Experiences What is the Most Frustrating RP you have ever been apart of?

First, science and supernatural don't mix well.
I've actually find they mix together quite interestingly if you're willing to put in effort. Besides, when humans are involved you have to have a basic knowledge of humanity. For instance, you must know that a stake in the heart will kill anybody.
Fun fact, that's what landed my character in the hospital, and turning human was touted to have saved him.

Another time, I joined a public roleplay. The rules were all what I agreed to, or so it seemed.
For a while, everything was going fine until I had my character do something they logically would- But it broke the posting order that I was never told about in the rule section.
I'd have never joined if I knew there was a posting order, since I think it breaks realism, but I also think it's not a good idea to have rules that aren't told to people.

Another time, I joined a public roleplay. The rules were all what I agreed to, or so it seemed.
For a while, everything was going fine until I had my character do something they logically would- But it broke the posting order that I was never told about in the rule section.
I'd have never joined if I knew there was a posting order, since I think it breaks realism, but I also think it's not a good idea to have rules that aren't told to people.
While I agree with you on the last bit. I hate to say that without a posting order for a group rp bigger than three people, it can become chaotic. I tried to participate in a large group rp and because it lacked a posting order, I couldn't keep up. Everyone just posted and by the time I was able to answer, Boop! another post or two. And they were paragraphs long.

While I agree with you on the last bit. I hate to say that without a posting order for a group rp bigger than three people, it can become chaotic. I tried to participate in a large group rp and because it lacked a posting order, I couldn't keep up. Everyone just posted and by the time I was able to answer, Boop! another post or two. And they were paragraphs long.
I can't blame you for your opinion, as that does tend to happen. Usually when things get hectic my my roleplays I employ the Three Minute Rule: Nobody is allowed to post until three minutes after the person who posts before them. Adjust time as needed.

I can't blame you for your opinion, as that does tend to happen. Usually when things get hectic my my roleplays I employ the Three Minute Rule: Nobody is allowed to post until three minutes after the person who posts before them. Adjust time as needed.
I like how you think.

Ho boy do I have an experience to share with you guys. Before I came here I held a single 1x1 RP over Skype, a friend from a forum I won't name because it's embarrassing.

Anyways, the RP started off pretty great tbh. Our characters met and had some great chemist, my introverted inventor, his brave ace pilot type, was good fun for a while... that was of course until I had my first brush against the notorious *flicks flashlight up towards her face* Gary Stu!

Now I should preface, I honestly didn't mind much having an op character in our RP. There was no real story, or flow, it was just 100% escapism, we were both kinda troubled people and it was just nice to come home at the end of the day and be a super cool action hero. There was almost some purity to our complete ignorance of RP etiquette and the basics of story writing. My issue came when I couldn't help but notice my involvement in our scenes began to diminish, drastically so. Slowly but surely his new character(whom I shall refer to as Gary because reasons) began to take over, situations appeared that "only he could stop!" My characters position started getting overlooked as Gary kept getting all the glory. It was annoying, but I soldiered on, as long as I got to be a hero at least half the time I had fun. But eventually even that stopped being the case. The last of my patience eroded during a scene where my character ended up bound and gagged, prepared for execution, when of course Gary swooped in to save the day!

The scene took HOURS! (Keep in mind, this was over Skype and posts were exchanged every 5 minutes or so). I literally had NOTHING to do. My char was bound the whole time with nothing to do but watch, it was the most frustrating thing ever. I eventually just devolved to typing "she watches", over and over out of pure frustration (sometimes I liked to shake things up, "she watches fearfully, she watches in awe, she watches apprehensively", I know, Shakespeare eat your heart out).

To this day just thinking back on that scene annoys me. I would have broken it off there but.. I was young and dumb, he was my only partner and I didn't know finding more play was just a Google away. Plus he was a good friend and I'm a huge pushover. At least he was the one who got me into RP, which lead me to find this site. So I can thank him for that.

Wow. These are some real horror stories. It's almost scary how similar many of them are, like the tales of an epidemic ravaging a population. Here, it's bad roleplayers and their bad roleplaying. Dismaying.

That said, it seems like most of these accounts are describing scenarios on other sites, which speaks well for the community here. I haven't been around for long, but it's good to get the impression that there are fewer bad apples here than out there.

Speaking of 'out there', I have a few histories I'd like to recount myself.

