• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Vampire: The Masquerade [Falling Leaves] OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Oh! Does that mean we can't have firearms without a merit? I was assuming my job came with the tools to do it, like an assault rifle, submachine gun, combat knife, and a pistol or two. I didn't see anything in the book about how to actually go about having weapons, it just seemed assumed that you had any appropriate to your history.

Hmmm, only one retainer is tricky. Now that I think about it, I need to take security seriously being asleep 2/3rds of every day, and having werewolves angry with me. There isn't much that can stop them if they figure out where Jack is sleeping. Even two ghouls will barely slow them down. Well, my character isn't insane, and knows a thing or two about fighting werewolves, clearly, so D. Rex D. Rex what does my character believe he needs to safely stay in the city? A pack of Black Spiral Dancers can basically cut through anything, and they don't care about repercussions for doing it. Do vampires generally avoid being murdered by BSD's by security through obscurity (i.e. don't let them figure out where you sleep)? Do I need to hire a private security company? Have a dozen well armed ghouls watching over me while I sleep? Can't exactly hire an actual werewolf for personal security.

Tricky! Werewolves generally only lose to vampires because vampires have numbers, control mortal society, and can make serious problems for them through proxies. BSDs give zero fucks about mortal law enforcement, can crush a vampire during the day, and there won't be a night if you die during the day. The more I think about it, the more I come to think that getting myself marked persona non grata by the local Chantry is a death sentence. They've got a Ward Against Werewolves up. I can't make a strong one yet. They really won't even let me sleep there? I might need to rework things if so, just to avoid dying anticlimactically in the day when some BSD sets off the fire alarm at my hotel.

Oh! Does that mean we can't have firearms without a merit? I was assuming my job came with the tools to do it, like an assault rifle, submachine gun, combat knife, and a pistol or two. I didn't see anything in the book about how to actually go about having weapons, it just seemed assumed that you had any appropriate to your history.

Hmmm, only one retainer is tricky. Now that I think about it, I need to take security seriously being asleep 2/3rds of every day, and having werewolves angry with me. There isn't much that can stop them if they figure out where Jack is sleeping. Even two ghouls will barely slow them down. Well, my character isn't insane, and knows a thing or two about fighting werewolves, clearly, so D. Rex D. Rex what does my character believe he needs to safely stay in the city? A pack of Black Spiral Dancers can basically cut through anything, and they don't care about repercussions for doing it. Do vampires generally avoid being murdered by BSD's by security through obscurity (i.e. don't let them figure out where you sleep)? Do I need to hire a private security company? Have a dozen well armed ghouls watching over me while I sleep? Can't exactly hire an actual werewolf for personal security.

Tricky! Werewolves generally only lose to vampires because vampires have numbers, control mortal society, and can make serious problems for them through proxies. BSDs give zero fucks about mortal law enforcement, can crush a vampire during the day, and there won't be a night if you die during the day. The more I think about it, the more I come to think that getting myself marked persona non grata by the local Chantry is a death sentence. They've got a Ward Against Werewolves up. I can't make a strong one yet. They really won't even let me sleep there? I might need to rework things if so, just to avoid dying anticlimactically in the day when some BSD sets off the fire alarm at my hotel.

Guns: yes, you do get to start with a gun or two, but not an arsenal. And your ammunition and ability to work on them is limited. The Armory perk gives you access to more guns, illegal weaponry, and enough ammo last you a year.

You are in luck that BSD are not omniscient. They don't know where you are, and they would have to make great effort in tracking you down. More likely they would happen upon you somewhere and attack then.

Having a Domain, even a 1 dot. Does give you some security. But you can go turn it up a notch by purchasing "Base of Operations" background in the same book. Where you can buy dots to increase its luxury, size, and security.

If I were you, I'd retire and live the rest of in hiding.

But there is a few things to keep in mind.

1. 1x1 in a fair fight, a werewolf would kick your ass. But! Vampires are not famous for fighting fair. As a kindred, you are sly and cunning. You cheat and use your connections and abilities to win. And, most often, you just run away. Of which you are better at running and hiding than they are.

2. BSD's do not have free reign in this area. The peace between kindred and garou have given the city some degree of stability when it comes to mutual threats like BSDs. While they might not care about mortals, if a BSD went wild, they would quickly find themselves hunted down by local kindred and garou.

3. You aren't alone. The Prince is sending Jack a few vampires to aid him. And that certainly helps to even the odds. Not only do they know the area better, but the additional resources makes things all the easier.

For example, Amanda has the "Base of Operations" background. And its a nicely secluded hunting cabin in Children of Gaia territory with a nice armory in the basement. This would be an excellent place to hide.

Pooling backgrounds between char is allowed. So you could give her your dot of domain, or other freebie points and give it to Psychie so that she can make the base of operations even better.

Right now its not werewolf proof, but it could be if invested in.

Also, while you could set up a warding against werewolves, that would also affect Amanda.

And lastly! Your combination of flaws definitely puts you in a spot of trouble. Definitely a self inflicted hard mode. But you aren't without options, you aren't without allies, and you aren't without a storyteller who is willing to help you along and make things work.

