Experiences What is the Most Frustrating RP you have ever been apart of?

One time I remember one of my internet buddies and I were roleplaying something to do with horror and I got super frustrated because I was typing up to 3 paragraph responses while hers were only four to five words long. I didn't tell her I was angry though because we were trying to have fun, the rp ended up dying because we lost interest after about 8 straight hours of it.

I've been in multiple roleplays where my character has been considered overpowered... because the GM didn't think their own character through as well as I did. >.>

But generally the most frustrating RPs I've been in are the ones where there's a six hundred word minimum for each post. It just sucks all the fun out to be paranoid about writing enough in every post. It's like purple prose is a requirement.

Never,

and I mean,

NEVER,

roleplay with an 11 year old who uses Naruto as his face claim and asks way too many questions.

god damn i hated that kid

I was in a fandom roleplay once where there this was one player who pretty much thought they didn't have to follow any of the rules.

Example A - everyone else is writing in third person , they say ooh i only write in first person

Example B - everyone else is writing at least two paragraphs - they write a few lines of text 80% of which is just copy pasted dialogue from other people in rainbow colors

Example C - say we forbid a specific character from being in the roleplay -- well guess what that person wants to know if they can play that person.

It was just on and on until I"m like...ya know what fuck you.

I was once in a mermaid roleplay that was actually going really really well for a few weeks until there was a new character submitted and she basically turned the entire roleplay into a competition to who can be the most overpowered and edgy. It was like her bad character was contagious. Soon enough nearly every person was making a new character just so that they could match her. This also caused the character mine was interacting with to be abandoned, basically sticking my character in the middle of a conversation that would never progress.

I rather hate posting requirements, because then I makes me add fluff to a post which is one thing I hate doing. If a post doesn't require me to write 300 or 600 words in response then why would I????? I know they exist because people want to avoid one liners, but it does make the experience much more stressful.

I have to say the most frustrating one I was a part of was a pirate Rp I once did. The frustrating part was this one character that had to be the most powerful. At everything. It got annoying when your own character is literally forced into being a damsel in distress.

I was in a roleplay where one guy always tried to make his character the strongest and most overpowered, a gary sue in other words. That was annoying, especially when he "deflected" one of my character's attacks, which was quite impossible to do so.

Last edited:
I have to say the most frustrating one I was a part of was a pirate Rp I once did. The frustrating part was this one character that had to be the most powerful. At everything. It got annoying when your own character is literally forced into being a damsel in distress.
Damn, I would have murdered the bitch

I was in a roleplay where one guy always tried to make his characterthe strongest and most overpowered, a gary sue in other words. That was annoying, especially when he "deflected" one of my character's attacks, which was quite impossible to do so.
I don't understand how people get enjoyment in a RP of being so freakishly overpowered compared to everyone else

I only like to do it when I get to fight multiple people at once rather than just one, y'know, so it is a fair fight?
Yeah, that seems more understandable because your character could easily have an adrenaline rush so they can overcome many other people. But when it's one on one, it's annoying and gets old because eventually you have no other choice but to give in to them.

I don't understand how people get enjoyment in a RP of being so freakishly overpowered compared to everyone else

I think it's most often a mix of

A. The player is super competitive or insecure and has a need to be the best most well liked most xxx person in the group. It's mostly an ego thing and they might not even be consciously aware of it.

B. They do not understand exactly how Roleplays work. I see a lot of people compare them to things like books or video games. And if you think about it both of those mediums usually do have one character that is better/more important than the others ( protagonist in books ) or the goal is in fact to be the best and defeat the rest so to speak ( video games )

So in this case it's just lack of understanding that a roleplay has to be fun for everyone and there is not meant to actually be just one specfific person that is a focal point

Mine was a painful 1x1 romance, a bad-guy good-girl type of thing. Thing is, as I was writing the dude I slowly got saddled with more and more of the plot responsibility, essentially dragging the inert female character around like a piece of luggage. She did everything my character asked, and had no opinions on any of it. My character was meant to be falling in love with her, but since she was more or less a statue I found it hard to even imagine why he would.

At the same time, this was a 'detailed' RP so the posts were quite long. So my posts would be a few paragraphs of plot motion, actions, a little reflection. Hers would be several paragraphs of solid internal monologue, followed by a single bland phrase of dialogue. Something like: "Okay," she said.

The absolute pinnacle was when I had to read like 8 paragraphs where her character stood and stared blankly at mine, while recalling her entire life story. At the end of that her character nodded. That was it. Eight paragraphs for a nod.

Yeah, I just kind of blinked at the screen in silence, closed the browser and went outside. This was also the end for me playing MxF romance (shudder).

Last edited:
Never, and I mean, NEVER, roleplay with an 11 year old who uses Naruto as his face claim and asks way too many questions.

Most frustrating was when I once came across an underage user (twelve, not thirteen). It was just undue stress, because I had to report them (and I did) once they told me their age. I take rules very seriously. Especially when the site I was on could have received a lot of backlash for having an underage user. They were only a couple of months from turning of age to use the site though, which meant they didn't have to wait that long.

