• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Terra | Caelum

Terra didn’t miss the way Francis’ gaze lingered on Theodore’s slumped form on the couch or the way his sigh permeated through the air, soft and drawn out, exhausted. The last time they had all been together in her living room, Francis and Theodore had nearly broken into a full out fight, yet here he was, doting over Theodore’s well being like a protective older brother. Terra couldn’t blame him, though. Her pain at hearing the news of Mizuki was much too strong in her chest for someone she had only known less than a month. What they had been through together, the desperation they all shared; it brought them closer together. So when Francis turned to her to confirm her floating question as to Mizuki’s well being, well it was enough of a shock to cause her knees to buckle in disbelief.

The fae gripped onto the counter, her knuckles stiff as she processed the news. Vampires were--hard to kill, weren’t they? For decades fae had always envied them for that, for their fast healing and resilience. Not even a brutal beating would be enough to kill them, only something like a stake through the heart or the harsh presence of the sun. To think something of that nature could’ve happened to Mizuki was heart wrenching, to put it frankly.

Her large eyes, softened by an unshed gleam of tears, searched Francis’ face as he admitted to her that he had no clue to the events storming around them. Theodore and Mizuki had fought? It seemed so sudden and unreasonable--it must have been something truly devastating. Her chest ached in sympathy for the two of them. Terra clasped her hands together the more Francis explained. So much had happened in the brief amount of time they had been separated. Meanwhile, she was lost in her own reverie after having reconnected with Yun-Seo. It felt selfish in hindsight.

She nodded fervently to Francis, her eyes meeting his own worried ones. “No, I agree don’t worry. That was definitely the best call. I’m sure things are--sensitive for him. Now more so than ever.”

Terra let out a deep sigh, her figure leaning more into the counter, allowing it to almost fully support her weight. “Yeah--yeah I agree,” she said, running a hand across her forehead as she tried to regain control of her thoughts. How could so much go wrong so quickly? Everything seemed hopeful before, and now things were bleaker than she could have ever expected.

“It’s worth a shot,” Terra said after a beat, her eyes trained on the floor. “I mean,” She let out a bitter laugh. “Compared to this? I think anything would be better.” Her eyes drifted behind Francis to take in Theodore’s expressionless figure, his gaze fixed on the ceiling. The look in his eyes was shallow and empty, almost like he had stepped away from his body and gone somewhere else.

She suddenly was jolting forward, hand on her chest, at a sharp buzzing that permeated the silent calm the apartment had fallen into. Terra let out a soft breath, heart racing, at the bright light emanating from her phone. It was a message from Caelum, almost as if on cue.

Meet me at the Hidden Dragon. Hard to miss. Was all the text read.

Terra rolled her eyes. “Well--looks like our man of the hour is right on schedule,” She said, turning the phone to Francis. "Though I do wonder what he's doing at a bar of all places. Isn't it a tad too early for that?"

----

Caelum rocked the cold glass of his drink back and forth between two fingers, his gaze lazily trailing over the swimming pattern of reflected light against its surface. His skin still bore the uneasy chill of the order. There was nothing he hated more. The bartender had given him a judgmental look after he had requested something strong this early in the morning. Caelum had just brushed the orc off with a roll of his eyes. If he knew the reason why such a drink was required, he wouldn't question it. Hell, the bartender would probably sit down and have a drink with Caelum.

A muscle twitch in his face registered from the surfacing memory of what the beginning of Caelum's day entailed. The office building with an ever present stream of people milling about yet somehow no one ever worked at. The bright brown wood door, heavily waxed and glossy under washed out fluorescent lighting.

Caelum's head hung down, gaze on set on the carpet beneath him. It was heavily matted in the spot leading into the door. He didn't want to know how many people went in. He didn't want to know how many never came out.

Two knocks later, an all encompassing voice reached out to him, the sound somehow everywhere and nowhere all at once. It was just simply--apart of him.

Caleum wasn't entirely sure whether it was the smell or the vacantness of the order that always made him nauseous. Probably a combination of both. He never understood why everything had to be so plain and boring. Washed out grays, impossible dark corners and a drab uniformity that never failed to be enforced.

"Yo," He had called out with a small wave of his hand. The greeting wasn't returned in kind.

"Things have gotten out of control, Albus," the angel occupying the only piece of furniture in the room, a desk, said.

Caelum winced at the name. He hadn't been called that since--no he wasn't going to go there. "Yeah--" he let out a small laugh. "Seems things have taken a turn into chaos."

"You will fix it," The angel stated, his expression never flickering from its apathetic stoicism. "Or an Archangel will be assigned to your case."

Caelum winced once more. That was the last thing he needed. Seeing the Order like this, by proxy, was bad enough. Being in their presence for the first time since--

"That won't be necessary," Caelum clenched his jaw. "I've already undergone investigation of the issue. It will be solved. You have my word."

The angel only tilted his head, the most imperceptible hint of a smirk tugging at his features. "You and The Order both know that's worth nothing."

Caelum gripped the glass in his hand tighter. "Another round please," He said, lifting a finger at the bartender.

"Caelum," A familiar voice permeated his ears. He turned, burying the events from earlier within himself.

"What took you two so long? I'm already on my second round," He smirked towards Terra and Francis, gesturing with a suave motion of his hand at the empty stools beside him.

1633025789009.png
1634870353550.png

Francis | Antonio

Francis' expression softened upon seeing the fae's tears glimmer under the apartment's weak luminance. He understood...he too mourned, despite only knowing the vampiress for a handful of weeks. What could he say? They all had shared trauma, and trauma aided in a speedy bond. He sincerely felt as if he had known everyone for years now, possibly even centuries instead of the bundle of days that had trickled away down the river of time.

Francis licked his lips as Terra looked up at him with those big eyes of hers, unable to stand her stare for too long before feeling guilty. As if he had been the one to cause her so much pain. As if he had ridden Mizuki of her last breath...And, then there was Theodore...who was barely able to keep himself upright the moment they arrived at Terra's apartment that she so graciously shared with them. While he gave a brief explanation as to what happened, he kept his gaze over their feet, having shared that apparently, something had happened between Theodore and Mizuki for the vampire to send him such a distressing voicemail.

Francis added vague details about the hotel room, about spending the evening together only to wake with the news that Mizuki Chiba had been found dead in a pool of her own blood, at the base of the Four Seasons. Even now, it felt foreign. The idea that a vampire of Mizuki's caliber was...dead.

Francis had apologized for coming to her apartment unannounced, he just...didn't know where else to go. He didn't want to risk going to an inn within the Black Market lest the Council track him down despite them not having any jurisdiction down here. Terra yelled "safety", and all he could think about was to ensure Theodore was able to rest someplace private. Maybe even sleep, if his wounded heart would allow him. "Thank you, I'm glad you also agree. I'll try to get out of your hair as soon as possible when I figure out where I can stash us without the fear of blowing our cover. The Council—Maximus—will do everything to find him, especially now that the Lasombra is under heat for conspiracy", he insisted. But, where in this big blue Earth was it safe to hide? He had no idea...

Francis mirrored Terra's body language as he allowed himself to relax now that he didn't feel like some invisible force had all eyes on him. He leaned into the counter and folded his arms before his chest as Terra continued to process everything he was saying. But, he understood how this was all overwhelming, considering they had somewhat forced her into this adventure, and now one of them was dead...Was it even worth it, anymore? Even if they freed Samantha, that didn't mean they had somehow abolished the corruption within the community. They couldn't selfishly hide underground, now could they? How many more, like Mizuki, like Samantha, like Theodore, had to suffer under the suffocating regime of the Council and the members it endorsed? Members like Maximus...

Gods, he needed a stiff drink...Francis impatiently brushed back his hair, only managing the strength to flick his eyes back up to Terra as she continued. That was definitely the best call. "...yeah", he murmured, "He has a lot to think about, and I hope I can help him through it without him feeling responsible for what happened...He hasn't opened up to me much, just vague phrases and words here and there. I know it's not fun harboring mourning criminals, but...I guess you take what you get", he teased softly, only for him to jump in surprise as Terra suddenly jolted. What? What happened—? Oh, it was just her phone.

They were speaking in such hushed tones in such a tense atmosphere, anything was bound to startle them. Francis glanced down and noted the notification had come from their group chat. He slid his silent cellphone out and saw he had the same cryptic text message. Oh. The Hidden Dragon? Why? He's heard of the place, it was quite famous down here. Plus, he still needed that stiff drink...

"It's never too early in the Black Market, mon cher", Francis cooed softly, winking, "Plus, I'd kill for a glass of wine right now", he insisted, peeking up at Theodore and deciding...it'd be best to leave him to wallow. Sometimes, one just needed to sit in a puddle for a little too long before deciding you were too wet and needed some nice, dry clothes. Theodore was currently in that puddle, and when he was ready to step out? He'd join them.

So, Francis stepped around the kitchen and stepped toward the vampire, kneeling before him and resting his hands on the man's knees while he softly spoke to him and informed him they would be stepping out momentarily. Caelum wanted to meet up, surely to talk about...their recent developments. "Maybe we can talk to Antonio, about a summoning? Get you the closure you deserve", he murmured to the young vampire, reaching his hand up to tenderly brush back his hair, "I'll be right back and we can mourn together", he smiled.

With that, Francis waited for Terra to get ready before the two stepped out. The walk to The Hidden Dragon wasn't too long, and it only made him grow a little nostalgic over his stroll with Terra the previous night. How closely they walked together, their sides brushing against one another. Hands "accidentally" bumping into one another. How lovely she smelled in their close proximity when he suddenly brought her flush against his side while the ogres so rudely took up the whole avenue. Now, they walked at a respectable distance, as Francis felt a little embarrassed and silently wondered if he had somehow crossed some sort of boundary. Especially since there was a second scent that was practically drenched over Terra's space. By the smell of his cheap cologne, it was very much male.

Francis held open the door to the establishment for Terra, just like any commendable gentleman would. He smiled at her, and bobbed his head before he followed after her person and took in his surroundings. Certainly was a lot nicer than some of the bars in this area. It was bathed in a warm, red filter. It was a gothic-looking bar decorated with red Chinese lanterns. And, there...at the end of the outstretched bar with its polished, sticky wood...was a familiar little angel already raising his hand to ask for "another round". Ah, how long had he been here?

Terra called out for him, and he turned to...smirk at the pair. Hm. Seemed like someone was in a better mood than yesterday. Francis padded toward the angel, waiting for Terra to sit before he took the stool to her right. Already, he waved the bartender down, "A glass of Burgundy Pinot Noir, please", he ordered, looking to Terra expectantly, before turning to Caelum, "So, to what do we owe the honor of you calling for our presence?", he hummed, "Have you heard the news—?".

"Hey!", called out a rather breathless voice, and when Francis whipped around to find the source of the familiar voice...he saw...Antonio! Wow, he actually showed his face! Antonio looked out of breath, leaning heavily over the bar as if to suck in some air—even though the air was stale from cigarettes and patrons.

"Sorry, I just saw the message, hope I didn't come too late", Antonio insisted, seeing there...was an empty space beside the young man who had to leave so suddenly yesterday. Caelum...was his name if he recalled. The mystery. He excused himself and ducked his head shyly as he motioned to sit to the left of the man. He looked nervous, even as he managed to sit down. Francis narrowed his eyes.

"No worries, we just arrived, as well", Francis smiled, offering a kind tone, "I was just asking Caelum if he saw the news I sent over".

"...r-right! Right, yes, just...awful...I'm sorry for your loss", Antonio offered a little awkwardly. Francis furrowed his brows. For someone who worked with death a lot, he seemed a bit skiddish. He asked for a glass of water from the bartender.

"It's fine, thank you", Francis insisted, before shifting his attention to Caelum, "Anyway...sorry Theodore isn't here, you can imagine he's having a bit of a day...Why'd you call us? Did you find something important?", he asked.

1655702377240.png1655702442469.png1655702488247.png

4c27ae84ae375845370782e297d09a40.jpg
728532f564cbc3f8aa302566d848e0da.jpg

Terra | Caelum
Terra shifted in her seat next to Francis. The bar stools were rather close together--or maybe Francis’ larger frame made it seem that way, for every small shift by the vampire beside her had his arm brushing up against her side. Her mind inherently drew itself back to their brief walk over here. Somehow it had felt so different--now that she had Yun-Seo back, now that his safety was no longer a huge question mark in her mind. This thought made Terra wrestle with a slippery feeling of guilt, heavy in her chest. Had she really clung to Francis as a means to fill the spot that Yun-Seo had carved out of her? And now that he was back--and that space no longer needed to be occupied--was that really all that was?

“Ah-” Caelum laughed at Francis’ question towards him. “Have I heard the news. That and more,” He scoffed, sliding his empty glass towards the bartender in order to receive a new one. “The Order is not so pleased with the antics your little council has stirred up,” Caelum stated, dark eyes drifting over and sticking on Francis’ face. His attention whipped up and over at a breathless voice piercing the calm atmosphere of the bar. The angel watched as the man took a seat beside him. The Necromancer from before, the one who had saved them from the demons.

“Hm--no, you’re right on time actually,” Caelum said, nodding silently towards the bartender who slid his newest glass across the dark polished wood. He allowed Francis to explain the situation to Antonio, noting the waves of anxiety that rolled off of the man like the sea during a storm. His brow furrowed, but Caelum said nothing, noting the stiffness that had crept its way into Francis’ previously lax posture. So the Vampire was more attuned to shifts in behavior than Caelum had previously thought, or maybe Antonio’s skittish behavior was just that palpable? He eyed the man as Antonio turned his attention towards the bartender to order some water.

“It’s fine if he’s not here,” Caelum waved his hand in Francis’ direction, rocking the drink--now halfway gone--in his hand while he thought of how to preface the situation. “You all know I work for The Order to enforce the contract, yes?”

Terra narrowed her eyes. It wasn’t like Caelum to beat around the bush, but it felt like he was tiptoeing around this subject from the moment Francis first asked about it. Had he been grateful for the brief moment of distraction Antonio’s arrival had brought? Her eyes searched his side profile, his posture--anything for a hint at what could have possibly affected the angel this much. Her eyes turned to Francis, studying his profile as well as the vampire listened to Caelum’s explanation.

Caelum sighed and ran a hand through his thick curls, pushing them off of his forehead briefly. “Well--it’s more of an independent thing. I take things into my own jurisdiction, the archangels don’t really care about the day to day violations of the angelic contract. They leave that business up to me.” His eyes darted over to the side at Francis and Terra, pausing. “But sometimes, something that threatens a big enough disruption of their cherished peace arises, and they begin to care. At first, the death of the councilman wasn’t a huge deal. Not even something I myself had to worry about but--now. This--Cecil, the sorcerer with the demon blood, the document he had stolen, and the death of your dear friend Mizuki. It has caused them to care,” Caelum finally spit out, rubbing the back of his neck roughly. “Me helping you all--it’s no longer a choice anymore. The Order has caught wind of something--larger--that Maximus is planning. Something serious. It does not affect just the Vampires anymore. It affects everyone.”

Caelum shifted in his seat, gaze trained on the table. His hair hung low over his eyes, obscuring the emotion that threatened to crack through his facade of apathy. “I mentioned it before--I’m decently in tune with the emotions of humans, of supernaturals. I can feel that something’s shifted. With the death of the councilor, the disappearance of Cecil, the death of Mizuki--” He paused, his tone becoming softer in sympathy. “Something’s brewing. Everyone can feel it. This growing sense of unease, of uncertainty. I think this is much larger than we could have thought,” He admitted, finally looking up to take in the expression of his companions.

Terra faltered. Her chest was burning with shame at hiding the truth of her meeting with Cecil, of knowing he was safe, but she didn’t dare let on that his disappearance was not a mystery anymore. She had been worried that Caelum would be able to sense his demon blood on her somehow, like he had with Cassisus, but it seemed like he was far too preoccupied with other worries. Cassius was blood bonded with Yun-Seo anyways, so a thin thread consistently connected the two of their presences together.

The fae looked to Francis and then over to Antonio to judge their reactions to the news that Caelum had shared with them. She had to admit, there was a small part of her that was relieved that Caelum had no choice but to remain with them. His power and abilities were far beyond what any of them were capable of. Having that kind of safety net on their side while they stared down the face of whatever this horrible thing Maximus had planned, it alleviated some of the dread that began to crawl its way up her spine. She didn’t like that the order was aware of Yun-Seo and his demon blood. The discovery of his true origins was Maximus’ fault. How long could he have flown under the radar had it not been for the clan leader’s greed? Now he was in danger of The Order’s reprimands. She imagined the sorcerer standing before a panel of angels, awaiting the judgment of his punishment. Terra inhaled sharply. No--she wouldn’t let that happen.

“So--what should we do?” She asked, resting her elbows on the bar and leaning sideways, into Francis’ space in order to keep their conversation low and close knit. She was hit with waves of his scent in this position, drowning in it, and tried everything in her power not to let her stomach flutter at the thought.

“They’ve just given me a date,” Caelum said with a shrug. “The rest is up to us. But we have until the end of this month to figure out what that something is.”

Panic shot through Terra’s chest. The end of the month. The annual Halloween festival. The black market would hold a large celebration that every supernatural being was invited to, a sort of celebration of culture and centuries of heritage. It was the easiest day for supernaturals to travel, with so many humans dressing up in costume and inadvertently creating the perfect camouflage. What was Maximus planning to do with that many supernatural beings gathered in one place? She swallowed hard at the thought.

