Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh look, it's me again, venting mdheudu

this time it's sort of another me problem 😌 im just. sorta fed up with rp in general? idk if it's burnout, or my poor mental health or what but i just. don't know why i keep putting in so much effort, when it rarely gets returned? only me and one other person starts interactions in our server, and when we do get a good interaction it's usually interrupted or someone complains about it. anything new that's started seems to die within less than a week, which is immensely frustrating when you just. want to develop an oc/character you have muse for 💀

it feels like kicking a dead horse to keep trying, yknow? the only things that end up staying alive, are the things i no longer care about or are/have lost muse in. its just. Hard for anything to feel satisfying anymore ig? nothing lasts long enough to feel meaningful, any excitement is met with disappointment. it just doesn't feel as enjoyable as it used to. 😔

oh look, it's me again, venting mdheudu

this time it's sort of another me problem 😌 im just. sorta fed up with rp in general? idk if it's burnout, or my poor mental health or what but i just. don't know why i keep putting in so much effort, when it rarely gets returned? only me and one other person starts interactions in our server, and when we do get a good interaction it's usually interrupted or someone complains about it. anything new that's started seems to die within less than a week, which is immensely frustrating when you just. want to develop an oc/character you have muse for 💀

it feels like kicking a dead horse to keep trying, yknow? the only things that end up staying alive, are the things i no longer care about or are/have lost muse in. its just. Hard for anything to feel satisfying anymore ig? nothing lasts long enough to feel meaningful, any excitement is met with disappointment. it just doesn't feel as enjoyable as it used to. 😔
I feel that. For a while, I would apply to a lot of rps that got nowhere. I found it pretty hard to find a good group, but keep looking. Nothing has made me happier than having the inspiration and the motivation to keep going.

well, in the english sumptuary laws (that prevented people from wearing clothing that was considered above their social rank) owning land was more prestigious than having money - a landowner with less money might be allowed to wear things that a richer merchant couldn't

money could be used to commute a lot of traditional social duties - by the 13th century most knights paid scutage ('shield money') instead of serving in person. some serfs could also be exempt from their owed labors if they paid 'quit-rent'. townsmen that were normally obligated to serve in their city militia could often just pay for a mercenary substitute.

so "capital" was a lot more important but with all the restrictions and taxes and guild regulations you can't really call it a free market either
Yeah I figured it was something like that as it it’s kinda of a cliche that you can be land rich and cash poor. So it stands to reason owning land was the defining characteristics of status in medieval Europe.

However there have also always been people who sympathize with the poor or lower class (admittedly I presume they would be in a holy order of some sort in this time period but my medieval knowledge is sketchy at best).

Actually given how many saints are portrayed a “holy” knight seeing visions and punishing the “greedy” in the highest social classes is not entirely outside the realm of possibility

So I can actually see a very “woke” knight they just obviously wouldn’t use the same terms we do today.

So like they may very well believe women and serfs ought to be treated better because idk they had a vision from some holy figure or at least a vision of some sort putting them on that path.

That would legit be interesting, kind of maping how other people would react to what to them would seem rampant nonsense, visions from god or no visions from god.

I think that’s the part where I agree with VolcanicAccelerator VolcanicAccelerator . I don’t inherently think someone having modern ideals is anachronistic in itself. I do think having those ideals be treated in a respectful manner is less realistic.

Speaking of Anachronistic roleplay pet peeves for me it’s faceclaims.

I can more or less accept modern slang or politics (if anything they usually lead to fun research OOC). But it drives me up a wall when someone uses 2020 models for 1920 characters.

I think cuz I watch waaaay too many period dramas and follow websites and such related to historical fashion.

It completely takes me out of the roleplay. Im like “Um this person would not have that hair cut and any woman wearing that much make up is basically a whore in this time period.”

Which this whole thing does remind me of a BIG pet peeve. When people tell you how to interpret your own character.

