Viewpoint What do your characters have in common?

baggysack

owner of the bag
Anotha one.

Looking back at the past characters you've played, what do they have in common? Demographically; in regards to personality, backstory; how they're written; anything. And how much of this on purpose versus how much of it surprises you?

I like this question!

I noticed a frequent pattern in my characters' backstories: many of them are deeply flawed individuals who mean well, but have committed some sort of abhorrent crime in the past that continues to haunt them. Many of them are looking for some kind of redemption, but who they are repeatedly keeps their goals at arm's reach. Also, they're 99.9% dudes.

All of my characters have been taken out of their comfort place/stance and thrown into a situation that kickstarted the plot if the rp. Either abduction, having to flee their homeplace, etc.

My characters are often overly freaky, weird, or intimidating appearance-wise when the setting allows for it.

guyliner, being a loner or in a small friend circle of other non-popular types, pessimism and a love of music.

I unintentionally gave a lot of mine poor familial relationships. Like a lot of them have at least one absent or dead parent, or just feel generally rejected by their family. I never really mean to do this but i feel like I tend to do it so much because I also don’t have the best in terms of relationships with my blood relatives and I’m better at writing something I’ve experienced. Trying to break that pattern lately.

The only thing my character have in common is that most have a very boring and standard backstory. But that's mostly because I can't write an interesting backstory to save my life.

Other than that I specifally try to keep my characters as different to each other as possible.

I used to do this as a teen, and I know at least one person in my old circle who did it too, where my characters were often a reflection of how I perceived myself. Not self-inserts, but mine were typically impressionable newbies with low aspirations and massive egos/no self-awareness who were always in their heads - angst, angst, angst-ing. Now I think my characters are way less connected to me, way more vicarious. We'll see what happens! I only really have one active character right now,, thinking about it...

I do still have a soft spot for younger characters, like under 25. I don't really know what adults are about. Mortgage? Worst metabolism?

Lots of commonality in backstory so far, pretty interesting, I also hate writing backstories, Blackguard, but I feel like I always over-blow mine.

Interesting question! I haven't really taken a look back at some of my characters in a while, so some of mine might be a little vague. Apologies in advance.

- In contrast to a few people I've seen, I tend to dislike writing a character that's basically a stand-in for me. I tried, a few times, but I always wanted them to be able to do things I wouldn't not as me, but as themselves. So my stand-in for a fanfiction ended up getting fleshed out into a delinquent with anger issues, I got rid of my old god-like character because he was too overpowered and I felt unfair, and avoid using my personal avatar in stories.

- If it's a dark, sullen character I have, always expect them to have a bright, happy and fun NPC friend. Same thing if I have a bright and happy character. They are always going to have an exasperated, eye-rolling friend who puts up with them. What can I say-- I love when opposites attract.

- If I have a delinquent type character and they're legal, always assume they smoke because they probably do. I hate the stuff personally, so this is an oddity for me too. BONUS: An NPC of mine will always snatch the cigarette/cigar/pipe out of their mouth and tell them to not do that.

- If I'm given the chance to, I will usually play a character that's not completely humanoid. If I'm allowed to be a robot, I'll play a mecha-type. If I'm allowed to be a monster then hell yeah, I'll play one.

- All of my characters must always have a flashback to a time before the start of the RP, whether it be my RP or someone else's.

Oh, and my favorite.

- If I have a depressed or generally sullen and exhausted character, they will always be wearing a wrinkled white dress shirt, black slacks, and go barefoot.

Sorry if this came off as more comedic than anything, but these are some stuff I've noticed about my own RP characters and posting over the years. I've been trying to break away from some of my personal tropes, but old habits die hard. 😅

Mostly intentionally.

Most of my standard or support characters are a woman on this site.
Most of them have normal lives but some go beyond that if the story demands it or I'm trying to depict something.
Most of my characters are at least 5'6 and most in realism settings at 6'4 but that's mostly a me thing. And is rarely stated.
Most of my characters I try treating realistically regardless of setting.
Most of my characters share nothing but at least a single personality trait. I am not counting sequel RPs where it makes sense to be similar. Even those with a similar personality have varied versions of the traits or are the extremes.
Most of my independent faction, nation, guild leaders are men groomed for it. Which some think is overshadowed because they ignore the fact that there are more sequel RPs I participate in than standalone universes.
Some of all of my characters cannot reach a end, appear like a trope or cliché, or feel bland to others and rarely change in a realistic timeframe, because other players have long term activity commitment issues, and the real problems faced by a lot of my sequel characters cannot realistically be depicted without a longer lasting RP. [Or in one case, I couldn't do anything because another guy captured the characters and it'd be repetitive.]

