulped, ears dropping to the side between the scare and the incessant shouting.

"B-but m-my vou-voucher said that I..."

"Your voucher said five rations. Who would give YOU a full week's worth of rations? Five days is pretty generous already for a mutt who doesn't look like she can lift a pen, let alone a sword. Are you trying to trick me, little girl? You want me to tell the captain we got someone tryin' to steal other's food? Fraud's not a pretty crime, you know? Especially not with this division's captain..."

"No, no, I wasn't what I meant, I swear, I just-"

"THEN DON'T WASTE MY TIME! Do you not hear those riots out there you half-rotten shovel! Off! Shoo! Shoo!"

"Y-YES!" I didn't think anymore, I just grabbed those wrapped up rations and hurried out of the place, almost dropping a couple before I finally managed to shove them into one of my sacks. Well, it would be a lie to say I wasn't in a hurry anyways, as I was still meant to meet up with captain Zodge at Basilisk Gate. As I'd learned in the past few weeks working for the flaming fists (on top of my other job), even mercenaries could be quite strict in terms of punctuality. Just thinking about it made my scalp ache a little. With a gulp, I picked up my pace...

As it turns out, however, that might not have been the best idea.

The first thing I bore witness to upon arriving was a small rock going tink as it bounced off one of the mercenary's armor. I couldn't help crouching down and covering my ears at the scene that followed: People, just regular people, getting pummeled into the ground by an armored man with a dark coat and an eyepatch. Why was he doing that? Those people were angry and scared at losing their home, surely this much was understandable?

No wait, that's not it. I began to raise my head as I noticed the crowd seemed to grow calmer for some reason. Yeah, maybe the people who were just attacked were making the other's more violent? Exploiting them, making them more unruly, forcing the man in the eyepatch to act. How could he know who they were though? Oh wait, that man seemed like how they described the captain! That was it, that HAD to be it! He could tell who the bad people there were because he was the captain. It was the fruit of much effort and experience that could give him such a discerning eye. I should learn from his noble example. I gazed again to the results of his work, those people in bloodied ragged clothing. I covered my mouth and bent on reflex.

Hopefully this nausea wouldn't catch up to me before the experience finally kicked in. It didn't seem to change nomatter how often I witnessed that sight. Especially after that doctor was... I shook my head. While I was still getting myself together, the captain began explaining the situation and why we were called in.

"The grand duke was...?! And such an accusation!" I gasped in both horror and indignation. So the rumors about Elturel were true... but to think the grand duke's absence was somehow related to it as well... Oh no, oh no, I spoke out of line didn't I? I looked side to side unsure of how to fix my mistake, and just through together some rushed salute with a really stretched back. "Apologies, uh, sir! My name is Inula, just Inula! I'd be happy to be of service sir!"

Not that I really knew what I could do to contribute. I wondered if anyone here liked stories? While one other recruit began protesting about lacking the skills (hopefully taking attention away from my mistake) I looked around to see if maybe I could get an answer to my question. I ended up spotting a few people I knew there, namely a certain dwarf named Hafdan, to whom I waved with a slightly nervous smile.

After the green woman pulled back, I 'sneakily' attempted to approach her, and whispered as I got close:

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find some way to help. We both will." And I gave her an encouraging grin.

okada-manabi-shingeki-no-bahamut-anime-inumimi-3404461-jpeg.790124

Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Hit Points: 9/9
    Hit Dice: 1d8
    Armor Class: 14
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft
    Passive Perception: 9
    Spellcasting Ability: Cha
    Spellsave DC: 15
    Spell Attack Bonus: +7

Bardic Inspirations: 5/5

Spells
Cantrips: (2)
*Guidance
*Prestidigitation

First Level: (4)
*Command
*Cure Wounds
*Sleep
*Speak With Animals [Ritual]

Items
Equipped:
*Rapier
*Wolf Pelts Leather Armor
*Sack x5
*Common Clothes
*Glasses

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
37 SP
147 CP

Carrying:
*Calligrapher's Supplies (magical focus, has an effect which magically produces paper)
*Forgery Kit
*Disguise Kit
*Dagger x3
*Ink Pen x5
*Bottle of Ink
*Academy Uniform Robes
*Rations (7 days)
*Glasses
*Chalk x3
*Blanket
*Small Knife
*Candles x10
*Tinder Box
*Rope (silk)
*Mess Kit
*Ladder (10 ft)
*Piton x3
*Parchment x10
*Hammer
*Tumbling Tales of Tom Tomb (book)
*Diary of a Princess (book)
*Practical Analysis of Arcane Script Pt1 (book)