So this happens most often in canon x oc roleplays. Someone asks me to play a canon (ex. Harry Potter) but they proceed to tell me how to write Harry Potter so he fits the love story they have pre-written in their head.

And it’s like, listen if you want to write fanfiction then just write fanfiction.

Roleplay is about collaboration where each person controls their own character. I won’t tell you how to write your character (outside of making sure they fit the setting) and you don’t tell me how to write my character (outside of making sure they fit the setting).

Like it’s fine if you make minor adjustments like “oh in this story wizards can’t have glasses and Petunia was actually kind to Harry.” Like those are things I’m willing to change if needed.

But when it’s like “Harry has this personality, that backstory, and he feels this specific way about my character.” Then I start to get annoyed
Oh I hate this.

I have had partners try to tell me exactly how my character should act, look, and feel about their character and it is annoying. If it is an OC and they want a romance, most of the time I am happy to accommodate and tailor him to be in line of what 'trope' or type they are looking for, (i.e. Bad Boy, Lawful Evil Villain, Awkward nerd) and I am actually fine with that. I usually am even fine if they tell me they have a few minor preferences for looks.

But good God I have had two partners that would basically dictate everything about the character. He had to be this tall, have this type of hair, have this hairdo, act in this specific way, behave like this -- And it was just TIRING.

What was worse is one partner, she wouldn't even just come clean to doing it. She would throw hissy fits and get cold and rude with me if I didn't have my Male OC behave exactly how she wanted him to, or look exactly how she wanted him to, or feel exactly how she wanted him to towards her fem OC... But then when I complained about lacking any creative freedom that she would turn around and go: "I never said you had to make your character that way"

So after that, I very much decided I am never going to tailor my character that severely again. If the character has to behave in an exact way with no wiggle room at all then you should just write your own story/fanfiction. Roleplaying is a collaborative effort. You can't tell other people how to play their characters and that is just something everyone who has this hobby has to accept.

Melpomene Melpomene oh yeah i hate it when people just refuse to acknowledge their own inability to speak their mind or passive aggressiveness.

I have had a few partners who either refused to come out and tell me when they had an issue with the roleplay or just left little passive digs about things.

And it’s like look just say no.

I would much rather you save us both a lot of time and effort by saying “actually I don’t think I am interested in this idea after all.” Then you keep stringing me along because you don’t have the self confidence to just end a roleplay.

Hell Iwould prefer being ghosted if it comes to end. Just leave the roleplay entirely don’t act like I am tying you to a chair and forcing you to respond to me.

Idk if this really belongs here as it's not so much a pet peeve but something upsetting me but, I really miss my old rp buddies. Back in 2012-2014 i think, i was part of the very active at the time sonic roleplay scene on facebook. a lot of my old friends accounts are still there, but they arent, and i miss em

Melpomene Melpomene oh yeah i hate it when people just refuse to acknowledge their own inability to speak their mind or passive aggressiveness.

I have had a few partners who either refused to come out and tell me when they had an issue with the roleplay or just left little passive digs about things.

And it’s like look just say no.

I would much rather you save us both a lot of time and effort by saying “actually I don’t think I am interested in this idea after all.” Then you keep stringing me along because you don’t have the self confidence to just end a roleplay.

Hell Iwould prefer being ghosted if it comes to end. Just leave the roleplay entirely don’t act like I am tying you to a chair and forcing you to respond to me.
Yeah the worst part about one of them was that they would not tell me exactly what they wanted, throw hissy fits and get passive aggressive and rude when things scenes didn't go exactly how they wanted or my characters did things a little different from what they wanted... And then whenever I directly brought up my issues with the RP their response was always: "RPs only survive through communication, it is a necessity."

Basically saying that I was the problem even though it was them who threw passive aggressive tantrums when they didn't get their way instead of just being open and honest about what they wanted.

I really don't know why people think it is a better idea to just... not communicate. I would rather be ghosted than have people be passive aggressive about their problems with the RP. Though, tbf, I am one of the rare few who don't care about being ghosted.

