• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
1661972329969.png
1661972379095.png
1634870353550.png

Mizuki |Francis | Antonio

Mizuki was perched on the windowsill, her gaze fixated on the dusty, empty lot outside. The world beyond the glass pane was serene, offering a brief moment of respite from the slight tension brewing inside the living room. Her sharp ears picked up on every word exchanged, her mind processing the information with a detached air. She could feel Theodore's gaze burning holes into her, but she refused to meet it, refusing to acknowledge the elephant in the room. The memory of his treachery was still raw, festering beneath the surface of her skin like a venomous wound. Mizuki knew she couldn't let him get under her skin, but it was easier said than done.

The mention of the Sorcerer's Academy acted as a sort of wake-up call for Mizuki, yanking her out of her thoughts and back into the present. She couldn't help but speak up. "I can go", she said, her voice cool and collected. Her eyes flickered around the room, taking in the surprised expressions of her companions as they turned to her in unison as if drawn by some invisible force. It wasn't lost on her that she had been unusually quiet since their arrival, but the vampiress had a habit of withdrawing into herself when she was lost in thought.

It was a statement that seemed to hang in the air for a moment, lingering like the sweet scent of cherry blossoms in the spring. The group exchanged glances as if trying to gauge her sincerity. Despite the shock that her sudden proclamation had elicited, the vampiress remained poised, her gaze steady and unyielding. She went on to state that she and Terra should be the ones to go to the Sorcerer's Academy because of their prior experience with sorcerers and their ability to communicate with them effectively.

The words tumbled out of her mouth with an air of confidence that belied the unease she felt at the thought of accompanying Terra. But she was determined not to let her discomfort show. As the words left her lips, Mizuki could feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. Her voice was steady, but her heart was pounding in her chest. The idea of being alone with Terra made her somewhat uneasy, but Mizuki knew that it was her responsibility to make amends for her past actions. She had to push aside her own discomfort and put the mission first. It was a difficult task, but Mizuki was determined to see it through. She would go to the Sorcerer's Academy with Terra, despite the knot of anxiety that was building in her stomach. She couldn't let her guilt consume her, not when there was work to be done. Mizuki took a deep breath and forced herself to meet Terra's gaze, hoping that the fae could see the sincerity in her eyes.

As Francis nodded in agreement, Theodore's voice cut through the air like a sharp blade. Another source of discomfort. She knew she couldn't avoid him forever, but the thought of being alone with him sent shivers down her spine.

Theodore's response to the werewolf task was surprising, his voice tinged with a welcoming note that didn't quite reach his guarded gaze. She shifted slightly on the windowsill to look outside once more, her movements languid and smooth, as if she were a predator lying in wait. She took a sip of her coffee, the bitterness on her tongue a stark contrast to the sweet relief of the world beyond the window.

Antonio noticed the faint traces of discomfort that lingered between Mizuki and Theodore, despite the latter's attempt to brush off the tension that simmered beneath the surface. While he had listened to Mizuki's venting about Theodore, he didn't harbor any ill will towards the man. But there was something else that gnawed at Antonio's mind as he contemplated the prospect of being alone with the vampire.

I’ve never met werewolves before, let alone knew they existed until just recently. It’ll be a learning experience. Antonio nodded to Theodore's statement, "I've always been curious about werewolves myself. And I'm sure we can learn a lot from them", he said with a smile, trying to mask the slight quiver in his voice.

Francis felt a sense of relief wash over him as the group finally came to an agreement on the plan of action. With the pairings set and everyone knowing their roles, he felt a sense of ease. As he clasped his hands together, a small smile crept up on his lips which helped his fangs flint under the artificial light, "Great, we're set, then!" he announced.

~
A Diplomatic Affair
Caelum & Francis​

As Francis and Caelum made their way toward the Black Market, the vampire couldn't help but be in awe of the beauty that surrounded them. The alleyways were narrow, yet they seemed to stretch on for miles, leading to hidden corners and secret nooks that were only known to those who frequented the area. The overarching bridges were made of stone, and their arches seemed to reach up towards the heavens themselves as if beckoning the gods to come down and take a stroll through the winding streets.

Every inch of the Black Market was steeped in ancient history, from the cobblestone streets that had been worn down by centuries of foot traffic, to the brick walls that had been erected to keep out unwanted visitors. The space around them was enchanted with magic, with water bubbles floating in the air like delicate balloons and orbs of light floating serenely among the shadows.

The lamp posts were enchanted to always burn bright, casting a warm glow over the marketplace that made everything seem just a little bit more inviting. And the storefronts were filled with magical trinkets and objects that seemed to dance and twirl in the air as if inviting passersby to come closer and take a look.

As Francis and Caelum made their way deeper into the Black Market, the vampire couldn't help but feel as if he had stepped back in time, to a world where magic was as common as the air that they breathed. It was a world that was both beautiful and dangerous, filled with secrets and whispers that could send even the bravest of souls running for the hills.

Francis had been lost in thought, his mind wandering down the cobblestone paths of memory, when Caelum's voice broke through his reverie. With a start, he refocused his attention on the present, meeting the angel's gaze with a steady look. "Yes, of course, Caelum", he replied, his voice low and smooth, "I am more than capable of accompanying you on this diplomatic visit".

But even as he spoke the words, Francis felt a flicker of hesitation. It wasn't his first time visiting the Black Market's mayor, but recent whispers of the demon Amon's growing influence had put him on edge. He knew that dealing with such a ruthless entity was always a risk, and he couldn't help but wonder if the mayor had become his pawn.

Speaking in hushed tones, Francis leaned in closer to Caelum. He couldn't risk being overheard by any of the walls or shadows that seemed to lurk around every corner in the Black Market, "...I must admit, I am a little hesitant", he said, his voice dropping even lower, "There have been whispers of the mayor's dealings with Amon in recent years, and I fear that he may have fallen under his sway".

Francis watched Caelum's face for any hint of recognition, any indication that he knew more about Amon's influence than Francis did. He had to admit, he was curious about the angel's experiences with demons. "Tell me, Caelum", he asked, his voice taking on a note of curiosity, "As an angel, have you ever had to deal with many demons in the past? Have you ever encountered Amon personally?".

~
The Werewolves' Nest
Theodore & Antonio​

As they made their way toward the commerce area of the Black Market, Antonio couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement with the promise of adventure. The chaotic space lived in the heart of the Market, and it was filled with all sorts of creatures jostling for space. This place never failed to make his senses come alive, a true feast for the eyes, ears, and nose. The vibrant colors of the displays were like a rainbow come to life, the scent of exotic spices and herbs a tantalizing perfume that made his mouth water.

As they wove their way through the crowd of creatures, Antonio couldn't help but feel a sense of awe at the sheer variety of goods on display. He marveled at the towering giants, their faces creased with age and wisdom, and the diminutive goblins, scurrying around like ants. The cacophony of sounds filled the air, the clanging of swords and the barking of dogs intermingled with the lively chatter of vendors and the cawing of crows.

Despite the chaos, Antonio felt a sense of comfort here. This place was familiar to him, a reminder of the countless times he had ventured into this magical marketplace. He always felt a rush of excitement when he came here, like a child entering a candy store for the first time. He loved to immerse himself in the sights, sounds, and smells of this fantastical world, and he relished the chance to explore its endless wonders.

As they approached a spice vendor, Antonio's nostrils flared with delight. The air was thick with the scent of exotic spices and herbs, each one promising a unique flavor experience. The vivid colors of the jars and bags were a feast for the eyes, and he found himself drawn to the jars of dragon pepper and fire salt, their vibrant hues like flames dancing in the light.

Antonio looked toward the vampire and watched as Theodore squinted, holding up the wrinkled slip of paper that Caelum had shoved his way before leaving Antonio's apartment. It was a jumbled mess of words and scribbles that seemed to make no sense to the vampire. Antonio smiled patiently his way as he asked out loud: Can you read what this chicken scratch is supposed to say? before offering the paper to him.

As a medic, Antonio was well-versed in deciphering even the most illegible of writings. He took the paper from Theodore's outstretched hand and scanned the list of ingredients. "...mmm, yes", he said after a pause, recognizing the items, "...let's see...this seems to be a gift basket of things. I'm reading...a moonstone talisman, a bottle of moonflower essence, a box of Silverthorn tea, nightshade ointment, dragon's blood resin, spiced wyvern's wing, dragon meat jerky, and unicorn meat jerky...", he listed off, looking to Theodore to see if he understood.

Each ingredient was fantastical in its own right, "Moonstone talismans are revered by werewolves as a powerful symbol of their lunar connection, while moonflower essence is made from the petals of a mystical flower that bloomed only under the light of the full moon. Silverthorn tea is sacred to werewolves and is believed to have potent healing properties, while nightshade ointment could ease pain and promote restful sleep", he informed the vampire, clearing his throat before continuing and handing the list of ingredients to Theodore, "Dragon's blood resin is a rare and powerful ingredient that could enhance the werewolf's natural abilities and provide protection from harm, while space wyvern's wing is a pungent herb that is harvested from the wings of wyverns. Used to dry meats. And...well, dragon meat jerky and unicorn meat jerky, is pretty straightforward. Unicorn jerky is pretty good, I tried it myself. It's marinated in honey and lavender", he stated, just making conversation as they wove their way through the marketplace.

~
The Academy
Terra & Mizuki​

Mizuki felt like she was walking through a fog as they made their way through the chaotic and bustling Black Market. Her thoughts were a tangled web, her emotions jumbled and confused. It was like she was carrying a heavy weight on her shoulders, one that made it hard to focus on anything else. As they walked, she was lost in her own world, her expression dull, grayed, and drawn.

But when Terra spoke to her about her past with sorcerers, Mizuki felt a tiny spark of interest ignite within her. It was like a ray of light piercing through the fog, cutting through the darkness and bringing a glimmer of hope. She hesitated for a moment, unsure whether to reveal the truth, but then she knew she couldn't keep up the lie any longer. So she offered Terra a nervous smile and a small sigh, "...actually...I-I don't have a past with Sorcerers...I just didn't want to go with...with Theodore...", she admitted shamefully, her nervous smile turning into a frown as she spoke his name, "...I didn't want to be stuck with him. I don't know much about Sorcerers, but I promise to be useful. I do have some diplomatic history due to my role in my clan. I observed Maximus and Samantha for many years. I know how to bullshit my way through things...", she assured.

Mizuki quickly moved on. They continued up the steps, and Mizuki tried to shake off the feeling of heaviness that had settled over her. She glanced around, taking in their surroundings, but her mind was still elsewhere. She cleared her throat while they made their way up, looking toward Terra, "...do you know the way to the Sorcerer's Academy? What's the quickest way of getting there?", she asked curiously, as they emerged from the market and stepped out from under the shadow of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Mizuki felt a sense of liberation. The crisp winter air bit at her nose and cheeks, bringing a flush to her skin. The cityscape was a stark contrast to the market they had just left, with its towering buildings and endless bustle. Mizuki looked at Terra, and it was as though she was seeing her through a new lens. The fae's features were delicate as frost. The sound of cars honking and people bustling seemed to fade away, replaced by the soft sound of the nearby river lapping against the shore.

She took in a deep breath, the cool air filling her lungs and clearing her mind. The sun was shining overhead, "So...where to?".

728532f564cbc3f8aa302566d848e0da.jpg

65fa2a6c0504319fc911ac318cc07d91.jpg
8e7caa5de7ad5a3d8a2273a291359498.jpg

A Diplomatic Affair
Caelum & Francis
Caelum’s worn sneakers tread over the stone streets below them with a rhythmic, steady scuffing, the angel too lazy and unwilling to properly pick up his feet when he walked. A quirk about him that sent a bolt of annoyance through frequent companions unable to tune it out, but any complaints have always passed through him like steam melting into the wide expanse of the sky.

His gaze was settled on Francis in his peripheral, not needing to pay full mind to the direction they were going. The black market was a place where he could list the location of every crack in the pavement. Merim’s office being no exception, the angel could navigate his way to the almost gaudily decorated building blindfolded. Much to his reluctance.

“I must admit I’m a little hesitant, there have been whispers of the mayor’s dealings with Amon in recent years, and I fear that he may have fallen under his sway.”