Skills
Saving Throws:
Strength: 0
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +1
Intelligence: +3
Wisdom: -1
Charisma: +7

Skills:
Acrobatics: +3
Animal Handling: -1
Arcana: +5
Athletics: 0
Deception: +7
History: +3
Insight: -1
Intimidation: +5
Investigation: +5
Medicine: +1
Nature: +3
Perception: +1
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +9
Religion: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
Stealth: +3
Survival: -1

Passives

Researcher- When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Diplomat- If you spend 1 minute talking to someone who can understand what you say, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Insight) check. If you or your companions are fighting the creature, your check automatically fails. If your check succeeds, the target is charmed by you as long as it remains within 60 feet of you and for 1 minute thereafter.

-No mechanics Used

Interacting With: Ellya Ellya dr xenon dr xenon BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2 (Captain Zodge)
Mentions: N/A
Might Also Want to Read: Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Grond glowers, an expression that seems very natural to his face. "What's the job you need done? Two hundred gold each is a lot to offer. I'd like some info before just blindly agreeing to something."

Leandra.jpg
Name: Larassa LaFraeNicknames: Lara, Shadow
Class: RogueLevel: 1
Equipment: Shortbow & Arrows (20/20), Shortsword, 2x Daggers, Leather Armor (AC 16)

Had it been a year ago, Larassa would have been overjoyed at the idea of assisting the city guard for coin. Yet, she found herself dragging her paws to reach the meeting point, her eyes down at the street. She knew this city like the back of her paws, so there was little need to look up at anything else, a great aid when one needs to remain unseen and of little suspicion.
Rounding the corner to the Basilisk Gate, Larassa felt her heart skip a beat. She had gone beyond her own morals recently. What she had done, Larassa doubted even her brother would forgive her for. She did it for him, but she could not imagine that he would ever understand it. Her shoulder slumped at the racing thoughts of all the consequences about to unfold for her. She had been so confident with her plan up until the final moments. She had no doubt there was looming suspicion over her now. It was only a matter of time before they figured it out.

Still, Larassa paused hesitantly when she peered out from underneath her hood to see a riot before her and not a team of guards ready to arrest her right then and there. In no rush to find who had summoned her, Larassa stayed near the street she had just entered from and simply continued to stare at the riot. She had no coin right now and therefore, she felt no rush to assist any city guard.
Sighting who had summoned her, though, Larassa huffed and kicked a loose stone to watch it clatter across the street. This was all too poorly planned, or too perfectly planned. Either way, Larassa knew she was in trouble and her fur stood on end as she forced herself to join the growing party before this man.

Purposefully, Larassa hung back at the edge of the group, keeping her head down and remaining silent as a mouse. She had nothing to say here and figured that not walking away was enough of a point that she intended to remain. After all, leaving after the offer was put out would be far too obvious that she had been involved too deeply. Instead, she maintained her stealthy position in the back of the group.

Alas, Larassa could care less about what had happened to the city's leadership or any other towns. She shifted on her hind paws, struggling to stand still, as Zodge droned on about the city's problems and such. Still, the sound of two hundred coins jingling in her coin pouch sounded in Larassa's head and a faint smile could be seen from underneath her hood. Though, standing as short as 5'2", few would be able to see underneath her hood anyways.

As she waited for everyone else to voice their desire to stay or leave, Larassa quickly peered around the gathered party and narrowed her eyes when she sighted the Tiefling cleric she had bought her dagger from. That was troublesome. There were not many Tabaxi as short as herself and Larassa knew it was a trait that often gave away her identity before anything else.
Clenching her paws at her sides, Larassa's mind raced as she tried to think of excuses for where she had been and what she may have done with a simple dagger when she had gone to request it with two on her belt already. Such a simple mistake, yet she inwardly berated herself for it. She at least had never given her name or asked for the cleric's name in turn, but still.

