Other What languages do you speak

Languages ye speak

• Total voters
English, basic French (I'm Canadian), and a number of phrases in other languages. Especially Japanese and Arabic.

English is my first language. I took six years of Spanish, and can carry on some conversations, however I failed at actually paying attention while in class, so my responses may not be proper.
Other than that, ASL, if that counts. ^^

1. English
2. Chinese (Mandarin, Hokkien and Cantonese)
3. Malayam
4. French (basic and only because of college class curriculum)

Currently learning Japanese and Russian

I am a native English speaker. I have taken formal German classes for 4 1/2 years, and I plan to keep studying it in college. To a fellow American, I speak great German, but I would sound out of place in Berlin. =P

English (my first)
Japanese (3 years of classes)
C++ (1.5 years of classes)
Klingon (3 years of self-taught study)

1. Portuguese (I'm Brazilian!)
  2. English (Mostly self taught, fluent. Have a bit of an accent that messes my pronunciations sometimes.)
  3. Spanish (Learned the basics at school, then practiced talking to people on the internet, talked to people IRL a couple times too. Could write a good deal)
  4. Japanese (Had classes for a while [A year and a half] and I learned a lot from what I like [Anime and Vocaloid], could keep a simple conversation going, can understand parts of songs by listening with attention. Could dabble into song translation if I wanted to? : O)

Last edited:
1. English
2. Esperanto
3. French (barely. It’s been a long time. I might not even remember any of it.)
4. Swedish (barely any at all. I just started learning it.)

Duolingo is fuckin great.

I am a native Portuguese speaker which boosted me into knowing the more conventional part of the Spanish language , so I can hold a conversation there. I know a year's worth of French, and a tiny bit of German and Latin. I have a cambridge proficiency....certificate? In English.

Lastly, I know a weeb's worth of Japanese.

English and French as a second language, though I wouldn't consider myself fluent in it. On that note, excellent work France in the world cup!

So interesting to see that most people on here are native English speakers! I am a Dutch native speaker, and I am also fluent in English. Next to that I know bits of French and German which I learned in school (I understand and read German pretty well, French is something else ehrm). I also spend some time abroad so I can read quite some Danish (understanding/speaking is impossible: weirdest language ever). I also started to learn Spanish on Duolingo a while ago :')

Also, do HTML and CSS count? Hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back