1633025789009.png
1634870353550.png

Francis | Antonio

Have I heard the news? That and more. "Is that so, joli garçon?", Francis hummed back to the angel, having wondered why he had been so silent, in that case. Seemed like out of everyone, he was growing rather close to Mizuki. Had he misinterpreted the signs of a blooming friendship? And now, calling them in the middle of the day to some sketchy bar? Rather tipsy...He didn't think it was to mourn the death of their friend, was it? Francis laced his fingers together neatly, resting his chin over as he directed his full attention to Caelum as he explained that The Order had caught wind of this little...mishap, and they weren't content. "My little Council, hm?", he hummed softly, as if in thought. Was the Council involved in Mizuki's death? "That's a rather dire accusation you're making. Not that I wouldn't put it beneath the Council to do such a thing, but what would the Council even want with someone like Mizuki? Does your little Order have any evidence to back up such claims?", he asked, only to quickly swallow his questions when their attention was redirected back to find...oh! Antonio made it! Though, he was rather breathless as if he had just run the whole way through the Market and seemed rather anxious that he was already making a wrong impression. Poor boy, so wracked with nerves.

Antonio hurriedly brushed his way through, having found a stool beside Caelum, and waved down the bartender rather sluggishly so that he could chug down a glass of water. His lungs were on fire! Francis was quick to reassure him that they had just arrived, and asked Caelum about the news he sent over the group chat...which seemed to cause a series of cascading emotions to veil over Antonio's features. Mostly, he seemed skittish. Like a deer caught in headlights. As if he had pushed Mizuki off of that rooftop himself. It was Caelum's reassurance, though, Caelum's voice...that seemed to snap the Necromancer out of his little reverie. This was...one of the first few times Caelum had redirected a word toward him. "Thank you...", he hummed kindly to the young man, before he turned to Francis and also thanked him for his explanation, and apologized for his loss. Francis seemed to simply brush away the strange little pause he had just shared with Antonio, writing him off as generally strange.

Francis quickly shifted the topic onto Theodore, apologizing for his absence due to...well, he was obviously in mourning and needed a moment to himself. He then asked Caelum why, of all days, did he call them to such a gods-forsaken place? And, great! He was already down his...second? Third drink? Should he slow down? But, before Francis could voice his concern, Caelum pierced through the air with a coy reminder that he worked for The Order to enforce the contract. Francis nodded dumbly, and Antonio merely looked confused. Trying to keep up. Caelum...worked for The Order? Did that...mean that...—oh Dios Santo que está en el puto cielo. Antonio quickly gripped at the fabric over his chest, as if he was clutching onto something underneath. Staring at Caelum wide-eyed while the continued his explanation.

Francis was too engrossed in whatever was about to come out of Caelum's mouth now that The Order was mentioned, that he barely paid attention to Terra's critical eye and Antonio's near mental breakdown. He was sighing, he was stalling. This wasn't like him. They leave that business up to me. Okay? So far, everything seemed pretty standard. But, Caelum was regarding them a little more acutely, even welcoming silent pauses as if to help the three process exactly what he was saying. He was talking very slowly, very calmly. Very concisely. Not wanting to leave a single room for error or confusion. But, it seemed like he was building to something and Francis didn't like it. Especially with mentions of disruption of peace and...Cecil...He frowned, shifting discretely to look over his shoulder toward Terra to see how she was taking this before returning his full attention at Mizuki's mention. Her death...was big enough to cause The Order to care?

It does not affect just the Vampires anymore. It affects everyone. It didn't end there, though. If he was understanding this right, it seemed like The Order suspects foul play from Maximus and is aware that he has been planning something rather sinister that would bring cause for concern. And, if Maximus is behind this...and if the rumors are true that his influence has spread within the Council...the Council that silently ruled over all supernatural beings...then the Council did have something to do with Mizuki's death. Meaning he...had a chance to end it if he had simply caught wind of it. If he had just stayed in the Council instead of running after Theodore, maybe...just maybe...Francis frowned, not liking how this conversation began. No wonder Caelum was day drinking. Francis waved the bartender down and asked for a Chardonnay. If you can't fight them, join them.

But, Caelum continued, and no one dared to cut him off. It was as if he was trying to re-explain everything to himself, as well. As if he too was making sense of all of this. Francis nodded, knowing exactly what he meant. He could feel it when he first arrived at the Market. Mizuki's death was simply the drop of water that spilled from the glass. Everyone was tense, no one felt safe with all of these brewing rumors of the Council, of Maximus. Talks of demonic blood. Francis simply hoped the supernatural wasn't going to go back feeling wary around vampires, they had worked too hard to fight against wrongful stigmatization. But, with the Council's growing control and violence, Francis wouldn't...blame anyone for fearing him. With that thought, he once more returned his attention to Terra. And, while he gazed down upon her, he simply sighed and nodded to Caelum's echoed words: I think this is much larger than we could have thought. "I think so too", he murmured.

As Terra turned to face the group, Francis was noticeably...burdened. While Antonio looked as if he was about to be sick. He was pale and looked somewhat clammy, which caused the bartender to notice to the point that he rushed that water order in hopes that it would help the man breathe. But, no...Antonio merely gripped the glass between his two hands, staring down at the water rather intently. As if the forsaken liquid had just offended his whole family. This was probably a lot for a newcomer, at least that's what Francis chalked it up to before he turned to face Caelum once more. But, he found...the words had died in his throat. What...could he say?

Thankfully, Terra was brave enough to break through the silence, asking what they should do. Francis deflated, relieved that she had asked what was probably on everyone's mind. Plus, she was shifting a little closer and he had to admit that the warmth of her skin and the scent of something floral was rather soothing...though he tried not to focus too much on how soft she was beside him. Thankfully, Caelum made it easier, because he just dropped a huge bomb on them.

"Wait!", Francis practically hissed, "The literal fucking Order is giving us chores? And a deadline at that? Aren't they literally all knowing and all powerful or something?", he snapped, "They should clean up this mess since it's their job to restore peace. Where were they all these centuries, allowing the Council to run free, allowing Maximus' reign to grow? This is out of our control", he insisted, "And, what do you mean "figure out what that something is"? They want us to figure out Maximus' great plan is? We can barely keep the members of our team alive! We lost our only tie to the Lasombra. I can't get too close without it being suspicious, gods forbid any of you try. Let alone Theodore, who is about to go under some sort of witch hunt. This...No. I refuse", he stated, "Our original goal was to help Samantha. I was hoping on doing that by incarcerating Maximus and proving he is guilty of killing Mizuki, but without proof...without witnesses, without a body...Caelum, is there any way we can just talk to The Order? Insist that we don't know what we're doing, that we were originally just trying to help our friend?", he asked.

"—I can get Mizuki's body...!", Antonio interrupted, seemingly having just burst from whatever emotional turmoil he was still going through. Francis softened...oh, merde...He didn't look so good.

"Hey, hey...it's okay, we'll figure something out. Why don't you try to gather your breath—?".

"N-No, okay? No...I...Heavens, this is my fault...", Antonio whined, running his shaky hands through his face and hair, "...I never should have agreed to help if I knew it was going to bring so much division. B-But, she seemed so scared, a-and upset...I...I just wanted to help. I'm sorry...", he whined, his voice cracking under the pressure. "I'm sorry...".

300509ad2a51624095735693054bd883.jpg
213606593e312b9a542ff8437a5965f7.jpg

Terra | Caelum

Caelum wasn’t sure what to think at first. He was maintaining an outward façade of apathy, but the toll from having seen the Order this morning beginning to fracture his typically uncaring demeanor. He began to feel panicked the longer he noticed Francis' demeanor slowly shift from favorable and helpful, to irate and rejective. His gaze was focused on Francis' expression, who was in the middle of ranting about the Order assuming it could assign chores to those who didn’t work for them. The angel opened his mouth, eyes widening a fraction when the conversation took a turn into the idea of backing out of the deal completely. Caelum--wasn’t strong enough to handle the burden this had turned into. Not alone at least, not anymore. He needed them and Francis was right, the Order couldn’t drop chores over their head. They were Caelum’s chores, he was hoping to take advantage of the quid pro quo relationship they were entwined in. But if they backed out, what was he going to do? The angel shifted his weight in the bar stool, swallowing hard in anticipation of a response. He could never tell them that. He could never reveal to them the truth of his position or his past, the reason he was assigned to New York. That he had been--His thoughts cut off suddenly as Antonio’s anxiety exploded in front of them. Caelum turned, wide eyed at the man. There was a visible sheen of sweat that had beaded at his forehead, the planes of his face draining of all color.

"Heavens, this is my fault...I never should have agreed to help if I knew it was going to bring so much division. B-But, she seemed so scared, a-and upset...I...I just wanted to help. I'm sorry...",

Terra felt as though her body had glitched. She reached forward across Francis’ body, but stopped short, fingers curling into her palm. He--he what? She opened her mouth and closed it again, unsure of what to say. The realization of the weight that Antonio’s confession carried hit her in small waves, one by one, until the total realization of his words enveloped her fully. She gripped Francis’ arm, turning to him with eyes widened into full moons. “We need to get him out of here,” She hissed under her breath, willing coherent thoughts into her brain while her mind still struggled to recover from the blow of his words. What did this mean? Was Mizuki still alive? Had Antonio aided in her suicide? Her homicide by the council? None of it made any sense, and his clear distress was not helping the nauseous ball of dread that had immediately sank low in her stomach. The fae steadied her breathing in an attempt to control her thoughts from spiraling into a torrent of despair and worst case scenarios. Her gaze whipped around the nearly empty bar. A couple of gazes had darted over to them briefly. Terra hoped it had more to do with the tangible electricity that radiated from Antonio’s anxious state and clear despair rather than the news that had put him there in the first place.

Caelum shook his head, gaze trained down at the table. “Goddamn it,” He mumbled under his breath. The angel lifted his glass and downed the remaining contents, his Adam's apple bobbing smoothly. He stood after, sliding several bills from his wallet and pressing them onto the table. He gave the bartender an affirmative nod.

“Alright buddy, let’s go,” Caelum said, clapping a hand on Antonio’s shoulder. His grip was iron, eyes cold as he looked down at him. “We’ll discuss this outside.” With that, he guided the queasy looking man out of the bar with the façade of a smile plastered on his face. What the fuck did this mean? The last thing he needed right now was yet another wrench thrown into his plans while he was still reeling with a way to meet the demands handed to him earlier today. God did he need a cig right now. The fresh morning air of the market washed over them quickly.

It didn’t take long for the angel to pull them off into a darkened side alley, the path dipping off into thick murky shadows that led to god knows where. The alley was full of potholes overrun with water, the sounds of their footsteps making soft splashes the further they ventured. Caelum knew the market well. This spot was good. Two tall buildings with thick concrete walls sandwiched them in, the nearest window too far out of ear shot to worry.

“You need to tell us what is going on right now,” Terra said as soon as the group came to a stop. She stepped forward towards Antonio’s person, her eyes burning with anger as her gaze bore upwards into his own. “What the fuck have you done?”

For Mizuki to have turned to Antonio for help, a mere stranger--she must have been desperate. Terra ignored the hollow ache that came with the thought that Mizuki hadn't reached out to her at all. Francis said there had been a--a fight. Theodore had reached out to him in a moment of despair, a moment of needing to be talked off the ledge. Whatever had happened between them had left Mizuki in the same boat, yet unlike Theodore, she had chosen Antonio instead. Her gaze flickered over momentarily to Francis, hoping to urge him into supporting her interrogation as she felt her anger rapidly melting into a flimsy disappointment.

1633025789009.png
1634870353550.png

Francis | Antonio

Heavens, this is my fault...I never should have agreed to help if I knew it was going to bring so much division. B-But, she seemed so scared, a-and upset...I...I just wanted to help. I'm sorry...

Antonio smacked a hand on top of his mouth, as if that could keep him from talking anymore. He said it all. He saw the looks of horror his companions had given him, in realization as to what exactly he was saying. He had done...something with or to Mizuki. He was involved in her disappearance somehow, a-and he had warned her. He had warned her that he wasn't one to keep a secret! And, just as he had predicted...he had failed her. Now, he was staring back at three more people who he had disappointed. But, if he was honest? He was happy to finally let it out, because the previous twenty-four hours had been like Hell for him knowing that there were people suffering from her absence, knowing that there would be consequences for the community.

Francis was simply...immobile, too in shock to truly begin to process what exactly the Necromancer was even trying to communicate. They could interpret his confession with various degrees of severity. One...that actively confirmed every fear every vampire had in the face of said Necromancer, one where the witch had the power to steal their second life and use it for vile purposes. Had Mizuki fallen victim at the hands of a Necromancer? Pale and sickened, Francis found himself instinctively leaning away from the Necromancer as if cowering from the witch, his back finding Terra's reassuring presence, especially as she reached out to grip at his arm. That's when he reacted, that's when he was capable of processing her words as she insisted that they had to get Antonio out. The bar was nearly empty, yet cramped, and wandering eyes were starting to make their way toward them, wondering what the scandal had been about.

Antonio watched quietly, patiently, as each individual processed his hasty confession. Francis and Terra were certainly stupefied, utterly disgusted with what he was possibly capable of. While Caelum...an angel...cursed under his breath, taking the last swing of his drink, before slamming the glass down over the bar. He threw a couple of bills, and gave a knowing nod to the bartender. They weren't understanding, they were most likely assuming the worst! He just had to explain, once he explained, they'd understand—!

"H-Hey!", Antonio called out as Caelum smacked a hand over his shoulder, gripped into the fabric of his hoodie and bore down his cool, empty gaze at him that left no room for argument. He was going to go with them, outside—with no witnesses—where they could hurt him. He whimpered, bobbing his head obediently and finding himself forced to stand from the barstool and follow after the trio. Francis had sluggishly shifted his weight around, finding himself in a state of confusion and...and horror. Was Theodore's grief in vain? Was there hope? Or, was he about to learn a truth that would only lead to further bad news for the vampire?

Francis followed after Terra once he was reassured that Caelum had a tight hold over him. He followed the fae out of the bar, where they both waited for Caelum to take the lead since he had the witch in his vice grip. Antonio was shaking, breaking out in a cold sweat, and looked as if he was about to hurl any moment now. Those were the signs of a guilty man, and the more they allowed this information to settle between them, the more Francis declared Antonio a murderer. He had to admit, though...he had never seen Caelum like this before. The smile he thought he was presenting was lifeless and eerie, which probably only added to Antonio's nerves.

Caelum took a sharp turn into a damp and abandoned alleyway a few steps away from the bar, an alleyway filled with puddles from broken pipes and litter that had been piling up throughout the years. This seemed to only bring tears into Antonio's eyes, as he simply kept thinking to himself...I'm going to die today. All of his hard work, how careful he had to been to not get caught...a-and now people he thought could be his friends, his first handful of friends in years...were going to kill him over a misunderstanding. Even if he explained himself, he didn't know how they would react! Would they understand? Gods, he hoped...

Caelum suddenly came to a sharp stop, and after taking a moment to drink in their surroundings, it seemed that this had been an ideal spot for the angel. Francis took a moment to assess the surroundings, as well, and understood why Caelum chose this spot specifically. Before he could open his mouth, Terra was already making demands and hissing out orders. He had to appreciate the little spitfire for a moment silently, before he returned his own harsh gaze over Antonio. Pupils in slits, nails shifting into claws. "Speak".

Antonio sniffled, taking a step back away from Caelum and finding his back quite literally and figuratively against a wall. He knew if he tried to run, they'd simply catch him. And, if he used his Necromancy, the angel could most likely overpower him. He sighed shakily, raising a hand to weakly brush away a few stray tears. "Look, it's not...whatever the hell you are all thinking about", Antonio began, "Okay? I sincerely just wanted to help, I just didn't think all of this would bring on such dire, cosmic consequences", he added, looking to Caelum specifically as he said this. He of course meant The Order.

"Mizuki...Mizuki arrived late last night, sopping wet. It had been raining on the surface when she was dropped off in front of the Brooklyn Bridge. She was crying, and her...the skin on her arms and fingers were torn to shreds. I never found out if it was self-inflicted or by some third party, but all I know is that I had a pretty vulnerable person in front of me and I wanted to help. I welcomed her, I wrapped her arms in bandages and gave her some tea. We began to talk, and she begged me...she begged me to kill her. I, of course, was shocked. I had no idea what she meant and I immediately refused. But, then she clarified that she wanted to fake her death. She wanted to cause a scandal and have the papers do what they always do. Come to false allegations, and in this case, she'd do everything she can to point the accusations to Maximus".

"Mizuki told me she had spoken to him before she came to the Black Market. He's planning a witch hunt against Theodore, and in order to delay that, in order to possibly clear Samantha's name...she needed a new suspect. She came to me, because I specialize in death. With some of her DNA—such as hair, skin, and a molar—I used one of my corpses and made a fake corpse. The body the police have, the Council now has, is a fake. But, no one will know otherwise. To the world...Mizuki Chiba is dead. And, she will keep it that way as she has renounced herself from the Lasombra and from the living. As for her involvement in this group, I don't know. When we finished...she sort of insisted she was tired and that we'd talk later. I came here without her knowing, she's back in my apartment", he insisted, a heavy sigh escaping him, "I'm really sorry, my intentions were innocent".

"...well, we can't fully believe you unless we see her, but if what you are saying is true...If she really wanted to walk away from the Lasombra, then death would have been the only option. Maximus would have hunted her down, otherwise, and her reasoning is sound. This way, she gave Theodore time to escape and this is good material for Samantha's trial. But, this caused a lot of uproar in our community and now The Order is involved. I don't think they'd take kindly if we told them: 'You know that plan you want us to uncover? Yeah, turns out our friend was just playing dead, sorry'. Not that I don't think there's a plan at hand with Maximus, just...this has nothing to do with him...", Francis murmured, pressing his palms into his eyes. What a shit show...at least...at least he had good news for Theodore.

