Experiences What is the Most Frustrating RP you have ever been apart of?

He was a young, gay, angsty teen who was simultaneously a master inventor. It seemed like he always had some stupid gadget for every scenario, in a world that didn't really have technology as advanced as what he carried around in his satchel.

But the worst part was that we wouldn't even play half the time, because he was being a young, gay, angsty teen who just wanted to talk about drama with his boyfriends.

So I was damned if I did play with him. And I was damned if I didn't.

It was quite maddening.

the worst roleplay

was the one

that died

the same day

XD

but seriously, I had this one where I would have believed English was their second language or they had never been to a grammar class because nothing made any sense. no sentence structure - no correct spelling - either too much or too little punctuation - the challenge was simply trying to read it.

There are some serious horror stories here...

The worst I had was probably a pokemon RP that I was the GM of. It was based around two gijinka tribes and the feud between them resulting from conflicting views on normal humans. Everything started out alright. We had a decent variety of characters and the players were all pretty decent writers and followed the rules without complaints.

One player's character was the general of the one tribe. The character was a bit of a dick which is really chilled since I find it creates variety. However, at some point, the player just decided to ignore any plans I had for the RP and attack the other village by himself with some noface troops. Now, both tribes had a tentative truce that wasn't meant to be broken yet, so obviously the others from the general's tribe go to stop him.

I tried to talk to the player, but he didn't really respond. In the end, he had two full tribes all fighting against him, and then goes and pulls stunts that did not fit the lore at all. In the end, I let another player (a friend who I could thankfully trust) go mega using the power of his will so we could kill the general off and keep playing.

Back then I was far more lenient with who I let join, so we got a few people who's posts were... Well, painful to read. Everyone sort of left after that and the RP became deadarooni

I was in that rp and I was at the beginning of the attack but that's how it died? That sucks.

P.s. sorry for my overtly edgy character.... I'm passed those now.

Lets see it was a gurps mecha game i think 2nd or 3rd edition cant really remember. I took enemy at a high point. My character was coming from another star system with a prototype transforming mecha with an A.I. due to some reason my character was waking up from a slumber only to find himself in a future with rest of the crew of the ship his mecha was loaded. he was in cold sleep in the mecha itself. Anyway after a couple of seasons without my knowing it seems GM gave some sort of turn off switch to my mecha which shouldn't have been tampered with current earths technology to another player told that my character had some mental issues. We were not even sure if we were on earth or in another planet so ship captain decided to send me to high orbit so I can get a look at the planet we are in. And while I was rising to outer atmosphere other player in the name 'protecting ships crew from a potential threat' pressed the switch than GM turned to me and told me that my craft not only stopped working but it also released a sleeping gas inside than I fall to my death. When I asked 'I ran a full diagnostics on the mecha's program when I woke up how the hell they put a program that can Override my code apparently my secret enemy had a higher priority on the mecha's interface and I was the third highest one after builder of the mecha who was my father and my enemy who was my brother and GM just said 'Your enemy loaded it while you were asleep in the mecha and hid the program from interface'. Never bothered to play with GM or other guy in an rpg again.

One of my RPs was a 1x1 where I was used to just RP some weird kinky fantasies and questionable ships... I dropped it eventually, as it became pure smut. I don't mind it in a RP (with legals and off-site, of course), but it became the RP. There was no longer any plot in it

One of my RPs was a 1x1 where I was used to just RP some weird kinky fantasies and questionable ships... I dropped it eventually, as it became pure smut. I don't mind it in a RP (with legals and off-site, of course), but it became the RP. There was no longer any plot in it
I was in a similar situation. One of my old friends and I were RPing on another site and it was okay at first, but it just lost the plot and became more sexual with each post.
This friend and I don't talk anymore because I think they deactivated their account or they just aren't active.

I've been in countless RPs about one particular fandom. I get really excited at the start of them but then the GM starts allowing all these species/races/characters that would never be in the world just to get more people. It frustrates me.

Wow, these are all horror stories, the only real bad time I had was on a different site. A fantasy RP, a person made like 4 or 5 OP characters, one of them had a power to just destroy the soul of any living being. They would have the said character go on rampages at random and made minor characters die just because they can.

I was in a multifandom once and all the characters were fairly average, some having powers, some not. Any overpowered characters (looking at you, one punch man) became inactive and we kinda ignored them. All kinds of shenanigans happened and we ended up killing a character. The player was okay with it and made a new character. After the death of the character, there really wasn't much progression besides me more or less forcing it to night time by repeating things like "wow it's getting dark" until everyone else caught on. We came up with the goal to make it to the only landmark in sight.

It was at this point that we got a group of players playing overpowered characters with ultra long cs'. The cs' seemed to be copy and pasted from the wikis. I stalked investigated these players and found they were in a lot of multifandom rps, many with the same exact cs and character. Nothing wrong with that, but it did raise my suspicions. In my search I had found an ooc thread with a player ragequitting an rp, saying how the group took over every multifandom they joined.

