Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate it when people don't contribute much to the plot, as if in each response they only want to be guided around. In other words, I have to constantly move things along, even in exciting scenarios, as we can't seem to dwell on a scene for too long.

Additionally, it annoys me to no end when my partner's response is half the effort I put in. It could take me a half hour to my response, while theirs could be half the length....

Guy: rants about how they feel like they always put more effort into their post than the others
Me and the gang: stares in the RP being explicitly one liner-chat style

Just piss off. Whole other RPs out there if you don't like how this one writes. No need to wipe your snobby nose at this.

Guy: rants about how they feel like they always put more effort into their post than the others
Me and the gang: stares in the RP being explicitly one liner-chat style

Just piss off. Whole other RPs out there if you don't like how this one writes. No need to wipe your snobby nose at this.
Mr Krabs Meme GIF by MOODMAN
ow my feelings

A complete train wreck of grammar and punctuation. I'm not talking about the few and far in between mistakes that everyone whether they admit it or not has. I mean instances where not even grammarly can't decipher whatever it is trying to be said. Lack of periods at the end of sentences, no understanding of the difference between words for example waist and waste, or more often than acceptable misspelled character names or proper capitalization. Let's not forget text talk in dialogue.

ME. I am the problem. That's right. It's not you. It's ME. I am railroading your character into a romantic relationship with mine (please love me I am lonely) and I am making all the grammar mistakes. Additionally, I refuse to put any effort into the plot or my own writing EXCEPT when it has to do with the romantic relationship. These terms CANNOT be re-negotiated.

ME. I am the problem. That's right. It's not you. It's ME. I am railroading your character into a romantic relationship with mine (please love me I am lonely) and I am making all the grammar mistakes. Additionally, I refuse to put any effort into the plot or my own writing EXCEPT when it has to do with the romantic relationship. These terms CANNOT be re-negotiated.
lmao this is actually me

Not being given a chance to role-play because I post that I'm not into doubling up if I want to do OCxCC in a fandom. I struggle with writing. Having to feel forced to writing 100% for ANY Canon characters really makes me uncomfortable because I don't study every single character's behavior. Plus I just genuinely struggle with doing multiple characters.

Not being given a chance to role-play because I post that I'm not into doubling up if I want to do OCxCC in a fandom. I struggle with writing. Having to feel forced to writing 100% for ANY Canon characters really makes me uncomfortable because I don't study every single character's behavior. Plus I just genuinely struggle with doing multiple characters.

I think it’s because people only want to play the OC. Every single time I tell people “I don’t ship characters and I am fine just writing your love interest.” They’re totally fine with it.

I usually take the canon role and what makes me personally walk away is when people try to control my character or how I play them.

Which is really the exact reason people don’t like to do canons in the first place. They want to make their own character their own way.

It’s entirely possible to do that with canons and OCs. Because by the very nature of a canon x OC pairing it’s not gonna be exactly the same story as the original source.

You are already adding in a brand new character with new perspective, so you really don’t need to do that much research on the canon characters.

And if your familiar enough with a fandom to request characters from it then you can be familiar enough to play a character. As you aren’t copying the person from the original. Your playing an original interpretation that fits the plot.

And as someone who mostly plays canons? Trust me your partner doesn’t want an exact canon accurate character anyway. The best partners are happy to let you interpret the character your way. The worst ones will nitpick your character so much you end up playing their original character anyway.

i hate it when some grown ass adult is like "i choose [insert 15, 16, 17 year old character] as a love interest.." like, within a certain range i guess i can look over it, but mfs be in their mid 30s like "my love interest is yuji itadori 🤪" ...babes... you gotta let him go at some point. something about overlooking the plenty fine adults for a whole kid, it doesn't sit well in my spirit, and it isn't Better when you say "oh but i'm ageing them up."

When someone reaches out claiming to have read my request thread but clearly did not. Instead of offering up mutual interest ideas that we both might enjoy to plot on together, they try to shove down my throat ideas that have nothing to do with what I want to write and don't seem to want to bother to ask what I might interested in. Basically they reach out, say they read your request thread bombard you with ideas you wouldn't write and when you decline you never hear from them again. Kind of selfish to me.
I hate it when this happens!
I try to keep my search topics as brief and clear as possible. I try not to make it a wall of text, and still have it make sense. Still, people somehow "miss" information I put in there.
If you can't read, then why role play? Seems pretty pointless to me. Reading is an important part of the game.