My very first roleplay was not an extremely professional one; I think everyone there was having their first go at RPing. It was a totally open-world RP set on an island; all of the characters were dinosaurs, who could all communicate with each other just because they could. It sounds crazy, but eventually, I had some pretty great times there. It also got me into roleplaying, which is pretty major. Any way, I joined this RP after a few pages, which, I think, was a few weeks of real life. Another new roleplayer joined about a day or so later, and there were more joining every couple of days afterwards. Any way, this new roleplayer and I kind of fell in together, having a great story without everyone else, because we were a) slightly excluded from the established characters, due to the establishment fearing new comers and our characters simply being in entirely different weight classes, and b) we were very active at around the same times. Any way, it was suggested after a week or two that the first five members of the roleplay should get 'God' characters, which were literally gods. The two of us noped right out of there at this elitism which we knew was going to ruin our plots. One roleplay down.

So, we took our characters, established a new setting, and established a roleplay which ended up outshining its progenitor by quite a few degrees, if I do say so myself. We had an incredible time, with incredibly complex plots, given how new we were to roleplaying. Our characters were not perfect, our story telling messed up a lot, and sometimes we incorporated things we didn't really need, but we almost always managed to survive. Almost always, because I eventually suggested having one, main villain. Bad idea. The roleplay had thrived because it was so open-ended, and having one major villain caused the entire thing to fall apart as the heroes had nothing to do but be crushed and the villain ended up being boring compared to previous villains. Another roleplay down, but not out, and this time due to my own stupidity.

In that time, the other roleplayer, who I shall henceforth refer to as my friend, created a medieval roleplay, as well. I got heavily invested, and ended up creating page upon page of lore for even the most minor characters. It was a tad obsessive. This roleplay also had a great plot, except it was actually well-constructed, and had it not been for the lack of participants, it would have been thriving. As we got engaged in this, we also came to the decision that it was time to end the roleplay from the paragraph above. We began moving towards a proper finale, moving pieces into the right places, killing off the key characters, having reunions and arc completions, redemptions and final vendettas... and then my friend disappeared. I haven't heard from them since, and without them, neither of those roleplays will ever become anything more, unfortunately. Very unfortunately. Two roleplays down and out.

So, as you might have guessed, this was a very small roleplaying section of a larger forum. There was no shortage of attempted roleplays, though. Most never got off the ground, and the ones that did usually had two or sometimes three people who held it together for a few posts. Imagine everyone's surprise when this island survival roleplay gets seven members almost immediately, all of whom begin posting frequently. It was a verifiable miracle. And wow, did I ever love the character I had created for it. However, my alarm bells should have begun ringing when the GM began railroading us into following the advice of their own character. Then again, I should have been concerned when the GM didn't allow anyone else to introduce obstacles to the plot whatsoever and had their character immediately fix any obstacles which other players tried to propose might exist. But, I was too engulfed in enjoying the miracle of this roleplay, and how active it was. Fast forward a few days, and the GM not only announces that the roleplay will be shut down, but then has a moderator delete the entire thread. I will never truly believe any explanation as to why they threw away this miracle, and then expected that everyone would be eager to join their roleplays again in the future. Any way, another roleplay down.

A few months after that, there was a fantasy roleplay that was introduced. There was nothing special about it, except that the creator had obviously put a lot of work into developing the world. I figured, why not join? And so I did. Quite a few others had the same idea, it seems, and the roleplay actually got pretty popular. A week later? Another fantasy roleplay suddenly opens up. It was just a little bit cleaner in the way it was displayed than the one from a week earlier, and sure enough, it split the time of the fantasy roleplayers, and the earlier one died, only for this second one to be shut down a month or two later as members dropped off and simply weren't replaced.

And then I ended up here. Sorry, this became more of a rant than anything coherent. I guess it shows how invested we can become in roleplays. There's something to be said about that.

I was in a roleplay where one guy always tried to make his character the strongest and most overpowered, a gary sue in other words. That was annoying, especially when he "deflected" one of my character's attacks, which was quite impossible to do so.

Oh, so like playing make believe with a six-year-old.