As another option, getting the animalism discipline lets you can up the game of a ghoul pet. They make useful allies, a daytime defense, scouts, and extra detection abilities.

Something you might be interested in aiming for.

I've had a rough day today, but I promise that I'll have an IC post up ASAP.

For example, Amanda has the "Base of Operations" background. And its a nicely secluded hunting cabin in Children of Gaia territory with a nice armory in the basement. This would be an excellent place to hide.

Pooling backgrounds between char is allowed. So you could give her your dot of domain, or other freebie points and give it to Psychie so that she can make the base of operations even better.

That would be a great idea if Jack hadn't apparently shot Amanda's cousin or something last night. I think they're in for a rocky start. Did Jack at least have a good reason for shooting this werewolf? Were they attacking someone, or walking around near the city drunk and in war form or something? The bullets probably just tickled them, but I can see that argument not playing particularly well with Amanda. I suppose she might be a little bit less angry if Jack shot the one she beat up, but even then she probably feels like it's only okay if she beats him up, and that doesn't extend to some random vampire shooting him.

Also did the werewolf just like run away after getting shot or something? I figure that would just make them angry, and then they'd come after you.

Actually, Amanda's cousin is not the werewolf, but is Kelsey, the new vampire in the city. She was a mere mortal that was trying to stop a mugging, and got beaten up and shot for her efforts, left to die in an alleyway before her Sire showed himself and turned her into a vampire herself.

Oh, yes, sorry, her other cousin. I actually have no idea if it was her cousin, but D. Rex declared Jack had shot a local werewolf recently, and is thus known far and wide as an annoying shit-stirrer for disturbing the peace. Presumably that werewolf was somehow related to Amanda, as her family is the only game in town (that I know of).

You do raise an excellent point, though, in that Kelsey is likely to also be annoyed that Jack shot her cousin. Perhaps more than Amanda, who would at least think being shot was not a particularly big deal. Kelsey, being mortal so recently, likely thinks shooting her distant family members a much greater offense.

That would be a great idea if Jack hadn't apparently shot Amanda's cousin or something last night. I think they're in for a rocky start. Did Jack at least have a good reason for shooting this werewolf? Were they attacking someone, or walking around near the city drunk and in war form or something? The bullets probably just tickled them, but I can see that argument not playing particularly well with Amanda. I suppose she might be a little bit less angry if Jack shot the one she beat up, but even then she probably feels like it's only okay if she beats him up, and that doesn't extend to some random vampire shooting him.

Also did the werewolf just like run away after getting shot or something? I figure that would just make them angry, and then they'd come after you.
Oh, yes, sorry, her other cousin. I actually have no idea if it was her cousin, but D. Rex declared Jack had shot a local werewolf recently, and is thus known far and wide as an annoying shit-stirrer for disturbing the peace. Presumably that werewolf was somehow related to Amanda, as her family is the only game in town (that I know of).

You do raise an excellent point, though, in that Kelsey is likely to also be annoyed that Jack shot her cousin. Perhaps more than Amanda, who would at least think being shot was not a particularly big deal. Kelsey, being mortal so recently, likely thinks shooting her distant family members a much greater offense.

Not all the werewolves are blood related. While there are families and their kinfolk, it isn't one big bloodline. Further more, the Sept has a couple of different tribes making it up.

You shot A werewolf.

Basically what you did was the equivalent of breaking someone's nose for going up to you and asking what you were doing there.

In your defense, you had no idea. Most outsiders don't have any idea. The idea that werewolves and kindred are not actively killing each other is mostly unthinkable.

What you did was more akin to a major social faux pas than a crime. As a matter of fact, scuffles and fights happen pretty often between kindred and the lupines. A bit of harassing and roughing up, mostly.

The only reason you are catching any flak for it is because you are an outsider and you don't know how things work around here.

They aren't out gunning to kill you, or beat you down, or shun you... they just think you're some yankee city slicker. They'll rib you, tease you, and give you a hard time, but that is the extent of it. Maybe give you silly name if they are feeling playful.

Mechanically speaking, you might not get the local discounts, will need to try a little harder to prove yourself, and so on. Small. Things that are inconveniences.

You are new and don't fit in, and you tripped over your feet on the first impressions.

As for the werewolf, you probably shot him to get away.

But! This was just a scenario that popped into my head. We can think up another or change this one accordingly if you find it unsatisfactory.

I also have the domain thing for Kira’s little loft above the strip club . I see it very protected from the sun and who would think to go to a strip club to look for someone ? Also the owner is an ally for kira and he’s involved in the gangs of the city so he comes armed and protected .
Random Word Random Word D. Rex D. Rex

Not all the werewolves are blood related.

Aha, okay, that's much easier.

As for the werewolf, you probably shot him to get away.

But! This was just a scenario that popped into my head. We can think up another or change this one accordingly if you find it unsatisfactory.

