Viewpoint What fandoms do you miss, or what are some you can't find partners for?

Pretty much all of my fandoms are obscure to the point that I can't really find partners for them, but I think the one that's older and I miss the most is Keroro Gunso (aka Sgt. Frog). It's a comedy anime that aired from 2004 through 2011, so it's been over for twelve years now... It used to have at least a small but reasonably active fandom, but it's been mostly crickets for years. 😩

(I'm also super into the idea of Keroro crossovers with Eyeshield 21, Ouran High School Host Club, and Transformers Animated -- and a crossover between Eyeshield 21 and Ouran -- but basically no one plays from those anymore either, and I think the few who do aren't looking for crossovers, LOL. So there's also that!)

I wouldn't say it's dead, at least the source material isn't by a long shot. I have noticed that folks wanting to roleplay Star Wars (most any period) have gone silent as of recently though. Towards the end of 2022 and even earlier this year it wasn't hard to find rp ads in the 1x1s, plus a group prompt would pop up almost regularly. Now however I guess the interest for the universe has either stalled or dried up all together. If it's the latter that'd be a shame, considering most any character and setting can easily be tweaked to fit the universe. You could also cook up a whole lot of original creations for roleplays, be it planets, factions, ships, ect. Honestly I found that to be the best part of roleplaying the topic.

honestly, crossovers and multifandoms. it's always been one of my favorite things to mess around with, but every day i see them less and less. it's not even just "x canon character meets y canon character in y's canon setting," but crossovers of genres as well. i see more original crossover plots than i do fandom crossover plots, but they still aren't very common.
if i were to pick a specific fandom though, probably stargate lmao. i don't think it's ever had a rp community, but boy did i enjoy watching it and sharing it with my friends who had never seen it

Macross
Mobile Suit Gundam (UC OYW era)
Space Above and Beyond
Warhammer Fantasy (not AoS)
Dominion Tank Police
Venus Wars
Megaman X

I wouldn't say it's dead, at least the source material isn't by a long shot. I have noticed that folks wanting to roleplay Star Wars (most any period) have gone silent as of recently though. Towards the end of 2022 and even earlier this year it wasn't hard to find rp ads in the 1x1s, plus a group prompt would pop up almost regularly. Now however I guess the interest for the universe has either stalled or dried up all together. If it's the latter that'd be a shame, considering most any character and setting can easily be tweaked to fit the universe. You could also cook up a whole lot of original creations for roleplays, be it planets, factions, ships, ect. Honestly I found that to be the best part of roleplaying the topic.
my problem with all the Star Wars stuff that would pop up on RPN, was that they seemed to always be set in Clone Wars era or more recent. And I was always looking for older eras (Old Republic). And the couple of times that I launched a group req for such a setting, I got zero serious interest. I mean, yeah, there are always those people who chide in with interest. But then that's the last they contribute to actually participating. So that hardly counts. Naturally, I stopped looking for Star Wars stuff. There is a bit more going on with that on Discord. But, y'know... it's Discord, so that has it's own set of issues for me.

my problem with all the Star Wars stuff that would pop up on RPN, was that they seemed to always be set in Clone Wars era or more recent. And I was always looking for older eras (Old Republic). And the couple of times that I launched a group req for such a setting, I got zero serious interest. I mean, yeah, there are always those people who chide in with interest. But then that's the last they contribute to actually participating. So that hardly counts. Naturally, I stopped looking for Star Wars stuff. There is a bit more going on with that on Discord. But, y'know... it's Discord, so that has it's own set of issues for me.
Old Republic seems like the perfect era for roleplay. There are numerous expansive factions, the tone is very much more space opera than other periods, and it seems that every gov/organization are at their peak strength. The only unfortunate issue with garnering interest for the era is that few actually are familiar with it. Even worse is that learning about the era requires one to have played a game that originally came out on disk! Playing the Old Republic rpg is still possible today sure, but at the end of the day I can’t think of anyone willing to play through such an expansive game simply to rp it. I think that’s why most rps center around the times of the films or clone wars, as people would have grown up on that.

Old Republic seems like the perfect era for roleplay. There are numerous expansive factions, the tone is very much more space opera than other periods, and it seems that every gov/organization are at their peak strength. The only unfortunate issue with garnering interest for the era is that few actually are familiar with it. Even worse is that learning about the era requires one to have played a game that originally came out on disk! Playing the Old Republic rpg is still possible today sure, but at the end of the day I can’t think of anyone willing to play through such an expansive game simply to rp it. I think that’s why most rps center around the times of the films or clone wars, as people would have grown up on that.
there is literally an entire MMO that is set in Old Republic Era, though. I'm not saying that the OR is limited to just that setting. But it is definitely a current avenue of understanding the gist of the setting.