Below is more fun and is fully designed to be adaptive but have varying extents of commonality. Such as reusing a character may have similar or the exact same appearance but the rest could be altered for a separate RP. The rest are new creations but related to the template. Of which it will have a diversity of types of characters I can invent up for a storyline.

My future templates will have some parts copied and pasted into RP CSes, which are planned to literally be the Sherman and T-34 of CSes, and for one, the Kane of characters. They in some way will probably end up being related to the same or cadet branches of specific bloodlines, even if their names are corrupted to hell and back. This will be heavily documented, and will appear like a wiki entry. [Aspects like this will be personal but might be brought up randomly.]

One is literally a series of body snatcher, or part of a host's limb.

The first template would literally make double character playing possible conventionally. I.E, my uber wunderwaffe parasite roflstomps then it turns into your left arm. Now you have a character with a shapeshifting arm that talks to you and others. Or it could infect those of players that quit. The whole template is focused purely upon initiating all kinds of story types, and idea with disregard to traditionalism. A character going through a friend loss story could be hit harder by having to see their body running around. Or having to deal with something inside them. It pretty much sees one's attempts of being antisocial IC, and forces you to socialize by talking to part of your body, and the unaware would view them as insane for talking or even yelling to themselves. The possibilities of the template to create a story, as well as humorously enrage the traditionalists is infinite.

Every single one of their personalities will be replaced with a detailed personagraphy, rather than traits. Even if some are mere ruses and just a façade. Such as following the preservation theme of the previous stated's template.

Most of my templates on existing character's will retain detailed biographies. And new characters added to the template for future inspiration and reference.

Most of my templates will probably be written out now and appearances and references in written form. This will be expanded upon later.

Most templates associated to magic involved settings will share variations of the same powers, such as using their own hair.

Most of my templates will be story based, or essentially I create my own narrative by combining every history of past characters for references for the next. Like a solo writing story in event I ever want to try making my own multi-RP universe or etc. This one is an example of an entirely RP-unrelated/personal bit. But elements of a preexisting character's history on the template might be reused for a CS but altered.

My more templates' "fun" characters will most likely be fully utilized beyond the moderator's hall, and familial magic.
The character's that are their own, might have references to a previous. Such as a bracelet someone else wore, or a direct cameo in the form of a parasitic infection even if they don't have the powers. The latter for one of five templates.

My characters will now exist as their own as well as having varying historic backgrounds, such as one could be a normal person that chose to be a mercenary, and another could be a doctor traumatized into the profession. "My own" meaning that every single aspect of their creation sheet I will be making up even if inspired, influenced, or based on another aspect.

A number of characters and a template will be modeled on psychological warfare, to dick with NPCs and hostile players. Other characters and templates may be based upon other or combinations thereof of things like this.

I admit some might have to be lobotomized in comparison to their intended mindsets to keep them in character, because some people turn into mindless rage machines when they screw up and don't like accountability and all to their actions. One template will be an exception to this, as well as it's characters unless they literally are lobotomized, or in a circumstance to be more forgiving.

Some templates will have a theme or multiple such as "preservation" even if some of the characters take it to an immense extreme.

They can still have characters tailor made for an RP or universe.
Recurring characters and/or themes may pivot on the trait chart in accordance with their history, granted if the events can fit with whatever narrative the RP has.

Each template will have a uniform or varied weakness type. Not that low tier standard crap, but an actual health weakness. Such as the head, and heart, as well as the standard weakness types in RPs everywhere like fire.

Joke form cameos will be taking place. This could essentially be some random normal person strapping a foam dagger to their hands for one of the templates. It's not meant to be taken seriously, even if done seriously. [But don't try telling the all seeing sauron mod that, you're wasting your time.]

Most if not all appearances again may be written, because I currently cannot meet the same drawing quality as I can visualize for them, am bored of face claims, and can't pay anyone better than me to make one that is a bit more realistic than the most stereotypical of anime form, which I already can do [I prefer things with an actual nose for example and smaller but still emotive eyes. Ironically using an avatar that doesn't have any.]

All my characters will have their own body shapes stated, for additional realism. It will also help me figure out bodily limits such as strength. But I will not be stuffing them into RPs asking for things like "certain" measurements. The shit's creepy as fuck, and in most cases like faceclaims you could just tell by their type and shape. I.E the ridiculously named "Banana" with a muscular build ectomorph isn't going to have their bust size fetish. To them: Please self mutilate off to the nearest exit, because the God Master knows I can't make them do it IC in most instances without pissing the mods off.

The final thing common about them being another semi-unrelated thing. They'd be one of the first I do in a RP that is dedicated/purely focuses on a character that isn't a tabletop roleplaying game, or in a nation builder.

