Experiences what are the worst charatures/players you seen?

The male equivalent is a Gary Stu, I believe.
I actually remember a odd conversation people had over that. Because Mary Sue was suppose to according to this argument be a perfectly sweet woman name. But they felt the name Gary Stu just sounded like a joke. All because perfect little miss Mary Sue had to have the male name rhyme with hers. Odd logic in that conversation.

I feel that Mary Sue is a gender neutral term (like Jack of All Trades) and choose to use it in that context.
Hey, I didn't make the terms. I just know about em'. lol
I actually remember a odd conversation people had over that. Because Mary Sue was suppose to according to this argument be a perfectly sweet woman name. But they felt the name Gary Stu just sounded like a joke. All because perfect little miss Mary Sue had to have the male name rhyme with hers. Odd logic in that conversation.
Alternatively, they can also be called a Marty Sam. Just found that out.

🗡 When a character's personality is a paradox: Ex. She is shy and reclusive around people but fiercely loyal and will lash out and attack anyone that threatens her friends

To be honest, isn't far off a read of my own public personality. There are circumstances in which this can happen (in my case, I'm a very protective/hot headed person, but I also deal with some anxiety that can cause me to be extremely quiet in group settings unless I get incredibly worked up). But I'm assuming what you're saying here is that they're pretending this person is naturally, like this, rather than there being an additional factor masking their 'true' personality. In which case, yeah, makes no sense.

To be honest, isn't far off a read of my own public personality. There are circumstances in which this can happen (in my case, I'm a very protective/hot headed person, but I also deal with some anxiety that can cause me to be extremely quiet in group settings unless I get incredibly worked up). But I'm assuming what you're saying here is that they're pretending this person is naturally, like this, rather than there being an additional factor masking their 'true' personality. In which case, yeah, makes no sense.
There have been other examples that weren't so... situational. That was just one that I particularly remembered to state as an example. Another example that I remembered was where a person's character basically grew up as an orphan from peasant farm, but then pursued a life of an apothecary assassin after her parents were murdered. Very unlikely choice of revenge, considering all the education they would have to seek out in order to achieve that. So they're gonna have us believe that a simple farmgirl suddenly had the notion to study poisons and assassination to get revenge? LOL

There have been other examples that weren't so... situational. That was just one that I particularly remembered to state as an example. Another example that I remembered was where a person's character basically grew up as an orphan from peasant farm, but then pursued a life of an apothecary assassin after her parents were murdered. Very unlikely choice of revenge, considering all the education they would have to seek out in order to achieve that. So they're gonna have us believe that a simple farmgirl suddenly had the notion to study poisons and assassination to get revenge? LOL

Well you see, one day she noticed the cows dropping dead from eating wild hemlock and... yeah idk. lol

Well you see, one day she noticed the cows dropping dead from eating wild hemlock and... yeah idk. lol

This is a case in which it's extra annoying in that is could very much make sense. Maybe one day she did notice animals getting sick eating certain plants. Then on mentioning it to a family member they explained it and then she became interested and went to someone that she was told knew more about plants and negative affects and learned more. Maybe someone who was an apothecary and supplied remedies to the farmers for issues. And then once time for revenge came she already had the seedlings of knowledge that led this to a choice of life. Maybe she even tracked down a less scrupulous teacher she knew of as a warning from the farm apothecary.

But that would need character development. And thinking out back story. I imagine your talking of the ones that if you ask about something on the character it's just "I don't know, I just thought it was cool."

To be quite honest, I experienced multiple characters and players that were the worst at the same time.

I had joined a fantasy pirate Roleplay on another site where you could make a species that was mythical or make just a plain human. I made 6 characters since we could make as many as we wanted and nobody interacted with me. Whenever I would try to interact with someone IC, the character just made up some excuse to leave my character and went to talk to someone else. My characters were alone and everyone just wanted to converse with their friends. One of my characters was even the first mate of the ship and not even the captain interacted with her. None of my 6 characters had any plots/arcs because nobody wanted to plot with them even though my characters weren’t overpowered or cringe. My characters were normal and they had no “UwU I’m so useless and kawaii” aspect to them. They all had realistic abilities depending on what species they were. So basically I had to try to keep my characters going even though I couldn’t really do anything with them.

The players didn’t want to talk to me either. I tried to talk to the players OOC and they ignored me and only talked to their friends. I was left out and nobody wanted to chat with me or plot with my characters. If I tried to talk to them about how I was being ignored and forgotten about, they wouldn’t say anything to me and would just continue the conversation that they’d been having. Honestly, I was the only one left out. Everyone else was welcome to join in on conversations. Now I hadn’t done anything wrong to make them ignore me. I wasn’t friends with any of them since I had never role played or conversed with any of them before. And the thread sounded really interesting so I had joined despite not knowing anyone in the thread.

Needless to say, I noped myself out of that thread and it died shortly after.

Basically... the whole thread was the worst. Remember, that thread was a “anyone can join!” type of thread.