Honestly- I miss the weird yet fun cringe of creepypasta roleplays, which no longer are around from what I've seen though that is to be expected since they've long passed their time of Internet interest, but it is still sad. I would really, really like to see interest in them again since they're fun if ya separate the characters from their 'origin' stories and take them as face value; doing your own spin on things with no harm towards the original source material. Doesn't help that I like horror and that isn't a common 1x1 thing, which is the only thing I can do.

I've a bunch of Fandoms I rarely see, especially these days but as much as I'd love to run them, I'm a hardcore ADHD procrastinator. I always think about the greater universe, what could I do within the verse.

Video Games

Titanfall
Resistance
Eve Online (Dust 514)
Titanfall
Halo
Killzone
Destiny
Doom
Dead Space
Brink
XCOM
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Hardspace: Shipbreaker
The Order: 1886
Horizon: Zero Dawn
For Honor
Battlefield: Hardline
Elder Scrolls
Gears of War
Books/Comics

Judge Dredd
Starship Troopers
The Expanse
The Division
Lord of the Rings
Dune
Conan
RPGs

Vampire: The Masquerade
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Magic: The Gathering
Film/Television

Man of Steel
Chronicles of Riddick (but only Necromongers)
Star Wars
Alien
Alien Vs Predator
Dinotopia
Children of Men
Terra Nova (The post-apocalypse timetravel one)

Some of these're probably in the wrong category. It is what it is.​

To add one... It's not a fandom I miss per se because I just got into it, and I'm not sure it ever had much of a fandom to speak of, but Mummies Alive! It was a cartoon that only aired for one season in 1997, it's got really strong Late 80s/Early 90s Saturday Morning Cartoon energy, and it's dated as hell and somehow both not very good and better than it has any right to be. I wish it would get some kind of spin-off or reboot or movie adaptation or something, just to get a little more attention on it (and maybe update some of its weaker points).

And I really wish I could find people into RPing from it, but in the meantime, fanfic I guess!

RWBY. It was really popular in the mid-to-late 2010s, but it's mostly petered out of existence by now.

Magic: The Gathering

I've tried making / running a few MTG RPs in the past, though I tend to add some bells and whistles like the RP involving making the actual cards representing it in a set format, or doing it through a D&D format (trying to anyways, I don't think any of those kicked off).

Touhou is super hard to find partners for. Whilst it is popular in eastern culture, not as much in western. Especially in a fellow niche like roleplaying. To make it even harder, I'd like to find a crossover roleplay between it and dragon ball.

FFXV is so very near and dear.

But I'm always late to the party and then every time I do find happen to find someone, something happens irl and then I stop for a long while and then my anxious brain freaks and does it's thing and it's back to square 1. 😔

Any of the Atelier or Ar Tonelico series. And when they do exist... They're extremely low effort and plotless. :ghostxnx:

Any of the Atelier or Ar Tonelico series. And when they do exist... They're extremely low effort and plotless. :ghostxnx:

I just found out the other day there's other Atelier besides Atelier Ryza (anime only I'm afraid, though I did spot the game on steam). Definitely seems like an interesting fandom/setting, though the depths of my knowledge about it's lore are two anime episodes and an Azur Lane crossover event. I don't think our interests as RPers are aligned at all, but if a chat would always be welcome if you'd like :)

Man, opening this thread and seeing Kill la Kill on the first pages was a whiplash. Spent more than a year in that RP fandom on Tumblr back in the day, miss that time so much :( And now indeed it became almost non-existent.

Good Sailor Moon stuff also proved to be rather rare, at least in my experience...

(Come to think of it I've struggled to find RPs for most of my fandoms at one point or another, so I don't know if it's skill issue or if I'm just severely out of touch)

Thinking about this thread again, a fandom I really miss is the AvP franchise.

It's been a long, long time since I've seen an RP about either the Pred, Alien, or both together.

I miss the Pred, specifically. The old games were always a lot of fun. My favorite's probably Predator: Concrete Jungle. I think that game's a bit underrated. A few areas of the game lack imagination, and the mechanics of the later third of the game are a bit wonky. But I still love it.

Rest in peace, AvP universe.

This isn't per say a fandom nor anything anyone has probably missed before- But I really, really wanna see the game DRAMAtical Murder again. It wasn't anything widespread in the roleplay sphere, but I would give my entire being to find someone to do an epilogue/side-story off the main routes in the game.

Also I realized I did a post on here already- Sorry ;w;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back