• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus (IC)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Guinevere dodged the dockworkers as if they had the plague, pushing herself up against the wall as they passed.
They smelled far from pleasantly to her.
Looking about the room her grimace shifted to an inquisitive look, raising a single eyebrow at the woman.

She didn't stop Inula from moving forward and offering to gamble as some kind of good will gesture. But, she did tilt her head up slightly and blink slowly, portraying a bit of vexation from it. She felt there really was no need.

Before Inula could respond Guin cut in.
"You would wager correctly." She interjected. "And I would wager you know he didn't send us to play your little dice games so spare us the trivialities." Her tone was smooth as silk and not perceptively aggressive.
She almost came across as if she was asking her instead of telling her.

Guinevere drew Inula back in next to her and away from the table.
"Those dice are likely as weighted as that coin purse of yours."

Idea Idea BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2

Psychie Psychie Lioness075 Lioness075 D. Rex D. Rex

Dragon was, as he had been when he previously felt this way, unable to find the source of the sensation. The alley had people pass by its exits pretty frequently, and there was no sign of anyone standing on the nearby rooftops. If someone was following him, they were very good at avoiding discovery. Further down the alley, the pirate barely had any time to react when a handful of ball bearings were scattered at his feet. "Bah- Bloody Hells!" He shouted involuntarily, definitely loud enough for Dragon and Axtis to hear it as well. Immediately, he dashed to get away, only to step on a few of the bearings and promptly fall to the stonework. His head slammed against the cobblestone of the alley with a crack, where he was left groaning in pain.​

Fallen Dragon was jolted from his observations by the commotion from another side of the tavern. He snapped his head in that direction and quickly moved in case the tabaxi or tiefling needed help.

Passing the corner he would see the man on the ground, stopping short of the ball bearings on the ground. "What have we here?" He said in a deep voice.

BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2
Would Dragon notice Lara?

Ellya Ellya Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Idea Idea dr xenon dr xenon

Tarina's smile didn't fade at the rebuttal, but the look in her eyes became considerably more icy. Leaning back in her chair once more, she tapped the edge of the table with her finger. "I'm sure he didn't. I'm sure he sent ye to ask me for something, be it information or a favor." Tarina's arms folded over her chest, her legs shortly put back up on the table. "Very well, Vannath." Almost as though to accentuate her point, the woman glanced to the others in the room. "Inula, Nima and Hafdan, however; I'll let them make their own decisions about whether they want to play, aye? I would never cheat you so unsubtly as to use weighted dice. Feel free to check all of them." Her eyes settled back onto the patriar coldly. "Ye know, it's really quite rude to leave the help waiting outside. I would have loved to have met them."

Tilting her head to the side almost inquisitively, she continued. "What is a patriar doing out of the Upper City during a time like this anyways?" She clicked her tongue derisively. "Have ye forgotten that yer name means nothing down here with the rats?" Tarina stared at Guinevere for a few seconds, before yawning deeply, stretching in her chair like a cat. "Well? Ask away. Maybe I'll even answer."

D. Rex D. Rex Psychie Psychie Lioness075 Lioness075

Unless Lara actively revealed herself, Fallen Dragon would be unable to spot her without an active search. The man on the ground, still very much conscious, scrambled frantically for the cutlass at his side. Blood stained the cobblestone where the back of his head had slammed into it, so he was likely fairly disoriented, but he was still rushing to defend himself, regardless of how disadvantageous his position was. "Oh Hells oh Hells oh Hells oh Hells oh Hells-"

Still, the trio would have more than enough time to act before he could draw his weapon, injured and disoriented as he was.

AC: 12
HP: 10/11
Friendly reminder that attacks can be declared nonlethal if they would reduce a creature to 0 HP. If grappling or otherwise contested rolls are required, I'll roll the check/save here.

Last edited:
Ellya Ellya Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Idea Idea dr xenon dr xenon

Tarina's smile didn't fade at the rebuttal, but the look in her eyes became considerably more icy. Leaning back in her chair once more, she tapped the edge of the table with her finger. "I'm sure he didn't. I'm sure he sent ye to ask me for something, be it information or a favor." Tarina's arms folded over her chest, her legs shortly put back up on the table. "Very well, Vannath." Almost as though to accentuate her point, the woman glanced to the others in the room. "Inula, Nima and Hafdan, however; I'll let them make their own decisions about whether they want to play, aye? I would never cheat you so unsubtly as to use weighted dice. Feel free to check all of them." Her eyes settled back onto the patriar coldly. "Ye know, it's really quite rude to leave the help waiting outside. I would have loved to have met them."

Tilting her head to the side almost inquisitively, she continued. "What is a patriar doing out of the Upper City during a time like this anyways?" She clicked her tongue almost derisively. "Have ye forgotten that yer name means nothing down here with the rats?" Tarina stared at Guinevere for a few seconds, before yawning deeply, stretching in her chair like a cat. "Well? Ask away. Maybe I'll even answer."

Unless Lara actively revealed herself, Fallen Dragon would be unable to spot her without an active search. The man on the ground, still very much conscious, scrambled frantically for the cutlass at his side. Blood stained the cobblestone where the back of his head had slammed into it, so he was likely fairly disoriented, but he was still rushing to defend himself, regardless of how disadvantageous his position was. "Oh Hells oh Hells oh Hells oh Hells oh Hells-"

Still, the trio would have more than enough time to act before he could draw his weapon, injured and disoriented as he was.