~*~

To get back on topic with the thread, here are more of my pet peeves:

I like playing multiple characters. I like having a very big cast. This has nothing to do with romance, I just genuinely love creating new characters and using them in new plots so I usually tell my partners to expect me to double, triple, or even quadruple because I just love to do it.

However, I must say that I actually don't mind if my partner only plays one character. And, in fact, I prefer it to my partner half-assing other characters.

I cannot say I dislike doubling, just because I technically do it (loving to play multiple characters and all) but I dislike doubling when it is purely done for the sake of 'equal romance'. And in truth, this is just because about 99% of the time my partner completely half-asses their second character. And, quite frankly, if they so obviously don't want to play that second character then I don't want them to. Because that character isn't going to have any real meaningful interaction with mine that I care about, and they are just going to be a burden on us both.

On the other hand, I have seen people who also genuinely want to double and do two romances... But every time I have tried, I am just not into at least one of them. And it always tends to be their Male OC with my Fem. Usually because since most of my partners are Fem or Fem-presenting I assume that the romance they are primarily interested in is their fem OC with my Male OC, so I am more than happy to tailor my Male OC to match the romance they want... But then my Fem OC I just leave it as is. And then, more often than not, my Fem is not interested in the romance their male has to offer :neutralteeth:.

So after going through all of that over the years, while I still love a big cast and playing multiple characters... I usually tell my partner I don't need a double for romance. Because sheesh, that's too much trouble, and none of it is worth it. Especially when we both can be happy with my partner just playing the one romance that they want.

Yeah the worst part about one of them was that they would not tell me exactly what they wanted, throw hissy fits and get passive aggressive and rude when things scenes didn't go exactly how they wanted or my characters did things a little different from what they wanted... And then whenever I directly brought up my issues with the RP their response was always: "RPs only survive through communication, it is a necessity."

Basically saying that I was the problem even though it was them who threw passive aggressive tantrums when they didn't get their way instead of just being open and honest about what they wanted.

I really don't know why people think it is a better idea to just... not communicate. I would rather be ghosted than have people be passive aggressive about their problems with the RP. Though, tbf, I am one of the rare few who don't care about being ghosted.

~*~

To get back on topic with the thread, here are more of my pet peeves:

I like playing multiple characters. I like having a very big cast. This has nothing to do with romance, I just genuinely love creating new characters and using them in new plots so I usually tell my partners to expect me to double, triple, or even quadruple because I just love to do it.

However, I must say that I actually don't mind if my partner only plays one character. And, in fact, I prefer it to my partner half-assing other characters.

I cannot say I dislike doubling, just because I technically do it (loving to play multiple characters and all) but I dislike doubling when it is purely done for the sake of 'equal romance'. And in truth, this is just because about 99% of the time my partner completely half-asses their second character. And, quite frankly, if they so obviously don't want to play that second character then I don't want them to. Because that character isn't going to have any real meaningful interaction with mine that I care about, and they are just going to be a burden on us both.

On the other hand, I have seen people who also genuinely want to double and do two romances... But every time I have tried, I am just not into at least one of them. And it always tends to be their Male OC with my Fem. Usually because since most of my partners are Fem or Fem-presenting I assume that the romance they are primarily interested in is their fem OC with my Male OC, so I am more than happy to tailor my Male OC to match the romance they want... But then my Fem OC I just leave it as is. And then, more often than not, my Fem is not interested in the romance their male has to offer :neutralteeth:.

So after going through all of that over the years, while I still love a big cast and playing multiple characters... I usually tell my partner I don't need a double for romance. Because sheesh, that's too much trouble, and none of it is worth it. Especially when we both can be happy with my partner just playing the one romance that they want.
One day, when I'm not busy, I wanna ask if you can do a RP
Every time you post I vehemently agree with what you say rofl

Melpomene Melpomene see I usually define it like this:

doubling = transactional roleplay where we play each other’s love interest.

multi-character = we each play more then one character (number to be determined in OOC).