Ah, so there it was. Caelum turned to fully face Francis now, noting the hairline fracture of worry in his partner’s usually refined facade. The worry laced in the vampire’s features melted into a more relaxed, simplified curiosity when he asked Caelum of his experience with demons. His face twitched momentarily as he muffled a distant memory. Caelum then let out a low hum, the sound emanating deeply from his chest.

He ran a hand through his curls in absent thought. “Angels and Demons. Always have been painted as sort of--shadow and light, good and evil, yeah? Polar opposites, meant to repel from each other and never mix,” Dark eyes shifted to Francis lazily. Now in the shadowed area of the market, the dark of his pupil mixed with the rest of his iris until it was all one pool of bottomless, inky black. “Is it a surprise to you that things aren’t quite that simple? There are angels--certain angels that are capable of far, far worse than anything you can imagine a demon capable of. And demons--capable of far more good.”

Caelum cleared his throat, turning his head to face Francis better. “Look, I’m not trying to lecture you here. I’m just saying things are typically grey more often than they are a cleanly split black and white. Merim and I--we don’t have the best relationship. He doesn’t like me stepping on his neck and I don’t like him stepping on mine. When two people are slotted into similar positions of power it always causes--” His nose wrinkled in annoyance. “Tension. I hold a higher level of authority than him at the end of the day but--he’s been elected by the residents down here. How would I gain any trust from them if I just ignored the man they elected to represent them? No--I had to play his game.”

The angel sucked his teeth in disapproval, shoving his hands into his pockets. “Anyways--if I tried saying anything to Merim about Amon, he’d shove all my dirty deals with the bosses down here right back at me,” He sighed. “I don’t make it the biggest secret that I let certain things slide in exchange for less work for myself. The order doesn’t have time nor care to look into my daily business with too close an eye. You get what I’m saying? Merim and I had a bit of mutually assured destruction weighing over us. Partly why I’ve steered clear of him for so long,” He laughed, rubbing at the back of his neck. His shoe caught a loose rock, stride sending it skittering far in front of them into the shadowy distance. “His ego--the lack of competition enraged him. Which is what leads us to this,” He gestured lamely with a throw of his hand once they rounded a corner, the alley they emerged from opening up into a wide courtyard that led to the mayor’s headquarters. Benches, pristine landscaping and several booths selling newspapers and refreshments filled the large space. A thin crowd, all clad in formal attire milled about in hurried strides, no doubt with their own jammed schedules to attend to. At the end of the courtyard were two curved staircases that split around a large fountain before meeting together at what could only be described as--a grand entrance. “Merim is a bit of a fan of classic Greek architecture. As you can tell. Wants to stay in touch with his roots or--something like that,” Caelum mumbled in mock disgust. What a castle fit for a fucking king.

“We should be on our guard, I don’t trust that he won’t have something up his sleeve.” Caelum said, turning his body to fully face Francis now. He held the vampire's gaze, hoping to fully convey the weight of the situation.
02fbd7f919cadab4ccd9733a40f3a6a3.jpg

The Werewolves' Nest
Theodore & Antonio​

Theodore nodded silently as Antonio explained the situation, acting as if he understood each ingredient the man listed aloud. Truthfully, it was just as much gibberish to him as it had been reading it in Caelum’s awful handwriting. So when Antonio went in detail to the purpose of each item and their relevance to werewolves, Theo’s posture sagged slightly in relief. “So where can we buy all of this stuff? Is there like a convenience store or something that would have everything?”

His shoulders tensed now that they were in the busier areas of the market. His hand drifted absently to the amulet nestled securely around his neck, hidden under the layers of his clothes. Now with an official target hanging over his head, Theo felt an ever present sense of paranoia gently breathing at his neck. Holed away with Terra and Francis, out of the public eye while Caelum did his research was easy enough. But now that they had to put action to their plans, and he was exposed to the full eye of the public, the anxiety of being recognized and caught was heavy in every breath he took.

A sudden loud crash, sounded by a shattering beer mug from the bar over, sent the vampire's shoulders skyward, ripping a small gasp from him. “Sorry,” Theodore mumbled. His eyes drifted away from Antonio, embarrassment coating his posture. “Over there, Fortune’s Fare,” He read the hand painted sign aloud. “We could probably find what we need there, no?”

cd90a3f7b92e2d72c5a8e73e9872792b.jpg

The Academy
Mizuki & Terra​

Terra only blinked in response to Mizuki’s admission, her face flushing in embarrassment. “Oh--I,” She giggled lightly, hoping to brighten the gloom that had settled over Mizuki at the mention of Theodore’s name. “Well I’m flattered you were so willing to fib to the group to be paired up with me,” She winked, nudging into Mizuki’s shoulder playfully.

The late morning air felt like heaven when they emerged outside. Terra breathed in large gulps of it, eyes slipping closed as the sun broke free of a small cloud. “Thank the angels it’s a beautiful day out, no?” She sighed. The sounds of the city were not as dominant from their position, rather, serving as an ambient backdrop while they figured out their next move. “Ah--yes, I do know the quickest way to get there. I’ve only been once with Yun-Seo--er, Cecil to get some kind of certification paperwork he needed for a spell. The best way is by train, it’s a bit of a ways out into the country,” She admitted with an apologetic smile.

“Come on, let’s hail a cab and get into the city. We can look up the train schedule on the way.” The fae laced her arm with Mizuki’s urging the vampire forward, through the crowd of people mingling in the park and towards the main road. Despite the majority of her experience of the city being limited to the black market, Terra had no problem hailing them a cab within seconds. She smiled brightly at the driver before giving their destination and settling back into her seat. "When's the last time you've been outside of the city?"

1661972329969.png
1661972379095.png
1634870353550.png

A Diplomatic Affair
Caelum & Francis​

The vampire listened intently as Caelum delved into the complexities of angels and demons, dismantling the notions of absolutes and presenting a more nuanced perspective. The angel's words resonated within Francis, echoing through the depths of his own experiences and challenging his preconceived notions. He understood the intricacies of power and the delicate dance that was played when individuals occupied similar positions of authority. And, while he's never seen an angel in a light of corruption or a demon in the role of a saint...he felt compelled to believe Caelum, "I know nothing is black and white, I'm sure you have quite a few interesting stories to tell...but all I know is that Amon has a reputation...and before I allow any demon to prove its innocence, I will always assume its guilt and sin", he stated.

Caelum turned to face Francis directly, his voice filled with sincerity. He wanted to make it clear that he wasn't lecturing, but rather highlighting the complex nature of their situation. He explained the strained relationship between himself and Merim, acknowledging the inherent tension that arises when two individuals hold similar positions of power. Caelum admitted that despite his higher authority, he couldn't ignore the fact that Merim had been elected by the residents, and winning their trust required playing the game.

Francis nodded, understanding the delicate balancing act that Caelum had to maintain. He realized that navigating through this tension would require a strategic approach. His mind started churning with ideas, considering possible strategies to help them maneuver through the intricacies of their predicament. Francis was determined to find a way to protect their interests. With a focused gaze, he met Caelum's eyes, silently conveying his commitment to the task at hand.

Francis nodded, his gaze locked with Caelum's as he absorbed the weight of their conversation. He saw the frustration etched into Caelum's features, the disdain for the political games that were forced upon them. The notion of mutually assured destruction weighed heavily on Francis's mind, understanding the delicate balance that had been maintained between Caelum and Merim.

As they emerged from the shadowed alleyway, the grandeur of the courtyard and the mayor's headquarters unfolded before them. Francis observed the formal attire-clad crowd, the bustling energy that permeated the air. Caelum's warning resonated within Francis, causing a shiver to trail down his spine. He knew the danger that lay ahead, the treacherous path they were about to tread.

Caelum's words filled the air, detailing the delicate balance of power and the potential repercussions of exposing Merim's dealings with Amon. Francis silently absorbed the information, nodding occasionally to show his understanding and appreciation for the background Caelum provided. He recognized the importance of this intel as they prepared to navigate the turbulent waters ahead with Merim.

As they turned the corner, the sight of the grand entrance to the mayor's headquarters caught their attention. The juxtaposition of classic Greek architecture in the midst of the bustling market drew an inelegant snort from Francis, "It's certainly...overboard. Doesn't go at all with the aesthetic of the Market," he critiqued, unable to resist sharing his opinion.

A soft sigh escaped him, as the vampire's tone then shifted to one of reassurance and confidence, "...look, I understand your hesitance, and thank you for the background and for sharing. I think this is the most I've heard you talk in...ever", he teased, grinning down at the angel, "Don't worry, I deal with lions every day. We'll figure it out. I'm an expert in what I do and a total professional. I'm also good at keeping a keen eye out, so do not worry. This isn't my first rodeo, kid...", he assured, his usual cowardice nowhere to be found as they went up the steps of the mausoleum

Francis met Caelum's gaze with a steady intensity, a flicker of determination in his own eyes. He understood the significance of the situation and the need for caution. The weight of responsibility settled upon his shoulders, and he was prepared to face whatever challenges awaited them.

With his hand securely tucked in his pocket, Francis posed a question to Caelum, "Do you know if he's expecting us? Did you book an appointment, or are we showing up unannounced?", his curiosity was tinged with a hint of caution, aware that their approach could greatly influence the reception they would receive at the mayor's headquarters.

~

The Werewolves' Nest
Theodore & Antonio​

As they ventured deeper into the bustling marketplace, Antonio couldn't help but notice Theodore's apprehension. The vampire's shoulders were visibly tense, a subtle sign of the burden he carried. Antonio's empathetic nature allowed him to pick up on the subtle cues, and he understood the skittishness that Theodore displayed in the midst of the crowded environment.

The Black Market was renowned for its chaotic atmosphere, where creatures of all shapes and sizes converged. It was a melting pot of fantastical beings, with towering giants brushing shoulders with diminutive goblins. The air was alive with energy, a symphony of bustling activity that filled the senses. Antonio couldn't deny that the marketplace had a way of overwhelming even the most seasoned adventurers.

In this vibrant tapestry of life, it was not uncommon to encounter creatures larger than the average human, their imposing presence weaving through the bustling crowds. Their massive forms cast long shadows, and the ground seemed to shake with their every step. It was in this environment that Theodore's skittishness was understandable, as the sheer magnitude of the crowd could be suffocating. Antonio, too, felt the weight of the crowd pressing in on him, the swirling sea of beings threatening to engulf his senses. But he refused to let it deter him from his purpose. He knew that they had to stay focused on their mission, their determination guiding them through the sea of creatures.

Glancing at Theodore's hand reaching up to touch the protective amulet around his neck, Antonio recognized the familiar gesture of seeking solace and grounding in the face of anxiety. It was a small act, but it spoke volumes about the vampire's state of mind. Antonio silently offered his support. As they maneuvered through the crowded market, Antonio kept a watchful eye on Theodore, ensuring that they stayed together amidst the sea of creatures as he listed off the ingredients Caelum asked for them to purchase as a gift for the werewolves they were about to visit. He navigated with care, his senses attuned to the ever-shifting tides of the crowd. The air was alive with the chatter of countless voices, the clattering of hooves, and the flapping of wings, forming a symphony of chaos.

So where can we buy all of this stuff? Is there like a convenience store or something that would have everything?
Antonio paused in his explanation, a slight chortle of a laugh escaping him, "Nothing as sophisticated as a convenience store", he admitted, "But, there are certainly stands and holes in walls that should sell most of this", he assured.

As the lively market buzzed around them, a sudden crash shattered the air. Antonio's eyes darted toward the source of the commotion, his heart skipping a beat in response to Theodore's startled reaction. The vampire's shoulders were hunched, a quiet apology slipping from his lips. Antonio placed a comforting hand on Theodore's arm, his touch gentle and reassuring, "No need to apologize, my friend", he said softly, "This place can be overwhelming at times. As well as unpredictable. So, we should absolutely keep our guard up", he stated. At the mention of Fortune's Fair, though, Antonio nodded slowly in acknowledgment and recognition. Antonio's gaze followed Theodore's line of sight, landing on the hand-painted sign that proclaimed the name of their destination. Fortune's Fare, a place that held the promise of finding the elusive ingredients they sought. The name itself evoked a sense of possibility and chance as if fate itself would guide them to the treasures they sought.

"Yes, Fortune's Fare seems like a promising place", Antonio replied, his voice carrying a note of optimism, "It is said to be a treasure trove of rare and exotic goods. We may just find everything we need there. Keen eye!", he complimented. He gave Theodore a reassuring smile, a flicker of confidence in his eyes. With each step they took toward their destination, Antonio felt a renewed sense of purpose.