His character was ( in a school full of SUPERPOWERS - yes, this story is from when I would join those forums ) a normal fella, with a gun that could change ammo at will and had infinite ammo. That was it, that was the entire character. When characters that only had weapons as powers got banned he tried futilely to claim that ‘he controlled the gun so he was superpowered’, so no surprise, he got banned.
I think the latter is pretty reasonable. Like, if I had already gotten a character accepted and then a rule was implemented that resulted in said character getting thrown out, I would also grasp at whatever straws possible to keep being able to play that character.

gun related superpowers > psychic/physical/energy manipulation superpowers because... *yawn*

Let me be honest, powers will not do any favors if the character itself is lackluster. Shure, it can add on to a character's own experiences, but it shouldn't be treated as the end all be all for a character.

Also, are you asking for something like Unlimited Blade Works? But for guns?

Let me be honest, powers will not do any favors if the character itself is lackluster. Shure, it can add on to a character's own experiences, but it shouldn't be treated as the end all be all for a character.

Yeah, a gimmick shouldn't be the defining feature of a character. Also, I don't even know what Unlimited Blade Works is. lol

If I'm going to be completely transparent, I'm not even a fan of the superhero genre to begin with. People get too ridiculous most of the time, or otherwise just keep making the same tired tropes over and over. And like you mentioned, the character tends to be all about their powers instead of being a character unto themselves. Only reason I'd give a go ahead to some larger-than-life gun skills is because it's NOT flying, super strength, x-ray vision, laser eyes, invisibility, shadow control, etc. etc. But the same pitfalls still apply.

To put things in perspective, I don't even like my fantasy settings to be rife with magic for the same reasons. I prefer low-fantasy settings if at all possible. In sci-fi settings, I like for there to be at least some kind of semi-logical means to why gadgets function the way they do.

Oddly enough, despite my preference for a realistic anchor, I DON'T like modern/realistic settings. Go figure, huh?

Yeah, but if the power's gonnna be the only part of a character that matters, it might as well be a unique one.

Yeah, but if the power's gonnna be the only part of a character that matters, it might as well be a unique one.
And even the generic or "over used" powers can be implemented given some proper effort. But that also requires some sort of personality, it may as well be a stand in if it's only the power that matters. Test out the character in some way at least, write a prompt in that characters shoes, maybe do a quick rp with that character.

And to advoid dragging stuff off topic. I'll provide my experience with witnessing a messy messy fight, in character and ooc. It was a fairly basic (if not limiting) rp invloveing supernatural armor that I joined a few years back. There was a fight between two player characters at one point, eventually leading to what appeared to me a messy description of grapleing and throws and...it was hard to fallow those posts from either of them. Eventually it Started becoming a argument ooc over whatever or not one guy is able to to that or so on. It sort of killed the mood at the time, left a few days after.

So yeah, i would not like having to deal with someone who is more interested in putting there character on a pedestal than in actually working with their fellow rpers to make some sort of reasonable interaction. If that person is unwilling to work together, then even the most interesting or basic powers can be handled horribly.

Most "bad" characters I've seen I think were just from young or inexperienced people, so it's hard for me to care about those so much and they can still be fun to play with sometimes. It's annoying when they write OCs with caricatures of mental illness or other serious things, or use it as a crutch when writing villains, but honestly I did the same thing when I was young. Side note that ruthless characters that have normal brain capacities for empathy are usually so much more interesting.

It irritates me a lot more when someone obviously has been rping for a bit, or is older, and does things like ignoring lore, setting, etc, or try to force their idea that doesn't match up with it well. I don't make my own roleplays much but I see it happen in other people's roleplays. A character that uses a version of technology that doesn't quite exist in that time period yet, trying to push for a magic system to work in a way it doesn't really because you think it would be cool for your OC, a character that acts in a way that should get them killed because it's so quirky, etc... Like why join a roleplay if you have no interest in reading the setup the GM has made?

Self-inserts as a vague concept are fine- all my OCs have widely different personalities, backgrounds, appearances, and etc but are formed from picking pieces of my experiences and feelings, most writers write like that- but it's frustrating when it interferes with roleplay. Characters that exist wholly for you to project on just shouldn't be used in roleplay especially when it becomes impossible to interact with those characters without the other player taking events personally. I have an acquaintance I struggle to avoid text rp with because it's such a big issue, and all of her OCs are nearly the same, so it's just too obvious. 😭 I feel like me and the other players feel obligated to apologize or explain our OC's actions and console her after every DnD session despite our OCs having normal reactions to someone randomly setting stuff in a town crawling with guards on fire. Those characters aren't inherently bad either, just they're not suited for collaborative work- fanfiction and original stories are more appropriate.

Last edited:
It irritates me a lot more when someone obviously has been rping for a bit, or is older, and does things like ignoring lore, setting, etc, or try to force their idea that doesn't match up with it well. I don't make my own roleplays much but I see it happen in other people's roleplays. A character that uses a version of technology that doesn't quite exist in that time period yet, trying to push for a magic system to work in a way it doesn't really because you think it would be cool for your OC, a character that acts in a way that should get them killed because it's so quirky, etc... Like why join a roleplay if you have no interest in reading the setup the GM has made?

