Experiences what are the worst charatures/players you seen?

Hmm... the idea of a character who is a massive jerk and is always actively plotting against the other characters is actually an interesting concept.

Like, you're forced to work with them because the world is in danger or something but then when you defeat the villain, they become the villain by grabbing the macguffin that was important to the plot or some such thing.

Clashing characters who have to work together for a goal or a character who is a spy the whole time typically work due to both character having a stake in the situation. The first if they have the same goal they will both be in the situation of hating each other but needing to work around it to not completely alienate the other. In the second they won't go so far as to run off the character they are using to get what they want. Their is enough to have the jerk still make the plot work for all characters.

The issue with the characters and their players I'm referring to are that:

A: They don't ever tend to give an actual reason to put up with them. The plot is usually all in their characters benefit and you just frankly need to play a huge push over who I guess as toxic clingy syndrome and won't leave their character no matter what.

B: The plot is pretty much ALL tension and trying to make you and your character throw up your hands and be "Fine whatever. We'll do it your way!" You try to move the plot along and they just gotta lay in the tension and disrupt things with the jerk factor. The jerk IS THE PLOT!

I have a RP going right now where two of my partners characters are being quite toxic to one of mine due to issues with his lifestyle and his family. But they are working together to keep many people from dying. Mine concedes he can't boot them away and they concede the group needs him and his allies. Doesn't stop the mocking, yelling, pouting and causing tension among the group in general. But it's plot based and doesn't stop the whole story.

In a previous RP I ended their was no stakes in the RP other than the jerk didn't get what they wanted. Him getting what he wanted seemed bad for the populace of he area in general. He already made it clear he had no plans to even pay my character for helping him. It literally was just "Well, if your character leaves then we don't have an RP." So we didn't have an RP.

Oh just realized I never put my worst players here;

- The lady that tried to shove her fetish into the roleplay and then called me a prude for “wasting her time” when I said no. Like bish you answered MY ad not the other way around.

- The gal that deliberately refused to interact with my character (in a 1x1 no less) and admitted they only did it to get a rise out of me.

- The gal who went on an angry tirade against the evils of homosexuality when I asked if I could make an ace character

I have had folks who irritated me in the past but those three were top tier assholes.

While I do understand I started the thread I feel I could add probobly the worst person and player

They joined the rp specifically because they had a super crush on somones OC FC there entire character personality backstory and everything else was all about how much she had a crush on this person character... then without being approved they posted a one liner totally ignoring the context of the situation

When I spoke to them they complained I was a bad DM and shouldn't be asking them to change anything... and left so yay..

Yeah she was really a habitual line stepper in general. You say no X, well what about X adjacent? Like no X, ugh you're so unreasonable!

Yeah, I've seen that type. You get the impression that they are either a flat out troll or are trying to find someone unable to stand up for their own comfort zone. Probably becasue they alienated to many people in their genre/cliche or want to find someone to bully.

They joined the rp specifically because they had a super crush on somones OC FC there entire character personality backstory and everything else was all about how much she had a crush on this person character...

I find players who have nothing but romance on the brain tend to slip into bad player with bad character mode easy. First being you are a bad player when you try to force your thing on an uninterested player. I've had to many ignore my rules where I specifically say no romance. Despite no shortage of people online looking for that sort of RP they go to someone specifically saying no from the get go? Seriously?

Then you got the character. They either come off as desperate to be laid, or mentally ill Romeo and Juliet syndrome cases. They usually have no real reason to be in love or even crushing on the other person's character. Not to mention the posts read like bad romance novels. Focusing how they are trying to get attention or trying to force attention to the 'romantic' aspects of a character. So yeah, you again over the top described your character's hair, build, face, and that they were too stupid to fully button their shirt all the way but kinda ignored answering other details of the previous situation.

Also, I really can not stand characters with any feature described as 'no man/woman could ignore.' 'Everyone always noticed.' 'It proved irresistible to even the most chaste people.' Don't try to tell me what my character does and does not take interest in. It's the same as agreeing in fight scenes it's always up to the player whether their character gets hit or not and then describing actions as unable to be dodged or blocked. Not saying characters can't have elaborate features or not to describe them, but I find it very warning sign like when it reads like it's trying to get me (or my character) in a mood.

Also, when they try to acknowledge you don't want to 'ship' and then play the forlorn rejected lover . . . . I hate that so much.

How about the worst character you've ever made personally? We all have them, don't pretend. :P

Werewolf athlete jock - super handsome, smart, classy. Shiny. Absolute cockwomble.