I got an experience from another forum. The idea was a block-ops styled RP, where a special forces group had to penetrate a city to take down a rebel cartel. It was in near future USA, so futuristic weps and stuff were allowed. We got to a point right after "making it into the city border" where we came to a stop near a gas station and an auto-repair workshop. Basically everyone was allowed to take only their weapons and stuff they'd like as help in the RP. The GM said "You shouldnt steal rebels guns or their equipment" OK I was fine with that. Problem was people didnt come up with very original weapons, so I was a sniper (had a sniper rifle's 2011 marines model), some had other current era weapons.
So one of our guys went into the gas station to get supplies, other went into the autoshop. Other were outside, cause GM stated "The area is clean". Then seemingly out of nowhere a clan of rebels came down the highway towards the autoshop. Bunch of 3 of us were behind the workshop corner. The guy inside the workshop wanted to start a car, cause the bunch of warriors was already nearing, and he thought driving down the wall and over them would help. GM stated that "The wall is too strong to penetrate". Well OK, then was just us 3 behind the corner. I decided to take an M14 grenade out of my bag to quickly eliminate the nearing bunch. GM in ooc was like "you know, you cant take weapons that you didnt state in your CS" I admit I didnt note it in my CS. 2 of us got shot cause they spotted us. Then the GM mellowed up and said that the workshop holds explosive, guy in it grabbed C4 and blew the whole freaking workshop up. Us 2 had to use only medkits we had together on the whole team.

So yeah my most fucked up story probably.

I got an experience from another forum. The idea was a block-ops styled RP, where a special forces group had to penetrate a city to take down a rebel cartel. It was in near future USA, so futuristic weps and stuff were allowed. We got to a point right after "making it into the city border" where we came to a stop near a gas station and an auto-repair workshop. Basically everyone was allowed to take only their weapons and stuff they'd like as help in the RP. The GM said "You shouldnt steal rebels guns or their equipment" OK I was fine with that. Problem was people didnt come up with very original weapons, so I was a sniper (had a sniper rifle's 2011 marines model), some had other current era weapons.
So one of our guys went into the gas station to get supplies, other went into the autoshop. Other were outside, cause GM stated "The area is clean". Then seemingly out of nowhere a clan of rebels came down the highway towards the autoshop. Bunch of 3 of us were behind the workshop corner. The guy inside the workshop wanted to start a car, cause the bunch of warriors was already nearing, and he thought driving down the wall and over them would help. GM stated that "The wall is too strong to penetrate". Well OK, then was just us 3 behind the corner. I decided to take an M14 grenade out of my bag to quickly eliminate the nearing bunch. GM in ooc was like "you know, you cant take weapons that you didnt state in your CS" I admit I didnt note it in my CS. 2 of us got shot cause they spotted us. Then the GM mellowed up and said that the workshop holds explosive, guy in it grabbed C4 and blew the whole freaking workshop up. Us 2 had to use only medkits we had together on the whole team.

So yeah my most fucked up story probably.

Sounds like the GM backed you into a corner, then had to redesign the scenario to make an escape route.

In DND there's this person that literally made me hate the Chaotic Neutral Alignment so god damn much.

So he would do annoying shit in a lot of campaigns and I'll tell you one of the few things he did that annoyed the literal shit out of me.

So in this one campaign I was playing as a human fighter that was CG and basically my character helped push the plot in the sense that he was a run away from the military family. Now, the families name I can't remember but like my character hated and cared about his family so when most of the Greek family tree died out he was forced to hire some sailors to take him and his comrades to the Island that the Roman part of the family was on. Now we find out these sailors are pirates that do terrible shit to innocent people and I as someone with good alignment decided to formulate a plan to kill them and discussed it with the paladin in our group. As we formulate a plan the pirates see a ship full of innocent people and decided to attack, want to know what our CN player did? He /fucking/ joined them and it took me getting angry IC and OOC to intimidate him into helping us kill the damn Pirates. He claimed he thought the other ship was full of pirates and it was true but it annoyed me even more that he wasn't listening to the DM.

This girl like randomly PMed me and used the worst grammar. I asked her being nice what rp she was interested in and she says " Relationship" and I was kind of sitting there like Hold up I'm not going to even mess with that..
So we started roleplaying after a minute and she picked my name and shiz.. and I couldn't do it. I just sort of ignored her cause she tried to bring up something mature and I KNEW that was against the rules. I haven't spoken to her since. I was so frustrated. Not to mention she was a HORRIBLE roleplayer, kind of like the ones who use "U" instead of "you."
Bang
my
head
into
keyboard

I've got two.

