Experiences Where did you roleplay before you came to RPNation?

I have been frequenting Rolechat . org , and before that I had randomly stumbled across Shamchat, where I met one of my very best friends that I RP with to this day (5+ years ago). I can only dream of finding something like that elsewhere, though nothing could ever replace the partner I found. Nowadays though? Rolechat is extremely flaky and gives very poor results most of the time, feels bad man

i roleplayed on... *sigh*... the episode forums. yes, the mobile game with the weird ads. they have a forum that used to have an rp section, but got rid of it around feb 2020. after that, i moved to a smaller forum called shanniiwrites (now dripping quills), but it had a fair bit of drama that caused most of its active rpers to leave, so... now i'm here! don't regret it, honestly- while i love the smaller community, it gets a bit boring playing with the same 7 people every rp, haha

I used to first of all on FB, then moved to World of Anime, then Otakuzone which shutdown, the Otaku World and then I came here.

School Girls Simulator on google play.....(kill me),Kogama,Roblox, and fandom

I've been all over the place. Most of the forums I grew up on are long gone and some aren't even on waybackmachine. Of those that are still around I've participated on Iwaku, Role-Play Adventures, Roleplayerguild, Animeleague, Gaiaonline, and a slew of others.

AO-helL RP chat -> The Keep rp chat -> Gaia -> a site I will not mention, which is still my primary stomping grounds. Every now and then I'll dip my toes into something here, but I don't much care for the culture of this site.

Now, I scrolled back in the thread pretty freaking far to find someone who shared the same experience as me (and I made it all the way to 2016 before I got bored and gave up).

I found one person. AtomBombBaby AtomBombBaby this may be really odd to see, since I think your comment was like, from 2021, but this one’s for you.

I’m a survivor of the Shelfari deletion of 2016.

Let’s talk about Shelfari, since I think most of you may be unfamiliar? It was a book social cataloguing site set up by Amazon. People had virtual bookshelves and discuss what they were reading with others with a public forum system.

It was my first experience with roleplay, and lord— it was my blueprint.

The definition of a roleplay group on Shelfari varied incredibly from the present definition on RPN; though, it may be the same as other sites; however, I would not be familiar with those. You would take a simple concept— not plot lines, no roles, no determined storyline, and let people run wild. People made their own characters (approved by mods) and found their own little groups within to write with, or even one on ones. Mods would post location threads to house roleplays and people did their own thing. Groups would have 50 to 60 members with a couple mods to monitor, but it was very low-maintenance. Of course, there were rules, but it was all very simple. I ran at least three to four groups at a time, back in the day. It was a good system.

I think I miss the threads the most. The comment system on Shelfari was superior enough that replies were gathered and hidden under the original comment. Made it possible for multiple roleplays to occur in the same location thread. Chef’s kiss. Not necessary for sites like this one, but it was something that did not exist in Shelfari’s would-be successor, Goodreads. That really killed the movement there, I think.

The worst thing Amazon did was kill that website. I made a lot of friends that way, and tried to keep in contact— but I’ve lost track of all of them by now. It was a great time though, best first experience I could ask for.

Ended moving to Instagram after the fall for a few years, but that’s a whole other ballgame. Photo editing on top of writing is another level. It’s tiresome, and after a while, I gave it up and moved here.

Apologies for the book, but I haven’t gotten to talk about Shelfari in years.

I have been frequenting Rolechat . org , and before that I had randomly stumbled across Shamchat, where I met one of my very best friends that I RP with to this day (5+ years ago). I can only dream of finding something like that elsewhere, though nothing could ever replace the partner I found. Nowadays though? Rolechat is extremely flaky and gives very poor results most of the time, feels bad man
Oh yes rolechat. And shamchat I used both.

Shamchat was taken down due to harassment.

I started out on DeviantArt with my irl friends and then I branched out to roleplay with other people online. Then I moved onto Virtual Space Amino. And then I went to Roleplay Amino (I left there immediately due to some guy cursing me out because I had work).

And now I'm here! Granted, I took a hiatus from this site for a while, but I'm back.

Tumblr! I was an avid Tumblr roleplayer for many years, but always struggled getting anything done with my OCs. I think people just favor canon more than anything on Tumblr. I recently came back from a long hiatus and realized not much has changed, other than the roleplaying community on Tumblr being much smaller now. So I'm trying something new for once.

I started RPing on Roblox, i played that one warriors cat game that no longer exists. Then i moved onto FeralFront and RPed there until it got shut down. After that i bounced between a couple of sites before settling with RPing on Discord with a few close friends. I want to branch out more with who i rp with tho so im trying to be more active here!

The only fateful encounter of my life was a woman on a Chatango chatroom funneling me into writing with her, and thus I became a writer. Though, MSN is a close second.

So I did join this site first, but I began roleplaying on a small forum called RPG-Unlimited. It was actually a rather good way for me to get started.

I’ve role played through many mediums. First started out on MSN Messenger (god I’m old). Moved to hand writing… then forum RP. I was on Iwaku for years. Found a few good role plays there. Role played A LOT in WoW. Many years there. Most recent I role played over Google Docs, though I left that partner because she kept turning literally every rp into ERP. Didn’t matter what was going on. I just got really sick of coming up with amazing ideas, worlds, scenarios and plots all for it to be pushed aside for sex scenes. Fixed that issue by coming here lol.

I started out on an old forum, I think the name was PokemonElite2000? (Often referred to as Pe2k) Which is where I first discovered RP. After that forum went down I bounced between Amino, AniRoleplay, and Tumblr and now I mostly write with close friends on Skype and Discord. I missed the forum experience though, and I really wanted to get more active in roleplaying again so I tried coming here.

I am going to embarrass the milkshake out of myself right now, but I unfortunately started roleplays on.... *big sigh in regret of past times* among us. After that passed over, I moved to all kinds of places, like text, email, discord, and roblox. Then I just simply found here and I barely touch those now T^T

I started out as a back-in-the-day Homestucker—I apologize for my sins—so I used the original MSPARP website to roleplay, which was basically just IRC but with simple RegEx so you could make your character's writing quirk apply on demand. So, that was awful. I did some Tumblr roleplay and the multifandom parp-like CharatRP, which evolved into a coffin and never came back, and now I often find myself perusing Disboard for Discord RP. It's pretty rough, so I am lurking this site for now. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back