Experiences Whats making you angry today? Rp pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, please do! Smut is not allowed even in Private messages! So if anyone asked for that let us know :)

One: When the person claims on being a literate but yet once you write with them they give you short messages.

Why it makes me annoyed because I enjoy being a writer and plan on having advanced partners like myself.
I feel like some people like this feel rushed(?) for some reason.

I’m a mirror role player, meaning I’ll attempt to reply with the same amount of thought and detail you give me but I find it especially annoying when you’re doing like a battle scene or something and your partner gives you the least amount of detail to work with.

- Begin Rant -​

RP Pet Peeve #487... Tailoring your character, over a short period of time, to be as romantically compatible with another character as possible based on what's said OOC rather than letting it happen dynamically in the RP itself.

Minor tangent: This is called Metagaming. And for me personally, as a GM, it's a ban-worthy offense from all my RP's.

For those unfamiliar, Metagaming is when you impart knowledge onto your character, be it real-world OOC knowledge or in-RP knowledge, which they otherwise should not possess.

For example, your character is a street rat with zero medical training. However, once a friend of theirs is injured they suddenly turn into a surgeon with the steadiest hands in the world and save their friend's life as if it were nothing. Another example, your character is a noble with zero experience talking to the "commonwealth" and no "street smarts." But when walking through the city they see a beautiful commoner girl and suddenly turn into the most street-smart Casanova you've ever seen in your life who somehow is "lucky" enough to know exactly what this girl likes to hear and how she likes to be spoken to (because you heard their owner talking about it in OOC chatter), so they basically sweep the girl off her feet right away.

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG No-No.

If two characters are compatible, they may or may not naturally find their way to each other over time as they interact. That's how romance works. It takes time. And letting it take time is how it should be because that's the big thrill. The build up and the work that goes into earning that romance.

But when you use OOC chatter as a means to start tailoring your character's behavior in unnatural ways that literally go against their own CS and bio information with the excuse being that you really ship these two characters and want them together, that ain't gonna fly. And it's so much less fulfilling and satisfying when the romance finally (or immediately) begins.

Just because you ship two characters doesn't mean getting them together is what's best for them.

Let romance happen naturally.

- End Rant -
Cheers!

So I wouldn’t say pulling skills out of their butt is meta gaming per se, that’s more “plot economy.”

So basically you have written yourself into a corner and must find a way out of it. So whamo your character has knowledge/skills specifically designed to get the writer out of the corner they wrote themselves into.

This happens ALL THE TIME in published media, so it doesn’t super bother me. I ain’t holding a hobbyist to a higher standard then like JK Rowling or the CW.

That said when someone pulls magic out of their ass that is what pisses me off. If your character suddenly knows what to do in a crisis to move the story forward. Sure whatever.

If they are suddenly Jesus and can heal the injured with a touch Im gonna throw something at the computer. At least try to make it somewhat plausible. Like idk they saw on TV this is what you do with a gushing wound or they took a first aid class at work/school. At least try to smooth out the transition.

I don't like when I'm in a roleplay with a person that constantly needs to be coached on what to do or how to write. We are supposed to be equals and partners not teacher and student.

I have this group who never posts or anthing unless me or my friend post first

they never even plot

but they complain randomly about it being dead

they never post though

My biggest peeves right now
>People being unwilling to plan out the rp together and expecting you to carry all the planning yourself- I can't carry a conversation by myself let alone carry out planning an entire rp.
>And this is probably my fault for writing my searches wrong, but getting rp requests from people with vastly different interests and ways to handle rps. I hate sending out that message that says I don't think we're a good fit and I'm gonna step out of planning this. It sucks to spend time on planning something out only to find their character belongs in a colorful high-fantasy rp when you were planning a somewhat realistic medieval. If our characters make no sense in the same setting, I just can't stand it. (Literally the exact example I'm trying to get out of, I think it's time to rewrite all of my searches everywhere.)

This isn't strictly rp-related, but what's up with all the super tiny bbcode embeds? Every single one I see turns the usable area of a post into the size of a credit card, and 10% of that area is dedicated to paragraphs displayed one line of 9-pt text at a time. I've got a 4k monitor and these types of posts are literally unreadable, lol.

