• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Sleipnir

The Eight-Legged Norse Horse
Hey! I’m looking to start up a Weird West roleplay here. I’m looking for a Wild West game with ghosts, demons, undead creatures, and all that good stuff. I’m looking at a darker, edgier tone, but I’d love to leave room for some lighthearted stuff too! Over all, the vibe is adjacent to Shadows of Brimstone if anyone’s ever played that. Exploring the weird west, dealing with monsters, helping folks and maybe occasionally taking out a gang of zombified and skeleton outlaws. Who knows, depends on where we feel like going!

I plan for this to be more character driven, with us setting ideas and goals up then going for them. I plan on starting in a small town called Grafton which has been seeing some problems with one or more monsters, but the details are foggy still.

I’d love to see if anyone is interested in such a thing, and if so, I’m down to take any ideas we might have! I’d enjoy a collaborative setting.

Hook // world setup

You know, those of us who have been here know the West was always wild, but not like this. There were always deserts, always bears and mountain lions and flash floods— but the real monsters, those are new.

The old timers’ll tell you it was a man from out East who started it. He came out here from Maryland, they say, looking for a fortune. He hopped on the train and thought he’d find it in the mines— building mineshafts, hiring pit ponies, hiring men to work ‘em. He sought gold, he sought coal… he found it at first. But the veins dried up real fast. The money stopped coming. Well, he didn’t know how to cut his losses— and they say you can teach a poor man to be rich, but you can’t teach a rich man to be poor. And he’d do anything to keep from being poor, including making a deal with the devil himself. They say he sold his soul to him… his own, and the souls of the twelve men working in the mines that day.

When that mineshaft collapsed and Satan took those twelve men, well… Hell really did break loose. Nearly indescribably monsters started crawling out of the ground: Out of cracks in the sandstone cliffs, out of the mines, out of caves— anywhere they could get out. They’d come into town, drag folks down into the ground with them. They’d destroy fields, kill livestock, raze towns given the chance, and oh, it changed the face of the west. They brought witches and magic of all kinds with them.

Everyone manages our new world a little different. Some embraced the witchcraft. They make charms and potions and elixirs to help or harm others. Some threw their lot in with the devils and the undead, taming shambling corpses or making pacts with demons. The government opted to send the army out here, hoping to handle it that way. They stationed officers and soldiers in larger towns, and in outposts, and sometimes it helps, but sometimes it doesn’t. Some folks didn’t do anything special at all, except decided someone had best do something about the packs of skeleton outlaws and hellhounds, and it might as well be them.

That’s the west we live in now. We live in a world where rough riders accompany travelers, run supplies, and protect towns. And there’s plenty of danger to go around.

Thinking steampunk style of world or just like Western with magic?
I wasn’t really planning for much in the way of steampunk on this one— mostly a low fantasy/low magic, grungy Wild West game. The way I’m thinking about this world, demons and undead and monsters and curses haven’t been around long enough for widespread innovations to fight it all off!

I haven't played the game either, but I'm down for some zombie shootouts. Totally interested!

Awesome! I may be stealing... a little lore from Shadows of Brimstone, but I really only reference it for the vague idea of the worldstate -- and then only vaguely! It's a boardgame that has... a lot of expansions and clearly has engagement, but I've never met people who are familiar with it, bafflingly.

Point being, no knowledge of that particular game necessary! I just mean to reference it as There's some low magic, demons coming out of mineshafts, all that good stuff!

never played the game, but interested

are realistic fcs allowed or would you prefer art?

You have me at "Some embraced the witchcraft"

Are these "some" inherently evil, or can they use their powers for good?

If you're still lookin' for folks, this sounds really interesting and I'd love to join in! :D

Yeah, apps are open! I haven’t even started looking at confirming characters yet. It’s been a busy week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back