Looking away from the cleric, Larassa now scowled at the sight of a city guard she had paid off a week or so ago in order to visit her brother in prison. Had the Flaming Fist already figured out all of the potential co-conspirators of this crime?
Larassa's ears flicked towards the dwarf and her scowl deepened when he seemed not to care in the slightest at being involved so soon after everything. Admittedly, he had no reason to suspect her already, but Larassa did not remotely feel comfortable knowing he was here again. It was no coincidence that she was running into anyone she had interacted with in the past week or two again.

Still, Larassa's attention was pulled in yet another direction, as some oddly dog-like person began speaking quite loudly. Narrowing her eyes at the woman's ears and paws for hands, Larassa found herself at a loss for what race she may be or if some enchantment had gone horribly wrong for her. Larassa had encountered the majority of the more common races in her life at Baldur's Gate, but someone with a dog-like appearance was new to her.
Fascinated by Inula's appearance, Larassa was distracted from anyone else's approach.

Roll(s): 20 for Stealth (passive perception of 20 or higher to notice her)

Interactions: N/A
Mentions: Ellya Ellya (Nima), dr xenon dr xenon (Hafdan), Idea Idea (Inula)
Nearby: BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2 (Zodge), Sherwood Sherwood (Grond)

Axtis' ears perk up when she hears the offer of 200 gold, but her natural instincts to keep alive prevent her from jumping on the offer. "Yeah, the big guy here has a good point. What's the job? Its kinda hard to spend the money when you're dead."

With arms crossed, the sturdy looking tabaxi regarded over the scene with a stern face. He stood beside a pale blue elf, and was making sure that none of the rabble got to close to her.

"You assume we have a choice in this." He said to the tiefling. "The gold is likely a front to keep our pride in check for joining on the threat of being....broken." he said to her.

He looked at the elf, and frowned. If she wasn't immune to the threats of the job. Then none of them were.

"The only acceptable answer is yes."

Ellya Ellya

Zodge's eye locked on Nima's face as the Genasi started to protest. The words died in her throat, but the intent in his look was clear. This was not a request. "Not a mistake. We need every able-bodied person in Baldur's Gate that isn't already in the Fist at our backs." Almost as though to accentuate his point, one of the nearly three dozen Flaming Fist soldiers behind him kicked one of the rioters in the ribs as they tried to get to their feet. The crowd had largely dispersed, fleeing in terror from the vastly better armed, armored and trained soldiers. Still, her agreement seemed to satisfy the man, who nodded before turning his attention to the rest of the rather large group that had arrived.

Idea Idea

In contrast to Nima's reluctance, Inula almost seemed too enthusiastic, as evidenced by the captain's furrowed eyebrow and suspicious stare. "... Right." The man made no effort to hide his scrutiny of Inula's appearance. It was like he was sizing her up. Not terribly surprising. It wasn't often that one responded so happily to being more or less bullied and threatened into military service. "I assume that you've already gathered that my name is Captain Darmin Zodge. I will be your commanding officer during your time with the Flaming Fist. Hopefully, it'll be a brief stay." It wasn't entirely clear whether this was intended as an insult, or to wish them luck in whatever they were being asked to do.

dr xenon dr xenon

Zodge nodded to the dwarf curtly. If anyone in the group actually didn't have a choice, it was probably Hafdan, seeing as he was already employed by the city, but the willingness to cooperate was good. "You'll keep this lot in line. Not in charge, per se, but make sure they don't set the Lower City on fire," Zodge paused, seeming to consider what he said, then added, "Without reason."

Lioness075 Lioness075

For Larassa's part, she felt pretty sneaky. It was less that she was properly hidden, being in the middle of the street in broad daylight, but no one really seemed to take note of her.

Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Psychie Psychie

The one-eyed scowl of the Flaming Fist Captain shifted to Grond and Axtis in turn. That same look he gave Inula seemed to scan them, again like he sizing the pair up. Granted, a Tiefling and a Dragonborn were hardly a common sight within Baldur's Gate (or anywhere, for that matter) so that probably contributed to the scrutiny he was sending their way. It seemed he was actually about to reprimand them when the large Tabaxi stepped in and more or less beat him to it. "I would prefer you all joined willingly. Refusing an order from a direct officer is tantamount to desertion. I've given you the courtesy of offering coin for your services. Do not make me regret it." While speaking, Zodge began to hand out small copper badges bearing the coat of arms of the Flaming Fist.