In my defense, I was also 13 and the high school mutant genre was still going strong...at night I have flash backs to cringe instant love scenes and awkward flirting one liner posts. They were dark days, guys. Dark days.
I once made a literal Mary Sue. In my defense, though, it was intentional as the RP was satirical and meant to poke fun at common bad RP tropes. It was pretty funny and it's a shame it died pretty quickly.

hey so I was wondering what experience other people have had with these two things to clarify

the"worst characters": i mean that CS's that are just horrible/cringy or op. or similar stuff with IC interactions

and players, i mean the actual actions of the person behind the character and how they acted if or when they where called out heck the player thing can include bad DM's you have delt with.

worst character by far ive ever dealt with is someone playing an absolute mary sue a few years ago. it didn't help that the person had a somewhat limited grasp of grammar and spelling, with little to no commas to break and pace the writing. oh, and many one-liners.
granted, we were playing an angel demon rp, but it was very hard to roleplay with her because she would make her character so extreme? like, at one point her character, a female angel, would be smiling and all good and then the next she would be crying or acting like a psychopath all of a sudden, her personality not consistent at all and it would break the whole tone of the rp or at the very least, the carefully crafted situation. The rest of us, who were semi literate, always had to work around her to keep what we liked about the rp going, but it was frustrating because the rper had no self awareness at all. I have the most complaints because i was mostly the one who had to interact with her constantly as we had this forced kind of relationship between our characters (demon x angel). I always gave her the benefit of the doubt and actually put effort into it even if I did not want it at all, but it was so hard because she was legit just riding on the coattails of the interactions i enriched between our characters.
in the end the rp, which lasted a good amount of time despite challenges, died and i learned exactly how not to act in an rp

Okay, so I GMed this roleplay for my uni classmates, and one of my friends created this... ugh, half-human, half-horse thing. Not a centaur, but a furry. For my sci-fi space opera. We're off to a good start already, but it doesn't end here-- he basically inserted every single fetish of his into the character and did alllll the things that a man playing a female character shouldn't do. Like, he kept describing her physical assets in excessive detail, and he made her think stuff like: 'other women are frivolous and use their sex appeal to get what they want, but not me, I'm not like the other girls.'

I kicked him out, but he promised he'd change and begged for another chance. To be fair, he did tone it down-- except that he started being utterly insufferable in other ways. Our characters would get along and have fun together, for example, and then his character would randomly try to kill those characters (even if they were a part of his fucking crew) because, supposedly, things weren't 'dramatic enough'. No shit? This was a lighthearted RP about space criminals, mate! We all agreed on that! Of course, then he acted TERRIBLY shocked when our characters didn't like that and refused to work with the psycho as a result, lmao. He even went so far as to overrule my GM posts-- basically, he tried to retcon the whole attempted killing spree by claiming it was a dream all along. That was when I kicked him out for good.

Hmm... the idea of a character who is a massive jerk and is always actively plotting against the other characters is actually an interesting concept.

Like, you're forced to work with them because the world is in danger or something but then when you defeat the villain, they become the villain by grabbing the macguffin that was important to the plot or some such thing.
Actually, don't do this specifically. The macguffin getting ninja'd out of the blue by a bad guy is overused and extremely aggravating.

Anyways, since I'm here, I once witnessed someone, without a hint of irony, write "he's too powerful and his friends hold him back" in the weaknesses section of their CS.

Since I've been receiving notifications from this forum again, I figure I should add a couple more experiences.

The first RP I ever started, (around six years ago), was a pirate RP. Which, I do want to create another one eventually here as the only reason why it ended is because of a specific character. Overall though, when the Captain was decided, which wasn't my character, he and I discussed the plot further of the RP in secret from the other RPers. The other RPers knew plenty to work with, but I told him the secrets and climaxes of the rp so he knew where to aim the crew. If an RPer wanted to be first or second mate, they also had to choose another role their character could possibly have as I allowed the Captain choose from those who were interested in being his first and second, as he knew what would work with his character best.

But there was this one gal. She didn't want to be first or second mate. She just wanted to be apart of the average crew, which is fine, they're just as important. However, she felt the incredible need to insert herself into every conversation, every scene and entirely derail it. She constantly destroyed momentum with single line posts (which is was lit and sometimes semi-lit). She'd glomp people, try to hit characters for no reason, throw bottles of wine at people, waltz into the Captain's quarters, etc. There was a super emotional, plot breaking scene between my character, the captain and the first mate, and she had her character leave another group she'd imposed on to disrupt the scene. Our characters eventually took to literally knocking her character out to shut her down. (And I did ask her to read previous posts and write more lines as it didn't seem like she was paying attention to the group.) She later complained that all we ever do is knock out her character and never roleplay with her.