I'm also a tiny bit upset about the way I've seen a lot of people talk about LGBT+ relationships in their search threads. It's one thing to say "I usually write MxF pairings" or whatever, but a lot of the "I've never done this before! I want to try writing MxM!" posts just... don't feel good to read. Maybe it's a weird complaint, and I know that nobody really means it this way, but the implicit suggestion that queer relationships are strange and unknowable makes me feel, ever so slightly, like this hobby is a time capsule from 2006. Maybe it's a personal problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hednisk hednisk I think it’s because for a lot of roleplayers they have always been the default character. A vast majority of roleplayers are straight white women. So they have always seen themselves reflected in popular media and have always been able to write their lived experiences.

But hey at least they’re willing to try to write from a new perspective rather then pulling the whole “any life experience outside of the one I have personally lived makes me scared and uncomfortable.”

Also I freaking hate tiny text or worse tiny AND light text. I’m like “why would you do this to your eyes?”

you know what i like.. don't get? and i've been experiencing it way too much - when you're doubling up with somebody in a 1x1 or whatever, and they're like, "i only do straight couples." ..? cause, for one thing, i already mention in my interest check that there's a pretty good chance that i'm gonna have lgbtq characters, being lgbtq myself. and second, why are you telling me what to do with my character? okay, you can go ahead and have your lil straight couple for your side, but if my character is paired with a girl then i'm not gonna change that just because you're afraid of a little girl kissery 🤨 deadass, i cannot understand the "well i can't write straight couples because i'm straight and i don't know what it's like" typa thing, it doesn't make sense to me. you don't know what it's like to be a superhero, you're still writing that just fine. you don't know what it's like to be in a zombie apocalypse where all your friends and family are dead, but you're perfectly okay with writing that, so what exactly is it about two girls being in love that's so baffling and difficult to you?

i think this just annoys me a little more because of the fact that, like i said, i explicitly state in my interest check that i prefer lgbtq+ friendly partners, meaning people who don't alienate same sex couples, so why do people message me anyway, knowing they exclusively do cis straight couples? i guess it's a little different if you're not doubling up, but it's still so weird to like.. try to push me into a certain gender role that i never agreed to being in.

sevyn sevyn It’s what I mentioned in my last post and also implicit bias (the people who outright say they’re uncomfortable versus the people who just “haven’t tried it before.”)

Straight people are the default so they never have to put themselves in a position of writing outside their lived experience (same with white, cis, and neurotypical people).

When all the stories are always about people who look and act like you then you never have to put yourselves into other peoples shoes.

Cuz even if your a superhero or in the zombie apocalypse or whatever 9 times in ten your a straight white man or woman if you are in published media.

So I think people assume that because they have never seen a non-white , non-straight, neurodivergent person in the default “main character” role those people must have stories they can’t identify with.

It’s why representation in media is so important, it’s not just for the marginalized it’s also for the majority.

Because being gay, a person of color, neurodivergent, etc. would seem a lot less scary if they were also just default characters in stories.

** too be fair they might also just be super religious but those types usually say it outright. **

when an rp dies because one person leaves. It's weird. Because people drop all the time, and it's not an issue, but every time I leave an rp (even telling them I can write myself out to help) the rp just dies. The whole group. Of 5~ or more people. Just stops. And then complains it died.

Like. Even when the person who was next to post just doesn't and complain it dies.

1. I don't like it when people write in paragraphs. If you're going to write that much, might as well write fanfiction. It's just not my style. I prefer rping in a few sentences I think rping that way allows more room for ideas. I feel like there should a balance. Not too much material and not too little.

2. Rps going inactive because one person stops replying. I had a friend like this on Discord. All the rps that I or she started ended up going inactive because she would stop replying. Which kind of relates to my next two.

3. People ghosting rps. I get that stuff comes up but you can at least say that you are leaving because of real life stuff or no longer interested.

4. People who keep making new rps and then ghost them after a while. Going back to my friend she would constantly come up with new ideas for a roleplay but then stop replying. Just stick to one roleplay for now.

5. People who type in small font. It hurts my eyes. If you want people to read it, why type small?

Last edited:
Not being given enough material to work with. We have characters, we have ideas but I'm putting in much more effort than I'm given in return that it feels like I'm leading everything. That's definitely not going to work nor me having to ask several times can you give me more to work with only for it to clearly be ignored.

