Experiences what are the worst charatures/players you seen?

Is it bad that I read this and my brain immediately started putting together ways to make this character both be awesome and fit with the setting?
Nope, literally anything would be better then his character, so I don’t blame ya for trying to salvage it. He also would constantly drop other OCs without telling anybody, DURING RP.

Ooh! He could have, like, energy bolt powers and when he shoots an energy blast it looks like he's firing it out of a glowy transparent gun but it's not an actual gun its just an energy construct made by his subconscious brain or something.

Now you’re thinking along more lines then he ever could. That concept actually sounds cool rather then ‘my gun can use hollow points and THEN switch to slugs’.

Now you’re thinking along more lines then he ever could. That concept actually sounds cool rather then ‘my gun can use hollow points and THEN switch to slugs’.
He had the magical ability to use ammo types tbf considering how Most RP guns work youd think the gun was what made something AP or not

Or, if you want to get physical, he could have FMA style Alchemy powers but he can only make guns (look, it's a superhero rp, we can ignore ammo limitations until the plot says we can't).

He did have infinite ammo in his gun as a superpower, and I had a budget deadpool who was basically a talking zombie - minus the main zombie part, so I don’t know why he settled for something so mundane.

Is it bad that I read this and my brain immediately started putting together ways to make this character both be awesome and fit with the setting?

Not really a bad thing to look at something and internally critique it. I often watch shows or read stories I would normally find stupid just to make a mental game of thinking how they could be made better or the characters actually fleshed out.

Not really a bad thing to look at something and internally critique it. I often watch shows or read stories I would normally find stupid just to make a mental game of thinking how they could be made better or the characters actually fleshed out.
This is, like, 90% of how I survived season 2 of the Carmen Sandiego reboot.

These are less specific to any individual characters, but are issues I constantly see in a lot of character submissions:

🗡️ When a CS asks for weaknesses and the list of weaknesses aren't even weaknesses. They are strengths guised as "weaknesses".

🗡️ When a character's personality is a paradox: Ex. She is shy and reclusive around people but fiercely loyal and will lash out and attack anyone that threatens her friends

🗡️ Characters that are conveniently orphaned, have memory loss, or some other such background that omits the player from having to actually write some depth to their character.

🗡️ Characters in their teens or early twenties that have a skillset that would take decades to learn and master.

These are less specific to any individual characters, but are issues I constantly see in a lot of character submissions:

🗡 When a CS asks for weaknesses and the list of weaknesses aren't even weaknesses. They are strengths guised as "weaknesses".

🗡 When a character's personality is a paradox: Ex. She is shy and reclusive around people but fiercely loyal and will lash out and attack anyone that threatens her friends

🗡 Characters that are conveniently orphaned, have memory loss, or some other such background that omits the player from having to actually write some depth to their character.

🗡 Characters in their teens or early twenties that have a skillset that would take decades to learn and master.

These are common issues among my campaign oriented friends. Though sometimes can work in certain RPs to an extent. In the 'story making' RPs I prefer, these things can be a real issue with the "I don't want to ruin the surprise" type.

In story building situations a personality can can balance out a OP situation. "My character has this instant death thing but doesn't like to kill unless . . . . . " can be interesting if done right story wise. Though a power in a more campaign setting won't work among other players.

Badly thought out personality is annoying regardless of RP type without real ability to build on it.

On the third these can work if they are actually thought out and have hidden back story.

The fourth can be annoying no matter what. Being gifted in somethings yes, but too often it's someone wanting a young still innocent or cute character that is just OP. And I hate OP when it glosses over real character development of learning their skills.

In story building situations a personality can can balance out a OP situation. "My character has this instant death thing but doesn't like to kill unless . . . . . " can be interesting if done right story wise. Though a power in a more campaign setting won't work among other players.
I'm talking about situations like Character X has nightmares that foresee the future, listed as a weakness. It's like... not really a weakness. If anything, it's a power and should count as a plus rather than a minus.

On the third these can work if they are actually thought out and have hidden back story.
IF being the key word. More often than not, it's just lazy writing. You can usually tell by the rest of the CS if it's very minimal that the player just didnt want to put the effort in.