That's when I further explained to her what she is doing wrong, how she could fix it and also detailed how sometimes a character doesn't need to be in any scene. Sometimes it is nice to sit back and read for a while. Sometimes it is nice to display the reaction of your character in a moment to foreshadow future insights. Sometimes, believe it or not, your character doesn't need to be everywhere all the time. Even our Captain would hold back in scenes because he knew he wasn't needed and it'd be better to let other characters do their thing. I also pointed out a rule that I usually put in my roleplays that states: Include everyone, but don't feel like you need to be included everywhere.

You see, there were many times the group had attempted to include her, but she never went along with the conversations, never attempted to create bonds or character development. She had an agenda and it wasn't anywhere close to the roleplay itself. She promised to do better, which, great! We would love have loved to include her more. But instead, she singlehandedly destroyed the entire rp to make it her vision (which she told me was her plan after I had been 'so rude to her' and only told me after everyone had enough). And she did it. Everyone left. The roleplay was on the brink of hitting the first huge reveal, and it just died. I didn't roleplay for years after because I was so disappointed. I felt like someone had torn up my hard work and stolen some of my new friends. They may be from afar and around the world, but you get close to the people you rp with when they last long enough. I haven't attempted another pirate rp for fear that it'll happen all over again.

∆∆∆

My other one is short and simple. A couple years back, I joined a group rp and my character seemed to be falling for another. Now, I'm married. But in my head, these are characters nothing more, nothing less. To me, it's like watching a cute romance in a book or show, but I get to take part in creating half of it. Or, just the same as writing romance in a book all on my own. Nothing more comes from it. One guy didn't see it that way though... it's like he forgot that I told him I was married every time I said it and continued to ask how I felt about him. I just mentioned above that I do believe friends are created in roleplay, but it isn't a dating site. I, again, explained that I was married and I don't think I could continue to rp with him. I felt too uncomfortable. He said, "I know you're married. But it's like a work couple. We are a rping couple. Who cares? It isn't the same thing as cheating and you don't have to tell him." What he didn't know is that I tell my husband everything. All of my rpers, conversations, etc. He's apart of it all. I run ideas by him when I rp and he loves hearing the stories. He doesn't like reading, but he enjoys listening to me read to him. So, yeah, he'll know when someone is creeping me out. And yes, he'll discourage the rp partnership just as much as he'll encourage me to rp with good partners.

When this rper found out that I had no plans to be romantic with him in out of character chat (not that I was romantic with him in the roleplay either) he dropped the rp faster than me. It should be understood that many married roleplayers don't mind romance in a roleplay. We don't reflect ourselves so heavily on the characters that way. We're writing a story. That's the plan. Not a relationship.

i had an rp partner whose character was of course so beautiful, so great at fighting and of course so generous. big ol mary sue no thank you! she was also a terrible GM-er

A character that is a drunk, on drugs, yet is still OP no matter how absolutely inebriated messed up they are. And they are complete jerks against most other characters for some prejudice or another. But they are suppose to be a huge public hero everyone knows about. And are above the law of literally everywhere they go.

And their player expects you to be okay with them twisting everything everybody else does into something meant to be stupid or insignificant to make their stuff look so much cooler.

Since I've been receiving notifications from this forum again, I figure I should add a couple more experiences.

The first RP I ever started, (around six years ago), was a pirate RP. Which, I do want to create another one eventually here as the only reason why it ended is because of a specific character. Overall though, when the Captain was decided, which wasn't my character, he and I discussed the plot further of the RP in secret from the other RPers. The other RPers knew plenty to work with, but I told him the secrets and climaxes of the rp so he knew where to aim the crew. If an RPer wanted to be first or second mate, they also had to choose another role their character could possibly have as I allowed the Captain choose from those who were interested in being his first and second, as he knew what would work with his character best.