AC: 12
HP: 10/11
Friendly reminder that attacks can be declared nonlethal if they would reduce a creature to 0 HP. If grappling or otherwise contested rolls are required, I'll roll the check/save here.

Fallen Dragon would have looked for the other tabaxi, but the now growing threat of the man now took priority.

Bringing his fist to meet the palm of his other hand with a threatening *smack*, Dragon walked closer to the pirate, "If you wish to keep all your limbs in proper function... then I would not try that if I were you." He said grimly.

"Living, broken, or dead. You will cooperate one way or the other. Stay down... human. For your own health."

Would like to roll for Intimidation.

Intimidation: 20

The pirate looked at the long claws that extended from Dragon's hand, then back up into his face from where he still lied on the stonework. He swallowed hard, his hand slowly moving away from the cutlass's hilt. "Right." A nervous grin, full of missing and rotten teeth broke the man's terrified expression. Without really any prompting, he took the scimitar from his waist and slid it across the stonework away from both himself and the pair that he could see. The sword pretty much ended up at Lara's feet. "This is all a misunderstandin', guv. Wan' me coin purse? I ain't go' much, but I ain' gonna be no trouble."

• fe1fc8bc635f1d4c8cb5daead7293397.png
    N i m a
    Water Genasi - Level 1 Cleric - AC 18 - HP 12/12 - Walk 30 ft - Swim 30 ft
    STR 13 (+1) DEX 8 (-1) CON 18 (+4) INT 15 (+2) WIS* 19 (+4) CHA *11 (+0)

Nima vigilantly stood guard just by the stairs, and when the little girl known as Inula made her way up to the woman to challenge her to a game, Nima only inhaled and shook her head lightly. She wasn't going to stop her this time. All children in this city needed to learn as soon as possible just how bad the people here can be, and it was baffling that Inula hadn't seemed to have learned about that yet. But then agian, under the wing of someone as uptight as the moon elf, Nima figured it may be normal that the pair were a bit out of touch with reality.

As she shook her head at the pair so brazenly, her eyes went to Tarina to gauge her reaction, but she was met with a... smile her way. Not a cocky one, but a very friendly smile. Frowning a bit, akwardly unfamiliar with this, she looked away for a few seconds. Sure, some of her clients had tried to take their relationship beyond professional, but just like this time, she'd usually avoided it for her own reasons.

She then heard some even more foolish words being said. The moon elf took up some attitude with the woman they were sent to seek, and even accused her of cheating. At this point, they were just jeapordizing the mission they were sent here for, and something had to be done. Zodge had very clearly said to be nice to the woman, warning that she had dangerous friends. And in this town, that was quite significant. She would tell Tarina to not mind the pair, and that they forget their place, but frankly she didn't care what happened to them. They messed up.

"Before you continue dealing with these... fools and their wants, tell us what you know about the Cult of the Dead Three" she quickly spoke, taking a few steps toward the table. "Zodge did send us and he requests the information you know. After we're informed of this, we can leave you to play your games with these two." Nima didn't even give as much as a look toward Inula and Guinevere as she spoke.

Idea Idea Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide dr xenon dr xenon

• Inula Mallian
    Lvl 1 Dogfolk Bard

The woman's unexpected good demeanor caught me by surprise, I must admit. A lot of potential reactions had come to mind, but a gentle smile and an offer for a seat were not among them. Like, maybe she would complain that I wasn't betting enough coins or she would growl at me or punch me for speaking to her unprompted... Even as I headed to a seat I still kept my arms covering my back just in case she meant to put that knife of hers to use once my back was turned. She got me in other ways, however. When she winked at me and pointed out that I didn't even know how to play the game I had to resist the urge to hide my face as the realization made my ears drop down and my cheeks redden. Then my boss spoke.

"Lady Vannath?" Was all I could say, surprised. Did I screw up again? I thought the gambling would be a good cover for her to talk to us? Or maybe I just said something off that would ruin that plan too. I didn’t get why lady Vannath was now accusing Tabita of being a cheater, I mean I thought we were supposed to be nice to people if we wanted something from them, no? Still, surely lady Vannath had her reasons for doing what she did, and the Genasi’s insults were uncalled for. I pouted in the Genasi’s direction for a moment.

It was then that a certain realization hit me: We had not given our names, yet this Tanira already knew them! Did the captain tell her what our names were?

”H-how do you know our names?” No, wait, that was a bad question wasn’t it? But I still wasn’t sure if I could just bring up the cult like that, out in the open... I could ask about the murders, but what if the person who did it was listening? Besides, she seemed mad now. I shivered. Then again, what choice did we have? It was what we came for, and both the genasi and lady Vannath were keen on getting to the point. ”M-mi... No, lady Tanira? I hope I wasn’t rude or anything, proposing to play a game I don’t know how to play... Like our friend said, we were told you had some information for us about uhm, uh, some bodies? That were found. I-I believe that lady Vannath just meant we wouldn’t want to bother you more than necessary, right lady Vannath? We’ve come to help, after all.”