The fourth can be annoying no matter what. Being gifted in somethings yes, but too often it's someone wanting a young still innocent or cute character that is just OP. And I hate OP when it glosses over real character development of learning their skills.
An example that comes to mind was a daughter of a mob boss. she was... 18, I think. But had all the skills of a hardened hitman/assassin along with Close combat prowess despite having a petite and girlish build. I was like... ick. Worst part is, the character got accepted. lol

These are common issues among my campaign oriented friends. Though sometimes can work in certain RPs to an extent. In the 'story making' RPs I prefer, these things can be a real issue with the "I don't want to ruin the surprise" type.

Badly thought out personality is annoying regardless of RP type without real ability to build on it.

Kid charature with stupidly skilled abilities are annoying or a bit dumb unless done right can totally agree. I think I saw once where they where like better at the skill for there age but where not experts just a way faster learner

I'm talking about situations like Character X has nightmares that foresee the future, listed as a weakness. It's like... not really a weakness. If anything, it's a power and should count as a plus rather than a minus.

IF being the key word. More often than not, it's just lazy writing. You can usually tell by the rest of the CS if it's very minimal that the player just didnt want to put the effort in.

An example that comes to mind was a daughter of a mob boss. she was... 18, I think. But had all the skills of a hardened hitman/assassin along with Close combat prowess despite having a petite and girlish build. I was like... ick. Worst part is, the character got accepted. lol

Yeah, I agree. Unless the character had issues that made the future telling a problem that got in the way that is a very con artist way of slipping in a OP power.

And yes IF is a big deal in many situations of whether or not something is a big character and plot point or a God Mod situation. I've been in many RP where someone says one thing bit the reality is they are just OPmarysuegodmod.

Then again my current long running RP I almost turned down due to the other person's character power. But a mix of an interesting issue of the power and them admitting they never RPedbut wanted to try to build the character led to me trying and the RP is in quite a long term run now.

Sadly the RPs that work in these situations is still very low . . . . . .

Kid charature with stupidly skilled abilities are annoying or a bit dumb unless done right can totally agree. I think I saw once where they where like better at the skill for there age but where not experts just a way faster learner

One reason I flat out have gotten to making no kid main characters a rule.

I put in a character with a back story of having to learn to do something and they put in some fourteen year old attention monger who WOW POW COOL instant better at stuff than literally ANYBODY!

No story or character development here. RP done already.

this dumb bitch Sara only makes magical girls

bruh, stop watching anime ffs
God, what an absolute pain in the ass. There's a guy I know named SP3CT3R who always wants to make magical boys.
Worst player, and character I ever met was a fella who would constantly one line in a forum where 1 lines under 10 words would get deleted. His character was ( in a school full of SUPERPOWERS - yes, this story is from when I would join those forums ) a normal fella, with a gun that could change ammo at will and had infinite ammo. That was it, that was the entire character. When characters that only had weapons as powers got banned he tried futilely to claim that ‘he controlled the gun so he was superpowered’, so no surprise, he got banned.
That seems pretty reasonable, if you ask me.

Worst player, and character I ever met was a fella who would constantly one line in a forum where 1 lines under 10 words would get deleted. His character was ( in a school full of SUPERPOWERS - yes, this story is from when I would join those forums ) a normal fella, with a gun that could change ammo at will and had infinite ammo. That was it, that was the entire character. When characters that only had weapons as powers got banned he tried futilely to claim that ‘he controlled the gun so he was superpowered’, so no surprise, he got banned.

Pfft...gun related superpowers are way cooler when they're in the form of enhanced sight or something, thus allowing for perfect shots.

Pfft...gun related superpowers are way cooler when they're in the form of enhanced sight or something, thus allowing for perfect shots.
gun related superpowers > psychic/physical/energy manipulation superpowers because... *yawn*

OK so once there was this guy with a character that could only be described as a total Mary Sue (male) overpowered self-insert generically annoying af character. What made this character elevate to a supreme level of awfulness was that not only was it an incredibly arrogant and pretentious character, but the character sheet, the goddamn character sheet was full of boasting about how great this character was. Not a sentence went by that wasn't some kind of superlative and smuggy mcsmugness and blowing of the own trumpet. The actual player was like this OOC too. They were (according to themselves) the best at everything, they knew more about x y and z than everybody, but the sad part was that you felt that the guy must have been really lonely and depressed to behave like that continuously. And his OOC handle was the same as his character name, so go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back