But there was this one gal. She didn't want to be first or second mate. She just wanted to be apart of the average crew, which is fine, they're just as important. However, she felt the incredible need to insert herself into every conversation, every scene and entirely derail it. She constantly destroyed momentum with single line posts (which is was lit and sometimes semi-lit). She'd glomp people, try to hit characters for no reason, throw bottles of wine at people, waltz into the Captain's quarters, etc. There was a super emotional, plot breaking scene between my character, the captain and the first mate, and she had her character leave another group she'd imposed on to disrupt the scene. Our characters eventually took to literally knocking her character out to shut her down. (And I did ask her to read previous posts and write more lines as it didn't seem like she was paying attention to the group.) She later complained that all we ever do is knock out her character and never roleplay with her.

That's when I further explained to her what she is doing wrong, how she could fix it and also detailed how sometimes a character doesn't need to be in any scene. Sometimes it is nice to sit back and read for a while. Sometimes it is nice to display the reaction of your character in a moment to foreshadow future insights. Sometimes, believe it or not, your character doesn't need to be everywhere all the time. Even our Captain would hold back in scenes because he knew he wasn't needed and it'd be better to let other characters do their thing. I also pointed out a rule that I usually put in my roleplays that states: Include everyone, but don't feel like you need to be included everywhere.

You see, there were many times the group had attempted to include her, but she never went along with the conversations, never attempted to create bonds or character development. She had an agenda and it wasn't anywhere close to the roleplay itself. She promised to do better, which, great! We would love have loved to include her more. But instead, she singlehandedly destroyed the entire rp to make it her vision (which she told me was her plan after I had been 'so rude to her' and only told me after everyone had enough). And she did it. Everyone left. The roleplay was on the brink of hitting the first huge reveal, and it just died. I didn't roleplay for years after because I was so disappointed. I felt like someone had torn up my hard work and stolen some of my new friends. They may be from afar and around the world, but you get close to the people you rp with when they last long enough. I haven't attempted another pirate rp for fear that it'll happen all over again.

∆∆∆

My other one is short and simple. A couple years back, I joined a group rp and my character seemed to be falling for another. Now, I'm married. But in my head, these are characters nothing more, nothing less. To me, it's like watching a cute romance in a book or show, but I get to take part in creating half of it. Or, just the same as writing romance in a book all on my own. Nothing more comes from it. One guy didn't see it that way though... it's like he forgot that I told him I was married every time I said it and continued to ask how I felt about him. I just mentioned above that I do believe friends are created in roleplay, but it isn't a dating site. I, again, explained that I was married and I don't think I could continue to rp with him. I felt too uncomfortable. He said, "I know you're married. But it's like a work couple. We are a rping couple. Who cares? It isn't the same thing as cheating and you don't have to tell him." What he didn't know is that I tell my husband everything. All of my rpers, conversations, etc. He's apart of it all. I run ideas by him when I rp and he loves hearing the stories. He doesn't like reading, but he enjoys listening to me read to him. So, yeah, he'll know when someone is creeping me out. And yes, he'll discourage the rp partnership just as much as he'll encourage me to rp with good partners.

When this rper found out that I had no plans to be romantic with him in out of character chat (not that I was romantic with him in the roleplay either) he dropped the rp faster than me. It should be understood that many married roleplayers don't mind romance in a roleplay. We don't reflect ourselves so heavily on the characters that way. We're writing a story. That's the plan. Not a relationship.

from now on I will give thanks for my excellent roleplaying fortune every single day.

why can't we have hobbies that don't attract undersocialized wackjobs like flies to shit? why are we cursed bros?

Worst player, and character I ever met was a fella who would constantly one line in a forum where 1 lines under 10 words would get deleted. His character was ( in a school full of SUPERPOWERS - yes, this story is from when I would join those forums ) a normal fella, with a gun that could change ammo at will and had infinite ammo. That was it, that was the entire character. When characters that only had weapons as powers got banned he tried futilely to claim that ‘he controlled the gun so he was superpowered’, so no surprise, he got banned.

Worst player, and character I ever met was a fella who would constantly one line in a forum where 1 lines under 10 words would get deleted. His character was ( in a school full of SUPERPOWERS - yes, this story is from when I would join those forums ) a normal fella, with a gun that could change ammo at will and had infinite ammo. That was it, that was the entire character. When characters that only had weapons as powers got banned he tried futilely to claim that ‘he controlled the gun so he was superpowered’, so no surprise, he got banned.
Is it bad that I read this and my brain immediately started putting together ways to make this character both be awesome and fit with the setting?

Oh, and the lad that made a talking gecko who had a tophat in the BOS during a Fallout RP who GOT ACCEPTED BY THE MOD TEAM. Needless to say, my supermutant hunter killed him for some more trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back