Francis looked to Caelum and Terra, allowing his hands to fall, "What do you guys think we should do now?".

8a3c558d6ddd7d8b1bed6c0a0c5d8781.jpg
0e9a5615153f5b80f40ec81647e04304.jpg

Terra | Caleum

Caleum’s eyes took in the, to put it nicely, complete wreck of a person before them all. Antonio looked like a man staring down the end of his life, face pale and eyes desperate. The angel even expected him to get down on his knees and pray at one point, or at least beg for his life. A stab of pity hit him briefly, but it was quickly washed away by waves of cool apathy. Honestly, Caelum didn’t really care if Antonio had killed Mizuki. He had grown fond of the little vampire; she had quite a brave streak which had entertained him for some time. Hell, without her he would’ve walked away from their fight with the demons in much worse shape than he really had.

But the fact of the matter was, her fate wasn’t even a soft drop of rain in the vast ocean of consequence he found himself lost in. The Order--they only contact and give orders in dire circumstances. Angels were to hold their own. They knew the black and white rules of the contract. Failure to uphold those rules was never a question. Sure, he could get away with the excuse that New York had far outgrown the jurisdiction of one angel since they last assessed its needs. What was one hundred years of rapid development when the archangels did not comprehend time? They were eternal, they were all being. There was no necessity to cling to seconds the way humans did in their brief glimpse of life. The way Caelum had learned to do in his agony. But that excuse wouldn’t work for him. Not after what he did.

His attention snapped back over to Antonio when the man spoke up finally. His words trembled against the air, unsure, desperate to be believed. His details were rapid fire and much of it matched the whirlwind of rumors Caleum had taken the effort to tune into on his way to the bar this morning. Rumors of Maximus being blamed for Mizuki’s death, Theodore having something to do with the murder in the council as Samantha’s accomplice. Gossip traveled fast when it had a hand pushing it along, and two hands were currently at play. Maximus and Mizuki.

The angel listened in silence to the Necromancer’s alibi. His silent and apathetic presence was surely enough to keep the man docile as despite the occasional fidget that erupted from nerves, the man made no effort of resistance.

Terra’s large eyes shifted from boiling anger to a vacant disbelief the longer Antonio talked. Her chest dipped in and out with each breath, her body reeling in shock from the piles of information the Necromancer presented before them.

“I came here without her knowing, she's back in my apartment”

When those last words breathed hastily from Antonio’s mouth in his rapid fire, trembling explanation finally registered in Terra’s mind, it felt like her anger dropped from her body in a wave. Her knees suddenly felt weak, the palm of her hand finding the rough texture of the concrete wall close behind her for stability. The cool surface sunk into her palm, forcing a wave of clarity through her veins. For a moment, the only sound that carried through the cool air was the absent drip of a puddle somewhere in the distance.

Terra silently thanked Francis for his immediate skepticism of the Necromancer’s shockwave of information. She cursed at herself mentally for having allowed the confession to convince her so thoroughly, but in her defense, Antonio’s demeanor did his truth a dire service. No guilty man would be that desperate in telling the truth. And if he had killed her, why walk straight into the people who would most want his head for it?

Caelum huffed a laugh. “Yeah--the Order does not like playing games. No matter if Mizuki has actually been murdered or not, the death itself shone a light on a far more glaring issue. The Archangels began digging around some of the paperwork of reported violations within the past several years to assess the state of the community. And...well...the documents that Cecil stole--they’re a grave violation of the angelic contract. It’s like the sole reason the Sorcerers were instructed to seal them in the first place.”

The angel rubbed his temples in frustration. “In all honesty I should’ve taken the threat of their disappearance more seriously than I did, but alas, regret has no place here. The order knows that Maximus has restricted magic and a means to activate it. So far, they are simply ordering the prevention of a disaster. The clean up of one--well that’s a different kind of consequence to fear,” He mumbled, trailing off with his gaze trained on the floor.

“Anyways--I say it’s worth going to the Necromancer’s apartment to ensure that Mizuki is, in fact, alive,” He shrugged. “Address the elephant in the room and we move forward from there. But regardless of her state, both she and Theodore are now fugitives in the community. We’re going to have to play our moves much differently from here on out,” Caelum let out a sigh. This was stickier than he liked, honestly, but he couldn’t deny that he needed their help. Theodore was directly linked to Samantha, and Mizuki linked to Maximus and the inner workings of the Lasombra. They both had valuable information and ties that would make his life infinitely easier than it currently was presenting itself to be now. He hated to admit it, but he--needed them. Possibly even more than they needed him.

“You can breathe,” He told Antonio, raising a brow at the man’s condition. Dark tendrils of hair curled at his temple from the cold sweat that he was sure the man had been doused in. He bit back a smirk. Disregarding the tone of the situation they all found themselves in, Antonio’s inability to hold such a secret in for longer than--what, a couple of hours? It was hilarious to him. He didn’t know what kind of conscience he expected from someone who dealt in the business of death, but it certainly wasn’t the kind that nearly exploded from one secret. How had this man survived in the black market for as long as he had?

Terra exhaled slowly before looking over to Antonio. It was hard for her to swallow back the bitter anger that lingered on her tongue. He couldn’t have told them sooner? The pain that Theodore went through. She thought back to when he had first entered her apartment. The vacantness that she saw dull in his eyes-- he was barely even present within himself right now. He had waded too far in grief. If the Necromancer had just spoken up sooner, before all of the news articles grabbed their sweaty claws on it, it could have been avoided. But then again, wasn’t Mizuki just as much at fault?

She thought back to what Antonio had said about the vampiress. Her arms had been torn to shreds, either self inflicted or by some external force. What was she doing in that time that the woman had been through such agony? Certainly in no position to help. Terra blinked back a sting of tears in her eyes. She took a deep breath, pushing a determined look onto her face instead. “Well? Lead the way,” She raised an eyebrow at the Necromancer expectantly, arm held outward in the direction of the street.

The group made their way out of the alley silently. It wasn’t the first time the black market spit out a group from one of its many dark, private alleyways. And it certainly wouldn’t be the last. She kept her eyes roaming over the morning routine of people surrounding them. Bartenders and servers were setting out tables, cleaning and tidying storefronts. The market at this time was always so peaceful. There was a certain type of rhythmic predictability to it, Terra had noticed. Everyone had their set routines that they stuck too, a contrast to the wild antics that plagued the bars once inhibitions were lowered to the floor. Unfortunately for her, Terra never got to experience these earlier mornings as often as she’d prefer.

Her pace brought her by Francis’ side--or maybe the vampire set his pace to hers. Nevertheless, they walked side by side, the backs of Antonio and Caelum guiding them through the streets. Terra looked over at Francis briefly, tentatively. She wasn’t really sure how to talk to him now. There was still this flustered feeling that swarmed her whenever she thought about being close to him or being--alone with him. Was it fear? No, it couldn’t be. It was something--different.

“I guess you’ll all be my guests for far longer than we anticipated, huh?” She said absently, dark eyes glancing at him from her peripheral while she walked.

It didn’t take long after for them to approach dark apartment building that stood like a tall, looming shadow. Terra felt a chill ghost across the nape of her neck, hairs standing on end from her now hyper attention to the vast amounts of air swimming behind her. The space felt empty, unoccupied, vulnerable. The abandoned field they had been attacked in stood swathed in dark, creeping shadows. If it wasn’t for misplaced piles of dirt that showed signs of a scuffle, it might as well have been like their battle never took place. Remembering the putrid sulfuric smell on them made her wish it never did happen. Maybe it was her mind playing tricks on her, but it felt as though when she embraced Yun-Seo later that night, that she could smell it on him. Faint, but undeniably the same.

Caelum opened the door to the building, gesturing broadly for Antonio to enter. The old, worn smell of the interior wafted out into the cool air of the market. “Well--after you, our gracious host.”

Last edited:
1661972329969.png1661972379095.png
1634870353550.png

Mizuki |Francis | Antonio

...the death itself shone a light on a far more glaring issue. "Then, you're saying...Mizuki's little stunt actually aided the Order in some way?", Francis hummed, "Still don't see how that concerns us, as this seems to be an issue for The Order", he mumbled, a little under his breath. But, strangely, Caelum began to vent a little, insisting that he should have taken his assignment a little more seriously. They could have all probably avoided this exact predicament. It was his carelessness that allowed for this to snowball, and it was Mizuki's brashness that seemed to expose the dangers that such carelessness had harbored. Though, admittedly...Francis felt a little bad for Caelum. He usually was a closed book, and this was probably the most out of a conversation that they had gotten out of him. Somewhat seemed like he felt a little cornered. And, if it wasn't for Mizuki, he probably could have continued under the radar. Right now, his job seemed to be to prevent the next incoming disaster. Being a Councilman for the Council, Francis didn't want to involve himself too much with the Order...But, if it was a friend who asked to help, he supposed he didn't mind lending a hand.

Antonio was quiet, as Francis and Caelum came to their conclusions and processed what had been shared. That Mizuki was alive, that it had all been a ruse to harm Maximus' reputation and aid Samantha's. She singlehandedly gathered the Order's attention and had thrown their community into chaos and suspicion. At least justice will prevail, one way or another. However, it seemed like it brought a lot of attention over Caelum from...The Order. He was starting to feel guilty, his apology from earlier had been sincere. He truly was—.

I say it’s worth going to the Necromancer’s apartment to ensure that Mizuki is, in fact, alive. "What?", Antonio nearly choked, "She told me she wasn't ready to see anybody, I don't want to disturb her. She'll know I betrayed her trust".

"While that is a kind sentiment, we simply cannot trust you on your word alone", Francis insisted, "We need proof that you didn't just...", he cleared his throat.

"...what...? Killed her myself so I could add her to my super secret, evil army of the undead?", Antonio frowned, "...fine. But, we have to respect her privacy and approach her slowly. She's been through a lot in the last twenty-four hours", he stated. They turned to Caelum as he explained that Theodore and Mizuki were now fugitives in their community, so moving forward, they had to be a lot more calculative of the moves they made.

"I think we'll be fine, there's a reason why I chose to bring Theodore to the Black Market", Francis stated, "The Black Market is a little bit of a no-man's land, and the recipients that dwell within are not one to...snitch, so to say. The Council had no jurisdiction down here, either. Especially not Maximus. Vampires aren't very much loved, so I don't think anyone would really bat an eye if they saw Theodore or Mizuki. I'm sure we can find an enchanted pendant that can keep their physical appearance hidden, somewhere. We just need to find a witch's stand...unless you know how to make one?", he asked, turning to Antonio.

"Oh, um—No, I forgot a lot of the basics when I started studying Necromancy", Antonio admitted, "But, I know some stands, I can direct you all to them, but naturally I'll be keeping a distance", he stated, earning a nod from Francis.

"It's fine, Caelum. Thankfully for us, we live within such a community where tricks and cheats are available to us. We'll figure it out", Francis assured, hearing his rather exasperated sigh and wanting to reassure the angel. He's...never seen Caelum so distressed.

Antonio was still wringing his hands nervously when Caelum suddenly turned to him, hearing the hint of amusement in his tone when he told him he could breathe. Could he, though? He simply frowned and looked away, not entertaining the being who asked him to "breath" as if it was that simple in his anxious state. Just moments ago, they kept acting as if they were going to hurt him, and due to his nature...possibly even believed he'd do something to actively harm someone. They were in every position to turn him into the Council, the Coven, or the Order, his peaceful life easily coming to an end with a single call. Only Heaven knows what either of those organizations would do with someone like him. And, they...they didn't understand. If anything, Antonio turned to Caelum rather bitterly, and regarded all of them with a frown and a hesitant glare. It was through their bias that they treated him like some monster.

Well? Lead the way. Antonio shook out of his agitated thoughts and sighed, brushing past Caelum and the rest as Terra encouraged him to go first. Francis raised a brow at the sudden change in mood, looking to Caelum and offering him a shrug before pausing...upon smelling the slight hints of salt coming from the fae beside him. Was she...crying? Before he could confirm, though..she had suddenly turned away to follow after Antonio, and decided he didn't want to place her on the spot. Once they were in a private setting, he'd check in on her.

The three followed after the Necromancer, with Francis stalking near the back as he eyed their surroundings quietly. Mornings in the Black Market were usually rather serene, as it attracted an entirely different set of creatures. Creatures who had families, who didn't slink and slither within the back alleys of the Black Market. Just...roaming through the Market for their daily groceries or general outings. It was lively, colorful...compared to the stark contrast the night brought. He sighed, thankful that no one was really paying attention to the rather strange array of creatures that stalked after the man that reeked of death.

Through their walking, though, Francis found Terra had fallen back to join his side, a pleasant little surprise. From his peripheral, he found that she kept looking his way, as if she had something to say. But, would eventually fall silent...never leaving his side, though. He found her actions rather adorable and a smile soon joined his lips upon feeling a rush of blood within her. Was she happy to be beside him? Francis liked to believe so.

Eventually, she spoke up, and an amused chortle seemed to escape past him, "Yeah, I suppose we will. I don't want to overstay our welcome, though", Francis quickly insisted, "So, if you'd like your privacy, let us know and I'll try to find a place for us. Though, that's still the original plan. I'm sure there's a hole we can slither into to lay low for a bit", he teased, "...I appreciate everything you're doing for us, though...it's very kind", he offered after a small beat, his voice had lowered an active and his hand...lowering to brush his knuckles against hers rather...affectionately.

Francis was about to ask Terra if she was okay, still noting her glassy gaze and wanting to aid in any way he could...when he found her complexion having paled and a shudder to have left her upon witnessing Antonio's rather imposing apartment complex. He found her gaze had fallen to the nearby abandoned field they had been attacked in, and wondered what exactly could be swimming in that head of hers. She seemed rather contemplative. Did it bring back bad memories? Had the event shaken her a lot more than he had originally believed—?

Well—after you, our gracious host. Oh, they had arrived. Caelum held the door open as Antonio stepped forward, a mumbled "yeah" trailing after the Necromancer as he padded his way up a couple of stairs. Was it...Francis' imagination...or did Antonio seem rather annoyed? He tried not to give it much thought and watched as Antonio paused before the entrance to his apartment.

Antonio looked to the three, "No one is to badger her or crowd her. Give her her space", he ordered rather sternly, "...approach her calmly", he added softly, unlocking his front door and cautiously pushing it open and poking his head in first, "...hey, Mizuki? It's just me, I uh—well, I...Mizuki!", he exclaimed before he rushed inside, leaving the door wide open.

With the sudden panic in Antonio's voice, Francis rushed forward to get a good look at what was happening...only to find...blood. He was taken aback, watching as Antonio knelt down beside the vampiress, which Francis confirmed that it was indeed...Mizuki, but almost an empty shell of what she once was. What...the fuck...happened in the last twenty-four hours? Bloodstained what seemed to be an old t-shirt that Antonio had lent her, as well as her wrists and her lap. And, from the stench...it was her blood. Francis covered his mouth in horror, finding her lips and cheeks were stained red, and had previously had her fingers stuffed in her mouth...chewing away at the skin. Bite marks and scratches littered her arms, both healed and fresh.

Mizuki was sitting by the windowsill, staring out the window blankly and simply enjoying the passerby coming to and fro...wherever it was they were going. She hadn't realized that more than an hour had passed by since Antonio had left, and only then processed a...what felt to be searing pain...in her hands and arms. And, when she looked down, she was stained red. Shit. It started off with her just chewing off a hangnail, but it seemed like that had progressed to actual skin while nervous dragging her claws down her forearm. She processed Antonio fretting over her, rushing to get the first aid kit to wrap her arms in bandages, but soon realized...that they had guests, and her features twisted angrily...

"Antonio, I told you I didn't want to see anyone", Mizuki choked, regarding the three that stood nervously by the door before she looked away, "...tell them to go away".

"They're worried about you, Mizuki. They're your friends", Antonio insisted.

"I—".

"Mizuki, we've been so worried", Francis insisted, taking a shaky step inside, "We grieved, we...we thought you were dead".

"And, it should have stayed that way", Mizuki stated, regarding Antonio with a light leer as he continued to treat her wounds, "It's done, it's over. Samantha can be released soon and you can all go back to your lives. All of this was fake, anyhow. Orchestrated by Maximus and Theodore...Whatever, I want out and I will be leaving tomorrow morning".

"What! Mizuki, you're not making any sense, but I do know that Theodore...Theodore was crushed upon hearing your news. Please, just talk to him and maybe you'll be able to resolve—?".

"No!", Mizuki boomed, whipping her head to regard him with her fangs bared at him, "I do not want to see that bastard ever again! I do not want anything to do with the Council and this twisted fucking community. I am done. And, if you tell Theodore about me...I will kill you myself...", she warned with a low hiss, "Now, get out. I'm done with this conversation", she growled, returning her attention out the window.

f5ddbc2355430a9073beba8d4161234c.jpg

Terra | Caelum
Black Market | Antonio's Apartment​

A fleeting smirk danced across Caelum’s features as he listened to Francis outline his decisions and their next steps forward. He seemed to know quite a bit about how the Black Market worked, more so than he would have expected one of the Vampiric Council’s dogs to know. Caelum himself was integral to keeping the--shadier side of the Black Market alive, not that he’d tell any of them that. He was an angel, he wasn’t stupid to the bad behavior that grew like mold in the cramped alleyways the market housed. So long as the big bosses promised to keep to his personalized set of terms, and offered him a little something in return, Caelum looked the other way on matters that began to step on the toes of the angelic contract.