fist.PNG

Moving on to address the group as a whole, Zodge continued. “There's been a string of murders here in the Lower City. Mainly the refugees that got in before we closed the gates, but Baldurians, too. I've got a hunch that the Cult of the Dead Three is behind it. As my appointed deputies in this matter, you’ll have license to kill these wretches on sight. Find their lair, and wipe it out. Eliminate anyone who gets in your way, and don’t worry about collateral damage." There was no malice in his words, but he did seem very forthright. “As I've said, I’ll see that you each receive two hundred gold pieces in addition to my gratitude, which is worth considerably more. A few blocks from here is Elfsong Tavern."

Most all of you had heard of Elfsong, even those of you not familiar with the Lower City. So named for the spirit that haunted it, the spirit occasionally sang of her lost love. People frequent the place hoping to hear the spirit's song. "A spy named Tarina hangs out there, gathering rumors for the Guild. She owes me a favor, so tell her you work for me. Ask her what she knows about the Dead Three. And, for the love of Balduran, be nice. Tarina has dangerous friends.”

((Possible History or Religion check for the Cult of the Dead Three.))​

Hafdan charsheet
Passives:
Perception/WIS: 12
Investigation/INT: 9
Insight/WIS: 14
Nodding at Zodge's directions Hafdan seemed about to ask a question, then let the breath for it out in an exasperated sigh.

"Right you are, sir," he replied to Zodge instead with a gruff nod and a decently snapped salute. For a moment he again had that shifty eyed look of someone doing complex sums in their head, then added. "Shall we check in at the local Watch station for more information on the murders, sir?"

OOC:
History check @-1, Cult of the Dead Three = 4

Grond shrugs, the glower still on his face. "I was not refusing the order, just wanting more information about the job. Obviously, we'll take the assignment." This Cult sounds like a bunch of bad news. I am thinking that my blade will see a good workout before the day is done.

He turns to the others, then says to Hafdan, "Well, it seems like you are the one in charge of this little shindig. You wan to go check out the local watch, we can do that."

OOC No modifier on my History roll, so I got a 15

dr xenon dr xenon

Hafdan didn't really know anything more than was appropriate for any Baldurian to know. They were a violent cult with a very active presence in the city's past.

Idea Idea D. Rex D. Rex Sherwood Sherwood

Inula, Grond and Dragon, however, were a bit more well-informed. The cult comprised of worshippers of Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul, the lords of Murder, Tyranny and Death respectively. In the past, Bhaal has made plays against Baldur's Gate, namely through his progeny Sarevok, who was only thwarted through the efforts of another Bhaalspawn. It was believed these cults, perhaps the only religions Baldur's Gate has ever cared to regulate, had more or less gone extinct within the city because of the prejudice with which they were dispatched.​

Axtis nods and decides that now is not the time to try and negotiate a better price. After all, 200 gold is quite a good sum, and if it required a bit of knife work, so be it. Its not like this cult is a bunch of good people, right? The world will be a better place once they are gone.

N i m a
    Water Genasi - Level 1 Cleric - AC 18 - HP 12/12 - Walk 30 ft - Swim 30 ft

When the dog-like young girl ( Idea Idea ) snuck up behind Nima and spoke to her, the Genasi didn't give much of a response aside from a polite nod. She kept quiet, for the most part. Nima sighed and gave a nod as she took the small badge. She couldn't help but give a small exhale of breath as she felt it, seeming almost pliable in her chainmail-gloved fingers. Shoddy at best.

The Genasi turns to adress everyone and tell them that it would be wisest to stay behind her, but seeing all the different faces, some familiar and some not, made her close her mouth again. Everything she said and did could have consequences. So she merely nodded toward Zodge, slipping the badge into her pouch along with the holy symbol she kept hidden, then turning around and heading toward the direction that was pointed out to her, toward the Elfsong Tavern. She wasn't much for busy taverns, but 200 gold would make up for that.

"Tasina..." she sighed quietly to herself, grabbing her shield in her left hand and her mace in her right, keeping them close at hand mostly for intimidation purposes. "Anyone needs protecting, stay close..." she did end up saying, already regretting it as soon as she opened her mouth.

