Other Who Was The More Powerful Wizard? Gandalf or Dumbledore?

Parkersayhi

Sugar Prince
This might be a little biased considering that I literally grew up on Harry Potter, but I do think Dumbledore is more powerful, given he has the Elder Wand of course.

What do you all think?

Edit: Yeah, I just realized how dumb this post is. My phone won't give me the option to delete it, though.

Last edited:
Dumbledore is a human with magical powers.

Gandalf is an Istar and one of the Maiar, who are immortal, demigod-like beings whose existence predates the world itself.

Kinda dealing with two different leagues of power here imo

Last edited:
Gandolf shows less direct displays of power, however, Gandolf is still a supernatural being more than a magical one, death doesn't mean the same thing to Gandolf compared Dumbledore.

Also, Gandolf faced off against a creature that totally outclassed him, and they battled to a standstill.

Last edited:
In their respective worlds, obviously they're the biggest badasses and most powerful, but I do agree that Gandalf's immortal existence kinda trumps Dumbledore's. However, I would like to see a duel between them, just to see how long it would last, what with them being incredibly smart and strategic geniuses, but I digress.

Fun fact: Ian McKellen was nearly the one to play Dumbledore.
Therefore, a fight between them would have been necessary.

In their respective worlds, obviously they're the biggest badasses and most powerful, but I do agree that Gandalf's immortal existence kinda trumps Dumbledore's. However, I would like to see a duel between them, just to see how long it would last, what with them being incredibly smart and strategic geniuses, but I digress.

Fun fact: Ian McKellen was nearly the one to play Dumbledore.
Therefore, a fight between them would have been necessary.
Woah seriously? o.o

Woah seriously? o.o

Yep! Unfortunately Richard Harrison (the Dumbledore from the first two films) was a bit homophobic, so Ian McKellen gracefully refused the role, saying he knew Harrison would not have respected the choice. (His polite way of saying, "Dude didn't like that I'm gay.")

So we nearly had Harrison/McKellen rather than Harrison/Gambon.

I find the entire situation mildly ironic since J.K. Rowling has revealed that Dumbledore is, in fact, gay, but I digress.

IMG_0530.JPG
These two almost became the same guy? Wow! Never knew about Ian Mckellan and possibly becoming the one to play Dumbledore. Though that would have made my early youthful years and the occasional mix up of the two names even more understandable and would have messed with a young fans mind. However the topic at hand would be difficult to judge as with any Vs debates on who'd win between characters of different universes, the two sides are very different. But to provide a answer......... Gandalf. The guy was a Istari after all and while he was low key powerful in the works of Tolkien compared to the more decorated history of Dumbledore in HP. He did battle that balrog for I think 7 days and nights, right? (It's been awhile so could be poor recollection on display) They fought to a stand still and he pretty much came out the better for it in becoming Gandalf the white. While it would have been a great and legendary epic of battles, I can't see Dumbledore topping a Istari like Gandalf even with the elder wand.

A fun idea though and to expand upon it. A battle of Tolkien wizards like Gandalf, Saruman, Radaghast and Galadriel vs Rowling wizards/witch Dumbledore, Grindlewald, Voldemort and Bellatrix. The outcome wouldn't change imo but another epic battle to think about.

I mean...

Dumbledor died when he fell off a tower.

Gandalf fell into what I'm pretty sure was hell and came back just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back