So I think of them as two separate things which helps. Cuz I legit don’t mind bringing in as many characters as needed for the plot.

I hate doubling. Mostly cuz it’s usually about someone else making a request of me that they’re not super excited about returning. So as you said it ends up being one-sides even with the best of intentions.

I think it’s because with mult-chara you are playing multiple characters for yourself. Whereas with doubling your basically doing the “premade character” issue I was talking about earlier. You are playing a love interest the other person has already plotted out in their head to some extent.
L

A really strong pet peeve of mine is having a partner and after a few posts in a one shot rp, they just...ask you to write the rest of the story in your post. Like cool i'm basically writing fanfiction for you cause you didn't feel the need to contribute.

The same person asks for different rps when we already started so many of them. Can we please just finish one story? It's a one shot, not a long term.

A really strong pet peeve of mine is having a partner and after a few posts in a one shot rp, they just...ask you to write the rest of the story in your post. Like cool i'm basically writing fanfiction for you cause you didn't feel the need to contribute.

The same person asks for different rps when we already started so many of them. Can we please just finish one story? It's a one shot, not a long term.
You know, there are actually people who write fanfiction for cash. You should start charging this person per mini fanfiction you write! Or, maybe not write with them at all. If there's anything I've learned in the past year, sometimes it's better to drop someone you might have really good synergy with because of toxic habits. It's not easy, but at least you'll be less frustrated and more happy in the end.

You know, there are actually people who write fanfiction for cash. You should start charging this person per mini fanfiction you write! Or, maybe not write with them at all. If there's anything I've learned in the past year, sometimes it's better to drop someone you might have really good synergy with because of toxic habits. It's not easy, but at least you'll be less frustrated and more happy in the end.
Yeah I've slowly learned to not write with them if they're pushing all of the story to me. It's like you said. It's hard but needed for my own enjoyment and well being

Yeah I've slowly learned to not write with them if they're pushing all of the story to me. It's like you said. It's hard but needed for my own enjoyment and well being
Exactly. There may be people out there who are mindful of your wants, but in the end, only you care about what you want. Find something good or a better writing buddy, you deserve it.

i think im experiencing rp group burnout. i want to rp, i still enjoy rp, but i just... don't want to rp with them? the server is the only thing that's really ACTIVE atm though, and i tried making a thread but it ended up dying.

i don't want to resort to 1x1's, but it's so hard to find a good group that's active and/or consistent. 😭 im just not feeling it with the server though ugh

Theres a stage worse than "one liners"

it's "one worders"

like wow thanks.

thanks for replying to this whole long paragraph with

one. singular. word

Theres a stage worse than "one liners"

it's "one worders"

like wow thanks.

thanks for replying to this whole long paragraph with

one. singular. word
Listen, I've heard of one liners and that's enraging enough, but people do ONE WORDERS? Damn.....

Listen, I've heard of one liners and that's enraging enough, but people do ONE WORDERS? Damn.....
💀 Yeah, I just witnessed a 2 paragraph rp get replied to with one single word. It was painful. They DM'ed me to complain about it (the victim LMAO)

💀 Yeah, I just witnessed a 2 paragraph rp get replied to with one single word. It was painful. They DM'ed me to complain about it (the victim LMAO)
How do you even do a one word response to two paragraphs. Like I wouldn't even understand a one liner response to two paragraphs, but one word? Oh come on. We aren't all 7 years old here... are we?...

One: When the person claims on being a literate but yet once you write with them they give you short messages.

Why it makes me annoyed because I enjoy being a writer and plan on having advanced partners like myself.

Two: People who want just smut

Three: when people just seek a roleplay without developing a friendship.

Just some off my mind .. I'm sure I have a few more but those are my main pet peeves.

To add on reporting is entirely anonymous. You can either report the post directly or go to Staff Contact (should be above News on the home page).

Both are entirely anonymous things so the person cannot know who reported them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back