Other Who wants to make friends on this website?

I know you've probably heard this before, but the best antidote for anxiety is exposure and repetition! I'd recommend talking to a lot of people to get desensitized to chatting. Multiple conversations is good, too!
But how are you meant to start off the conversation with a random person: "Hi, I want to be your friend, be my friend."? And what if you want to be with someone you're already RPing with and you feel too awkward to connect outside of it as you've been doing it for a few weeks and have barely spoken? I'm not good with social cues ✌

But how are you meant to start off the conversation with a random person: "Hi, I want to be your friend, be my friend."? And what if you want to be with someone you're already RPing with and you feel too awkward to connect outside of it as you've been doing it for a few weeks and have barely spoken? I'm not good with social cues ✌
Well, you can use a few icebreakers. It's what they exist for! Be interested! Ask what they like! Games, TV shows, movies, RP genres, ECT. There's a whole world of conversation topics if you just look.

The only way you can get better at seeing social cues is to actually be around them and look for them c:

Well, you can use a few icebreakers. It's what they exist for! Be interested! Ask what they like! Games, TV shows, movies, RP genres, ECT. There's a whole world of conversation topics if you just look.

The only way you can get better at seeing social cues is to actually be around them and look for them c:
Are these good icebreakers:

Do you dream in colour?
What's the worst movie you've watched?
What's the story behind your username?

And I totally get the whole social anxiety thing. It sucks. I'm trying to get over it in real life, as it is. But the thing is that it CAN be overcome, and you certainly aren't gonna overcome it by avoiding it...

I find myself constantly telling myself that specific people have specific negative opinions of me. However, I acknowledge that I have a bit of an issue with assuming what people think of me, and I decide that while those feelings of anxiety to still exist, I'm just not gonna actually DO anything about them because they're probably false. The fear never goes away, but that doesn't mean I have to do something about it.

It's not my job to decide people's opinions about me for them, anyways. If they want to let me know how they feel, they can do it themselves.

Are these good icebreakers:

Do you dream in colour?
What's the worst movie you've watched?
What's the story behind your username?
Yea! Pretty much! Just basically be interested in the other person, and let them know you're interested.

And I totally get the whole social anxiety thing. It sucks. I'm trying to get over it in real life, as it is. But the thing is that it CAN be overcome, and you certainly aren't gonna overcome it by avoiding it...

I find myself constantly telling myself that specific people have specific negative opinions of me. However, I acknowledge that I have a bit of an issue with assuming what people think of me, and I decide that while those feelings of anxiety to still exist, I'm just not gonna actually DO anything about them because they're probably false. The fear never goes away, but that doesn't mean I have to do something about it.

It's not my job to decide people's opinions about me for them, anyways. If they want to let me know how they feel, they can do it themselves.
Wisdom queen, jeez damn, you're intelligent as heck. Thank you so much.

Wisdom queen, jeez damn, you're intelligent as heck. Thank you so much.
No problem, man. I was in the same boat a few years back. Learned about myself a lot since then. Have a lovely time here.

Alternatively don't do that thing of RPing without talking. Start by talking, talk about interests, maybe give each other feedback on the RP, plan a scene or another, fangirl/boy about potential future events or things you like and have in common.

Most people (many even directly state so) want you to talk OOC and want to befriend their RP partners.

hiYAAAAA im a talkative shit, i love making new acquaintances and .... you're welcomed to hit me up in DMs.
I also have applications for a new gf or bf cause im a lonely fuck uwu womp womp womp
jokes aside, ur welcome to hit me up :D

honestly i used to make a lot of friends this way by rping on forums, i don't really know what happened? i guess i've been less active and such. but i like to come off as approachable and nice and stuff + i feel like i write/rp better when im more comfortable with the other person ooc. plus its just fun meeting and talking to new people

I haven't made a lot of friends on this website, I'd say one, maybe two. But I think that some people focus so much on RPing, they completely ignore the opportunity to make friends. I'd love to make more friends on this website and connect on external websites, but so far it's only been through discord.
yeah

I've met some of my best friends on this site. That usually happened through two ways: roleplaying with them or goofing around on profile posts. The other way was through mutual friends.

Posting on statuses can be an easy way to begin. Share your own funny videos or thoughts on statuses and reply to other people's statuses too. A really great way to bond with people in the RPN community is to jump into the silly conversations where everyone's goofing around. Laughing and joking around with someone can instantly break the ice and create a connection with someone.

There's also an easier way to make friends while roleplaying, too! Try narrowing down your search to those who are intentionally roleplaying to make friends. If you do one one ones, put in your search thread that you're looking for roleplayers who want to make friends. One on ones are a great way to make roleplay buddies!:)

Also, your profile says you joined this May---so I'd say give it some time. It took me a few months before I met some people and about a year before I really had a handful of solid friendships. This is one of the friendliest sites around and the most welcoming roleplay community I have ever found, so you're in the right place :)

Since reading everyone's replied on this, I've actually made a new friend and I've been posting more and talking to others more too. The encouragement really helped me come out of my shell and gain some confidence.

I use to do a lot of RP and write stories on Quizilla before it was defiled and shut down. I made loads of friends on there and the reason I've joined this site is so I can actually RP and make more. So it's not impossible. :)

i've made one good friend through rpn, aha. beyond that, i've mostly acquaintances. i enjoy getting to know the folks i write with persistently.

what i've found, though, is that without the rp as a common interest, it's really easy to drift apart

The only way to have a sustainable roleplay here (or anywhere) is to have friends. On my old forum, I was literally only roleplaying with my closest pals I made there towards the end. Sure you get your onesie twosie roleplays that fizzle out after a couple days but the roleplays you have with friends last for YEARS.

Idk, I want to make friends but I want to make friends that I RP with as well. Something to share a common connection/interest with.

I haven't made any friends yet so far, but I also haven't been very active or... involved I suppose.

Can't blame anyone but me at the moment. :P

🤷‍♂️

The only way to have a sustainable roleplay here (or anywhere) is to have friends. On my old forum, I was literally only roleplaying with my closest pals I made there towards the end. Sure you get your onesie twosie roleplays that fizzle out after a couple days but the roleplays you have with friends last for YEARS.
I'll have to keep that in mind.

I'm recently just starting to go on the general discussion part of rpnation. I actually like ooc talk but many people don't like it. It kind of makes me feel a bit disappointed considering I spend so much time on this site (I know I'm practically an addict).

I have a pretty small circle of friends but I'd love more friends be it online or in person.

I'm not new to trying to make friends online. I've done bumble bff, whisper (where it's anonymous but people try to become friends anyways), MeetMe (don't ask) and Reddit subreddits related to making friends.

Something I learned on Reddit subreddits is that it's still REALLY hard to make friends even when they know all your interests. It fizzles out or they don't have the same humor or they don't watch the same shows. Probably because humans are such multi faceted creatures.

I eventually found a really cool buddy on reddit but he recently just disappeared.

Online friendship bonding I realized can include watching TV shows together, and possibly reading the same books. Those are definitely some in ways to start

Sorry I just rambled a lot. I'll shut up.

Point is/ tldr: I like talking to people ooc and not just roleplaying. Friends are awesome. Also the itd be awesome to have an online friend who rps and we also can watch TV shows or read the same book and discuss it sounds cool

On my previous RP site I actually made quite some friends. Some of them still play a very big part in my life! But there was a much smaller community on there and we had meetings every year, so it was easier to really come into contact with one another. On here.. I don't know, I just got here and have been focusing on RPing.

And to be honest, I don't know how to set up a conversation with someone with the goal to become friends. I would love to though, but maybe I'm a bit too shy to start it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back