Updates Religion check (+4) just for the hell of it

Leandra.jpg
Name: Larassa LaFraeNicknames: Lara, Shadow
Class: RogueLevel: 1
Equipment: Shortbow & Arrows (20/20), Shortsword, 2x Daggers, Leather Armor (AC 16)

Larassa was intrigued to hear if the captain would give them anything else to work with beyond a reward and destination. Alas, they were not given too much beyond the fact they essentially were hired to get rid of a cult.

Overhearing the other Tabaxi speaking, Larassa felt grim as she came to the same conclusion. There was no choice here, they were not getting paid out to do this. It was merely added incentive to get the job done.

Watching one of the rioters feebly try to attack the mercenaries, Larassa rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest. This was probably not going to go smoothly. This group was a ragtag team that had just been shoved together to eradicate a cult. The many ways this could go wrong raced through Larassa's mind.
If there was one thing Larassa agreed with, it was that she hoped this was a brief stay and she could get away from the Flaming Fist as fast as possible once this cult was dealt with.

Casual threats were tossed around and then badges were handed out. Larassa slipped forward to take one and then returned to her position behind the group, looking down at the badge curiously. She turned it over a few times and then pocketed it, not entirely keen on having any relation to the Flaming Fist.

With little to no knowledge about any cults in the city, Larassa felt inclined to let others take the lead on this. She would do as little as was required of her and just get this over with. Though, the mention of killing anyone caused Larassa to flinch. It was too soon, far too soon, for her to be comfortable killing anyone. She decided to do her best to simply render the cultists unconscious and maim them instead. If anyone objected to it, they could surely end the cultists after Larassa had downed them in her own way.
As the others continued to converse, Larassa stared down at her paws with blood on her mind. She felt herself growing distant from the current scene.

She snapped out of it when visiting a local Watch station was suggested. Luness looked up sharply at this and bit her lip. If they spent too much time around these Flaming Fist idiots, she was bound to be recognized.
Worriedly, Larassa looked around the group, hoping someone else would suggest the Elfsong Tavern instead.

Yet, it seemed like a blessing in disguise, as the cleric herself turned away from the group and simply started heading in the direction of the Elfsong Tavern.
Larassa was surprised and stared for a moment before looking around at the group. Nobody else made a move yet and she tried to not look too excited, as she trotted after the cleric. Mindfully not wanting to walk side-by-side, Larassa hung back, simply trailing after the cleric as if she were a shadow. Not that she desired any protection per say, but the cleric was the only other one walking this way at the moment.

Rolls: N/A

Interactions: Ellya Ellya (Nima)
Mentions: BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2 (Zodge), D. Rex D. Rex (Fallen Dragon), dr xenon dr xenon (Hafdan)
Nearby: Psychie Psychie (Axtis), Sherwood Sherwood (Grond), Idea Idea (Inula)

Hafdan charsheet
Passives:
He turns to the others, then says to Hafdan, "Well, it seems like you are the one in charge of this little shindig. You wan to go check out the local watch, we can do that."

"Hells no! Not in charge, you heard the Captain!" Hafdan blurted out to the Dragonborn. He looked about as comfortable as a sacrilegious cleric confronted by their deity. "But if I'm s'posed to keep this lot out of trouble I guess we should stick together for now. We can go to the Watch station after - or some of us anyway."

Casting about quickly he spied Inula and called to her.

"Ho there Inula! Glad you're in this. You've got a good way with people, yeh? Maybe you can do the talking with ... erm ... Tarina?"

He looks about at the rest of the conscripted Watch-folks.

"C'mon then! We're off!" He starts heading after Nima and Larassa. Talking as he goes. "I'm Hafdan Knappers - most folks call me Danno 'round here. Let's catch up with those other two."

He gestures at Larassa and Axtis's retreating forms.

(interacting with Idea Idea , Sherwood Sherwood , mentions Psychie Psychie , Lioness075 Lioness075 )

Guinevere looked unenthusiastically at Zodge, shifting her weight from one leg to the other.
She stood one arm crossed across her body and hooked on the other that was placed languidly on her chest.
She didn't like his demeanor and felt this could potentially be a massive waste of her time.

That being said, Guinevere wasn't exactly swimming in gold at the moment. The opportunity to gain some additional funding for her little endeavor was a bit too tempting to give up.
Besides, she'd have her people do most of the heavy lifting anyway; literally and figuratively.