As they continued their journey through the market, Antonio couldn't help but feel a surge of excitement. The possibilities that awaited them at Fortune's Fare were endless. He imagined the shelves lined with vials and jars, each containing a fragment of magic waiting to be unleashed. Ah, how he loved shopping for ingredients.

The aroma of the market shifted the air thickening with a mixture of spices and anticipation. Antonio quickened his pace, his eyes scanning the crowd for the telltale signs of Fortune's Fare. He could almost hear the whispers of hidden knowledge that lingered within the walls of the establishment, beckoning them closer.

As Antonio and Theodore followed the winding path through the bustling marketplace, they finally arrived at their destination: Fortune's Fare, a hidden stand tucked away in a hole in the wall. From the outside, it appeared deceptively small, its humble façade giving no indication of the enchanting wonders that lay within. But as they stepped through the entrance, they were transported into a world of magic and intrigue, where the boundaries of space and possibility seemed to dissolve. The interior of Fortune's Fare was a sight to behold, like a treasure trove suspended between realms. The space seemed to defy the laws of physics, expanding far beyond what the modest exterior had suggested. Shelves lined with glass jars and woven baskets stretched into the distance, their contents glimmering with an otherworldly radiance. The air was thick with the scent of incense, mingling with the magical auras that danced and swirled like ethereal specters.

Orbs of various sizes and hues floated in mid-air, casting a soft, mesmerizing glow that bathed the space in a mystical light. They pulsed with ancient wisdom, their gentle illumination illuminating the path before Antonio and Theodore as they ventured deeper into the store. Each orb seemed to possess a story of its own, whispering secrets of forgotten realms and long-lost enchantments. The shelves themselves were adorned with intricately carved runes and symbols, etched into the wood with the precision of a master artisan. Each symbol held its own significance, a key to unlocking the mysteries of the ingredients and artifacts that lay within. The colorful jars and woven baskets were carefully arranged, their contents a testament to the vast array of magical ingredients from all corners of the world.

In one section of the store, the meat section, Antonio and Theodore found themselves surrounded by a tantalizing display of fantasy-themed meats and jerkies. The meats, carefully preserved and seasoned, seemed to beckon with their exotic flavors and mystical origins. Dragon meat jerky, with its rich and gamey aroma, seemed to radiate the fiery essence of the creatures it came from. Wyvern meat, tender and sweet, whispered tales of soaring heights and ancient legends.

As they moved further into the store, the produce section came into view, a cornucopia of fantastical fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Here, Antonio and Theodore discovered a bounty of rare and exotic spices, each more enchanting than the last. Dragon's blood resin, harvested from mythical trees, exuded a scent of power and protection. Manticore pepper, with its fiery intensity, seemed to capture the very essence of the desert sun. Amidst the displays of produce and spices, intricate talismans and amulets adorned the walls, their craftsmanship reflected the skill of skilled artisans. Moonstone talismans glimmered with a lunar brilliance, evoking a sense of connection to the celestial realms. The delicate moonflower essence, distilled from petals that bloomed only under the full moon, seemed to hold the very essence of magic within its fragile embrace.

Throughout the store, delicate incense burners exuded fragrances that seemed to transport the senses to realms beyond imagination. The air was alive with the intoxicating blend of scents, each one carrying a hint of the mystical and the unknown. The aromas of herbs and spices mingled with the sweet and floral notes of fairy dust, creating a symphony of fragrances that danced in the air. Fortune's Fare was a sanctuary of enchantment, a place where the boundaries between reality and fantasy blurred. It was a testament to the power of imagination, where the mundane was transformed into the extraordinary.
Antonio had gathered a basket from the front and recognized each item from the list, dropping it in and showing it off to Theodore so he could become acquainted with such strange and enchanting items. The register was being managed by a gargoyle who merely grunted to them in an ancient language, and it took Antonio several tries before he understood the final asking price for everything that they bought. In the end, they might have splurged a little too much, but the werewolves were an untrusting bunch. The more, the merrier, he supposed.

Antonio placed his coin pouch back into his pocket, turning to Theodore, "Seems like we got about everything, I believe", he hummed, looking over the list a second time, "Where to now?", he asked his companion, "What did Caelum instruct?".

~
The Academy
Terra & Mizuki​

As Mizuki walked alongside Terra through the chaotic and bustling Black Market, her thoughts and emotions swirled like a fog, obscuring her clarity and weighing heavily upon her. It felt as if she carried a burdensome weight upon her shoulders, one that made it difficult to focus on anything else. Lost in her own tangled web of thoughts, her expression grew dull and lifeless, a mere shade of its usual vibrancy.

However, when Terra spoke to her about her past with sorcerers, Mizuki felt a flicker of interest ignite within her, like a ray of light piercing through the dense fog. It cut through the darkness that enveloped her, offering a glimmer of hope. She hesitated, unsure whether to reveal the truth, but the weight of the lie became too much to bear. With a nervous smile and a small sigh, she confessed, her voice tinged with shame, that her claim of a past with sorcerers was nothing but a fabrication. She admitted her reluctance to be paired with Theodore, her frown betraying her true feelings towards him. Mizuki, however, reassured Terra that despite her lack of direct experience with sorcerers, she possessed diplomatic skills honed through her role in her clan. She had observed Maximus and Samantha for many years, learning the art of diplomatic maneuvering. With a touch of self-deprecating humor, she assured Terra that she knew how to navigate through situations using her persuasive abilities.

Terra's response to Mizuki's admission was a simple blink, a flush of embarrassment coloring her cheeks. In what seemed to be an attempt to dispel the gloom that had settled over Mizuki at the mention of Theodore's name, Terra let out a light giggle, hoping to infuse some fun into the conversation. With a playful nudge against Mizuki's shoulder, she remarked teasingly that Mizuki had told a lie just to be with her.

As Terra's playful nudge met Mizuki's shoulder, a spark of warmth ignited within her. The fae's giggle resonated like a soothing melody, chasing away the remnants of gloom that had settled within Mizuki's heart. At that moment, she realized the power of Terra's presence, the way her laughter could bring solace and heal the wounds of past conversations. Mizuki's gaze met Terra's, and her lips curved into a genuine smile, a glimmer of appreciation shining in her eyes.

"Well...", Mizuki's voice carried a hint of bashfulness, her cheeks flushing slightly as she gathered the courage to speak her mind. She felt compelled to express the depth of her feelings, to let Terra know just how much her presence meant to her, "I... truly enjoy spending time with you", she confessed, her voice laced with sincerity, "When we're together, something changes within me. I feel lighter and happier. I...like who I am with you. And... I think we work well together, too". With a final smile, they pushed forward toward the exit of the Black Market.

Moving on, they ascended the steps, Mizuki's attempts to shake off the heaviness in her heart proved successful thanks to Terra. Her gaze swept over their surroundings, her mind elsewhere. Clearing her throat, she directed her attention towards Terra, her curiosity piqued. She sought information on the route to the Sorcerer's Academy, the quickest path to their destination. Knowing Terra would know. Emerging from the Market's embrace, stepping out from under the shadow of the Brooklyn Bridge, Mizuki felt a sense of liberation wash over her. The cool winter air nipped at her nose and cheeks, bringing a rosy flush to her skin. The towering cityscape stood in stark contrast to the bustling market, its grandeur and ceaseless movement captivating her senses. Mizuki's gaze met Terra's, and it was as if she viewed her through a newfound lens. The fae's features seemed delicate, glistening like frost in the morning light. The cacophony of city sounds faded into the background, replaced by the gentle melody of the nearby river caressing the shore.

The late morning air, blessedly serene, greeted them as they stepped outside. Terra welcomed its embrace with open arms, closing her eyes momentarily as the sun broke free from behind a passing cloud, claiming it was a beautiful day with a voice carrying a note of relief. The clamor of the city receded into the background, serving as an ambient soundtrack while they pondered their next move. Terra's voice brimmed with a tinge of apology as she confessed her limited experience with the Sorcerer's Academy, having ventured there only once with Cecil for some necessary certification paperwork. She offered a warm smile to Mizuki, attempting to assuage any concerns before stating they should hail a cab, "No worries, we'll figure it out in case we get lost, but I trust you know the way", she assured, brushing away Terra's apologetic smile.

What surprised Mizuki though...was Terra's arm gracefully intertwining with hers, urging the vampire forward. It made her feel shy, but she didn't move to pull away. She simply drifted and followed wherever Terra guided her. As they maneuvered through the crowds, though, Terra asked when was the last time she had been outside the city, and...wow, that was a great question.

The words flowed seamlessly from Terra's lips, carrying a cadence that matched the rhythm of their journey. Mizuki looked up to the sky with a squint, "...I think...about three decades. I uh—Used to roam a lot when I was reborn", she admitted, as they traveled toward the edge of the street in search of a cab. Terra, with her charm, had no problem calling for a taxi, and soon enough they were both settled in the backseat of the car with a destination in mind, "...I was sort of in a haze, I don't really remember much of that time. Before I knew it, I then found myself in the care of an older woman for a long time. Eventually, she never came back and it was just me against the world, again. Though, this time, I was conscious", she looked to Terra, "...she left me a lot of money and the seal of the Lasombra. Before I showed up to them, I traveled the world and saw all kinds of people and cultures. But, once I joined the Lasombra...it was like a small prison. I didn't know it until just a week ago", she sighed, tilted her head back against the back of the seat, "...so, yeah, it's been a while since I had a chance to visit outside the city. I'm...excited, for a change of environment. I think we all need it", she stated.

Caelum, Francis | A Diplomatic Affair​

Caelum’s pulse grew louder in his ears with each step the pair ascended. His gaze was glued to the scuffed surface of his sneakers, but picked up when Francis echoed his reassurance. “Why do you think I picked you for this?” he smirked. His eyes lingered a beat longer, taking in the vampire’s physique with silent observation. Himself excluded, Francis was the oldest of their group. He had certainly loved, had certainly lost, and without a doubt had an excess amount of life experience that the others lacked. With his experience in the council to boot, it was a no brainer that the vampire was the most suitable choice for his partner in this. Caelum was not--good with people. He was good at presenting facts, at stone facing his way through the bull shit that the black market bosses liked to peddle to him, but his power and status as an angel is what closed his deals. Winning people over? He didn’t have the greatest track record.

The angel barked a laugh at Francis’ next question. “Expecting us? Hell no. I’d never give the bastard that kind of courtesy.” He let out a sigh, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his jacket now that they had crested the top of the staircase. Gleaming, wooden doors loomed large and impressive before them, almost as if it was attempting to swallow them whole. Knowing Merim, he assumed that had been the vision. “Though I assume by now he’s sensed my presence. It’s the only amount of notice he’ll ever get.”

The inside of the building made Caelum’s hair stand on end. It was like a bureaucratic hellscape. Polished floors gleaming back the burning yellow buzz of chandeliers, gaudy stone columns to carry on the influence of the exterior’s bold design choices. The sound of ringing telephones bounced high into the tall ceiling. A receptionist was seated at the center of a heavy wooden desk, the smile on her face like a gleaming half moon when Caelum’s person slid through the door.

“Mr. Albus how wonderful to see you again! It’s been quite awhile since you’ve had a visit with Mayor Frederick,” She chirped, voice impossibly cheerful. “I see you’ve brought a guest with you this time, how wonderful indeed.”

Caelum bit back a groan of annoyance, opting instead to clear his throat before asking, “Merim’s office still in the same place?”

She nodded quickly, auburn curls bouncing in perfect ringlets. “Of course, I’ll notify him of your arrival.” A quick smile before it gave way to an apologetic scowl at an interfering trill of the phone. She gestured with her hand to usher Caelum and Francis back before her cheerful voice picked up again. “City Hall, how can I help you?”

Caelum waved Francis to follow him as he strode deeper into the grand lobby. A staircase brought them up a level, revealing a maze of doors and hallways dipped off into fluorescent yellow light. “It’s not too far up ahead here,” Caelum reassured, posture slumping the closer they were to approaching an encounter he was rapidly beginning to dread. “Remember, we’re just here for some pieces of research Merim had blocked from me. Don’t let him turn us in circles and avoid the reason for this meeting in the first place.” He rubbed at the back of his neck. “He has a habit of dragging things out an agonizing amount. I swear it would kill him to simply cut to the point for once,” He scoffed, dark eyes rolling in annoyance.