There were plenty of those around, so maybe it wouldn’t give away any particulars to mention the murders that way. If she knew what Zodge claimed she did, and was this informed, surely she would pick up on it!

okada-manabi-shingeki-no-bahamut-anime-inumimi-3404461-jpeg.790124

Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Hit Points: 9/9
    Hit Dice: 1d8
    Armor Class: 14
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft
    Passive Perception: 9
    Spellcasting Ability: Cha
    Spellsave DC: 15
    Spell Attack Bonus: +7

Bardic Inspirations: 5/5

Spells
Cantrips: (2)
*Guidance
*Prestidigitation

First Level: (4)
*Command
*Cure Wounds
*Sleep
*Speak With Animals [Ritual]

Items
Equipped:
*Rapier
*Wolf Pelts Leather Armor
*Sack x5
*Common Clothes
*Glasses

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
37 SP
147 CP

Carrying:
*Calligrapher's Supplies (magical focus, has an effect which magically produces paper)
*Forgery Kit
*Disguise Kit
*Dagger x3
*Ink Pen x5
*Bottle of Ink
*Academy Uniform Robes
*Rations (7 days)
*Glasses
*Chalk x3
*Blanket
*Small Knife
*Candles x10
*Tinder Box
*Rope (silk)
*Mess Kit
*Ladder (10 ft)
*Piton x3
*Parchment x10
*Hammer
*Tumbling Tales of Tom Tomb (book)
*Diary of a Princess (book)
*Practical Analysis of Arcane Script Pt1 (book)

Skills
Saving Throws:
Strength: 0
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +1
Intelligence: +3
Wisdom: -1
Charisma: +7

Skills:
Acrobatics: +3
Animal Handling: -1
Arcana: +5
Athletics: 0
Deception: +7
History: +3
Insight: -1
Intimidation: +5
Investigation: +5
Medicine: +1
Nature: +3
Perception: +1
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +9
Religion: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
Stealth: +3
Survival: -1

Passives

Researcher- When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Diplomat- If you spend 1 minute talking to someone who can understand what you say, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Insight) check. If you or your companions are fighting the creature, your check automatically fails. If your check succeeds, the target is charmed by you as long as it remains within 60 feet of you and for 1 minute thereafter.

Rolled persuasion check (27) to get on Tanira’s good side with her request.

Interacting With: Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2

Mentions: Ellya Ellya dr xenon dr xenon

Might Also Want To Read: N/A

Last edited:
Guinevere was used to being known by strangers. Tarina addressing her by name didn't do anything to unsettle her like it did the others.

This wasn't the first time Lady Vannath has had to deal with the rabble of the lower districts. Her father had lived more than long enough to see his fair share in relation to Baldur's Gate.
A man to have seen battle in Dragonspear (twice), her father had told her that the last thing you want to do when dealing with unsavory sorts was play their games and let them control the conversation.

Guinevere interpreted that as not humoring their eccentricities and always assuming they're playing at something.
Given the fact she actually had very little interest in the situation, she opted for the most direct route. Tell us what we want to know and we'll be on our way.
She had no interest in making friends with a slumlord and, much like Zodge, knew that if things went awry she could just abandon ship. No harm, no foul; to her anyway.

Guinevere made note of Tarina's verbiage. "-Never cheat you so unsubtly..."
An interesting choice of words, she would likely cheat them some other way. This woman couldn't even be trusted half as far as she could be thrown.

"You would cheat us more tactfully then..." she commented.

Guin didn't like the situation. It was like being told to go and buy the a horse from someone who had no interest selling it.
The way she saw it the information was going to cost them. Either assets or time.

Her golden eyes shot toward the Genasi as she spoke, the furrow of her brow saying "Who in the 9 hells do you think you're talking to?"

"Your dice disinterests even the mudblood." She added venomously, the comment addressing Nima as much as it did Tarina.
Guin found it almost embarrassing that the leaf-colored girl would call her a fool and then proceed to almost echo what she had said earlier.

Thoroughly unenthused by the present company, the Lady made sure Inula was close and wished Dragon was as well.
She would just leave with them and go on their merry way if she didn't know she'd never hear the end of it. Missing out on money when they would be likely to need it.

She spoke up one last time.
"Your games and gimics may be able to impress the dull and frighten the weak-willed, but I'm not so easily moved. We have come for information. You either have it, or you do not."

BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2 Idea Idea Ellya Ellya

Last edited:

The pirate looked at the long claws that extended from Dragon's hand, then back up into his face from where he still lied on the stonework. He swallowed hard, his hand slowly moving away from the cutlass's hilt. "Right." A nervous grin, full of missing and rotten teeth broke the man's terrified expression. Without really any prompting, he took the scimitar from his waist and slid it across the stonework away from both himself and the pair that he could see. The sword pretty much ended up at Lara's feet. "This is all a misunderstandin', guv. Wan' me coin purse? I ain't go' much, but I ain' gonna be no trouble."
Axtis steps forward and glares down at the pirate. "No, we are not here to rob you, of your coin or your life. What are you doing out here?" She eyes the man to make sure he doesn't pull out a hidden weapon from somewhere to try and attack them.

N i m a

Nima turned her head toward the Moon Elf. Her eyes glared and the grip around her mace tightened as her mind raced with every possible way she could find Guinevere's brain matter on her weapon later. But she knew that she was in front of a prominent Guild member. A fight breaking out here would surely result in the failing of the mission, her losing the trust of the Guild and likely people getting killed. Even after such a distasteful and plainly racist comment, she tried to keep acting in the best interest of the mission.