I hate it when this happens!
I try to keep my search topics as brief and clear as possible. I try not to make it a wall of text, and still have it make sense. Still, people somehow "miss" information I put in there.
If you can't read, then why role play? Seems pretty pointless to me. Reading is an important part of the game.
Yup. I think people browse over pairings thinking there's some common interests there. Either that or are just looking for someone to say yes to their ideas/wants. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

On topic.
When you have someone that wants to adapt their solo writing, book, etc into a roleplay actively is looking for a partner for it but they basically don't want any type of input from their partner. They want to control everything. Why didn't you just write this on your own if you just planned on doing it all?

i hate it when some grown ass adult is like "i choose [insert 15, 16, 17 year old character] as a love interest.." like, within a certain range i guess i can look over it, but mfs be in their mid 30s like "my love interest is yuji itadori 🤪" ...babes... you gotta let him go at some point. something about overlooking the plenty fine adults for a whole kid, it doesn't sit well in my spirit, and it isn't Better when you say "oh but i'm ageing them up."
I honestly find people who treat fictional characters as love interests or crushes in general mildly creepy. Like nevermind ages these are not real people.

It’s one thing if your just like “I ship So and So with my OC.” But when a real ass person has crush on a imaginary person it’s a little off putting to me.

On the one hand it makes it feel like I as a real person has to validate a real life crush my partner has on a fictional person.

On the other hand it feels like they expect me to have a real life crush on their own fictional character which is a no thanks.

I honestly find people who treat fictional characters as love interests or crushes in general mildly creepy. Like nevermind ages these are not real people.
tbh i have no clue what you mean by this, it’s.. a pretty normal thing to find fictional characters attractive, especially if you just like the actor or if they just exhibit traits that you find attractive. like, yeah, obviously there’s a point at which it becomes a little weird and off putting, but otherwise it’s just like.. who cares if someone finds a fictional character hot? it’s as normal as a celebrity crush.

but beyond that, a lot of people have like, comfort characters and stuff for coping reasons, so i don’t rly see an issue with it. i just think it’s weird to see a whole grown adult romanticising and, in many cases, sexualising someone half their age, even if they’re fictional.

tbh i have no clue what you mean by this, it’s.. a pretty normal thing to find fictional characters attractive, especially if you just like the actor or if they just exhibit traits that you find attractive. like, yeah, obviously there’s a point at which it becomes a little weird and off putting, but otherwise it’s just like.. who cares if someone finds a fictional character hot? it’s as normal as a celebrity crush.

but beyond that, a lot of people have like, comfort characters and stuff for coping reasons, so i don’t rly see an issue with it. i just think it’s weird to see a whole grown adult romanticising and, in many cases, sexualising someone half their age, even if they’re fictional.

But the person isn’t real which is my point. If you have a crush on a fictional person that’s fine.

It’s weird when you ask a real person to act as a proxy for that fictional person to reciprocate your crush. It’s the asking a real person to pretend to have a crush on you (through your character) that I find off putting.

But the person isn’t real which is my point. If you have a crush on a fictional person that’s fine.

It’s weird when you ask a real person to act as a proxy for that fictional person to reciprocate your crush. It’s the asking a real person to pretend to have a crush on you (through your character) that I find off putting.
like, playing someone's love interest in a roleplay? still a pretty normal thing to do, i'd say. a very large portion of people write romance, both for canon characters and original characters, so it doesn't seem that weird in my opinion. isn't it the same as.. writing a romance book? they're just writing a little kissy stuff between two people who are not real, no biggie.
unless you mean like, someone viewing you as the character you play? in which case, that's crossing a lot of ooc boundaries and would be apart of the 'outta pocket' category, totally agree. i've heard of people doing that - never had it happen to me, except i guess when someone "liked" me because i reminded them of an anime character, but i think that was more so just weeb shit.. and it was irl, so slightly different context.

like, playing someone's love interest in a roleplay? still a pretty normal thing to do, i'd say. a very large portion of people write romance, both for canon characters and original characters, so it doesn't seem that weird in my opinion. isn't it the same as.. writing a romance book? they're just writing a little kissy stuff between two people who are not real, no biggie.
unless you mean like, someone viewing you as the character you play? in which case, that's crossing a lot of ooc boundaries and would be apart of the 'outta pocket' category, totally agree. i've heard of people doing that - never had it happen to me, except i guess when someone "liked" me because i reminded them of an anime character, but i think that was more so just weeb shit.. and it was irl, so slightly different context.

Edit sorry had to go to dinner.

To clarify I am not talking about romantic roleplays. I don’t care if you ship two characters together nor do I mind if you want to request your partner to play a particular character in a ship.

Ex. I wanna do a Captain America x OC roleplay. I need someone to play Captain America.

What I find off putting when you as a real life person have a crush on Captain America.

It would be like if I was an actor in a play and you had a crush on the character I was playing on stage. The character might be fake but I am not, I am a real person that had to deal with your romantic feelings.

And I find that very off putting.

Last edited:
Edit sorry had to go to dinner.

To clarify I am not talking about romantic roleplays. I don’t care if you ship two characters together nor do I mind if you want to request your partner to play a particular character in a ship.

Ex. I wanna do a Captain America x OC roleplay. I need someone to play Captain America.

What I find off putting when you as a real life person have a crush on Captain America.

It would be like if I was an actor in a play and you had a crush on the character I was playing on stage. The character might be fake but I am not, I am a real person that had to deal with your romantic feelings.