Theodore, Antonio | The Werewolves' Nest​

Theodore strolled quietly by Antonio’s side, the soft sounds of his partner’s breathing dominating the vampire’s attention. There was an ambience to the daytime above ground, but one far quieter than he had grown accustomed to. The Werewolves’ den was located on the outskirts of New York, where the edge to edge buildings and never ending concrete gave way to natural life. Unsurprisingly, the werewolves’ location was situated close to a preserved park, giving them what Theodore assumed was plenty of hunting grounds.

He shuffled the bags within his arms with an edge of discomfort, the paper bags filled with their offerings sitting awkwardly. Fortune’s Fare had been--an eye opener for him to say the least. With everything compounding around him, it was easy for Theodore to forget that, compared to most of his companions, he was a newcomer to this world.

In her caring, Samantha had sheltered him almost too much--to a detrimental degree. Partly due to Theodore’s borderline feral bloodlust, she had kept him on a short leash, ignoring everything in the supernatural world she deemed unnecessary for him to know. As far as Samantha was concerned, they had nothing but time. Theodore had only been a vampire for thirty something years. A drop in the bucket for someone her age. Who could have suspected Maximus was planning something so vile in his dark corner?

Regardless, the wide expanse of fantastical goods put on display with great care within the general store had fascinated him. He had asked Antonio what felt like thousands of questions, but to his surprise, the necromancer had answered each one earnestly. He admired the excitement that lit up Antonio’s dark eyes, and for a second, Theodore was able to push the issues he was going through to the background. He couldn’t remember the last time he allowed himself to feel joy at something so simple. The air of the general store still floated weightlessly in his mind, warm scents that wrapped around his body and carried him gently aisle to aisle.

Theodore paused at a break in the sidewalk, where two buildings gave way to a small alleyway. The path between them was overgrown with weeds and tall grass, but a small path worn down to loose dirt cut a thin sliver down the middle. “I think we turn here,” Theodore said, mind turning backwards to recall the description Caelum had outlined. “Oh--wait, I have this little--” Theodore cut himself off as he dipped his hand within his pocket to pull out the crumpled paper with the angel’s directions, eyes scanning quickly over the scrawling ink. “392. That’s it,” He said with a shrug, eyes trailing to faded numbers stamped across a mailbox nearby. The comforting trill of birds fluttered in to feed on the silence between the two of them. Theodore rearranged the items in his grip to tuck the small piece of paper back into his pocket with a sigh. He could feel the cold chill of the forest creeping out with snaking tendrils, even at this distance. The last time he had been this immersed in nature was when Samantha had found him, shaking and nearly feral, barely surviving on what animal blood he could scavenge. This time was different. He was different.

Theodore smiled nervously at Antonio, nodding his head slightly to signal the man to continue forward with him. “You have much experience with werewolves? I’m actually excited to see what they’re like. Aren’t they supposed to be like--the natural rivals to vampires? Cats and dogs kinda thing?” The pair’s shoes crunched against dry earth as they walked deeper down the path, the familiarity of man made structures leaving them. In its place natural life began to blossom and swallow them whole, the rich hues of autumn eclipsing the blue sky above and casting them in shadow.

Terra, Mizuki | The Academy​

“I like who I am with you. And...I think we work well together too,”

Mizuki’s words echoed like a charm in Terra’s ears, the fae’s excitement bubbling over the top at her partner’s confession. After the doubt that had clouded the group from the incident between Mizuki and Theodore, she was glad to see the vampiress begin to smile and open up more. Hearing that she had a direct hand in that change within Mizuki made her chest buzz in excitement. It was a good feeling, bringing out the light in people.

“Three decades?” Terra gasped, her tone dipping into shock. “Well I’m glad you came with me today, the city can get so draining seeing endless concrete and steel and asphalt. It’s like a box,” she sighed dramatically. Although the black market was her home, Terra was still a child of nature. The pull of untamed wilderness still thrummed in her veins, and an insatiable itch would arise every now and then that would pull her from the stale environment of the city.

Her eyes softened hearing Mizuki’s explanation, heart tugging at how open the vampiress was being with her. After seeing her so isolated in the state she had been in only a week ago, Terra was grateful to see the vampiress begin to soften once more and begin to confide in others. “I’m sorry, that sounds awful. The Lasombra--I had only heard the name in passing, vampires aren’t really common in the black market,” She admitted. “But what I heard--it was never good. I’m glad you were able to make it out with me today but--I wish it wasn’t in such circumstances. The Academy is pretty stuffy,” She said with a wrinkle of her nose. “The only reason it was bearable the last time I visited was because of Cecil.” Terra’s smile was soft, dipping slightly into sadness when the nostalgia of her memory eclipsed her.
Memory of their adventure that day, hushed giggles breaking out through empty halls, hurried whispers telling dumb jokes as they sifted through endless papers. If she had known--if she had known back then that those days were limited, that they would fade out into the situation she found herself in now, Terra might’ve savored them longer. Allowed herself to embrace them for all they were--the negative and positive aspects.

The fae picked up conversation with Mizuki, updating the vampiress on the rowdy customers and unnecessary bar fights she had to break up over the past week working at The Dead Salamander, filling their time in transit with excited chatter. She supposed she was also trying to distract herself from dwelling on Cecil any longer--her focus had to remain on their task today.

“Mizuki, Mizuzki look! You can see it right there, we’re coming up on it now,” Terra said, her finger tapping rapidly against the window to their train coach. “Just there--covered with all that ivy.”

Caelum, Francis | A Diplomatic Affair​

Francis watched Caelum intently, catching the flicker of amusement in the angel's eyes as he smirked in response to Francis' reassurance. The vampire knew that Caelum had chosen him for this task for a reason, perhaps recognizing Francis' age and life experience as assets in navigating the delicate intricacies of their mission. He was every bit the diplomat the Council made him to become. Francis had seen it all—the joys, the sorrows, and the complexities of human nature. Creatures of all shapes and sizes. His long years on this earth had taught him the art of diplomacy, the ability to read people and situations with a discerning eye. And, to know when to run.

A chuckle escaped Caelum's lips at Francis' question about Merim's expectations. The angel made it clear that he would never grant the mayor the courtesy of expecting their arrival. Francis smiled in amusement in return and nodded in understanding, fully aware that their presence would not go unnoticed by Merim, given Caelum's distinct aura. It was a calculated move, ensuring that their encounter with the mayor was on their terms, not his.

As they stepped inside the mayor's headquarters, Francis couldn't help but feel a chill run down his spine. The grandeur of the building was undeniable, but it carried an air of bureaucratic coldness. Reminded him a lot of the Council. The polished floors reflected the glow of the chandeliers above while imposing stone columns punctuated the opulent interior. The sound of ringing telephones echoed through the high-ceilinged space, adding to the cacophony of the bustling atmosphere.

Their reception by the cheerful receptionist brought a mix of annoyance and resignation from Caelum, but Francis maintained a polite smile, acknowledging her greeting. He even found himself leaning against the counter in a calculated manner, his smile turning a little roguish as they stared down the cheerful little thing. He observed the interplay between the receptionist and Caelum, noting the feigned cordiality that masked the underlying tension. The mention of Merim's office being in the same place confirmed their destination, and Francis followed Caelum's lead as they made their way deeper into the labyrinthine corridors. He mouthed a soft: have as lovely as a day as you are, to the receptionist before sending a wink and a wave her way. He then held a kick to his step as they motioned forward.

The staircase led them up a level, and Francis couldn't help but feel a sense of unease settle over him. The anticipation of the impending encounter with Merim weighed heavily on his mind, and he understood Caelum's apprehension. The angel's reminder to stay focused on their objective resonated with Francis, who knew firsthand the mayor's tendency to obfuscate and evade.

Nodding in agreement, Francis maintained his calm composure, his gaze steady as they approached their destination. The prospect of facing Merim's long-windedness and manipulation did little to assuage his growing discomfort. Yet, he steeled himself for what lay ahead, knowing that they had a mission to accomplish and information to uncover.

"Yes, I'll stay vigilant and ensure we keep our wits about us...", Francis replied, his voice carrying a quiet determination, "Well be fine, we won't let him divert us from our purpose. We'll navigate his game with precision and tenacity, ensuring that we leave with the answers we seek. Everyone in the Council plays that stupid game, I know how to ensure we stay on the right track", he ensured, sounding confident with each step he took.

However, as they moved forward, Francis could feel the tension in the air thickening, as if they were walking into the heart of a storm. Francis and Caelum continued their ascent through the labyrinthine corridors, climbing one staircase after another, traversing seemingly endless hallways. The grandeur of the building seemed to stretch on indefinitely, its architecture becoming increasingly repetitive. Francis's discerning gaze caught a pattern emerging among the portraits and doors lining the walls. It was a disconcerting realization that gnawed at his instincts, fueling his growing unease.

After several minutes of walking, Francis couldn't ignore the nagging suspicion any longer. He came to a sudden halt, his eyes narrowing as he surveyed their surroundings with a sharp, critical gaze. The unease in his voice was palpable as he voiced his concerns to Caelum.

"Caelum...Caelum something isn't right", Francis hissed under his breath, his frown deepening. His instincts screamed at him, and his vampire senses tingled with a heightened awareness. The tension in his body grew as his fangs bared slightly, a primal reaction to the threat that loomed. He had encountered illusions and tricks before, and this situation felt all too familiar.

"Merde...", he muttered, the French curse slipping past his lips. The realization hit him like a punch to the gut, "I think we're trapped in some sort of loop, Caelum", Francis admitted, his voice laced with a mix of frustration and concern. The repeated patterns and the absence of progress only confirmed his suspicions.

The vampire's mind raced, analyzing their options. They had to break free from this loop and find their way to Merim's office. But how? Francis's eyes darted around, searching for any signs or clues that might lead them out of this twisted maze. He was on high alert, ready to confront whatever illusions or obstacles lay in their path.

"We need to find the source of this illusion, the focal point that's keeping us trapped", Francis suggested, his voice firm with determination, "Stay close, Caelum, lest we both get separated in this trap...Let's trust our instincts and keep moving. We'll find a way out of this and reach our destination".

~

Theodore, Antonio | The Werewolves' Nest​

In Fortune's Fare, Antonio felt a sense of satisfaction as he placed each item carefully into the basket, his hands moving with practiced ease. The exotic and mystical ingredients they had acquired from Fortune's Fare seemed to hum with a mysterious energy, filling him with a sense of wonder and anticipation. The register, manned by a stoic gargoyle, seemed almost out of place amidst the enchanting atmosphere of the store. Antonio couldn't help but be intrigued by the ancient language the gargoyle used to communicate, a testament to the rich history and tradition that permeated every corner of the Black Market.

Counting the coins in his pouch, Antonio couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt at the thought of spending too much. But he knew that the werewolves they were dealing with were wary and cautious, and providing them with an abundance of supplies would only help to build trust. With a sigh, he closed the pouch and returned it to his pocket, turning to Theodore with a warm smile.

Seems like we have everything we need. Antonio's voice resonated with a sense of accomplishment and contentment as he hummed softly, his words permeating the air with a subtle satisfaction. The weight of their progress seemed to settle upon his shoulders, adding a touch of assurance to his demeanor. His eyes, dark and full of purpose, scanned the list once more, their gaze dancing across the words as if etching them into his memory. Each item on the list held significance, representing a piece of the puzzle they were assembling in their quest.

A subtle smile curved the corners of Antonio's lips as he surveyed their bounty. The basket cradled in his hands was no longer just a vessel for their purchases; it had transformed into a symbol of their determination and resourcefulness for the werewolves. The sight of the carefully selected items nestled within its confines stirred a sense of anticipation within him, igniting a flicker of excitement for the journey that lay ahead.

As they walked side by side, Antonio couldn't help but notice Theodore's unease, the shifting of bags in his arms betraying his discomfort. The vampire's unfamiliarity with the supernatural world was apparent, and Antonio found himself filled with a mix of empathy and admiration for his companion's willingness to learn and adapt. Though, he quietly wondered why Theodore seemed to crawl around like a young babe in the world of the supernatural. Wasn't he decades older? Shouldn't he have explored the world he was a part of?

The excitement and curiosity in Theodore's eyes ignited a spark within Antonio, a reminder of the beauty and magic that surrounded them. He answered each question with genuine enthusiasm, reveling in the opportunity to share his knowledge. At that moment, Antonio felt a sense of joy that had eluded him for far too long. The scents of the general store still lingered in his mind, the warm aromas wrapping around his senses and transporting him to a world of wonder.