... kind of. She took a few large strides toward Tarina, grabbed a chair and sat herself down on it beside her. "The Elf's stupidity does not represent the rest of us. The highborn pricks are used to shitting on people like us from above and grew up without learning respect." While she spoke, Nima reached into the pouch at her side and subtly pulled out her Holy Symbol, keeping it hidden under the table while showing it to Tarina. A toothed cog with four spokes. The symbol that she placed on every weapon she made, and one that was likely on a large portion of the Guild's weaponry. With that, she placed her mace on the floor and turned it so that the woman could see the same symbol on her mace, just to really get the message through.

She gave a meaningful look into the woman's eyes for a while before putting the symbol away again. "I do understand respect. I know the life people like us grew up in." Before she continued, she closed her eyes a moment and thought. It just hit her that they were here to ask a favor from a Guild member. Nima didn't do favors. Favors meant debt, and debt usually meant more and more debt until it became impossible to pay back. She sighed softly. "Please. Tell it to her, to me, or Zodge directly, I don't care. We just need to get this done and I can go back to being of service. This... isn't my kind of work."

Idea Idea Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Updates Wisdom check to not lose temper: 8
    Persuasion with advantage (thanks mr dm): 17

Last edited:
Grond knows that his people skills are sorely lacking, so he does his best to keep quiet and stay on guard. He does keep a close watch on what young Inula is doing; he has promised himself that he will not let her come to harm, and by the Gods he will keep that promise.

Psychie Psychie D. Rex D. Rex Lioness075 Lioness075

Still lying on his back, the pirate propped himself up onto one elbow, looking up at the Tiefling. His nervous grin didn't waver, though he was very noticeably sweating, in spite of relative chill hanging in this late-fall air. "Oh, aye... Ah, that I can give." His eyes cut between Dragon and Axtis for a few seconds before continuing. "Well, I can tell you we ain't here fer either of you lot. Here to make sure someone doesn't leave 'fore the Cap'n gets here. Woman goes by Tarina now, we think. Gonna find out the hard way why you don't fuck the crew of the Serpent over." His grin became notably more malicious, but shifted back to a twitchy, nervous look shortly thereafter. "Cap'n will be here in an hour or two, supposed ta tell him if she leaves, assuming I can't stop her."

Sherwood Sherwood Idea Idea Ellya Ellya dr xenon dr xenon Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Nima's question didn't draw an ireful look the way Guin's did. Rather, the almost flirtatious look in her eyes returned. "Aye, the Cult of the Dead Three? That's a mighty big ask, lass. Even fer the favor I owe Zodge, I might need somethin' in turn." Uncrossing her arms, clasped them behind her head, relaxing further. "For you, though? Maybe I can make an exception." It could have been more flirting. Maybe she already knew who Nima was. Maybe both. The woman was hardly what one would call an open book. "We'll see."

Tarina's gaze shifted to Inula as the young girl spoke, and her expression softened ever so slightly, the grin returning. "I know yer names because I'm in the business of knowing things. Everyone of interest in Baldur's Gate is in my sights for one reason or another." Her eyes scanned of them individually once more, before the girl continued. The apology actually brought a short, warm laugh from the woman- not a wholly unpleasant sound. "No, lass, ye didn't do anything wrong. I was just pointin' out that ye might want to know what ye're doing before ye offer to jump in against an experienced player." Altogether, it seemed Inula's attempt to placate Tarina had been largely succesful. That is, until Guinevere antagonized her again.

The Guild spy's eyes scanned the patriar very closely, her jaw suddenly very firmly set. Leaning forward in her first professional stance since meeting her the woman clasped her hands on the table, a solemn look on her face. The woman's accent dropped entirely. "Do you know what happened to the last Patriar to come into Elfsong tavern without a Watch contingent at their back?" Her expression was wholly unwavering. "A Portyr, he was. Duke Portyr's nephew. Came down on some mission of mercy, but he made the wrong people upset." Tarina was every bit as unflinching as Guin. "He wound up in the alley behind the building, belly split open and robbed blind. No one really knows what happened to him. Who did him in." Her head tilted again. Didn't have to be super insightful to pick it up. She knew. "Outside the Upper City, no one cares what your name is, Vannath. Mind yourself. I will speak to your associates if I so choose, so long as they indulge me. I owe Zodge a favor. I might make that favor not putting a death mark on your heads for my trouble, yes?"

Nima's candor drew Tarina's eye once more. For the first time, she seemed to listen in earnest silence. The woman's brown eyes scanned Nima's face for any sign of deception, and could find none. Definite recognition entered her eyes when the holy symbol was presented to her, as well. She pursed her lips quietly for a few moments, before the serious look her face was broken by another friendly grin. "Ah, Hells. I can't stay mad at someone as lovely as yourself. Fine; I'll give you the information, and I won't have any of you killed. Conditionally. I am a reasonable woman, after all, but I still have things I need, too." Relaxing, she leaned back once more. "Some old associates of mine will be arriving later to kill me. I'd like your help disposing of them. Assuming they actually turn up, of course."

