Viewpoint What fandoms do you miss, or what are some you can't find partners for?

I hope at least some of y’all were/are able to find someone to write all of these fandoms with 😭
Well, between this topic and the "Obscure fandoms you'd like to RP" topic (because they are essentially the same thing)...

... I've stated that I've been looking for Judge Dredd, Mad Max, Fallout, Warhammer 40k, Star Wars, Conan the Barbarian, and Terminator fandoms. All of these with specific caveats. To begin with, I'm really only interested in these ideas as roleplay Groups, not 1x1.

Judge Dredd: No canon characters. Something with the Cursed Earth and muties, and not necessarily with the players all being Judges

Mad Max: Rping in the world, but not with canon characters

Fallout: Just something that isn't a nationbuilder or with hard set roles for the players (I just really wanna RP as a Raider)

Warhammer 40k: Pretty much I'm only interested in a setting having to do with the Inquisition,or as Orks.
And definitely NOT something with Guard or Astartes as the central faction/army focus.​

Star Wars: Old Republic, and more about smugglers pirates and criminals than the jedi/sith thing

Conan the Barbarian: Just like the Mad Max thing, roleplaying in the setting but only as OCs.

Terminator: RPing in a future setting like in Salvation, where it's the ruined future and you are fighting skynet as survivors after the global attack.

Guess how many of them I have found and successfully started into since I first posted up on the topic.

zero.

Not a fandom but it seems Sci-Fi is harder to find players for these days.
It's never been the most popular to be honest. And here on RPN, it's the least requested genre for sure. Doesn't help that the few GMs who put out ads for Sci-fi RPs seem to just kinda disappear after they start getting people interested in their request.

I'm genuinely surprised by the lack of Cyberpunk RPs (Fandom and just the setting in general). It just feels like so many interesting stories can be told in that setting and yet it doesn't seem to have much traction at all.

It's never been the most popular to be honest. And here on RPN, it's the least requested genre for sure. Doesn't help that the few GMs who put out ads for Sci-fi RPs seem to just kinda disappear after they start getting people interested in their request.
Literally every group RP I have ever joined on this site has died after a few posts and that's assuming they even get started. Most of them just die before even starting.

I'm genuinely surprised by the lack of Cyberpunk RPs (Fandom and just the setting in general). It just feels like so many interesting stories can be told in that setting and yet it doesn't seem to have much traction at all.
there have actually been quite a few cyberpunk RPs started up recently. I figure it has a lot to do with the cyberpunk 2077 game and recent tv series and such. cyberpunk genre has actually seen a rise in popularity lately. But as Jannah Jannah put it:
Literally every group RP I have ever joined on this site has died after a few posts and that's assuming they even get started. Most of them just die before even starting.
And this is no exaggeration. I can attest to the same experience every time I've gotten myself into someone's group RP. I go through all the effort of making a character and intro post, and then it's either no replies, or s very quick stall out. And trying to start up my own groups hasn't proffered any better results. I can never get enough interested parties to even attempt a start. I give a week or two, and the interest just isn't there.

there have actually been quite a few cyberpunk RPs started up recently. I figure it has a lot to do with the cyberpunk 2077 game and recent tv series and such. cyberpunk genre has actually seen a rise in popularity lately.
And yet finding somebody who actually wants to play the TTRPG is impossible.

And this is no exaggeration. I can attest to the same experience every time I've gotten myself into someone's group RP. I go through all the effort of making a character and intro post, and then it's either no replies, or s very quick stall out. And trying to start up my own groups hasn't proffered any better results. I can never get enough interested parties to even attempt a start. I give a week or two, and the interest just isn't there.
Some of the group RP's I've attempted to join have been quite popular too, yet they still die before barely starting. This is one reason why I mostly stick to 1x1's. Yes, ghosting happens there too, but the chances of getting an actual RP off the ground are more likely.

And yet finding somebody who actually wants to play the TTRPG is impossible.
Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about TTRPGs. I have various manuals from old games in the 90s. D&D, Warhammer, WH40K, VtM, Gurps, and... some other more obscure ones I can't remember off the top of my head. But i just liked reading stuff for lore, and never got into any actual game from any of them.

Some of the group RP's I've attempted to join have been quite popular too, yet they still die before barely starting. This is one reason why I mostly stick to 1x1's. Yes, ghosting happens there too, but the chances of getting an actual RP off the ground are more likely.
To date, I've tried to join AT LEAST 5 or 6 Star Wars group RPs here, and none of them have gotten anywhere worth mentioning. And Star Wars is immensely popular.

Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about TTRPGs. I have various manuals from old games in the 90s. D&D, Warhammer, WH40K, VtM, Gurps, and... some other more obscure ones I can't remember off the top of my head. But i just liked reading stuff for lore, and never got into any actual game from any of them.
Well, if you ever want to try getting into them... I actually can't help you. None of my GM friends have time for another game and trust me you do not want me GMing a TTRPG.

Well, if you ever want to try getting into them... I actually can't help you. None of my GM friends have time for another game and trust me you do not want me GMing a TTRPG.
nah, I have no interest in stats and numbers in my roleplays. I'm a freeform gal all the way. so no worries

Muv-luv. I do not want the romance (it was forced so the series would sell copies), but there is none of it to have regardless.

Thank you for taking the time to link that! Unfortunately, it seems like everyone is just obsessing over Eddie Munson. 🤣
Is that the D&D guy with the big hair? I feel like it's his character's fault for making battle vests suddenly trendy online. lol
Though, maybe I should be thankful for that because it is now a bit easier to find band patches.

Is that the D&D guy with the big hair? I feel like it's his character's fault for making battle vests suddenly trendy online. lol
Though, maybe I should be thankful for that because it is now a bit easier to find band patches.
That is the one! Maybe it is..don't get me wrong, he's a great character, but he does tend to take away from the canon characters tremendously. I normally write on Twitter and there are more of his character than anyone else. 🤦‍♀️

That is the one! Maybe it is..don't get me wrong, he's a great character, but he does tend to take away from the canon characters tremendously. I normally write on Twitter and there are more of his character than anyone else. 🤦‍♀️
You would think that people would write the character's that have been there for the whole series, more so than the guy who is only in the latest one. But... I'm not much for canon-character writing, so my opinions on those things shouldn't be given a lot of weight.

You would think that people would write the character's that have been there for the whole series, more so than the guy who is only in the latest one. But... I'm not much for canon-character writing, so my opinions on those things shouldn't be given a lot of weight.
Right?! I'm for both canon and oc tbh. It's just tough when you ship two canon characters that aren't realistically a ship on the show, so the only way for you to see the romance play out is by writing it. If that makes sense.

Right?! I'm for both canon and oc tbh. It's just tough when you ship two canon characters that aren't realistically a ship on the show, so the only way for you to see the romance play out is by writing it. If that makes sense.
I thought that was what people typically did when they do fandom pairings: write characters from said series in situations that aren't otherwise canon in the series. But again, I'm a stranger to this corner of roleplay.

I thought that was what people typically did when they do fandom pairings: write characters from said series in situations that aren't otherwise canon in the series. But again, I'm a stranger to this corner of roleplay.
Sometimes they like to write canon ships and other times, if the ship they adore aren't a fictional pairing then they will make it so with their own writing. What do you normally roleplay?

Well to be fair that  is mostly the draw lol. Either characters who end up in tragedy thrown into an "everything is fine" AU or write characters who are fine in angst. Exploring the relationships between the canon characters, however that may be, is appealing bc you already have a set personality and history to work with.

Sometimes they like to write canon ships and other times, if the ship they adore aren't a fictional pairing then they will make it so with their own writing. What do you normally roleplay?
Well, for starters, I mostly do groups. Not really a 1x1 RPer. I tend to also look for original settings. BUT, I do have some fandoms I enjoy.
I've blabbed about that in spades already, so I'll just link you over to the last time I was bitching about not being able to find them. lmao.

I'm also trying to get this group RP off the ground. But tbh, it doesn't seem to be picking up the steam I was hoping for. Gonna give it a couple more days before deciding to pull the plug or not.

Well to be fair that  is mostly the draw lol. Either characters who end up in tragedy thrown into an "everything is fine" AU or write characters who are fine in angst. Exploring the relationships between the canon characters, however that may be, is appealing bc you already have a set personality and history to work with.

The reason i stay away from RPing as a canonical character is exactly those reasons, actually. I have the same view with video games. I'm much more into games where you create your own character, and I'm less inclined to play games with a preset protagonist. I'm big on worldbuilding and character building. So that part of the RP is half of the fun, to me. But I WILL admit that playing in a canonical universe definitely saves time in having to write up your own setting from scratch.

Fairytail, I find it difficult to locate anyone rping as Fairy Tail, even the OC's.
This is also the same for Buffy Fandoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back