The first was on a different Roleplaying Site. My first one, actually. Speaking of firsts, this was the first Rp that I started, and managed to get off the ground. The basic storyline was that The Nex, who were superpowered beings that had been imprisoned by The Vitae (A government designed to deal with potentially dangerous Nex) had been broken out of the high-security prison that housed them, and were now roaming the streets. If you want to see a full description, you can find it here-

Titan's Rise

Anyway, I'd tried to push this idea that there was no bad guy here, that The Vex were ultra-powerfull, and had a history of violence, which scared the normal people. But everyone took this as "Make the Nex evil and The Vitae eviler."
People were killing each other without a second thought, killing Nex like they were absolute pushovers, stuff like that.
Everyone was either insanely nice or profoundly bloodthirsty, which was the opposite of what I was going for. Only like two other people tried to do the moral grey thing, which sucked.
Also, I didn't really have a plan on where the story was going and wanted to let everyone else find new stories with their characters among themselves, but no one wanted to do that and my Rp died soon after.

The other one was with a friend of mine in a real-life D&D scenario, who'd had the idea of mashing orcs and elves and goblins and things like that with high-tech stuff, and putting us in the shoes of criminals trying to get by.
Which could've been cool, but he made things like a prison that had keypad-opened doors and security cameras, but the guards dressed in Roman-esque armor and carried tasers, but no guns And
the getaway car that we used was an old-fashioned steam-powered one. Just stuff that looked wacky and out of place in a lot of ways.

considering when i first began roleplaying, i only did one-liners, i can't really say any of my experiences from back then were bad, because to be honest i was just as bad. but probably my worst experience from there was a roleplay on kik (god who roleplays on kik, jesus christ). i had recently started talking to this friend that was from my very first roleplaying site. but it had probably been a good six or seven years since i'd last spoke to them / roleplayed with them. obviously during that time i'd improved and moved as far away as possible from one-liners, cringing at the memories as i went. so i suggested a roleplay to the friend and we actually managed to come up with a semi-decent plot. bUT OOOH LORDY. it was like they hadn't changed remotely in over half a decade. they used, like, text speak instead of actual words and whilst i was writing paragraphs, i literally only got words in return. the responses i got were so short i'm not sure they'd even be able to be classified as sentences. i got responses like 'he shot at her' or "'k, bye"'. never again.

considering when i first began roleplaying, i only did one-liners, i can't really say any of my experiences from back then were bad, because to be honest i was just as bad. but probably my worst experience from there was a roleplay on kik (god who roleplays on kik, jesus christ). i had recently started talking to this friend that was from my very first roleplaying site. but it had probably been a good six or seven years since i'd last spoke to them / roleplayed with them. obviously during that time i'd improved and moved as far away as possible from one-liners, cringing at the memories as i went. so i suggested a roleplay to the friend and we actually managed to come up with a semi-decent plot. bUT OOOH LORDY. it was like they hadn't changed remotely in over half a decade. they used, like, text speak instead of actual words and whilst i was writing paragraphs, i literally only got words in return. the responses i got were so short i'm not sure they'd even be able to be classified as sentences. i got responses like 'he shot at her' or "'k, bye"'. never again.
Ah Yes.. good ol Kik roleplaying days. I actually met my now best friend over that stupid app. I remember when my roleplay responses were like
*looks at dog*

Ah Yes.. good ol Kik roleplaying days. I actually met my now best friend over that stupid app. I remember when my roleplay responses were like
*looks at dog*
it was so painful
aish, don't even get me started on the script-mode roleplaying

it was so painful
aish, don't even get me started on the script-mode roleplaying
The thought is making me cringe to the extreme. I went through several phases of it,
The first one was:
*looks at u*
then it advanced slowly to:
*looks at you*
*Looks at you*
*She looked at you*
*She looked at you with a smile*
And now it is:
She looked at you with a coy smile.

Oh dear.. I mean, it was a good learning method, also a good starting point to blossom into a master.

The thought is making me cringe to the extreme. I went through several phases of it,
The first one was:
*looks at u*
then it advanced slowly to:
*looks at you*
*Looks at you*
*She looked at you*
*She looked at you with a smile*
And now it is:
She looked at you with a coy smile.

Oh dear.. I mean, it was a good learning method, also a good starting point to blossom into a master.
everyone's gotta start from somewhere, right? building the foundations and proceeding from there, i guess. but it still hurts to remember it all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back