Theodore paused, bringing their journey to a temporary halt at the break in the sidewalk. The small alleyway beckoned them forward, its overgrown foliage and tall grass forming a path that seemed to lead into the heart of the wilderness. Antonio observed his companion closely, noting the focused expression on Theodore's face as he recalled the details of Caelum's description. The werewolf's fingers delved into his pocket, retrieving a crumpled piece of paper that held the angel's directions. Antonio's eyes followed the swift movements, absorbing every detail with a keen and attentive gaze. He kept quiet, obediently following Theodore.

A sigh escaped Theodore's lips as he slid the paper back into his pocket, the weight of their purpose settling upon him. The surrounding silence was filled with the melodic chirping of birds, their presence providing a sense of comfort amidst the unknown. Adjusting the bags in his grip, Theodore's body language reflected a mixture of determination and trepidation. Antonio could sense a subtle shift in his companion, an internal transformation that had taken place over time. The memories of his past struggles and his journey alongside Samantha resurfaced, intertwining with the present moment.

As they ventured further into the wilderness, the dense shrubs and vibrant flora seemed to envelop them, creating an enchanting and immersive atmosphere. Antonio's gaze wandered through the thick foliage, taking in the beauty of nature's embrace. Yet, beneath the surface, a niggling sense of unease stirred within him. The fog that began to settle around them felt different, almost otherworldly. It clung to the air with a tantalizing scent, evoking a suspicion that it held a touch of enchantment, a clever ruse to ensnare unsuspecting wanderers and lead them astray.

Antonio hummed softly, his thoughts racing as he pondered the possibility of this fog concealing the true path to the werewolves' den. He chose to keep his concerns to himself, wary of burdening Theodore with unnecessary worries. With each step they took, the fog thickened, its veiling presence shrouding their surroundings in an ethereal haze. The familiarity of the urban landscape had faded, replaced by the wild and untamed wilderness that whispered secrets into the wind.

Their journey continued, guided by Caelum's directions and fueled by their determination. Antonio's heart thudded in his chest, a steady rhythm that echoed in sync with the cadence of their footsteps.

You have much experience with werewolves? Theodore smiled nervously at Antonio, his eyes reflecting a mixture of curiosity and anticipation. The question lingered in the air, and Antonio turned to face the vampire with a mild amusement dancing in his green eyes, "...mmm, werewolves", he mused, his voice laced with a touch of contemplation, "I personally don't have much direct experience with them, unfortunately. They tend to avoid me in the black market, perhaps due to what Mizuki described as my...unpleasant scent. I suppose they think I smell like death", he sighed, a hint of resignation in his voice.

However, Antonio's passion for knowledge shone through as he reached into his coat, retrieving a worn pocketbook filled with an array of handwritten notes. He proudly displayed the little red book to Theodore, its pages yellowed and weathered by time, "But, I have studied up on them extensively", Antonio declared with a glimmer of excitement, "In fact, I study up on every creature I can. This book contains everything I have ever learned about every single creature - their general likes and dislikes, their peculiarities, and their unique traits. My ultimate goal is to compile all this knowledge into a published book, a compendium that will bring us all a little closer and foster a better understanding of one another. Wouldn't that be nice?", Antonio's smile radiated warmth and enthusiasm, his eyes shining with the hope of forging connections between different beings, "...as for the rivalry with vampires and werewolves, there is a bit of tension...probably due to the same reason as to why they avoid me. You too also smell like death to them, and their instincts don't allow them to trust that. But, they were very wise creatures, I'm sure they'll listen to reason".

As they continued along the path, the fog grew denser, wrapping its tendrils around them like a mystical shroud. Antonio's keen senses picked up on a nagging feeling of repetition, a sense of traversing the same familiar landscape over and over again. He furrowed his brow in confusion, his gaze scanning the surroundings, "Actually...now that I think about it, it does feel like we've been walking for quite a while...don't you think?", Antonio admitted, a touch of uncertainty tinging his voice. The thick fog distorted their perception, and the gnarled trees seemed to blend together, casting eerie shadows in every direction. Doubt crept into Antonio's mind as he questioned their progress.

~

Terra, Mizuki | The Academy
Mizuki's heart fluttered as Terra's eyes lit up with excitement, her partner's joy palpable in the air. The vampire felt a surge of warmth within her, grateful that Terra's presence had brought about such a positive change in her. After the recent tensions within the group, Mizuki cherished this newfound connection and the way it made her feel. Terra's words resonated deeply within her, reinforcing the bond they were forming. It was a relief to see the fae's bright smile and to hear her words of encouragement. Mizuki couldn't help but reciprocate the smile, her expression softening as she realized how much she appreciated Terra's company and the comfort it brought her.

Terra's gasp of disbelief at how long it has been since she left the city caught Mizuki off guard, and she chuckled softly at the fae's dramatic sigh. She understood the sentiment behind Terra's words, having spent so much time confined within the urban jungle of the city. The vampiress too longed for the embrace of nature, for the sight of endless greenery and the sounds of birdsong. The city, with its concrete walls and ceaseless noise, often felt suffocating. Mizuki found solace in Terra's understanding, feeling a kindred spirit in their shared longing for the untamed wilderness.

Mizuki's gaze softened as Terra expressed her sympathy for the hardships one faced being trapped with the Lasombra. The fae's words carried genuine concern, and Mizuki could sense the sincerity in her voice. She appreciated Terra's honesty about her limited knowledge of vampires and her acknowledgment of the Lasombra's reputation. Mizuki nodded, understanding that the Academy might not be the most welcoming place for someone like her. The mention of Cecil brought a mixture of fondness and sadness to Terra's smile, and Mizuki couldn't help but wonder further about the fae's past with the sorcerer. There was a hint of longing in Terra's eyes, a wistfulness that hinted at memories tinged with both joy and sorrow, "...well, I'll make sure to make it as bearable for you this time around, as well...We'll. make a day out of it, you'll see", she insisted softly, resting a hand on top of Terra's.

As Terra continued to share her experiences at The Dead Salamander, Mizuki listened intently, savoring the distraction from her own thoughts. The rowdy customers and bar fights painted a vivid picture in her mind, each detail adding to the vibrant tapestry of Terra's stories. Mizuki appreciated the fae's efforts to keep their conversation light, knowing that their focus needed to remain on the task at hand. She admired Terra's ability to find solace in the midst of chaos, her resilience shining through.

Their conversation flowed effortlessly, creating a sense of camaraderie between them thankfully. As they journeyed toward the Sorcerer's Academy, Mizuki couldn't help but feel a renewed sense of purpose and determination. She was grateful for Terra's presence and the way their connection had blossomed, a flicker of hope guiding them forward.

As the car rolled forward, Mizuki's gaze followed Terra's pointing finger, her eyes widening with anticipation. The landscape outside began to change, shifting from the urban sprawl of New York to open fields of green and overarching trees. The sight of the Sorcerer's Academy came into view, its grandeur evident even from a distance. Covered in a lush coat of ivy, the academy seemed like a relic of a bygone era, its stone structure exuding a sense of history and wisdom.

Mizuki couldn't help but let out a low whistle of admiration, her breath catching in awe at the sight before her. The gargoyles perched atop the towering gates seemed to watch their every move, their stone eyes peering down with an air of vigilance. The academy's entrance was a gateway to a world of magic and knowledge, and Mizuki felt a mix of excitement and nervousness flutter in her chest.

As they arrived at their destination, Mizuki and Terra stepped out of the cab, paying the driver with a grateful nod. With a shared understanding, they motioned towards the footsteps that led into the main foyer of the Academy, the weight of their purpose guiding their steps. The entrance was adorned with intricate carvings, each detail speaking of the Academy's rich history and tradition.

Approaching the receptionist, Mizuki and Terra inquired about the location of the library. The receptionist pointed them in the right direction, and they followed the cobblestone pathway that led them through gardens of vibrant roses and past large, antique fountains that whispered soothing melodies. The scent of flowers hung in the air, mingling with the faint sound of trickling water.

Finally, they arrived at the entrance of the library, and Mizuki's eyes widened in wonder. Stained glass windows adorned the walls, casting a mesmerizing kaleidoscope of colors that danced across the shelves and books. The library seemed like a sanctuary of knowledge, its beauty a testament to the profound wisdom contained within its walls.

Mizuki paused for a moment, her gaze enraptured by the splendor before her. With a gentle tug on Terra's sleeve, she directed the fae's attention towards a figure standing near the circulation desk, likely the librarian. Mizuki's voice held a touch of uncertainty as she turned to Terra, "...should we ask her for help?".

7979f49bdb13ebabcfec2940f8784f2a.jpg

A Diplomatic Affair
Caelum, Francis

Their heavy footsteps fell to the back of Caelum’s mind, the angel’s focus gravitating to the looming shadow of Merim’s influence. What a fucking thorn in his side. Ever since the crafty centaur had weaseled his way into office it had been one headache after another. Everything was a game or a struggle for power. So, when the required documents he sought after to unearth Maximus’ designs on Cecil surfaced with layers of red tape, he could only roll his eyes.

Dark eyes shifted cautiously to Francis, confusion floating shallowly within them. “What do you mean?” He asked, heavy brows knitting at his forehead. It was only then that Caelum began to focus his energy outwards, eyes roaming over the details of the hallway they were traveling down. “Oh--wait no you’re right,” He murmured, eyes flicking from one door to the next. They passed the treasurer’s office five minutes ago at the very least. They should be at Merim’s office by now.

Knuckles turned white as Caelum curled his hand into a fist by his side. He refused to believe he would have walked so easily into some trap set by the mayor. Was he really this out of practice? “A loop? Futue te ipsi Merim,” he muttered under his breath. A thin coating of anger began to wash over the angel, his angelic energy beginning to swell in response, nearly sucking the air out of the already stuffy hallway. He was sure Merim was somewhere watching, fat smirk carved into his impish expression, but Caelum was beyond saving face. He was pissed--he wanted Merim to know it.

He offered Francis one stiff, curt nod in response before allowing the vampire to take the lead. He stalked behind, gaze razor sharp as it raked across each door. Sure enough, after several moments the door numbers began repeating, the edge of the hallway remaining an infuriatingly fixed point in the distance.

Caelum froze, fingers reaching out to pinch the back of Francis’ shirt as the vampire was continuing onward cluelessly. “He’s playing with us now,” the angel sighed. He was turned to face one of the rich mahogany doors, marked 999. The gold nameplate was polished to a brassy shine, neatly displaying the name printed within it. Caelum Albus.

He glanced towards Francis, sheepishness overtaking his gaze and turning his eyes towards the floor. “I’m sorry, I should have seen through this. Lack of foresight on my part. My uh--my powers aren't strong enough to break whatever magic he’s using to keep us trapped in here,” He bit the inside of his cheek. “I fear we just have to play his little game.”

The angel gave a heavy sigh, hands moving to knot into his thick curls. His hand felt impossibly slow as he reached out towards the door handle, millions of possibilities on what could stand behind that door flashing in his mind. The metal of the handle felt like ice on his skin, sapping away any body heat immediately. After a moment of hesitation, he turned the knob.

The first thing that hit him was the blood. It was everywhere, spattered on the floors, the smell of it thick in the air. It attacked his senses like a hungry predator lying wait in the dark, leaping out in full force when catching its prey unaware. The metallic scent coated his tongue and dripped down his throat, making the angel choke back a gag from bubbling up within his chest. The next thing he noticed was the weightless flutter of loose feathers scattered about the room. There was a figure in the center of it all, their posture rigid. In their hand was a steel blade, its silver sheen tainted by dark splotches of red. The figure turned, hair obscuring their features, and Caelum slammed the door shut.

He took a shaky step back, swallowing hastily. “No--no fuck this. I’m not playing this game,” he stuttered out. The angel looked like he had seen a ghost, expression stricken. “Let’s keep going. Like you said there’s gotta be some kind of trick to getting out.” He ran a hand through his hair, fingers gripping the strands tightly while he paced.

c6d961dde8ff7fa7d7a361655c7383bc.jpg
6fe1ca2eb1f70be8f9bf93d78d8f5aad.jpg

The Werewolves' Nest
Theodore, Antonio, ????