This reminds me of when I was running a feudal Japan nation in a medfan setting and someone new came along and was like "Can I industrialise the agriculture? :D :D"

There was a lot of "Can I use guns? How about robots?" questions about the RP in general but that one about farming was the weirdest/most ridiculous one I personally ever received. Like... oh you want to change the entire basis for how this society operates and affects every single person in the country? Let me think... 🤔

This person was not even in the top 50 of annoying players I have encountered btw. XD

Given the title of this thread, I'm not gonna be referencing any players or RPs by name.

Character: I was GMing this particular installment of a fantasy RP. It was part of a series of RP that the group holds very dear. This RP was the typical high fantasy RP. Gods, Magic, Elves, Bow/Blade. We all know it. We all love it. This character, which was rejected, was supposed to be a Reaver from another dimension. They were apparently a "Transphastic human"

The name was "Black Shadow" which was exactly the type of edgy nonsense I expect from a character this trollishly OP.........but apparently they were 100% serious about it

Description of species: To put it into perspective a kryptonian is a caveman in comparison. Transphasic Humans are a perfect fusion of ancient magic and science fantasy technology. They have the ability to live without oxygen or any form of gas. They can jump to the moon on foot. And on top of that Transphasic Humans can literally phase through anything. They were created in the year 9089 by humanity.

This is only the SPECIES. This is as description of the SPECIES of the character. This means that every person of this species can do the these same things. Before we even get into their magic or abilities, it's already massively OP and FAR out of genre.

I'm pretty damn lenient in my fantasy RPs when it comes to magic, species, and creatures, but this is ridiculous.

Player: One of my first RPs I ever joined had this player who read only what they wanted to read and nothing else. The biggest red flag was that everything said to his character or thought from characters in the RP about his character was taken personally and arguments started in the OOC. This player had his character break into my character's house and I specified that in the room he was in, there was no window to escape from. Literally in the next post, he said his character jumped out the window. When I brought it up in the OOC that there were no windows in the room he was in, AS ANNOTATED IN THE POST, he got mad and edited his post to say that his character just dropped dead from the hand of god, a not so subtle dig at me because he believed that I was godmodding.

This behavior wasn't really put in check, yet my character's magic, the ability to requip the equipment he had with him (think Skyrim and how you can change armor from a menu. From the perspective of the enemy, it looks like an instant change of weapon or armor. That's essentially what it was) was too OP, despite my character being an old man and unable to use really any weapon heavier than a standard Arming Sword or Bastard Sword, couldn't use any armor heavier than leather, was fragile, and needed to use stat-enhancing potions to get himself to a strength level usable in battle. Despite these weaknesses, that was put in check for being "too OP" yet this dude's insane passive aggression and taking words said by character in the IC goes unchecked

So I quit. My character said they were done with these issues, got on his horse, and exited the area. That was that RP's last post as it died as soon as my character left.
I tore my eyes out while I was reading this.

I had this person that I was roleplaying with on another site. We were going on months of roleplaying. Everything was going perfect, they loved my characters and I loved theirs. They continuously began to add characters (which I don’t mind. The more the merrier) but they continued to get worse and worse. I swear that one history of another one of their characters was just copy and pasted to one of their new characters. It was literally the same thing just different names and places... but essentially the same exact experiences.

And then they started giving their characters these random ass powers that had nothing to do with anything we were doing. Their characters were becoming more powerful each day and here my puny ass characters were just chilling. And to make things worse, they always put my characters into these awful situations where my characters were always the assholes of the group. They targeted one of my characters specifically that was a love interest of one of their characters. They made my character out to be this super bitch even though my character’s personality was sweet and caring.

Over the years, I've made a lot of "just jump in!" group RPs. Which, sometimes you find some amazing players. And sometimes it all goes to chaos very quickly. (Usually both! 😜 ) Most of these crashed and burned.

But one was just ... such chaos that I couldn't even let it die a natural death. I was gone for just a few hours and came back to find that two players had posted like 20 times and taken the story off the deep end, one even narrating how they killed several of the other PCs in the process. Probably the most extreme case of godmodding I've ever seen.

So I godmodded right back and broke out the good ol' GM stand by:

Rock falls. Everybody dies. The End

So there's this one guy I ran into. I had made this MLP roleplay (yes I'm a Brony, whatever, sue me) that never got off the ground and this guy wanted to play a character with a f***ing tank! Like, seriously! A tank! In My Little Pony!

Oh, also this guy started stalking me so I had to block him.

So there's this one guy I ran into. I had made this MLP roleplay (yes I'm a Brony, whatever, sue me) that never got off the ground and this guy wanted to play a character with a f***ing tank! Like, seriously! A tank! In My Little Pony!

I’m readying the legal papers as we speak

but no seriously wow tone break much

Probably trying some kind of Fallout Equestria or FOB Equestria thing.

Yeah, it was not Fallout Equestria.

Read the frikken room, my dude. Or at least the interest check.

Yeah, and it's not like that is a hard RP to find players on. At least it wasn't at one time. So why try to push it on someone who isn't interested and then stalk them.

I know how you feel. I had an interest check that stated no fandoms and no romance get a request for someone to play the love interest in a fandom RP. People just skim the ads and miss whatever they don't want to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back