• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Waltz in the Windy City [V:tM 20th] - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
WlfSamurai WlfSamurai If its ok with you, I went ahead and tweaked two of my Contacts to be actual Allies, and gave a bit of info on how I know each one in my Background spoiler.

Is there a game mechanic to raise Backgrounds like Contacts with XP like in Exalted, or is it only done through role playing?

WlfSamurai WlfSamurai I'm putting a character together as I type, but I may not have it completed 100% until perhaps Tuesday at the latest, since I need to take a long flight in between, would that be a problem? Also how old are our characters supposed to be on average? I get that we're using standard creation rules, but I was wondering if you have any cap on age? And lastly, if I were to make a character with Thaumaturgy or some Blood Sorcery, and wanted to purchase a few additional rituals, how would I go about that? since as written, there's no cost in freebies or exp for rituals.
Edit: are other books useable with approval? I may have a few merits from older books in the line that I may suggest for consideration.
So first, here’s the rule.

833354BC-86CB-4AD4-A633-DC5E36E5BC46.jpeg

So, then to start with more, we’ll need some kind of story with usable hooks and characters who teach them to you to accompany each new ritual.

Let’s start with some character questions.

Dianne
  • What do your nightmares usually consist of?
  • Where is your haven?
  • You’re obviously looking for your sire, and ultimately revenge, but what about the in-between. What do you do on a normal night?
  • How do you feed on a normal night?
  • Do you meet up with Mike Cutter regularly?

Claire
  • What does a normal night look like for you?
  • Do you keep your haven in your domain? Tell me about it.

Roxanne
  • How long ago did you arrive in Chicago?
  • Do you know anyone in the city?
  • You mention that your haven and feeding grounds haven’t been established. Can you tell me more?
  • It sounds like you haven’t had a “typical” night in Chicago yet. What do you plan to do to settle down?

Lily
  • Where is your haven?
  • Where are your hunting grounds and how do you feed?

• How long ago did you arrive in Chicago?
  • Do you know anyone in the city?
  • You mention that your haven and feeding grounds haven’t been established. Can you tell me more?
  • It sounds like you haven’t had a “typical” night in Chicago yet. What do you plan to do to settle down?
We're playing out her first night in Chicago right now. I'm not sure how far we'll get before the game proper starts, but I imagine a couple of days.

Claire and anyone else who shows up on Discord pre-game ;)

Atm, it looks like she's bunking with Claire, that's a penthouse on North Michigan Avenue. Feeding grounds is probably the local nightlife. She's a pretty girl who's pretty easy to pick up and then gets into a room with someone and leaves it alone some time later.

For now, learn about the city, learn about the wonderful new world of 2018 (if that's our starting year), meet interesting people, and maybe see how much of a garden it's possible to have in a pent house.

Dianne
  • What do your nightmares usually consist of?
  • Where is your haven?
  • You’re obviously looking for your sire, and ultimately revenge, but what about the in-between. What do you do on a normal night?
  • How do you feed on a normal night?
  • Do you meet up with Mike Cutter regularly?
Usually the events leading up to her Embrace; the attack by the gang where they beat her senseless followed by shooting her and leaving her for dead in the alley. Also, the Embrace itself. She had no preparation for the event, and it has troubled her greatly. She was a religious person, and now she sees herself as cursed in the eyes of God (and therefore repelled by the cross).

Not personally knowing the layout of the neighborhoods of Chicago, her apartment would be in a middle class neighborhood with blackout curtains in the windows. Her neighbors would know her to be a night owl for her work, so her transition to the total graveyard shift would not be out of character for her.

Dianne is still trying to wrap her head around the undead life, spending much of her free time with her Mentor trying to learn the rules of Kindred society so she doesn't get the Final Death. She also has her job to maintain, and thanks to the efforts of the Kindred in control of the police, her injury and loss of her undercover status has been explained away and she is now on sick leave until she 'recovers' enough to go back to work, at least at a desk where she can put her computer skills to good use for the department.

She probably wouldn't feed on a nightly basis, instead going out every few days to get her vitae. On nights that Dianne does feed, she would alternate between hitting the nightclub scene and hunting in the ghettos, looking for criminals to remove from the streets permanently.

Mike is very much focused on his work, so they wouldn't be able to meet up every night, but they do spend at least one evening a week together for a date night, sometimes just venting about work or hanging out and watching a movie together instead of anything more formal. This has been complicated since her Embrace, and she is trying to figure out just what to tell him about it.

Let’s start with some character questions.

Claire
  • What does a normal night look like for you?
  • Do you keep your haven in your domain? Tell me about it.

Like many Kindred, Claire can be a bit of a creature of routine. I imagine she has regular work nights at Northfield Labs where she does her research. She likely commits to at least one evening a week spent with the local Kindred, often at Elysium or a local event. Probably at least one evening of actually going to a cultural event for the event (Claire really likes opera). And possibly another evening a week for maintaining any friendships she has, mostly with the few local Kindred she deems non-psychotic. So probably 3-4 nights working, 3-4 nights playing Ventrue politics and indulging her interests. Thankfully, errands and chores are managed by various services.

As for havens, she has two. One is her penthouse suite in the old Montgomery Ward building (she's lived there since 1970). Which has a doorman, a private elevator, and a modest security system. The second is indeed in her domain. The current Northfield Labs facility was built in 2001 and included custom offices for her conveniently located in the dead center of the facility. Those offices conveniently include a bed and a selection of wardrobe, as well as comfortable amenities should she be on a roll and want to work three nights straight. It includes keycard access, basic security services, and the difficulty for any hostile being of having to go through a building with hundreds of employees where doing things like shooting guns or breaking down doors are impossible to do discreetly.

If other PCs do want to be a preexisting coterie, or who've cultivated a friendship with Claire, Northfield Labs has a nice central location for the city and the Haven includes comfortable enough accommodations (with the added perk of being based in an industrial biomedical research lab whose primary research focus means there's an ample supply of donated blood available (represented by Claire's Herd Background).

Lily
  • Where is your haven?
  • Where are your hunting grounds and how do you feed?

Haven: a Gothic-looking "greystone" across the street from a cemetery. (I'm imagining something like this NYC cemetery.) Lily owns the house, but rents out the flats in the upper floors and sleeps in a (quite legal) basement apartment whose windows are covered with blackout shutters. Family connections have made her a trustee at the cemetery, and she owns a set of keys.

Hunting: On the advice of her Uncle Jonathan, Lily bailed out a nearby funeral home that was near bankruptcy a few years ago and purchased most of their debt in return for...various considerations. Tastes like three-day-old food from the back of the fridge, but it sidesteps a lot of complications (logistical as much as ethical) and Lily was never a "foodie" in life anyway. (She does miss chocolate sometimes.) But there are times when the take-out joint isn't available, and then she has good cause to appreciate that her partners don't scream and struggle like those of her unfortunate relatives. It's an advantage to know so many people who are fascinated and even aroused by cemeteries! (Ah, the things that go on during flashlight tours, just out of the guide's eye!)

She's somewhat bemused by the rest of her family--how on earth can they enjoy their apertif with someone yelling in their ear? Isn't that bad for the digestion? Not that she's judging, of course, she adds primly, but it does seem like it would be a bit off-putting.

Last edited:
I'm sure with all the initial post stuff that will be going on there will be plenty of time for them to get their characters done.

That will also give everyone time to get to know one another.

Since it is January, what time of day is sunset in the Windy City? What day of the week is it?

Personally, I'm about two weeks old from my Embrace. But the rest are much older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back