The gm didn't know any of this and was pretty lax anyway, so they let the group in. This resulted in pages of oneliners in an afternoon. This happened everyday. The gm was in a time zone hours ahead of this group, and they had limited hours on the computer, which meant that the oneliner floods happened after they logged out. Again, the gm was lax, allowing oneliners despite the others having multiparagraph posts, the tradition as long as the rp itself.

I was not officially a gm or cogm, though that's what I had acted as. I made several charts in google sheets, including a shipping chart, interfandom headcanon, and a memorial service for someone thought to have been lost in the flood. I never did anything to discipline players or anything like that. I was only that person who upkept the knowledge. During one of the floods, I got fed up and played gm. I wrote a strongly worded letter towards one of the members of the group, which slowed down the floods for a bit. The gm said nothing about this, and I didn't do anything of this sort afterwards.

The new group had turned the rp into endless fighting in a black void, something that seemed like it belonged in the coliseum before it existed. There was no plot progression to be made, when before there was a whole accidental "ruin a character's life and get another one seriously injured and kidnapped" scenario that had happened. It was cringy as fuck and it was amazing, the longest lasting rp I have ever been in. The floods drowned us, and we got swept away, leaving the rp to die.

One of the members rebooted the rp, and the same thing happened again with the same people and the same characters, despite the new gm. Afterwards, the group invited me to join their multifandom hosted project. I didn't reply.

After losing this rp and having no others currently running, as well as finding no new ones to my liking, I left this site for a while, but that's another story.

When I was active on RoleplayerGuild, I made a Roleplay that would end up becoming massive and I eventually lost control of it. Before I lost control of it, I had already regretted it due to the fact that one guy would NOT STOP PMing me about it. This guy also had multiple warnings to stop speed-posting, but he never seemed to listen. I tried handing the RP over to a friend of mine, but he was quick to throw me under the bus by stating that I was a "bad GM" for not wanting to continue with it. It was such a frustrating affair.

There was a roleplay I joined based on a particular fandom a while back. Shared elements with the series but was an entirely original setting and cast. Everything was thought out extremely well and presented adequately. The GM really had a way of painting a picture with words, and the characters were all really different from one another. Not a single edgelord in sight, which is something I can say for a grand total of zero of the other topics I've been a part of. Some people did get turned away during the application process which I wish more people would do based on quality rather than order of submission. Easy enough to fill out a CS skeleton but simply having a character exist without any coherent motivation or backstory is...well, terrible, as everyone knows.

Topic starts. Everyone makes their introduction posts. Characters get grouped together due to events, and the adventure starts. We had...I believe nine members at the time, and we were going with a "one post per roleplayer each cycle" system since battles were influenced heavily by a dice system. Didn't want anyone to get skipped. Unfortunately life happened. Or disinterest happened. The GM had to keep poking people at the end of each cycle reminding them to post. I sent messages to several of the people in question in private just to see if they were alright, or if they had concerns, or whatevs. One roleplayer was completely inactive and had their character killed off in a manner very specific to that topic, which actually worked out well as it motivated the rest of the cast to keep moving forward.

Around that time I joined another roleplay. Just a fun side thing that I honestly hadn't put a lot of effort into. Was quite enjoyable. So I was juggling both of those for a while. Do keep in mind, the other one was...well, fairly detailed. None of this "one-to-four sentences per post, seventy posts an hour" tripe. Can't stand that. Even with that other person disappearing we were still at eight as well so things really didn't ever have a realistic chance of moving too quickly.

After a really, really terrible day at work I came back home to see a new conversation had been started by one of the members telling me to look at the out-of-character chat and discuss what the GM was going on about. Didn't really know what was up, but I found out that he decided to give up on the roleplay because of a lack of interest, and that I had "abandoned his topic for another one." Something to that end, I'm paraphrasing as I don't feel like digging it up. All that because I hadn't posted for...I believe about a day and a half in the middle of one of the cycles. About the same speed we had been going, and the pace due to the actions of all the characters and the GM kept the plot going forward.

Maybe I'm just a softy. Or maybe I was just really tired and upset from the events of that day. That really hurt. I posted in the OOC chat doing my best to remain civil, explaining how the other topic didn't take anywhere near as much effort (not that I should have had any obligation to as it really wasn't any of their business to begin with) and that I was upset with him. After all, I had been fairly active and friendly. I had been trying to help whoever wanted it with anything relating to the topic. I wasn't in any way considered "staff." I was just trying to be nice. While he had to poke the others I had always kept up. So feeling I fell behind once he went behind my back, stalked the other topic I was in, then started complaining to everyone else without even thinking once to ask what was going on directly to my face.

