Experiences What is the Most Frustrating RP you have ever been apart of?

Hence why it is my worst.

Generally, at that point I'd have reported them for potential abuse in the real world, as that isn't something a person with a normal childhood would come up with. Maybe a rude/workaholic father, but out right abuse? No, not really.

Generally, at that point I'd have reported them for potential abuse in the real world, as that isn't something a person with a normal childhood would come up with. Maybe a rude/workaholic father, but out right abuse? No, not really.
Well, unfortunately my old site wasn't a proper RP platform. I spared certain details of course, as surely it was just about to go to unacceptable reaches. So yeah, 0/10 would not do again.

The most frustrating RP I was ever apart of was my very first RP. My friend and I got invited to join this RP with this guy. It was going fine at first until we got to the fighting scenes. All of his characters were so overpowered. It got to the point where he would kill our characters in his posts! Needless to say, it didn't take long before we said screw this and left.

The most frustrating RP I was ever apart of was my very first RP. My friend and I got invited to join this RP with this guy. It was going fine at first until we got to the fighting scenes. All of his characters were so overpowered. It got to the point where he would kill our characters in his posts! Needless to say, it didn't take long before we said screw this and left.
It's a good thing that people have learned to stop powerplaying by this point. *heavy sarcasm*

I swore up and down I would never make or join a roleplay with stat systems because dice were boring and stifled creativity....

But goddamn is it helpful to force people to work inside the system and not be powerplaying little shits.

I swore up and down I would never make or join a roleplay with stat systems because dice were boring and stifled creativity....

But goddamn is it helpful to force people to work inside the system and not be powerplaying little shits.
I used to not like stat systems either until I saw so many that would abuse their freedom. It got annoying, and I found that forcing them to set a limit helps. Of course, they almost always attempt to make their character the most powerful within those limits, but it helps.

My frustrating mostly come from experiences have to do with powerplaying.
In one instance a player had their character challenge a villain, one of the big bads. When the villain moved to cut them open, they swore up and down, paragraphs, of why their character would be faster because they knew martial arts. This was also the player who would invent new and wacky powers for their characters every time something challenged them. There are seriously so many now (including one character who gained the power to manipulate their hair), that they don't remember what abilities they have and stick to using those they had from the beginning. They even admitted OOC once that they just didn't want their character to die. Otherwise though, their fine, and we have plenty of fun.

The most frustrating was a player who invented a villain who no matter what we did could not be stopped. Even their characters ended up badly wounded half the time (of course, their characters still stood a better fighting chance than mine did every time). I spoke to them a few times about it, but really I just wanted to see what they would say when they realized the problem themselves. So all of our strongest characters went, then the next after that, then the next after that 'til we were left with a handful of survivors, all of which were characters we hardly used, didn't like, and were a breath away form death at all times. 'Course we're still good pals. Today when I speak with them, you can still hear the regret in their voice when I bring it up. It's pretty funny.

I used to not like stat systems either until I saw so many that would abuse their freedom. It got annoying, and I found that forcing them to set a limit helps. Of course, they almost always attempt to make their character the most powerful within those limits, but it helps.
When you put it like that, i suppose the most frustrating RP I've been in is the superhero school RP that I'm running right now. A lot of players have come and gone who see my stat system as a challenge instead of rules to help keep shit sane.

I'd have to say the most annoyed I ever was on an RP, was one on another site.
I don't remember the main plot of the RP, as it was a few years ago that I last posted on it. But what I do remember is that it was a 'public' RP, and the longest running one on the site. I wasn't one of the first people to join, as I actually joined about mid-way through the RP, however, due to the fact that I was one of the three people who posted regularly, the creator of the RP trusted me with managing it while they were away on vacation.

Now to the annoying part. About two days after they went on vacation, I received an email from them stating that they were putting me in charge permanently, as they wouldn't have enough time to get on after vacation, due to school/work. Now, that's not that annoying, as it happens. But the annoying part, was shortly after the two of us made the announcement, people began leaving the RP. It wasn't that the original owner left, but because a small group of RPers took over the RP, despite the owner of the RP saying everything was up to me. They turned it into an endless macho-match with all of their characters being Gary Stues and Mary Sues.

I found out a bit later, that they had tried doing the same thing to the RP before. Not once or twice, but every time the creator went on vacation, which since the RPs start, was about 6 or 7 times. This time however, they weren't taking "No" for an answer. The RP died because of them after only 2 weeks.

An RP that was almost 10 years old, died because 5 of the 56 people in the RP, didn't like that they weren't allowed to have unbeatable gods as characters.
I bet they had the entire RP site pissed at them. Please tell me that these people got banned for the horseshit they pulled numerous times.