Guin scoffed at the comment of being "broken".
The fact these men could brutalize her wasn't what she challenged, clearly they could.
It was that if they did, it would spell just as unsavory a fate for them as it would for her.

She stared off pensively as Dragon addressed her.
"Yes....I suppose it is." She ceded to him, in a low conversational tone. "We'll just have to play along...so far as it's convenient anyway."

The moonelf stepped forward a tad and spoke aloud.
"Guinevere Vannath at your service, good Captain." She said doing a minute, almost sarcastic curtsy. "I'll need 3 sets of wages, however. One for me, and one for each of my.....retainers." Dragon had never come across as a fan of being called a servant and Inula was far from a bodyguard. She chose her words to be somewhat accurate but save her a thumping from her grouchy escort.

Last edited:
  • Inula Mallian
    Lvl 1 Dogfolk Bard

Grond was here too? He was asking for more information about our mission before accepting or rejecting it. That was smart, I should have thought of that, shouldn't I? Still, knowing he was here was reassuring, he always seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, way better than mine in fact. Fortunately, it seemed as though he was in after all, though I didn't find out until the captain chilled my spine with his stare.

It seemed as though they wanted us to go deal with some manner of evil cult that was causing trouble, and talk to a spy named Tarina who seemingly had very dangerous friends. I shivered just at the thought of it (though maybe the whole "chilled spine" thing played a part too). Good thing was someone more adjusted seemed in charge, or maybe he wasn't cause he complained saying he was not actually in charge? I looked side to side trying to piece together what I was supposed to do, so when the genasi told those of us (me certainly) who needed protecting, I breathed a sigh of relief and timidly inched closer to her, while making hesitant attempts to grab her arm. If she looked at me, I would give her a nervous smile.

That's when Hafdan called out to me in response to my wave from earlier. I peeked out behind me while trying to make sure I kept pace with the Genasi and nodded meekly at his request, perhaps with a slight blush from the compliment.

"Iii'm not sure if I can really say I'm all THAT good with people, but I'm no Peter the Skipper, I'll do my best!" I cried out back. Although the dwarf had already given his name, I decided to keep mine to myself until the group was closer together, that way I could avoid having to repeat it.

Spells
*Guidance
*Prestidigitation

*Command
*Cure Wounds
*Sleep

Items
Equipped:
*Rapier
*Sack x5
*Common Clothes
*Glasses

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
37 SP
147 CP

Carrying:
*Calligrapher's Supplies (magical focus, has an effect which magically produces paper)
*Forgery Kit
*Disguise Kit
*Dagger x3
*Ink Pen x5
*Bottle of Ink
*Academy Uniform Robes
*Rations (7 days)
*Glasses
*Chalk x3
*Blanket
*Small Knife
*Candles x10
*Tinder Box
*Rope (silk)
*Mess Kit
*Ladder (10 ft)
*Piton x3
*Parchment x10
*Hammer

Skills
Saving Throws:

Skills:

Passives

Researcher- When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Diplomat- If you spend 1 minute talking to someone who can understand what you say, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Insight) check. If you or your companions are fighting the creature, your check automatically fails. If your check succeeds, the target is charmed by you as long as it remains within 60 feet of you and for 1 minute thereafter.

History Check To Know about the Cult of the Dead Three (16)

Interacting With: Ellya Ellya dr xenon dr xenon
Mentions: BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2 (Captain Zodge) Sherwood Sherwood
Might Also Want to Read: D. Rex D. Rex Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

N i m a
    Water Genasi - Level 1 Cleric - AC 18 - HP 12/12 - Walk 30 ft - Swim 30 ft

When she felt a presence reaching for her arm, the Genasi's first instinct was to quickly pull it away, even seeming to prepare for a strike with the mace that arm was holding. She quickly recognized the girl as being the one from before though, and lowered her weapon again. Frowning lightly and squinting a bit in confusion, she looked at the girl while walking. She was young. Very young. Why in the world would she be summoned for a task like this?

Without a word, Nima just looked ahead of her again, keeping up her pace but not making any moves to get the girl off of her arm. If she was summoned, she must have at least some ability to fight. And if they were to survive this trek through the violent city, they might need all they could get. It couldn't hurt to give the girl some backup, but there was no way Nima was going to lay her life on the line for any of these people.