Since their conversation had shifted back to Antonio and their insistence that he lead them back to prove Mizuki’s wellbeing, Caelum could feel a staticky shift to the Necromancer’s demeanor. Something sharp and cold overtook the anxiety that had consumed him seconds earlier. He furrowed his brow once the man turned away from him, gaze sticking to the flat plane in between his shoulder blades. His posture was rigid. Caelum tilted his head to the side as he followed the man out of the alleyway, curious as to the sudden shift that washed over him. Well--he guessed he’d be pissed if he was in the Necromancer’s shoes as well. Not every day a hunted species gets cornered by one of the authority figures responsible for turning a blind eye to the decimation of their kind. A frown tugged at the corners of Caelum’s mouth. Best not to dredge up memories now.

Terra nodded slowly, large eyes taking in the vampire’s expression beside her while he talked. “Yeah--yeah of course,” She smiled at Francis softly, reassuringly. “I was thinking along the same lines. My apartment is safe, but its safety comes with the cost of being not so discreet. I’m sure some of the other fae tenants have already started to jitter about Theodore’s scent being there as long as it has,” She laughed nervously. Truthfully, they were probably beginning to panic and form an intervention for her already. It took months for them to warm up to the constant coming and going of Sorcerers from her apartment (mainly Yun-Seo), she could only imagine what they were thinking of her fraternizing with a vampire next. She glanced over at Francis, cursing herself mentally as she felt heat rise to her cheeks at the thought of others seeing them as a--pair. She sucked in a small, imperceptible breath when she felt his knuckles pass against her own. Her gaze flicked over to him for a millisecond, but there was nothing different about his body language. She focused on Caelum’s lazy gait in front of her instead. He must’ve just shifted by accident, he didn’t think anything of it.

He had been lax for most of the journery to the apartment, believing in the Necromancer's claims of Mizuki's safety. After all, his alibi and explanation did make a lot of sense. Who in their right mind would throw themselves at the foot of an angel after committing a direct violation of the angelic contract? It was suicide. Yet, that feeling of ease within him shifted as soon as the stench of blood hit Caelum's nose. All it took was one waft of air from the now open door to Antonio's apartment building. It was like a slap to the face, how strong and fresh it was. Terra jolted at the sudden increase in the electric tension that normally swam around Caelum’s person. She had managed to get used to the zingy, strange feelings his divine energy had on her body, but this sudden increase in tension had her heart racing and the hairs on the back of her neck stand. He must have sensed something, why was he suddenly on guard? Her eyes searched his figure frantically, taking the steps with a faster stride after the men in front of her.

“What--what’s happening?” She said, voice trembling once she heard the panic settle in Antonio’s words from inside his apartment. She flinched as Francis pushed past her in the hall, past Caelum in the doorway, to get a look at what had startled the Necromancer. Ice ran through her veins when she made it to the doorway. There was--so much blood. The smell of it was heavy and thick coating her senses. When her eyes, wide as saucers, lifted up to take in the sight of Mizuki being fussed over by Antonio, her arms looking as if they had been mauled by a wild animal, tears began to well up and break, running rivers down her cheeks.

“Mizuki,” Terra choked out, stifling a sob. The fae was unable to hold back the pain at seeing the vampiress in such a state, clutching the frame of the doorway to hold herself upright as despair ripped through her. Her brow furrowed in confusion to hear the explanation Mizuki offered them. She was talking nonsense. Theodore and--Maximus? Wasn’t that the vampire Theodore had mentioned with a sneer? She couldn’t imagine all that pain and grief she saw in him was fake, there was no way to replicate the vacant look she had seen in the vampire’s eyes.

“Mizuki, please,” She said, her voice fragile and barely audible in its plea. The guilt she harbored earlier for being so unaware of the vampire's suffering was now drowning her, making her breathing quick and her chest tight. The fae flinched hard at Mizuki’s sudden change in tone, her voice shredding the calm silence of Antonio’s apartment. Between the hostility of her friend and the increasing pressure of Caelum’s divine energy, Terra sunk down to her knees, feeling impossibly small and out of her depths.

“Mizuki,” Caelum said, his voice flat and distant. “I understand you are upset and angry, but now is not the time to push us away. We have a problem larger than all of us, and your cooperation will be imperative. The Order is getting involved. Maximus’ fate will not be wrapped up as neatly as you anticipated with your death,” He paused for a beat, dark eyes studying her face. “He’s--planning something. It’s going to impact more than just the vampire world,” He finished. The angel turned to Francis, locking eyes with the man as if to say ‘Got any ideas?’

1661972329969.png
1661972379095.png
1634870353550.png

"Yeah...I imagine that complex is a bit of a safe house for you and other fae, and they have the right to feel safe...I promise we won't be sleeping on your couch for more than a few days. I already have a few places in mind, and if we manage to get our hands on a few enchanted amulets to keep our identity hidden, then I think we'll manage some secrecy until we can figure this mess out", Francis hummed, his voice kind. After he brushed his knuckles against her hand, he didn't notice a change in her demeanor nor a replication of the action. Just a small, excited rush of blood, but that could be any number of things. He tried to ignore the small twinge of disappointment that blossomed over his chest, supposing he could play it off as a consequence of inelegant footwork. Thankfully, the apartment building Antonio resided in was just up ahead, even if it seemed to bring up a few uncomfortable memories for Terra. It mustn't be easy to be a fae and be surrounded by some pretty dangerous creatures. A few vampires, an apathetic angel, and a Necromancer.

Francis peeled his attention away from Terra and looked toward the complex they were slowly approaching as it loomed over them while they approached cautiously. Antonio led the way and Francis made sure to follow behind Terra. He opened the door for her, smiled reassuringly for her, and trekked after her while maintaining a safe distance. No one could predict the carnage they were about to witness, and all it took was one whiff from the inside of Antonio's apartment to know something was very wrong. The smell of fresh, tainted vampiric blood was unmistakable for Francis, even if the iron scent mingled with the smell of the dead and formaldehyde.

Francis rushed forward the moment the door was swung open and Antonio cried out Mizuki's name in a panic. He weaved around the fae, excusing himself before he skidded to a stop in front of the open door that framed the bloodied scene for them. Francis ignored the chill that ran down his spine the moment he stood next to Caelum, feeling the air around them sparkle and crackle under the weight of the angel's electrifying aura. No, instead, he tried to focus solely on their friend...Mizuki, who was practically draped over the windowsill, staring out of it intently while she continued to drag her claws against her skin until Antonio intervened and fretted. It was as if she could barely process his presence at first, completely out of it and utterly engrossed in whatever torturous reality she had made up for herself in her mind's eye.

Mizuki was just telling Antonio, barking at him, that she didn't want to see anyone when Terra settled beside him and asked what was happening. Francis looked down and swiveled around, resting his hands on her shoulders to try and nudge her away from the gore and blood, to try and keep her from seeing her friend in such a state..."Terra, you should wait downstairs—". But, it was too late. She grew tense under his hands, her expression wide and pale as she drank in the bloodied, crimson sight of their friend who sneered their way. The very sight made Terra's eyes well up with tears and Francis moved on instinct. He brushed his thumb under her eyes, brushing a few tears away with the whispered promise that they were going to help Mizuki. That everything was going to be okay. But, Terra wasn't listening to him. Far too lost in the grief that went with seeing a friend so downtrodden.

Francis pursed his lips together, worry painting his features before he guided her toward the door's frame for her to lean against. He could help her later, for now...the priority was the bleeding, aggressive vampiress that snapped at them to leave. That insisted she wasn't going to see this out any longer, and that...she was leaving. Where was she going to go? And, worst of all...she threatened him. Insisted that if he were to even breathe the truth to Theodore...she could kill him herself. Francis frowned, not taking her threats seriously. Instead, he recognized the irritated red around her eyes that seemed to grow and spread. Almost like a sickly rash. He knew what that meant for a vampire, knew that it was dangerous to just let her wander off in this state.

Though, even as Mizuki hissed at them and insisted she didn't want to see them...it was Terra's voice that cut through the aggressive spiel that made Mizuki soften. Even if for a moment. The twisted expression that painted her features began to melt as she settled her red and irritated gaze over the fae...hating that such a sweet creature had to see her in such a state. Calling her name, pleading with her...it simply broke her heart that this was how it had to end....Her lower lip trembled ever so slightly before she looked away altogether and simply sat still while Antonio worked on her arms. In her mind, she was done with the conversation.

Francis stood idly, trying to come up with the right words to say to her when it was actually...Caelum who spoke up. He looked to Terra upon seeing movement in his peripheral and watched as she sank to the ground, so he naturally followed her and knelt beside her with arm curled around her shoulders while Caelum gave it his best shot with Mizuki.

Mizuki's shoulders grew stiff, her demeanor uncomfortable when Caelum spoke. Stating that "he understood" in that monotone way of his. It made her grind her teeth together and her hands balling up into fists, especially as he went on to talk about a problem larger than all of them...that her cooperation was imperative? The Order?! "Caelum...", she began softly, leering out the window as she tried not to let her temper get the better of her, "...I don't think you understand...just how much I don't give a fuck right now!", she shouted, whipping her attention back toward the angel and all but tearing herself away from the Necromancer and storming toward Caelum.

Antonio had stumbled, a roll of gauze trailing after Mizuki as she was mere inches away from Caelum's face, "That very much sounds like a you problem right now, but I am done with this nonsense. Let's not kid ourselves! What exactly can we do about it? Huh? We have an anxious Necromancer who doesn't even want to show his face to the world. We have an alcoholic, apathetic angel who doesn't seem to give a shit about anything. We have a vampire working for the Council that is all talk and no action, and afraid of his own shadow. A fae. And, a piece of shit fucking liar who betrayed my trust! So, what is any of us going to do about the state of the world? I say, let it burn. Let Maximus have its way with it, because I don't care anymore. It's never shown me any kindness, so why should I?".

Francis stood up after briefly locking eyes with Caelum, extending his hands out innocently to show he wasn't a threat, "Mizuki...please, let's settle down. Let's have some tea, let's sit down. Why don't you go take a shower and change out of these clothes, and you can tell us what happened with the "piece of shit fucking liar who betrayed your trust", okay? I'm sure we can work something out, but Caelum is right. Your help will be great and I know you've given up, but we need you—".

"I don't care!", Mizuki shouted, a hiccup of a sob choking out of her. Tears now began to run down her cheeks and she violently brushed them away, "I-I...don't care...", her voice broke, "I've lived too long, Francis. I've just shortly realized that none of this really matters, that I've made no real connections in this life of mine. That I should have died the day I turned...I'm just...really tired. And, honestly...I'd love to see our community fall. The reign of vampires should end. And, I'll watch it fall from a distance. I'm leaving tomorrow and nothing is going to change that...So, you all might as well just leave now. Count me out...", she muttered, turning and motioning back toward Antonio so that he can continue with the bandages.

Francis sighed, looking to Caelum with a frown. He had one idea. But, they would have to figure out how to get Mizuki's to Terra's or...Theodore here. Without either of them being seen. He might have a small idea, but they'd have to visit a witch's stand. He nudged Caelum lightly, "...let's go, there's no talking to her", he murmured, though gave the angel a small wink as he extended a hand to Terra to help her to her feet, "We have some shopping to do anyhow".

9a7d1fc9986bcc14f50cb74d00f36d6d.jpg
8b0697933eccc11822fa389b04bb45de.jpg

Terra | Caelum

“Fuck,” Caelum thought to himself. The longer he spoke, the more he witnessed the planes of Mizuki’s figure harden and turn rigid in her seated position within the window frame, as if Medusa herself had turned the woman to stone. He could only let out a soft sigh at her response. It was worth a shot, he guessed. She wasn’t the first one to blink at him emptily after witnessing his urgency to explain the importance of staying on the Order’s good side. They were black and white in their judgment. If it became known, and it always became known, that the people in this room knew about the threat Maximus posed and chose to do nothing about it---well it was just as severe a punishment as having committed the acts themselves. And Caelum...he couldn’t stand by and watch the Order punish the innocent. Not again.

His eyes bore into Mizuki’s own, and unlike Antonio, Caelum didn’t flinch as the vampiress lunged forward towards him. Her insults were raw, angry. She didn’t care who she hurt in her tirade, and judging from the shift in energy from those around them, Caelum could tell the stray bullets that caught them in her blind fire had hurt them more than Mizuki would care to acknowledge. His dark eyes ventured to Antonio, the look in them softened in apology.

Blood dripped openly from the wounds on Mizuki’s arms, choking the Angel’s senses. All he could seem to focus on was the thick patter of blood pooling down onto the wooden floor beneath them. How easy would that be to clean, he wondered. Certainly another hassle placed on Antonio’s shoulders. His mind focused again on Mizuki in front of him. The woman’s pale complexion looked like ice contrasted against the dark slash of her hair and the bright crimson red of blood running rivers down her arms. Her pupils, narrowed down to just thin slits, glinted the same wild panic he knew all too well. The look of someone who had lost everything. All their options, all their sanity. Just left with the raw panic and anger of a trapped animal slowly watching their hunter approach.

“Thank god,” Caelum thought after Francis stood up to intervene. “A voice of reason.” But even the suave councilman was no match for the rage that was tearing through the vampiress like a storm. Her hands left smeared pink streaks upon the unmarked skin of her face, blood having mixed with tears, paling in color as she tore at the rivers running freely from her eyes.

He nodded to Francis. Leaving was a great idea. With Mizuki in this state, they would be making no progress. If anything, they were diving backwards at an alarming pace. “You’ll be okay with her by yourself?” Caelum asked Antonio, his eyes steady and attentive on the necromancer. Maybe he had misjudged him earlier. If this level of emotional distress was something he had dealt with alone, especially with how--mortal he was, he couldn’t imagine what the last day had been filled with. Mizuki’s despair was electric, even more suffocating than his own divine energy. Maybe there was more to this man than Caelum had initially given him credit for.

Caelum gestured for Francis to lead the way, making his way silently back through the corridor of the old apartment building. A break from all of--this sounded like a heavenly idea. The angel took a deep breath of the morning air once emerging outside, tilting his head back and staring with vacant eyes at the air above them. “Well--what’s your big plan Mr.Councilman?” He teased, the look in his eyes bouncing with amusement. They needed--something to lift the tension after how heavy the air was back in the apartment. Terra’s form was basically shriveled into Francis’ side. Caelum could feel how crushed her spirit was in that moment. Weak and fluttering, barely able to pull herself from the drowning swells of emotion that Mizuki had caused within her.

“Am I--” Terra’s voice was shaky. She cleared her throat and tried again after a beat, “Am I really that much of a burden to you all?” Her eyes were glassy, disillusioned as they looked up at Francis for confirmation. When they had fought the demons before, what was she besides a risk to them all? “A fae” Mizuki’s voice echoed in Terra’s mind.

Caelum stayed silent, allowing Francis the room to reassure the troubled fae as they began making their way back through the narrow alleys of the black market. His shoes scuffed over the smooth cobblestone streets, kicking up a bit of the dust that lay over the ground like a blanket. His eyes lazily swiped around the storefronts, the interiors and goods for sale shifting in regards to their location. There were more people out now that the lethargy of morning had begun to give way to a more energetic hour. They swarmed around magical objects and food goods, chatting amiably. But there was an edge to their movements, so elusive that even Caelum had a hard time picking out the feeling. People knew there was a strange air coming in and making itself home within them. Its unease would only grow in strength the closer it got to the time of Maximus' plan. They barely had time to stop Maximus, let alone deal with Mizuki's mental break on top of it. What exactly did Francis have in mind that could possibly rectify that situation they had just left?

“Would letting her leave--” Caelum paused, his hand idly reaching up to touch a crystal necklace as they passed by the stall. The amethyst glimmered brilliantly, a faint shimmer of magical dust swimming in a cloud within it. “Would it really be such a bad thing? I mean--I’ll find a way to make up for the advantages her position affords us. I won’t have a choice. We will have to stop Maximus still, with her cooperation or not. You wouldn’t consider this just a waste of time?” His eyes finally turned to Francis then, locking gazes with him. In the artificial lighting of the market, Caelum’s pupils swam freely within the darkness of his irises in a solid inky pool of black.

1661972329969.png
1661972379095.png
1634870353550.png

Location: Antonio's Apartment | Black Market | Witches Alley​

Antonio had stumbled onto his knees and was forced to look up at the altercation between Mizuki and Caelum as she hurled insults his way and then redirected her words toward the others. Trying to make her point that they were...imperfect individuals facing an impossible situation. In a way, she was right...not that he was agreeing with what she said about the others, but at least what she said about him...she made a good point. These creatures had sought him out in order to assist them in deciphering the runes only a Necromancer might be able to recognize. They believed in his ability, but the trust between them faltered due to his namesake. They were wary of him just as much as he was of them. And, he was equally wary of the world outside of the Black Market. If the Coven so much as hears whisperings of his presence, of his workings...they'd hunt him down and execute him. Whatever expectations these creatures had of him...he could never reach due to how terrified he was of...existing. What help could he truly offer them?

Whether the rest of what Mizuki had shouted was true or not was irrelevant to him. Antonio found himself looking up toward Caelum, as the angel seemed to turn to him apologetically. Antonio offered the creature a small smile. A little tired, but present. He didn't mind.