Any RP that doesn't finish is the most frustrating RP I've ever been apart of.
Huh. Nome of my RPs have a proper ending. I didn't know that was a thing!
The closest I've heard is that the players involved decide that it's a good place to stop and make a nice ending scene to tie everything up.

Okay but this is literally my worst nightmare??? The thought of being on either end makes me so anxious. Did you try talking to her about it, and if so, how did that go?

Ah don't worry, if you're worried about not contributing chances are you're way better than she was.

I did talk, actually, but nothing came of it. Even though I phrased it as gentle as I could she panicked and started apologising like crazy. She got better for a few posts and then went back to inert-lump-mode. When I left I felt kinda bad, but I really couldn't take any more.

Last edited:
Before I came here, on a different site I joined an RP. The only things I remember about it is that it pollution destroyed ozone layers, boom UV rays. I just played as a normal guy trying to survive, but there were these two guys who, mid-way through the RP mutated from the radiation of UV rays.

Now, these guys were overpowered, unrealistic mutants. They could run faster then cars, withstand bullets and had intense super strength. I hated it so much. But luckily the owner of the RP kicked them out so we didn't have to keep dealing with it.

Before I came here, on a different site I joined an RP. The only things I remember about it is that it pollution destroyed ozone layers, boom UV rays. I just played as a normal guy trying to survive, but there were these two guys who, mid-way through the RP mutated from the radiation of UV rays.

Now, these guys were overpowered, unrealistic mutants. They could run faster then cars, withstand bullets and had intense super strength. I hated it so much. But luckily the owner of the RP kicked them out so we didn't have to keep dealing with it.
So they became Z-list marvel characters?
(A picture of Solarman was meant to go here, but the url didn't work.)

Last edited:
Tbh I can't remember the most frustrating rp I've ever been in, but in recent memory, I did have a frustrating experience in a 1x1 I did a couple years back. The rp was fine at first, but as it went on, I grew more and more bothered by their OC. Problem was, the OC was a massive pushover who would have let my character walk all over them. I don't mind rping with meek characters, but everyone has a limit, right? I like to push those limits and see them snap back. If my character does something wrong to their character, I want there to be consequences before the resolve—if there even is a resolve, that is. I never felt like there were adequate consequences with their character. At worst, their character would get a little mad at my character but would shrink away and give in if my character challenged them back, despite their character being in the right. I even considered having my character cheat on their character at one point just to see if I would get a different reaction, but it would have been OOC and I decided against it. The character I was playing wasn't a jerk, but he did have a temper and wasn't the best at keeping promises. I guess what I wanted was a moment where he realized he was in the wrong and truly felt like he fucked up, but that never came. The rp lacked conflict and I grew tired of thinking up almost every new idea, so I let it die.

I don't know. Maybe I just like to play with fire in my rps, aha.

I rp'ed on kik once. (: This is what happened:

In all seriousness, no- that's what happened. Star rp'ing and everything.

A guy made a super OP samurai character in a medieval European setting that used dual swords and he had some demonic alter ego and his rock hard, ever-erect iron will alone somehow allowed him to win every battle despite all real life logic. He tested the gm's (my c: ) patience and authority all the time.
Fuck you Kevin.

But it doesn't end there, nah.
Before the rp even started, I was only co-gm before the incompetent leader dumped it all on me. And she broke her own rules. Constantly. But nobody else could.

That's why I love DnD.

I bet they had the entire RP site pissed at them. Please tell me that these people got banned for the horseshit they pulled numerous times.

They were actually banned, as that 10 year RP was what was bringing new people to the site. Well, that RP and maybe two other long running RPs.

The most frustrating Rp I've ever been apart of was my own creation. It was a fallout new Vegas Rp to which I have no idea what my plot was cause I'm over it. Anyway it was a dice Rp with the standard roll dice to see how effective you did stuff.

Anyways we all had our stats and when we got to the first fight there was this person who had a character who was part of the evil faction of the world in the Rp, Ceasars legion. Well part of this was my fault because I made a joke about their character being an agility goddess cause from she was pretty fast and she got a good roll and apparently my joke rubbed them the wrong way.

So anyways when it was my turn to roll for my Raider gang I had a couple raiders attack her with their shitty guns and guess what I got? A natural Crit. So because of this I had to attack her by using coordination with my raider buddies. She was using a body as cover which wasn't good cover by the way since it's a body, so from what I remember I had my dudes go around at the same time and shit her.