“Oh--ah,” Theodore chuckled nervously. “I suppose that makes sense,” He said with a tilt of his head. “Though can’t that be said for vampires as well? I mean--technically I’m also undead?” He said that last part as a question, misty eyes squinting in confusion as he tried to iron out the technicalities in his mind.

He nodded along to Antonio’s words to show the necromancer he had his attention. A small red book surfaced from Antonio’s person, sending Theodore’s eyes to grow wide in intrigue. He was unable to hide the glittering spark that sputtered to life within his eyes. A comprehensive guide to every creature Antonio had studied? Based on his doe eyed stare throughout fortune’s fare as the young vampire became exposed to items and creatures he only read about in fantasy, it was a much needed asset for catching him up to speed on the complexities of their world.

“That’s awesome dude!” Theodore exclaimed, wide smile breaking out across his face. “I’ll be your first buyer, throw in an autographed copy for me,” He winked with a boyish laugh.

He swallowed back the giddy excitement that overtook him, having ridden the wonder of fortune’s fare a bit too much. Antonio’s words brought him back to their focus. They would have to find some way to win the werewolves over, or at the very least, listen to their request.

Theodore exhaled a sharp breath. “Let’s keep our fingers crossed then, eh?”

His eyes turned down towards his feet then, letting his own train of thought begin to run slowly in the silence that flooded between them. Each step forward swirled the fog in thick spirals outward, almost like he was wading knee deep in a placid lake. Theodore’s head snapped up, wait--when had the fog gotten this thick? “I--I don’t know honestly,” He responded to Antonio, fumbling around the items in his hand as he fished for Caelum’s directions. “I don’t think Caelum had really listed out how long we’d be walking for--uh--shit,”
He cursed under his breath as the thin paper fluttered to the ground.

The vampire kneeled down to grab the crumpled paper from the floor. His body was hit with a wave of unease, the soft feel of it wrapping around his throat. Theodore swallowed hard. His gaze traveled around the fog laden forest, passing around the dark shadows of tree trunks and vegetation. He couldn’t put his finger quite on why but--it felt like they were being watched. The sear of a gaze was burning into his skin, making him writhe internally.

“Uh--” His voice wavered as he focused on the paper now recovered from the ground. “He doesn’t really mention anything about fog but--he says that the nest should be a bit of a ways away from the path. Maybe it’s just a--i don’t know--trust your gut kinda thing,” He shrugged, trying to maintain lightheartedness so as to not spook the necromancer. His pupils narrowed slightly, senses beginning to sharpen at the threat of danger.

Theodore cleared his throat, focusing on the rhythmic pattern of their footsteps thumping into packed earth. His gaze roamed out of instinct while they walked--eyes unable to commit to one spot for longer than a second. He lost track of how long his vigilance began to grow, feeding on his paranoia, until the shuffled movement of a bush in the distance sent his shoulders skyrocketing.

Fuck!” He breathed out, voice heavy with adrenaline. “Antonio something--something I don’t know, something’s tracking us. Can you feel it?” His eyes whipped around with blind panic, onyx pupils narrowed into thin slits. Theodore hugged the paper bag closely to his chest, the texture wrinkling softly in response.

“Come out!” He yelled, but it felt useless. His voice seemed sluggish in the dense fog, struggling through the heavy air. “We know you’re tracking us!” Theodore looked to Antonio, eyes pleading for the necromancer to have some kind of plan.

“Relax, relax,” A smooth voice sounded from behind them. “No one’s tracking, anyone. Let’s cool it with the accusations, yeah?”

A figure leapt from a tree in the distance behind them, landing effortlessly on the slick coating of fall leaves that blanketed the ground beneath their feet. He stood, lean figure melting into a cocky stride as he began to circle around them. “Besides, is it really considered tracking if you two are the ones trespassing on ground that doesn’t belong to you?” The stranger's expression was dipped in a noxious smugness, eyes boring into the two of them with distrust as he paced.

Caelum, Francis | A Diplomatic Affair

Francis sensed Caelum's confusion and took note of his serious expression. He knew that the angel was not one to make such mistakes, and the fact that they seemed to be stuck in a loop was unsettling. As Caelum's anger began to rise, Francis knew that they needed to find a way out of this situation quickly.

He continued to lead the way down the hallway, his vampire senses on high alert. The repeated door numbers confirmed that they were indeed trapped in some kind of loop, and Francis couldn't help but feel a sense of frustration building within him. He was used to being in control, but in this situation, he felt completely at the mercy of Merim's tricks.

When Caelum reached out to stop him, Francis turned back to face the angel, his own brows furrowing in concern. He's toying with us, Caelum said with a sigh. Francis nodded in agreement, his jaw clenching with determination. He couldn't let Merim get the better of them.

As they stood in front of the door marked '999' with Caelum's name on it, Francis's fangs pressed against his lower lip. The sight of the polished gold nameplate made his blood boil. Merim was clearly enjoying this game of cat and mouse. But, what did the numbers mean? Why Caelum's name.

"We need to find another way", Francis said, his voice low and steady, trying to stay optimistic, "There must be a hidden passage or a secret door somewhere. There has to be a way he can outsmart him...".

Francis scanned the walls and the floor, looking for any sign of an opening or a clue that could lead them out of the loop. His senses were heightened, but the fog and the magic surrounding them made it difficult to pinpoint anything.

"Caelum, stay focused...", Francis said, his eyes meeting the angel's,"We'll get out of this. We just need to keep our wits about us and stay one step ahead of him".

Francis paused his searching behind the angel, a hand resting over the wall beside him as if to search for a hidden door, and watched as Caelum hesitated before opening the door with his name plastered over it. As the door swung open, the sight that greeted them was enough to make Francis's heart sink. The smell of holy iron mixed with blood assaulted his senses, and he couldn't help but feel his vampire instincts scream with hunger. He tried to fight the urge to give in to his cravings, knowing that indulging in such desires could lead to disaster. With a trembling hand, he slapped a hand over his nose and mouth, trying to block out the enticing smell.

His mind raced with conflicting emotions as he looked at the figure in the center of the room, their face hidden by their hair. The blood-stained blade they held sent a shiver down his spine, and he took a step back, feeling a mix of fear and temptation. The scent of blood was overwhelming, and his fangs ached with the need to sink into flesh.

When Caelum slammed the door shut, Francis could see the fear in the angel's eyes, and he couldn't blame him. The scene inside that room was haunting, and Francis had no desire to see more of it. He took a deep breath, trying to steady himself and push back the unease that threatened to overwhelm him.

...but Caelum's fear was enough to shake the vampire out of his riverie, especially now that the door had closed. The angel cursed, clearly panicked. Did he recognize the figure? Was that an actual angel or a mirage of sorts? Ignoring his desperate salavating, the vampire approached the angel...and reached for his hand, "...hey", he cooed softly, "...whatever it is, we can face it. I...I can fight back my urges, I just need to stop breathing which I can do easily. I know it's a shocking sight, but it has to be just a game. He's just trying to fuck with us and we can't let him get the best of us, the best of you", he insisted.

"What is it? What has you so spooked? I've never seen you like this, I didn't...think you were capable of feeling fear", Francis insisted, "Help me help you, and together, we can leave".

~

Theodore, Antonio, ??? | The Werewolves' Nest

Antonio smiled warmly as he listened to Theodore's nervous chuckle, the young vampire's misty eyes squinting in confusion as he tried to grasp the complexities of their conversation. I suppose that makes sense, Theodore replied with a tilt of his head, showing he was following along. He raised an intriguing question about vampires being technically undead, his eyes searching for answers in Antonio's response, "Absolutely, which is why they probably avoid both of our kind", he laughed softly.

The necromancer nodded in acknowledgment as he spoke, capturing Theodore's full attention. From his pocket, Antonio pulled out a small red book, which immediately caught Theodore's eye. The young vampire's eyes grew wide with intrigue, and a spark of excitement flickered within them. Antonio couldn't help but feel a sense of pride in sharing his knowledge with Theodore. It was like introducing a young scholar to a library of enchanted books.

Theodore's enthusiasm was contagious as he exclaimed: That's awesome, dude! It startled the nervous necromancer, though he soon grew a little shy. His face lit up with a wide smile, revealing the boyish charm that endeared him to others, Antonio thought. He playfully requested an autographed copy of Antonio's comprehensive guide, his laughter adding a lighthearted touch to the conversation.

Antonio's heart warmed at the thought of Theodore being his first buyer. He couldn't help but reciprocate the smile and winked back at the young vampire. His own excitement bubbled under the surface, knowing that his knowledge could be of great help to Theodore.

However, Theodore's giddy excitement soon gave way to a more serious tone as Antonio's words reminded him of their mission. The young vampire refocused on the task at hand, realizing the importance of their encounter with the werewolves. They needed to find a way to win them over, to build bridges between their worlds.

Antonio nodded in agreement with Theodore's exhaled breath, the determination evident in his gaze. Let's keep our fingers crossed then, eh? "Yes...let's".

Though, as the fog began to roll in, the necromancer's steps slowed with caution. Antonio observed Theodore as they walked through the thick fog, sensing the unease that seemed to settle over his companion. He could see the vampire's uncertainty as he fumbled for Caelum's directions, the paper slipping from his grasp and falling to the ground. The fog seemed to grow denser around them, and Antonio's senses were on high alert, his instincts as a necromancer picking up on the eerie atmosphere.

Theodore's voice wavered as he tried to explain what Caelum had said about the nest being away from the path. Antonio nodded in understanding, though he couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. The watchful gaze that Theodore mentioned sent a shiver down his spine, and he couldn't help but glance around, searching for any signs of danger.

As they continued walking, Antonio's eyes darted around, trying to make sense of the shifting shadows and movements in the fog. Every rustle of leaves and swaying of branches set him on edge, and he gripped the bag of goods tightly in his hands. He trusted Theodore's instincts, but he couldn't ignore his own feelings of unease.

Suddenly, a faint sound reached his ears, like a soft whisper on the wind. He turned his head, trying to locate the source of the sound, but the fog seemed to swallow it up. His heart pounded in his chest, and he glanced at Theodore, wondering if he had heard it too.

"Did you hear that?", he finally asked, his voice barely above a whisper when he heard a crack. He didn't want to alarm Theodore, but he couldn't ignore the growing sense of danger that surrounded them. They needed to be cautious, to stay alert, and to trust their instincts if they were going to make it through this foggy wilderness unscathed.

Antonio's heart raced as he felt the surge of panic in Theodore's voice. He could sense the tension in the air, the feeling of being watched and hunted. His instincts we're as sharp as Theodore's, but the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end nonetheless. A soft, hymn of a whisper tickled his ear...warning him of a stranger, "Thank you, Beatriz", he murmured under his breath, clearly not a statement directed toward Thedore.

Come out! As Theodore yelled out, Antonio's eyes darted around, trying to catch any sign of movement in the fog. He gripped something from the inside of his coat, ready to defend himself and his companion if needed. But then, a voice rang out from behind them, and Antonio turned to see a figure emerge from the shadows.

His eyes narrowed as he studied the stranger, the cocky stride and smug expression setting him on edge. The tension in the air didn't dissipate with the stranger's words, and Antonio could feel the lingering sense of danger.

Another hymn reached Antonio's ears and he nodded to no one. A werewolf. "You do have a good point, there, friend...", Antonio hummed, slipping out a silver flute from the inside of his coat. He hoped the stench wouldn't be too much for Theodore, "We truly do not mean any harm or bother, we apologize for tresspassing. We're looking for a pack of werewolves that live around these woods. We were sent by a friend, an angel. We require help and information, and we brought several goods as an act of good faith", he informed, using the flute to point to the bag in Theodore's grasp.

Antonio's eyes followed the strangers pacing, "Do you think it'd be possible to take us to the Alpha? We'll be quick, I promise", he insisted, eyeing the young man. Messy locks, freckled complexion.

A Diplomatic Affair
Caelum, Francis​

The angel shook his head rapidly in response to Francis’ concern. He paced the tight space of the hallway with anxious steps, his hand nearly recoiling from the vampire’s hesitant touch like oil springing back from a pool of water. “No,” He swallowed hard. The tips of his dark curls had begun to grow damp from the sweat sprung from his adrenaline. “There is no helping that. We move on from that. We move on from it.” His voice was cold, unwilling to be convinced otherwise. The angel shot Francis a venomous look, but there was a thin shell to the cold gleam in his eyes. Laying deeper, swallowed in the depths of his gaze was a plea, almost childlike in its vulnerability. Please don’t make me go back in there. Please don’t make me relive that.