So that's what my upcomings have in common. Some people on or used to be on this site have a or several characters designed like this that they treat as a character flagship, heavily detailing everything and reusing them. Some using them as an avatar. They also get irked when Jimbob McGee uses a potion to up your "assets" size. Like them, I will take pleasure in gibbing Jimbob with my own flagships. One for each template, yet varying between embodying the entire set by the template like preservation, and being their own unique thing in comparison to it. Like a friendly philosopher when everyone else in it could be a passive murderer.

Although when I used to do this template thing, I just had the characters already be, or by side effect, turn into a male. Mcgee can't stuff their character wank wish fulfilment onto another dude, or a giant swinging tentacle blade. Unless they're bi, then I guess the character will just take pleasure mutilating and killing em. Rare instances of cannibalizing, but we don't speak about them dark times. The time with the bi witch was funnier though.

My characters are often overly freaky, weird, or intimidating appearance-wise when the setting allows for it.
Also:
  • I like giving my male characters (note: all of my characters are male) feminine names/nicknames.
  • When I don't make my characters outright inhuman-looking, I give them a lot of distinctive features or outfits that obscure their faces. They usually end up looking edgy because of this, but humans are so hard to describe.
  • Their backstories are usually pretty mundane. Any angst is from something that happened in the past six months or so.
  • If they're not completely normal, they're super bizarre.
  • All of my characters hate warm weather, because I hate warm weather and I'm projecting.

I have noticed all my characters tend to be very strong-willed in some way. While they are not all are strong warriors, they all have something that drives them. I have done everything from the meek noble woman trying to make her way in man's world, an overthrown queen, a ruthless tyrant, a simple rogue with a wolfish grin, a talented bard. All of them, I have noticed, have something which drives them to step out of their comfort zone and throw themselves into new worlds to make the best of themselves.

I noticed this here recently when I was sketching out some character arcs 😅 another thing I came to realize is all of my characters tend to not be important in the grand scheme of things. I find stories about the chosen one, or stories where the fate of a kingdom or world or whatever all revolve around one person. I don't find them as fun as people attempting to make it through a world too big for them and then making their mark in their own way. No, they can't stop the war, but they can save their friend. No, they can't end world hunger, but they can help one child.

Now, I do love a good story where someone smaller gets wrapped up in something bigger than themselves. So, I guess I could say I love writing the microscopic cog in the catastrophic plan haha.

Ive noticed that all my characters are outsiders in some way, being either altered, odd, displaced, out of their native elements, or a little out of the loop. I admit this may be the way I project myself, because I seldom fit in a social niche.

I do enjoy writing outsiders' perspectives though. I like people to think outside their own boxes. Now how to write inside a box, that's a challenge for me.

All my characters have me in common because I play them.

Seriously though, my characters often fall under "paladin" archetype. I just love to make them deal with dilemma to be "lawful" or "good".

Aside from Onmyoji Onmyoji 's accurate observation that it's me playing them all.... XD ... I'm going to say there's nothing really that they all have in common.

The only thing I can think of that most of them have in common is an exterior and interior that are very different. It can be either deliberately, like with a spy or trickster character, or someone whose outward personality covers up or compensates for some vulnerability of theirs. Sometimes they don't even know. Sometimes I don't even know.

If one of my characters is more what-you-see-is-what-you-get they are usually just comedy relief types. Or they haven't revealed their inner turmoil to me yet. XD

Maybe this is more a universal thing generally. If so, the answer to this question is more like ... there are sets. Like, my characters are in a quite well-overlapped Venn diagram of personalities/demographics/concepts. So they all have something in common with at least a couple of others, but there's nothing especially that they all have.

I try to make my characters fit into whatever social order is in place in the setting. They're not necessarily bad people, but they're usually not very enlightened.

If it's a dystopian RP, they're probably brainwashed and unsympathetic towards rebels. Even if they're relatively intelligent, they're warped into believing stupid things.

If it's medieval, or some other historical or historically-based setting, they'll be religious, homophobic, sexist, etc. if it is realistic. Sometimes even illiterate.

I've found my characters commonly share some form of skepticism, while balancing a care for others. Which seems like an odd combination to me.

Nearly all of mine are the intuitive types who think everything through or they're intellectuals/academics. I guess it bleeds through me to them since it's a trait I strongly possess. I'm very much a thinker.

So almost all of mine are animal lovers and people of color. More or less on purpose for like 90% of my roleplays too. I mean I mostly do animal themed slice of life or the like so a fondness of animals makes sense in the context of the story/setting. As to making them all people of color I just get bored of all the characters looking the same so I like to give them some variety whenever feasible.

I also go for non-traditionally attractive body types too. So women that are flat chested and a little "chubby" or men that are short and slender. If their teens or young adults maybe even through in some blemishes such as acne or the like.