1. I don't like it when people write in paragraphs. If you're going to write that much, might as well write fanfiction. It's just not my style. I prefer rping in a few sentences I think rping that way allows more room for ideas. I feel like there should a balance. Not too much material and not too little.
Complete opposite for me. Luckily everyone has their own style of writing they enjoy to be able to find partners with similar interests.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm on this particular site because I want to meet new writers and interact with them on a creative level -- I'm not really into writing a whole story on my own, and especially not one where I'm utilizing characters from a show or book. I love atmosphere, all the little details that make my writing partner feel as though they're right there in the scene I'm writing. I get that it can be long-winded and maybe overwhelming for writers who like short, quick responses, but at least for me, I don't think a large word count necessarily equates to a stagnant plot ^-^ Alternatively, for me, my own pet peeve would be putting a lot of effort into a post and only receiving a short response in return. If anything kills my motivation to write, it's writing with someone who wants to move the plot along at the expense of focusing on what's happening in the moment.

I just remembered something that pisses me off, and it's happened in almost every single RP I've ever been a GM for...

People. Don't. Take. Hints. When. It. Comes. To. In-World. Lore. Or. Character. Limitations!!!

Allow me to explain.

As a GM, I regularly design worlds with as much detail and richness as I can for the sake of helping spark creative juices in the participants who join, as well as to foster a more immersive environment once we're all posting. And in every RP I've ever made I do my best to go the extra mile. I'll add ancient races, civilizations, languages, etc, purely for the sake of it being there for lore reasons. For example, I'll say "this language is known only by this race, but the race is now all but extinct."

"... known only by (insert race)" should immediately make it clear that you will not speak this language if you are not of this race!

"... all but extinct" should immediately make it clear that you cannot choose this race to play!

And yet, without fail, sometimes as many as half the RPers who join, or ask to join, make a CS for that nearly extinct race and/or say they speak that language (either because they're that race or because they "learned it" from someone who studied said race and language (despite me never stating anywhere in the lore that this is even a thing that happens)).

It's gotten to the point that I've actually considered sacrificing my lore and worldbuilding, and stripping the RP of a lot of detail that otherwise would help color and fill it with richness and immersion, just to make sure that these kinds of things don't happen anymore.

And it really, really, pisses me off when things like this happen.

You go out of your way to make it as clear as possible that something is either lore-locked or just not something you want to see in the CS, but people do it anyway cause they refuse to take the hints.

... Rant over.

GojiBean GojiBean so to be fair “nearly extinct” is kinda vague. It doesn’t indicate the race is non playable just that you don’t want every character to play them.

In my experience when it comes to running a group it’s best to be very explicit. Even if something seems obvious to you it is often not obvious to your audience.

You can never spell things out too much.

I would make a color key or something, (these races are playable and these races are not). That way people know going in what they can and can’t get away with.

And more importantly you don’t get people saying “well you never said I couldnt do blah or blah.” Cuz you can point to a specific part of your posts and say “yes I did”

(Lol I get it though, I hated having to argue semantics with players as a GM. It’s why I started over-explaining. Cuz at least then there was no way for anyone to misconstrue things).

I was just reminded of a friend I used to rp with years ago who would often try railroading characters into romantic relationships. I don't at all mind writing romance in rps, but this person would try to force it between characters who had no chemistry or whose sexualities didn't line up. And they'd get really upset and pouty about it and try to guilt trip me into it. I remember they had a character get almost suicidal because my asexual aromantic character wasn't interested in having a romantic relationship with them.

I was just reminded of a friend I used to rp with years ago who would often try railroading characters into romantic relationships. I don't at all mind writing romance in rps, but this person would try to force it between characters who had no chemistry or whose sexualities didn't line up. And they'd get really upset and pouty about it and try to guilt trip me into it. I remember they had a character get almost suicidal because my asexual aromantic character wasn't interested in having a romantic relationship with them.

I am always tempted to just play those kinda things straight. Surprisingly enough the one time I explicitly had the character call out the toxic behavior of other character (and lowkey the player) it really did work. Mind the player left but at that point I just wanted to stop having arguments in the OOC anyway.

So if it’s at all in character just have your uninterested character be like “Look I need you to respect my boundaries or leave.” And if they want to pull the “Im suicidal card” alright react realistically.

*calls the doctor hospital whatever* “Yes my friend is threatening to harm themselves and I am worried about their mental state. I don’t think I can safely help them at this time, what do I do?”

Because at the end of the day all the person (character and player) wants is attention and external validation of their own insecurities. But you (and your character) are not obligated to give it to them.

So just be like “I said no, I meant no, and if you can’t accept that in a mature manner then I will absolutely treat you like your throwing a temper tantrum. Because that is exactly what is happening right now.”