There was a group conversation with the other members about what to do but they all seemed a bit irked at his expectations. Some tried to keep it going but it wasn't our plot or topic to take. So I left and immediately after he sent me a message talking about how he was annoyed because I was "making him look like the villain." Again, I'm paraphrasing since I don't want to dig it up. It was basically that though. I can't remember exactly what I wrote, something about how I really enjoyed the topic and thought he was a decent writer. Just tapped out after that, left the conversation. Cut off all ties.

Definitely not the worst one I've been a part of. Not at all. Absolutely the most frustrating though. I always put my heart into the ones I actually jump into and I really was excited for this, so to have it end in that way for that reason just...yeah, no. Had to take a bit of a break from RPN after that.

Last edited:
AThiefOfSpades AThiefOfSpades It was. That seriously hurt my feelings. People need to keep in mind that there are individuals behind these accounts. Just try talking to them to see what's up instead of flying off the handle like that.

This was an in person game. It had every bad rp trope in the book, but the worst of all was this one scene when the party was captured. They were supposed to fight in this big gladiatorial event. Well on the way into the arena the players rushed one of the guards and took his weapon. It was one of those magical situations where the players just keep rolling super well on the dice. Everyone was cheering and having a great time. The party wound up starting a full fledge slave up rising. My character told the druid to bird shift and fly off to get help. The GM actually said that he flew into a magical force field (this was a world with no magic) then a bolt of lightning came down from the sky and knocked the party unconscious.

I haven't had any super bad ones. But I had one it was a fandom and I started because for some reason I like to start and for my 2 characters i typed out a pretty long intro. Somewhere between 8 to 10 paragraphs and I was really really proud of it. The person gets back to me super quick their intro for both was less than a paragraph I had to end it than and there than that person blamed it on me. I mean don't get me wrong I love rapid fire rps but come on there is a line.

I have almost the most post out of anyone in this site (only a few surpassing me). Surprisingly enough, I have very little bad experiences. I have gone LARPing and that's a when different story. Still fun to where a leather suit of armor and beat the shit out of someone with a blunt sword.

To go into more detail, a guy was using a mace head that was not allowed. But after 2 hours of him and the GM's argued he started to fight with the GM's he was kicked out but came back 1 month later, with a sword that was not dull enough and sent someone the the ER.

AThiefOfSpades AThiefOfSpades It was. That seriously hurt my feelings. People need to keep in mind that there are individuals behind these accounts. Just try talking to them to see what's up instead of flying off the handle like that.
If I were the GM in the situation, I would have contacted you to see what was up after 24 hours instead of taking the approach they did. You made a good point, they forget that there are people behind the screen with feelings.

There was this one realistic RP where I was playing a wallflower-esque character. The GM asked me if I wanted her to be the mother of her character's kid. Thing is, they then turned around and said that she left their character and their kid. As a result everyone's character treated mine like dirt and it was hard to even write a sentence without one or all being nasty. Basically the RP was a bunch of people deciding to have their characters hate on mine. After a while I just left because they were going beyond just RPing and were just being jerks. Even in OOC. I didn't know what I did.... >_>

There was this one realistic RP where I was playing a wallflower-esque character. The GM asked me if I wanted her to be the mother of her character's kid. Thing is, they then turned around and said that she left their character and their kid. As a result everyone's character treated mine like dirt and it was hard to even write a sentence without one or all being nasty. Basically the RP was a bunch of people deciding to have their characters hate on mine. After a while I just left because they were going beyond just RPing and were just being jerks. Even in OOC. I didn't know what I did.... >_>
Nothing, you did nothing, they're just sour assholes.

There was a roleplay I joined based on a particular fandom a while back. Shared elements with the series but was an entirely original setting and cast. Everything was thought out extremely well and presented adequately. The GM really had a way of painting a picture with words, and the characters were all really different from one another. Not a single edgelord in sight, which is something I can say for a grand total of zero of the other topics I've been a part of. Some people did get turned away during the application process which I wish more people would do based on quality rather than order of submission. Easy enough to fill out a CS skeleton but simply having a character exist without any coherent motivation or backstory is...well, terrible, as everyone knows.

Topic starts. Everyone makes their introduction posts. Characters get grouped together due to events, and the adventure starts. We had...I believe nine members at the time, and we were going with a "one post per roleplayer each cycle" system since battles were influenced heavily by a dice system. Didn't want anyone to get skipped. Unfortunately life happened. Or disinterest happened. The GM had to keep poking people at the end of each cycle reminding them to post. I sent messages to several of the people in question in private just to see if they were alright, or if they had concerns, or whatevs. One roleplayer was completely inactive and had their character killed off in a manner very specific to that topic, which actually worked out well as it motivated the rest of the cast to keep moving forward.