Still lying on his back, the pirate propped himself up onto one elbow, looking up at the Tiefling. His nervous grin didn't waver, though he was very noticeably sweating, in spite of relative chill hanging in this late-fall air. "Oh, aye... Ah, that I can give." His eyes cut between Dragon and Axtis for a few seconds before continuing. "Well, I can tell you we ain't here fer either of you lot. Here to make sure someone doesn't leave 'fore the Cap'n gets here. Woman goes by Tarina now, we think. Gonna find out the hard way why you don't fuck the crew of the Serpent over." His grin became notably more malicious, but shifted back to a twitchy, nervous look shortly thereafter. "Cap'n will be here in an hour or two, supposed ta tell him if she leaves, assuming I can't stop her."

Sherwood Sherwood Idea Idea Ellya Ellya dr xenon dr xenon Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Nima's question didn't draw an ireful look the way Guin's did. Rather, the almost flirtatious look in her eyes returned. "Aye, the Cult of the Dead Three? That's a mighty big ask, lass. Even fer the favor I owe Zodge, I might need somethin' in turn." Uncrossing her arms, clasped them behind her head, relaxing further. "For you, though? Maybe I can make an exception." It could have been more flirting. Maybe she already knew who Nima was. Maybe both. The woman was hardly what one would call an open book. "We'll see."

Tarina's gaze shifted to Inula as the young girl spoke, and her expression softened ever so slightly, the grin returning. "I know yer names because I'm in the business of knowing things. Everyone of interest in Baldur's Gate is in my sights for one reason or another." Her eyes scanned of them individually once more, before the girl continued. The apology actually brought a short, warm laugh from the woman- not a wholly unpleasant sound. "No, lass, ye didn't do anything wrong. I was just pointin' out that ye might want to know what ye're doing before ye offer to jump in against an experienced player." Altogether, it seemed Inula's attempt to placate Tarina had been largely succesful. That is, until Guinevere antagonized her again.

The Guild spy's eyes scanned the patriar very closely, her jaw suddenly very firmly set. Leaning forward in her first professional stance since meeting her the woman clasped her hands on the table, a solemn look on her face. The woman's accent dropped entirely. "Do you know what happened to the last Patriar to come into Elfsong tavern without a Watch contingent at their back?" Her expression was wholly unwavering. "A Portyr, he was. Duke Portyr's nephew. Came down on some mission of mercy, but he made the wrong people upset." Tarina was every bit as unflinching as Guin. "He wound up in the alley behind the building, belly split open and robbed blind. No one really knows what happened to him. Who did him in." Her head tilted again. Didn't have to be super insightful to pick it up. She knew. "Outside the Upper City, no one cares what your name is, Vannath. Mind yourself. I will speak to your associates if I so choose, so long as they indulge me. I owe Zodge a favor. I might make that favor not putting a death mark on your heads for my trouble, yes?"

Nima's candor drew Tarina's eye once more. For the first time, she seemed to listen in earnest silence. The woman's brown eyes scanned Nima's face for any sign of deception, and could find none. Definite recognition entered her eyes when the holy symbol was presented to her, as well. She pursed her lips quietly for a few moments, before the serious look her face was broken by another friendly grin. "Ah, Hells. I can't stay mad at someone as lovely as yourself. Fine; I'll give you the information, and I won't have any of you killed. Conditionally. I am a reasonable woman, after all, but I still have things I need, too." Relaxing, she leaned back once more. "Some old associates of mine will be arriving later to kill me. I'd like your help disposing of them. Assuming they actually turn up, of course."

Fallen Dragon nodded, he reached into his clothing and pulled out the badge given to him Zodge. "Do you know what this means? It means I can skin you alive in the town center and the only one who will bat an eye is the Fist commander wondering why he didn't hire me sooner..."

"And right now you are messing with Fist business. That means if so much as hair of your serpent friends show up and interfere, we will see this hellhole of a town turned inside out to find every one of you and and hang you bound and gagged at every street corner until vermin have plucked every fiber of meat from your bones."

Fallen dragon would reach down and grab the pirate by the lapels to lift him to his feet. "Baldur's Gate is Fist territory. And if you want to have any hope of staying alive the next fortnight, then better understand real quick that you now work for us. Do I make myself clear?"

Grond sneers. "How many of your old 'associates' are we talking about? Two? Five? Even more? It makes a difference."

Axtis looks around, as if expecting the arrival of this 'Cap'n' sooner instead of later. "Numbers, man! How many will be showing up?"

N i m a

And there it was. The favor that required another favor, which would surely start an entire cycle of debts and repayments. Her brow furrowed as she looked at Tarina, really weighing her options. At this point, the woman in front of her represented a major group of her clients, clients with influence in the city. And without a doubt, Zodge expected everyone to return with the requested information.

She didn't trust the people she was with. Certainly not with her life, but now they were supposed to fight a bunch of thugs together? She was supposed to fight side by side with an uptight patriar and a girl in her teens? The look that she gave the two of them was clearly distrusting, but with more of a slight hint of disgust toward Guinevere.

"We help you fight off your attackers, and you tell use the information, yes? Any debt or favors will be entirely cleared? You must understand, I cannot make an enemy of anyone in this city, my livelihood depends on my lack of bonds..." Her voice was more hushed in those last few words. "And I cannot... I will not take any lives." After a few more seconds of looking at Tarina, Nima pulled her mace off the table and held it firmly in hand, lifting her shield as well. "The Dragonborn asks a good question, Tarina... We'll need to know how many and how well armed they are, so we can prepare. And while we do... stay close to me."

Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Idea Idea Sherwood Sherwood

The pirate yelped like a frightened dog as he was hoisted to his feet. Frantically, he nodded his understanding. "Y-y-you got it, boss. Fist t-t-territory and I w-work for you. No p-p-problem!" Shifting his weight fearfully, the man continued. "Except... I'm probably not going to be able to convince the Cap'n not to show up in force. 'Tarina' stole the better part of five thousand gold pieces from us, she did. We can't jus' let that go. Er... he can't. He can't. Sorry." Glancing at Axtis, the man answered the Tiefling's question next. "Including me and the Cap'n, it would have been eight of us. Seven now, I s'pose. Seen the error of my ways, I have."

~~~
Ellya Ellya Sherwood Sherwood dr xenon dr xenon Idea Idea Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Tarina's smile widened further, becoming an almost devilish grin. When she spoke, her voice returned to the previous boisterous volume, and her accept had come back. "Ah, so it's a deal then! At least for you." Expectantly, her eyes cut between the others. "Yes. After this, we will be on a clean slate. Aside from any previous debts I may already owe on behalf of my employers." Tarina didn't look at Nima when she said that, but the fairly insightful Genasi would pick up on it pretty quickly. "The Guild does not forget." It wasn't until Nima mentioned being unwilling to kill that the spy's gaze turned back to her. Her expression became more serious again, but this time probably just to convey that she meant what she was saying. "Do not worry. No one in Baldur's Gate will miss these men, and I will ensure it is not connected back to you. As far as killing them: They die. I do not care whether you are the one to do it, but they die."

Her eyes cut briefly from Nima to the Dragonborn. "A good question. One I do not know the answer to. The crew of the Uncivil Serpent numbers some twenty men, but they will not leave their ship unattended in the harbor."

Hafdan charsheet
Dwarf FIghter - Axe & ShieldView attachment 791496
HP: 14
AC: 16/18
Passives:
  • Perception/WIS: 12
  • Investigation/INT: 9
  • Insight/WIS: 14
Battleaxe: +6, 1d8+4/1d10+4

Hafdan listened to the banter going back and forth with a look of relief on his face. Relieved that someone else was doing the planning and thinking.

The pirate yelped like a frightened dog as he was hoisted to his feet. Frantically, he nodded his understanding. "Y-y-you got it, boss. Fist t-t-territory and I w-work for you. No p-p-problem!" Shifting his weight fearfully, the man continued. "Except... I'm probably not going to be able to convince the Cap'n not to show up in force. 'Tarina' stole the better part of five thousand gold pieces from us, she did. We can't jus' let that go. Er... he can't. He can't. Sorry." Glancing at Axtis, the man answered the Tiefling's question next. "Including me and the Cap'n, it would have been eight of us. Seven now, I s'pose. Seen the error of my ways, I have."

~~~
Ellya Ellya Sherwood Sherwood dr xenon dr xenon Idea Idea Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Tarina's smile widened further, becoming an almost devilish grin. When she spoke, her voice returned to the previous boisterous volume, and her accept had come back. "Ah, so it's a deal then! At least for you." Expectantly, her eyes cut between the others. "Yes. After this, we will be on a clean slate. Aside from any previous debts I may already owe on behalf of my employers." Tarina didn't look at Nima when she said that, but the fairly insightful Genasi would pick up on it pretty quickly. "The Guild does not forget." It wasn't until Nima mentioned being unwilling to kill that the spy's gaze turned back to her. Her expression became more serious again, but this time probably just to convey that she meant what she was saying. "Do not worry. No one in Baldur's Gate will miss these men, and I will ensure it is not connected back to you. As far as killing them: They die. I do not care whether you are the one to do it, but they die."

Her eyes cut briefly from Nima to the Dragonborn. "A good question. One I do not know the answer to. The crew of the Uncivil Serpent numbers some twenty men, but they will not leave their ship unattended in the harbor."

Fallen dragon smiled dangerously, letting go of the man's clothing and began dusting it off. "Very good. But, when I said you... I meant all of you. Your Captain included. The Serpents have been conscripted under Ptariar Vanaath, under the authority of the Fists."

Fallen Dragon bent down and picked up one of the ball bearings, and pressed it softly onto the pirates cheek. "You tell your Captain, that he can join a very rewarding cause... All this anarchy is bad for business, so we are going to turn this city upside down. He can join us...." he rolled the bearing up the pirates cheek to rest it on his (hopefully) closed eye. Then began to press on it gently, "... or be crushed utterly." After a slightly firmer press, he let the bearing drop to the ground.

"He has two choices. Show up promptly tomorrow at the Vanaath Manor, and work for us. Or leave the city. Because if I see him tonight... he and everything he knows will burn under the wrath of the Fists. That paltry sum of a few thousand gold... well. He can consider that an investment in good standing with the Fists. And it will be rewarded."

He patted the pirate on the cheek, "Now go. Tell your captain this. And if he does not agree... you will pretend to take his side, and when he arrives here.... you will stab him in the back until he stops breathing. See him join... ill see you get a bonus of twenty pieces of gold. If you kill him, I'll reward you with fifteen. Either has a promise of more in the future. Now go."

