Anime & Manga What was the first anime that you ever watched?

My mother kept me from anime growing up, so it wasn't until I was 14 in high school that I was able to have the freedom to watch anime. I had a free Hulu account and I saw one called "Hero Tales" I was so intrigued that I clicked on it and binged it. And that's how I popped my anime cherry.

I remember watching the original Dragon Ball series with my dad and brother when I was younger, all up to GT starting when I was around maybe 5 years old, more or less. The best part was that they were in Spanish, so they weren't censored like the American versions. Technically they also passed other animes like Ranma 1 1/2, but there's no need to get technical. Also I didn't even know what anime was and just thought that they were cartoons until I learned the difference in high school.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started watching Naruto, Pokémon, and Dragon Ball Z all around the same time as a kid before I knew the difference between anime and cartoons.

I saw Akira uncensored late night on the Sci Fi channel when I was about ten, and remember it blowing me away. I was so in love with what I just watched that it was also the first movie I ever downloaded on Kazaa all the way back in 2001 on dial up. Those were the days.

Movie still holds up to the test of time. If any of you have never seen it, I highly suggest seeking out a HQ copy and watching immediately.

My first anime ever? Digimon. However, the anime that really got me started in anime (because I only knew it was anime with that one), was Madoka Magika

The anime I first started watching was Yu-Gi-Oh!

I watched Pokemon too, but I didn't like it as much. The show that really got me into anime though was Death Note.

My first anime was dragon ball z and then I watched dragon ball and sailor moon and medabots and after that pokemon and then my interests exploded into the horizons..

If you consider The Boondocks as anime (the style is anime-inspired but is in no way near anime) then that was my first. The first English dub anime I watched was The Last Airbender, and the first Japanese dub anime I watched was Danshi Koukousei No Nichijou (Daily Lives of Highschool Boys) and I am glad for that hilarious anime.

My first ever anime had to be Naruto! I remember the ad they had on Cartoon Network and I was very interested in watching it since the animation, to me back in the day, was similar to Teen Titans and Code Lyoko!

It was shortly after that I started digging a hole into the world of anime and I started progressing into different anime that are randomly mentioned in this very thread!

0d4bd2ca572d1ff939a6c0b2483d4430.png
Probably DBZ when I was like four. Hurray for three older brothers! Always loved the series, though I think it is the prime reason that I am terrified of Monkeys/Apes. I think Sailor Moon was probably the second one that I had seen because it was the other major one that came on TV in the 90s. Though Totoro may have been before that cause I always rented it everytime we went to Blockbuster. C:

Straight to the point Gundam wing. Still one of my favorites and in my opinion the best of the Gundam series.

The first Anime I watched was Wolf's Rain, I never finished it though because I'm a very Emotional person and it made me really sad (Thinking about this makes me wonder how I managed to finish Sword Art Online. I cried alot) I don't remember it all too well though

My first was Attack on Titan, I've attempted to watch other anime's but I just can't get into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not exactly sure.... Either Saint Seiya or Speed Racer. Captain Tsubasa is another possible candidate.

The first anime I saw from top to bottom might have been either Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop or Slayers

My first anime would be inuyasha I guess. My mom liked it a lot and I just tagged along to watch… I was young :3

Then I stopped watching anime, then went back to it during the Death Note hype :3

Honestly? I don't remember.

However, the first anime I remember watching is Pokemon. I am fairly sure I watched anime before that, but Pokemon is the first thing that comes to mind as a true anime show that I watched as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back