"If a fight breaks out, let go or you'll get hit" she simply said to the girl that was now holding on to her mace arm.

Idea Idea

Zodge looked down at Hafdan with a frown. "No, they won't be able to tell you anything I haven't already. Tarina's the only lead I have, but, frankly, once you walk away what you do next is on you. Long as it's taken care of, I couldn't care less." The implication was either poorly hidden to the more insightful of the group, or he was making no attempt to hide it at all. By pawning this off on the party, he would have a scapegoat to pawn failure off on. On the flipside, if they succeeded, he could take credit. There really wasn't a downside from his side of the equation, save the grisly murders that were apparently plaguing the city, if he really cared about those beyond the effect on his career. "Watch the alleyways. Don't trouble any other Fist members, they're too busy to help you unless you get attacked in the street."

Turning his attention to Guinevere, Zodge smiled, though the expression didn't meet his one good eye. "Yes, I know who you are, Lady Vannath. The pleasure is mine." In response to her almost mocking curtsey, he gave a definitely mocking bow. "Thank you so much for the service you are providing for the city. It is truly moving to see a Patriar humble herself so, for the good of Baldur's Gate." As with the scapegoat theory, quicker members of the party were able to discern the barely hidden disdain. With Grand Duke Ravengard gone, and Zodge clearly vying for some kind of control in the city, he was in a position of power over her, he knew it, and he was going to rub it in. "I'll be sure your retainers are appropriately compensated for their work." When the majority of the group walked away, Zodge nodded after them. "You'll probably want to catch up, unless you have something else you need. I wouldn't want to be walking through the city alone right now."

Even walking a few short blocks in Baldur's Gate was not without its dangers. The Flaming Fist was out in force in a way none of you had ever seen, and was accosting just about everyone they came across. Anyone brave, stupid, or, frankly, poor enough to not comply with their demands was swiftly beaten and robbed blind. Once or twice, it seemed like one of them was eyeing you up, but quick looks at the badges you all possessed dissuaded any attempts to come at you, and your great numbers seemed to send any common thugs that might be lurking around packing. Difficult to pickpocket someone with seven other friends around.

Elfsong itself was a middling tavern as you approached, two stories tall with the quiet sound of conversation trickling in through the open windows. Now, all of you being Baldurians, you knew better than to trust the apparent friendliness of such a place. Anyone that survives longer than a tenday within the city does. Taverns might seem safe at a glance, but they are among the most dangerous places in the city. Full of alcohol, temping coin and unscrupulous folk, customers are expected to look after themselves, and can expect no help or sympathy from the Flaming Fist. Tavern murders are common, and usually end up with the poor victim being dragged away to be dropped in a nearby alley or tossed in the harbor. Stepping inside, the warmth of the hearth greets you, though a familiar hush hung over the room for those that had ever visited the place before.

A woman's voice, singing in Elvish, filled the tavern. It was low enough to not interrupt conversation, but most all the patrons fell silent, as they usually did throughout the song. For those that understood Elvish, it was as you remembered, or had heard: A mournful, melancholy song about someone's lost love.

I cry out for my lover,
I hunger for his embrace.
I will not rest 'till I know he
Is safe and in this place.
I cry out for his freedom,
From where he's kept outside his consent
I know that he fights for his freedom,
I pray he does not relent.
I cry out for his wellbeing
That his own self shall endure,
My only wish is that he returns
Safe, unharmed and secure.
I cry out for the pain I feel,
The uncertainty that lies in my heart,
Until all my fears are relieved,
I cannot peacefully depart.

The song faded away as the spirit concluded the tune. As if on queue, conversation resumed throughout the establishment. To your sides at the entrance of the door stood two bouncers: What seemed to be an empty suit of armor, standing at attention, and a woman that reminded you of a skinnier, shorter ogre, though she still stood an easy eight feet tall. Across the room behind the bar stood a middle-aged half elf serving drinks to the patrons at the bar. Furtively, he glanced at the large group of heavily armed individuals that had just entered his establishment, but he didn't say anything. If they were here to kill someone, it was clear he wasn't going to get in their way. Elsewhere, a group of patrons seeming to be playing Baldur's Bones, brought to your attention by the rowdy laugh from a broad-shouldered half-orc sitting at a table with a few others, scooping coins towards himself. Sitting alone, a human man in ragged fineries scribbled frantically into a book. A bit of ink had stained his chin where he had pressed the tip of his quill while lost in thought.