He rightened his posture, having at some point in his panic doubled over to rest his weight on bent knees. Caelum cleared his throat in a weak attempt to somehow reset the tension between the pair. “This next door,” he said, voice tight. “It has your name on it.” He studied Francis’ features. Was there any kind of fear laced within it? After seeing how Caelum had reacted to what had laid within his own door, was Francis haunted about anything buried in his past that could possibly--resurface? The vampire had a long life, after all, and what was a long life without its hidden demons and scars?

The cold surface of the metal knob nearly felt like a chemical burn onto Caelum’s flesh as he grasped it. He hesitated only once, waiting for the sound of hesitance from Francis which never came. What he felt first, was the cold chill that washed over and leaked into his pores.

Caelum blinked at the temperature change from the hallway. The hair on his arms instantly rose to combat the chill of the room the two now found themselves in. The angel looked back at his companion, wondering if Francis had any idea what Merim could be getting at upon his first step into the room. But the vampire looked just as confused as Caelum. When Francis fully stepped into the room behind him, the door snapped shut with a sobering finality. They were trapped there.

“Shit--” Caelum cursed through gritted teeth. Merim was certainly toying with him now, waving around a finger at the angel trapped in his little maze. “Does any of this look familiar?” He tentatively asked Francis.

The two stepped forward into the room, pushing through heavy plastic flaps that hung from the ceiling and successfully obscured their view. Caelum’s jaw tightened at the sight. Was this a memory? Or something curated to test and manipulate Francis’ mental fortitude?

Fairies’ bodies hung from the ceiling, bound by silver cuffs that burned into the skin of their wrists. Rows upon rows of them, like some kind of meat locker or--food storage. Caelum’s brow furrowed, casting a heavy shadow across his features at the realization. It was some kind of blood harvesting for vampires. Fae blood, the ultimate temptation and greatest satisfaction for vampires. Who was this about? Was it about Terra?

Caelum glanced over at Francis beside him, trying to judge the male’s expression. He had noticed Francis’ softer side with the fae in their group. If she was something on his mind when walking into Merim’s trap, it would most likely be the easiest pickings. Merim had fun weaving his little webs, but his illusions were only strong enough to draw from the surface. Low hanging fruit. What was currently plaguing you? A fear of heights? A certain someone you were avidly denying feelings for? Or was it some ever present trauma breathing at the back of your neck with its omnipresence?

“It’s not real Francis, are you okay?” He swallowed, taking a step forward. He was cautious not to bump into any of the fae that had been chained. “Merim has always been a bit dramatic but this, and the last--” He cut himself off sharply. “It’s too much. It’s my fault for ignoring him for so long. He needs his power checked.”

Caelum’s gaze was hardened steel as he eyed the cooler they were now trapped in. “There’s going to be something we have to do--some horrible thing he wants us to endure to lock the way out,” He sighed. Caelum rubbed at the back of his neck, posture slumping inelegantly. “Any ideas?”

----
The Werewolves' Nest
Theodore, Antonio, Quinn
It was supposed to be a regular, boring patrol day. Quinn was reluctant to go--as he always was, grateful that the only thing that made being assigned the bitchwork of the pack tolerable was the fact that he never really had to do anything. Most times he would wander off to the edge of the pack’s territory, finding a suitable tree and scaling up quickly to endlessly doom scroll on his phone. Sometimes he’d take a book, other times a small journal to sketch in.

Regardless of the various ways he chose to spend his time, each patrol had two things in common. They were always boring as fuck and he never had to do anything during them. So when the smell of death wafted towards him in his favorite perch, leg swinging and mind absorbed in a book, he very nearly fell out of the tree in shock.

At first, Quinn didn’t really know what to do. No one ever came this far into the forest. How the hell was he supposed to know how to handle them? Should he go up to them and ask them to leave nicely? No--no that would be stupid, he was supposed to represent the might of the pack right? So he should go up and scare them away menacingly, maybe even threaten them a bit--no no maybe they would end up turning around on their own anyways? And if he threatened them then they might come back with some kind of authority figures trying to sniff around back here. Sure--the pack claimed it as territory...but they technically were trespassing themselves. Land in New York was expensive after all. God forbid the people end up being supernaturals and they cry wolf to the order for feeling threatened. The last thing the pack needed were a bunch of angels with sticks up their asses coming in to investigate. He could already imagine the alpha’s look of disappointment burning into him at that outcome.

So, ultimately, Quinn decided to lurk behind them. Study the two men that seemed to wander in with some kind of purpose. Try to gather why exactly they were so determined in navigating through such thick fog and ominous forest. The one with light eyes seemed a bit skittish and nervous, although he was masking it with a thick sense of humor over top. His pallor struck Quinn as a bit odd--too pale and lifeless to be a normal human. He sniffed the air to try and pick up more of his scent, but nearly choked at the overwhelming smell of death that smothered him. The other one. The one with the olive eyes. There was no denying that he was a necromancer. The smell of it had nearly choked Quinn when the two had stepped within the forest. Now, even at this distance it was hard to breathe without inhaling a thick lungful of it.

Instinct and fear began to make a potent mix in his chest, casting away any doubts or fear about what the alpha would want him to do. He dropped down from the tree he had been examining the two from, circling around them in a wide berth as he called out to their attention. No doubt about it--the necromancer had certainly sensed him far before Quinn allowed himself to be revealed. That notion scared him, but he quickly masked the crack in his façade with an oozing sense of confidence.

Quinn snarled at the mention of an angel. “An angel? We don’t really consider them friends.” His gaze narrowed as he continued to pace, studying the necromancer's movements.

He couldn’t help it, he let out a laugh. “Take you to the alpha? You’ve gotta be joking, right?”

Theodore shot a glance at Antonio, mouth opening slightly at the werewolves' incredulous reaction. “Um--no?” The vampire responded, his tone shaky and unsure. “Look--we brought you guys like gifts and everything,” he said, holding the bag out further in his grasp.

“Gifts?” Quinn asked, voice short. His instincts were telling him to raise alarm bells and alert the pack of the intruders--but there was something about the two that made him curious. The one with the light eyes exuded some odd draw to him, Quinn couldn’t really explain it. He was drawn to the man, almost like he trusted him, was calmed by him. The other--the other had some different kind of draw to him, something unknown that captured his attention even through his status as a necromancer.

“Set it down, and step away. I’ll be the one to decide if they’re worth the alpha’s time or not,” He raised his chin up, trying to maintain his smug disposition.

Theodore blinked, biting back the urge to respond, well yeah who else would be deciding that if not you? But he refrained, simply glancing at Antonio briefly before setting the bag down and stepping back several paces.

The pair watched awkwardly as Quinn shuffled up to the bag, crouching down on the balls of his feet as he inspected the contents of their gift. He let out a low whistle. “Ah--you guys really do your research huh?” He smirked, looking up at the two from under his lashes. “What exactly do you want with the alpha?”

----
The Academy
Terra, Mizuki​

Terra nodded. “Yes--definitely we should ask for help.” Her eyes trailed along the dizzying rows of shelves that lined deeply into the library, each lined with rows upon rows of thick, academic books. Yun-Seo had known exactly where to go, navigating through the spines of books like it was second nature. When she was here with him, she didn’t really do anything besides tease and flirt with him. Something she cursed herself for silently now. So immature and stupid. But how could she have known that she’d wind up in anything remotely like this?

“How can I help you two ladies today?” The librarian asked with a curt smile.

“Hi!” Terra’s voice was confident and welcoming, the fae leaning heavily on her natural charm to try and coax the librarian into helping them with--minimal questioning. “We’re contractors working with The Order to sort out some discrepancies with the filing and documentation of certain spells, it seems like there’s been a bit of a mix up with what the Order has documented and what you seem to have reported on file,” She smiled gently, big eyes round and inviting as she addressed the topic. “Totally normal occurrence, it happens all the time. We’ll just need access to these spells listed here to double check their state in person and make sure everything matches what The Order has documented. A quick hour or so and then we’ll be out of your hair,” She winked.

The librarian paused for a moment, mulling over the rapid amount of information Terra had dumped upon her suddenly. She had learned overexplaining things with a friendly and trustworthy charm often allowed her things with little to no questioning, and as the Librarian began to nod her head in agreement, Terra knew this time was no different. The woman checked the paper Caelum had printed out for them, their lie bolstered even further by his official clearance and seal with the Order, before leading them back through the stacks of books into a private room. The books and scrolls were more tightly secured in this area, hidden behind thick layers of glass or locked deep in drawers.

The fae glanced at Mizuki warily as they were lead to a table in the middle, one no doubt meant for official researchers or sorcerers with high enough security clearance to gain access. The librarian disappeared a beat later, her absence soon followed by the sound of metallic lock clicks and shuffling papers.

She returned with a box of neatly organized books and scrolls, one of which contained the spell Caelum had tasked her and Mizuki with finding.

“Oh, thank you so much, we’ll try to be as quick as possible,” Terra gushed, fluttering her eyelashes appreciatively.

The librarian smiled warmly, waving her hand dismissively in Terra’s direction, “Oh, sweetie don’t worry about it. It’s no bother at all. You two take your time all right? And don’t hesitate to reach out if you need anything further.”

Terra nodded excitedly, holding a hand to her chest in appreciation, “Of course! I’m sure if you were in charge of the spell keeping we wouldn’t even need to be here in the first place.”

The librarian suppressed a laugh, rolling her eyes as if to say, ‘tell me about it’ before she closed the door and left Terra and Mizuki to their devices.

“Okay, well,” Terra began, peering into the mountain of spells that stood waiting for them to sort through. “Time to read a bunch of chicken scratch latin and act like we know what we’re looking for,” She giggled, nudging her elbow into Mizuki’s side.

Last edited:
Theodore, Antonio, ??? | The Werewolves' Nest

Antonio, with a calm demeanor, hummed a tune while retrieving a silver flute from his coat. Wary of Theodore's reaction to the potentially overwhelming scent of the flute, he expressed sincere apologies for trespassing toward the stranger, clarifying their peaceful intent. Antonio revealed their mission: searching for a werewolf pack in the nearby woods on behalf of an angelic friend. In an attempt to establish trust, he pointed to a bag filled with offerings.

Acknowledging the werewolf's pacing, Antonio sought permission to meet the Alpha, promising a brief interaction. He assured the young man, who had a disheveled appearance with tousled hair and a freckled complexion, that the visit would be swift and aimed to garner assistance and information.

However, the werewolf's first reaction was to snarl at the mere mention of an angel and Antonio was left to frown. Of all the creatures in this world to have an issue with angels, he didn't think werewolves were one, "O-Okay, no worries. Thankfully, he's not here", he insisted, only to be laughed at at the mere mention of the Alpha. Well, this was going so smoothly, "...at this point, I wish I was joking, but I'm not. We really need to see him. It's a matter of life or death", he informed.

Theodore was also quick to chime in, insisting that they brought "you guys" gifts "and everything". Antonio was left to stare at the vampire, wondering where all his pomp and circumstance had gone. Wasn't he some sort of socialite where he came from? But, he did extend the bag of goodies toward the werewolf as if for him to inspect. And, it seemed to intrigue the stranger. After a brief pause, he even asked if they could place the bag of goods down and step away. He would decide if they were worth the Alpha's time after searching through the bag. Which was...fair.

The two shared a glance before Theodore leaned down and settled the bag down for inspection. Along with the vampire, Antonio took several steps back to ensure they respected the werewolf's demands. Nervously, the necromancer stood beside Theodore, hands folded before him as the werewolf finally stepped forward and crouched down toward the bag to inspect. He seemed...content! Said they did good research! Antonio couldn't but smile a little, proud, "We got everything from the Black Market, so I assure you it's all authentic", he insisted.

"As to why we need to speak to the Alpha...we need help with a tracking potion. Well, more specifically, the owner of a tracking potion. We just have a few questions and then we'll leave, I promise. Do you think that is something your Alpha can help us with? Please, we're desperate. We'll do anything for an audience", Antonio insisted. And, if it came down to it...if he had to use violence so that they could run past this onlooker, then so be it...but he was really hoping for the peaceful approach, "...what do you say?".