Around that time I joined another roleplay. Just a fun side thing that I honestly hadn't put a lot of effort into. Was quite enjoyable. So I was juggling both of those for a while. Do keep in mind, the other one was...well, fairly detailed. None of this "one-to-four sentences per post, seventy posts an hour" tripe. Can't stand that. Even with that other person disappearing we were still at eight as well so things really didn't ever have a realistic chance of moving too quickly.

After a really, really terrible day at work I came back home to see a new conversation had been started by one of the members telling me to look at the out-of-character chat and discuss what the GM was going on about. Didn't really know what was up, but I found out that he decided to give up on the roleplay because of a lack of interest, and that I had "abandoned his topic for another one." Something to that end, I'm paraphrasing as I don't feel like digging it up. All that because I hadn't posted for...I believe about a day and a half in the middle of one of the cycles. About the same speed we had been going, and the pace due to the actions of all the characters and the GM kept the plot going forward.

Maybe I'm just a softy. Or maybe I was just really tired and upset from the events of that day. That really hurt. I posted in the OOC chat doing my best to remain civil, explaining how the other topic didn't take anywhere near as much effort (not that I should have had any obligation to as it really wasn't any of their business to begin with) and that I was upset with him. After all, I had been fairly active and friendly. I had been trying to help whoever wanted it with anything relating to the topic. I wasn't in any way considered "staff." I was just trying to be nice. While he had to poke the others I had always kept up. So feeling I fell behind once he went behind my back, stalked the other topic I was in, then started complaining to everyone else without even thinking once to ask what was going on directly to my face.

There was a group conversation with the other members about what to do but they all seemed a bit irked at his expectations. Some tried to keep it going but it wasn't our plot or topic to take. So I left and immediately after he sent me a message talking about how he was annoyed because I was "making him look like the villain." Again, I'm paraphrasing since I don't want to dig it up. It was basically that though. I can't remember exactly what I wrote, something about how I really enjoyed the topic and thought he was a decent writer. Just tapped out after that, left the conversation. Cut off all ties.

Definitely not the worst one I've been a part of. Not at all. Absolutely the most frustrating though. I always put my heart into the ones I actually jump into and I really was excited for this, so to have it end in that way for that reason just...yeah, no. Had to take a bit of a break from RPN after that.

I read this story and thought it sounded a lot like something I had seen before.

Then I remembered I was actually in that RP.

But yeah, that was one hugely disappointing moment. It was one of the first solid RPs I had been in for a long time, and the GM just had to piss it all away because he just couldn't be patient. I even tried to tell him it was the bloody facts of RPing that shit gets slow, but he wouldn't have it.

Now I'm not even really in any active RPs at all.

Upton O Goode Upton O Goode Yup yup. I believe you had the handle of uh...Tarquin, if I recall correctly? Was such a bummer, so much potential there flushed down the drain for nothing.

I'm attempting to get into a few again but I'm trying to keep my expectations incredibly low now. Probably for the best. Would really like to bring my character from that roleplay back if the opportunity ever arises.

Back when I used to participate in group roleplays, there was this person on a particular RP site who kept copying my characters word for word and using them in other rps with other people. She didn’t even bother to match the responses with the given storyline. It was complete nonsense. I have no idea why she did what she did but whenever I saw her enter the same rp I was in, I would immediately leave. I reported her several times but no one did anything about it. In the end I just deleted all of my posts and left the site forever.

On another RP site I had the misfortune of roleplaying as a female character who was very career-driven and disinterested in romance. The rp was about the corporate world and rivalry but the other characters, particularly male ones, kept wanting to initiate a romantic relationship with my character as if that was the only way to undermine the success of a female character. It was very frustrating trying to get it through their heads that the RP was not romance-centered and that it didn’t matter whether my character was male or female. I don’t think I’ve ever rp-ed as a female since then unless it wasn’t a one x one story or with people I knew.

And lastly, there was this one brilliant roleplay I experienced with a person I’ve always admired. It was a group rp but we ended up pair-matching somewhere in the middle. Anyway, my character was on his way of accidentally wrecking havoc as agreed upon and my partner’s character was supposed to decide whether to kill him or save him. It was incredibly intense and it had me at the edge of my seat. I didn’t care whether my character lived or died or whether other characters’ relationship dynamic would get in the way of my having the time of my life – I was already experiencing bliss. HOWEVER, the very next day, the GM DELETED the whole thing! The entire RP gone in a flash. I think I raged for a whole year. Also one of the reasons why I don’t participate in group rps anymore.

Gosh, I had to go outside and breathe for a moment after recounting this.

Last edited:

Nothing. Some people just can't understand the difference between characters and the players who portray them. Also sometimes people just like to jump on a bandwagon. Like if everyone is hating on one person you assume you have to do the same thing to fit in.

It's childish and idiotic and thankfully most people grow out of it once they leave their teens. And the ones who don't are just being dicks to get attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back