It didn't take long for Francis to stand his full height before Mizuki, drinking in the image of...a heartbroken woman. He didn't take her words seriously, because he knew she was talking from a place of hurt and anger. It was very human of her to want to hurt the people around her, just not very kind. But, something told him that once she snapped out of it...she would probably feel very ashamed. Instead of allowing her words to cut him, Francis approached her with his palms open and facing toward her to give the illusion of a welcomed stance. He tried to reason with her, insisting that they should have tea together. Sit down after she changed out of her clothes, and talk about what happened. Maybe once she communicated, they could clear up some sort of misunderstanding.

But, she quickly rejected him. Mizuki stumbled back as if he approached her threateningly, flinching and insisting that...simply it was over. She was done. She had been burned too many times by the world, by her community. By her peers. It was over, it was time to give up. She was going to leave tomorrow morning and there was nothing, and no one, who could stop her. With one last sniffle, she muttered out her insistence that she simply be counted out of this project they had forced themselves into and returned to Antonio's side. She even offered him a hand from where he sat on the group and helped him to his feet. Antonio sat down beside her once again and began to help her with her bandages while she looked out the window.

Francis simply nodded. There wasn't much more they could do or say to convince her to come with them. She had made up her mind in just twenty-four hours of being apart from them. What the hell had happened? He lightly nudged Caelum, insisting out loud it was time to leave. Plus, they had some errands to do anyhow...

Antonio had resumed what he originally wanted to do. Patch up his house guest. Honestly, he hadn't minded her presence in his home. This was the first time he had seen her so agitated and aggressive. When she first appeared on his doorstep, she was just...sad. Begging him softly to please help her. How could he deny her when she clearly looked as if she felt so alone in this world...? She was patient with him when he collected samples from her. She even allowed herself to curiously ask him a few questions about the equipment in his morgue. After some time, she stopped scratching and crying altogether, much too distracted by Antonio and his strange way of life to think about the last few hours. They had dinner together after they planted the body, some wine, and he tucked her to bed...only waking up to find a few messages from the rest of the group that wanted to meet up. It was when she was alone that she allowed herself to stew...so he very much regretted having just left her.

So, when Caelum asked if he was going to be okay with her by himself, Antonio turned to the angel with a confident smile, "I'll be fine", he assured. The question seemed to only irritate Mizuki as she muttered a few curses under her breath, but didn't act on her agitation. Instead, Antonio turned to Mizuki with soft promises of warm tea and a hot shower later, once her wounds healed. "How does that sound?", he asked her in a whisper, before he earned a tearful look and a weak bob to her head.

"...okay", Mizuki offered hoarsely.

Francis cast one last glance toward Mizuki, worried about the red, flaky rash that was starting to form around her eyes. He helped Terra up to her feet, wrapping an arm around her small figure while he guided the two creatures out of the apartment complex. Once they were outside, breathing in the smog of the Black Market and the different spiced herbs that came from the food stalls they passed, Caelum seemed to ask him what was their next move, "I'm not sure, actually", he hummed, his eyes dancing over the many stalls while his thumb gently caressed Terra's shoulder, "I do know that whatever we cook up needs to involve Theodore. I think whatever happened...they just need to talk it out. I honestly think her insistence to keep away from the group or to walk away is due to the fact that Theodore is a part of it. She just doesn't want to be near him for whatever reason...But, something tells me that handsome face of his can convince anyone to do anything, so we'll be fine...just need to set up our chess pieces correctly...", he mused softly.

The vampire paused, though...the moment Terra's voice shakily cut through their brief pause. Francis came to a full stop, turning to give Terra his undivided attention as she...heartbreakingly asked if she was simply a burden to them. The way her voice broke nearly made the vampire's knees buck together. Ah, he was weak to her, wasn't he...?

"Terra", Francis began, parting from her side to full face her while he rested determined hands over her shoulders. He leaned down, so that the two were face to face, "...you have more passion and wit than any one of us combined. The way you take charge is inspiring and I wish I had the same liveliness your eyes hold most days. You are our guide, you are a voice of reason...and I believe you provide a perspective that is lost on creatures like us. Sure, you can't beat down a few demons. Neither can I", he shrugged, "But, you have other skills that the rest of us don't, a knowledge that we could only wish to have. I think I speak for all of us, and even for Mizuki, that you are valued. Mizuki...is just hurt. Not that that justifies her being a dick, but I think she's been under a lot of pressure for a long time now and she finally snapped. You know us vampires...just a bunch of drama queens...", he teased softly, "But, no...you are far from a burden. The skills that you lack, we'll make up for them. And, the skills that we lack...you make up for them...I think we all compliment each other nicely, even if it's something Caelum will never admit to", he let out a soft laugh, sending a small teasing jab against Caelum's expense.

"Once we bring Mizuki down from whatever ledge she's on, you'll see what I mean...", Francis hummed. He offered his hand for Terra to grab and hold...and this time...he made sure to weave their fingers together, he made sure to keep her close. Acting as if the act itself hadn't flustered him. Instead, he marched forward along with the other two as they made their way back toward the main street of the Black Market, wanting to walk down Witches Alley.

Francis was reading through the title cards and carding through the trinkets that adorned Witches Alley to see if he could find what he needed before they could head back to Terra's apartment. He knew it existed, and he knew it was quite pricey, but it would make their moving forward much easier for all involved. Francis perked up when Caelum spoke up, though, a small frown decorating his lips as he pondered over the idea the angel was suddenly presenting...letting her leave?

"I suppose you're right", Francis stated, though made no move to actually stop his searching, "Though, Mizuki has lived with Maximus for thirty years. She's attended several conferences with him. Knowledge none of us have. Mizuki has an interesting gift that might aid us in facing other vampires. Plus, she's our friend...", he dragged his eyes toward the angel somewhat stoically, "...I can't...in good faith...let her leave when her heart feels so heavy. Not without giving it my best foot forward, not without trying to help Theodore who is grieving her loss. One day is not going to kill us, Caelum...".

"Not only that...did you notice the rash and the irritation in the sclera in her eyes?", Francis hummed, smiling politely for a witch as he began to browse through her charms, "...she's growing feral. If she steps out of this Market and digs a deeper hole for herself, she will kill many people, and then she'll be lost for good. I don't think the Order would like a feral vampire running around the mortal realm, right?", he asked, flicking his attention toward the angel before he returned his attention to the witch and asked for two of the ruby pendants she was selling. A small veiling hex had been sprinkled over the pendants. And, he could gift them to Theodore and Mizuki. He had his own Gift, he could hide from others easily...but there might be moments he couldn't always be with those two to offer them a hand.

Francis slid out his wallet and paid the kind witch, thanking her for service...but instead of two brown boxes tied up in string and fig leaves...he was given three. He bought three items, and as they walked away...he handed the third box to Terra, "For you...", he hummed softly, "...open it when you're alone. I'm much too shy to have you open it in front of me", he smiled.

"Now, let's go back to Terra's apartment and I will go in to talk to Theodore...but I'd appreciate it if you guys were to wait outside. I don't know how he's going to react to me telling him Mizuki is alive. I don't care for her threats and she honestly doesn't scare me...".

38c2161dbd4c27c7ea6650e6694ba002.jpg
f910198049f052bee0a8142f5c1c98cd.jpg
a8a47b9a1bbd4cf33925b4f7432c0073.jpg

Theodore | Terra | Caelum
Location: Witch's Alley, The Black Market, Terra's Apartment​

In the time that the group had met up with Antonio and traveled back to his apartment, Theodore had not moved from his place upon Terra’s couch. The artificial light that illuminated the daytime hours of the market had long since shifted from the soft morning glaze to a harsher, brighter afternoon--yet Theodore remained motionless on the couch. His empty gaze was looking at nothing. He was too lost in thought, his mind turning over every thing that had happened within the last several days in a never ending circle. His sadness had been extended far past the reserves he was capable of storing within himself, and the well that once overflowed in his palms and dripped in between his fingers had since dried up and left his skin dehydrated.

With emotion out of the way, Theodore was left to stew within a rare level of clarity for someone so defenseless to the tides and influence of the emotions within him. So--he sat on Terra’s couch motionless, analyzing the events that haunted him with a new level of understanding. Throughout it all, he always returned back to one, undeniable conclusion. Everything that had happened to him, to Mizuki and the rest of the group, it all traced back in muddy footprints to one solitary figure. Maximus. He had set up the plan to murder his fellow councilman, to frame Samantha for it and create such a hellscape for he and Mizuki that she was driven to death.

Instead of sadness to dampen his skin into a weeping, waterlogged mess, a small flicker of anger flared to life in his chest. Maximus was to blame for this. While the blame for the events with Mizuki’s breakdown had ultimately fallen down onto Theodore’s own actions, the person to blame for the creation of such a situation was in the end, Maximus. If it wasn’t for his power hungry mentality, they’d all be able to live in the peace they had grown to know. Theodore grit his teeth together, fangs bared and jaw tight. What was groveling around feeling sorry for himself going to do? He had spent too much time being coddled in Samantha’s arms, shielded from the violence and horrors that this supernatural society living in the shadow of New York was home to. But there was no more hiding--not anymore. As much as he wanted, as much as he tried to run from it, Theodore no longer belonged to the predictable world he had grown up in. He was no longer human--thus this veiled city nestled in the underbelly of what he knew--that was now his home. The violence and evil intentions that lied within it, well, it belonged to him just as much as he did to it.

He jolted upright, eyes peering out at the street when he felt the familiar zing of Caelum’s divine energy inch its way through the hair at the nape of his neck. This was perfect timing. His revelation had allowed him a renewed focus, a renewed goal to ground him from the weightless tumble Mizuki’s death had spiraled him into. He pushed himself off the couch, waiting for the small group to enter with a manic spark igniting the misty blue of his eyes.

----

Terra swallowed hard, looking into Francis’ eyes now that he bent his frame down to see her on her level. His words of encouragement--made sense, but the feeling of insecurity that had washed over her at Mizuki’s biting words was too strong. The wound was fresh and raw, its pain too hard for Terra to block out. Though she appreciated Francis’ kind words nonetheless. His concern for her softened her--edging back some of the sharp edges of pain that consumed her currently.

She smiled, offering a reluctant nod to pair with Francis’ chuckle. Her pain--at the moment, wasn’t important. She would choke it down no matter how much it lodged itself within her flesh, until the presence of it faded and dissolved entirely. They had--more important things to focus on, given the scene they had just walked out of. She sucked in a small breath when Francis wove their fingers together, the tender action allowing her to forget--just for a second, about the previous events within the apartment. She allowed the giddiness of butterflies to flare within her stomach before they drowned in the tar of her pain, and they continued further into the black market, leaving the blood stains and pain of Mizuki’s suffering behind them.

It didn’t take them long to reach the busier streets of the black market, the streets strewn with a milling crowd of regulars and tourists. They were sights that had long since been cemented into Terra’s mind, their elegance and mystical splendor lost on her. It seemed Francis was leading them further towards--Witch's Alley? What business did he have here? Terra glanced up at him briefly in confusion, but decided against questioning the matter further. They’d find out soon, after all.

Caelum merely hummed in response to Francis’ reasoning. He couldn’t argue with the man, it made sense. “I suppose you’re right,” Caelum said, glancing at him from his peripheral, his dark curls partially obscuring the look in his eye. He held a corked vial in his hand, sloshing the liquid inside from side to side as he observed it. His attention halted at what Francis had to add to their topic. He sighed, turning his full attention towards Francis this time. “An execution order would be filed for her, most likely. It’s not something I like to see. Especially for someone I’ve come to--” His expression twitched momentarily before adding, “--know.”

His eyes followed the suave motions of Francis’ hands while he carried out a transaction with one of the vendors. The man knew how to carry himself in an enticing way, someone who knew the importance of his impression on others. The more calm and confident you appeared, the more people were willing to do what you wanted. The things he said would begin to hold more substance and his ideas would shine brighter in comparison. Caelum remembered what it was like to hold himself so highly. To ensure every movement of his body reflected the power and divinity of an angel. It was exhausting.

Terra accepted Francis’ gift, her palm gliding over the smooth surface of the box now in her possession. “What--” Her words cut off as she inspected the gift. “I don’t quite know what I’ve done to accept a gift--but,” Her grip tightened on the pliant cardboard, keeping it secure within her grasp. “Thank you,” She smiled.

---

“Francis?” Theodore’s voice lifted in confusion. He leaned to the side, peering out behind the man to check for any signs of company in the hallway. “Well--why aren’t Terra and Caelum coming in?” He asked, moving to peer at their figures still lingering in the alleyway outside. His demeanor was lined with erraticism and staticky energy. “Whatever--it’s not really that important. How did the meeting with Caelum go? Did he say anything about Maximus?”

He walked over to meet Francis closer to the entryway, his eyes bright. “Listen--I’ve had time to think and process--and I’m just--I’m done. You know? I’m done being walked over and feeling sorry for myself. It’s what made all this happen. I wasn’t strong enough for Mizuki, for Samantha. And I’m done with that. We’re going to take down Maximus, yeah? We’re going to nail that bastard and make him pay for everything. It’s all his fault, the whole thing.”

As Theodore talked, signs of anger and excitement grew stronger within his person. His pupils narrowed into thinner slits, his fangs gleaming in the late afternoon light. His behavior had been completely reborn from the ashes of the empty, pitiful mess that Francis had left him in earlier in the day and, like a phoenix, was infinitely more volatile upon initial rebirth.

Last edited:
1661972379095.png

Francis

I suppose you’re right. "Of course I am, I am wise beyond my years", Francis offered a toothy grin for the angel, only for it to falter at the mention of an execution order. Well, at least they were on the same page that they should like to avoid that for someone they...know as Caelum so eloquently put it. Francis chortled, knowing they had a soft spot in that grouch's heart. Even if he didn't want to admit it.

Francis stopped before a booth selling all sorts of pendants and hexed jewelry. The trinkets shined their glimmer iridescently and the vampire was utterly entranced by everything he saw. But, he knew exactly what he was looking for and ask for two veiling spells. The third gift he had bought had been done discreetly, as he managed to communicate quietly that it was for the fae beside him. Though, anyone looking from an outsider's perspective, Francis had leaned into the booth quite heavily and was offering the witch a rather roguish grin, telling her how beautiful her hair looked as it had clearly been dyed with a potion that allowed for color changing hair based on how much she stepped into the light. He caught sight of the opalescent effect and was simply entranced by it!

This had managed to get him both a blush and a discount on all three items. Francis thanked the vendor kindly before he began guiding Caelum and Terra back to her apartment so that they could speak with Theodore. Not before he paused and handed her the paper box, insisting it was a gift...for her. But, to please not open it until she was in private. He was much too shy. She seemed surprised—pleasantly surprised, thankfully—and thanked him kindly for the gift. He offered her a much warmer smile than he had given the witch, his hands in his pockets and shrugging his shoulders as if to show it wasn't a big deal, "I don't think there needs to be a reason to give someone a gift, hm? You're very welcome, I hope it helps cheer you up", he offered softly.

~

Upon arriving at Terra's apartment, Francis quietly reminded both of his companions that he wanted to go in first. Assess the situation and calmly explain to him what they had just recently learned. He...had no idea how Theodore was going to take the news, so it was best to not crowd him.

Francis was given Terra's key and swiftly unlocked the door, pushing it open slowly and poking his head in to call out for Theodore. Thankfully, the voice that responded sounded a lot livelier than he had expected. And, the source of said voice looked...better? Was this an improvement? Theodore had approached him, confused, asking why Terra and Caelum didn't seem to be coming inside. The energy that was bouncing out of Theodore was strange and Francis had to reorient his approach. "Oh, well—", he was suddenly cutoff by the hyper energy that seemed to simply radiate from Theodore, the vampire insisting it didn't matter and was wondering if they knew more about Maximus from the meeting with Caelum.

And, it didn't end there. Theodore's eyes were wide and bright with some sort of manic energy as he now began to word vomit his whole thought process, and Francis thought it was probably best to just let the vampire talk himself out. He offered one last look toward Terra and Caelum, offered them a nod, and stepped into the apartment while closing—and locking—the door behind him.

Theodore was now going on about how he's had all this time to think and his conclusion? He was done. He wanted to stand up for himself, and stop feeling pity for himself. He wanted to be stronger for the people he loved since he hadn't been strong for Mizuki or Samantha. He wanted to take down Maximus and insisted everything was his fault. His pupils were thin and his fangs were sharper than ever, and Francis...Francis took a deep breath.

"Okay, bud...come...", Francis finally approached Theodore, never afraid the young vampire would make a swipe at him. He rested a hand on the middle of his back and guided him toward the breakfast table, where he then prompted him to sit down. He sat down right across from him and presented him with two, rectangular paper boxes, "The meeting with Caelum was very informative. Basically, The Order shares your sentiments, they want us to investigate Maximus' involvement in all of this and they want us to put an end to this. I have my...reservations because I don't know just how far this all goes and I'm honestly a little scared...But, we can talk about that later, as a group".

"For now, I learned about something else that I think needs our most immediate attention and something tells me you're the only one who can help us", Francis insisted, taking a small breath, "I bought you a necklace with a veiling spell. I also bought a second one. You might be wondering who else needs to hide from the everyday passerby, and you'd be right to wonder", he hummed, taking a small pause to lick his lips. He was a little nervous.

"Theodore...I don't know how to say this, other than to just rip off the bandaid. Mizuki...Mizuki is alive", Francis announced, staring the youngling down, assessing his reaction before continuing, "I saw her with my own two eyes and you know I'd never lie to you...", he offered in a hushed and kind tone, resting a hand on top of Theodore's, "She can explain to you the how and why, but I think she needs our help. She's growing feral, Theodore, and really hurting herself. She insists she's done with the group and wants to move on by leaving. First thing tomorrow morning. She won't listen to me, she won't listen to Caelum. She seemed somewhat soft toward Terra and Antonio, but no one can talk any sense into her".