And I find that very off putting.
yeah, then it still doesn't really make sense to me. if someone likes a fictional character, and they're roleplaying in the fandom that this character comes from, then obviously they're going to want to ship their character with that one. it's not inherently weird, what matters more is that they understand the difference between in character and out of character. yeah, if i was roleplaying as steve rogers for someone and then they started acting flirty with me because they've come to equate me with this character that they have a crush on, then i'd be uncomfortable... but how often does that happen... ?

going along with your play analogy, let's say we're co-stars. i really like the character that you play, they're super cool! but i obviously know that you're not actually that character. i like your character, i don't like you, there's no crossover there at all - i don't see you as that character, that character is an entirely different entity. just like, for example, if you played steve rogers to me and i happened to enjoy your portrayal, i still just like steve rogers, i don't look at you in a different light just because you might write him well.

of course, you're welcome to think whatever you want - maybe you have different experiences than i do, i've just never really had to deal with someone having a crush on me because they liked the way i played a character who they had a crush on. fictional crushes are usually relatively harmless, so it's not something that i'd be disturbed by as long as it's not completely strange, like an adult having a crush on a character who is a child, or fetishizing characters based on their race or something.

yeah, then it still doesn't really make sense to me. if someone likes a fictional character, and they're roleplaying in the fandom that this character comes from, then obviously they're going to want to ship their character with that one. it's not inherently weird, what matters more is that they understand the difference between in character and out of character. yeah, if i was roleplaying as steve rogers for someone and then they started acting flirty with me because they've come to equate me with this character that they have a crush on, then i'd be uncomfortable... but how often does that happen... ?

going along with your play analogy, let's say we're co-stars. i really like the character that you play, they're super cool! but i obviously know that you're not actually that character. i like your character, i don't like you, there's no crossover there at all - i don't see you as that character, that character is an entirely different entity. just like, for example, if you played steve rogers to me and i happened to enjoy your portrayal, i still just like steve rogers, i don't look at you in a different light just because you might write him well.

of course, you're welcome to think whatever you want - maybe you have different experiences than i do, i've just never really had to deal with someone having a crush on me because they liked the way i played a character who they had a crush on. fictional crushes are usually relatively harmless, so it's not something that i'd be disturbed by as long as it's not completely strange, like an adult having a crush on a character who is a child, or fetishizing characters based on their race or something.
Just chiming in, but I have literally had that happen to me, lol. Like, a partner falling for me due to the way I wrote. I guess she identified with the character she wrote as too much, and I made her feel special. Then again, we were both about sixteen, so I guess it was less dysfunctional than it would have been had we been adults. I'm just saying it absolutely can happen (and it's not even a rare thing, judging by how many of my partners this has also happened to.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I won't say it happens every time but it's not that uncommon. I've experienced that too, more than once. But in most cases it was harmless and compared to total number of my rp partners over the years, it wasn't often at all.

Just chiming in, but I have literally had that happen to me, lol. Like, a partner falling for me due to the way I wrote. I guess she identified with the character she wrote as too much, and I made her feel special. Then again, we were both about sixteen, so I guess it was less dysfunctional than it would have been had we been adults. I'm just saying it absolutely can happen (and it's not even a rare thing, judging by how many my partners this has also happened to.)

That is a good point. Now I think about it the problem does seem to be more prevelant in newer roleplayers OR men. At least based on my own experience over the years.

I guess it’s just gotten into my head as one of the red flags for overly invested people.

Another big one is when they describe my character as “you.” Like instead of saying “your character met my character in a cafe” it’s “you met my character in a cafe.”

Like nope. I haven’t ever met a fictional character in my life and I am not starting now.

Just chiming in, but I have literally had that happen to me, lol. Like, a partner falling for me due to the way I wrote. I guess she identified with the character she wrote as too much, and I made her feel special. Then again, we were both about sixteen, so I guess it was less dysfunctional than it would have been had we been adults. I'm just saying it absolutely can happen (and it's not even a rare thing, judging by how many of my partners this has also happened to.)
yeah, my point isn't really that it doesn't happen, i know that it does happen. my point is that there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting your love interest in a roleplay to be a character that you have a lighthearted crush on, since not everyone is incapable of separating reality from fiction.

That is a good point. Now I think about it the problem does seem to be more prevelant in newer roleplayers OR men. At least based on my own experience over the years.

I guess it’s just gotten into my head as one of the red flags for overly invested people.

Another big one is when they describe my character as “you.” Like instead of saying “your character met my character in a cafe” it’s “you met my character in a cafe.”

Like nope. I haven’t ever met a fictional character in my life and I am not starting now.
i get this part. honestly... it's why i kind of don't like writing with men, because usually when i have tried writing with men, they've been very controlling over the plot, and often times very condescending. plus, like you said, some of them tend to cross the boundary between fiction and reality, super uncomfortable. i'm obv not saying all men act like that, but most of my rp experiences with men haven't been positive.

Honestly people taking it upon themselves to kill any character I create without discussing it with me first is an automatic quit for me. No second chances, done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back