No, no, just trying to figure out how it went down. Can werewolves tell vampires from mortals by smell/sight? I'm guessing I wouldn't know he was a werewolf (don't have Auspex yet, but I presume werewolves have a different aura) unless he was in a hybrid form, and he wouldn't do that in the city, so maybe Jack was outside town having a beer by the lake, and either the were decided to scare off the mortal or knew Jack was a vamp and decided to freak him out, so he walks up in a hybrid form and Jack panics, says, "Oh, piss off, mate!", puts a few rounds in his kneecap, jumps in the SUV, and tells the ghoul to floor it.

I also have the domain thing for Kira’s little loft above the strip club . I see it very protected from the sun and who would think to go to a strip club to look for someone ? Also the owner is an ally for kira and he’s involved in the gangs of the city so he comes armed and protected .

I am totally willing to donate my one dot of Domain to Kira in exchange for a spare room above a strip club, or to Amanda for a basement room in the cabin.

No, no, just trying to figure out how it went down. Can werewolves tell vampires from mortals by smell/sight? I'm guessing I wouldn't know he was a werewolf (don't have Auspex yet, but I presume werewolves have a different aura) unless he was in a hybrid form, and he wouldn't do that in the city, so maybe Jack was outside town having a beer by the lake, and either the were decided to scare off the mortal or knew Jack was a vamp and decided to freak him out, so he walks up in a hybrid form and Jack panics, says, "Oh, piss off, mate!", puts a few rounds in his kneecap, jumps in the SUV, and tells the ghoul to floor it.
There are some Gifts that allow a werewolf to sense the presence of "creatures of the Wyrm", and vampires fall into that category. Also, depending on the were's senses, they may be able to smell the fact that a vampire is actually a dead body. But that second one would require (in my opinion) a high level of Perception + Awareness, or a high difficulty threshold to break.

Aha, okay, that's much easier.

I am totally willing to donate my one dot of Domain to Kira in exchange for a spare room above a strip club, or to Amanda for a basement room in the cabin.

As sherwood explained, no, a werewolf can not inherently detect vampires without the appropriate gifts. And without the gifts they would need to make an appropriate awareness or alertness roll to do so.

Though I would say that at such a roll, they would have a lesser difficulty of detecting a vampire than a vampire would have of detecting a werewolf. Still difficult in either case.

And conversely, a vampire would need auspex or a good awareness roll to detect one.

As a side note, if a vampire wanted to throw a werewolf off, spending a point of blood to active the flush of life would make it much harder to detect a vampire, as they wouldn't be able to tell they were dead.

So I think that sort of meeting you suggested works quite well.

As for your point of donation! Upgrading Amanda's cabin would be more beneficial for the group as a whole as it is already the best option for a safehouse they currently have.

I would also rule that a 1 dot domain could house two vampires without much of an issue.

Sorry, Kira. I'd contribute to pimping out your strip club, but the ST clearly has a thing for cabins in the woods, so I'll give my Domain point to Amanda.

Jack actually has enough Humanity to permanently walk around with the flush of life (0 blood points). Vampires are weirded out by the way he breathes all the time, is warm to the touch, and eats food. I really wanted the one that makes your Aura look mortal, just to maximize the confusion, but I couldn't quite fit it.

Sorry, Kira. I'd contribute to pimping out your strip club, but the ST clearly has a thing for cabins in the woods, so I'll give my Domain point to Amanda.

Jack actually has enough Humanity to permanently walk around with the flush of life (0 blood points). Vampires are weirded out by the way he breathes all the time, is warm to the touch, and eats food. I really wanted the one that makes your Aura look mortal, just to maximize the confusion, but I couldn't quite fit it.
Alrighty then.

And that isn't to say the strip club won't be useful.

While the strip club will certainly be a useful place for us, and it keeps you safe from the sun and generally hidden...

Even security of your allies would not stop a rampaging Black Spiral Dancer should one locate and descend upon the establishment. Even at two dots.

They are werewolves, rabid and corrupted. Unlike the other tribes who try to protect the planet and keep balance, the Black Spiral Dancers are the opposite. They seek to defile and destroy. And are plagued with disease and derangements.

They have become creatures of the wyrm.

On the plus side! Of any of the garou, they are the most likely to work with vampires, as vampires often help accomplish the agendas of the weaver and the wyrm alike.

Then again, they may also equally be in the mood to see how close they can torture you to true death without sending you into torpor, or see how much werewolf blood you can stomach and take bets on whether you will pop or go truly insane first.

And that's among the nicer stuff.

They also make good hired muscle.

Needless to say, your strip club, allies included, would not be prepared for a garou assault.

Keep this in mind, even a single werewolf can be a challenge for several young vampires like yourselves. And it is commonly recognized among the Kindred that it is wisest to flee.

So when I call Amanda the party tank, I'm more specifically referring to her being an M1 Abrams.

Psychie Psychie
You have been gifted a dot to add to your cabin in the woods!

Luxury, security, or size. To which would you like to add it to?

And any sleeping vampires and special mortal under protection that may be there.

Just been super busy this weekend guys. Don't worry, I'm still here. Will post soon as I can to get this rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back