This pissed off the person as they began debating me that it wasn't realistic, that I shot through the body which pipe guns ((Standard weapon for low level raider grunts)) apparently can't shoot through cause they're essentially weak. I told them that I rolled a Crit and when you use a dice Rp that you must suspend your realism a bit and that it was a fallout Rp which isn't very realistic.

They then used what I said against me and saying if we gave up realism then they could just end time altogether and I was like "No, just because I said suspend some realism doesn't mean that the whole universe can be destroyed. It doesn't work that way." Then they brought up the point of my joke which I immediately apologized for saying it was a joke. Subsequently after this fight they left the Rp and I was just pissed off, most interest had died because of this so I just said "Fuck it, I'm going to kill off their character." And I did.

It would've been a good Rp too. Oh and they talked bad about me too later on! They quoted one of my posts somewhere else and said I got pissed and killed off their character which I did do because the Rp was dead anyway. And they didn't even tell the full story.

That's pretty much the single handed most frustrating Rp I've ever been in, other than a couple but those are standard it died too fast Rps.

Tbh I can't remember the most frustrating rp I've ever been in, but in recent memory, I did have a frustrating experience in a 1x1 I did a couple years back. The rp was fine at first, but as it went on, I grew more and more bothered by their OC. Problem was, the OC was a massive pushover who would have let my character walk all over them. I don't mind rping with meek characters, but everyone has a limit, right? I like to push those limits and see them snap back. If my character does something wrong to their character, I want there to be consequences before the resolve—if there even is a resolve, that is. I never felt like there were adequate consequences with their character. At worst, their character would get a little mad at my character but would shrink away and give in if my character challenged them back, despite their character being in the right. I even considered having my character cheat on their character at one point just to see if I would get a different reaction, but it would have been OOC and I decided against it. The character I was playing wasn't a jerk, but he did have a temper and wasn't the best at keeping promises. I guess what I wanted was a moment where he realized he was in the wrong and truly felt like he fucked up, but that never came. The rp lacked conflict and I grew tired of thinking up almost every new idea, so I let it die.

I don't know. Maybe I just like to play with fire in my rps, aha.

And this is why I steer clear of purely pairing based or most canon x oc roleplays. Because in my experience it is usually only one person pushing the roleplay forward ( whichever person is supposed to be playing the "dominant" person in the relationship ).

So it's either - my character gets stuck carrying a passive doormat through the entire roleplay OR the other person getting pissy when my character reacts like a normal human being and actually gives some push back to being walked all over. ( because apparently in this style of roleplay only one person in the relationship is allowed to have any personality or motivation )

Coward Coward What I don't understand is... why???? If she was just gonna have her character do nothing and not interact, why role-play? Why??? Why not just write reams of internal monologue for herself, if that's what she wanted, or pick up a book if she was looking for reading material? The entire reason I get the role-play itch is because I want to respond to other people's characters and then see how they respond to mine. If you're not going to do that... why on earth would you bother roleplaying??????

Coward Coward What I don't understand is... why???? If she was just gonna have her character do nothing and not interact, why role-play? Why??? Why not just write reams of internal monologue for herself, if that's what she wanted, or pick up a book if she was looking for reading material? The entire reason I get the role-play itch is because I want to respond to other people's characters and then see how they respond to mine. If you're not going to do that... why on earth would you bother roleplaying??????

Escapism or wish-fullfillment. These people put themselves in the shoes of the "female protagonist" and basically want to live out a fantasy where some big strong male ( or sometimes female ) basically sweeps them off their feet and takes care of them. The whole idea of this fantasy is that they ( the passive/submissive/feminine/whatever word you want to use for what is basically the doormat ) don't have to put any thought or effort into the relationship as their more ( masculine/dominant/whatever word you want to use for the person who puts effort in ) partner does all the work.

Escapism or wish-fullfillment. These people put themselves in the shoes of the "female protagonist" and basically want to live out a fantasy where some big strong male ( or sometimes female ) basically sweeps them off their feet and takes care of them. The whole idea of this fantasy is that they ( the passive/submissive/feminine/whatever word you want to use for what is basically the doormat ) don't have to put any thought or effort into the relationship as their more ( masculine/dominant/whatever word you want to use for the person who puts effort in ) partner does all the work.

God, that's just... *dumb*.

I mean, even in those kind of situations, the "passive" party still has to react and respond! They just do so passively! It's not even that difficult to write a subtle or quiet character as long as you pay attention to their facial expressions and body language.

Not to mention it seems ridiculously boring, but I guess that's how you get books like Twilight where literally nothing happens for hundreds of pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back