"...but I think you could...and maybe you can talk about what happened—whatever it is that happened. I think she's just angry and scared, I don't think she means or had meant to hurt anyone. So...if you put on this pendant, we can all go back to Antonio's so that you can see for yourself. What do you say? If you're not up for it, that's okay. If you're not ready, that's okay too. We can just...let her go on her own, and just hope for the best", Francis hummed.

c6d961dde8ff7fa7d7a361655c7383bc.jpg

Theodore

Theodore blinked slowly at Francis’ cautious response. Shouldn’t the vampire be happy that he had bounced out of the fog he had stumbled through the night before? He was ready to go, to enact their plan and achieve the goals both of them had aimed for. Yet instead of the enthusiastic support from the older vampire, Theodore found himself being pulled over to a small wooden table Terra had situated in the kitchen.

He sat down, confusion hardening his features. The chair’s old joints groaned in light protest. Theodore’s misty eyes scanned the boxes Francis set atop the table. As usual, the vampire’s actions were smooth, effortless. But why did it feel like he was stepping across eggshells right now?

“That’s great!” Theodore responded enthusiastically, sitting up further in his chair. His palms rested on the smooth wooden surface of the table before him. It was cold to the touch, soothing the wounds that had bitten into his palms from carrying such clenched fists for so long. The enthusiasm died on his tongue, the taste turning sour the longer Francis talked. What could be more pressing than stopping Maximus right now? Samantha’s trial wasn’t getting any further away and Mizuki--Mizuki had already been killed in the crossfire. Theodore absently opened one of the boxes Francis had set out onto the table for him, eyeing the smooth amulet with interest. His finger ghosted over the surface of the gem. It was cold under his touch. But it was what Francis said next that made Theodore’s limbs, still outstretched towards the box, to feel as though they were injected with iron.

It felt like someone had suddenly stuffed his ears with cotton. Mizuki was--alive? Theodore’s body sunk back further into his seat, limbs slipping from the box and dropping sloppily back to his sides. He tried to listen to Francis’ explanation, but the words sounded distorted. He was years away, and the sounds took twice as long to rebound to him. When they did--he didn't care to listen. Theodore jolted back to attention upon feeling the vampire’s hand settling on to his own. Feral? He didn’t know what that meant, Samantha had never spoken of the subject.

“I don’t know what that means,” Theodore said weakly. Then, after a beat he clarified, “Feral. I don’t know what that means.”

He shook his head at Francis' request, standing up suddenly. The action knocked the chair back, wooden legs clattering on the tile of Terra’s floor loud and jarring. No--he couldn’t confront Mizuki again. The hate in her eyes, the hate in her voice the last time he had seen her. He couldn’t see that again. She despised him. Moreso than anyone else in his life. The look in her eyes when she had thrown him out--they were so lifeless and uncaring. The last time someone had looked at him like that was Celeste.

Theodore only had one clear memory from the night she had turned him. He had been choking on his own blood, the crimson liquid pooling out and sinking deep into soft cream fabric beneath him. Celeste had merely gazed down at him in disinterest, having already drank her fill. Spots of inky black had overtaken the outline of her body in his vision. She was nothing but an enigma at that point, a shadow of someone he used to know. Nausea ripped through him from the thought, which in turn triggered a cold sweat to prick at the edges of his temple. He couldn’t see Mizuki look at him like that again. “I--I don’t know,” Theodore’s voice was strained. Scared. He pulled at his hair lightly, panic beginning to set into his body.

“Why do you think she would even listen to me? She hates me, she despises me. If she didn’t listen to you then I don’t stand a chance. She’ll slit my throat the second her eyes land on me,” Theodore was borderline whining at this point, the panic closing in around his throat. He slunk back to the couch, sloughing his body down with a heavy sigh, the action bearing an uncanny resemblance to the dramatic fainting act of a heroine in distress. He laid an arm over his eyes, head tilted back towards the ceiling. Theodore’s adam’s apple bobbed with a heavy swallow. “Alright,” He said after a beat. “If it means we can put an end to all this madness. Alright, I’ll go.”

The spark that had flared up within him and been snuffed out with Francis’ arrival, leaving Theodore coughing and sputtering in a torrent of suffocating smoke. Only one truth remained clear. Nothing would change for him if he continued to rely on others to save him. Giving in to self pity now, what would it really do for him? Nothing had changed since Samantha had been arrested--hell, nothing had changed since Celeste had turned him. It was time he made the change himself. “Give me the amulet,” Theodore said. He outstretched an arm in a languid, albeit dramatic, gesture towards Francis, unbothered to check the man’s expression in response.

1661972329969.png
1661972379095.png
1634870353550.png

Mizuki...Mizuki is alive. There was no other way to go about it. The longer he delayed the inevitable, the more uncomfortable and painful the news was going to be for Theodore. Francis braced himself for the vampire's reaction. At first, Theodore deflated into his seat, allowing the sudden news to sink in. Francis continued once the silence settled between them, explaining that Mizuki was growing...feral, and that she needed their help. She wasn't listening to any of them. She seemed the most receptive toward Terra and Antonio, but she kept insisting that she was done with the group and would leave the following morning.

Francis rested a hand over Theodore's, frowning when he noticed the vampire flinch, but continued by insisting they needed his help specifically. That he sincerely believed he if anyone could get through to her, it'd be Theodore.

Francis squeezed the vampire's hand as if to call for his attention as the silence had weighed for a second too long and he needed to know what he was thinking exactly. The first words that tumbled out of his lips was the fact that...he didn't know what the word "feral" meant and what that could entail for a vampire. Right. The Council did everything they could to hide the ugly in their little community. Francis took a deep breath, "...I don't even know where to begin...Basically, a feral vampire is a vampire who loses control of their humanity. Most newborns are considered feral, as they often go through large killing sprees to saciate their thirst. However, any vampire is capable of becoming feral if they have access to human blood, even if that includes their own. Lengthy periods of aggretion could lead to irritation and violent urges...and a tale-tell sign will always be a red, irritation around the eyes".

"So, I fear...that if Mizuki is allowed to leave the Market, she will hunt humans, she will inflict whatever pain she feels, and the Council will hunt her down and bring an end to everything", Francis insisted, "This is why I need you to help us get through to her...because if we don't stop her from leaving, then that would be the same as killing her".

Initially, Theodore shook his head. He stood abruptly, a loud clattering following as the chair was knocked back with the harsh action. This startled Francis, not having expected the vampire to react so violently against the idea of going to confront Mizuki. Again, the question that kept plaguing his mind since last night was...what the hell happened between the two of them? Because, Theodore looked genuinely afraid, he looked genuinely ill at the mere thought. He look as if he was reliving whatever transpired between the two of them. Francis stood up sharply, approaching the vampire and resting his hands over the man's shoulder in an act to assure him that he was right there...That whatever was ailing him, whatever intrusive thoughts he had storming his mind, were not real. They had to focus on the issue at hand!

Francis the cold sweat that broke over his forehead and upper lip, the queazy look that paled his features in a sickly manner. He frowned, squeezing the man's shoulders untilhe finally got a response. A hesitant one, strained, and full of panic...but a response nonetheless.

"Theodore, I don't know what happened between the two of you, but I have been watching over the two of you in the last few weeks...The two of you are inseparable, intellectual kin. She might be angry with you, but if the two of you have a moment to properly communicate whatever it is that happened...I'm sure you will be able to gain some clarity on the situation. I think she's too soft on you to actively want to harm you...The worst that can happen is that she rejects you a second time. And, if that happens...we'll let her be", Francis insisted, "But, we have to try and you are our only hope", he pressed, peering into his friend's eyes with an acute desperation, while he saw the panic that lay in Theodore's.

They remained in silence for a few more beats while Theodore pondered over his words, only for him to...thankfully...give in. Alright, I'll go. Francis let out a small breath, nodding, "I'm sorry to suddenly spring this up on you, especially when it seemed like you had reached a certain euphoria and acceptance over the situation...but time is not our friend, right now", he stated. He pulled away, offering the vampire his space until it seemed like Theodore's resolve had hardened into him asking for the vampire for the amulete.

Francis pulled out the ruby amulete from the box, resting it carefully over the vampire's palm, "...perfect, let's go".

~

With the second paper box tucked into his coat to offer Mizuki an amulete, the four individuals were soon on their way toward Antonio's complex. After stepping out of Terra's apartment, Francis briefly explained that Theodore understood and was on board with the situation. That once they did arrive to Antonio's, they had to give Mizuki and Theodore the space to talk it out. That meant they needed Antonio out of the apartment when they arrived.

Francis texted the Necromancer and explained to him that they were on the way with Theodore, to talk to Mizuki, and initially...Antonio actually protested. Insisting that Mizuki was in a delicate mental state, at the moment, and that they shouldn't force her to talk to Theodore if she didn't want to! After much back and forth, though, Francis managed to convince Antonio that this was their only chance into talking her out of leaving the Market. Antonio had reminded him about Mizuki's threat to kill him, but Francis ignored the message and simply asked what she was doing now.

As per Antonio, they had just shared a cup of tea and she had stepped out of the shower recently. Freshly bandaged. She was now laying on the couch, staring aimlessly at whatever was in front of her and hasn't really moved an inch since. Seeing that they were just outside the building, Francis asked Antonio to make up an excuse to step out, while leaving the door unlocked so that Theodore could step in.

After five minutes, Antonio held a frown as he was walking out of the complex, making sure his disapproval was known. Francis decided to ignore it, for the time being, and turned to Theodore and told him to walk in cautiously...and to make sure his hands were held up in a way that seemed nonthreatening. Everything else...was up to him.

~

Antonio had told her that he had to go out for some ingredients for tonight's dinner, and that he would be right back. Mizuki barely acknowledged his announcement, simply allowing a soft grunt to escape her before she returned her attention to the wall before her. Laying on her side with a knitted blanket Antonio had draped over her person. She was wearing his t-shirt and his boxer shorts as pijamas, her hair still wet from the shower.

Her arms and hands were fully bandaged, yet there were still raw scars around her lips and eyes from chewing or scratching. A sniffle would occasionally escape the smaller woman, an ache that persisted clutched at her heart. Tomorrow she would leave and start anew. She'd run to some unknown small town and live her quiet days there until this world imploded or until she died. Whatever came first...

28c55db477e035a06ad236b7bce3f52b.jpg

Theodore

Theodore had remained quiet in the time it took for the group to make the trek back to Antonio’s apartment. The amulet gifted from Francis hung around his neck, the smooth gem nestled in the folds of his clothing. Theodore wasn’t sure what it was or what it did, but he wore it nonetheless. He’d rather not hear any further explanations for the time being. He still struggled to process the most recent information Francis had so graciously enlightened him with. Feral. How the hell had he never heard of that before? Samantha had kept him very closely nestled to her, shielding him from all the monstrosities and injustices of their world. What else had she not told him? What else did he not know? Her intentions had been rooted in love but--without the people he’s relied on so far, Theodore would have drowned without her. He needed to seek out answers for himself, prove he was strong enough to face the reality of their world.

They reached the familiar, looming building far too soon for Theodore’s liking. He clasped his hands together, thumb digging at the skin of his hand with an absent mind while he eyed the dark windows lurking above. Mizuki was in there. Could she feel him already? Smell his familiar scent? He moved in after Anotonio’s begrudging form vacated the building. The frown on his face was heavy, burdened with far too many problems that were not his to carry. Theodore would have to apologize to him later. He placed his palm flatly on the wooden door to the building. The uneven, chipping paint ate into his soft flesh. If Mizuki could smell him, what would be her initial response? Was it disgust?

The vampire paused in the doorway of the apartment building, looking back one last time towards Franics. Hesitation wrapped itself around his resolve like suffocating tendrils. All that greeted him in the interior of the hallway was a heavy silence. One that burdened itself on you, one that would make you go mad having to welcome it for too long. He gave a short nod in the vampire’s direction before turning forward, his form soon disappearing at the close of the door.

Theodore made his way up the short flights of stairs to the door he remembered was Antonio’s. It wasn’t necessarily the hardest thing to find, given the heavy scent of Mizuki’s blood pouring from the entrance. It didn’t matter how much she had shed. It could have been gallons, it could have been the smallest paper cut--Theodore was convinced he’d be able to smell her blood from miles, lost in a field or drowned in the ocean. The taste of it--it haunted him.

“Mizuki?” Theodore asked as he pushed open the door. He spotted her further in the apartment, curled up into the couch. Her dark hair, made even darker from its dampness, pooled against the surface of the couch and around her pale cheek. He froze in the doorway, the tendrils of hesitation resurfacing to bind his lungs into a deathly grip. She looked so--vulnerable. So broken. Was this my fault? Did I do this to her?

He shook the guilt ridden thoughts from his mind and stepped further into the warm embrace of Antonio’s apartment. He really had made the small space so comforting and safe--it was a shame that he couldn’t appreciate the necromancer’s efforts in different circumstances.

Theodore’s hands were held up defensively as he made his way inside, feet treading with a feather light touch over the old wooden floors. “Please--I just want to talk. Francis told me what happened. That you’re going--” He swallowed hard. “That you’ve been struggling. I--I just want to make things clear, I want to explain myself,” His voice caught, and he swallowed down the rising lump in his throat that constricted his breaths. “I--I just. I thought you were dead, Mizuki.”

1661972329969.png

Mizuki

Mizuki stared aimlessly at a loose string that poked out of the couch's stitching. A strange sort of emptiness had settled over her as she reached forward with one of her claws to scratch at the loose fabric mindlessly. Her gaze was lidded and bored while she disasociated into her mind. Inititally, she felt guilty for everything she was putting Antonio through. He was being so patiently kind, and that was something she would always appreciate...Her mind then wandered over to the others, further guilt washing over her features as she unknowingly began to knaw on her lip. How she yelled at her friends, threatened them...She curled in further into herself, a soft choke escaping her as she rose her bandaged hands against her eyes and pressed her palms in. Her lips curled into a wobbly, wet frown...a ball knotting at her throat as she did everything she could to keep herself from sobbing. Everything had gone to shit...She had burned every bridge possible in the hopes they would simply let her go peacefully, despite how it pained her to see they twisted expressions of hurt and concern...especially Terra's.

Mizuki laid in a fetal position under the many blankets Antonio had drapped over her, having managed to swallow back her sorrow and using her sleeve to wipe away the excess blood and tears. She propped herself up into an upright position, looking around the vacant apartment quietly. She wondered how long Antonio was going to be out for...she was somewhat thirsty. Her throat ached from all the yelling she had done, and had hoped for a cup of tea. Maybe she could rummage through his cabinets and have tea ready for the both of them when he got back.

Mizuki was just forcing herself up to her feet, when she found herself stopping...and growing rigidly tense as a familiar scent began to slither from underneath the door. A scent she could recognize always, a scent that used to excite her because it meant its master wasn't too far away...A scent that now brought chills down her spine. N-No...it couldn't be...could it?

The smell of old library books and the lingering scent of his cologne began to haunt her, and for a moment...Mizuki briefly considered hurling herself out the window. Starting her journey early. But, she hesitated for a second too late, because before she knew it...the door to Antonio's apartment swung open and...Theodore stepped through with great determination, calling her name. How sweet her name sounded caressing his lips—! No!

Mizuki fell back into a sitting position on the couch, stunned where she sat. Her hair was tangled and damp, her lips poked with the tell-tale sign of her fangs. A bit of dried blood stained around her mouth. Her arms and handled were heavily covered in bandages, and she was wearing Antonio's clothes with a blanket drapped around her shoulders like some sickly elder. The expression she held was a mixture of confusion and outrage, her pupils in immediate slits as she stared down at the man who was invading her space. The very man who...

Mizuki pursed her lips together, finally having the strength to look away while her eyes burned with tears. Her hands began to shake, a ball of frustruation and sorrow choking her to the point that she could hardly suck in a breath of air, let alone speak a single word. This gave Theodore the space to speak up as he stepped further into the apartment and toward her. Any step forward caused her to flinch, though, no matter how soft his step was. From her peripheral, she saw how his hands rose defesively while he insisted he merely wanted to talk. Francis told me what happened. The fucking snake. She began to gnaw her lower lip between two fangs.

Theodore insisted that he heard she was struggling and that he...wanted to explain himself. I thought you were dead, Mizuki—"And, that's how it should have stayed!", Mizuki roared, whipping her attention back toward Theodore with a heated stare, "You don't deserve to know that I am still capable of breathing. You don't deserve anything!", she growled, pointing an accusatory finger his way.

"What is there to explain, you hypocrite? You betrayed my trust, you...y-you strung me along for weeks and you played with my feelings. You made me look like a fool! You only feel bad because you were caught, you actually don't feel apologetic and I don't want some half-hearted excuse. I don't want to talk to you, I don't want to look at you!", Mizuki choked, quickly wiping away a stray tear before she wrapped her arms around herself.

"...but don't worry, you don't have to force yourself anymore. I'm not planning on sticking around, I'm sure Francis told you I'm leaving. So, just...turn around and go back where you came from...your wasting your breath, I could never believe a single word that comes out of your venemous mouth...", Mizuki sniffled.

c85ba80e8e665ef3bd2c28fb8b4b0d51.jpg

Theodore

Theodore visibly flinched at the bite of Mizuki’s words, the tone of her voice just narrowly slipping past the piercing edge of her bared fangs. He let out a sigh, chest deflating at the insults hurled his way. He had to admit, thinking she would simply--be over the hurt of what she viewed to be his betrayal was a naïve mindset. She had faked her own death just to escape him. To escape everything, really. How could he have expected she would be happy to see him, even if it was a flash of weak light in the swirling depths of his suffering?