One of the most frustrating roleplays I have ever been a part of is where, my partner replied with something that didn't give me anything to work off of. I'm fine with roleplaying one liner-short paragraphed roleplays, but if all they reply with is "He walked over to the chair and sat down" or something similar, how am I gonna reply? Like they have to take lead sometimes too :ghostxnx:

That's a major concern for me, so I always try to give the other person something to respond with. I ask my partners to tell me if they ever don't have enough (I would prefer to be told). I prefer clear communication with my partners - with people in general, so I don't discourage people being open with me.

Mine was a painful 1x1 romance, a bad-guy good-girl type of thing. Thing is, as I was writing the dude I slowly got saddled with more and more of the plot responsibility, essentially dragging the inert female character around like a piece of luggage. She did everything my character asked, and had no opinions on any of it. My character was meant to be falling in love with her, but since she was essentially a statue I found it hard to even imagine why my guy would care.

At the same time, this was a 'detailed' RP in the sense that the posts were quite long. So my posts would be a few paragraphs of plot motion, actions, a little reflection. Hers would be several paragraphs of solid internal monologue, followed by a single bland phrase of dialogue. Something like: "okay," she said.

The absolute pinnacle was when I had to read like 8 paragraphs where her character stood and stared blankly at mine while thinking about her entire life story. At the end of that her character nodded. That was it. 8 paragraphs for a nod.

Yeah, I just kind of blinked in silence, closed the browser and went outside. This was also the end for me playing MxF romance (shudder).
Damn, I would have too

I'd have to say the most annoyed I ever was on an RP, was one on another site.
I don't remember the main plot of the RP, as it was a few years ago that I last posted on it. But what I do remember is that it was a 'public' RP, and the longest running one on the site. I wasn't one of the first people to join, as I actually joined about mid-way through the RP, however, due to the fact that I was one of the three people who posted regularly, the creator of the RP trusted me with managing it while they were away on vacation.

Now to the annoying part. About two days after they went on vacation, I received an email from them stating that they were putting me in charge permanently, as they wouldn't have enough time to get on after vacation, due to school/work. Now, that's not that annoying, as it happens. But the annoying part, was shortly after the two of us made the announcement, people began leaving the RP. It wasn't that the original owner left, but because a small group of RPers took over the RP, despite the owner of the RP saying everything was up to me. They turned it into an endless macho-match with all of their characters being Gary Stues and Mary Sues.

I found out a bit later, that they had tried doing the same thing to the RP before. Not once or twice, but every time the creator went on vacation, which since the RPs start, was about 6 or 7 times. This time however, they weren't taking "No" for an answer. The RP died because of them after only 2 weeks.

An RP that was almost 10 years old, died because 5 of the 56 people in the RP, didn't like that they weren't allowed to have unbeatable gods as characters.

The worst one I was ever a part of was probably this super bizarre one on my old community. It was a 1x1 with someone who considered me a friend nearly immediately. I'd had previous normal Rps with her, but she seemed a bit weird.

One day, I got a notif that she had placed me in a 1x1 RP without asking me. As i was younger, I thought i should maybe try. It started off very normal, but then someone else joined the rp, a "friend ooc" that served as her character's father. Needless to say, the father's character just literally tortured her, and it was incredibly uncomfortable and disturbing.

I told her ooc that this was not ok and that i was leaving, but then she said she was betraying her friendship. And as it turned out, she had used both accounts herself, and there was no friend ooc. But literally the RP was just her being chained in a chair and locked in a basement by her own father. We never talked again after that.

Mine was a painful 1x1 romance, a bad-guy good-girl type of thing. Thing is, as I was writing the dude I slowly got saddled with more and more of the plot responsibility, essentially dragging the inert female character around like a piece of luggage. She did everything my character asked, and had no opinions on any of it. My character was meant to be falling in love with her, but since she was essentially a statue I found it hard to even imagine why my guy would care.

At the same time, this was a 'detailed' RP in the sense that the posts were quite long. So my posts would be a few paragraphs of plot motion, actions, a little reflection. Hers would be several paragraphs of solid internal monologue, followed by a single bland phrase of dialogue. Something like: "okay," she said.

The absolute pinnacle was when I had to read like 8 paragraphs where her character stood and stared blankly at mine while thinking about her entire life story. At the end of that her character nodded. That was it. 8 paragraphs for a nod.

Yeah, I just kind of blinked in silence, closed the browser and went outside. This was also the end for me playing MxF romance (shudder).

Okay but this is literally my worst nightmare??? The thought of being on either end makes me so anxious. Did you try talking to her about it, and if so, how did that go?

The worst one I was ever a part of was probably this super bizarre one on my old community. It was a 1x1 with someone who considered me a friend nearly immediately. I'd had previous normal Rps with her, but she seemed a bit weird.

One day, I got a notif that she had placed me in a 1x1 RP without asking me. As i was younger, I thought i should maybe try. It started off very normal, but then someone else joined the rp, a "friend ooc" that served as her character's father. Needless to say, the father's character just literally tortured her, and it was incredibly uncomfortable and disturbing.

I told her ooc that this was not ok and that i was leaving, but then she said she was betraying her friendship. And as it turned out, she had used both accounts herself, and there was no friend ooc. But literally the RP was just her being chained in a chair and locked in a basement by her own father. We never talked again after that.

Well that certainly is a strange experience to have...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back