And it’s way better if you do that through characters, because some people will continue to think they can railroad your in the OOC until you use character to say “Enough.”

When someone reaches out claiming to have read my request thread but clearly did not. Instead of offering up mutual interest ideas that we both might enjoy to plot on together, they try to shove down my throat ideas that have nothing to do with what I want to write and don't seem to want to bother to ask what I might interested in. Basically they reach out, say they read your request thread bombard you with ideas you wouldn't write and when you decline you never hear from them again. Kind of selfish to me.

When people always have their characters be in the right somehow. I had a partner who was like this. Whenever our ocs had a conflict for plot purposes somehow her characters were hardly ever in the wrong, and she somewhat god modded. She would sometimes put my characters in a location before I have yet to say where they were.

Edit: There was a story I wanted to add. So we were roleplaying two shady business executives that were involved in scandal they made a deal on. I won't get into too much, but my man was cheating on his wife and was caught by their daughter. My friend then had her guy said that she ran a background check on the my guy's mistress and said she was already engaged and pregnant with another man's child. She didn’t even ask me permission if I wanted a backstory on my oc's mistress. Even if we were both roleplaying a villain she still wanted to have her villain have the moral high ground. Which was weird because her man had ordered hits to kill people while my man was just a terrible husband and father. Why can't you accept the fact we're both playing a bad guy who are both involved in a corrupt partnership deal?

Last edited:
MysticFaerieQueen MysticFaerieQueen see I would be straight petty and have my character just say the other man was wrong. “like no I know for a fact she isn’t engaged or pregnant because I’m not an idiot.” Like what was your character never supposed to have talked to the woman he was banging? Or do any kind of investigation?

Cuz either he was smart enough to do his own background checks or in love enough that he would trust his mistress over a guy he knows is shady. Either way it’s a dumb move because it requires your character to have the emotional maturity of a insecure high schooler to work (and honestly the intelligence as well).

Which that is a massive pet peeve of mine, when adult characters are supposed to behave like teenagers in a bad 90s rom com. (Well in a setting where that isn’t part of the plot. Cuz for instance right now I am doing a sit com style roleplay where the whole point is people act in silly soapy ways).

But it drives me nuts when people expect adult characters to get caught up in childish mellow drama. Like no my character isn’t gonna be hurt that their best friend didn’t answer their calls because they are thirty five not fifteen. They will handle the situation like a grown ass adult.

MysticFaerieQueen MysticFaerieQueen see I would be straight petty and have my character just say the other man was wrong. “like no I know for a fact she isn’t engaged or pregnant because I’m not an idiot.” Like what was your character never supposed to have talked to the woman he was banging? Or do any kind of investigation?

Cuz either he was smart enough to do his own background checks or in love enough that he would trust his mistress over a guy he knows is shady. Either way it’s a dumb move because it requires your character to have the emotional maturity of a insecure high schooler to work (and honestly the intelligence as well).
I should have done that. There was no there was no way he could've known the woman. Her man was an executive for a hospital. Mine was an executive for a company. The mistress was a co worker of my oc's. And my guy wouldn't be dumb enough to talk about his personal affairs with anyone he is working with. In a completely different scene one of her characters did say that he had an inferiority complex. But there was still no way he could've known about the mistress. The only way he could've known about her was through my oc's daughter since she was currently a patient at the hospital and even then it still wouldn't make sense because why would an executive need to talk to a patient? Why would a middle aged man need to talk to a teenage girl? Plus the affair happened when she was about 5. The daughter is now 16. She would barely remember any details about the mistress. She straight up metagamed and she does that a lot.

Edit: Although I did put an end to it. So she kept metagaming and had her guy show my guy an article that the mistress was being sued for cheating on her fiancé while pregnant with his child so I had my guy threaten him by going to confess everything to the press. Because my guy guessed he was going to get caught eventually, and plus he has good instinct. Her oc was implying that he was planning on hurting his daughter because she knows some things about the scandal. Even though my oc isn't a good father he wouldn't just stand by and let his daughter get killed. So they got caught because her oc threw mine under the bus but a doctor I was roleplaying was investigating the two and revealed that her oc was also part of the deal so they both got arrested. Then later she wanted to say that he wasn't going to hurt the daughter and was just baiting. She ended up ghosting the rp which was somewhat disappointing because the rp was interesting. But she was such a headache to deal with, she always tried to find ways to get her characters the moral high ground even if it clashes with their motives or personality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back