I have a tendency to create mostly female characters. I also tend to lean in one of three directions with their personalities and backstories: traumatized/mentally messed up, Tony Stark BS techie, or country bumpkin. Sometimes there's some overlap

This is a fun question.

While I do believe that most, if not all of my characters are fairly different from one another, I believe every single one has an aspect of my moral beliefs and/or desires engraved in them. One of my first characters was, what I defined at the time,a total badass. She was a motorcycle riding, dual gun wielding, black clad, trench coat wearing hunter that slowly developed into an absolute mary sue god. I even created the typical twin sibling that was the absolute opposite of the first character.

Then it turned into my angsty and darker obsession years where I explored my darker fantasies and desires for mature and gory themes. Characters would be hunted by serial killers, tortured, taken over by dark spirits, etc. This slowly developed into creating multiple semi-shallow side characters for the others to interact with and "play" with. They were also witnesses for their amazing feats and abilities.

Then I really dug down and basically reset myself in character creation. I looked to what made character good in my eyes and why, and then I did the complete opposite, experimenting with multiple versions of myself, low to no powered humans, and just average run of the mill people. By exploring these traits, I feel that I gripped onto what really makes a character come alive and what drives them to their actions and reasonings and I believe it is reflected in what I write now (especially when compared to how out of hand Linx, Ayil, and Amitiel had become).

I always see at least form of desire or moral trait in my characters now. You wont find any of my characters smoking cigarettes or becoming an alcoholic because I dont indulge in that myself. I have an extravagant and socially powerful character, and she embodies the beauty, high status, and privilege that I have longed for in so many situations in my life, yet my more down to earth and reasonable male character is embodying what true "earning your way" and taking what you can really means. He sees that many aspects of a celebrity of some kind are because they are portrayed that way and that they're human like everyone else. They're their own person like anyone else. Another male character of mine is an embodiment of my wish to become stronger and to do things how I see fit and not to uphold someone else's expectations or needs above my own. I still struggle with that sometimes actually. Another female character of mine is focused on friendships and loyalty and how we need to stick together to accomplish tasks necessary and to accept people for who they are.

Longer post short, I see many aspects of my own beliefs and morals coming through my more recent characters, and I feel it helps me write a better and more genuine story if I can introduce those flaws and beliefs.

The following is basically just a repost of this post. While I my characters have changed somewhat since then, mostly of this still holds true in about the same way.

First of all, the archetype I never shut up about using, my favorite, child characters. I just really love this archetype for the innocence and unique perspective and interactions these characters can bring. They are a fun and surprisingly functional sort of character if just given the chance, plus they will bring out sides of other characters not normally seen. They are also excellent for the sort of misunderstandings and humor I like to add to my plots.

Another kind of bizzare kind of character I like to use is the animalistic type of character. This character will either be an actual animal with human intelligence or a human with strong animal-like behavior. The perspective and the kind of unnusual actions and paths these characters will follow, plus their ease of accessibility by other players makes them a good cog ina roleplay's machine, plus they are often adorable <3

Speaking of ease of accessibility though, I also tend to play characters that are very curious, often due to being oportunistic or greedy or just plain because they like learning. I know this isn't really an archetype per say, but I use it on pratically every character I make, mostly in an attempt to have an organic way to get my character into taking an interest with interacting with others, into doing certain actions that maybe would be illogical but fit for the plot etc... It helps me show interest and help get things moving without breaking character.

I like the "character that fell into a spiral of envy" or "the sinner trying to live with the regret of their crimes" types. Due to my experiences as an older brother, of feeling surpassed but simultaneously like I failed my duties as an older brother, the emotions of envy and regret are no strangers to me, and I find that a lot of those characters get those emotions in them. Now, don't get me wrong, those characters are not me, but I do often explore those themes in my characters. It makes for a compelling, human backstory and character conflict, plus it's a lot more subtle than "all my family died and I'm out for revenge". In my backstories, my character's aren't just victims. Most of the time they are the perpetrators. They suffer because they made mistakes and now they have to live with them.

On a lighter note, the last archetype I love playing is the "puts an over the top front" type. Basically characters who will act in a purposefully super exagerated or weird way in order to cover up for themselves and for others the real conflict beneath them. I find those just hilarious and at times good drama fodder as well.

I used to love playing super smart or wise old characters, but I don't do it much anymore. Mainly cause the only way for me make one would be to have sole access to the lore. "Hunches", I have found, are the bane of any liar or strategist, because characters with a plan will usually see that plan foiled by out of the blue plot shenanigans or by someone feeling that "something's wrong with this person I trusted fully up until 10 seconds ago". Plus every character seem to be a strategist anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back