His gaze softened at the gentle sobs that would occasionally tear through Mizuki’s body. Tears wet her cheeks, falling unwillingly. Theodore remembered how she had looked that day in the café, not even a month ago. Blissfully unaware, her bright aura dampened just a shade by her concern for Samantha, but it was nothing compared to this. Never this dark.

A sigh slipped from his chest, thin and lacking in effort. “Mizuki--there is no running from this. We have to talk this through, you need to listen to me, just this once. Even if you don’t believe a single thing I say, even if you still go through with your plans, you need to hear me out.”

He maneuvered to one of the arm chairs Antonio had situated around his living room, feet treading softly on the wooden floor. The boards creaked under his weight. “Kat tricked you, hell she even tricked me. I was naïve for allowing her into your apartment without asking but--but she was hurt and--” Theodore paused, chewing on his lip absently. His expression was twisted into a painful look of distress. He hadn’t been this vulnerable since--well, since Samantha had found him as a newborn. Humbling himself to this extent, it was never easy. “I just wanted to be the hero for once. I was so distraught that I hadn't been able to save Samantha, that I wasn’t able to protect you, that I just wanted to be useful. I wanted someone to need me.”

Theodore sat forward, resting his hands on the bend of his knees. He ran his hands through his mess of brown waves, gripping tightly for a moment before he rightened himself. “Listen--I’m at fault for that. You can blame me for eternity for that mistake--I’ll, I’ll bear that. It’s my sin to carry.” His clouded gaze was heavy as it bore down on Mizuki, unwavering and unbreaking. He drank in every small twitch of her expression, every flash of anger and every tear that shed down her cheeks. “But I would never work with Maximus. I would never betray Samantha like that. How could I?” He barked out a laugh, “I’m too weak to live without her, haven’t you seen that? These past weeks I’ve just been groping around in the dark, trying to figure out who I am. What I want,” He leaned forward again, the timbre of his voice suddenly softening as he said, “Who I want.”

A deep sigh shed from his body, deflating the tension he had stored up. Only one truth remained, and it slipped from his mouth before he could even register that it was, in fact, his own voice that uttered the next words. "I'm in love with you, Mizuki."

1661972329969.png

Mizuki

"You're only forcing this conversation in the hopes that it'd make you feel better about your guilt", Mizuki choked back as Theodore pleaded with her and insisted that they had to talk this through. Even if she still left, she had to hear what he had to say. She didn't have to do shit! But, years of fawning over this man hadn't disappeared overnight. She hated that she was still weak to him...So, she remained seated, growing rigid as he approached and took a seat on one of the armchairs across from her. She begrudgingly kept silent, as he maneuvered his way through Antonio's apartment.

Mizuki refused to look at him, at first. Her hands were neatly folded over her lap, her gaze to the side, counting how many threads were woven into the carpet that cushioned their step. Theodore went straight to the point. Kat tricked you. And, insisted that she even tricked him. She scoffed at this, especially as the vampire continued to insist that he was aware that he was foolish to allow Katarina up into her apartment, but she was hurt—Theodore paused, and Mizuki flicked her attention back up at him, wondering why he stopped. She softened, he looked distressed. Her eyes grew wide as she drank in the flurry of emotions that danced across his face. A look of vulnerability, a pained look of remorse.

Theodore finally spoke up. I just wanted to be the hero for once. Mizuki sympathized, she hated that she sympathized. But, again, she kept quiet, as he explained that he had felt incredibly troubled by Samantha's imprisonment, feeling almost responsible that he couldn't save Samantha. And, then he flipped it...saying that he couldn't...protect her. Mizuki swallowed thickly at this, forcing her resolved to not crumble. But, how could it not waver when Theodore was pouring his heart out for her and insisted that all he wanted to be was useful and needed. Mizuki could understand that. It was woven into their basic human genome. To be wanted, loved...needed.

Theodore continued. When Theodore looked up, Mizuki tore her gaze away a second time, refusing to meet his eyes as he then went on to take responsibility for what happened. Called it his "sin to carry". She rolled her eyes, forcing a few trickles of tears to break and roll down her cheeks. She sniffled, pursing her lips while he insisted that despite everything...he would never work for Maximus. He would never betray Samantha, and that lined up, especially considering that Theodore was admitting that he was like an infant without his mother. Crawling around an unknown space, flailing his little limbs pathetically, and crying out for his caretaker. All the while he tried to figure himself out without her, an identity without Samantha. He was always known as Samantha's lap dog. Now, who was he...what did he want, who...who?

Mizuki looked up with puckered brows, confused by this statement. He sighed as if he had given up on rationality a long time ago, and what he said next was—I'm in love with you, Mizuki—!

"No, you're not", Mizuki bit out at him roughly, "Don't...don't say that, don't throw that around carelessly", she hissed, pointing at him while her expression twisted with rage, "You don't know me, you...you love the idea of me. You love the idea of love, Theodore. And, maybe...m-maybe a few days ago this would have meant a lot more to me because I had been in love with you for years. Decades. Literally. I watched you from afar and longed to be the one you yearned for, you chased after with your flutes of champagne and pretty words. I've picked apart our conversations throughout these years and gathered so much information from you. I know your favorite genre, your favorite poem, your favorite author. Hell, even the way you like your coffee. I saw the vacancy in your eyes the moment someone walked away, and that you still felt alone in a room full of people. I saw the cracks behind your mask, and the deep insecurities you have buried deep in your gut".

"But, I know that you barely know one thing about me, and that you barely paid attention to me in the last two, three decades of knowing one another. I was no one to you, ignored by you like the rest of our clan members. I was just someone you shared pleasantries with until the next best thing came around, like Katarina, like Luna, like Gabriella, like literally anyone else but me. And, now, I'm suddenly someone, because you feel pity for me. Because, you feel guilt for what happened".

"This is a terrible way to apologize, Theodore. You brought someone, some stranger into my apartment. That apartment is sacred to me, as I bought it with my own money as a sanctuary away from the Hell I was forced into. A space no other vampire knew of, even Maximus barely knew the location of it. And, you brought...you...", Mizuki sighed, deflating. This was stupid.

"I don't know how I can trust you again, but...I do trust that you're not working with Maximus. I was just angry at the time...I know you mean well, Theodore...As I said, I've watched you and admired you and...and loved you for years. I know you don't have a malicious bone in your body. I've had a lot of rage stored in my heart for a long time and I just needed a reason to break. I've broken, and now I'm done...I don't love you, anymore, and I don't think you love me. So, let's just move on. Clean slate...Samantha doesn't deserve to rot in jail and I'm done with my tantrum...But, once this is all over...we'll go our separate ways...Deal?", Mizuki asked softly, her glassy eyes finally shifting up to look at Theodore.

28c55db477e035a06ad236b7bce3f52b.jpg
8b0697933eccc11822fa389b04bb45de.jpg

Theodore | Caelum

Theodore sat back against the cushions of the worn leather armchair he was seated in, the only word palpable enough for his mind to grab hold of in the moment a meek “oh,” in response to Mizuki’s confession. She had loved him? For years?

The image of a pompous lap dog carefully enacting Samantha’s orders flashed in his mind, and he winced with a subtle twitch. He couldn’t remember what it was like to live in that mindset anymore. Although it had been a mere several weeks--he felt like he had trekked miles away from who he used to look in the mirror and recognize. Now--when he looked in the mirror, who exactly did he see? Certainly not the man Mizuki claimed to love--used to love.

His eyes drifted from her figure and down to the worn wooden flooring, years of different treads having passed over it time and time again. He was too ashamed to meet her eye now. Because she was right. What had he done to truly understand her? Just as with Samantha, Theodore simply latched on to them like a falling man clinging to a parachute--anything to achieve some sort of stabilizing gravity back in his life. Had he ever asked her about her life before? He had heard tid bits from Francis' life before, things that altered his perception of the vampire once learned. But Mizuki--he had never even properly asked, did he? Sure, he asked about her favorite books, authors, general questions curated to dole out to strangers as a way to feign the illusion of understanding one another. They were the parts Mizuki wanted him to see, the ones she had pruned over for years and was comfortable with others peering into. But what about the parts she hid?

His eyes slipped closed, listening to the soft, ambient sounds that decorated the heavy silence of the apartment. Meanwhile--while he was off pining over someone he thought he saw, Mizuki was seeing him, truly, for who he was, and finding a way to love him despite it. “Clean slate,” he said, swallowing back a tightened feeling in his throat. “Deal.”

------

Caelum let out a long exhale, watching streaks of smoke fan out from his person in a malleable cloud before it dissipated upwards. The bite of winter was stronger these nights, sinking deeply into his flesh with the threat of not letting go. His neck was sore from the past several days of constant research, head bent over a book, tablet or computer nearly twenty four seven. He needed evidence--he needed leads to catch up to the deadline the order had set. Mizuki’s near feral episode had set them back several days of work, but luckily Theodore had managed to talk some kind of reason into her.

He flicked the cigarette from his fingers, eyes fixated on the glowing ember as it burned hot against the cobbled street below. The angel wasn’t sure what exactly Theodore had said to Mizuki, but ever since they had entered the apartment after the two had had their ‘talk’, the dynamic between the two had shifted dramatically. Mizuki consistently found ways to steer clear of Theodore, the distance between them some kind of invisible barrier that the vampire was unable to lessen. Theodore, on the other hand, observed the vampiress like a lost puppy, wistful eyes boring holes into the middle of her rigid back as if wishing it alone could undo whatever had caused the rift that separated them. Caelum stepped on the still burning end of the cigarette, worn rubber sole of his shoe grinding against the rough stone ground.

Dark eyes drifted upwards, locking on the artificial night sky that glimmered with faint stars in the ceiling of the market. He was ready to have the order off his back, that much was sure. The presence of all seeing eyes--something prickling at the hairs of his neck. The feeling made him nauseous. It was like a word about to be spoken, hovering heavy in the air--millions of possibilities shaping it into a cloud of uncertainty, something to be guessed at with hungry impatience. He rubbed at the back of his neck when he entered through the door to Antonio’s apartment, shoulders sloughing off a shiver that threatened to crawl up his spine.

“So then,” He said, maneuvering further into the apartment where the rest of the group sat gathered. Terra was situated near Francis, the two seeming to be engrossed in light conversation while Theodore listened in politely. Mizuki occupied the space in the window where she had been when they first found her after the faking of her death. The image of her bloodied arms and the heavy stench of vampire blood that suffocated his senses floated up in his mind briefly. It seemed the stain of blood was something that clung to him. Inescapable in his memories, no matter how much he tried to wash it clean.

Caelum drifted into the kitchen where Antonio was fretting about, preparing several cups of tea and coffee for the group. He nicked a mug of black coffee from the group of mugs occupying the counter, watching the steam rise off in a steady flow. “I have a plan-” he finally continued, pausing to take a sip of the hot beverage. “-and each of you will have a role to fulfill. Are we all ready?”

Last edited:

Deal. Mizuki had her eyes fixated out the window, perceiving the sudden shift in the atmosphere to be Caelum's sudden appearance. It had been...a challenging week. Thankfully, Antonio—surprisingly—had been an understanding and caring ally. After her conversation with Theodore, she brushed away any stray tears from her cheeks and muttered at him to call for the others. That they were done here and she didn't want to be alone with him any more than what was necessary.

The others finally shuffled awkwardly into the apartment, and Mizuki announced that she was no longer leaving and she would provide the group her assistance. But, once they gave the Order what it was looking for...she would leave for good. Until then, she would cooperate and she...apologized for her behavior over the last handful of hours. Francis was the first to assure her that she didn't have to apologize. Just that...hopefully next time, she could confide in them. Mizuki simply nodded, avoiding eye contact with the rest.

While the rest of the group excused themselves, Antonio turned to Mizuki and told her she was welcome to stay if she could get past the smell of death and formaldehyde. This was his attempt at a joke, and it seemed to work...because the vampiress offered a small smile to Antonio. She soon thanked him, insisting it was no issue. That she's developed some sort of "nose blindness" to the smell. They discussed sleeping arrangements and since then, they have been living pretty harmoniously.

To Antonio's pleasant surprise, Mizuki was a rather peaceful roommate. Throughout the week, he offered to go back to her apartment to gather her things, which she only agreed to if he properly disguised himself and watched his back in case Lasombra was staking out her place. He ensured he'd be careful and asked if he could borrow the ruby necklace Francis had gifted her once they were allowed into the apartment. The next morning, with the pendant around his neck and a hoodie over his head, Antonio stalked the shadowed alleys, skittish because he hadn't been on the surface world in...hell, years. Upon reaching the address she scribbled on a torn piece of paper, he slid up to her apartment to find it absolutely trashed. She had...warned him of such a sight.

Antonio stuffed clothes into a duffle bag, as well as a sketchbook and supplies she had listed out for him. Her camera equipment was already tucked away in her carrier, and some mementos and toiletries. He topped it all off with her stash of rabbit blood in the fridge. He slid the bag over his shoulder, gave the space one last glance before he walked away, and returned to the apartment with...dinner made by her. As a 'thank you'. From there, Mizuki made herself home in his apartment. They turned meals and set aside chores, which Mizuki was happy to comply with. While Antonio worked on his cadavers, Mizuki was by the windowsill reading a book she had plucked off from his piles and piles of books he called a 'library'. She still scratched and tugged at her bandages as a nervous habit, but he didn't mind tending to her. Who knew...a vampiress and a Necromancer made for such a peaceful duo.

Meanwhile, officially, Theodore was staying with Terra for the time being until Francis managed to organize other living arrangements for the young vampire. He still kept the facade that he was living in the penthouse the Council had rented out for him, and to keep up appearances he still had to make an appearance in the temporary headquarters of the Council...report to Andrew...

But, let's not talk about Andrew. Francis certainly did not want to. He would arrive in the Black Market, every day, at seven in the afternoon. Right in time for dinner. He shared dinner with Terra and Theodore before he invited Theodore for a small drink of blood-wine on the roof. Talking...about anything, really. He did take a moment to ask Theodore what exactly had happened with Mizuki, what had he said to convince her to come back...but he didn't push it, either. If Theodore did not want to confide, that was fine.

Every night, Francis would wish his 'goodnight' to Theodore and then one to Terra. Always, she walked him to her door and the two would share a...pause. A lingering gaze, a tentative smile. Every night, it was harder to walk away. Quietly wondering if she liked the hair broach he had bought for her in the witch's stand. Supposedly, it had a calming effect on the wearer. He didn't ask, though, out of shyness.

~​

Here, Francis found himself in Antonio's living room on a weekend. Mizuki sat by the windowsill, Terra sat beside him as she told him about a funny anecdote she had with a customer this week, while Theodore tried and failed to be discrete in his peeks toward the vampiress. Meanwhile, Antonio zipped to and fro across the kitchen. Preparing little cookies and a tray with coffee and tea, depending on your fancy for the moment. He fretted, and Francis could practically smell his nerves where he sat. Poor dear.

Eventually, Caelum arrived, to which they haven't seen much of. He was busy with research, the bags in his eyes told Francis that much. Francis paused in his conversation with Terra as they all regarded Caelum. So then. He motioned toward the kitchen, where he snagged a mug of black coffee and took a much-needed sip before continuing with his enticing little one-liner.

Antonio seemed to pause in the kitchen to regard the angel, his attention lingering a little too long before he scooped up the tray and maneuvered toward Mizuki, first. He leaned the tray down for her to grab a cup of Earl Gray he had made her, winning a small smile from her before he shifted toward the living space where he sat the tray down on the coffee table for all to partake. He grabbed a cup of coffee for himself, eyes wandering occasionally toward the vampiress as he knew she was feeling nervous with everyone gathered today in one space.

Meanwhile, Francis was the one who seemed willing to catch Caelum's bait, "And, what exactly is this plan and these roles you have for us, good sir?", he hummed, amused, grabbing a cup of coffee for himself and asking Terra softly, under his breath, what she would like to drink. Happy to prepare her drink for her...

916ad8c4ef11c8a490db993ef3c22855.jpg
46ffa6d62141ea8e1cbcbfed4791d112.jpg
19c6347590d1c15ea5f038aeeed297a2.jpg

The ceramic barrier between his hand and the warm liquid that was pooled inside radiated a gentle warmth into the flesh of Caelum’s palm. His eyes were absent, drifting slowly after Antonio’s form as the latter rushed to finish up the last of the drinks for their small group. Herbal scents mixed with the sharp bitterness of roasted coffee, carried through the air by wafting steam. His eyes met Antonio’s for a brief second, but there was nothing the angel gave in exchange. The bottomless pools of his apathetic gaze were as stoic as ever, merely reflecting back whatever the Necromancer anticipated to see within them.

His attention was only pulled back to the moment at hand in part to Francis’ prodding, his diplomatic charm rousing them all from their own respective bubbles. Theodore’s eyes roamed to the older vampire curiously, following suit to Francis’ own actions by claiming one of the cups of coffee for himself. Terra nodded sheepishly at Francis’ offer to prepare her drink, her voice low as she recited how she took her tea.