• Inula Mallian
    Lvl 1 Dogfolk Bard

Tanira seemed somewhat more amicable at least, what with her hearty laugh, even if it was a little scary that I was "in her sights". I had to wonder just how much she knew, right? Whatever I did, I had to be extra careful not to make her angry, or I could end up causing problems for a lot of people, even more people than before. In that sense, I sighed with relief releasing some of the tension that was building up as she explained her stance with the dice. However, somehow or another the conversation led Tanira to get upset again, and talk about this duke person. It was probably just a warning, but what if, maybe, just maybe, it was actually a threat? This wasn't good, not good at all! It would appear miss Vannath was very impatient today indeed. I wonder if something had happened that left her in a bad mood? I mean, other than being conscripted today. She was even bringing up those slimes again. I tried looking it up before, but without access to the academy libraries rare species of slime like the "mudbloods" just didn't show up. All I knew was that she brought them up when she was unhappy. Perhaps it had something to do with missing her scheduled hot stone massage on Sune's Paradise back in the upper city. Still, even if she was in that mood, the way the genasi went and talked about her, I was left gasping! Without thinking, I put my hands on the table and gave the genasi a rather shocked glare.

"Lady Vannath is not stupid! She is quite beautiful and exquisitely smart! And kind too! I don't know about all the elves, but she treated me and Fallen Dragon quite well, I'll let you know, like the king of golden soles." I got it, ok, the genasi didn't want to be here either. That's even more reason why it was so upsetting to see her have that kind of attitude towards my benefactor! Tanira, on the other hand, wasn't responding so negatively to her attitude, and I couldn't blame her. Even if she said I didn't do anything, I just knew I was truly the one at fault. I'm sure whatever fault was in my conduct was just being blamed on lady Vannath for being my superior. Poor lady Vannath... If only I wasn't so... If I wasn't so damn u-

Wait, kill?

"Y-y-you want us to kill p-people?!"

Unlike me, Grond didn't hesitate: He immediately asked how many people were coming after Tanira. Now that I thought about it, they were coming after her, right? It was just her protecting herself, just self-defense, right? Even if we had to ...to.... kill them, it would be for a good reason, right? I swallowed, it still didn't sit quite right with me, and neither did it seem like it sat well with miss genasi either. For once, it appeared, we agreed, though in this situation it only served to worsen that lingering feeling on my chest or my stomach that originated just with the thought of taking another life, or even being responsible for a life being taken... l

...like last time, with the doctor.

Even so, Tanira was pretty insistent. Even so, she knew who was coming, but not in what numbers, and she even knew they had a manned ship. Was there truly no other way to resolve this? Maybe we could talk them out of coming after her? I looked over to lady Vannath a couple times in search of guidance before speaking at last.

"Why do they want to kill you lady Tanira?"

okada-manabi-shingeki-no-bahamut-anime-inumimi-3404461-jpeg.790124

Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Hit Points: 9/9
    Hit Dice: 1d8
    Armor Class: 14
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft
    Passive Perception: 9
    Spellcasting Ability: Cha
    Spellsave DC: 15
    Spell Attack Bonus: +7

Bardic Inspirations: 5/5

Spells
Cantrips: (2)
*Guidance
*Mending

First Level: (4)
*Command
*Cure Wounds
*Sleep
*Speak With Animals [Ritual]

Items
Equipped:
*Rapier
*Wolf Pelts Leather Armor
*Sack x5
*Common Clothes
*Glasses

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
37 SP
147 CP

Carrying:
*Calligrapher's Supplies (magical focus, has an effect which magically produces paper)
*Forgery Kit
*Disguise Kit
*Dagger x3
*Ink Pen x5
*Bottle of Ink
*Academy Uniform Robes
*Rations (7 days)
*Glasses
*Chalk x3
*Blanket
*Small Knife
*Candles x10
*Tinder Box
*Rope (silk)
*Mess Kit
*Ladder (10 ft)
*Piton x3
*Parchment x10
*Hammer
*Tumbling Tales of Tom Tomb (book)
*Diary of a Princess (book)
*Practical Analysis of Arcane Script Pt1 (book)

Skills
Saving Throws:
Strength: 0
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +1
Intelligence: +3
Wisdom: -1
Charisma: +7

Skills:
Acrobatics: +3
Animal Handling: -1
Arcana: +5
Athletics: 0
Deception: +7
History: +3
Insight: -1
Intimidation: +5
Investigation: +5
Medicine: +1
Nature: +3
Perception: +1
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +9
Religion: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
Stealth: +3
Survival: -1

Passives

Researcher- When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Diplomat- If you spend 1 minute talking to someone who can understand what you say, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Insight) check. If you or your companions are fighting the creature, your check automatically fails. If your check succeeds, the target is charmed by you as long as it remains within 60 feet of you and for 1 minute thereafter.

History Check (4) To see if she knew the Patriars Tarina was talking about)

Interacting With: BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2

Mentions: Ellya Ellya Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Might Also Want To Read: N/A

Guin's eyes twinkled with amusement, a sly smile appearing on her face.
"I'll be sure to keep that in mind." She said sarcastically to Tarina indirectly threatening her life. Her expression clearly reading "don't threaten me with a good time."

She would see this woman and her little gang drawn and hung by their entrails, their hangouts razed and turned to Fist garrisons before the end of the age. Of this, she felt all but certain.

Guinevere had high aspirations and among those was to clear rot and bring the lower districts totally and completely under foot. There was more than enough corruption in the upper city to have to deal with peasant meddlers as well.

The noble paid Nima no more mind. She was above letting the opinions of the hoi polloi get the better of her.
Anyway, she was more preoccupied with Tarina.