In general, the room was quite full. Well-armed patrons sat huddled together around tables or in private booths. A brave drunk had passed out on a couch against the wall, next to which was a box that seemed to contain several different games. To your right was a staircase up, and at different points throughout the room there were exits you could assume went to the kitchen or private rooms.

elfsong.PNG

Glancing around, if Tarina was here alone, there wasn't really any one woman by themselves immediately visible.

Idea Idea dr xenon dr xenon Ellya Ellya Sherwood Sherwood Lioness075 Lioness075 D. Rex D. Rex Psychie Psychie Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Hafdan charsheet
Dwarf FIghter - Axe & ShieldView attachment 791496
Passives:
With that puzzled expression on his face, like he was dividing a four-digit number by 17 in his head, Hafdan took in the room.

Finally seeming to come up with a solution, he nods to Fallen Dragon and definitely does not speak in a commanding way. In fact, he almost sounds apologetic. "Maybe you take a couple round back to the alley to make sure no one runs for it?"

Turning to Grond he adds, "Maybe you and block the stairs?"

Turning to NIma, "Maybe you watch this door with what's left?"

He turns to Inula, "And you and me go to have a chat with the barkeep to see where Tarina might be, aye?"

Sherwood Sherwood , Ellya Ellya , D. Rex D. Rex

OOC: INT check on what to do in the tavern = 16.

Last edited:
  • Inula Mallian
    Lvl 1 Dogfolk Bard

When the group was finally gathered together again, Inula spoke up.

"M-my name is Inula! Just Inula, so...I guess you can call me that. You could say I'm good at writing stuff, if you need anything. Oh I can cheer you up if you're feeling down, I-I hope..."

Wow, that place sure looked rowdy! Who was the person we were supposed to be talking to again? Were they even in here? I nudged over to the first girl I spotted. Even if they weren't the right person, maybe they knew who she was?

"Excuse me, may I ask if you are Tarina?"

Spells
*Guidance
*Prestidigitation

*Command
*Cure Wounds
*Sleep

Items
Equipped:
*Rapier
*Sack x5
*Common Clothes
*Glasses

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
37 SP
147 CP

Carrying:
*Forgery Kit
*Disguise Kit
*Dagger x3
*Ink Pen x5
*Bottle of Ink
*Academy Uniform Robes
*Rations (7 days)
*Glasses
*Chalk x3
*Blanket
*Small Knife
*Candles x10
*Tinder Box
*Rope (silk)
*Mess Kit
*Ladder (10 ft)
*Piton x3
*Parchment x10
*Hammer

Skills
Saving Throws:

Skills:

Passives

No actions

Interacting With: Ellya Ellya dr xenon dr xenon Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Psychie Psychie Lioness075 Lioness075 BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2 (the ogre lady)
Mentions: N/A
Might Also Want to Read:

With that puzzled expression on his face, like he was dividing a four-digit number by 17 in his head, Hafdan took in the room.

Finally seeming to come up with a solution, he nods to Fallen Dragon and definitely does not speak in a commanding way. In fact, he almost sounds apologetic. "Maybe you take a couple round back to the alley to make sure no one runs for it?"

Turning to Grond he adds, "Maybe you and block the stairs?"

Turning to NIma, "Maybe you watch this door with what's left?"

He turns to Inula, "And you and me go to have a chat with the barkeep to see where Tarina might be, aye?"

Sherwood Sherwood , Ellya Ellya , D. Rex D. Rex

OOC: INT check on what to do in the tavern = 16.
Fallen Dragon looked around the tavern with little interest in a plan at this point. If he had it his way, he was fine with finding this woman through sheer violence. Or paying others to fork her over. But he could wait, for now.

The dwarf seemed to have had a good enough plan. "Very well." He said, looking to his party and sizing them up.

He pointed at the tiefling and the other Tabaxi.( Psychie Psychie Lioness075 Lioness075 ) "You will do. Me and the Elf, you two. We will each take a corner. All we got to do is make sure no one sneaks out. If they do... we break their knees and ask them why they thought it was a good idea. "

Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back