Caelum took his spot on one of the recliners Antonio had situated in the small living room, throwing long limbs into the seat with a not so subtle sigh. Somehow--the coffee remained within the confines of his mug. “My plan--” He recited, eyes drifting up to the ceiling. He took another sip of coffee before setting it down onto the low, wooden table that served as the center to their makeshift circle. Slim fingers reached down into a backpack set off to the side of the recliner, something he had used to claim his seat, emerging from within the worn fabric with a folded piece of paper.

“As you all know, my business is within the black market--” He began, his deft hands laying out a map onto the expanse of the coffee table. Theodore squinted, eyes roaming over what the angel had laid out before them. A map? No it looked more like some kind of floor plan to him, like something used to show fire exits or directions. Thick slashes of red ink filled the page in swathes, circling certain clusters of information. The angels’ messy handwriting filled any blank spaces it could find. Theo’s misty eyes were narrowed, unsure of what Caelum had planned for them.

“Contrary to what you all may believe, I have a firm finger on the pulse of everything that goes on down here. Well--all of New York more likely,” He said, hand shaking out the brown curls obscuring his brow. “Anyways, I pulled some strings and knocked on some doors the past few days, narrowing down the key leads to Maximus’ plan into three solid directions.” The angel held up three fingers, eyes taking a moment to land on each member of the group individually. “And to be quite frank, we’re simply running out of time.”

“So you want us to split up,” Terra jumped in, taking a sip of the tea Francis had given her. She bit back the impressed smile that threatened to break out at its taste. It was nearly identical to how she made it herself, maybe even a touch better--although her pride would never let her admit it.

Caelum let out a sigh, eye roll obscured by his messy hair. “Yeah--exactly, we’re splitting up.”

He leaned backwards into the recliner, another heavy sigh escaping him as he tried to gather his thoughts. “I’ve heard word that Maximus had used a tracking spell to locate Cecil, and most likely, the ideal location to enact their grand plan. The story I’ve heard most consistently, is that he had caught wind of some power hungry Sorcerer with demon’s blood awhile ago, dropping breadcrumbs to bait Cecil and his friend into stealing that forbidden spell that landed me in this whole mess,” Caelum rambled on, his tone turning begrudging at the outcome of Maximus’ meddling.

Terra shifted back, heart rate picking up at Caelum’s words. So Yun-seo hadn’t reached out to Maximus first? When he had recounted his story to her, he had never fully revealed whether or not his own search for power had led him into the predicament he now found himself in. She had simply just assumed it did. It was one thing for his poor decision making to land him in this mess but to think that Maximus--Terra swallowed hard. Panic ate away at the blanket of comfort that had sheltered her the past week after Yun-Seo had visited her in person to restate his well being.

The thought of Maximus watching their small group from the shadows with the hungry eyes of a predator bristled goosebumps across her arms. Every spell she helped Yun-Seo and Cassius with, every night out to some shady bar for a stupid deal on an illegal potion--they were being monitored, Yun-Seo was being evaluated. This whole time, did the sorcerer ever have any free will in this decision? Or was it all just an illusion? The fae set her tea down on the coffee table, withdrawing her hand quickly to hide the tremor that now plagued it. To think that Maximus was pulling her lover along like an omnipresent hand jerking the motions of a marionette--was this fate always waiting for them? Was this fear?

Caelum could sense the electric shift in Terra’s behavior. His gaze softened a fraction. He was unsure of how to properly break the news of Maximus’ premeditated designs on Cecil, but he decided to let the fae come to that conclusion on her own. It was best for her to take ownership of it, to realize it on her own terms. The angel cleared his throat, “the only group capable of creating a tracking spell that effective are the werewolves. I think it’s rather safe to assume Maximus is a man of high standards, he wouldn’t settle--or risk--anything other than the very best. Werewolf tracking potions are DNA based, meaning only the person to activate it can bond with it and know it's in effect. Not even me, not even the Order. Which is why we need to pay them a visit,” He finished, eyes roaming over each member of the group to ensure they were all following along.

He only gave them a moment to digest the information before he was already moving on. “The next group should be no surprise, but we need to pay a visit to the Sorcerers’ Academy. I hit clearance walls when I was looking for more information on the spell Cecil took. Even Angels have their limits when it comes to Supernatural factions, they wouldn’t tell me more unless I went there physically--so I need two of you to go in my place,” He smirked, and after a moment, added “Don’t worry, I’ll give you a permission slip to access their facility.”

Theodore’s head was reeling. What was Maximus’ plan here? What did he--or Samantha--have to do with any of this? The groups that he was pulling in, was the man’s reach truly that powerful? It seemed as though he was able to tug at the myriad of connections available to him like plucking at a harp, playing a deadly tune and forcing them all to dance.

“And last but not least,” Caelum said with a languid flourish of his hand. “We have to pay a visit to the ever so lovely mayor of the black market, Merim Frederik. We don’t necessarily have the uh--best history, and he’s been blocking my research to goad me into paying my respects,” the angel grumbled. “This is a more diplomatic visit than anything so--Francis I’m requesting that you join me. A representative from the council is most likely to stroke his ego in just the right way to get him to push his pettiness aside and help us with the proper documents I’ve been trying to access. All the other groups are up to you all,” He sighed, picking up his coffee once more.

1661972329969.png
1661972379095.png
1634870353550.png

Caelum had a plan. With the anticipation building up inside him, Francis hummed a tune to himself as he carefully poured Terra's tea. He added the perfect amount of honey and a dash of milk to the Earl Grey, knowing that the fae had a penchant for all things sweet. Handing the glass mug to Terra, Francis shifted his attention back to Caelum, who was rummaging through his backpack. The meticulous planning of the angel always left Francis feeling excited yet uneasy, like he was about to embark on a grand adventure without fully understanding the risks involved.

Terra sat patiently, her delicate fingers wrapped around the warm glass mug while the steam from the tea wafted gently toward her face. Francis couldn't help but admire her grace and determination, even in the face of the most challenging obstacles. He couldn't resist admiring her delicate features...her long lashes...

Finally, Caelum pulled out a tattered old map from his backpack. Francis felt his excitement grow as the angel carefully unfurled the ancient map, its frayed edges, and worn surface hinting at a long and storied history. With mounting anticipation, Francis leaned in closer, his eyes eagerly scanning the intricate details etched into the paper. As he took in the details on the map, Francis felt his mind swirl with thoughts of adventure and excitement, feeling oddly optimistic.

With his characteristic wit and humor, Francis couldn't resist the lure of the unknown. He asked Caelum what exactly he had planned for them. As the conversation began and the promise of adventure hung thick in the air, their friends emerged from the shadows of their own thoughts and cast their gaze upon the map before them. With a look of keen interest and growing excitement, they leaned in closer, turning their attention toward the map Caelum had laid out before them on Antonio's worn-down coffee table.

Caelum began to explain the details of their mission in a low and melodious voice, like the gentle hum of a distant waterfall. They each took a sip of their drinks while Caelum spoke, finally continuing with his explanation. His hands moved with a practiced ease, laying out a map that seemed to be well-worn from frequent use. As Theodore leaned forward, squinting to get a better look, Francis leaned back to ensure his friend could peer at the floor plan before them while ensuring he had a chance to do so himself. He analyzed the piece, the red slashes of ink seemed to indicate areas of importance, while the angel's messy handwriting filled any available white space with cryptic notes and symbols. Francis' eyes scanned the map with a mixture of fascination and apprehension.

Caelum's words hung in the air, heavy with the weight of his business dealings. Francis couldn't help but wonder what Caelum's involvement in such a world could mean for their group. He took a deep breath, feeling the weight of the moment settle over him. He knew that whatever they were about to do, it was going to be dangerous. There was a moment where Francis felt sympathetic towards the angel as he expressed how hard he had been working these last few days. Francis and Antonio shared a small glance of mild concern as Caelum revealed that he found three key leads to Maximus' plan. He ended his explanation with a worrisome statement, insisting that they were running out of time. Francis swallowed nervously at this.

Terra deciphered that Caelum was asking them to split into three groups, to which he sighed against and confirmed her musings. Francis frowned, shifting his glance between each individual in the room to garner their reactions. Mizuki was intent on keeping her attention out the window, while Antonio nervously played with the hem on his shirt in the seat beside Caelum.

As Caelum droned on, Francis found himself lost in his own thoughts, his heart sinking deeper into his chest with each passing word. The mere suggestion that Maximus had used a tracking spell to locate Cecil, coupled with the likelihood that he had already found the ideal location to execute his grand plan, made Francis feel queasy. He couldn't quite put his finger on why the thought of the Sorcerer's capture and possible demise left him feeling so unsettled. Was it the possibility of losing a potential ally? Or was it something deeper, something that Francis couldn't quite articulate?

As he glanced over at Terra, he saw the way she shifted back, sinking further into the couch with a warm glass clasped tightly between her hands. Her fingers shook slightly, betraying her discomfort. Francis felt a sudden urge to reach out to her, to take her hand and reassure her that they would figure something out. But he hesitated, not wanting to draw attention to her unease. Instead, he turned back to Caelum, hoping for more information. He listened intently as Caelum recounted the story he had heard, his voice betraying a hint of bitterness at the outcome of Maximus' meddling.

"The story you've heard...it sounds like Maximus has been planning this for a long time...either under the Council's nose or with the Council...", Francis said, his voice barely above a whisper. He shook his head, his mind whirling with the implications of what Caelum had just revealed. And, if the Council was involved in some way...He sighed.

As the angel continued, Francis felt himself grow tense at the mention of werewolves. The thought of Maximus using a werewolf tracking spell to locate Cecil sent shivers down his spine. It was no secret a werewolf's senses and abilities were among the most powerful and coveted in the supernatural world, and it was not easily accessible to outsiders. Francis knew all too well the lengths that some would go to obtain such power, and how aggressive and standoffish these creatures were towards others that were from their same species, let alone pact. As the angel spoke of their need to pay a visit to the werewolves, Francis couldn't help but feel a twinge of apprehension. Werewolves were notoriously territorial and unpredictable. Especially toward a vampire such as himself. He watched as the angel's eyes roamed over each member of the group, taking note of their reactions. Francis could sense the fear and uncertainty emanating from Terra, the anxiety within Antonio, the anger and frustration simmering within Caelum, and the determination burning within himself.

Francis looked around at his companions, his gaze lingering on Terra for a moment longer than necessary. He could see the hesitation in her eyes, and he wished more than anything that he could offer her some kind of comfort. But he knew that their situation was too dire for such luxuries.

That was one lead. The second lead was to the Sorcerers' Academy and Antonio visibly grimaced at this. It was safe to assume that as a witch, as a Necromancer, he had to especially stay away from Sorcerers' who were their direct rivals. He shifted in his seat, feeling the weight of the decision that lay before them. He knew that they needed to gather more information about the tracking spell and the plans of Maximus and Cecil, but the idea of infiltrating the Sorcerers' Academy made him uneasy. He couldn't shake the feeling that they were playing with fire. As Caelum finished speaking, Antonio took a deep breath and spoke up. "I will state my refusal to go, right now. I cannot risk presenting myself before a bunch of Sorcerers. They might report him to the Coven", he said, his voice steady despite the nervous flutter in his chest.

Francis nodded, "It's fine, we'll figure something else out", he assured. So, Caelum couldn't go, nor could Antonio. Noted.

The third and final lead. Merim Frederik. Francis' gaze a lit with a knowing glance. Whoever hadn't heard of Merim was a fool. Francis felt a sense of unease wash over him at the mention of Merim Frederik's name, nonetheless. The Black Market was a place where he had spent plenty of time in his long life, trading in goods and services that were not always above board in the name of Council. It was also a place where demons often roamed, and Francis knew that Merim had a particular demon at his beck and call—Amon, the leader of the demon factions in the Black Market.

The thought of dealing with Merim and Amon again made Francis's fangs ache with a kind of hunger he had not felt in a long time. But he knew that he could not let his emotions get the better of him. Caelum had requested his presence on this diplomatic visit, and he had a duty to represent them to the best of his abilities. Francis listened carefully as Caelum explained the purpose of their visit. It seemed that Merim had been blocking Caelum's research, and the angel hoped that Francis's presence would help stroke Merim's ego enough to get him to cooperate. It was a delicate situation, but Francis knew he had the skills to navigate it.

"Of course, Caelum," Francis said, his voice low and smooth. "I am honored that you take note of my diplomatic skills, and I will do my best to ensure that Merim is cooperative". as he spoke, Francis could feel his senses sharpening and pupils growing into slits, his body growing in anticipation. He knew that dealing with Merim, and possibly Amon, was always risky, but he also knew that he was up to the challenge. Plus, the presence of an angel might keep the demon at bay.

As for the other groups..."Considering that Antonio cannot go to the Sorcerer's Academy, that would leave Mizuki, Terra, and Theodore in possibly going".

"I can go", Mizuki finally spoke up, looking over her shoulder and toward the rest of the group, "I've had runnings with Sorcerers in the past and I know how to speak their lingo. And, since Terra also has experience with them, I think it's only reasonable that I accompany her", she stated, ensuring she wouldn't be stuck going with Theodore.

Francis let out a slow nod, "That leaves Antonio and Theodore in visiting the werewolves. But, I don't know how comfortable Theodore might be with that idea considering their stench and...general existence", he muttered in mild annoyance.

1b6bd4582025192b15311652178328db.jpg
9e9d666e1e7de6bd3190c5edbb7b7fc4.jpg

The mention of groups had Theodore on pins and needles. He and Mizuki were a great team, hell the reason all of them were seated in this living room was largely a result of the fruits of their teamwork. But Kat’s poisonous betrayal still ran thickly in his veins. Mizuki wouldn’t look at him, meet his eye, let alone work with him. The small flame of hope that he had been nurturing the longer Caelum worked through their plan was snuffed out the moment Mizuki spoke up from her spot along the windowsill, limbs languid and smooth in her movements.

“I've had runnings with Sorcerers in the past and I know how to speak their lingo. And, since Terra also has experience with them, I think it's only reasonable that I accompany her"

Theodore averted his eyes from Mizuki, annoyance lodging itself within his chest. Of course her excuse would have a tinge of logic, if only to make it one thing--unarguable. He smiled lightly towards Antonio when it became known that they were the only two left for the task of visiting the werewolves. “I’m open to it,” Theodore said. “I’ve never met werewolves before, let alone knew they existed until just recently. It’ll be a learning experience.” His voice was welcoming, but his gaze was guarded when he roamed over Antonio’s expression. The necromancer had grown close with Mizuki in the days following the falling out between them. Theodore could only guess blindly at what the vampiress had told Antonio regarding the situation and regarding his own self.

He had since lost the ever present grooming such a prideful ego had demanded after Samantha’s arrest. Her hard work the main contributor to the creation of such an image anyways. In her absence, it was no surprise that Theodore’s facade crumbled away, leaving behind the rotten core he had so long neglected. Regardless--knowing that someone’s mind may have been filled with negative information about him stung whatever of his pride was left, and he shifted uncomfortably on the couch beside Terra. A sip of coffee had his nose wrinkled slightly. Too bitter--needed more sugar.

---------------
2dc5d7a20581aa707788a75af4e41c95.jpg
b9c9ddaf24343478b9c08f2ec1d34975.jpg

A Diplomatic Affair
Caelum & Francis
“You sure you’re alright with this?” Caelum noted absently, eyes sliding to the side to the vampire beside him. He had noticed a sharp static spike in Francis’ body language at the mention of the notable black market mayor. Did they have history, then? All the better. Anything to distract Merim from the petty feud he’d continuously tried to pick with Caelum over the decades.

07abdde1be892f7cf96851eec416b07f.jpg
39ca9b57a78a301a3bdbbfcd6d3eabaa.jpg

The Werewolves' Nest
Theodore & Antonio​

Theodore squinted, holding up a wrinkled and unevenly torn slip of paper Caelum had shoved his way before the Angel vacated Antonio’s apartment, Francis in tow. “Can you read what this jumbled word is?” He asked the Necromancer walking silently beside him. “It looks like Caelum has listed out some things we need to pick up first before meeting the werewolves. I suppose as some kind of olive branch to show we’re not trying to pick a fight or something.”

He shrugged, offering the paper towards Antonio. The thin surface hung limply in the dead air of the alley. “It’s a good thing we’re headed towards the commerce section anyways. Maybe someone there will know what this chicken scratch is supposed to say.”

Misty eyes analyzed Antonio’s body language from their peripheral vision. The heavy, unaddressed topic hung upon Theodore’s neck with an inescapable pressure. His tongue darted out to wet his lips, ready to confess all to the Necromancer beside him and clear any miscommunication he may have towards the situation--but the words died in his throat. Instead, he simply shoved his hands in his pockets after Antonio had taken the paper from his languid grasp, eyes downturned in awkward shame.

14cfb8f65f34d4c0646babb559d891a3.jpg
caabf8936f84e4d895fac3c5cd336e1e.jpg

The Academy
Terra & Mizuki
“You never told me you had a history with sorcerers,” Terra questioned, a firm eyebrow raised in Mizuki’s direction. She shivered against the cool air of the market. It would be good to get out and feel the fresh air of the countryside. She couldn’t remember the last time she had made it out of the city for a day trip. “Was it--amiable? I know how they can be usually--stuck up, judgmental, presumptuous. Guess I got kinda lucky with Yun-Seo and Cassius.”

She held the door open to the long stairway that led out of the market, eyes soft as she took in the vampiress behind her. Mizuki had been through a lot.Terra could see it in the dullness of her eyes, faded from their previous kind glimmer. Her tongue was laden with the question of what happened between Mizuki and Theodore, but she refrained from pushing her group mate too far. They had a long day ahead of them, there would be plenty of time for potential heart to hearts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back