Theodore | Antonio | Quinn
The Werewolve's Nest​

“Life or death,” Quinn echoed the Necromancer’s words. He raised an eyebrow in skepticism. As much as the man wanted to chase the two newcomers out of their territory and scare them out of ever coming back, the carefully selected gifts and mention of a tracking potion gave him pause. These two--they came here with a purpose.

From his still squatted position, Quinn looked up at the two men standing before him. There was a hesitance to each of their postures that sparked a flint of amusement within him. He could get used to this intimidation. He had the power to allow or deny them an audience. For once, at least to them, his say had palpable weight to it.

“Alright,” He said, voice feigning a begrudging tone. “I’ll take you to see the alpha.” It was the illusion of choice, really. Mention of the tracking potion had taken out Quinn’s authority of decision almost immediately. The pack’s tracking potions were powerful, dangerously so. The order monitored their use closely, and if there were already two supernaturals sniffing around about their use, he was sure the order wasn’t far behind. Hell--after mentioning their “angel friend” these two might already be here as an enforcing hand of the order. Quinn would get punished severely if he didn’t bring this to the attention of the pack.

“Follow me, ten steps behind at all times,” he barked to the two men. Quinn stood, leaving the bag of gifts on the ground. He stalked lanky limbs into the dense fog.

“Uh--I guess I’ll just--yeah,” Theodore fumbled over his words, lurching forward to pick up the bag of gifts left behind by the werewolf. He cleared his throat awkwardly before gesturing to Antonio to follow in Quinn’s footsteps. “Well I guess that went pretty good yeah?” He quipped, offering the Necromancer a smile. “We got in with the alpha!”

He shuffled the paper bag within his hold. The deeper the three men strode into the forest, the more unease pooled into his chest. It felt like he was being--watched. Hunted almost. Every time the vampire turned to look behind them or off behind a tree, his gaze was met with nothing but stagnant fog. Yet his instincts were screaming, like he could feel a sweaty palm about to grab hold to the back of his neck. Theodore shuffled awkwardly, stealing close to Antonio for some kind of grounding presence.

His fears only became realized when a lurking structural shadow began to grow shape in the fog. Yellow eyes morphed into tense bodies of wolves, their predatory stare boring into the two. They were at the nest now, and the pack made to ensure Theodore and Antonio knew their numbers lest they forget their place.

“Welcome,” A booming voice cut through the low growls and chittering from the wolves who began to slowly circle in on their position. “I see Quinn has brought by some friends.”

Theodore, Antonio, Quinn | The Werewolves' Nest

Antonio felt his body slack the moment this stranger agreed to let them see the Alpha—depsite begrudgingly so, relieved they didn't have to...subdue him, so to say. Wasn't really in the mood of angering a whole pack of wolves, afterall. And, what Quinn saw as intimidation, Antonio viewed it more as caution. Despite his generally quiet personality and shy exterior, he was pretty confident in his abilities. Necromancy was a very powerful branch in magic. It was why it was so tabboo, the Coven just didn't know how to control or supervise it.

It wasn't long before the werewolf finally stood his full height, insisting they follow him, but always ten steps behind him. A...strange request, but fine, Antonio was happy to comply and he was sure Theodore would do the same. Though, if he were the one in the presence of two strangers—supernaturals at that—he would have preferred to stay behind, not wanting to give a potential threat his back.

As the werewolf stalked forward, Antonio and Theodore shared a quick glance before the vampire fumbled to gather the gifts that were left behind. The Necromancer watched as the wolf already managed to put a bit of distance between him and them, giving Antonio and Theodore a moment to talk, "As good as it can be...werewolves a very territorial, the fact that we're even allowed to follow one is a big deal. However, he is clearly only one of their lackeys. Whether or not the Alpha rejects our presence is a whole other concern", he insisted in a low murmur.

Antonio and Theodore obediently trailed behind Quinn, maintaining a distance of precisely ten steps as the werewolf insisted. Their footsteps were hushed, matching the solemn atmosphere of the forest surrounding them. Theodore occasionally adjusted his pace, subtly edging closer to Antonio, to which the witch read as the other trying to seek comfort and solidarity in their proximity. Which he appreciated, because he too felt a little unnerved by their surroundings. Despite the tension in the air, they remained silent, exchanging only brief glances as they followed Quinn deeper into the wilderness.

The trio ventured deeper into the dense, fog-shrouded forest, where the air hung heavy with moisture and the thick mist enveloped everything in an ethereal haze. Tall trees loomed overhead, their branches obscured by the swirling fog, casting eerie shadows on the forest floor below. The ground was soft beneath their feet, blanketed by a layer of fallen leaves and moss, muffling the sound of their footsteps as they tread carefully through the undergrowth.

The forest was alive with the sounds of nature: the distant hoot of an owl, the rustle of small animals scurrying through the underbrush, and the occasional snap of twigs underfoot. The air was filled with the earthy scent of damp soil and decaying leaves, mingled with the unmistakable musk of wolf that lingered on the breeze.

Despite the beauty of the surroundings, there was an underlying sense of unease, a feeling that they were being watched from the shadows. The dense foliage obscured their view, creating an ominous sense of isolation as they ventured further into the heart of the forest.

As Antonio trudged through the foggy forest alongside Theodore, he too caught sight of the eerie yellow eyes peering out from the dense mist, accompanied by the shadowy forms of solidified figures lurking in the fog. A whisper brushed against his ear, sending a shiver down his spine, but he remained composed, offering a silent nod in acknowledgment of the unseen presence.

As they reached the heart of the wolf's nest, Quinn paused before them, and a voice echoed through the fog, welcoming them as "Quinn's friends." Antonio's keen eyes flickered toward the young werewolf, now identified as Quinn, his expression thoughtful as he took in the scene before him. So, this was their guide, the one who had led them into the depths of the forest. Quinn.

"Thank you for the kind welcome, sir", Antonio called out politely, bowing his head lowly out of respect and quietly urging Theodore to do the same, "Quinn was most kind to allow us to come before the presence of your lovely pack. We wish nothing but peace and honor, and have even brought a peace offering in the form of gifts. I hope they are to be accepted".

As he spoke, a large presence stepped out from the fog, the wisps trailing after him as he revealed himself. Jarl stood before the two strangers, a lopsided and toothy grin escaping him, "Gifts, hm?", he snapped his fingers, one of his own rushing forward toward Theodore and grabbing the back from him before he rushed back toward his Alpha.

During this exchange, Antonio took a moment to analyze the stranger...was this the Alpha? He was a towering figure, his presence commanding attention even in human form. The alpha of the werewolf pack stood tall and imposing, with a broad, muscular frame that spoke of strength and authority. His heavy build was accentuated by the layers of furs and bones adorning his attire, a primal display of his connection to the wilderness and the creatures he led.

His features were rugged and weathered, etched with the wisdom of age and the scars of countless battles. Piercing, yellow eyes gleamed with an intensity that hinted at his fierce determination, while his jawline was set in a firm expression that brooked no defiance. Despite the harshness of his appearance, there was a primal allure to him, a raw magnetism that drew others to him like moths to a flame.

As he approached, the air seemed to crackle with energy, his presence filling the surrounding space with a palpable aura of power and authority. This was the Alpha, the undisputed leader of the werewolf pack, and his mere presence commanded both respect and fear from all who stood before him.

"And, to what do we owe this pleasure?", Jarl hummed ruggedly.

"We just...come for information. If we could speak privately, it would be appreciated", Antonio offered.

Jarl raised a brow, knwoing this wasn't the first visit he had from a vampire. It was from a Necromancer, but he viewed the two equally as detestable. Maybe they came on behalf of...him? He nodded, "Very well. Quinn, Erik, Ivar, come with me", he ordered, turning around and stalking off further into the fog.

Antonio looked to Theodore before rushing forward to follow after the Alpha, heart thundering in his chest. There was no turning back.

Theodore, Antonio, Quinn | The Werewolves' Nest
Theodore’s body was tense under the suffocating embrace of the pack’s eyes upon him. Some had opted to return to their human forms, lounging on various furniture that had been compiled in, what Theodore assumed, was some sort of hangout area for them. Metal chairs, side tables and other knick knacks were gathered in a hodgepodge in the grassy clearing.

His misty eyes darted from Antonio to the intimidating Alpha. The man was large--far larger than either he or the necromancer. He shuddered to think of the man when assuming his werewolf form. Just his claws alone would be enough to shred Theodore in half. He cleared his throat to put the thought to bed.

It wasn’t hard to see why the many werewolves around them were able to hold such clear respect. An electric tension charged the air, stoked further with each tight breath loosed from one of the werewolves watching them. Theodore felt like his body was on fire. Every blink, every finger twitch being monitored and scrutinized.

Jarl approached closer to them, no doubt as a form of intimidation. The length of Antonio’s explanation seemed to fall short in the foggy air, but his request hung tense at the implications. Speaking with the Alpha privately. It wasn’t often that anyone even made it as far as the nest, and even rarer that they spoke to the Alpha at all.

Quinn blinked in surprise at Jarl’s decision. He was just going to--talk to them? Just like that? They hadn’t even fully stated the nature of the ‘information’ they had claimed they wanted. Could Jarl sense how much this reeked of the order?

The werewolf bounced down from the table he had been seated on, feeling the burning weight of judgment cascading down his shoulders. Sure--everyone knew Jarl only asked Quinn because he had brought the strangers to him in the first place. It still didn’t take away the sting of jealousy. Quinn had a long way to go before he could earn his place next to the Alpha, the taut stares of his companions a hateful reminder of that fact.

He kept his gaze forward and shoulders set straight, an intimidating force stirring within the Alpha’s shadow. Quinn eyed the vampire as he passed him, the man having stalled in following the Alpha. The other man, the necromancer, was already several paces ahead, gaze held straight.

Quinn clapped Theodore on the back. “You alright there?” He peered at Theodore, brown eyes darkening a bit in hesitant curiosity. “If it helps, I don’t think he’s quite keen on gutting any vampires or necromancers today,” Quinn smiled, shaking the vampire’s shoulder. “At the worst, you’ll have bought all those snacks for nothing.”

“Appreciate it,” Theodore smiled, the action tense and not reaching his eyes. It was hard to slip into his usual ease and charm from before. Honestly, Theodore couldn’t even remember what it felt like anymore. So confident and proud, delivering Samantha’s iron will with a blistering smile. Now here he was, paralyzed under the scrutiny of a pack of werewolves.

Theodore took a breath and trailed after Quinn, curling his fingers tight into his palm to hide the trembling.

----

Jarl lead them into what looked to be some kind of games area. There were errant ping pong balls littered in the corners of the floor, the same random assortment of furniture clustered in small sitting groups. Theodore could eye a ping pong table, foosball and a pool table, the latter of which was covered in random objects.

The werewolf who had collected their gift under Jarl’s orders set them on the pool table. Jarl turned around, crossing his arms and leaning back on the table to address Theodore and Antonio. “So, what do we owe the pleasure of your visit? It’s not often we catch strays in the mood for a visit.”

Theodore let out his breath in a low hiss, hoping to drain himself of the doubting nerves he’d been plagued with. “We’re here on behalf of Caelum Albus,” he began, eyes turning to each werewolf in the room. He let his gaze linger on the Alpha, willing himself to hold the piercing yellow gaze. “An angel with the Order. He’s in search of a tracking spell that had been used recently.”

Jarl’s gaze hardened into polished amber. “What leads the Order into thinking this tracking spell had anything to do with us?” He brought a callused hand forward to gesture vaguely in the air. “There’s plenty of supernaturals capable of such a thing. Why come to us?”

Theodore hummed in thought. He stepped forward, mimicking the Alpha’s earlier show of intimidation. A silver lining of his previous self shining through. “Because the man we know doesn’t settle for anything less than the best. And we’ve heard you make tracking spells that are just that,”

Quinn’s attention was bowstring tight, his gaze bouncing from the two newcomers to Jarl. At the mention of the Order and their tracking spells, the Alpha’s guard had finally gone up. Just as Quinn’s had. These were no ordinary supernaturals, and their request was no ordinary affair either. Werewolf tracking spells were dangerous if allowed in the wrong hands. Just who was this ‘man’ that Theodore had mentioned? Surely Jarl wouldn’t have allowed one of their tracking spells to fall into stained hands.

"You, necromancer," Jarl sniffed, gesturing to Antonio with a nod of his head. "You said you two were only looking for information. This feels more than that. Be candid with me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back