"Flex your command of these gutters you call home all you wish. You do not intimidate me." Guinevere responded, shifting her weight and crossing her arms.
"Speak to them or whomever if you must but speak fast and get the point."

The more Tarina said the more irritated Guinevere became.
Gambling, threatening to see to the death of a Patriar, and now asking for information to be paid in blood.
The lowest of scum this Tarina was.
What kind of moron would trust a single word that comes from her filthy trap?
It is said there's no honor among thieves. She imagined there was less among spies.

Getting involved in gang violence was a notion Vannath was not willing to entertain, certainly not for a bit of gold. Especially not with the word of a jackleg like Tarina as her only insurance.

As she came to a boil, Guin's ire was greatly soothed by Inula's words. She and Dragon were the closest thing she had to friends right now, despite the fact she paid them to stick around.
It was only fair.
Her expression softened and she pulled Inula back away from the table. More protectively than possessively.
Exchanging a warm look with her, she placed her hands on her shoulders before steeling her expression again towards Tarina.

"Not myself, or anyone in my party (Inula and Fallen Dragon), will kill on your behalf."

She had already effaced herself enough accepting the task and setting foot in the crusty tavern. She wouldn't tarnish her name engaging in such activities as these proposed.
Guinevere suspected Inula wouldn't fair too well from it either.

Best keep her reputation and Inula's mental wellbeing out of harms way.
In her realm of affairs death was handled with significantly more cunning than fights in broad daylight.

"If that is your only offer we will take our leave of you and your kern kith." She said implying Nima and her were both cut of the same lowly cloth.
"You are welcome to join us if you see fit, Sir Grond. I'm aware of your military service and the impact you have had in Inula's life."
Guinevere turned to leave, facing only partially towards Grond.
"I'm sure we would all be glad to have you."

Idea Idea BarrenThin2 BarrenThin2 Ellya Ellya

Sherwood Sherwood

Last edited:
Fallen dragon smiled dangerously, letting go of the man's clothing and began dusting it off. "Very good. But, when I said you... I meant all of you. Your Captain included. The Serpents have been conscripted under Ptariar Vanaath, under the authority of the Fists."

Fallen Dragon bent down and picked up one of the ball bearings, and pressed it softly onto the pirates cheek. "You tell your Captain, that he can join a very rewarding cause... All this anarchy is bad for business, so we are going to turn this city upside down. He can join us...." he rolled the bearing up the pirates cheek to rest it on his (hopefully) closed eye. Then began to press on it gently, "... or be crushed utterly." After a slightly firmer press, he let the bearing drop to the ground.

"He has two choices. Show up promptly tomorrow at the Vanaath Manor, and work for us. Or leave the city. Because if I see him tonight... he and everything he knows will burn under the wrath of the Fists. That paltry sum of a few thousand gold... well. He can consider that an investment in good standing with the Fists. And it will be rewarded."

He patted the pirate on the cheek, "Now go. Tell your captain this. And if he does not agree... you will pretend to take his side, and when he arrives here.... you will stab him in the back until he stops breathing. See him join... ill see you get a bonus of twenty pieces of gold. If you kill him, I'll reward you with fifteen. Either has a promise of more in the future. Now go."
As the pirate (probably) scrambles to get away, Axtis looks over at Fallen Dragon with a disapproving gaze. "You do realize that this captain is probably going to come at us with all she's got? You've just successfully raised the stakes for her, and her ego and pride will most likely come at us full tilt. We need to tell the others about this."

With a frantic nod, the man fled while the two conversed, not wanting to interrupt them.

Ellya Ellya Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Sherwood Sherwood Idea Idea dr xenon dr xenon

Tarina looked at Inula quietly and nodded. “Yes, I would like these men disposed of in a timely manner.” Clasping her hands in her lap, the woman seemed to consider her next words carefully. “They want me dead for business we’ve done in the past. Nothing wrong with streaking from pirates, aye? They certainly didn’t earn the coin.”

As for Guin, it seemed both women were at something of an impasse. Neither really seemed to impress the other. As Guin turned to leave, the woman leaned forwards. “I mean, have it your way. I will get help elsewhere. I’m not offering coin, though, save whatever you might collect from their bodies. I’m offering the intelligence necessary for you to complete the mission ordered on you by the Flaming Fist.” The woman’s foot tapped the floor impatiently. “Abandoning that mission is desertion. Punishable by hanging from the neck until dead.” The woman smiled, almost apologetically. “During a time like this, I don’t think Zodge will care that you’re a patriar. On the contrary, showing even the patriars aren’t above the law is a very powerful statement in his quest to quell anarchy.”

Tarina sighed, her more business-like demeanor returning. “I will ensure Zodge knows who among his enlisted troops stayed and furthered their orders.”

Last edited:
As the pirate (probably) scrambles to get away, Axtis looks over at Fallen Dragon with a disapproving gaze. "You do realize that this captain is probably going to come at us with all she's got? You've just successfully raised the stakes for her, and her ego and pride will most likely come at us full tilt. We need to tell the others about this."

"Lowlife and thugs. Is she has a death wish. She will actively go against the Flaming Fists. Or she can make the best of a bad situation and earn some money from it." He replied to her.

"And if she does bring them all... I will stock with my threat. But you are right. It is time to let the others know. "

Can we go find Tarina?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back